• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,470 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,470

Flying High...

Rapidfire sighed, his blank gaze fixated at an old newspaper held loosely in his hooves. He had picked it up seemingly hours earlier, only to never read past the front page, some vapid story about local political nonsense. Rapid shook his head and rubbed his eyes against his hoof as he tossed the paper onto the small end table beside Spitfire’s bed.

The trauma room they had tucked her in was cramped by pegasus standards. The bed was positioned in the center of the space with an array of monitors and equipment lining the back wall. The sidewalls of the room were furnished with matching cabinets presumably filled with life saving equipment and carefully organized. Along the front wall had been a pair of mismatched chairs that seemed more like an afterthought than anything else. The cheap construction and worn-out cushioning certainly didn’t win any points from the former mail carrier.

Slipping off the chair, Rapid grunted as he stretched the stiff muscles in his wings and back. He held the stretch for several long moments before he relaxed with a satisfied sigh. With nothing else to do, Rapid began to pace around the bed, mindful to keep his steps quiet for Spitfire.

A worried frown pulled at his lips as he turned his attention to his sister. Even through the morphine haze, Rapid could see the pain etched across her face. He could only imagine how bad it must have hurt for her, though the worst pain he had ever experienced had been a few cracked ribs after a training accident.

Rapidfire’s wings fidgeted against his sides, his feathers quivering with barely restrained energy. He trotted back to his chair and forced himself to sit back down. He ruffled his mane with a hoof and took a series of deep breaths to calm down.

“What am I gonna tell Mom and Dad?” he pondered aloud. His heart skipped a beat at the very thought of that particular conversation. Their father was nothing if not overprotective of his children, and their mother wasn’t far behind. “What are we gonna tell Arcus?”

Rapidfire groaned, planting his head in his hooves and rubbing his face. Just for a few minutes, he wished he knew a time travel spell. He wished with all his heart he could go back one month and prevent Spitfire from tearing her wing the first time. So many problems would simply disappear if he could change that one moment.

Spitfire’s eyes slowly blinked open, her eyes drifting around the room until the settled on Rapid.

“Rah...” she gasped, her mouth dry from hours without a drop of water, “Rapid?”

Rapid jumped from the sound, instantly jumping from his seat and to her side. “Spits, are you okay? What happened?”

Spitfire winced, her foreleg covering her eyes. “Nnng, there was... there was an accident. Rainbow... Rainbow!” She blurted, doing her best to sit up.

Rapid put his hooves on her shoulders, gently coaxing her back down. “Easy, Spits, you’re still pretty out of it. What happened with Rainbow?”

“There... there was blood,” Spitfire began, her voice trembling. “She needed help. So... so I flew her here. An-and then there was this snap in my wing and... and...” a sick look spread over Spitfire’s face the more the memories returned to her. Spitfire lifted a hoof to cover her mouth, a bout of nausea nearly overwhelming her. “Oh Celestia... what... what have I...”

“Hey, hey!” Rapid cut her off, pulling his twin into a tight embrace. “Everythings okay now, right?”

“No... no its not okay,” Spitfire moaned, her hooves rubbing across her face. “its all over...”

“What do you mean?” Rapid asked, his right eyebrow arching upwards and a confused frown pulling at his lips. “You hurt your wing saving Rainbow, surely Arcus can’t be mad about that.”

Spitfire spat out a bitter laugh. “No... I... I did something yesterday. Something really stupid...”

“Don’t tell me, you slept with Rainbow?” Rapid asked.

Spitfire blushed and folded her forelegs over her chest. “My sex life isn’t your business, Rapid.”

“...Wait, I was just being a smartass, don’t tell me you really.... y’know...” he tapped his front hooves together.

Spitfire’s blush only intensified, Rapid gave her a self-satisfied smirk.

“I won’t tell Arcus,” he promised.

“Thats the least of what he’ll kick my ass for anyway,” Spitfire moaned, hissing from a lance of pain in her wing.

“What do you mean?” he asked, “I mean, what could—”

“I punched Fleetfoot,” Spitfire interrupted, her voice quiet.

“You what?” Rapid asked, recoiling in disbelief.

“Rainbow and I went to talk to her yesterday and I punched her when she made me mad,” Spitfire said, the shame hanging over her like a cloud.

“Why the hell would you do that?! Are you insane?” Rapid demanded.

“I wasn’t thinking, it just... happened.”

Rapidfire pressed a hoof to his forehead and sighed. For a few minutes silence settled between the siblings. Like the calm before a storm, Spitfire could all but feel Rapid’s frustrations boiling over.

“You know, sometimes, I really hate you,” He growled, his words born from years of unspoken frustration. “You always have to do everything your way and drag everypony along for the ride. Never mind if they’re all saying ‘hey, Spits, maybe that’s a bad idea’, or ‘maybe we shouldn’t stick our noses in that mess cause we’ll get smacked’, but nooo, it’s always ‘Spitfire’s way or the highway’, never mind that I’m the one who has to clean up the mess.”

“That’s not true, and you know it!” Spitfire challenged, her hoof striking the mattress and earning a pained wince from her.

“Oh really? How about when everypony said ‘hey Spits, maybe you shouldn’t date Rainbow’, or when we all—”

“You have no right to judge me for that! I’ve always gone out of my way to support your decisions!” she countered, hissing in pain when the outburst jarred her wing. “I always did my best to put personal feelings aside, especially after Zephyr. Now the one time I finally meet somepony I feel something good with, you’re gonna judge me for it?!”

“How do you think I feel, Spits?” Rapid demanded, his wings flaring out angrily. “How do you think it feels when I find out my sister just crippled herself? You have any idea how scared I was when you crashed a few weeks ago?”

“Rapid—“

“No! No, don’t you fucking ‘Rapid’ me like we’re kids and this is just some game! Last month you smashed into the ground head first, I thought you were dead! And now you knew your wing wasn’t ready to do hard work, but you carried Rainbow here anyway! Why can’t you ever wait? Why couldn’t you wait for help to get there? Don’t... don’t you trust us? Don’t you trust me?” Rapid’s voice cracked, tears building in the corners of his eyes. “We used to look out for each other, Spits… you used to trust me…”

“I had to, Rapid there wasn’t any choice!” Spitfire argued, snarling in a mixture of pain and anger.

“There is always a choice! You could have waited a few minutes f—”

“She didn’t wait before she saved my life at the Best Young Flyers Competition, and... and I... I couldn’t...” Spitfire’s voice dropped to barely more than a whisper. She reached up with a trembling hoof to cover her mouth, her eyes staring blankly into space.

Rapid took a cautious step towards her. “What? You couldn’t what?”

Spitfire took in a shaky breath, a lump forming in her throat and moisture obscuring her vision. “I... I couldn’t wait.”

“But why?!” Rapid asked, “I mean, why couldn’t you—”

“I just couldn’t, okay!” Spitfire shouted. “I would have done the same for you, you know!”

“I know, but... but don’t you trust me, Spits?” Rapid asked, his tone almost pleading. “You know I would’ve been there for you, right?”

There was a pair of brusque knocks, which startled the twins from their conversation. The wooden door pushed open, the metal hinges announcing their protest with a low creak. A heavyset unicorn trotted through the threshold, his amber coat mostly hidden under his teal surgical scrubs. His mane and tail mostly greyed out, though streaks of their original sandy blonde color were still visible. Below his nose was an exquisitely groomed moustache that both twins found impressive, even if age had turned it white.

“Good afternoon, I’m sorry to have kept you waiting so long. I’m Dr. Green, a pleasure to meet you both,” he introduced himself, a kind smile on his lips.

“Rapidfire,” Rapid said, offering Green his hoof, which the doctor quickly shook. “Nice to meet you.”

“Heya, doc,” Spitfire said, "how's it hanging?"

Green smirked from the relaxed comment, he was used to more... uncooperative patients. “Well enough, I suppose. So, we’re here to fix your wing, that sound about right.”

“Yeah, I guess. I’ve been kinda out of it from the drugs they gave me when I crashed,” Spitfire answered.

“Well,” he began, his horn pulling the chart from the foot of the bed. “judging from the damage we saw on the tests and from the symptoms you exhibited coming in, I’d suspect without those drugs you’d be in a world of hurt. How does it feel right now, on a scale of one to ten?”

“Seven or eight.”

Green nodded, replacing the chart before his magic encompassed Spitfire’s bandaged wing in a simple analysis spell. His face remained passive, though both Spitfire and Rapid could see the concentration in his eyes.

“Alright, so heres what we’re going to do Spitfire. First we’ve got to drain the blood from the area, that’ll take down the swelling. Then we’re going to open up the wing and repair the muscle, probably some magic, some sutures, it depends on how bad it is,” he paused noticing the pallor that had overtaken Rapid’s face. “Are you okay, sir?”

“I’m good!” Rapid answered quickly, his eyes squeezing shut as he forced himself to take deep,steady breaths.

Spitfire suppressed a giggle. “Rapid gets squeamish.”

“I see,” Green said, moving closer to Rapid in case he needed to catch. “Well then, do either of you have any other questions?” Dr. Green asked.

“What’s the recovery on surgeries like this?” Spitfire asked.

“It’s gonna depend on how bad the rupture is,” Green began. “You’ll be grounded for at least a month, and after a lot of physical therapy you should be able to have limited flight again. Again, we’ll know more once we’ve had a good look.”

“But, she flies for a living. We’re Wonderbolts... does... does this mean...” Rapid sputtered his forehooves rubbing nervously together.

“We’ll do our best, I can’t promise anything for certain though.” Green answered.

“Oh, um, I came in with another mare. She had a broken wing, did you work on her?” Spitfire asked.

“Rainbow maned mare?” Green asked.

“Yeah, she’s, um, she’s my marefriend.” Spitfire said.

“I see,” Green said, a hoof rubbing his chin as he considered his words. “I was asked to look at her wing, yes.”

“Could you tell me how she is?” Spitfire asked.

“She’s still in surgery, she was stable when I left,” he answered, he held up a hoof to stop the next question before Spitfire could ask. “I can’t say anything more, I’m sorry. Now then, do either of you have any other questions pertaining to your wing, Spitfire?”

Spitfire and Rapidfire both exchanged a quick glance before shaking their heads in tandem.

“Alright then, the nurses will be by in a few minutes to take you up to the OR.”

“Oh, wait!” Rapid interrupted, “I just thought of something. Do I wait in here, or is there someplace I should go? And, and we have some friends who should be stopping by soon. Where would they go?”

Green smiled as he answered. “A nurse will show you to the waiting rooms, your friends will be directed there as well.”

“Okay, thanks doc,” Rapid said, once again offering his hoof to the doctor. Green shook it again before excusing himself to scrub in.

Spitfire sighed, her head resting against the pillows and a resigned look settling over her face. When she spoke her tone was quiet, though nopony could miss the sadness in her words. “Hey, Rapid?”

“Yeah?”

“I need you to do me a favor while I’m out.”

“Name it.”

“You have Wonderbolts letterhead at your place, right?” she asked looking him in the eye.

“Yeah...” Rapid answered, not liking where this conversation was heading.

“If you could bring me some for when I wake up and a pencil, I’d appreciate it.” Spitfire said quietly.

“What for?” he asked, dread building in his chest.

Spitfire was quiet for a long while before she answered. Her eyes filled with tears and her jaw quivered like a leaf in the wind. “Arcus is gonna hear about this in a day or two. I... I’m going to have my letter of resignation ready when he gets here.”

“What?!” Rapid balked, “Spits, no! You—”

“Rapid, please, just do it. For me...” Spitfire said tiredly.

“Spits, I—”

Rapid’s comments were cut off as a pair of earth pony nurses trotted into the room. The first mare wore a set of light blue scrubs with a cheerful floral pattern, the second wore plain scrubs dyed a maroon color and trimmed with a deep blue. Both smiled cheerfully to the siblings.

“Are we all set?” the floral mare asked.

Spitfire took a deep breath, steeling herself before she nodded. “Let’s do it.”

“One sec,” Rapid said, moving to Spitfire’s bedside and giving her a hug, mindful of her wing. Spitfire returned the embrace, her hoof gently patting Rapid’s back. “I’ll see you soon.”

“Everything's gonna be fine,” Spitfire promised. “Love you.”

Rapid managed a nod, unable to speak over the knot in his throat. The mare in the floral scrubs disconnected Spitfire’s monitors, unlocked the brakes on Spitfire’s gurney, and wheeled her out the door. Rapid barely registered the other mare guiding him to the waiting room.

Spitfire forced herself to take deep breaths as she was taken to the OR. She watched the tiles and lights pass her overhead, she listened the the mare pushing her cart offer her the platitudes. She winced in pain when the gurney pushed open a set of swinging doors to the OR. A pair of unicorns enveloped her in their magical aura which sent a tingle through Spitfires body. Together, they lifted her onto a second bed where they began to attach various monitors to her body.

Despite all the turmoil of the day, Spitfire couldn’t help but notice the music that the nurses had playing on a radio in the corner. She could hear a familiar baritone stallion singing a melancholy song. She couldn’t remember his name (a fact she blamed on the residual morphine in her system), but she vividly recalled her and Rapid, sitting on their father’s lap when they were little and listening to the stallions albums when he was home.

“This is a really great song,” she commented with a nervous smile.

“We try our best, hun,” one of the nurses answered.

A pony Spitfire couldn’t see entered the room and greeted the nurses. When he finally reached Spitfire’s vision she saw he was a light tan unicorn with a dark mane. “Spitfire, I presume?”

“Guilty as charged,” she answered.

“Good to meet you, I’m Dr. Haze, I’ll be your anesthesiologist this evening. Don’t worry, you won’t remember a thing about me when you wake up,” he winked playfully, “I forgive you in advance.”

“Heh, thanks Doc,” Spitfire laughed nervously.

“So, Spitfire,” he began as he prepared a needle full of a clear liquid. “Do you drink?”

“Socially,” she answered.

“Ever had a whiskey manehattan?” he asked.

“Uh, no. My best friend likes them, though.”

“Well then,” he said, inserting the needle into her IV and slowly injecting it “this is one manehattan...”

Spitfire felt a warm sensation fill her body, starting from her left foreleg.

“This is two,” he continued.

Spitfire started giggling like a filly.

“Three,”

Spitfire bit her tongue to quell her giggles as the ceiling began to shift fluidly before her eyes.

“Four manehattans,” Haze said, smirking at her reaction.

“You can, like, totally stop for a minute,” Spitfire slurred, “this shit is awesome...”

“Somepony’s feeling it,” a nurse laughed.

“Sweet dreams!” Haze said.

Darkness claimed Spitfire’s mind.


Rapidfire was vaguely aware of passing by other ponies in the halls and being ushered into a waiting room just off of the surgical suites. Like every room in the hospital, the walls had been painted a neutral tan color. The floor was assembled from large white tiling set into charcoal-colored grout. A pair of hibiscus plants were placed in the corners of the room both bearing blooming red flowers. The plants flanked a couch long enough to seat four ponies. Its soft green cushions offered a fair level of comfort for the countless ponies that were forced to wait in the room for news of their loved ones.

Rapid sat on the corner of the couch, his eyes fixed to the cold tile floor. The wall clock ticked the seconds away like a metronome, though Rapid barely noticed. His mind replayed Spitfire’s request over and over again. He couldn’t believe things had come to this, all because of one mistake.

The hinges of the door creaked open catching Rapidfire’s attention. He looked up in time to see Soarin’ casually walk through the door. The pale blue stallion looked tired and dirty with soot marks marring his normally pristine coat and feathers. He gave Rapid a weary smile as he walked over and slumped heavily on the couch. For a moment there was silence between the two stallions, then Soarin’ turned to Rapid.

“Hey,” Soarin’ said, his voice quiet. “What’s going on? Where’s Spitfire?”

Rapid gulped, a hoof anxiously rubbing through his mane. “She’s... she’s in surgery.”

Soarin’s eyes went wide and his jaw dropped, his body twisted so he was fully facing Rapidfire.. “What about Rainbow?”

Rapid shook his head. “I don’t know...”

“Sweet Celestia,” Soarin’ breathed, “Spitfire, what happened?”

“She... she tore her wing,” Rapid answered, his heart sinking and an anguished look pulling at his features.

“Oh no... is she... I mean, will she... you know?”

Rapid’s jaw trembled, he couldn't bring himself to speak.

“Hey, hey come here,” Soarin’ said in a gentle tone, his hoof resting on Rapidfire’s shoulder.

Rapid’s tears soaked into Soarin’s chest as the smaller stallion hugged him. Soarin’ wrapped his wings and forelegs around Rapid, his left hoof gently patting Rapid’s back.

“It’s gonna be alright, buddy. It’s gonna be alright,” Soarin’ assured Rapid, even though he didn't fully believe his own words. Still, he repeated the words like a mantra, if nothing else to comfort the frightened stallion in his hooves. “It’s okay, it’s okay...”

Author's Note:

Sorry about the lateness guys. It's been a long week.