• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,746 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,746

PreviousChapters Next
Glue - Idsertian

"Oh, dang it all to Tartarus! Apple Bloom, fetch me the glue from the shed! Yer lunkhead o' a brother's gone and snapped the axle on the cart again."

Applejack scowled at the broken component, wondering how Big Mac had busted their main cart this time. She swore the giant stallion must hit every pothole in Equestria when he made the deliveries. All it took was a bit of care and paying attention to the road...

"Why don't you just put a new one in?" she heard Apple Bloom ask.

"Apple Bloom," she replied. "You know as well as I do that we ain't doin' so hot, money wise, since them bats ate near a third of our crops. I ain't got the time, nor the money to go replacin' an axle. Now, go get that glue like I asked."

Applejack heard the sound of little hooves scampering out the barn, but paid it no mind. She was far too intent on figuring out how to fix the axle. She was going to have to cut off the broken ends of each half, obviously, she'd need metal brackets and screws for extra support, then cut a piece of wood to length, glue that in place...

So engrossed was Applejack in the planning of her repairs, that she failed to hear the soft "whoosh-fwoomp-fwoomp" of a pair of wings bringing their owner to a halt, followed by the sound of four hooves clomping on the dirt floor of the barn. As a result, when the owner of both the wings and the hooves spoke, Applejack's head made sudden and violent contact with the underside of the cart.

"Hey, AJ. What'cha doing down there?"

"OW! What in tarnation?!" Applejack crawled out from under the cart, rubbing her head, her hat askew. "Rainbow Dash! Why are you sneakin' up on me like that? I could'a been hurt!"

The cyan pegasus just grinned and waved off the admonishment. "Relax, Applejack. I've had worse bumps than that just flying down the street, and I'm fine. Besides, you're the one who challenged me to that scaring competition. What's the score now? 5-3 to me?"

The apple farmer just glared at her and reset her hat. "What're you doin' out here, Dash? I'm kinda busy right now."

"Nothing much," answered Rainbow. "Kind of bored. Isn't much to do until the Wonderbolts show later. I mean, I have two tickets, but I don't suppose a certain gorgeous farmer would want to go with her marefriend, what with being so busy and all."

Applejack rolled her eyes. "I hadn't forgotten, but flattery ain't goin' to get you anywhere with me, Mer."

"Huh?" Rainbow suddenly looked perplexed.

"Oh, thought I'd forgotten that too, huh?" Applejack leaned in towards her partner, drawing her mouth level with one of the other's ears and dropping her voice to a barely audible whisper. "Merriweather."

"H-hey! I told you I don't like that name."

"Should'a thought about that before ya gave me it as ammunition to tease ya with," Applejack shot back, sticking her tongue out and grinning. "Amazin' what sorts of thing pour outta you when I stroke those wings just so..."

"S-s-stop. That's not fair." Rainbow's cheeks were as red as the apples on Applejack's haunches.

"And ya'll still can't take the teasin', neither. My oh my, what are we goin' to do with you, Miss Merriweather "Rainbow" Dash?" Applejack grinned again, barely able to keep herself from giggling as Rainbow tried desperately to keep her wings down and her attitude up. "Yeah, I think ya'll "don't like" being called that name, about as much as ya "don't like" somepony messin' with your hooves."

"That's even l-less fair!" Rainbow cried, jumping to her hooves, her expression a mix of irritation and something that was best left unmentioned in polite company. She started to back towards the barn door, affecting an air of affront that was only partly genuine. "I don't have to stick around and listen to this! Let's see you play dirty when I'm not here!"

During this exchange, neither mare had noticed the return of Apple Bloom, who was now struggling to remove the cap from the bottle of glue she had fetched from the tool shed. The mess of glue that was holding the cap on suddenly broke, sending the now open bottle flying from Apple Bloom's hooves towards Rainbow Dash, who was just turning to leave at that precise moment.

"Well, consider that yer punishment for makin' me hit my head on this cart," Applejack teased again, determined to have the final word. She was turning back to the cart when she suddenly heard Rainbow cry out.

"Ow! What the hay?"

Looking back, Applejack could see Rainbow stood with her back to her, apparently rubbing her nose with a wing. Apple Bloom stood just in front of her, a horrified look on the little filly's face and a hoof covering her mouth. Her eyes looked at Applejack, then back to Rainbow, the expression never leaving her face.

"Rainbow?" asked Applejack. She walked over, and upon seeing the situation, burst into laughter.

Rainbow Dash's face was no longer just blue. It was covered with a large white splash, and mostly obscured by her right wing, the tip of which was resolutely stuck to her muzzle.

"Yer, yer," she mumbled through her feathers. "Rerf 't up."

"I take it back," Applejack gasped out between laughs. "This is your punishment for makin' me bang my head! Come on, let's get you to the hospital."

Rainbow just glared at her as best she could over her wing. This was going to be a long afternoon.

PreviousChapters Next