• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,746 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,746

PreviousChapters Next
Spiral - TwilightUCrazy

The past few hours had been a spiraling maelstrom of activity and rushing that had left even Rainbow in a breathless state. The world was spinning around her even before she'd gotten Applejack to the hospital. She'd grabbed everything the doctors had told her she'd need. She'd then sent Big Mac off to tell everypony to get their flanks in gear.

Rainbow walked along the hall of the ward. She skimmed the room numbers as she cantered through the walkways, barely paying attention to where she was going.

28... 30... 32...

There. 34.

Rainbow softly walked up to the door, and nuzzled her nose in through the crack. She peered in first to make sure she wasn't interrupting anything. Rarity was a very close second in line, pressing firmly up against the rainbow-maned pegasi's back to try and get a glimpse of what was happening, while Twilight and Fluttershy tried to rein her back. Pinkie was ā€“ surprisingly ā€“ quiet and calm, though her anxiousness showed on her face. Granny Smith, Big Mac and Applebloom brought up the rear.

Rainbow had to squint in the sudden darkness. The room's shades were drawn most of the way, and none of the lights were on.

She glimpsed towards the bed and the familiar outline of an orange mare laying on her side and away from the door. A white-coated nurse stood nearby, whispering to her.

Rainbow stepped cautiously and quietly as she could into the room, drawing the nurse's attention. She quietly excused herself and moved towards the door.

ā€œFamily?ā€ she asked.

ā€œFriends.ā€

ā€œAnd wife,ā€ Rainbow finished for Rarity.

The nurse nodded. ā€œI'd prefer to keep the non-family member's visit to fifteen minutes at most. She'll need her rest.ā€

Everypony else nodded understandingly and quietly ā€“ albeit insistently ā€“ followed Rainbow Dash further in.

ā€œWell doesn't this just kick a little flank?ā€ Rainbow said softly. She tip-hoofed over around the bed...

...and got her first look at her newborn filly.

Applejack opened her sleepy bloodshot eyes and smiled, resting her head against the pillow. The rest of the girls and gathered around and offered their congratulations and nuzzles to the new mother.

ā€œOoh~ she is sooo cute!ā€ Rarity cooed elatedly, squeezing the nearest pony, who just so happened to be Big Mac at the time.

ā€œEeyup!ā€

ā€œDoes this mean Ah'm an aunt now?ā€

ā€œIt sure does, young'un,ā€ Granny said with a smile and a ruffle of her hair. The Apple matriarch settled into the nearby chair.

Rainbow's chest swelled with immense pride as she looked down on her child in the midst of feeding-time.

She was perfect. Everything about her, from her streaked red, orange and yellow mane and tail, to her orange coat, to her buzzing little wings, was absolutely flawless.

Even Rainbow Dash, in her all-consuming awesomeness, couldn't hold back the tears as they rolled down her cheeks. How many months had it been? How many long and sleepless nights comforting her wife had they had to endure?

Finally, she understood what it had all come together for.

ā€œOh just look at you!ā€ Rarity broke the silence, leaning down to get a closer look at the infant. ā€œYou are absolutely the most beautiful little thing I have ever seen!ā€

Pinkie was still stuck in back, while Fluttershy cooed in adoration, her wings standing at attention. ā€œOh, what's the little darling's name?ā€

Applejack looked up from her position on the bed in surprise, and looked up to the 'father'. Rainbow stared back, her eyes reflecting the same bewilderment.

ā€œOh... shoot. Right. I... uhh... wh-what did we decide on again?ā€

ā€œWell, we said we'd decide a little closer to 'er birthday, but Ah... Ah just don't know Sugarcube...ā€

Rarity and the others looked amongst themselves, then back with a smile to the parents.

ā€œOh, sweetie, it's nothing to worry about. I'm sure something will come to you eventually.ā€

ā€œOh! Oh! How 'bout Pretty Party Pony Princess!ā€

Everypony looked deadpan at Pinkie.

ā€œWhat? I was just making a suggestion!ā€

ā€œPinkie, please. The decision should be left up to Applejack and Rainbow Dash,ā€ Twilight chided gently.

Pinkie continued to rattle off names to everypony's chagrin, while Rainbow walked around the bed and snuggled up behind her wife. Her chin settled on Applejack's side, and she got her first look at her daughter's face.

What's-her-name unlatched from her mother and looked up with those...

ā€œWhoa!ā€ Rainbow said softly, looking up to Applejack. ā€œHey AJ! She has both of our eyes!ā€

Applejack smiled tiredly to her.

ā€œAh saw 'em earlier darlin'.ā€

ā€œHeterochromia,ā€ Twilight corrected her with a smile. ā€œI've read that when ponies of two different species mate, they can result in some... minor abnormalities.ā€

Yeah, yeah, fancy-pants mumbo-jumbo. Whatever, Rainbow dismissed with a grin down to her little filly.

ā€œSo what is your name anyway, squirt?ā€

The filly stared up at her with those cool, awesome, totally radical eyes of hers. She raised her hooves and landed both of them on her 'papa''s muzzle in a rough little kick.

ā€œOw.ā€

The others and Applejack laughed at the filly's antics.

Rainbow cast a sidelong smirk at her wife. ā€œAre you already training her to gang up on me with you or something? Seriously, she's already taking after you.ā€

Applejack smiled slyly and laughed.

There was something though, in what she said, Rainbow realized. The little filly did remind her a lot of Applejack. She saw plenty of herself too, sure, but it wasn't just physical. It was emotional. Spiritual, even.

ā€œSo, what are you girls thinking for names?ā€

ā€œOoo! Ooo! How about...!ā€ Pinkie rambled in the background.

While the others prattled on amongst themselves, Rainbow continued to share her gaze with her daughter. She could feel Applejack's strength and determination in her stare. She could see her wonder. She felt warmth and light. She saw trust. She felt happiness radiate from her.

So much of it was from Applejack. Sure, some of that was hers too, but for once, Rainbow wasn't at all concerned about what part of her came from who. She only cared about the happiness she felt. It was the same feeling of laying out in one of Sweet Apple Acres' fields in the afternoon sun, and snoozing a lazy day away with her best friend, her lover, her wife to keep her company. It was... completion.

And then, Rainbow Dash knew exactly what her daughter's name was.

ā€œ'Plumpkin Pride?' Surely you jest,ā€ scoffed Rarity to Pinkie.

ā€œOoh! Ooh! Okay! I've got it! I've got it! How about-ā€

ā€œSunshine Delight.ā€

The room went quiet all of a sudden. All eyes in the room were locked onto her, including Applejack as she raised her head from her pillow.

Rainbow looked over to her. In that moment, there was only the three of them.

ā€œSunshine...?ā€ Rarity turned her gaze from the parents to Fluttershy.

ā€œ...Delight?ā€ Fluttershy finished, turning to Pinkie.

ā€œNamed after her mother, who helped make a stupid, dumb, lonely, outcast pegasus know what it felt like to really be happy and not-alone again... ā€

Applejack stared at her.

Rainbow stared at Applejack.

Time seemed to stand still, until a smile blossomed on Applejack's face. The orange mare reached up with both forelegs and crushed her wife into a powerful hug.

ā€œIt's perfect.ā€

PreviousChapters Next