• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 7,007 Views, 118 Comments

Night Apples - RangerBeef



Big Mac and Luna become romantically involved after finding they have more in common than they think

  • ...
7
 118
 7,007

Chapter 4

"What's eatin' you, Big Mac? You've been slower than a mule in molasses all week." Applejack walked the grounds with Big Mac, as they cleared away the last of the tree limbs from between the rows of apple trees.

Big Mac trotted up to her with a trailer of sticks in tow behind him. "I've just been feeling under the weather is all. I'll be right as rain next week."

"Yea. And I'll be elected mayor of Ponyville. What's got you so distracted? You darn near run over my hoof yesterday, you watered my tail the day before that, that's not like you." She eyed him closely.

He brushed off her questions. "I'm just not feeling good and I'm not sleeping well. It's nothing, AJ. Stop worryin' so much."

"Hmph. Whatever you say." Applejack walked away from him, a bit annoyed.

Big Mac hated lying to her but he felt this would be a secret worth keeping so he could surprise her and the others.

The truth was, he really wasn't sleeping well. He'd been having some very vivid dreams about a certain alicorn that had fallen into his life and he was developing certain feelings for her. He was confused about these feelings, though. After all, she was a princess and he just a common stallion. He had never really dreamed of meeting the princesses personally, let alone actually dreaming of them. He resigned himself to what would be his lot, this plot of land and a common mare. No princess would ever dream of taking him out of all the other stallions in her choices.

He took his time heading back to the barn, their work for the day was done which meant plenty of downtime before dinner and his garden time. He had planned to write down the notes from last night and perhaps catch up on some much needed sleep but as he returned to the farmhouse he could see his plan was already spoiled.

"Oh, there you are, Big Mac! I was just talking to Applejack about a new clothing line I want to run but I need a rather strapping male model."

Big Mac smiled as Rarity rambled. He had always liked her. She may be a bit prissy for his tastes but he always found her amusing.

"Anyway, long story short," Too late, Mac thought, "would you be so kind as to be my model for the evening?"

"No problem at all, Miss Rarity. If you'll give me one minute to take care of something I'd be happy to help."

Rarity nodded and turned her attention, and her knack for rambling, onto Applejack as Big Mac made his way inside and up to his room.

He grabbed the notebook he'd been using and scribbled the observations from last night in and reminded himself that Princess Luna would be coming by so he had to be free of Rarity at a decent time. He was certain that wouldn't be a problem.

-----

"So, Big Mac, do you have any special someponies in your life?" Rarity asked, nonchalantly, as she worked her magic.

After what had been hours of mostly silence, Big Mac was caught off guard by the question. "Umm.. Not really, I suppose. There is one mare I sorta fancy but she's out of my league."

"Nonsense! You're a catch for any mare. A strong worker, intelligent, generous and kind. Any mare would be lucky to have you."

Big Mac blushed rather deeply, happy that Rarity had not paused to look at him as she spoke. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome. So tell me about this mare. Is she an Earth pony, a unicorn, or a pegasus? What does she look like?" Rarity's natural curiosity and gossipy nature had kicked in.

Big Mac thought for a moment. "She's a pegasus. She's got very dark colored fur and a purple mane."

"Ah, black and purple are such a glorious color combination. Like, Princess Luna, her coat and mane are just exquisite. Tell me more about this mystery mare. What's she like?"

Big Mac again had to think. "She's... Different. Not like most ponies in town. She's a bit old fashioned, I guess. She's funny but she doesn't always catch her own jokes. And she seems pretty interested in apples."

"She sounds like quite a lady. What makes you think she's out of your league?" Rarity held up the garment she was sewing before adjusting it in the machine and getting back to work.

"We just lead different lives. I work all day and she works all night. And she could have her choice of any stallion in Equestria. With that many more successful and rich stallions to choose from, I don't think she'd ever pick me."

Rarity paused in her work and turned to him. "You mustn't think like that. You have to realize that sometimes being rich and successful isn't what makes ponies happy. Sometimes it's hard work, determination, and, dare I say, a little dirt in your mane that makes ponies the happiest they've ever been. You said this mare of yours likes apples, is there some kind of apple that grows at night?" She turned back to her work.

"Umm.. Yes. But they are very rare."

"Well, then perhaps your best chance of 'wooing' this mare is to find a way to grow those trees. Tell her that one tree in particular is hers and then you can help her to grow that tree and from that blossoming tree so too shall your love blossom." Rarity stopped working once again and sighed delightfully to herself.

"Or perhaps I'm just reading too many romance novels and wishing that Blue Blood hadn't been such a.." She exhaled sharply, "Such an uncouth gentlecolt."

Big Mac chuckled softly, both at her advice and her disdain for Blue Blood. "Don't you worry a hair on your head about him, Miss Rarity. Colts like him always getting what's coming to them in the end."

"Yes, I just wish that end would come sooner rather than later. So when will you next see this mare of yours?"

"Well, I'm supposed to meet her tonight," he paused as he looked at the clock on the wall. "Oh no."

"'Oh no?' Don't tell me I've made you miss a date?"

"Not really a date, but.. I'm a bit on the late side."

Rarity gathered up the clothes she had draped over him and tossed them onto a mannequin. "That just won't do. I won't have you missing a chance at love by being here with me. Go to her. I'll finish this up and come by the farm to have you try it on."

Big Mac stepped down off of the pedestal he'd been standing on. "Thank you, Miss Rarity." He made his way out of her home and took off down the street toward Sweet Apple Acres.

Rarity watched him disappear into the night from her window and sighed. "Oh, to be young and in love." She glanced at the picture of herself and Fluttershy that she kept on her desk and smiled warmly.

-----

Princess Luna sat at the gate to the garden and looked around. She had arrived at the same time she usually did but Macintosh was nowhere in sight. She had been waiting for nearly 15 minutes before she entered the gate slowly.

She walked the small garden and noticed a few of the trees seemed to be wilting. With the help of her magic she summoned a small rain cloud and moved it from plot to plot, giving each an ample drink. She inspected each tree individually and agreed that the trunks would need to be covered if they were expected to remain secret. She made a mental note to look up a spell that might help with that.

After her inspection, she leaned against the gate and waited a few minutes more before her patience ran out. She produced a piece of paper and quill and left Macintosh a note before she took off into the night.

Big Mac came running up only moments after Luna had taken off. He spotted her for a moment in the sky before she disappeared. He swore to himself about being late and moved to enter the garden when he spotted the note.

Dear Macintosh,

Nothing new to report this evening. I watered the trees because they looked slightly wilted. I believe they may be exposed to too much direct sunlight during the day so I will dispatch a cloud unit to the appropriate location in the sky to block some sunlight for them.

I do not begrudge you for not being here tonight. I know you work very hard during the day and there will be times you must get sleep, as the "day apples" are more important than these few "night apples." On those nights, I will be happy to do any work the trees may require, though you may have to teach me proper techniques.

Also, I will research a way to hide the glow from the trunks. The last thing our garden needs is a curious and hungry pony happening across it.

Sleep well and I will see you soon,
Luna

Big Mac read that last paragraph twice. "Our garden." He smiled. Maybe Rarity's ridiculous plan wasn't so ridiculous after all. Perhaps with 'their garden' she would find him more than just a common stallion.

His feelings grew as he walked back to the farmhouse. He was beginning to enjoy staying up so late.