• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,481 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,481

Fleetfoot

It wasn't terribly often that Fleetfoot willingly decided to spend an entire day either in bed or on the couch. Then again, it wasn't terribly often that she was sore enough to need the day off in the first place. It didn’t help she wasn’t particularly a fan of slowing down either.

Gritting her teeth and suppressing a groan, Fleetfoot reached behind her head to adjust the ice pack on her neck. She winced from the simple motion, her aching muscles making any action exponentially more challenging than it had any right to be. She sighed wearily once she got the ice pack into a better spot.

Fleetfoot stared vacantly at her ceiling for a while, her mind on her latest failed attempt at the sonic rainboom. The rainboom was, coincidentally, also the cause of her current discomfort. Or at least the week of failed training she had done during her trip to Neighagra Falls was the cause.

“What am I doing wrong?” Fleetfoot moaned to her ceiling. “I mean, seriously, what the heck am I missing here?”

With a grunt, Fleetfoot rubbed her eyes with a hoof. “Spend a whole week training, and what do I get to show for it? A sore neck and a bunch of bruises! Well la-de-da to that mess!”

Fleetfoot blew a wayward strand of mane out of her eyes and resumed her staring contest with her apartment ceiling.

“What is it?” she asked again. “What’s the trick I’m missing?”

Fleetfoot sucked in a deep breath and quickly huffed it back out. Her eyes drifted to a beat up old teddy bear sitting on the couch beside her, it’s brown fur matted and dirty from years of wear and tear, the once lustrous black beads that made up its eyes now dull and greyed.

Around its neck was a checkered ribbon that was frayed along the edges. The loosest or most unruly fibers had been trimmed back over the years, leaving a relatively even edge to the ribbon. At one point it had had a knitted blue and gold Wonderbolt’s uniform, but that had been misplaced years earlier.

Most ponies would have thrown the ragged looking toy away years ago. The teddy bear was, after all, a toy for a little filly. Fleetfoot, however, wouldn’t part with that bear for all the bits in Equestria.

The teddy bear had been a gift from her grandmother when Fleetfoot was very young. It had many names bestowed on it over the years: Winnie, Fuzzy, Tecumseh, Krang – Lord of the southern couch cushion, and a few others. Fleetfoot had a habit of changing his name whenever she got bored with the old one. Most of the time the bear didn’t have a name, because it didn’t need one for Fleetfoot.

Fleetfoot’s gaze lingered on the old teddy bear for a while, her mind drifting to memories of her youth in Cloudsdale visiting her grandparent’s home. She remembered waking to the sound of her grandmother’s coffee pot and, with her faithful teddy held in her wing, Fleetfoot would trot into the kitchen where her Grandma would pour two cups of coffee.

Fleetfoot’s cup was always the same: a simple porcelain mug with the Wonderbolts logo emblazoned on the side. Her grandmother favored a small porcelain cup with a simple floral design. Fleetfoot distinctly remembered that the handle of the cup had been formed into the shape of two interlocked hearts.

Her grandma would always retrieve a jar of honey she kept in one of the cabinets along with the milk from her refrigerator. She would watch with a quiet smile as Fleetfoot filled her coffee with enough milk and honey to drive away the bitterness. When she was ready, Fleetfoot would take her cup and turn to her grandma, the old mare would smile and gently usher Fleetfoot out to the porch with her wing.

Together they would sit on a cloud bench and watch the sun rise over Equestria. Sometimes they would talk; Fleetfoot would ask her grandma about the old days or what she used to do before she retired. In turn her grandma would ask Fleetfoot about her dreams, her schooling, and her friends. Even back then, Fleetfoot knew she wanted to be a Wonderbolt.

Frowning, she reached out and wrapped her foreleg around the teddy bear. She held it above her and stared at it for a while. She had achieved her dream far earlier in her life than she ever thought possible, however that lead to an unforeseeable consequence. Fleetfoot now felt stagnant in her life, and that was something she simply couldn’t tolerate for long.

The routines of being a Wonderbolt had lost their charm over the years, much like her interest in the standard tricks they performed for the endless masses. Similarly, meeting celebrities, politicians, and the nobles had grown just as old. Nobility in particular had earned Fleetfoot’s immediate distaste.

For a while, Fleetfoot had drifted through the days, unsure of the next goal in her life. She certainly didn’t want to retire and start a family, at least not anytime soon, and she certainly didn’t want Spitfire’s job. She didn’t have the right disposition for command, and she was the first to admit it.

Then a routine Best Young Flyers Competition became anything but routine when a young weather manager from a backwater town achieved a sonic rainboom. Not only had this filly achieved the impossible, but also she had done it while successfully rescuing three Wonderbolts and a civilian from a deadly free fall.

Fleetfoot decided then and there, if a no-name filly from Ponyville could do a sonic rainboom, so could she. It was the goal she had been searching for since she became a Wonderbolt, it was the only challenge left for a mare like her. Fleetfoot sighed and hugged the teddy bear to her chest.

For what seemed like the hundredth time, she replayed her latest rainboom attempt in her mind. After days of practice runs she thought she had finally figured out the trick. She could have sworn she felt the barrier starting to give, at least until it snapped back on her and sent her careening into the river.

The other Wonderbolts had long since given up on their own attempts to recreate the rainboom. Fleetfoot understood why, especially after Wave Chill broke his wing. Still, the risks were worth the reward in Fleetfoot’s mind.

Closing her eyes, Fleetfoot gave the teddy bear a weary nuzzle. “I just… I just wish I knew what I was missing.”

Fleetfoot was startled from her reverie by a firm knock on her apartment door. Twisting her neck, she stared incredulously at the door. She didn’t recall inviting anypony over, and she certainly wasn’t expecting a delivery, so Fleetfoot shook her head and relaxed, intent to ignore the unknown caller.

The pony on the other side of the door didn’t get that memo, much to Fleetfoot’s annoyance as they kept knocking.

“Fleetfoot, you home?” a familiar voice called from the hall.

Fleetfoot’s ears perked up at the sound. With some difficulty, she managed to pull herself up to a sitting position and face the door again.

“Spitfire? That you?” she asked loud enough to be heard in the hall.

“No, it’s your mother,” Spitfire shot back.

Fleetfoot could almost hear the Captain’s eyes rolling. Setting her teddy bear back on the couch, she groaned as she slipped off the couch and back to her hooves.

“I’m coming, I’m coming, don’t get your feathers in a twist,”

“No promises.”

Fleetfoot snorted in amusement as she moved to the door. Halfway there she paused for a light stretch the act yielded a bit of relief from the persistent ache. With a satisfied sigh, Fleetfoot walked up to the door and pulled it open.

Spitfire smiled as the door opened. “Heya, Fleet, how’s it going?”

“Eh,” Fleetfoot shrugged, too sore to offer the normal platitudes. “How about you?”

“It’s been pretty good, actually.” Spitfire answered.

“Well, that makes one of us, how’s the wing? Can you fly yet or do you know when you’ll be back?”

“It’s pretty good,” Spitfire answered, her right wing flexing a little bit. “I flew here actually, it’s not so bad as long as I don’t push too hard.”

“That’s great, boss!” Fleetfoot exclaimed, genuinely happy for Spitfire. She couldn’t imagine what it was like to be grounded for more than a few hours. “So, uh, what-what brings you by today?”

Spitfire’s casual smile faded slightly from the question. “Well, Fleet, there was, um, something I wanted to talk to you about.”

Fleetfoot rubbed her chin as she considered what Spitfire could want to talk about. “Is this about the rainboom thing that Soarin’ asked me to work on? Cause I’ve got a few ideas, I just haven’t really had the time to—”

“Fleet, hey, easy girl,” Spitfire interrupted her, “it’s not really about that.”

“Oh, uh, okay. So, what’s up?” Fleetfoot asked, feeling more confused than before.

“Well, Fleetfoot, um… “ Spitfire pawed anxiously at the carpet in the hall. “Okay, look there’s no easy way to say this—“

“You’re not about to confess a secret crush on me, are you? Cause while I’m flattered, I don’t swing that way, Boss,” Fleetfoot said with a smirk.

“Oh, ha-ha-ha smartass,” Spitfire said with a roll of her eyes. “It is about Rainbow Dash though.”

“Really?” Fleetfoot’s eyes lit up, excitedly. For the briefest of moments she dared to believe the rainboom was finally within reach.

Spitfire looked to her left and motioned for someone to come over. Fleetfoot furrowed her eyebrows together in confusion, her head tilting ever so slightly to the left. Her questions were answered as a sky-blue mare with a familiar rainbow mane rounded the corner.

“Hi,” Rainbow Dash said, a sheepish smile on her lips.

“Are… are you here to teach us the rainboom?” Fleetfoot asked hopefully.

“Um, no?” Rainbow answered, her eyes shifting from Spitfire to Fleetfoot, and back again.

“… What do you mean ‘no’? I mean what else would bring you around with The Boss?”

“Fleetfoot, Rainbow and I have been dating f—“

“You what?!” Fleetfoot shouted as she recoiled from Spitfire and Rainbow, her wings flaring from the shock of the news.

“Fleetfoot—“

“Oh, no-no-no, don’t you ‘Fleetfoot’ me like this is some tiny damn deal! I mean, seriously Spitfire, what in the name of Celestia’s great flaming ass is wrong with you?”

“You check your tone, Sergeant!” Spitfire barked, her wings slowly spreading as her ire grew.

“Sorry ma’am, but you were relieved of duty when you messed your wing up, so I think this once I’ll speak my damn mind!” Fleetfoot shouted. “I mean, you wanna bump uglies with another mare, fine, have fun. But you can’t shack up with her!” Fleetfoot shouted, pointing a hoof at Rainbow.

“Fleetfoot, I’m warning you,” Spitfire growled.

“Seriously boss, what do you think you’re doing? For that matter, what in the world do you think you’re doing?!” Fleetfoot asked Rainbow.

“Wait, me? What did I do?” Rainbow asked, her own wings flaring out defensively.

“You didn’t use your brain, that’s for sure!” Fleetfoot said with a stomp of her hoof. “I mean really, how do you two see this ending?”

“Well, oh soothsayer, since you clearly seem to know why don’t you enlighten us!” Spitfire challenged, her lips curled into a snarl.

“If Arcus doesn’t fire you, and the media doesn’t rip you apart, what do you think Celestia’s gonna do when she finds out you’re playing tonsil hockey with an Element of Harmony? I mean, she’s gonna think we’re taking advantage of her and put us all out of a job for complicity!” Fleetfoot turned to Rainbow Dash. “And as for you! What kind of moron sleeps with the manager of the job you wanna get hired in?! I mean, did you stop for one second to think about how bad this looks?”

“Who says we’re sleeping together?” Rainbow shouted, her cheeks burning crimson. Not for the first time in her life, she was very glad she wasn’t Applejack.

“I don’t give a damn if you are or you aren’t, but the media will talk! Then you’re the floozy who’s sleeping her way to the top!”

A deafening silence settled between the three mares as Fleetfoot’s words sank in. A slow building horror grew in Fleetfoot’s gut as she realized what she just said. Spitfire’s face contorted in fury, her right eye twitching in a way Fleetfoot had never seen before. Rainbow’s face fell into a mask of neutrality, cold fury dancing in her eyes.

“You know how they say you should never meet your heroes? Now I know why.” Rainbow spat.

Rainbow glared at Fleetfoot a moment longer, her eyes full of hurt and anger, then she turned and galloped down the hall. After a moment, she disappeared around the corner leaving Spitfire alone with Fleetfoot. Spitfire watched her as she left, waiting until she was sure that Rainbow was out of earshot. The next thing Fleetfoot realized, the back of Spitfire’s hoof struck her in the jaw, sending her reeling backward.

Spitfire followed Fleetfoot into her apartment, kicking the door closed behind her. Before Fleetfoot could recover, an even stronger blow sent her stumbling into her coffee table. Fleetfoot crumpled to the floor, instinctively curling herself into a defensive posture. Spitfire circled her like a hungry predator.

“Get. Up,” she ordered.

“I’m sorry!” Fleetfoot mewled, “I’m sorry!”

“On your hooves, Sergeant!” Spitfire shouted.

Slowly, Fleetfoot forced herself up into a sitting position. Her cheek burned and she could taste blood in her mouth. Her ears folded back and she didn’t dare look Spitfire in the eye.

“Look at me,” Spitfire commanded.

Fleetfoot winced, her eyes remaining focused on the floor.

“Look. At. Me!” Spitfire commanded again.

This time, Fleetfoot looked up, her eyes meeting with Spitfire's.

Spitfire forced herself to take a calming breath before she spoke. “Here’s what’s gonna happen next, Fleetfoot. You are going to stay here until you’ve calmed down. Then in a day or two you’re going to beg Rainbow for her forgiveness, and if you’re lucky she will forgive you. And then, if you are very lucky, I might forgive you too. Are we clear?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Fleetfoot whispered.

“Speak up!” Spitfire ordered.

“Yes ma’am!” Fleetfoot shouted.

“Good,” Spitfire said turning to leave, “put some ice on your face. We’ll talk about this later.”

Fleetfoot kept her mouth shut, flinching when the door slammed shut behind Spitfire. She let out a trembling breath as she climbed back onto the couch. She pulled her teddy bear up against her chest and curled up against the cool cushions. She whimpered quietly, wishing she could go back in time just a few minutes.

Outside, Spitfire leaned heavily against the wall, her trembling hoof covering her mouth. The meeting had gone worse than she had ever imagined it would, and Rainbow had run off in a rage. Furthermore, she had attacked Fleetfoot in a blind rage, just like Arcus predicted.

Part of her felt justified, after all, Fleetfoot had crossed more than a few lines. Yet still, harsh words alone didn’t merit physical assault. For that she had lost whatever high ground she had before. She made a note to apologize to Fleetfoot, at least when she was calm enough to speak to Fleetfoot without seeing red.

Shaking her head to clear the thoughts, Spitfire quickly exited the apartment and looked around for Rainbow. Not seeing her anywhere, Spitfire felt her heart sink. Not knowing what else to do, Spitfire leapt into the sky and glided back to her hotel.

She managed to stay aloft for the majority of the distance, though a slow building ache in her wing forced her to land a block early. Spitfire allowed a small smile, little by little she was getting better. She looked forward to flying with Rainbow instead of being carried by her.

Trotting up to her hotel room, Spitfire fumbled with her key for a moment before she pushed open the door. Entering the suite, she could hear the quiet sniffles of an unseen pony. Spitfire quickly closed the door and moved further into the suite.

“Rainbow?” she called, “Rainbow, is that you?”

“Yeah, yeah I’m here,” Rainbow answered, her voice echoing out of the bedroom.

Trotting over, Spitfire found Rainbow sitting on the bed, her saddlebag sitting beside her and her cheeks streaked from recent tears. Spitfire’s heart ached from the sight and a frown pulling at her lips. With a deliberate slowness, Spitfire climbed onto the bed and sat beside Rainbow. Her wing gently wrapped around the younger mare’s shoulders. For a while, they simply sat together in silence, each reflecting over the days events.

“I’m sorry,” Spitfire apologized, her voice quiet.

“It’s not your fault,” Rainbow said.

Spitfire scoffed a bit. “Yeah, it really is, but thanks anyway.”

“Spitfire?”

“Yeah, Rainbow?”

“Is… is being a rainboom teacher all I’m gonna be to the Wonderbolts? Is that all there is to me?”

“Not at all, why would you think that?” Spitfire asked.

“What Fleetfoot said, about me being with you to teach the rainboom.”

“Fleetfoot doesn’t know what she’s talking about, Dash,” Spitfire insisted.

Rainbow shrugged, her sadness plain on her face as she stared down at the floor. Spitfire slowly reached over and cupped Rainbow’s cheek in her hoof. Once the weather manager was looking her in the eye, Spitfire spoke.

“Rainbow, let me tell you a story. After the Best Young Flyers Competition, everypony on the Wonderbolts tried to do a rainboom, and I mean everypony: the active squad, the inactive squad, and even the support staff. Everypony gave it at least a try or two, including me.

“But none of us could ever get close, Rainbow. No matter how hard we tried or how much we practiced, we just couldn’t do it. And when we realized that, it was a really bitter pill for a lot of us to swallow. You may have noticed, but we can be a pretty egotistical group.”

The comment earned the smallest of smirks from Rainbow.

Spitfire’s foreleg hooked around Rainbow’s waist and pulled her close. “We did talk about getting you to train us, that is true. But those plans never really went anywhere. And you wanna know a secret?”

Spitfire waited until she saw Rainbow nod affirmatively.

“After you took me through that rainboom,” Spitfire’s words trailed off as she momentarily lost herself in the memory of that experience. “I realized that you, Rainbow Dash, are unique. Your acceleration is way higher than Fleetfoot’s, your top speed obliterates Soarin’s, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you could outlast Rapid in distance flying. Simply put Rainbow: I don’t think there’s a pegasus alive today that can do the rainboom. There’s just you.”

Rainbow’s jaw trembled as she tried to keep control of her emotions. Spitfire noticed the tears welling in her eyes and quickly pulled her into a tight hug.

“You’re gonna be a phenomenal Wonderbolt one day, Rainbow, and I swear I’ll be there to help you every step of the way.” Spitfire pressed her lips to Rainbow’s forehead. She felt a shudder go through the younger mare as she held her close.

“Can… can I tell you a secret?” Rainbow asked.

“Always,” Spitfire answered.

“When I was growing up I was always afraid of getting into serious relationships. I mean, I had a bunch of ponies I hung out with, but the only one I ever really got close to was my friend Fluttershy. And… and I never knew quite why until a couple years ago when Nightmare Moon returned. That’s when I found out I was the bearer of Loyalty.”

Spitfire nodded, her hoof gently rubbing Rainbow’s back as she listened.

“I’m not smart like Twilight,” Rainbow continued, “I don’t know if we are our elements or if we’re just compatible with them, or whatever. I just know that whenever I let someone get close, I can’t just walk away from them. Like, there was that griffon I was friends with when I was a filly, Gilda.

“She and I got real close and even when I saw the bad things she did I stuck with her, because she was my friend and that’s what friends do. Then she came to Ponyville a couple years ago and started going after my other friends, trying to push them away. I had to tell her off and cut ties, you know? And to this day, even though I know I did the right thing, it still hurts.” Rainbow explained, her hoof rubbing her chest.

Spitfire nodded again, her forelegs holding Rainbow closer still.

“I guess that’s part of the reason I didn’t tell my friends back home that I’m a fillyfooler either. I mean, I’m just afraid of what they might think of me then, and I don’t wanna lose their friendship, not over that. Not over anything.

“And now I’m here, and we’re in this, and I don’t wanna hurt the Wonderbolts. I mean I just… just…” Rainbow groaned and buried her head into Spitfire’s chest. “I’m getting all these feelings, and… and I’m so scared of what’s gonna happen if this doesn’t work out.”

Rainbow exhaled a shaky breath, a fresh round of tears streaking down her cheeks. “I… I think I’m falling in love with you, Spitfire. And… and it scares me. It scares me so bad that I want to fly to the ends of the earth and hide from it. I just… I just don’t know what to do.”

Spitfire felt her heart fluttering wildly in her chest. Gently reaching under Rainbow’s chin, she lifted the weather manager’s head so their eyes could meet again.

“I… I don’t know what to say, Rainbow. I don’t know how this ends, or how either of us will act if it does. But I don’t want this to end either. I want there to be an us tomorrow, and the next day, and the next week, and the next month, and the month after that. Because… because I think I’m falling in love with you too.” Spitfire admitted, her own eyes fogging up with tears.

Rainbow Dash let out a soft laugh, rubbing her eyes on her fetlock. Spitfire smiled warmly when Rainbow’s eyes again met hers. Together they leaned forward, their lips meeting in a kiss full of passion, warmth, and love.