• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,328 Views, 1,428 Comments

At the Grand Galloping Gala - RainbowDoubleDash



The Lunaverse-6 must navigate the treacherous Grand Galloping Gala in order to bring aid to Ponyville

  • ...
21
 1,428
 7,328

9. At the Gala

This being the middle of summer, or close enough in any event, the sun was still hanging in the sky as Princess Luna entered Canterlot Castle’s great, wide courtyard. It was dipping notably towards the horizon, of course, but it was still there, bathing the land in orange and red, as Luna separated herself from her Night Guards, leaving them at the courtyard’s edge. The courtyard was empty of ponies, and several statues and benches had been moved off to the side and out of the way as well to make room.

Luna fluttered her wings a few times, stretching them, as she closed her eyes and trotted towards the courtyard’s center. In the most technical of senses, she was about to cast a spell, using her horn as a focus, as a unicorn might – but this was so very far beyond what any unicorn could achieve, at least in the short time frame that she was working with. As she came to a stop in the center of the courtyard, her entire body glowed with deep blue magic, coursing along her hooves and wings, and up through her horn.

The Grand Galloping Gala was one of the most prestigious events in all of Equestria, and an ancient one, dating back to a time of gathering the three pony tribes together, encouraging mixing and coexistence. It was normally held in the Grand Hall, but with the addition of some one to two hundred guests – depending on how many of the invited Ponyvillians came, and took advantage of their plus-ones – the Grand Hall, already usually very full, would simply not suffice in this instance. The courtyard was the only location in Canterlot Castle large enough for such a gathering. Now, Luna had to make it look the part.

Luna finished gathering her magical might, exhaled, and cast her spell. A few minute later, and the courtyard was ready. She trotted away from her work, joining her Night Guard, who themselves had just finished acknowledging the arrival of her captain of the guard, Shining Armor.

“Good evening, captain,” Luna said after he had finished bowing to her. “Your final report?”

Shining Armor looked past the Princess, to the result of her spell. “Security will be…difficult, but I’m confident that my ponies can exceed expectations,” he said.

“Let’s just hope that this one lasts a bit longer,” Luna said, a trace of guilty mirth in her voice.

Shining Armor shifted slightly. “I certainly hope so, Majesty…though, on that note, I actually just saw your student, Miss Lulamoon.”

Luna’s eyes widened slightly. “Oh?” she asked.

“Yes. She had some…interesting…things to say…”

---

“Why aren’t you ready yet?” Blueblood demanded as he knocked on the door to the salon. He had waited at his office for half an hour before one of Trixie’s acquaintances – the pegasus, something Doo, or Doo something, Blueblood couldn’t remember much other than being unnerved by her walled eyes – had flown over to inform him that she was running late on preparing, and he’d have to meet her at the salon.

“Because I’m – gah ow Carrot Top careful! – not exactly used to wearing dresses!” Trixie called from the other side of the door. “And this thing – ow! Ow!

“Oh, pipe down!” Another mare’s voice – presumably Carrot Top’s – said from the room. “It’s supposed to be tight!”

“Can’t…breathe…”

“Uh,” a third voice said from the other side. “Carrot Top, she’s turning blue.”

“She is blue.”

“Yeah, but…more blue…now a little purple…”

“Hmm…good point, hang on…”

Blueblood put a hoof to his face, sighing as he turned around. There were three other mares – the Doo something or other, another pegasus by the name of Raindrops, and an earth pony, Cheerilee. Blueblood had to admit that, even considering that they were commoners, the three looked absolutely stunning, their manes expertly styled by the salon’s staff, and their dresses each perfectly complimenting their coats, eyes, and builds, even including small touches that suggested their cutie marks. In addition to the mares, there was a small, gray unicorn filly, probably the gray pegasus’ little sister, Blueblood imagined. As she was a foal, her outfit was a very simple dress and skirt – even the most wealthy of nobles usually didn’t spend much money on clothes for foals, since they grew out of them quickly and clothing was usually reserved for special occasions only.

Most importantly, to Blueblood, anyway, the viscount noted that the three of them were having a hard time keeping their eyes off of him. His strict morning regimen and diet for the past month leading up to the gala had clearly worked out in his favor, not to mention the small army of mane stylists, horn filers, and other experts he employed to keep him looking his best at all times, and even better on important nights like tonight.

Blueblood flashed the jasmine pegasus a smile. He noted a slight twitch to her wings at it, though she looked otherwise like she was trying very hard to not let him know that she had been staring. Blueblood smirked to himself as he turned back to the door. He had no serious chance with Trixie, he knew. Perhaps her friends were not quite so standoffish, however. He had all night to find out.

Hate corsets…” A hiss came out from behind the door. “Hate them sooo much…”

Blueblood groaned as he checked his pocket watch. It read 7:35. The salon happened to be close to the castle, so they could still make it to the opening ceremony if they left right now. “How much longer?” Blueblood demanded again.

“Just a minute!” A forth voice said from behind the door. “Honestly, Trixie, you’ve only been to five of these in the past, I don’t see how you couldn’t know how to put on a dress.”

“I didn’t wear dresses to them.”

“Please do not remind me,” Blueblood said, sighing. In response, there was a flash of blue light from behind the door – and standing before Blueblood suddenly was Trixie, bedecked in a purple and gold jacket with a frilled neckline and sleeves, a deep, deep blue, frilled undershirt, a short purple cape, and a purple top-hat. In short, she looked like a magician at some stage show in Las Pegasus, not somepony who had been personally tutored by the Princess.

Blueblood stared at the illusory Trixie – for of course that’s what it was – and sighed, covering his eyes with his hooves. “Trixie, I beg of you, please tell me you’re not wearing anything that remotely resembles that this year…”

“Well, it is purple,” Trixie said, as the illusion disappeared. After a moment, the door to the back of the salon finally opened. Inside were four mares – Lyra Heartstrings was one that Blueblood already knew, of course, though he kept that fact to himself. She wore a gown that looked like an old Roam stola and toga ensemble, white and gold with a golden wreath atop her head. Standing close to her was a cream earth pony, bedecked in her own gown of dark blue and pink, while a third, an earth pony mare with orange tresses, wore a simple yet quite fetching dress.

Blueblood’s concern, however, was for Trixie – and much to his own surprise, she did not disappoint. Her mane was largely tied up, though she kept a few locks forward over her eye in her usual style. Her hair had been decorated with a small amount of glitter, while she wore blue earrings shaped like stars. Her dress was purple, of course, the same purple of her cape, with a high collar and deeper purple undershirt, while her dress’ chain was decorated with small stars, much more subtle in appearance than her cape. Whoever had designed her dress had done an excellent job.

Trixie smiled at Blueblood, striking a slight pose that Blueblood supposed was what Trixie thought constituted ‘alluring.’ “Well?” she asked.

Blueblood considered her as her friends left the back of the salon, joining the rest of Trixie’s acquaintances. “Quite fetching. Can we please get a move on now?”

Trixie’s eyes widened. “Quite fetching? That’s all I get from you?”

Blueblood glared slightly at that. “Well, how would you rate me?” Trixie blanched at that, and Blueblood nodded. “Exactly. This is a business arrangement, Trixie, don’t think I’ll forget that simply because you’ve chosen to dress nicely.”

The blue unicorn sighed, shaking her head. “This is going to be a long night…"

---

The streets outside of Canterlot Castle bustled with ponies of every tribe – even pegasi, who joined their fellow ponies on the ground before the gates that they would soon be walking through, as it would have been uncouth in the extreme to simply fly over the walls and essentially skip the line into the castle itself when the Gala officially began.

There were nobles of every stripe – margravines and dukes, counts and baronets, viscounts and vicereines, as well as their husbands, or wives, or lovers, or even just casual acquaintances. There were the Wonderbolts, here to put on a show over the Gala, and famous musicians and playwrights and actors and authors. There were dozens others who were lucky enough to have acquired a ticket, all dressed in their finest.

And arriving by train, there were others as well – Ponyvillians, two hundred of them, everypony who had been lucky enough to win this morning’s raffle having decided to come, and every one of them having taken advantage of their plus-ones. They were dressed in their finest, too. The difference between the Ponyvillian finest and the elite of Equestrian society’s finest was immense, especially given all that Ponyville had been through over the past week, though sheer weight of numbers on the Ponyvillian side – now consisting of about a fifth of the total guests – ensured that nopony said anything.

Duke Greengrass moved easily through the crowd of ponies that waited with varying degrees of patience outside of Canterlot’s gates. He shook hooves and traded some jokes with them, scoping out the feel of this year’s Gala. The unexpected arrival of the Ponyvillians had thrown off many of the nobility, making some timid of how to act, what to do, if the usual political battlefield that was the Gala was still open or if the presence of so many of the peasantry had made this year’s Gala off-limits. Greengrass had decided that until he had a good reason to think otherwise, he was going to do what he always did: throw his lines and see what he could do, what alliances he could make, who he could embarrass, and so on. There was a particular spring to his step this year, after what had happened to Lulamoon yesterday – he’d worried that she would be making a fool of herself at the Gala this year, as she had every year, but after tearing through Canterlot in tears at whatever Night Light had said to her, he sorely doubted he’d be seeing her any time soon. To an extent, it was unfortunate – he’d hoped to attempt another power play tonight – but, c’est la vie.

Greengrass put on a plastic smile when he ran into one particular pony. “Ah, Archduke Fisher!” he exclaimed, as several pre-Gala fireworks began going off in the sky, seeming to carry their own thrum and life to them.

Fisher acknowledged Greengrass with a nod, and returned his bow when Greengrass gave it. “Duke Greengrass,” he greeted.

Greengrass looked around at the gathered guests. “Dear Fisher, what a splendid party!

“The midpoint to a prosperous year,” Fisher agreed.

“Quite a night, I’m impressed!”

“Well one does one’s best,”

“He’s to us!” The two sang together, “the toast of all the city – ”

“But what a pity that dear Trixie won’t be here!” Greengrass finished.

The song was moving through the crowd – pegasus wings flapping, unicorn horns glowing, the fireworks and their own hooves setting the beat. As one, the thousand ponies sang together:

“At the Gala! Nearly ready to begin –
“At the Gala, past the gates there’s a night of endless wonder!
“At the Gala! Open up and let us in –
“At the Gala, food and drink to sate anypony’s hunger!”

“Flash of mauve,
“Splash of puce,
“Croup dock haunch,
“Lack of nous,
“Green and black,
“Red and white,
“What’s he wearing?
“Such a sight!”

“Faces!
“Take your turn
“Take a ride
“On the merry-go-round
“But don’t you lose your place!”

“Eye of gold,
“Point of blue,
“True is false,
“Who is who?
“Curl of lip,
“Swirl of gown,
“Break their hearts,
“Keep it down!”

“Faces!
“Drink it in,
“Drink it up,
“’Till you’ve drowned
“In the light, in the sound,
“But can you carve your place?”

The Ponyvillians weren’t singing quite as strongly as the rest of the crowd – they kept to themselves, mostly – but for everypony else singing, they understood what their words were – a declaration that the quiet game of cloak and dagger that was every year’s Gala, was still on.

“At the Gala! Grinning yellows, spinning reds –
“At the Gala, take your fill, let the spectacle astound you
“At the Gala! Burning glances, turning heads –
“At the Gala! stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you.”

The nobles’ singing dropped several octaves as they looked furtively between each other.

“At the Gala, Seething shadows breathing lies –
“At the Gala, you can fool any friend who ever knew you!”

The low voices didn’t last, of course –

“At the Gala! Leering presence, peering eyes –
“At the Gala, run and hide, but a face will still pursue you!”

“What a night!” Greengrass heard a familiar, nearby voice sing. Duchess Posey was nearby, Baron Mounty Max alongside her, and nearby the long-elusive old crone that was Vicereine Puissance, apparently having left her telegraph in order to attend the Gala.

“What a crowd!” Greengrass agreed with Posey. “Makes you glad,”

“Makes you proud!” Fisher added. “All the crème de la crème,”

“Watching us watching them,” Puissance noted.

Posey frowned. “All our fears for all to see – ”

Fisher sang over her. “A grand night!”

“Of untruth, of denial,” Posey countered.

“Oh don’t be so uncouth!” Greengrass countered. “You chose to play the game,”

“Taking notes, seeing ghosts,” Baron Mounty Max added in a low voice.

“Well here’s a health!” Puissance insisted, procuring a flask from within the folds of her dress, the most ostentatious of any in the crowd. “He’s a toast!”

“To a prosperous year,” Greengrass agreed, “to our friends who are here,”

“Maybe we shouldn’t have come,” Mounty suggested to Posey.

“Oh you’re no fun!” Greengrass insisted. “After all, it’s the Grand Gala!”

“Look at it,” Trixie said. She was with her friends at the edge of the crowd, a slight hill on the road leading up Canterlot’s front gate. The thousand or so ponies that were waiting eagerly for the Gala to begin were milling before them as Trixie trotted alongside her friends, Blueblood having been temporarily ‘lost’ so the six of them could gather together one more time. “Our secret battleground,” Trixie added. “Nowhere left to hide…just look at it.”

Carrot Top grimaced. “Maybe this isn’t the best of ideas,” she ventured. “So much could go wrong…”

“We can still back out,” Trixie said, putting a hoof to the vial, hiding in her dress, that held the Truth is a Scourge.

“And let all of this go to waste?” Raindrops asked. “We’re here now. We have to make things right.”

“Come on, what’s left to be afraid of?” Cheerilee asked, doing her best to smile for her friends.

Lyra and Ditzy both sang together.

“All that’s happened… (let’s not argue…)
“All we’ve seen… (…we can only hope…)
“Now’s when we have to act… (…that this is the only way…)”

Blueblood arrived then, looking somewhat annoyed at Trixie for having ditched him. She offered a smile, shrugging as she nuzzled each of her friends closely, for re-assurance and strength, and she separated from them and, with Blueblood, began making her way into the crowd. The music was taking care of itself for now, ponies spinning and conversing with each other in low voices. Trixie had never been here before, at the pre-show – it was one of the benefits of being Luna’s student. She looked at it now as a virtual outsider, though with her vision also colored by what she now knew of the Night Court.

She saw the glares and sneers, the whispers and derisive laughter. The nobles glided through the crowd effortlessly, keeping their eyes on each other, heads looking this way and that. Their muzzles were held high in the air as their regarded their lessers, avoiding their predators while they sought out their prey. Already some nobles were wearing smirks of triumph, or their masks were cracking and showing the tragedy that had already been inflicted upon them.

This was what Trixie had wanted. This was the Night Court at its purest. A whispered word, a subtle threat, a few misplaced papers, and the whole pulse of Equestria could change. For the barest moment, Night Light’s ultimatum seemed more like an invitation. But only for a moment – and even if she had accepted it, she knew she could never leave the Night Court without making at least some attempt at fixing it.

The thrum, the beat, the fireworks and stomp of hooves and shimmer of magic, at last reached its crescendo – just as, through the crowd, Trixie spotted several ponies she at once did and did not want to see. She pushed all thoughts and doubts from her mind, and settled into character – trying to imagine what she would have done six months ago, even as the chorus resumed.

“At the Gala! We’re all ready to begin –
“At the Gala, past the gates let us through to endless wonder!
“At the Gala! Open up and let us in –
“At the Gala, lies and danger for anypony's hunger!”

“At the Gala! Buring glances, turning heads –
“At the Gala, stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you!
“At the Gala! Grinnning yellows, Spinning reds –
“At the Gala, take your fill, let the spectacle astound you!”

For everypony else, the song ended, the night resumed as normal. But Greengrass happened to look up just then – and he saw the last pony he expected to see, standing next to the last pony he expected to see her standing with. And she did not look happy.

Trixie advanced one step at a time, leaving Blueblood behind as the crowd seeming to part around her as she bore down on Greengrass. Fisher was still nearby, in fact he was almost between Greengrass and Trixie, and seemed as surprised as the duke himself was. Posey, Mounty, and Puissance all stared themselves, wondering what they were about to witness.

Trixie’s head cocked to the side somewhat. “Why so silent, good monsieurs?” Trixie sang. “Did you think that I had left you for good?

“Did you miss me, good monsiers?
“I’m not afraid of your scare tactics.

“Here I’ve come to spite you all –
“And stand here triumphant!”

Trixie smiled a most unpleasant smile, as she reached Fisher. “Fondest greetings to you all – a few instructions just before the Gala starts.

“Fisher can’t really hold his notes,” Trixie said, poking a hoof against the point of her fellow unicorn’s shoulder. “Hearing you just now was torture to my ears.

“Oh, and Fisher? Lose some weight –
“It’s not healthy in a stallion of your age.”

Fisher bristled, opening his mouth, but Trixie had already left him, trotting over to Posey. “Duchess Posey, you look well. I trust no accusations are forthcoming this time?”

Before Posey could even get as far as Fisher had, Trixie had her eyes on Greengrass. “And as for the star, Duke Greengrass, hello…” Even as she kept her eyes locked on him, she began cantering backwards, back to Blueblood.

“No doubt you’ve done your best – it’s true, I nearly gave in you know
“Should you wish to attempt
“To come at me again,
“You’d do well to see the noble I now stand with…

Trixie seemed to realize what she was saying, as she looked to Blueblood. A scowl overcame her features.

“Now stand with…”

Trixie stomped her hooves, turning and cantering towards the gates of the Castle angrily just as they opened. “Good night to you all – I’m off to get drunk!”

---

Trixie’s angry canter slowed, and then stopped entirely, when she found herself looking in to Canterlot Castle and seeing what lay through its gates, on the Courtyard. She knew that the venue had changed, of course, but she had expected the new Gala to take place under the moon and stars, with perhaps cheap tables lined up containing the catering and a space cleared for the dance floor.

What she had not been expecting to find herself staring at was a wide, tall palace where before there had been only open courtyard, stretching into the sky and glistening in the light. The whole palace glowed with magic that kept it intact despite the warm night – for the palace was made out of ice.

Trixie remembered – a hazily, vaguely, incompletely – what had happened the last time she had been inside an ice palace. After several long moments, she looked up, at a crescent moon that was hanging in the sky.

“No matter how bad things get,” she said to the moon, “I promise, I will try very, very hard to not melt this one.”