• Published 17th Jan 2012
  • 45,970 Views, 976 Comments

It Takes a Village - determamfidd



Spike only wants things to stay the same. Time, however, has other ideas. He's going to need help...

  • ...
66
 976
 45,970

Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Twilight had launched directly from breakfast into her studies, and Spike knew from experience that there was no way he was able to pry her out of a book with anything less than a national catastrophe. Bored, he lay down in the sunlight and fiddled with one of his oversized quills, watching Ponyville wake up and scurry off to work. He was practising picking up apples again when the Mayor found him.

"Spike," she said pleasantly. "I haven't seen you for a donkey's age! I trust you've been well?"

"Hi, Mayor Mare." He put down his apple carefully. "Well, I'm getting there."

She nodded. "I see, I see."

He squinted down at her. "Want an apple?"

She smiled. "Very kind of you, but I've just had a truly delightful dandelion salad. Perhaps some other time."

"Sure," he replied, puzzled. "Er, Mayor, did you want something?"

"Well," she said, "I received a complaint yesterday afternoon from a rather distressed group of ponies who said you had, and I use their term, 'terrorised' the morning Market."

"Oh, ponyfeathers," Spike grumbled.

"I didn't believe a word of all that braying, dear," the Mayor assured him, "but I do want to get to the root of the issue."

Spike folded his feet under his chest and fumed – both literally and metaphorically. "Great, just great."

"So what actually happened?"

"I was sleeping in the square," he replied crossly, "and Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo woke me up. All the visitors seemed to be pretty scared, but nopony was attacking me or anything. Those two began talking to me and warming up a bit in the smoke, and this one unicorn went crazy. Didn't listen to a word any of us said, just kept going on and on about me being a monster and dangerous, telling me to go back to where I came from and all."

The Mayor hummed in thought. "So you definitely never instigated this... er, conflict."

"No!"

"Oh, I never doubted it," she said, giving him a reassuring pat on the forepaw. "However, I worry that this may not be the last time you have to deal with such arrogant prejudice. The complainant and her... associates were rather vocal when they stormed into the Town Hall, and they were threatening rally action. It's a fairly common attitude after all; no doubt they'll find support for their beliefs somewhere or other. I do hope they don't stir up trouble for you."

Spike felt a bit sick. "I... maybe I should have just cleared off after all..."

"No, no!" She waved a hoof. "You were doing nothing wrong, Spike, and they are the ones who blew it out of all proportion."

"What if they come back?" Spike asked.

"You are a citizen of Ponyville and Equestria," the Mayor said firmly, "and you have as much right to use its public spaces as any other pony... uh, dragon. If they come back we shall deal with it. Until then, we should put it out of our minds."

"I suppose," he said, wrinkling his snout.

She patted his folded leg briskly. "Chin up, dear," she said with a kind smile. "Now, as I said, I haven't seen you for simply ages. I know it's unpopular to have a natter with a politician, but do go ahead and fill me in on what you've been doing. I like to know these things, you know."

Spike shrugged internally and began to tell her about his lessons the day before, and about several of his plans to help the town. He found it easy to talk to her, although the image of a clown wig kept trying to intrude and break his flow. She was an attentive listener, and nodded her elegant white-maned head appreciatively at several of the ideas. She was especially enthusiastic about the air-rides.

"Just think!" she said eagerly. "Flying, an earth pony like me! Oh, I'll be queuing for the very first tickets, never you fear!"

Spike smiled. "I'm really grateful you're letting me build my house here," he said.

"Letting schmetting, dear. You're the personal assistant of the most powerful unicorn in Equestria, and close friend to the Elements of Harmony - why, you're practically one yourself," she said. "Who knows, perhaps you'll be famous! Ponyville's Famous Dragon, do you like the sound of that?"

He cringed. "I don't know..."

"And just think what it could do for tourism!" she said in a satisfied way.

"Well, let's hope it's the kind of tourism we want," he said gloomily, remembering their earlier topic.

The Mayor bade him a cheery farewell, and he was suddenly possessed by a need to do something, anything. He carefully picked up and ate the last of his apples, and then piled the empty barrels and crates into the wagon. Eyeing it thoughtfully, he eventually shrugged and picked up the whole thing under one foreleg. Walking with three legs was lopsided and awkward, but there was no way he was ever going to fit into that titchy little harness. Hoisting it cautiously, he began the walk to Sweet Apple Acres.

Macintosh seemed grateful that Spike had returned his wagon, crates and barrels and so spared him a trip into town - but with the laconic red farmpony you never really could tell. He told Spike that he'd deliver another wagon-load that evening and that he'd be able to take another lesson on Thursday morning. He seemed busy, so Spike waved and began the walk back into town. It was much easier on four legs.

He was cresting the rise of a little hill overlooking the farm when a breathless Cheerilee barrelled into him.

"Spike!" she gasped. "Oh thank goodness I caught up with you!"

"Er... hi, Cheerilee," he said, slowly extending his forepaw to support the heaving pony. "You were looking for me?"

She leaned heavily on his scaled forearm and swallowed, trying to get her breathing under control. "Yes... I tried the square first, seeing as you've been there nearly a week, and when I didn't find you there I asked Twilight and she said you'd left, so I cantered through town and finally..." She coughed a little. "Phew, sorry."

"That's okay," he said. "So what's the big hurry?"

"I wanted to catch you before school started," the teacher explained. "You see, I've had some complaints recently..."

"Oh no," Spike groaned.

"... from a few parents of my younger students. They haven't really seen you since they were barely weaned, and seeing you... well, as you are now has unfortunately given them nightmares, poor little mites. No matter how many times I or their parents tell them that you're a friendly dragon, they're scared stiff of you."

Spike's heart sank. "Hooray, I'm the stuff of nightmares," he muttered.

"Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be willing to come by the school? Perhaps tomorrow?"

He blinked. "What?"

"Well, I spoke to the parents, and they agreed it would probably be best if their colts and fillies met you properly in a safe environment. That way, they'll discover they have nothing to be afraid of. Perhaps you could tell a few stories to the little ones about growing up as a dragon in Ponyville?" Her green eyes blinked up at him hopefully.

He was rather taken aback. "Um, sure, if you like? What time?"

"Well, after lunch would be best," she said, beaming. "Oh, thank you, this will surely put their minds to rest! Silly little cherubs, you wouldn't believe the stories that were being bandied about the playground."

"I think I can live quite happily without ever hearing them," he agreed sourly.

"I must dash," she said, "I haven't much time before the first of them arrive at the schoolhouse. Oh, thank you, thank you again, Spike!"

She was gone in a swirl of dark purple.

"What was that?" he wondered to himself.

~**~

Spike heaved on the ropes as hard as he could, his shoulders straining and his wings half-extended with effort.

"That's it!" Pinkie clapped her hooves together. "You're doing it!"

He collapsed against the ropes, panting. "I'm doing squat! It won't budge, Pinkie. It's solid as a... well, as a rock!"

Rainbow Dash wrinkled her nose. "Yeah, funny that."

As the rest of Ponyville went through a normal Monday afternoon, the three of them had made their way to the peak of Horsefall Mountain overlooking the Everfree Forest. The mighty stone that rested against the peak had shifted during an earthquake many years ago, blocking off the little brook that had once trickled merrily through the Forest and into the lake by the village. Granny Smith had told the story so many times it had become legend. So too had her mumbling complaints about losing access to the convenient source of fresh water.

Spike had promised to move the rock, but he had seriously underestimated its size. Seeing it close-to was worlds away from seeing it at a distance. It was broader than it was high, and thus rolling it was a virtual impossibility. So he was attempting to drag it away from the spring's source – and he wasn't nearly strong enough yet.

"Never thought I'd want to be bigger than I am now," he puffed, his face shiny. "This thing is seriously ticking me off!"

"Easy, tiger." Dash grinned from her perch on a little cloud. "Give it another go."

"Don't give up, Spikey-wikey!" Pinkie echoed, bouncing gently on the spot. "You got to push on through it if you want to do it!"

"Easy for you two to say," he grumbled, but braced himself against the ropes once more. The muscles in his neck tensed as he hurled his whole weight and strength against the rock's indifference. His claws dug furrows beneath him as he scrabbled for more purchase against the scrubby ground.

Eventually he had to concede defeat again, and his head flopped forwards as his shoulders wilted. "Unnngh," he groaned painfully. "Ow. Really, really, ow."

"You totally gave it your best shot, Spike," Dash said, "and hey, it's not everypony that can be as awesome as me on the very first try. Maybe next year, huh?"

"I think it almost moved a teeny-tiny eensy-weensy bit just then!" said Pinkie loyally.

"Well, I think that in any future epic fight between dragon and rock, I know who my bit's on," Dash drawled.

Spike huffed, and Pinkie pursed her lips disapprovingly.

"Dashie!" she scolded, and Rainbow Dash shrugged.

"The rock won. Tell it like it is."

"Stupid... rock," Spike managed, staggering out of the ropes. "... show it..."

"Yeah, you show that rock! Show it who's the biggest, baddest boss!" Pinkie cheered, her hooves boxing at thin air. "You kick it to the curb, you take it to the cleaners, if it wants trouble it's got double, 'cos lean, mean, purple-and-green is here to kick tail and take names, but he ain't taking no names, no sir-ee!"

He stomped around the stupid thing until he was on the mountain above it, leaned his shoulder against the pitted side and pushed with all his might and main. His hind feet immediately began to scour deep gashes in the ground behind him, and he gritted his fangs. The great flight muscles in his shoulders and back were locked and burning, and his haunches felt like they were on fire.

"What the hay?" he dimly heard Rainbow Dash say.

"It's moving!" squealed Pinkie. "Gimme an S! Gimme a P! Gimme an I!"

Spike's eyes were beginning to water, the boiling tears splashing at his feet. The sound of rock scraping against rock screeched harshly in his ears. He began to snarl through his teeth as his forelegs shook with effort. With that awful grating rattling his head, he slowly slid the huge stone down the mountain for perhaps ten ponystrides before finally crumpling into a heap.

"Wow. I mean wow." Rainbow Dash flitted down to him, her face gobsmacked. "Okay, I'm on Team Dragon now, all right? Remind me not to annoy you in future... hey, are you okay?"

Spike just gasped and trembled, his throat working furiously.

"Oh, no, he's hurt himself," Pinkie's pupils were blown wide with worry. "Spike?"

"... water..." he rasped.

"Water, right, can do..." Rainbow Dash zipped away quicker than thought and returned even faster with a puffy black cloud. "Say 'ahhh'," she instructed, preparing to jump on the cloud.

"..No, no... the..." Spike swallowed, "the stream... is it...?"

"Oh!" Pinkie blinked, before she scurried back to the rock's original position to peer at the black mud that had rested underneath it. "Nopey dopey!" she reported cheerfully.

Spike groaned.

"Hang on," Pinkie continued more slowly, "is that... whoa!"

Her whole back shuddered, and then her eyes fluttered in conjunction with her nose twitching and a single ear flopping forwards. "Combo!" she gasped.

Spike pushed himself painfully onto his elbows. "What... does that mean?"

She turned to them, her blue eyes earnest. "Don't know, that one's new!"

A great subterranean rumble began under his claws, and the craggy mountain peak began to quake.

"But I think it means that we're gonna get wet," she added brightly.

Abruptly a veritable geyser of muddy water blew into the sky behind her, and Spike only had a second in which to say, "oh, that's just great," before he had a faceful of it. Spitting and spluttering, he stood with some to see Pinkie being carried down towards him by the blocked stream's initial torrent.

"Pinkie!" he yelled.

"Wheee!" she crowed.

"Oh, brother," Dash sighed.

He stood and waded towards her, the mud sucking at his claws. She was spinning like a cork in the current, and he was only able to halt her progress by extending one wing and catching her within it like a net. Unfortunately that also meant that he was catching an awful amount of very fast-moving water, and he sucked air through his teeth as his wing was wrenched back, though he didn't dare move for fear of losing Pinkie.

Rainbow Dash swooped in at that point, grabbed Pinkie's hooves and hoisted her into the air. "I got her, Spike!" she hollered. "You can get out now!"

Folding his wing back in was pure agony. He ducked his head against the rushing water and squelched his way to the bank of the stream. The water was quickly scouring the layers of dirt away to reveal the old stream-bed, but he was still very muddy when he made it to dry land. He sprawled onto the ground, his wings and legs trailing behind him.

Pinkie was sitting on the grass like a sack of potatoes, her dripping mane in her eyes but a cheery grin on her face. Dash was hovering at the water's edge watching him anxiously. "Ya know, you really ought to read the fine print before you volunteer to do anything like this again," she said.

"I know," he croaked.

"Well, you unblocked the stream," Pinkie pointed out in the tone of somepony trying to find a silver lining.

Spike raised his eyes to meet Rainbow Dash's, and they both began chuckling. "Really? I hadn't noticed," Spike laughed.

"Yeah, when was that?" Dash snickered.

Pinkie flopped over onto her back. "Would I call it a 'Rock-Moving' Party?" she mused, "or possibly 'Stream-Unblocking' Party? No, not that name, sounds too... too medical. Oooh, maybe a 'Spike, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie Narrowly Escape Drowning' party! That'd be..."

"You again!"

The booming roar came from the edges of the Everfree Forest far below them. It prodded a memory from long ago, and Spike's fatigue disappeared in a cold rush of fear. He leapt to his feet and turned to face the Forest edge, his wings extending to shield the two ponies.

From between the trees emerged the huge snout and snakelike neck of the green dragon he had met when he was a baby. It was just as ferocious-looking as he remembered, its eyes roiling with anger and disdain – and it was easily five times the size of him. The wicked-looking spines along its back caught the branches of the trees and its gargantuan teeth gleamed unpleasantly.

"Spike, you know this guy?" Dash whispered hoarsely.

"We met once, a long time ago," he muttered.

Pinkie beamed. "Well? Where are your manners? Make some introductions!"

"I should have known it was you, hatchling," the dragon growled deafeningly. "Who else would dare flood my home?"

"What? He didn't flood it, the stream just got unblocked, it'll die down eventually, and anyway what do you mean hatchling? Spike's not a baby anymore!" Pinkie said very quickly and very indignantly.

"Pinkie, please shut up," Dash said urgently. The dragon's orange eyes flashed, and it began to stalk menacingly out of the trees. The extra-sharp claws and extra-spiky tail were exactly as Spike remembered - unfortunately.

"I found this one in my home, eating my gems, when he was barely out of the egg," he said with thunderous scorn. "Now I find he has graduated to flooding my cave."

"Look, I'm sorry," Spike said quickly, "I didn't know this stream would wash out your cave."

The dragon hissed in anger and towering contempt. "Tell me, hatchling, have you made any improvement on that miserable flame?"

"Some," said Spike warily.

The great green dragon chuckled darkly. "It would have been difficult to do otherwise, pathetic as it was. And I see you have your wings and teeth." The huge claws effortlessly raked a gigantic trench in the rocky mountainside. "Can you use them?"

Spike remained silent. The dragon's laughter grew gleeful. "Ah, no. A flightless dragon, a grounded lizard. You have wings and teeth and claws, child, but you might as well be exactly as you were when you ate my gems."

"What's it to you?" Dash said pugnaciously, and Spike gave her a warning look.

"That infant trying to shield you has insulted me for the last time, mammal," the green dragon snarled. "He infringes on my territory and blithely takes what is mine for his own. Finally he has drowned my lair and washed away my hoard. It must be answered. Any true dragon would not allow such an affront to live." He took another precise step, the distorted wavering of superheated gases playing in his mouth.

"Dash, take Pinkie and run," Spike said. "You have to run!"

"Hey, I don't leave my friends in the lurch," she hissed back.

"He'll kill you, you have to get out of here!" Spike pleaded with her.

"And how about you?" she threw back. "He invitin' you to a tea party and a nice little sing-song?"

"He doesn't look like the sing-song type," said Pinkie weakly.

Step by ominous step, the great beast prowled closer. The ponies' eyes were pinpricks of fear. Spike's panic was close to overwhelming as he barked, "go!" at them.

Rainbow Dash scooped Pinkie Pie up and hovered for a moment, Pinkie's legs dangling comically. "I'm comin' back," she said grimly. "Don't do anything dumb."

"Dumber than sticking around for a dragon-fight?" Spike cried in frustration. "Get out of here!"

She gave him a last look of desperation, and then they were gone.

"How touching. You are fond of the little beasts," crooned the green dragon mockingly.

"I was raised by ponies," Spike said, turning back to face it. "Of course I'm fond of them."

The great creature spat in ridicule. "You are no dragon, hatchling. You are nothing but a mammal in a scaled skin."

"Least I don't live all alone," he retorted, backing up slightly. "Least I actually have friends to talk to."

"Friends!" the dragon laughed derisively, a great plume of fire rising from his jaws. "A true dragon has no friends. You speak weak mammal words with your forked tongue."

"Do all 'true dragons' talk as stupidly as you do?" Spike asked insolently, though his voice was trembling. He continued to back up the mountain, his heart beating so hard it felt like it would tear through his chest.

The dragon snorted fire from his nostrils like an enraged bull. "You know nothing," he growled. "You little fool."

"I know one thing," Spike said defiantly, "I know that dragons are supposed to be proud. Where's the pride in killing me? Like you said, I'm just a kid. Wow, killing a kid, huge achievement there. Really something to be proud of, I'll bet."

The dragon stopped for a moment, before it squatted back on its haunches. "There is something to what you say," it said.

"Oh, thank Celestia you think so!" Spike exhaled hugely, smoke puffing everywhere, careless in his relief. "Wow, that was a good one! You really had me going there, I totally thought you were gonna kill me..."

"I hadn't finished," the dragon interrupted with a slow, sly grin. "I am going to kill you, have no doubt about that. However, I will give you a small chance. A token. Some time, perhaps, to prepare your puny little fire against mine..."

"Time...?" Spike squeaked.

The dragon began to prowl back into the forest. "One month at the full moon, hatchling, upon this peak. I will fight you, and you will die. If you flee like a witless worm or cower amongst those ridiculous mammals you so care for, why then... I will descend upon their cosy little village and reduce it to cinders and ash."

Dread gripped Spike with cold, icy claws.

"One month," the dragon repeated, and disappeared into the trees.

Spike stared and stared at the place where the dragon had vanished. He was still staring when Rainbow Dash returned.

~**~

"Well, we've got trouble," Twilight announced as she closed the book.

"No, really?" said a mud-encrusted Spike hysterically. "That's amazing, I hadn't figured that one out for myself at all!"

"Stop pacin', sugarcube, y're makin' me dizzy," Applejack said irritably. They were all gathered by the lake where Spike had once had a very rude awakening after his very first Winter Wrap-Up. A muddy little stream now fed into its forested edge.

"So this is the same one you stumbled over during that whole Owloysius tantrum? Aw-kwaaaard," said Pinkie, wringing out her still-sopping mane.

Spike simply let out a long and heartfelt groan as he sank to the ground, covering his head with his wings.

"I'd forgotten about the dragon in the Forest," Twilight admitted.

"Why does he suddenly have such an issue with Spike?" Fluttershy asked.

"Because he's becoming a threat," Twilight said reluctantly. "Dragons are incredibly territorial, after all, and now that Spike's no longer a baby the dragon can't really ignore him anymore. He's a constant challenge to his dominance. Add to that the fact that Spike's, er, prior contact with this dragon has always been... um... er..." She turned her eyes skywards, searching for the right word.

"Disastrous?" Rarity suggested.

"Un-awesome?" Dash put in.

"As if he'd deliberately purposefully on-purpose gone out of his way to purposefully get in the dragon's face and purposefully mess up his territory issues?" Pinkie said brightly.

"Yes!" cried Spike, sitting bolt upright. "All those, yes!"

"Spike, calm down!" Twilight said, her voice thick with exasperation. "That's not helping!"

"Oh, I didn't realise, I'm sorry," Spike said frantically, rude in his shock and fright, "I didn't realise I needed to be helpful about my own impending messy death!"

"Spike!"

Twilight was frowning at him, and despite the fact that he was over three times her height and easily twenty times her weight, he cringed. Hers had always been the voice of authority to him.

"Please, Twilight? Can't you find some magic or something?" he pleaded in desperation. "Maybe make me his size? Make him my size? Make him Winona's size? There's got to be something!"

"Spike, you know this," she sighed.

"Knows what?" Applejack asked.

"That dragons are naturally magic-resistant," Spike said, gritting his fangs in frustration.

"That's why the entrance exam to the School for Gifted Unicorns was to hatch a dragon's egg," Twilight said as she floated yet more books from her saddlebag. "My exam was considered so extraordinary because I even affected Spike himself. And that's also why I always practised magic on him. His natural resistance makes it harder."

"Magic-resistant, not magic-proof," he said hopefully, but those hopes were dashed when she shook her head.

"It grows stronger as you age, Spike," she explained. "I'd barely be able to affect that dragon at all, and I bet the moustache you'd get nowadays wouldn't be half what it used to be."

Spike postponed feeling nostalgic about that until he'd finished panicking his heart out. "Okay, no magic, no magic, oh horseapples, no magic... so what else can I do?"

"Language," Twilight said sternly as she selected another book, a red dragon embossed on its cover.

"I know, I can die horribly and get buried in six or seven different graves!" Spike began to shake again.

"Oh no, that won't happen at all, Spike," Fluttershy said, "you'll see. We'll think of something."

"I should have left, I should have left, I really should have left!" he moaned. "I've put you all in danger."

"Now stop that at once, Spike," said Rarity, her eyes reproachful. "We'll have none of that business again - moping about thinking you have to leave, good gracious. That topic is closed, and that's final. Now pull yourself together and let's think about this."

"Aha!" Twilight said suddenly.

"What have you found?" Spike whirled on her.

"It's a treatise on the exact sort of challenge the Forest Dragon has issued," she said. "Apparently it's... oh."

"It's what?" Pinkie pressed.

"According to ancient dragon lore, it's completely and totally legal for him to rip Spike into itty bitty pieces and then stomp on the bits," sighed Twilight, closing the book. "This is bad."

Spike whimpered.

"Tell you what," Rainbow Dash said suddenly, her voice hard with determination, "if nothing else, I'm gonna make sure that big bully can't talk to you like that about flying ever again. I'll give you a lesson every day if that's what it takes. You are gonna fly rings around that show-off."

"I've only got a month to learn," Spike said, "right before he swats me like a bug!"

"No way, not with my teaching!" she argued, her chin set proudly.

"Rainbow! I haven't even had a single lesson yet!"

"Hey, it's me we're talking about here!" she declared.

"I'm toast!" Spike wailed.

"Calm. Down." Twilight grated. "That isn't helping the situation at all."

"Stuff the situation, help me!" he exclaimed wildly.

"Spike, you will settle down right this instant!"

Spike sat obediently.

"Thank you, Fluttershy," Twilight said with a grateful sigh, before turning back to the dragon. "We are helping you, if you hadn't noticed. And I think Rainbow Dash really came up with something there. You're already having lessons to get used to your new size – well, we'll just step them up."

"Fat lot of good that'll be, Twilight, he's so much..."

"Bigger than you?" she finished pointedly. He stared at her for a moment, before his head dropped to his chest.

Twilight tilted her head, her eyes hard with worry as she gazed at him. "Spike. You should know better than anypony that size doesn't mean all that much. So he's bigger than you. Big deal! That just means you have to use your brain."

"The bigger they are, the harder they lose," Rainbow Dash said with a sly grin.

"Anyway, for all his size and strength and experience and really hot fire, you have something he doesn't," Twilight continued.

"A use-by date?"

"Friends," she stressed.

He looked away. "I know," he said, "I even said as much to him, but... I'm just so scared, Twilight."

"We know, sugarcube," Applejack said. "But don't you worry. We're gonna have you aimin' like a sharpshooter before y' can say Lariats of Fire."

"You'll be the fastest dragon who ever lived," enthused Rainbow Dash. "Not as fast as me, of course..."

"Pinkie and I'll help with a plan," Twilight said at a nod from the party pony. "We'll think of strategies. Rarity, would you help with that?"

"Of course, anything for our little Spikey-wikey," she said immediately, "and perhaps I can whip something up in the Boutique... but..."

"What?"

Rarity's brow creased. "Well, darlings, I can't help but notice..."

"Yes?"

"Don't you think we ought to talk to the dragon about this? It does seem somewhat of an overreaction, after all, even taking into account his territory... fixations. Perhaps we could settle this through more... diplomatic methods, yes? Spike and I could replace his hoard, for instance?" Her long-lashed eyes blinked expectantly. "It's certainly worth a try, don't you think?"

Spike slumped. "If I get within sniffing distance of that guy, I'm a crispy critter."

"But we really should try," she insisted. "After all, those ponies yesterday leapt to a conclusion simply because you were a dragon, Spike. It would be the very height of hypocrisy to do the same, n'est-ce pas?"

Spike rallied his flagging spirits. "Yeah. Yeah, you're right, Rarity. I should try, at least."

Twilight's horn flared and her books began to float back into her saddlebags. "Well, let's hold off on that until tomorrow," she said with a practical sniff. "We've got to step up your lessons, Spike – and I suppose somepony needs to tell the Mayor..."

Spike regretfully remembered the older pony's trust from their morning conversation. Well, this was going to shatter it thoroughly. "I should really be the one to tell her," he said, his heart sitting heavily in his chest. "It's me that's putting the town in danger."

"We'll all tell her," Twilight replied firmly.

"But first," Rarity said, "you," she pointed at Spike with one dainty little hoof, "in there, now." The hoof jabbed at the lake. Her voice softened as she said, "you'll feel better when you're clean."

Then she eyed his mud-splattered chest with distaste. "I'll feel better when you're clean." She shuddered.

He looked down at himself, nodded once, and silently began to trudge into the lake.

~**~

The Mayor had drawn herself up, her face paling, as Spike haltingly explained what had happened on the mountain that afternoon. He fell over himself trying to reassure her that he would not run out on the challenge and thus leave Ponyville to the Forest Dragon's fire. She said very little, only that her thoughts and support were with him. He trudged wordlessly back to the square lost in a fog of hopelessness.

It was all so different to his foolish little daydreams when he was small. He'd imagined being dashing and impressive, with flames that did his every bidding, the flight of a swallow and enough poise to flick away foes without blinking.

The reality of growing up was ponderous, clumsy, and cumbersome. He had so much to learn – and re-learn – and he had only a month before he was beyond all learning forever. Spike had always been brave in the face of danger, but he'd never had to face this awful waiting. Deadline, what an appropriate word.

Almost as bad was the fact that apparently, his growing up had political ramifications in both the draconic and Equestrian aspects of his life. Though the great green dragon's challenge certainly scared him spitless, he was less injured by it than by the threat of the market-ponies from Sunday morning. After all, he'd had barely anything to do with dragons, but he'd been around ponies his whole life. Their rejection stung on a personal level.

Twilight stayed with him throughout the night, curled up against his side, his wing sheltering her from the chill night air. He appreciated it, even as guilt for all the worry he was causing her consumed him along with his fear.

When the morning came she stretched and shook herself before peering out from under his wing. "Your snoring is really loud now," she said in a sleep-blurred voice.

"Sorry," he mumbled.

She gave him a penetrating look. "How long have you been awake?"

"A while," he replied. She sighed and brushed back her tangled mane.

"Oh, Spike," she said sadly.

He sat silently as she pulled herself to her feet and trotted over to his head. She brushed her cheek against his and held it there. "What do I keep telling you?" she murmured. "It's going to be okay."

He said nothing, but kept his face pressed against the warmth of her hair.

She sighed again and her hoof pressed tenderly over the finned scales at his jawline. "So, I was thinking..."

He remained still.

She pulled back to look at him. "Maybe we can start getting your house together? That'd be a good way to get your mind off nothing but lessons and challenges, and it'd get you stronger as well. What do you think?"

He buried his face against her again, and shut his eyes tightly. "Okay."

"Okay then," she said. "I'll work out some plans while you go flying with Rainbow Dash this morning, and you can look at them when you get back. Keep your chin up, Spike. I know this must be a lot to deal with, but I'm here. I'm always here."

"I know," he said.

She folded her hind legs so that she could sit leaning against his jaw. "So, I guess you want a Jacuzzi and a state-of-the-art kitchen and a room filled to the roof with gems," she teased gently.

His mouth quirked. "That'd be nice."

"Maybe a room only for diamonds, and one only for rubies, and one only for sapphires," she continued lightly.

"Mmmmm." His stomach began to rumble, despite himself.

"Of course, you'd need a parlour and a ballroom and a gallery and a conservatory," she prodded, and he chuckled reluctantly.

"What is a conservatory anyway?" he murmured. "I guess it's for conserving stuff..."

"It's for plants," she said. "Oh, I almost forgot the gardens! Manicured, of course, with hedges and mazes and shrubs all shaped like you..."

"And you," he interrupted.

"Is this your fantasy house or mine?" She tickled him under his jaw, and he snickered, smoke puffing erratically. "Oh, all right, maybe a couple that are pony-shaped then."

"You," he insisted, still chuckling.

"Fine," she allowed with a roll of her eyes. "A shrub-me."

"And Rarity," he added dreamily, and she snorted with laughter.

"Better not forget the dragon-sized swimming pool..."

"Fountains," he giggled.

"Of course! And a waterslide as well!" she declared with an expansive wave of her hooves. "Oh, and the whole thing needs to be a castle. Banners, pennants, the lot."

"Turrets."

"A bailey!"

"Is it forecourt or fo'castle?"

"Forecourt. Fo'castles are on ships."

"Hey, can I have a moat?"

"You can have two," she said generously, "and drawbridges, and everything. You can climb up the tallest turret and blow fire at all the tourists who come to take photos."

That sobered him quickly. "Twilight, those ponies on Sunday, what if they come back? What if they hear about this challenge?"

She exhaled. "Then we deal with it."

"I'm sorry," he said, his eyes dropping to the cobbles.

She tugged softly on his spines. "Not your fault."

"I'm just so much trouble now," he sighed.

"You always were," she said, and kissed his cheek. "And I wouldn't change you for anything. Come on, you. Breakfast."

He stood slowly and steadily, careful not to jostle or knock her over. The gnawing anxiety did battle with his determination as he followed her back to the library.

~**~

Dear Princess Celestia,

Thank you for the letter. I'm trying to stay brave like you told me, but it's getting harder. I'm afraid and pretty confused, despite my best efforts. Everything I try to do seems to backfire, and I'm only getting through with the help of my friends.

You said to keep in mind that I won't always succeed. That's something that's really frightening me right now. If it were only my success that was at stake, that'd be okay, but somehow it's all become bigger than that. You must know a lot about having to bear responsibility and make hard choices - I'd really like your advice right now (if you have time to give it, of course, Princess).

I'd be very, very honoured if your sister would like to visit me. I'm not sure what I could say to her, but it would be an honour anyway.

Sincerely

Spike