• Published 7th Jan 2012
  • 28,899 Views, 2,736 Comments

Phoenix Wright - Turnabout Storm! - Firesight



A famous racer is found dead in the Everfree, and Rainbow Dash stands accused of his murder. Can an Ace Attorney from another world uncover the truth and prove her innocent, or will Rainbow Dash be banished to the sun for a crime she didn't commit?

  • ...
74
 2,736
 28,899

PreviousChapters Next
Part 64 - Frozen Heart

Ponyville District Court
Courtroom #1
June 16th, 11:38 AM

“Court is once again in session for the trial of Trixie Lulamoon,” Due Process announced himself this time with a rap of his hoof. “Well, Mister Wright? Do you wish to change your plea?” he asked in a tone that strongly suggested to Phoenix that a yes answer was expected.

Phoenix waited a beat before answering. “We do not, Your Honor,” he announced to shocked noises from the crowd. “We pled guilty to a single charge of reckless endangerment. And to that we hold fast.”

“I see.” Due Process looked surprised, then resigned, wondering if Phoenix Wright was stubborn to the point of stupidity. “Then I assume you have another argument to present? If not, I will pass verdict immediately.”

“We do, Your Honor.” Phoenix nodded. “We believe that Your Honor made an incorrect assumption in laying out the rationale for an extended sentence—that my client chose to initiate the duel there. The defense wishes to demonstrate its falsity by calling a final witness—an expert on magic and elemental abilities. One who will establish that my client could not restrain herself at the moment she lost her temper, and her actions were not, in fact, by choice.”

Due Process looked intrigued. “Oh? Quite a bold claim, Mister Wright. What kind of witness have you managed to conjure up in the last fifteen minutes?”

“There was no magic involved, Your Honor, because the witness has been here at this trial the whole time.” Phoenix took a breath, knowing his next words could turn the unicorn Judge against him.

“The defense calls Twilight Sparkle to the stand.”

Delta slammed a forehoof on her bench, making herself heard above the din that had started up at the human lawyer’s words. “Calling your own co-counsel to the witness stand is a pretty desperate ploy, Mister Wright! Given her obvious conflicts of interest, how do we know she won’t give false testimony regarding your client?” she asked forcefully, her angry tone startling both Phoenix and Twilight.

“Of everyone—or everypony—in this courtroom, I don’t think there’s a single individual who has a greater insight into my client’s powers and personality than Twilight Sparkle,” Phoenix countered with a pointed finger, surprised at Delta’s vehemence.

I knew she didn’t want us to do this, but is she now trying to actively prevent it? Or is she just playing the role of prosecutor so the judge doesn’t think she was in on it? “Yes, she wants to help my client. It’s why she wants to help that’s most relevant here!”

“I think of more relevance is why she wants to help you, Mister Wright!” she stated authoritatively, but looked decidedly unhappy as she spoke. “This court must ask: is she just doing this to try to curry favor with the stallion she’s courting?”

Both Twilight and Phoenix flinched back, the former looking decidedly angry; even Due Process looked taken aback.

Low blow, Lady Requiem! Phoenix mentally accused, though he did note she appeared to take no pleasure in it. “My co-counsel has every reason not to help my client—as do I! She engaged in a malicious prosecution of one of Miss Sparkle’s friends and did nothing but insult me the entire trial! So the question this court should ask is: why, in the face of all that, would Twilight Sparkle want to help Trixie Lulamoon, especially after she endangered said stallion during the duel?”

Due Process cut in with his usual interjection. “Calling your own co-counsel is irregular and unorthodox in the extreme, Mister Wright. Under normal circumstances, I would not permit it due to the potential conflict of interest it represents—”

“You allowed it in the trial of Sonata Tarot, Your Honor!” Phoenix quickly reminded him.

Due Process rapped his hoof once, looking annoyed at being interrupted. “If you’ll let me finish, I was getting to that, Mister Wright. I allowed it then because Miss Sparkle bore unique witness on Ms. Sonata by virtue of the memory playback spell she performed during the trial of Rainbow Dash. Though I do not see that case holds here, your point that she had every reason to abandon your client to her fate is well-taken.

“I am curious to know why, in the face of such severe provocations, your co-counsel would be willing to help her. So on that basis, I will allow her to testify!” He rapped his hoof but then his eyes narrowed.

“That said—if I sense any grandstanding or attempt to take blame on Miss Sparkle’s part, I will end this testimony and trial on the spot, and hold you both in contempt for wasting this court’s time. Is that clear?” He pinned them both with his stare.

Phoenix gulped and Twilight’s eyes went wide as Trixie’s head hit her rail again—but that’s exactly what I WANTED to do! the latter mentally protested, and their guilty reactions were not lost on the veteran judge.

“You’ve heard my terms, Mister Wright. Since it seems they struck a nerve, I offer you one final chance for a guilty plea. Will you take it?” Due Process asked.

Phoenix looked at Twilight, who hesitated and then shook her head sharply. He next turned to Trixie, who didn’t look up but gave him a resigned wave of her hoof. “We do not, Your Honor,” he turned the unicorn judge down for the final time.

Due Process seemed to visibly deflate, sighing and rubbing his eyes. “Then on your head be it. Take the stand, Miss Sparkle,” he instructed.

Twilight was aware of all the eyes in the chamber on her as she walked towards the witness stand. The distance was short from the co-counsel position, and yet somehow, it had never seemed so far and loomed so large to her, like a distant, insurmountable mountain.

It’s okay, Twilight. You can do this, she told herself, trying not to get cold hooves—with Due Process preempting her desire to take blame, that left her with only one way she could yet save Trixie. Only one way… she reminded herself again, hoping Trixie might one day forgive her.

To say nothing of her friends and the Princess.

“Please state your name and occupation,” Delta instructed automatically.

“Twilight Sparkle. Town librarian,” Twilight answered quickly.

Lady Requiem stared at her for a moment. “Don’t be so modest, Miss Sparkle. Is it not true you are the personal student of Princess Celestia herself?”

Twilight shifted uncomfortably. “Well, yes,” she admitted, noting the looks of surprise from out-of-town ponies who didn’t know her and hadn’t been paying attention to the tabloids. “But I try not to flaunt that fact.” And after I reveal what I do, there’s a chance I won’t be any longer…

For a moment, Delta looked like she was going to challenge that statement, but decided against it. “When did you first meet Ms. Lulamoon?”

Twilight grimaced, remembering the circumstances. “Somewhat less than a year ago.”

“Was the meeting a happy one?”

“Anything but,” she sighed, going on at Delta’s request to give an abbreviated summary of the showmare’s appearance in Ponyville and the Ursa Minor attack that followed.

“Do you hold the defendant responsible for the Ursa attack?” Lady Requiem followed up.

“No,” Twilight stated firmly. “And neither should anypony else. She lied about beating one, but she certainly didn’t ask anypony to bring one into town for her to fight!” she stated with a pointed look behind her, causing Snips and Snails, who were in the back row of the stands with their parents, to cringe under the withering glares of the gallery. “She lost her wagon stage and her reputation thanks to that incident. She deserved none of it, and in truth, I hold myself partially responsible for what came after,” she felt she had to say.

Due Process’s hoof came down. “Miss Sparkle, you are warned again that I will not accept any attempt on your part to take blame for the defendant’s actions. Your last statement is struck, and any further answers along those lines will result in a contempt citation. Understood?”

Phoenix winced and even Delta frowned as Twilight nodded jerkily. “Yes, Your Honor.”

Delta looked like she was going to say something to the judge for a moment, but turned her attention back to Twilight instead. “Miss Sparkle—would you care to explain why you do not hold Ms. Lulamoon responsible for her actions?” she asked, Phoenix noting her careful phrasing. Almost sounds like she’s trying to give Twilight an indirect means to answer...

“Because in her place, given her circumstances… I don’t think I would have reacted any differently.” She went downcast. “From what I know of her, she’s had a very rough life. More than any pony should ever have to bear.”

Delta stared at her for a moment, like she was considering challenging that statement as well. “We’ll come back to that later. As an elemental pony yourself, please tell us: have you ever lost control of your powers as you claim Trixie did?” she asked, making Phoenix shiver at the thought.

Twilight hesitated. “I have,” she admitted with a nervous glance at Phoenix. “Just recently, too, as Apple Bloom said earlier. It’s happened spontaneously when I’ve lost my temper. I can’t really help it when it does.”

“But have you ever done so in a public place, putting ponies in danger?” Delta interjected. “Have you ever hurt anypony with your displays?”

“No,” Twilight reluctantly admitted.

“So you were able to ‘take it outside’, in His Honor’s own words?” Delta clarified.

“Well, yes...” Twilight looked conflicted.

“Then you can ‘help it’,” Lady Requiem pointed out quickly. “Now let’s ask another question—imagine yourself in Ms. Lulamoon’s place, Miss Sparkle. Imagine you lost the case instead of her, and exploded into a fiery rage in a crowded courtroom at the impending loss of your friend,” she suggested, causing a bead of sweat to travel down Phoenix’s back at the thought. “Would you seriously suggest you should not be punished even if, by some miracle as was the case here, you did not actually hurt anypony?”

“Calls for speculation, Your Honor!” And a change of underwear!

“I find the analogy to be quite appropriate, and would like to hear the witness’s reply. Answer the question, Miss Sparkle,” Due Process instructed, his cry making Phoenix think he was suddenly channeling Fair Verdict.

Twilight’s shoulders slumped in defeat. “Yes. Yes, I would have to be punished, and very severely.”

“Then ‘rough life’ or no, why would you excuse Miss Lulamoon for her supposed lack of control when you would demand punishment of yourself in the same scenario, Miss Sparkle?” she asked pointedly, causing Due Process and most of the stands to nod in agreement.

Twilight already had an answer prepared but, the moment at hoof, she felt the words catch in her throat. Because it’s not the same scenario, and the reason I know that is… She swallowed hard, unable to finish her thought.

“Answer the question, Miss Sparkle,” Due Process directed.

“There is no need, Your Honor. I think the witness’s speechlessness speaks for itself,” Delta stated grimly and with no sense of satisfaction. “The prosecution has no further questions of this witness.”

“Very well. Your cross-examination, Mister Wright?” Due Process invited, giving Delta an odd look.

“Yes, Your Honor,” Phoenix acknowledged but didn’t begin right away, his mind turning. Lady Requiem missed an easy opening there to ask how Twilight knew about Trixie’s ‘rough life’. I know she spotted it and I’m sure Due Process did too. So why didn’t she take it? Unless… His brow furrowed at the only possible answer. Unless she’s deliberately leaving it for me so I can spin things properly? But that would mean Delta’s trying to help me! he realized as he glanced at Delta’s face, which was now unreadable.

“Today, Mister Wright,” Due Process prompted after a few seconds.

“Apologies, Your Honor. I am considering the order of my questions,” he said to buy a little time, gathering himself carefully. If Phoenix had to draw parallels between the Equestrian prosecutors he’d faced to ones from Earth, Trixie and Franziska were an easy comparison, both in attitude and aptitude. Both were grudge-driven, and both were very good at their jobs despite their eccentricities and often-caustic personalities. Vinyl was more like Winston Payne in that both started a trial overly-confident, but soon devolved into desperation as errors and mistakes accumulated on them.

Delta, on the other hand, was very similar to Edgeworth—confident, assured, and possessing a razor-keen intellect that kept him on his toes. And given that, the only reason she would help me would be that she either genuinely doesn’t want Trixie punished like that, or that she’s under royal orders to prevent it?

With that, Phoenix decided what to ask first. “Twil—er, Miss Sparkle,” he caught himself. “Do you believe that the prosecution’s analogy is a fair comparison?”

“No,” Twilight answered instantly.

“And why not?”

“Because in such a situation, I could help it. But Trixie couldn’t,” Twilight explained. “In that example, I would just be having a very selfish and childish temper tantrum. But that’s not what Trixie did.”

“You yourself called her actions a ‘magical temper tantrum’, Miss Sparkle. Are you now rescinding that statement?” Delta asked shortly.

Twilight took a deep breath. “Let me rephrase. A selfish temper tantrum is not the only thing Trixie did. Yes, her temper was in part responsible for what happened, but losing it and her powers bursting out like they did was inevitable.”

“Pardon me, Miss Sparkle, but I’m not certain I understand.” Due Process spoke up himself at that, a frown on his face. “Are you saying that, even had Ms. Lulamoon managed to win her case against Miss Dash, that she would have let her powers run wild anyway?”

“No, Your Honor,” Twilight quickly corrected, turning to face him. “I’m saying that losing her case made it inevitable, given her circumstances. To say that she ‘let her powers run wild’ implies she had full control over them and then deliberately relinquished said control. Which I know not to be the case.”

“How do you mean?” Due Process asked.

Twilight gave him a look of distaste. “Though I’m loathe to even bring her up, Fair Verdict’s opinion of Trixie should be a clue, Your Honor. Trixie bears not one, but two abilities that have notorious stigmas surrounding them. And she knew full well that having these abilities would cause ponies to despise her, so she concealed them for most of her life.”

“And how would concealing and suppressing those abilities affect her, doing so for years on end?” Phoenix broke in.

“It would be like shaking a bottle of soda pop,” Twilight answered, turning back to him. “The pressure would build and build until it finally burst free.”

“And when would it be most likely to burst free?” Phoenix followed up.

“During times of severe stress or emotion.”

“Like prosecuting a high-profile murder case involving a friend of a pony you have a great grudge against?” Phoenix asked as he scratched his chin.

“He’s leading the witness, Your Honor!” Delta Requiem fired in.

“Sustained,” Due Process immediately agreed, rapping his hoof once more.

Phoenix flicked her a glance. Seriously? “I’ll rephrase—did my client do anything that would cause severe stress and emotion?”

Twilight looked at him, then over at Delta. “Yes. She prosecuted a high-profile murder case involving the friend of a pony she bore a great grudge against,” she deadpanned, causing Delta to flush and the audience to erupt in laughter.

Phoenix had to stifle his own grin at the response. Nice one, Twilight!

“Miss Sparkle, why do you say that Miss Lulamoon’s eruption was inevitable? And why isn’t the same true for other elementals?” Delta preempted Phoenix’s next question, quickly recovering her composure.

“Because I’m able to occasionally vent fire and not worry about being ostracized for it. Fire Elementals are seen as servants of Celestia, after all, and most other elemental types are a curiosity at best. But if I was forced to suppress and hide it like Trixie, stifle it time and time again for fear of how other ponies would react?” She shook her head. “I don’t even want to think about the explosion that would eventually result.” She shivered, and so did Phoenix.

“As a fellow elemental, I’m sure Your Honor can appreciate that we need to express our powers. It is a very integral part of our being and to deny it is to deny ourselves. As I told Fair Verdict, it’s no different than denying an earth pony farming or a pegasus the ability to fly.”

“Your point is taken, Miss Sparkle. But the question before this court is: why did she have to express it then?” Due Process himself challenged. “If she needed to express it or to duel you, why couldn’t she have restrained herself long enough to take it outside?”

“She snapped, Your Honor. To say that she could have ‘restrained herself’ or ‘taken it outside’ presumes that she had control of her power at that point. She did not,” Twilight stated with certainty. “Playback of the second day of Rainbow Dash’s trial will clearly show Trixie’s elemental abilities were already leaking out around the edges in the lead up to the duel, and losing her case was simply the straw that broke the horse’s back.”

At Phoenix’s request, several snippets of courtroom video from the crystal recorder from earlier in Rainbow Dash’s trial were played, each showing Trixie progressively losing control of her powers and earning rebukes from The Judge.

At first, it was just cold breath or the water in her glass icing over. Then her eyes began to glow blue and the air around her chilled as cold breezes began to blow inside the chamber, each renewed instance corresponding with a particularly heated confrontation with Sonata or Phoenix. Finally, as Phoenix closed in she began spontaneously generating actual clouds and snow despite her visible efforts to restrain it, culminating in a sudden lightning bolt when she asserted angrily that the stun spell they’d found in Sonata’s spellbook could not kill.

“As Your Honor can plainly see, what my client did was not simply a childish temper tantrum!” Phoenix noted when the playback was complete. “Her long-suppressed powers were finally breaking free, and all they needed was a single spark—a spark that was given when she realized she’d lost her case,” he continued, and was relieved to see the unicorn judge nodding slowly. “So, Your Honor… it is the defense’s contention that my client could not restrain herself at the moment her storm erupted, and the duel was simply an extension of that.”

While Due Process mulled that over, Delta looked to be lost in thought. “You know, my position in the Royal Court allows me a few perks, one of which is access to historical texts not available for the general public to browse. Among those texts are detailed accounts of some of the most noteworthy elementals in recorded history.

“Fire, air, water and earth; each of these have had a fairly equal balance of those who abused their power, and those who used it for the greater good. From my reading, I have also gathered that the same was true for weather elementals before the banishment of Princess Luna.”

I doubt she’d research those casually. Sounds like she’s been studying up on elementals in the leadup to the trial? Phoenix wondered. “But that changed because of Nightmare Moon?” he guessed, remembering what he’d been told by Rarity.

Delta nodded. “Correct, Mister Wright. After that, weather elementals followed a surprisingly similar theme to Miss Lulamoon—they would grow up, either hating or being hated for their power. They’d conceal it, either for their own protection or out of self-loathing. They tended to be loners and avoid other ponies. Then, during moments of great emotional distress, they’d snap, revealing themselves generally to entire groups at a time and being immediately ostracized for it… or in extreme cases, attacked.” She looked somber. “It’s such a pity that the actions of one mare so long ago have cast such a stigma on an otherwise amazing ability.”

Phoenix scratched his chin a little. “Out of curiosity, what records have you read about ice elementals, Lady Requiem?”

Delta grimaced. “That’s one of the rarest talents of all. Given that the events of Hearth Warming took place at the dawn of recorded history, it’s difficult to say how ice elementals were treated before the Windigoes. As for known instances…”

She sighed in resignation before continuing, “They only appear around once in a generation and follow an eerily similar pattern as weather elementals. And for both to manifest in one unicorn…” she shook her head. “As far as I know, there is only one other recorded instance of such a thing happening, not long after Nightmare Moon’s defeat.”

“And what happened to that pony?” Phoenix wondered aloud, his hand on his chin.

Delta’s sapphire eyes went distant. “You don’t want to know. All I will say is that once they were discovered…” She shivered. “It was barbaric. I’d rather not say more.”

Phoenix nodded gravely. “So my client had no choice but to hide and suppress her power her whole life out of self-preservation. She lived a solitary life on the road, going from town to town, supporting herself with magic shows and the kindness of strangers,” he said with a nod up at Zecora. “But what would happen when her only source of pride and means of support was taken away?” he asked rhetorically.

Delta sighed in agreement. “Exactly what did, Mister Wright. As I said, it’s unfortunate that such abilities have such stigmas. Though I know I shouldn’t be, I can’t help but be grateful that my own ability is far enough removed from any negative source as to not warrant such reactions,” she mused, then paused.

“Still, there is one question this court has yet to hear the answer to.” Lady Requiem looked expectantly across the pit at Phoenix, an eyeridge raised. “And without that answer, most of what Miss Sparkle just said about the defendant’s mental state amounts to little more than speculation.”

“Agreed,” Due Process said gravely. “And unless she can supply an answer that satisfies this court, I will have no choice but to strike the bulk of Miss Sparkle’s testimony as unsupported by evidence. Mister Wright?” he prompted.

Getting the hint, Phoenix steeled himself for what he suspected would come. “Twilight?” he asked gently. “Trixie never shared her backstory with us or anypony else. So how do you know so much about her life and state of mind?”

“Because…” Twilight stood rigid for a moment, biting her lip and unable to answer.

“Miss Sparkle?” Due Process prompted, noting instantly her nervous manner. “Answer the question.”

It was another several seconds before she could. “Because…” Twilight’s shoulders slumped and she looked down in shame. “Because… I used a scrying spell on her during the duel to see if I could figure out why she hated me,” she admitted, finally forcing the words out, causing Trixie to gape and Delta and Due Process to give her a stunned look.

She swallowed hard before continuing, plunging ahead, trying to still the shaking of her legs. “For th-those who do not know, a scrying spell is a remote memory or dream viewing that can be used against emotional or distracted minds. In this case, she was both—she was broadcasting her thoughts and emotions very strongly, so… I cast it to see her memories and motivations firsthoof, Your Honor. And that’s how I know what happened in that courtroom was as inevitable as it was unavoidable.”

She turned to look at Trixie, who was staring at her in shock. “I mean, how could she not hate me? I didn’t have to struggle… fight for respect… learn magic on my own… I had patrons and help… didn’t have to hide my power… no, I got everything given to me on a bucking platter,” she recited as if she was reading from a book, each phrase causing Trixie’s jaw to drop further. “In truth, she has every right to hate me. And I fear I’ve just given her one more.”

A glance at Trixie showed the truth of the statement, as the showmare shook in fury. “How… how dare you,” she hissed out, clutching her head between her hooves again.

“Trixie, I—”

“HOW DARE YOU!” the showmare screamed in rage and pain, her eyes glowing blue and area around her starting to ice over as her elemental powers began to reassert themselves despite her magical restraint collar. Phoenix held his breath as it looked for a moment she’d be able to break free of it, the white stallion stepping forward in case he was needed, but the pain of the collar’s feedback was too great and she couldn’t overcome it, finally collapsing to her rail in defeat and beginning to cry. “My mind… my memories… you had no right!” she said between sobs.

“I must agree, Miss Sparkle,” Due Process said in a dark and disapproving tone, his opinion shared by the ponies in the gallery who stared at her and whispered to each other, an undercurrent of indignation in their voices. “There is good reason such spells are frowned upon. What you did was not per se illegal, but was nonetheless very unethical as a severe invasion of privacy. And I am further shocked you would resort to one in the middle of a magical duel!”

“I kn-know this, Your Honor,” Twilight said, tears in her eyes as her voice began to break. “And I’m s-sorry. I had to find out w-why she hated me, and it was the only way I c-could think to.”

“She did it because she wanted to help Trixie, Your Honor,” Phoenix spoke up for her, wanting to go shield her from the angry glares and disapproving looks she was getting. Even the white stallion bailiff was shaking his head at her reproachfully, leaving Twilight unable to meet his eyes. “To do so, she had to know what made her tick. Her heart was in the right place.”

“Remember the road to Tartarus, Mister Wright,” Lady Requiem reminded him, her eyes dark. “Good intentions or no, I, too, cannot approve. And where did you even learn such spells, Miss Sparkle?” she demanded to know. “You can’t find those in a regular public library book, and I find it very hard to believe that Princess Celestia would have taught you such things.”

“In the Starswirl the Bearded wing of the Canterlot Archives,” Twilight admitted, her shoulders slumping further. “I snuck in there more than once as a filly.”

“That wing is restricted, Miss Sparkle!” Delta’s voice had the tone of a teacher reprimanding a student. “And I sincerely doubt the Princess gave you permission to be there. Due to their potential for misuse, scrying spells are only taught to accredited therapists and select members of the Lunar Guard—not to an average laypony! And how did you get past the anti-intrusion enchantments put there by Argus the caretaker?” she further asked, causing Maya to blink hard.

“I u-used a magical cloak,” Twilight explained, feeling her world crashing down around her along with the glares of the gallery and stunned looks of her friends. “I’d r-rather not say who gave it to me.”

Phoenix started to say that Twilight was anything but the average laypony, but thought better of it. “If you have any suggestions for how else she could have both helped my client and protected her friends, I’m willing to hear it, Lady Requiem! She did what she had to do then, and is doing what she has to do now to help Trixie!”

“Is this what you call help, Twilight Sparkle?” Trixie lay slumped over the rail to hide her tears. “You’ve taken everything from me! My stage… my reputation… my revenge… and now, even the sanctity of my mind!”

Tears were streaming freely down Twilight’s face as well. “I’m s-sorry, Trixie. I n-never wanted to hurt you. And a-all I can do for you now… is this,” she managed, trying to gather herself enough to go on.

“You wanted to know why I’m helping her, Your Honor? It’s because in the course of our duel, I saw her past. I saw the things that had shaped her and led her to that moment. I saw how she was bullied… tormented… blackmailed… how she had to hide who and what she was throughout her life! How it stunted her emotional and magical growth and prevented her from realizing her potential! How it cost her her friends, her education, any real career… her chance to go to the Celestia School for Gifted Unicorns… and maybe even the chance to be the Princess’s student herself!” she stated with surety, causing Trixie to give another choked sob.

“And each time she was wronged, she had to flee to save herself. Each time she ran because she had no friends to help her; nopony she could turn to. All she could do was move on. But there, in that courtroom, she finally made her stand.

“In her mind, she was finally fighting back against her tormentors and all those who had wronged her. Finally standing up for herself and punishing those who had hurt her. At the moment her elemental powers erupted, it was not possible or even desirable for her to hold back, Your Honor. Not with a lifetime of repression and pain behind them. I know this because I saw it in her mind and memories for myself!” She sat down heavily behind the witness stand, her legs trembling, suddenly unable to support her weight.

“And in the end, all I could think as we were dueling was—there, but for the grace of Celestia, go I! What would have happened to me without a mentor and friends? Where would I have ended up?” she managed between broken breaths. “When it comes down to it, Trixie was right. I did get everything given to me on a bucking platter. I got the help and support she never had. And if you want to know why I’m helping her now? That’s why,” she sniffled.

“Sh-She doesn’t want my pity, but she has it. She needs it. And I-I’ll do whatever I can to help her from here on out. Even revealing… this.” She forced herself to raise her head and stare at the judge, letting him see her tear-streaked face.

“I don’t want your pity, Twilight Sparkle! I don’t want ANYTHING from you!” Trixie all but wailed, pounding her hooves on the rail repeatedly. “You’ve beaten and destroyed me… made me a mockery… bared my past and soul to everypony… by Luna’s moon, what more can you DO TO ME?” she screamed out, then broke down sobbing again as Twilight could only look away.

“Lula…” a new voice called out, causing Trixie’s head to snap up and attention to turn towards a figure in the gallery, now coming down the stairs. The voice’s owner was a silver earth pony stallion with a short white beard, mustache, and what Phoenix could only describe as a magician’s suit, with a dark blue vest and black two-tail cape, a cutie mark of a wand tapping a top hat backlit by a flourish of magical sparks adorning his flank.

“D-Daddy…?” she barely whispered, her voice suddenly that of a frightened foal.

“I’m here, honey,” he walked down into the pit, the bailiffs making no move to stop him. “I’ve been watching this entire time. It was at the request of Lady Requiem that I didn’t show myself until now. But I can stand by no longer.” he walked into the middle of the courtroom pit, where he stood and faced the judge. “Your Honor, I am Lula’s father—Mystral Noctus,” he announced. “A former stage magician and entertainer in the Court of Canterlot.”

Due Process stared at him, sensing control of his court slipping. “I appreciate your desire to comfort your daughter, Mister Noctus, but this is a trial and court is in session,” he said as gently as he could. “I must ask you to return to your seat.”

Mystral Noctus didn’t move. “And I appreciate your desire to conduct a fair and orderly trial, Your Honor, but that’s my daughter there. She’s in pain, and she needs me.” Without waiting for acknowledgment, he went over to the defendant seat and offered a hoof to her. She reached up a trembling hoof back.

“It’s okay, Lula. I’m here,” he promised, taking her into an embrace. Trixie only briefly resisted before finally collapsing against him, burying her face in his mane and unable to restrain her sobs. The older earth pony held her and rocked her back and forth for the better part of a minute before turning his attention back to the judge.

“Your Honor, I beg of you—if you want to punish anypony for what happened, punish me!” He held his crying daughter close. “When I learned of her elemental abilities when she was ten, I panicked. I didn’t know what to do or how to help her. I was afraid to take her to the princess because of the association of her weather powers with Nightmare Moon… afraid she might be banished as Luna was just for having them! That was a terrible mistake for which she has paid her entire life,” he told the hushed courtroom.

“In the end, I chose to help her hide it, rather than getting her the guidance and training she needed. So instead of learning to embrace and exercise her magic, she learned to suppress and fear it. Instead of forming friendships, she avoided them, believing they were nothing more than a source of pain and misery,” he said as Trixie continued to clutch him and cry. “Miss Sparkle is right. This was inevitable... thanks to my own failures as a father,” he said in a choked voice.

“But it doesn’t have to be this way, honey. It’s all out in the open now. And that means you don’t have to hide it any longer. You can have a life. You can express your power. You can have friends and love. You can even have a stage to perform on and an audience to applaud you. You can have everything you want, Lula! But first, you have to let go of the past. Let go of the hate and hurt. And that I can’t help you do,” he told her just loudly enough for everypony in the deathly silent chamber to hear. “Only you can make that choice.”

“But… she hurt me, Daddy,” Trixie sounded to Phoenix like a bullied foal again. “I just wanted to make it stop…”

“I know, Sweetheart. But it wouldn’t have even if you won. Not in the end. Not like this,” he told her, tears streaming down own cheeks. “So now you understand, Your Honor. What happened in that courtroom wasn’t a temper tantrum. It was Lula lashing out at the only source of her hurt that she could reach. And that source… was Twilight Sparkle!” he pronounced with certainty. “So if you will not accept it from Miss Sparkle or Mister Wright, then please take it from her father, and her own words:

“She just wanted to make her pain stop.”

For the first time in two trials, Due Process appeared to be at a complete loss. He stared at father and daughter, his face a jumble of confused emotions, looking for a moment like he was going to call for order, raising his hoof only to put it back down.

“Enough,” he finally said, his shoulders visibly slumping as he looked down at his bench in defeat. “I have heard enough. Unless either counsel has something more to add, court will recess while I deliberate on this case.”

“The prosecution rests, Your Honor,” Delta said in a very quiet voice, her head bowed.

“The defense rests as well,” Phoenix added, feeling sad and subdued himself.


Ponyville District Court
Courtroom No. 1
June 16th, 2:52 PM

“All rise,” the white stallion bailiff announced again as Due Process finally reconvened court nearly two hours later, looking grave and spent to Phoenix, like he’d been agonizing over a very difficult decision. “Court is again in session for the trial of Trixie Lulamoon.”

“Please be seated,” the unicorn judge ordered as his features went expressionless, his poker face unreadable.

Don’t think I’d want to play cards with him! Phoenix decided as Trixie awaited her judgment, her legs visibly trembling and her father still at her side.

Due Process looked out over the chamber before speaking. “This trial has been a particularly difficult one for me, even aside from the circumstances under which I took it. As a judge, I am required to set aside my personal feelings and enforce the law dispassionately. In practice, this is rarely the case,” he began. “In truth, it is impossible for anypony to ignore their emotions, particularly during such charged topics as these.

“When Ms. Zecora testified—and I wish to say that calling her to the stand was a masterstroke, Mister Wright—I felt what some say is the kiss of death for any judge: a tug on my heartstrings. Her appeal was heartfelt, and I would be lying if I said it did not affect me. For a moment, I was ready to grant her request to set Miss Lulamoon free right then and there.

“And that caught me very short. I worried that if I did—would I then be no better than Fair Verdict? Allowing my emotions and personal biases to influence me? In truth, part of me panicked, and as a result, I overcompensated, looking for ways to not be lenient. In my determination to be impartial and better than Fair Verdict, I now realize I was not. I played the part of not a judge, but an overzealous prosecutor looking for reasons and rationales to convict.

“For this, I offer my apologies to all present—but especially to both counsels, who, I am well aware, worked together to remind me of my role and see justice done.” He looked back and forth between Phoenix and Delta, his head bowed apologetically.

“My mentor, rest her soul, once told me that the best judges wear their emotions on their sleeves. But perhaps it is not until now that I truly understand what she meant,” he looked down for a moment, giving Edgeworth enough time to consider his words and then nod slowly in agreement.

“I am a judge, but in the end, I too am a father and an elemental pony. And were Miss Lulamoon my own daughter, I would not want her condemned for the very powers that define her, regardless of who had used them in the past. She should not be shunned or punished for simply expressing them, particularly after she had to hide them her whole life,” he said with a shake of his head.

“My own were difficult enough to deal with growing up; I cannot imagine what it would have done to me if I had to conceal them as she had. As Miss Sparkle says: there but for the grace of Celestia, the acceptance of my friends and family, and the training of a beloved mentor go I.” His eyes went misty for a moment, gathering himself carefully before continuing.

“If audience ponies had been hurt, things would be different. But as matters stand, Miss Sparkle’s testimony makes clear that Miss Lulamoon was indeed not in control of her powers at the time, and thus, an extended prison term is not warranted,” he conceded, causing Twilight and Phoenix to exhale sharply.

“That said, this court does not absolve Miss Lulamoon of all responsibility for the duel and damages suffered the courtroom. We, as ponies, are ultimately the product of the choices we make, and she chose to pursue her vendetta, ultimately putting many ponies at risk. Nothing changes that simple fact,” he reasoned, speaking more sternly. “This court likewise does not accept the defense’s contention that a large fine would impose undue hardship on Miss Lulamoon. Given her now-revealed abilities, there is much she could do to make a living, and I have no doubt there are ponies out there who would accept and help her.

“We met one today, and I again thank Ms. Zecora for her testimony, which this court did find persuasive—if occasionally difficult to parse,” he noted with a wan smile. “Accordingly, I am ready to render judgment. Trixie Lulamoon, rise to receive verdict!”

She did so, her legs trembling as the rest of the courtroom waited, not a whisper of conversation to be heard.

“Trixie Lulamoon, you are hereby found guilty on twelve counts of reckless endangerment, and are fined an amount equal to two-thirds the total damage to Courtroom #2, with Twilight Sparkle fined the other third for her own reckless conduct and unethical actions during the duel,” he began as Trixie held her breath, waiting as Due Process floated Twilight a citation scroll, who accepted it without protest. “As for prison time, you are given consecutive one-month sentences on each count, for a year total!” he announced with a rap of his hoof, causing Trixie, Phoenix and Twilight to slump.

“However,” He held up a hoof at the upsurge of audience chatter to silence it. “However. In recognition of your extraordinarily difficult circumstances... Miss Sparkle’s revelation... your father’s plea... your efforts at restraint… your repeated attempts to make a new start and the role you played in uncovering the truth behind the death of Ace Swift… I hereby suspend the sentence!

“Barring further infractions during the next year, your prison stay is limited—to time served!” He brought his hoof down with a sharp rap on his bench, to an immediate eruption of shocked conversation, Trixie going visibly weak in the knees.

“I… I th-thank his honor for his consideration,” Trixie finally managed, her voice breaking. “It is m-much more than I deserve.”

Due Process regarded her coolly for a moment. “Don’t thank me, Miss Lulamoon. Thank your lawyer and his co-counsel, who had every reason not to help you but chose to do so. They defended you passionately… and ultimately, successfully. Thank the other ponies who likewise put aside their differences to stand up for you when Fair Verdict was ready to condemn you.

“Thank Ms. Zecora for restraining your worst impulses and looking out for you; for being the friend you didn’t even know you needed. Thank your father for reminding me of what it is to be one, and thank our prosecutor, who was more interested in seeing justice done and the sanctity of the justice system preserved than winning at all costs—unlike you during Rainbow Dash’s trial!” he told Trixie pointedly, causing her to look away.

“This verdict is the sum total of their efforts, and you should be forever grateful for it. You have been granted the greatest of all gifts, Trixie Lulamoon—a second chance. For your own sake, I strongly suggest you not squander it. Court stands adjourned!”


Ponyville District Court
Defendant’s Lobby No. 1
June 16th, 3:00 PM

As the defense team congregated in the lobby, Trixie looked rather uncomfortable, opening and closing her mouth several times as her restraint collar was removed. The bailiffs gave her wary looks as they did so, as if expecting she’d freeze them solid right then and there.

Finally, the showmare sighed in relief as the restraint was unlocked, feeling her magic flow freely again for the first time in many days, a sudden gust of cool wind blowing outward from her as she exhaled.

“Wr… Wright, I think I owe you an apology,” she managed, though she refused to look at Twilight, who was standing huddled in the corner with a hangdog look—much like the one Rainbow wore when she was presented with Fluttershy, Phoenix had already noted.

“You’ve done more for me today than I think I’ll ever be able to repay. Time served… I n-never would have imagined this, in my wildest dreams,” she admitted, bowing her head before him.

“Indeed, Wright,” Edgeworth spoke up as he entered the lobby along with Maya, Pearl, Zecora and the rest of Twilight’s friends, causing Twilight herself to shrink back. “I must say, I’m impressed. You actually prepared for a trial and didn’t fly by the seat of your pants for once,” he noted with the barest hint of amusement.

OoooOOOooOOooo… your pants can fly?” Pinkie poked her hoof at Phoenix’s leg, causing him to flinch slightly.

That’s Edgeworth… even his compliments tend to be a bit backhanded! “Figure of speech, Pinkie. And thanks, I think.” He rubbed his hand behind his head, sparing Twilight a glance. She hadn’t spoken a word since leaving the witness stand, refusing all his offers to talk or even be comforted. Like she’s already punishing herself even before anypony else does…

“Yeah, seriously, Nick,” Maya spoke up next, giving him a cockeyed grin and looking in a far better mood than she had earlier, gently shooing Pinkie away. “Preparation and research ain’t your usual M.O. I’ll have to tell sis about this!” she teased.

“I’m so happy for you, Mystic Trixie!” Pearl threw her arms around the very startled showmare. “I told you Mister Nick always wins!”

Trixie stiffened, her eyes wide, trying to gently push the young human girl back. “Um, sweetie…”

“You have my thanks as well, Mister Wright,” Mystral Noctus took pains to say, stepping forward to offer his hoof to Phoenix. “You are an honor to your profession, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for freeing my daughter.”

Edgeworth arched an eyeridge as Phoenix returned the gesture with his own thanks. “Don’t get too full of yourself, Wright. You still got a guilty verdict, and Lady Requiem pulled her punches on you in the last stage of the trial. She was trying to help you, not hinder you. Don’t think differently.”

Just as her name was spoken, a slight cough preceded the entry of Delta Requiem herself into the room. Speak of the spellsinger… Phoenix thought, noting that despite the good cheer, she looked rather grave. “Congratulations, Mister Wright—and to you as well, Lula. Not to put a damper on the mood, but I’m afraid I won’t be joining the festivities.”

“Awww, why not? You and Feenie both did a super-duper job today, getting that meanie judge removed and Trixie such a small sentence!” Pinkie protested.

Delta sighed at that. “Thank you, Miss Pie, but I fear this was just the first straw in the hay bale. I need to get back to Canterlot to begin my investigation in earnest. If there’s one thing that the past few days have shown, it’s that there is something rotten in the criminal justice system of Equestria. I need to find out how deep its roots go, so I can yank it out in its entirety.”

Phoenix nodded. “I assume you’re talking about Fair Verdict being bribed?”

“In part,” Delta answered, wearing a troubled look. “Though it has more to do with my inquiries in the Prosecutor’s Office clerical department. I learned that several employees were bribed there as well, both for their silence and to make sure that the paperwork assigning Trixie to Rainbow Dash’s trial was put through without having it run by one of the higher-ups in the offices,” she said, looking grim.

“Whoever arranged this is well-connected and covered their tracks well. And for it, I fear I’m going to be awfully busy for a while. This is a lot of corruption to root out, even for somepony like me.”

Edgeworth, who’d perked up at the mention of the Prosecutor’s Office, stepped forward. “Then perhaps, Lady Requiem, you require some assistance to help expedite matters?”

Delta turned to the well-mannered human, looking him over from head to toe. “And you are…?”

“Miles Edgeworth, chief prosecutor of the city Wright and I come from,” he answered, giving one of his signature bows, bending over with his right forearm and hand horizontal in front of him. “And being a prosecutor, I am naturally interested in the sanctity of the judicial system, be it my world’s or yours.”

Phoenix grinned. “I can vouch for him, Lady Requiem. Edgeworth is a superb prosecutor and an honorable man. Give him the chance, and he will uncover the truth.”

Delta’s face changed from surprised to pleased. “Well, then! I could certainly use some assistance, yes. Hopefully, between the two of us, we can resolve these issues swiftly. I’ve no desire to be in a prolonged dark age of the law.”

There’s that phrase again, ‘dark age of the law,’ thought Phoenix. Drama’s all well and good, but that’s a bit much, I think.

A chiming sound brought the room’s attention back to Delta, who was looking down at the clasp of her cloak. Said object was glowing and emitting a rather royal-sounding ringtone; one that made Twilight visibly cringe. “Well. It seems somepony else has something to say,” she mused, as she tapped the clasp, and drew her hoof in a circle around it as she sang softly.

The glow intensified and started projecting an image into the air, much as had been seen at the trial with the crystal recorder. This time, however, the image was of a certain alicorn, the full-sized sight of whom caused all the ponies present to bow in deference.

Princess Celestia! This is a surprise and honor,” Phoenix offered, giving her a short bow, as a startled but uncertain Edgeworth, Maya, and Pearl took a moment to follow his lead.

The translucent alicorn chuckled slightly, her ethereal mane waving as if in an unseen breeze. “Did you think that I wouldn’t have ways to keep in contact with one of my best agents in the field? And please rise, everypony. And everyone,” she added on seeing the additional humans; Phoenix noted her gaze fell briefly but in some surprise on Maya when she noticed her Magatama, her eyes fixed on it for a moment.

Odd. Why would she recognize that? he couldn’t help but wonder, but didn’t get a chance to pursue the thought as Celestia addressed her new guests.

“Greetings and welcome to Equestria, Miss Maya, young Pearl, and Miles Edgeworth,” she addressed each in turn, to their surprise. “I am Princess Celestia, Twilight’s teacher and the monarch of this land. She told me your names and how you were brought here, and for it, I offer my sincerest apologies for the involuntary manner in which you were summoned. Be assured I will do my utmost to make your stay a pleasant one and return you to your world in due time. And please, there is no need to bow. You are not my subjects, so you need not kneel before me.”

Rising from her own bow, Pinkie began jumping up and down excitedly, speaking before anypony else could. “So, Princess, did you hear about the trial today? Or did you wanna hear it from us? Ooo, or maybe you want to—”

Celestia’s laughter cut her off. “I’m well aware of what transpired during the trial, Pinkie Pie, as one of the recorders in the courtroom was modified to allow me to view the proceedings as though I were actually there.” She smiled at Phoenix. “I would like to offer my congratulations to Mister Wright for yet another superb job. In both exposing Fair Verdict and in your excellent defense of Trixie Lulamoon, you have once again proven that you are worthy of the title ‘greatest defense attorney’, Phoenix Wright.”

Edgeworth’s eyebrows flew up, but much to his credit, he did not snort in amusement at the statement, deciding it would be unseemly to do so in front of what had to be this nation’s ruler. Maya, on the other hand, wasn’t quite so restrained, having to clap her hands over her mouth to stifle her giggles, earning a glare from Phoenix.

Can’t you guys even allow me ONE moment of pride? he thought in some exasperation.

Celestia either didn’t notice or chose to disregard it; her expression becoming more solemn. “However, simple congratulations are not the only reason I have contacted you all through Delta. It would seem I have a reprimand to deliver as well.” Her virtual gaze fell on Twilight, who gulped and stepped forward, her head bowed so low it was almost scraping the ground.

Celestia waited until she had arrived before her virtual image, staring down at her for several seconds before she spoke again. “Twilight Sparkle. I find myself in the rare position of not having the proper words to express how I feel. ‘Disappointed’ would be a grave understatement in this case.”

Twilight flinched as though she’d been struck. “P-Princess, I—” Her voice failed, having never heard such a reproachful tone directed at her from her mentor before.

“It is not the fact that you learned a scrying spell without my permission that causes me to say this,” Celestia continued, “nor is it the fact that you apparently snuck into a restricted area repeatedly and without permission to study it. It is the fact that you used this spell on somepony whose emotional state was severely compromised at the time, and who you were in the process of dueling.

“This is a flagrant violation of privacy, and while not strictly illegal, it goes against my personal conscience and all magical ethics I have attempted to teach you,” she informed Twilight, whose ears and fur drooped further with each word spoken.

“But Princess! She—” Phoenix began, only for Celestia to hold up a halting hoof at him, and though there was no anger or reproach directed at him behind it, he found himself falling silent as she went on.

“Had you stopped at that, perhaps I wouldn’t be as troubled. But you did more, my student. You deliberately revealed a mare’s darkest thoughts and secrets to an entire gallery of ponies during a very public trial. I grant that, given the judge’s disposition at the time, you had no other means of mitigating Trixie’s sentence, but it is nonetheless a severe violation of her sanctity of self. All said, I cannot in good conscience allow your actions to go unpunished,” she said solemnly.

Twilight looked like she was on an executioner’s chopping block as Trixie watched and waited expectantly. “Wh-what is your decision, Princess?”

Celestia sighed, closing her eyes and bowing her head slightly. “It is my decree that, for a period of one month, your tenure as my student is hereby suspended. Your royal stipend will be cut off during this time, as will your access to the Canterlot Archives. And I will be personally overseeing security upgrades to the Archives, particularly the restricted wings, to ensure that there will be no more sneaking in, from you or anypony else,” she pronounced sentence less as a judge or ruler than a disappointed parent.

“Your desire to know more about magic and the ponies around you is commendable, Twilight. But what purpose do rules serve when even those in authority choose not to pay them heed?”

Maya blinked at the startlingly familiar phrase coming from the Sun Princess. Well, at least it’s not the usual references I’ve been getting here… need to break that game out again sometime! She decided, resolving to do so as soon as she got back home.

Twilight hung her head and waved off her friends. Phoenix, however, felt compelled to speak up. “With respect, Princess, she could have simply never told anyone what she did, you know. But she revealed it to help Trixie, even though she knew she’d be punished for it. And it worked.”

Trixie all but bit her lip to keep from saying the first words that popped into her head as Celestia turned her gaze on him, the barest element of reproach in it. “So the ends justify the means, Phoenix Wright? Did they also when you falsely accused Fluttershy?” she challenged, causing him to fall silent and grimace. “Magical ethics, like attorney ethics, exist for good reasons, and I cannot ignore such an egregious violation of them simply by virtue of a favorable outcome.”

“I was just asking you to take it into consideration that she wasn’t being selfish,” he offered somewhat more wanly, feeling compelled to stand up for Twilight but also forced to acknowledge the truth of Celestia’s words. Kind of hard to counter an argument when it’s one I got censured with already!

“Phoenix… thank you, but she’s right. Regardless of how things turned out, I was wrong to do it,” Twilight told him, then turned back to Celestia. “I understand, Princess. And I accept your punishment.” She bowed low again.

Phoenix noted a brief flash of pain cross Celestia’s face, even through the projection. “You may still send me letters and other reports during this period, Twilight. Do not think this the end of our relationship; I only need to impress upon you the seriousness of what you have done,” she emphasized, then looked around. “Farewell, dear friends, until we meet again!” Her image faded away as Delta’s clasp ceased to glow.

“Well, that was a bit depressing,” Maya noted, surprised by the fact that she actually felt a bit sorry for Sparkle.

“Speak for yourself, Miss ‘Medium’,” Trixie smiled for the first time since the trial. “At least Trixie gets some retribution, then!”

The others glared at her, then stepped forward. “Twi—we know why you did it. For us and for her,” Applejack began, putting a foreleg over her friend’s shoulders. “It weren’t honest, but yer confession sure as hay was. So ain’t nothing changes ’cause of this.”

“You mean… w-we’re still friends…?” Twilight asked hesitantly and very meekly, still looking forlorn.

“Of course we are!” Rainbow Dash said, adding her wing to Applejack’s hug. “We forgive you, egghead!”

“Your actions were questionable but your motives were true… even if lost on our friend in blue,” Zecora added with a nod at Trixie.

“You risked much to do it, darling, and we all respect that,” Rarity noted as well, tilting Twilight’s chin up with a flare of her magic and dabbing at her eyes with a materialized handkerchief. “Now dry those tears, and know that we will stand by you no matter what!”

Far from drying them, Twilight’s eyes got even more watery as Fluttershy approached next, brushing her friend’s wet cheek with a wingtip. “We all love you, Twilight. Don’t ever think differently.”

“Group HUG!” Pinkie announced as she somehow popped up behind her friends. Her forelegs looked abnormally long as she drew them all together into an embrace, causing Phoenix to smile ear-to-ear and Edgeworth to rub his temples like he had a headache, while Trixie just wore a disgusted look.

“Speak for yourselves…” she muttered under her breath, only holding back from more pointed remarks for the presence of her father and Pearl.

Delta watched with a grin, waiting until the hug was broken before clearing her throat. “Now that that matter is settled, back to the subject at hoof—do you still wish to help me investigate, Mister Edgeworth?” Delta turned her attention back on the red-suited human.

Edgeworth nodded and clasped his hands in front of him. “As it happens, I’ve no pressing cases back home at the moment. I was about to go on a sabbatical and travel to observe foreign legal systems when Miss Fey contacted me. Though Equestria was hardly on my original itinerary, I’ll consider this a part of that.”

There was a moment of silence as everyone looked at him. “Do you always want to work when you go on vacation, Edge?” Rainbow Dash asked from her hover beside him, having adopted the nickname for the human prosecutor the previous day.

“There is nothing wrong with doing a little work while on leave, Miss Dash,” Edgeworth crossed his arms and replied huffily. “I am not one to stand on the sidelines when there is corruption to uproot, whether in your world or mine.”

“Well, I think Mister Edgeworth is very noble and generous to make such an offer!” Rarity spoke up, putting her hoof on her chest. “And I would be more than happy to accompany him on such a worthy mission!”

Edgeworth flushed. “Lady Rarity, that’s really not...” he looked to Phoenix, appealing to his friend for help.

Phoenix wasn’t about to give it, the corners of his mouth turning upwards again. Think I’ll miss the chance to make YOU squirm, Miles? “You should definitely take her, Edgeworth. Rarity has quite the eye for detail.” He indicated his suit to his fellow attorney, who only now seemed to realize that his rival’s normal blue outfit was a lot shinier than usual. “In any event, take it from me—you need a guide to this world,” he said with a rueful look at Twilight, who grimaced and nodded.

“It would be my honor to accompany and aid you… in whatever way I can, Darling,” she looked up at Edgeworth hopefully, her blue eyes sparkling before turning almost hooded, causing some muted snickers from Twilight’s friends and Edgeworth’s flush to intensify.

Delta spotted what was happening and played along, her mouth crooking upward in a knowing smile. “Splendid! It’s settled then. We will make ready to leave immediately,” she announced with a wink, giving Edgeworth no time to object as she departed the room, leaving instructions to meet at the train station in an hour.

Phoenix watched her leave with a chuckle. Miss Rarity’s got her work cut out for her. Edgeworth’s normally about as receptive to romance as a moldy sponge! “I guess that’s that, then. I’m sure glad she was prosecuting. Though it all did seem to fall into place a little too easily at times,” Phoenix noted to Twilight.

“I mean, Fair Verdict losing that letter right out of her sleeve… Due Process just happened to be in the gallery watching instead of working… all your fellow elementals gathered here as well…” He shook his head. “What were the odds?”

“A lot higher than you might think,” a relieved Twilight stated, finally managing a grin. “Thanks to Lady Requiem, that is.”

Applejack blinked in confusion, as did every other human and pony in the room. “Yer saying it was her? How’d she arrange all that?

“Oh, it wasn’t so much arranging as enabling,” Twilight launched into a lecture, just relieved she was still on talking terms with her friends. “Unlike most unicorn spells, Spellsinger magic has less direct effects than indirect ones. It’s a very unique ability, actually—her songs can alter probability itself to help produce an outcome she wants. That’s what she meant when she said she could use her power to cause chaos,” Twilight explained.

“She makes the improbable probable and the most remote chances possible. When she sang, she bewitched Fair Verdict so that her accidentally revealing her corruption became far more likely. I’d also imagine she’d done a little prep work before she came in as well to ensure the stage was set. So yes, it was all by chance, but by a magically heightened chance.”

“Wow,” was all Phoenix could say. Every time I think I’ve got this world figured out…

“Cool! Hey Nick, we should take her to Las Vegas! We’d make a killing!” Maya suddenly suggested, causing the ponies to look at her funny.

“Las ‘Vegas’?” Rainbow Dash blinked. “What, is that anything like Las Pegasus? Are all your place names just puns of ours?”

“Yes, yes, everything’s hunky-dorey and you spared me prison. But you still left me with a fine I can’t pay!” Trixie groused, finally sounding more like her old self. “And just how do you propose Trixie starts making money with a suspended law license and no stage?”

Phoenix glanced at Twilight while every other human and pony in the room looked at Trixie in disbelief. “Actually, I’ve been thinking about that,” he began, scratching his chin. “Hey, Trixie?”

“What do you want?” she asked sharply, still stewing over Twilight’s revelation as Phoenix pulled a bank slip out of his jacket—a check he’d prepared the previous day with Twilight’s help.

“This is the bulk of my payment for defending Rainbow, direct from Princess Celestia. I want you to have it.” He passed her the slip in the amount of fifty thousand bits.

Trixie’s jaw fell open as she saw the amount, as did that of every pony and human in the room.

“I… you mean… you’re giving… that money to…me?” She stared at him like he’d suddenly turned into the pegasus on Twilight’s romance novel cover.

“I am,” he bowed his head. “I can’t use Equestrian money in my world, so I may as well give it to a worthy pony here. And that’s you, Trixie.”

“What!?” The entire room finally rediscovered their voices.

“Don’t tell me you’re serious! Why are you giving it to her!?” Rainbow brought her hoof down hard.

“I’m with Rainbow on this one. She ain’t done one good thing to deserve that money!” Applejack piled on.

“How generous!” Pearly lit up. “You’ll win Mystic Maya’s heart for sure that way, Mister Nick!”

“Nick? Are you feeling alright?” Maya asked him, going up and putting a palm on his forehead. “She didn’t deserve that prison term, but that doesn’t mean Miss Blue-Butt deserves this!”

Phoenix gave her a reproachful look. “Maybe so, but she’s the only one leaving this courthouse empty handed—er, hooved.”

“That doesn’t mean you should give it to her, Mister Wright! I mean, look at all she’s done!” Rarity turned her nose up in disgust. “I mean, there’s generous, and then there’s just plain undeserving, darling!”

“Yeah!” Rainbow flared her wings in anger as Trixie’s expression cycled from bewildered to speechless to suspicious and back in the space of several seconds, staring at the check like she wasn’t sure it was real or just a cruel joke. “She nearly got me banished, Nix! How can you look past that?”

“Because she honestly thought you were guilty, Rainbow. Once she realized you weren’t, she helped prove both you and Sonata innocent. And even before that, I remember a moment when Sonata had me backed into a corner regarding teleporting until Trixie interjected.

“Her theory saved the case, and it was her final piece of evidence that was decisive. She prosecuted you, yes, but at the same time, you wouldn’t have been proven innocent without her,” he spoke to Rainbow but reminded them all.

“I’m a strong believer that everything isn’t black and white, especially after that case… and now this one. Sometimes good people make mistakes and do things they may come to deeply regret later. And sometimes, those people are prosecutors,” he finished with a pointed glance at Edgeworth, who looked away in regret for a moment.

“On the other hoof, people we perceive as bad—like Sonata or even Trixie—may not be as bad as we thought they were once we get their side of the story. Whether Trixie did that to help me or not—it really did help us see victory in the end. And even aside from Twilight’s revelations, I really do think there is good in her after she did something like that. I can’t punish her for doing her job and doing it well, especially when it led to the truth,” he finished as Rainbow looked like she was trying to find a retort but couldn’t.

“Take the check, Trixie. You earned it—for a lifetime of pain, for what the trial and duel did to you, and above all else for helping prove Rainbow innocent. Use this to pay your fine, and then buy a new wagon and stage. This should more than cover it, shouldn’t it?”

Trixie could only stare at the check speechlessly.

Twilight, who had been making herself small in the background again, finally spoke up. “I forgive you, Trixie. As I hope and pray you’ll one day forgive me. I know now life has been really tough on you, but maybe this will start to make up for it. Take the money as a symbol of our forgiveness and friendship. Even if you’ve made some mistakes in the past, we’ll be there for you if you’re ever in trouble.”

Trixie’s lip started quivering. “I… I…”

Rainbow crossed her forelegs in midair. “Well I sure as hay won’t!”

“Rainbow!” the rest shouted at her.

“Lula? Don’t you have something to say?” Her father prompted gently.

Trixie looked like she was ready to cry again. “Phoenix… Twilight… I…”

Everypony waited expectantly.

“I… think you’re both the biggest losers, idiots, morons, dummies and numbskulls in all Equestria!” she suddenly exploded.

“Lula!” Her father exclaimed, but she charged ahead, pointedly not looking at him.

Honestly! Did you think the Great and Powerful Trixie would be touched by your namby-pamby sentiments!? Do you think you can buy my forgiveness for all you’ve done to me with a few filthy bits?” She shook as she spoke, her voice breaking at intervals but trying hard to mask her many emotions with anger. “’Thank you all so much! It feels so good to have fwends!’ All said while Trixie sheds a single tear! Was that what you were expecting? Huh? Huh!?” She brought her hoof down hard.

“Mystic Trixie!” Pearly went crestfallen.

“Y-yeah, that’s kind of what I was hoping for,” Twilight admitted with a rueful hoof behind her head.

Trixie’s violet eyes flashed blue and the air around her turned cold for a moment. “Tough luck, Snarkle! You’re in need of a return ticket flight to reality from that sugar-coated world you live in!”

“Ooh! Oooh! Ooooh! I like sugar! I couldn’t imagine if the world was coated in it! Wouldn’t it taste delicious? Actually I dunno if that’s a good idea. I have to try really hard to keep myself from eating Sugarcube Corner, because it looks like it’s made out of candy and treats and stuff but it’s really not. Trust me, I tried! Turns out it’s just gross metal and concrete and wood and—”

“Pinkie?” Twilight had facehoofed. “This is really not the time!”

For once, Pinkie actually looked chagrined. “Oh! Uh, sorry,” she said with a nervous grin.

“Fine, Snarkle! And you too, Wrong! Trixie will take this money you so foalishly donated to her!” she forced some bravado even as her legs were shaking.

Rainbow voiced the disgust that everypony else was feeling. “See! What did we tell you? She never learns!”

“Simmer down, Rainbow Trash. Trixie is counting her bits!” Trixie studied the check, though her gleeful smile looked forced.

“Call me ‘Rainbow Trash’ just one more time! I dare you!” Rainbow pawed at the floor angrily. “We’re not in court anymore, so nothing is stopping me from turning you red, black, and blue!

“Actually you’d only turn her black and red, Rainbow Dash. She’s already blue!” Pinkie looked proud of her statement.

“Oh, you don’t like the name Trixie has so graciously bestowed upon you? How about Lamebow Dash? That really was a good one! Hey! I know, let’s merge the two! We’ll call you ‘Lamebow Trash’! It’s perfect, just like Trixie!” she cackled and suddenly disappeared into a poof of pink smoke. When it cleared, she was gone, though they caught a brief flash of her tail from around a corner followed by the sounds of galloping down the hall.

Rainbow Dash immediately crouched and flared her wings again, this time for takeoff. “Okay, that’s it!

Twilight immediately and reflexively restrained her with magic before wincing again at a stab of pain through her horn. “Just calm down, Rainbow. I suppose it’s just her way of saying thank you,” she rubbed her forehead again. This really won’t go down as one of my better days...

“An obnoxious and stuck-up way of saying it if you ask me!” Rainbow bit out, folding her wings back against her side. “Fine, whatever. I still can’t believe you gave all that money to her. What a bucking waste.” She sat down angrily.

“I’m sure deep down in her heart she really is thankful,” Phoenix said through gritted teeth. Even if she doesn’t show it…

“Always so naive, Wright,” was all Edgeworth would say over crossed arms, while Maya was even less gracious.

“That ungrateful blue—” she bit off the last word for the presence of Pearly as Phoenix rubbed his own head ruefully. I was really hoping she’d show some sliver of gratitude after that. Guess you can’t win ’em all.

“Forgive my daughter, please,” Trixie’s father pleaded with them all. “She’s not used to kindness and it’s a lot for her to absorb.”

“I agree,” Phoenix nodded, sitting back down, resting a hand on Twilight’s shoulders, causing Maya’s eyes to narrow. “Friendship and forgiveness are alien concepts to her, so when presented with them, she panicked. She doesn’t know how to deal with it, so she fell back on what she knew—insults and invective.”

Twilight sighed, leaning into his hand slightly. “I guess you’re right. She’s got a lifetime of loneliness and anger to overcome. It wouldn’t be realistic for her to come around just like that. The ‘Great and Apologetic Trixie’ she’s not.”

“That would be a little out of character for her,” Phoenix grimaced, scarcely able to imagine the mare magician saying such a thing. “Just give her time. It’ll take a while to assimilate everything that’s happened to her.”

“We’ll just have to leave her alone for a bit. There are reasons each of us are born. We each have to find those reasons,” Twilight stated, causing Maya to start again before slumping in resignation. “And maybe finally, she can.”

“Thank you, Uncle Iroh,” the teenage mystic muttered under her breath. “So who’s up for some food?” she suddenly asked, startling everyone present with an actual note of enthusiasm—the first one they’d heard from her since she arrived. “Back home, we usually celebrate case wins with dinner on Nick!”

“So long as it’s quick,” Edgeworth said with a smirk, noticing that Phoenix had slumped at the reminder of how his case wins usually ended. “I do need to meet up with Lady Requiem at the train station in… a little less than an hour,” he noted as he checked his pocket watch.

“I can deal with that!” Rainbow quickly agreed, rubbing her tummy. “Another round of oatburgers, then?”

“Yeah, I think we all could,” Twilight agreed, happy to finally see Maya in a somewhat better mood than before. “How about it, Zecora? Do you want to come eat with us?”

Zecora shook her head. “With deep regret, I must decline, as I fear I simply do not have time. I should head home before the light of the moon. For something tells me she will visit soon,” she said with a nod in the direction Trixie had left.

“Okay. Well, thanks for being her friend, Zecora,” Twilight bowed her head in deep respect to the other mare. “And… thanks for not telling me about her. You were right, it would have ended badly for us both if I tried to talk to her then.”

Zecora bowed her head in acknowledgment. “It was not easy to keep her presence hid. But I felt it was best for you both that I did. Please come visit before too long. I have made more of your favorite tea—Oolong.”

“Promise,” Twilight said, giving the zebra mare a parting hug with her foreleg.

“May I come with you, Ms. Zecora?” Mystral Noctus spoke up. “If Lula is coming to your home, I want to be there when she arrives.”

Zecora looked at the caped earth pony stallion for a moment before smiling and nodding. “My magician friend, of course you may. But we should leave now, under the full light of day.”

“Can I come too?” Pearl spoke up. “I want to help Mystic Trixie!”

Phoenix glanced at Twilight, who looked as appalled at the idea as he was. “Her house is in the Everfree. No way.” He shook his head sharply.

Pearl’s expression darkened and she rolled up her right sleeve. “I don’t care, Mister Nick! I want to help Mystic Trixie!”

“No harm will come to her, I can safely say. I have ways to keep the forest at bay,” Zecora promised.

“Well, if she’s going, I’m going too!” Maya took her determined pose, fists clenched and held up at an angle to either side of her cheeks. “Think I’m gonna pass up the chance to give that ice queen cretin a piece of my mind?”

“But—”

“We’re going, Nick!” Maya insisted in a tone that brooked no argument, crossing her arms over her chest.

Phoenix rubbed his eyes, knowing that when Maya and Pearls had made up their minds, there was little he could do to stop them. “Fine, but… Fluttershy?” He turned to her next. “Can you go with them? I’d feel a lot better if you did.”

“What? Her?” Maya’s jaw dropped open, unable to fathom how the timid mare would be any help. “Surely, you can’t be serious!”

“I am serious,” Phoenix replied.

“And don’t call him Shirley!” Pinkie added, causing Maya to be caught short again.

Even Phoenix gave Pinkie a surprised look at that. “Trust me, Maya—I know she doesn’t seem like it, but Fluttershy can handle anything in those woods, including the more threatening forest creatures.” And she’s got a stare that could freeze your blood worse than Trixie could!

Fluttershy smiled. “Of course, Mister Phoenix. I promise nothing will happen to them while I’m there.” She flared her wings protectively around the two human girls.

“Then… okay,” Phoenix rubbed his hand behind his head. “But can they stay the night if necessary?” he asked Zecora.

“Stay they may,” the zebra mare confirmed. “I have beds for all should the need arise, and staying overnight would certainly be wise.”

“Then it’s settled!” Maya announced as they began to file out the door, though she had a sudden second thought—do I really want to leave Nick alone with Sparkle, especially after what she admitted to in there?

“By the way, Nix,” Rainbow spoke up as they were exiting the defense waiting area and made ready to face the media again, cameras already flashing from the lobby as they emerged into the hall. “While we were watching the duel playback, Pearly got real excited. She kept saying the same name over and over.”

“Same name?” Phoenix blinked. “Whose?”

“Yeah. So who’s ‘Elsa’?” Rainbow asked.

Beside her, Maya groaned.

Author's Note:

Chapter updated as part of a major editing pass and story overhaul on November 15, 2018.


And with that, we’re finally done with Trixie’s trial. What awaits us in the remaining chapters? Shenanigans… shipping… and some final foreshadowing of future events. :rainbowwild: Hard to believe, but only three chapters remain. No, really, I mean it this time. Just the grand finale and the epilogue are left. Still some fireworks ahead and plot threads to close, folks, and fear not—the original ending and some as-yet missed scenes will factor in. And upon completion of this story, the tale of Twilight and Phoenix begins, which will have its first chapters up on my page for the final chapter release. For those who do not care for it, the sequel itself will follow within a few months and there’ll be plenty of notice for both from me and Leo. Watch us if you want updates.

Thanks as always to Leo for the collaboration—he wrote the Celestia scene and several other smaller sections—to Raven for her help and indulgence, to AJ_Aficionado, KeybladePony and TheGoldCrow for the preread, and… to all of you for sticking with the story all the way to the end. It’s a source of great pride to me how much of a hit this has been, and I’m so very honored and grateful I’ve been able to leave my mark on this story as I have. I’ll have more to say for the final chapter, but until then… enjoy!

—Firesight

PreviousChapters Next