• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 5,749 Views, 1,311 Comments

AppleDash Group Collab - DbzOrDie



Mini-fics written by AppleDash members.

  • ...
48
 1,311
 5,749

PreviousChapters Next
Complex - bahatumay

Twilight Sparkle looked up from her book and did a double-take. Rainbow Dash was walking into the library. Not flying in. Not crashing in through a window. Walking. Her head was slightly downcast, and Twilight could instantly tell all was not right.

"Rainbow? Are you ok?" she had to ask.

"Hey, Twilight. I was hoping you'd be here."

Twilight smiled. "I'm always here."

"Yeah, I know. And here's where Applejack usually isn't, so I figured I'd come by and talk."

"Actually..." Twilight paused as Rainbow's words sank in. "Talk about what, Rainbow?"

"Life."

"That's... mildly unhelpful," Twilight said.

Rainbow sighed. "I'm just so... confused. All these feelings..." After a few false starts, she spoke. Her words came out fast and jumbled. "Do you ever feel like everything makes sense, but nothing makes sense at the same time? Like you're so happy you want to fly east forever, but then so wound up you just want to scream, and then so depressed that all you want to do is take a cold shower?"

"That's a bit more helpful," Twilight said, lowering the checklist she had just made, "and extraordinarily complex. When do you get these feelings?"

"You want me to come out and say it? Fine. Fine, I'll say it." She took a deep breath. "I can't say it."

"Do you feel these feelings around another pony?" Twilight asked.

"Maybe."

Twilight smiled. "Rainbow Dash, you fit the description of a pony in love."

"I know."

Twilight blinked. "If you know, why are you here?"

Rainbow answered with a question of her own. "What do you know about love?"

"I've read plenty about it. In fact..."

Rainbow Dash exploded. She rose into the air, forcing Twilight to take a step backwards. "No! No books, Twilight. This is real life, ok? There is no happy ending, there is no easy way out, there is no everypony winds up satisfied. Look at me, ok? Look at me! My dream for forever has been joining the Wonderbolts. What do they do?"

"Show their flying prowess and act as special forces units?" Twilight answered hesitantly.

"They tour. They visit different places. They're diplocrats from Equestria."

Twilight was tempted to correct her, but quickly decided against it.

"They don't go home. Right?"

Twilight nodded.

"Now imagine that a Wonderbolt which may or may not be me has fallen in love with somepony here in Ponyville who will never leave. She can't leave. What happens then?"

"You'll... drift apart?"

"Exactly! So we're happy for a bit, and then -bam-. Things won't work out. And what if I don't tell her? Then I'm stuck with all these... feelings inside, and it's tearing me apart, Twilight. She is everything I want in a special somepony. She works hard. She's beautiful. She doesn't quit."

Twilight blinked. This was indeed very unusual behavior from Rainbow.

"Celestia help me, she's almost as awesome as me."

Ok, that was a little more appropriate.

"Either way, we both lose." Rainbow Dash sank to the floor. "And that's assuming Applejack even likes me back. What do I do, Twilight? What do I do?"

Ooh, accidental name-drop. Twilight thought quickly. "Well, I..."

"If you're going to say 'read something in a book', I swear I'll leave a raincloud over your library for two weeks."

Twilight kept a flat expression. "I was going to say, 'talked with Princess Celestia'..."

"Oh."

"When I first learned of Hearts and Hooves day, I was so confused as to why that was even a holiday. I asked the princess, and she told me about it."

"How does that help me?"

"Let me finish. I also asked her if she had ever fallen in love."

"Oh, 'cause she's, like, immortal and stuff, right?"

"Right. She went quiet for a moment, and then she said yes. I then asked her who her special somepony was. She said they'd all died."

Rainbow crinkled her nose. "That's... depressing."

"I know, and I told her so. I asked why even bother falling in love if it was just going to hurt. She smiled and said, 'Yes, but Twilight, the good times are worth all the pain'."

"So..."

"So tell her, Rainbow. It'll be awkward, but it'll be worth it."

Rainbow shot to her hooves. "That's just what I needed! Now I just need to go and find Applejack, and..." Her voice trailed off as she saw Twilight's nervous expression, and Rainbow's face fell.

"She's here, isn't she?"

"Kitchen." Twilight said. "Making pies for that parade later."

"She couldn't make them at home?"

"They'd be cold when they got here."

"And she heard all of that, didn't she?"

"Yep. Probably."

Pause.

"I should go talk to her."

"We'll stay out of your way." Twilight turned up the stairs and called, "Spike?"

"What?" he yelled back down.

"I'm going to see Rarity, want to come?"

He could not have been at her side quicker had he been teleported.

Twilight gave a reassuring smile as she led Spike out among questions of 'how do my spines look? do I need a breath mint?'. "Remember, Rainbow. It'll be awkward, but worth it."

Rainbow repeated that mantra as she entered the kitchen.

Sure enough, it described that conversation.

Sure enough, it described that first kiss.

Sure enough, it described those first few days of their relationship, trying to adjust to each other.

Sure enough, it described their first night together.

Sure enough, it described their situation when Apple Bloom walked in on them in the barn.

Sure enough, it described their life when Rainbow got that acceptance letter.

Sure enough, it described it when Rainbow had to miss their fifth anniversary for Wonderbolt detail.

But those are all stories for another time.

This story ends with that awkward first kiss in the middle of somepony else's kitchen inside a building neither often set hoof in.

Rainbow Dash pulled back and smiled as she wiped some flour off of Applejack's cheek. Awkward, but worth it.

Author's Note:

I always find these 'they will part eventually' stories so sad :(

PreviousChapters Next