• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 22,480 Views, 3,140 Comments

Fire & Rain - Ruirik



Sometimes it takes the darkest moments of our lives to find the brightest

  • ...
49
 3,140
 22,480

Rainbow the Boss Lady (Part Deux)

Rainbow was in an unusually good mood for a Friday morning. She had gotten a fantastic night of sleep, there had been no line at the bagel shop she stopped at for breakfast on her way to work, and the flight to her office had been essentially perfect.

She should have known something was about to go wrong.

She had barely started reading the weekend weather schedule when Headwind, Dewdrop, and Flash Cloud piled into her office. Headwind and Flash Cloud were bickering over some issue that Rainbow knew would probably be her problem in the immediate future, while Dewdrop trailed close behind them with a look of abject boredom plastered on her face.

Dad warned me about days like this,’ Rainbow lamented as she suppressed a sigh and tried to focus on what the two stallions were arguing about

“If it’s just bodies you’re concerned about,” Flash Cloud started, “then you can always hire more Pegasi. It’s not like cloud pushing is hard to teach.”

“That’s not the point,” Headwind retorted. “The point is that you’ve shanghaied half of my crew managers for your training program!”

“Not my fault they were born with lightning resistance.” Feeling confident his point had been made, Flash gave Headwind a smug grin.

“How in the hay am I supposed to replace twenty-two crew managers and forty-eight cloud pushers in any sort of timely manner? We had our hooves full enough, and that was before most of our clouds got wrecked Wednesday night,” Headwind countered, his hoof running though his chestnut-colored mane.

Rainbow bit her tongue and did her best to keep a neutral expression. Yesterday had been nothing but awkward after she had gotten to work and realized that her rainboom had thrown all of Wednesday’s work over a good portion of the city. She was very glad that either nopony on the weather team had realized the rainboom had caused the problems, or that they all had the good sense not to ask her about it.

“My rain teams will cover for you when they can,” Dewdrop said softly.

“In fairness, Dewdrop,” Flash interjected, “your rain ponies are spread pretty thin already.”

“I know, but they can still help if Headwind’s got a team in their sectors,” she answered.

“Or Headwind could just work harder,” Flash teased.

“Alright, alright, let’s settle down and go over today’s plan,” Rainbow cut in, deciding to move things along before the argument could get heated. She waited for all three of them to be seated before she began. “Okay, so first thing’s first: Flash, have you got all the lightning wranglers assembled?”

“Yeah. All sixty candidates will be waiting for us on the east side of town where we receive all the weather shipments. I’ve broken them into teams of four with one of my current lightning wranglers acting as a team supervisor for the duration of their training.”

“Awesome.” Rainbow allowed herself a small smile. “You and I will head over there next.”

“Sounds good, boss lady.” Flash replied with a salute.

“Cool.” Rainbow quickly glanced down at the schedule on her desk. There was a lot to get done before quitting time, and Rainbow had no intention of being late to meet Spitfire after work.

“Alright,” Rainbow started, looking at Headwind and Dewdrop, “Dewdrop, the farms north of the city are scheduled for three hours of rain. We also need to get a light shower over the midtown parks sometime this afternoon. Then I need you to start planning for next month’s storm.”

“I’ll make sure it’s ready,” the saffron-colored mare answered with a polite smile.

“Good.” She turned her attention to the light-green stallion. “Headwind, how many clouds are we missing since Wednesday night’s… um…” she paused, catching herself before she said ‘rainboom’, “…thingy?”

“We’re down roughly twenty-three percent,” he answered plainly. “If you add clouds that were damaged and need to be reshaped and replaced, then the number gets closer to thirty percent.”

“Okay.” Rainbow frowned. She had never really given much thought to quite how much her rainboom was capable of affecting her surroundings. “Well, there isn’t much we can do about that right now.” She frowned and rubbed her chin thoughtfully.

“Coulda been worse,” Flash offered. “Coulda been raining.”

Dewdrop rolled her eyes. “You could use the shower, Flash,” she lightly chided him.

“Hey, I can’t help it. It’s not easy to keep a hundred pounds of rippling stallion contained!”

Dewdrop smacked herself in the face with her hoof and groaned loudly. Headwind stifled a giggle and hoofbumped Flash Cloud.

“How in the world are you married?” Dewdrop asked despondently.

“Okay, moving on!” Rainbow interjected quickly. She gave the three managers a moment to refocus on her before she looked to Headwind. “Headwind, I need you to do what you can with the clouds we’ve got left. We’re scheduled for about fifty percent coverage all day.”

“No promises on keeping to that plan with a quarter of my team transferred to the lightning team,” Headwind complained.

“For the last time,” Rainbow started, doing her best to keep her voice neutral, “there needed to be a big increase in the number of lightning wranglers. The rain teams can’t do it for safety reasons; you can train new cloud pushers much faster than we can train new lightning wranglers. It was the best solution.”

“Whatever you say,” Headwind replied sarcastically.

Rainbow bit back a growl and forced herself to take a calming breath. “As I was saying,” she continued after a moment, “fifty percent coverage for today. I’ll be busy training the new lightning wranglers, so when you’re done with that, I need you to place the order for next month’s storm. If you send the order to the weather factory today, then we should get the shipment in the next two or three weeks.”

“That’s no fun,” Headwind groaned, kicking his hoof at the floor.

“That’s why it’s called work,” Flash said with a smirk as he nudged Headwind in the ribs.

“Go suck a rock.” Headwind rolled his eyes.

“Hm,” Flash Cloud put a hoof to his chin, feigning a look of deep contemplation, “well, they are very high in minerals.”

“The orders need to be signed by a senior manager,” Rainbow reminded Headwind while ignoring Flash. “Flash and I won’t have the time, and there’s almost no way Dewdrop will be finished with her work early enough to do it either. Sorry but you’re the only one who’s gonna have the time to get the paperwork in by the end of the day.”

“I’ll take care of it,” Headwind relented with a sigh.

“Great, thanks!” Rainbow smiled happily. In truth, she probably could have done it on her own, but then she definitely wouldn’t be on time for her date, and that simply wasn’t an option.

“Do we know how many cloud batches we’ll need?” Headwind asked.

Rainbow shuffled through the papers on her desk for a moment.“Well, according to the notes Downburst left me, for a citywide storm, he usually ordered five containers of thunderheads, and thirty five containers rain clouds,” Rainbow answered as she read the normal manager’s notes. “I’m assuming that’s enough to cover the whole city.”

“It depends,” Dewdrop interrupted. “Our coverage tends to be a bit thin on the outskirts of the city, and if it’s not a great batch of clouds, things might get a bit spotty.”

“Five full shipments of thunderheads is more than enough to power the storm engine though,” Flash added. “We usually have a few leftover after that too.”

“Okay, then we’ll stick to the five shipments of thunderheads, and order an extra dozen rain clouds. That should leave the rain team with enough clouds to cover the whole city and have a few to spare.”

“Sounds good to me!” Dewdrop said with a grin.

“Great!” Rainbow smiled happily. “Any questions before we all get to work?”

“Nope!” Dewdrop answered.

“I’m good,” Headwind said.

“Nah,” Flash answered with a shrug.

“Good.” Rainbow stood and started for the door. “Dewdrop, Headwind, I’ll see you two Monday. Flash, let’s go teach some lightning wrangling!”

“Aww yeah!” The light grey stallion cheered.

The four Pegasi quickly made their way out of the office. Dewdrop and Headwind each flew off in opposite directions, while Flash Cloud led Rainbow Dash to the weather receiving area.

All the cities and towns in Equestria that had a weather team also allotted space on the periphery where Pegasi from the weather factory could safely store clouds for upcoming weather events and sort the shipments for distribution. Much of the organizational process had been adapted from the Royal Mail Service, which also relied heavily on Pegasi to run at peak efficiency.

Even the comparatively tiny weather team in Ponyville had a staging area where all the clouds were kept until they were needed. When Rainbow had been promoted to Weather Manager, one of her first tasks had been to relocate the entire area to a position closer to Sweet Apple Acres. Her reasoning had been that it was more efficient to keep the rain clouds closer to the farms where they were needed most often. So far, it had worked out very well for everypony.

Dash didn’t have the experience with the Manehattan teams to know if their staging area was set up as efficiently as is could be. Even if it wasn’t, about all she could do was leave a note for Downburst that recommended changes, and possibly get Dewdrop, Headwind, and Flash Cloud to put some pressure on him as well.

Rainbow put those thoughts out of her mind once the staging area came into view. Flash Cloud’s current lightning wranglers had taken some of the stored clouds and put them together to form a large platform cloud that all the recruited cloud pushers could stand on while they waited. They had also, per his instructions, left a live thunderhead at one edge of the platform where several lightning wranglers were keeping curious Pegasi well away from it.

Rainbow grinned excitedly as she flew past Flash Cloud, doing an aileron roll into a loop over the assembled crowd before she landed between them and the thunderhead.

“Alright everypony,” she shouted loud enough to draw their attention, “gather ‘round and listen up!”

She grinned as the crowd slowly assembled around her, the senior lightning wranglers hovering above them and wearing the yellow vests of their team. Rainbow hopped back into the sky and hovered ten feet above the cloud platform so everypony could see her.

“For those of you who don’t know,” she began, “I’m Rainbow Dash, and I’m the manager around here for the next six weeks. You’re all here because of your natural lightning resistance and Manehattan’s severe lack of professional lightning wranglers. I have no idea how this situation managed to happen, but I do know this. It. Is. NOT. Okay,” she stated firmly, clopping her hooves together.

She pointed to the thunderhead behind her. “That is an active thunderhead,” she began. “Notice the dark grey color that differentiates it from normal rain clouds? You should also be able tofeel the static in your feathers and smell the ozone in the air.” Rainbow Dash waited for a brief moment to make sure there weren’t any questions from the untested ponies. Since none of them said anything, she continued. “Thunderheads are dangerous. All of you have may have a natural resistance to lightning, but it can still cause you some pretty serious injury if you aren’t careful, so pay attention to what you are doing. And above all…” Rainbow flew over to the thunderhead, nodding to the lightning wranglers that had been acting as guards for the cloud before she motioned for them to move away.

Once they had moved to a safe distance she turned back towards the curious Pegasi that were watching her. She took a breath before she delivered a powerful buck to the cloud. There was a deafening crack behind her as a bolt of lightning exploded forth from the cloud, arcing harmlessly into the open skies. Her feathers tingled, her mane stood in stood in all directions, and she could feel the residual static making every hair on her body stand on end. She couldn’t help a manic grin; only a rainboom was more exhilarating than handling lightning.

“Respect the power of these clouds like an angry dragon,” she finished, giving the former cloud pushers time to absorb the demonstration. After a few moments she flew closer to them again and continued her presentation.

“Now, individually, each thunderhead can produce multiple lightning strikes of the scale I just demonstrated. This is important, so I’m going to say it again. Each strike carries enough voltage to kill or seriously injure anypony, even those of us who have a natural resistance to it. When networked together, they form the storm engines that power the large weather events we need to run from time to time.

“All of you have been broken into teams of four and assigned to a senior lightning wrangler who will supervise your training. These team leaders are the ones responsible for your safety, so if they tell you to do something, then you do it. If they say jump, you say how high. If they say fly, you ask which direction. And, most importantly if they say stop, you stop! Immediately!” Rainbow declared firmly.

“Lastly,” she continued, “there are a couple of rules all of you need to follow. First: Nopony should land on a primed thunderhead; there’s the very real chance that you could accidentally discharge the cloud and get yourself fried. Second: Nopony should handle a thunderhead alone. If I hear about any of you trying to be some kinda hot-shot, I will personally bust your flanks from here to Appleloosa. Am I clear?”

Rainbow paused for a breath as the assembled ponies responded. A chorus of “yes ma’am’s” could be heard rippling through the crowd.

“Good. Now everypony get into your teams. Your captains will start teaching you the basics of lightning wrangling with battery clouds. By the end of the day you will all be able to charge, discharge, and direct the energy in those clouds at will. After that, you’ll each take a battery cloud home for the weekend to practice, and on Monday we’ll start working on small lightning clouds. In the next three weeks you’ll all be ready to work with a full scale storm engine,” she finished, waving her hoof to the crowd.

For the remainder of the day, Rainbow bounced from group to group, usually keeping quiet and observing how the older lightning wranglers were handling the education of their new teammates. Occasionally, she stepped in to answer bigger questions and on a few occasions she had to shift some of the groups around to deal with personality clashes, but overall, she couldn’t help but feel optimistic with how things were looking.

‘I guess all of Twilight’s yapping about lists and plans is rubbing off on me. Never thought that was going to happen.’ She snickered to herself.

Near five o’clock, when things were just winding down, Dash spotted Headwind and Dewdrop flying over to her. She smiled to them as they landed.

“Having fun over here?” Dewdrop asked, looking nervously at the parked thunderheads not too far away.

“Yeah, it’s pretty cool,” Rainbow answered with a smile. “You two all done for the weekend?”

“Yup, we got all the weather set up and the weekend team should have everything under control,” Headwind answered.

“Awesome,” Rainbow said. “Did you send the weather order out to Cloudsdale?”

“Erm…no,” Headwind admitted with a faint blush.

“Do that before you head home, please,” Rainbow stated, earning an irritated look from the stallion.

“Fine.” He sighed before taking off in the direction of the main office where the necessary paperwork was located.

Rainbow let out a weary sigh. ‘It’ll all be done soon, then I can hang out with Spitfire,’ she reminded herself.

Headwind made good time back to the office. What was normally a twenty minute flight he managed to do in just over fifteen. Quickly, he retrieved the necessary orders from the manager’s desk and set to work filling them out. It wasn’t that he had a problem with actually doing the work himself, it was just that he had plans for the night with his own family that he didn’t want to miss.

“Stupid lightning wranglers,” he grumbled quietly as he blitzed through the forms. “Stupid storm engine.”

With all the haste he could manage, he checked the boxes for thunderheads and rainclouds and scribbled down the number they needed. After he signed the form he folded it and slipped it into a prepaid envelope. “At least the envelopes are all prepaid and have the address printed on them,” Headwind mumbled, mashing the package shut.. He tucked the envelope into his saddlebag and took flight again. There was a post office on his way home where he could send off the order with minimal inconvenience.

He never noticed the mistake he had made.