• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,748 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,748

PreviousChapters Next
Sticky - TwilightUCrazy

The camera flickered to life, quickly picking up the sounds of its chuckling wielder without much difficulty. The picture quickly rotated, flashing by a tuft of rainbow-colored mane, and acquiring the disastrous remains of the Apple family kitchen in its viewfinder. It took a moment for the camera to refocus, but the damage came through clear and crisp a moment later.

What appeared to be an entire bag of flour covered the room from floor to ceiling. The mixture of eggs and powdery dust had begun congealing on the walls, cabinets and countertops alike, making for a painfully difficult to clean mess. The milk from the fridge was spilled across the floor, and had seeped through the wood and into the crawlspace below.

Once Rainbow had finished her laughing spell, she took a breath and panned the camera around the room.

"Oh, wow..." she muttered. "This is baaaaad news..."

A mixing bowl half full of the powdery white flour was overturned near the sink, and a stick of butter had been overturned, the tray it usually sat on pressing it at an angle into the floor.

"I know a little filly who's gonna have blisters for cutie marks when her mother's done with her..." Rainbow snickered, barely picked up by the speaker mounted near the camera's eye. "Lessee, we got..."

The camera panned again. "We've got over a half gallon of milk on the floor... half a dozen broken eggs..." Rainbow paused in her movements and stepped closer to the refrigerator, examining the floor. "At least eight bruised apples and a whooooole big can of cinnamon... looks like somepony was trying to make herself an apple pie," the pegasus murmured to herself.

More chuckling.

"And then did a lousy job of trying to clean up the evidence." Rainbow reached around the camera, picking up an empty canister of dish soap sitting atop several dirty towels and washcloths, holding the bottle up for the viewfinder.

"'Citrus salad...' So that's what that fruity smell in here is..."

The recorder discarded the empty soap bottle to the floor and looked around, the camera's view pivoting towards the open door leading out into the barnyard. A series of tiny hoofprints led out into the yard and off towards the barn. The little filly who made them seemed unaware of the trail she was leaving.

Giggling, Rainbow trotted slowly out the door and focused the camera on the smudges of flour and the sticky trails in the grass.

The camera rounded into the barn where it spied the scuffling hoofprints in the dirt. Rainbow followed the trail around to a trough filled to the brim with hay and marred with a thick vertical smudge of flour running up the side. A large mound stirred in the hay pile and then grew still again.

The camera zoomed in on the hay and another faint chuckle could be heard being suppressed.

Rainbow's voice, however, came out clear and firm.

"Alright -- hide and seek's over. Come on outta there."

The hay pile didn't respond.

"Sunshine, don't make me come over there and pull you out..."

Still, the hay pile refused to comply.

"Alright, we'll do this the easy way, then. I'm gonna count to three, and you're gonna be outta there by then. Otherwise you're not gonna like what happens next..." Rainbow warned.

Nothing. No movement.

"One..."

The response was immediate, if somewhat slow. A pair of eyes, one green, one magenta, peered nervously out of the hay at their papa figure.

Growing impatient, Rainbow's voice grew more dire. "Two-and-a-half!" she snapped.

Sunshine Delight quickly scurried her way out of the hay pile and plopped down to the ground, though remained near the relative safety of the trough. Her ears sagged, though were largely hidden by the hay sticking to the residue in her mane. Somehow, it served to make the effect all the more pitiful. The feathers on her tiny wings were matted with a sticky, honey-like substance.

"That's more like it..." Rainbow said, zooming in on the filthy little filly. "Watcha been up to?" she asked expectingly.

Sunshine shrank and looked at the ground.

"Sunny, look at me..." her papa demanded firmly behind the camera.

Sunshine looked away.

"Look. At. Me," she repeated.

The little filly knew better than to disobey a second time and looked at the camera. The angry tone in Rainbow's voice belied her amused sniff.

"What did you do?"

Sunshine's ears wilted and she prostrated herself on the floor. "I'm sorry," she said.

"That's not what I asked," her papa said. "I asked you what you did."

The little pegasus gulped. "I... made a mess..."

"You're darn right, you did," Rainbow affirmed. "Didn't your mom tell you to stay out of the kitchen without somepony around to help you?"

Sunshine whimpered and nodded.

"You knew I was changing your little sister upstairs, right?" Rainbow zoomed the camera in on her daughter's normally-buzzy wings, caked to her sides with the partly-solidified batter and sticky substance sticking to them. "What do you think your mom's gonna say when she gets home?"

The floodgates broke. The young filly loosed her ultimate weapon, quivering her lower lip, before bawling her eyes out.

Rainbow could be heard sighing just behind the receiver. "Gets me every time..." she muttered.

The camera spun through a few awkward angles before resting on its side on the dusty floor.

"Alright, alright," papa said as she trotted into view. "No more crying. Come on..." The elder pegasus reached out her wing and scooped up the little filly into her loving embrace. Sunshine's wailing softened as Rainbow lovingly nuzzled her daughter's nose.

It took only a minute or two of rocking and gentle shushing to placate her.

Rainbow smiled, plucking the hay out of the young filly's mane. "Feel better?"

The little filly sniffled and nodded, her lip still quivering.

Her papa smiled and nuzzled her again, giving her a few pats on the flank. "You know what you did wrong, don't you?"

Sunshine swallowed, the effort seeming to prove painful if the tears glistening down her cheeks had anything to say about it.

"You're not gonna do it again, are you?"

She sniffled and shook her head.

Rainbow smiled and squeezed her daughter tightly in her grip. "Good girl," she said softly, reaching back and resting the filly gently on her withers. "Now, let's go get you cleaned up first, and then maybe we can get the kitchen fixed up a little bit before your mom gets back to yell at us." She winked. "Whaddya say?"

Sunshine rubbed her hooves under her eyes and smiled tearfully, nodding at her papa.

The last thing the camera picked up was the pegasus carrying her daughter back towards the barn entrance, before a short twist and a click reduced the image to snow and static.

PreviousChapters Next