• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 3,893 Views, 126 Comments

The SinEater of Equestria: Cataclysm - DVB



Woe to he fated to bring about the great change of the world, for he must accept the burdens of all

  • ...
8
 126
 3,893

Chapter V- Effect

A/N: Hey everypony, he's back!!! Sorry I was gone. I got hit with writer's block as well as post-finals anxiety. Well, with my current semester done, all I could do is wait for my grades. Oh boy. Anyways, the contest is still-ongoing. I will try and get into the process of updating this as well as adjusting to the new format. Thank you for having patience and enjoy

Chapter V: Effect

Now, Golden Star was a serious pony. He was the serious one of the duo while his brother was more of the goofball. He had once recalled a situation where his brother was in trouble. Star Silver ended up describing it so silent you could hear a pin drop.

A quirky hyperbole in the opinion of Golden Star.

However, the deafening silence that exploded throughout the room was perhaps this rarely achieved level of stillness.

It was highly unnerving to say the least. The Star brothers faced one another, at a loss of what to say and . They were unaware that the others had garnered attention of their own theory.

However, based on their expressions, it was an idea that was not even in their minds. The idea of someone close to them leaving because of insensitivity at the worst time and place… it was a piercing thought that shook them up.

Golden Star recomposed himself however. He and his brother were tasked with the return of Twilight Sparkle. However, if the third theory proved true, then the only approach was to let the Princess and Twilight's companions compose themselves. His and Silver's primary directive is to locate Twilight Sparkle and escort her back, safely and soundly. The secondary directive was to investigate behind said disappearance. If it is the third theory, then it would be investigating where Discord has gone to.

Golden Star . Star Silver looked confused before his eyes lit up and agreed. If Twilight Sparkle was to come back and if she left because of the betrayal felt, then to them it was simple.

Princess Celestia and Twilight’s friends would need to confront their side of error and come up to apologize and make amends. They would bring her here only when they were ready.

“…We will leave you to… formulate your plans, your highness,” Golden Star said before he led his brother out and closed the doors. They took a few steps before letting out held breaths.

“I didn’t expect to overhear us… but maybe it was for the best,” Star Silver said to break the awkward silence.

“Agreed,” Golden Star said before he felt his brother give him a hug. Golden Star returned the hug with a soft smile. The epiphany must have reminded them of the fights they had in their youth.

“So, what’s the plan now, bro?” Star Silver said as they continued to walk. “Well, we need to figure out where Twilight Sparkle could have gone,” Golden Star said as he paused to look at a map of Equestria. Star Silver also looked at it.

“Hmm… Well, probably none of the major cities and she couldn’t have gone too far. My best guess could be the woods of Foal Mountain or the Ruins near Everfree,” Star Silver said as his brother nodded. “We should send out some of the pegasi to find any signs of her,” Star Silver added as they continued. As they headed to spread the word, they overheard some of the soldiers berate themselves for failing to notice the suspicious behavior of Princess Cadence’s imposter.

“Looks like hindsight is 20/20,” Star Silver mumbled to himself before he and his brother wondered how the others were taking the news.

Both were unaware that they were near an open window and a certain ruler of the night overheard matters. “I best talk to sister and the others,” Princess Luna mumbled to herself before heading off to the throne room.

Back in the throne room, silence continued to haunt the room. Spike and the rest of the Mane 6 continued to look at one another with shock. Princess Celestia was the first to recover herself.

“My little ponies… I think it is best if we try and… digest this theory amongst ourselves. You are free to wander the castle while we think,” Princess Celestia said carefully. The others simply nodded as they left the throne room. They ended up dividing into pairs. Fluttershy went with Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie went with Applejack and Spike ended up with Rarity. Silence had dominated the room. It was a personal trial for every pony as they had to face up to the errors they committed to one of their dearest friends.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Celestia was looking outside the window, or rather at her reflection. The idea of her student leaving because of their actions was a haunting one. However, the more she thought about it, the more it made sense. She had been recalling some of the troubles her student went through for her sake.

She felt sick to her stomach. She looked to the reflection. She was trying to think of a plan. Something…

Anything!

And yet, all she could do was keep the calm face. The one she wore since…

Since she had to banish Luna to the moon after failing to save her from the influence of the Nightmare…?

Since she and Luna along with their friends against Discord and they were the only ones left…?

Since… she could not remember anymore…

For what seemed like an eternity of confusion and silence, Celestia stared at the cool mask she had been wearing since possibly fillyhood. However, something or rather someone broke the silence.

“Celestia? Are thou okay?” a familiar voice said.

Celestia turned around to see her younger sister, staring at her with concern. “I overheard from the guards what had transpired,” Princess Luna said as she came over to Celestia.

“…I am ashamed of myself, Luna. For the last few days, everyone had been in such a rush to accomplish matters for the wedding that we let the Changeling Queen fool us. Not only that, but my niece was trapped in those caves for several days and worst of all, when Twilight pronounced her suspicions…” Celestia began saying, but she found herself unable to finish to her statement.

Unable to voice to express her failure in her student.

Princess Luna remained quiet. She didn’t know much about Cadence so she could not voice her judgments well. “But… surely, Twilight Sparkle did not know Princess Cadence that well, although I confess in not knowing her well” she suggested.

“That’s right. Cadence was Twilight’s foalsitter. They even have a song and dance they performed each time they saw one another, a memory Twilight never forgot. Beyond that, Cadence was able to take any demanding task and perform it with her characteristic warmth and kindness. Compared the amount of days that we spent with the imposter and her behavior and the few hours we had and how the real Princess Cadence behaved,” Celestia explained as she thought back.

The differences were there in plain sight, with the only person to see it was Twilight Sparkle.

Her faithful student, yet she did not return the faith. She trusted her to bring her back her sister and to stop Discord. To do the tasks that Celestia could not do.

“I wished her luck in stopping Discord and I had faith in saving you, but only now I grasp what I was asking her to do. To be honest, Luna, it terrifies and sickens me. I sent six little ponies to fight against Discord, the Spirit of Chaos. I let them take my place to play his twisted games,” Celestia said.

“Our place, sister. I cannot imagine the ordeal Twilight and her friends underwent to stop him,” Luna said as she stepped closer to Celestia.

“I am supposed to protect Equestria from threats. Yet it seems like the only one who has been doing was Twilight and the others. Have I grown so… so…?” Celestia said as her calm front began to deteriorate. She couldn’t think of the word. Weak? Dependent?

“Sister…” Luna said before Celestia gently put her hoof on Luna’s mouth, determined to try and finish what she was saying.

“After I sealed you in the moon, I had grown lonely. I long practiced to put up this calm front, but Luna… I was scared without you. Looking back, I realized there must have been something I could have done to save you without having to seal you in the moon. Then again, I used the Elements myself… only me…” Celestia said as she looked down.

“All those centuries… I was lonely. Only having myself, I did my best for our kingdom and subjects, but it was with great difficulty. I cannot remember the last time I went out to do something fun for myself until… until I met Twilight,” Celestia continued.

“Just having her there, how she looked up to me and how much she has done, it was wonderful for me. The opportunity to see her grow filled a void in my heart. However, I didn’t want her to grow up alone like me. While she had Spike, she needed to learn the Magic of Friendship. She had met her wonderful friends that I had managed to meet,” Celestia struggled as the first tears began to fall down.

“She was the first joy I obtained in all these years and yet I let her down. Even yesterday, when it came to stop Chrysalis, it was not me who stopped her, but it was Twilight. All that time, I should have appreciated having her…” Celestia said before she couldn’t continue. She stood there as she let tears go down her eyes.

Celestia could no longer control herself and let her mask break. She let all the emotions she locked fall through over all the events that had transpired with Discord, Luna, the Nightmare Moon incident, the loneliness that came with it, meeting Twilight, seeing her sister come back, unable to do nearly anything as her little ponies were tortured at the hands of Discord and now at the suffering her niece had through and the heartbreak she had put her student through.

Luna could only watch her sister before she rushed and enveloped her sister in a hug.

Celestia was caught offguard before she embraced her sister back and let herself cry. As she began calming down, Luna began to speak once more.

“The guard, Star Silver… he said that hindsight was 20/20. I did not understand what that meant so I asked another one. He told me that looking back, we were able to reflect on the mistakes we made. Many of the guards themselves express disdain toward themselves for not catching on sooner,” Princess Luna began before looking at her older sister and wiping a tear from her eye.

“Princess Cadence holds no grudge against you. I believe Twilight Sparkle holds none against you. She idolizes you. Everything will turn out all right,” Princess Luna said as she smiled. “She is a good pony and I am sure she will forgive you and her friends,” Luna said. Celestia managed to smile back as she wiped her tears. She faced the window.

She dearly wanted to see her student again and spend time with her, not just as mentor and student, but also as friends. Yet, Celestia could not calm the guilt within. As she looked to her rebuilding kingdom, she reflected on her actions or lack of. She began worrying not just for Twilight Sparkle, but also for Spike, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy also.

She couldn’t afford to remain the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow Dash snapped out of her silent depression as she turned to her companion, Fluttershy. They had been silent for a long time as they began heading to the palace gardens. Rainbow Dash had been debating that it was Discord since it was Twilight who saved them…

Then they overheard the theory.

The guards were just a bit too loud and they grew curious as they overheard more and more until it unfolded before them.

Rainbow Dash was not comfortable in the slightest. Then again, neither was Fluttershy.

“Uh… Rainbow?” Fluttershy questioned her once more. Rainbow Dash was aware but didn’t know what to say.

“…Let’s fly a bit,” Rainbow Dash mumbled. Rainbow Dash then went into the sky followed by Fluttershy. They didn’t traveled that far up. In fact, Rainbow Dash just flew high enough to get a cloud before coming down near the top of the castle and sulking on her cloud. Fluttershy got a cloud of her own and went to Rainbow Dash.

The two pegasi remained silent until something caught Fluttershy’s eye. It was Philomena. Fluttershy couldn’t help but smile at seeing the phoenix fly. Rainbow Dash also noticed her.

“I’m glad she is well. I remember when I tried to cure her. Nothing seemed to be working. Then Twilight found and she tried to help me get her back…” Fluttershy said as watched the firebird fly around the rooftops of Canterlot Castle.

“Yeah… Twilight always helps us when we need it…” Rainbow Dash as she buried her head in the clouds. She could feel bile, warm and slimy, oozing up her throat, but she kept it down. She was trying to hold it together, but failing miserably.

Memories of her time with Twilight played in her head... Some good… some bad…

Then came the match of Discord…

It was without a doubt one of her greatest shames.

Not only was she the one to make them lose the ‘game,’ one with the prize not even involved, but she was the last one to be cured…

She clutched the cloud she was on as the first of tears were spilling out.
She remembered discussing with the others of what to do with Twilight…before they found out the bride was an imposter… She was the one say that Twilight needed to make up for the trouble that happened… that they were going to give her a serious talk…

Then this occurred… her words seem quite cruel…

Contrary to what they had spoken, they were the ones who needed to be forgiven…

“Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy said as she looked at her friend. Rainbow Dash looked up to see the concerned look on Fluttershy’s face.

“Oh, what have we done?!” Rainbow Dash said in an outburst, frightening the shy pegasus. However, shock turned to concern and sadness when Rainbow Dash enveloped Fluttershy in a tight embrace.

Fluttershy looked down as she slowly hugged her friend back. She knew that for all of Rainbow Dash’s arrogance and brashness, she still has an inner part of herself that was terrified. If she failed, if… if…

“Fluttershy… I… we…” Rainbow Dash sobbed out before burying her head back. Fluttershy could not do much but hold Rainbow Dash. After another while, Rainbow Dash sat back and hiccupped.

“…Twilight needed us… and I… we failed…” Rainbow Dash began as she wiped her wet eyes. Fluttershy said nothing though she felt her own tears begin coming down also.

“It was just like the Smartypants incident. She was suffering from something and we didn’t take her seriously,” Rainbow Dash said as she curled up into a ball while on the cloud.

“She was always there for us… for me. She stuck by us, through everything. And yet… I’m ashamed of myself, Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash confessed to the meek pegasus.

“There we were, arguing about what to do with Twilight, how about how she had to make it up for the outburst, but now… we were the ones that messed up,” Rainbow Dash said a bit louder. “I’m supposed to be the Element of Loyalty. But… I let her down… twice now. Now, she’s in danger or she’s mad at us and its all of our fault!” Rainbow Dash said louder still as she buried her head in her hooves.

“…You’re not the only one who let her down. We all did,” Fluttershy said as she recovered from Rainbow Dash’s minor outburst. Rainbow Dash looked up to see her friend also look downcast. “I’m the Element of Kindness, but… I didn’t show any kindness to her. None of us did,” Fluttershy muttered as she also looked down.

Silence dominated the area once more. The area also darkened slightly from the clouds that blocked Celestia’s sun.

“Looking back, we made a lot of mistakes, haven’t we?” Fluttershy muttered as she looked up at the sky, gradually being filled with clouds.

She had taken the word over a stranger over one of her best friends. Granted, Twilight did get a little flighty, remembering her reaction on what Celestia would have done regarding her pet phoenix. At the same time, Twilight seem to have known Princes Cadance. She was also the smartest one and while she may have the tendency to exaggerate facts under duress, she wasn’t a liar.

But now she was gone… Twilight Sparkle was gone from them…

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy looked at one another before Fluttershy realized something.

“…But we can’t give up,” Fluttershy said as her eyes widened. Rainbow Dash saw the change of expression on Fluttershy’s face. “Just because I was unkind to her then… that doesn’t mean I can’t be kind to her now and fix this…” Fluttershy said with a realizing tone. “Yeah… I mean… loyalty means not giving up… I’m not giving up on Twilight. I’ll apologize everyday… I’ll even write it in the sky every day!” Rainbow Dash said as she began cheering up. She then hugs Fluttershy who hugs her back.

“It’s odd… normally you’re the forgiving one, but I also see you’re the first to ask for forgiveness,” Rainbow Dash commented on her before looking down in slight shame.

“It’s something I noticed about you, Rainbow Dash. You show a lot of humility…” Fluttershy said, much to the confusion of Rainbow. “It’s hard for you, but the fact that you still try is important…” Fluttershy told her. Rainbow Dash smiled and felt reassured.

However, both pegasi girls felt something was amiss however as they flew back to the palace...

Author's Note:

Author’s Notes: And that’s a wrap. I planned for Effect to be one chapter, but I decided to divide into two chapters. Sorry this was late. I am trying to get back into writing and trying to get into the heads of the characters can be hard when a bit rusty.

As usual, keep voting for the name of the changeling and base idea.

Here is a preview of the next chapter:

“Twilight… before I do this. I have to tell you the truth. About my powers…” Anomaly said as he was in the clear opening. Twilight Sparkle leaned her head forward slightly. The changelings were mostly asleep, but the one in the jar was also listening.

“I’m listening…” Twilight said, feeling anticipation and anxiety from the possible answer.

“It has to do with Discord…”