• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 14,004 Views, 2,430 Comments

Jericho - Crushric



If you came to hear a story, I'm sorry to disappoint. I suspect this'll just end up as one big confession, really. Still, with enough wit, some Prussian ingenuity, a droll sense of humor, and wanton murder, I might just be able to survive.

  • ...
70
 2,430
 14,004

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 41 — Death of a Teuton

Chapter 41: Death of a Teuton

“When it rains, it pours.”

Cold.

Like someone has just spent an inordinate amount of time stuffing my throat and asshole full of ice. My hooves all feel like they’d been thrown into buckets of liquid nitrogen. I try to move. Nothing happens. Pressure on my ankles and wrists. Am I in the crucified position?

Shit, I can’t even see. It takes effort to open my eyes, and even then they hurt. Sore. No doubt red. Infection? Drugs? But the vision’s so hazy. A frigid, off-white surgical blankness. I think, trying to figure out where I am, how I got here. But the haze extends into my brain. Incorporeal. So quiet, too. You’d think I’d be able to hear my heartbeat, but no such luck.

Am I alive? Am I dead?

It takes minutes for my senses to acclimate themselves better. Maybe seconds. Not that I can really tell. My back is at least warm, against softness. A bed? I try to move again, but again I am restrained. Feels like leather pressure. Straps?

I think I’ve pissed myself at some point; my crotch is wet, but as icy as everything else.

I blink a lot. Every eyeball flicker results in pain. Only cure is to hold them still and stare blankly ahead. At the ceiling? Yes, ceiling. I am on my back, which would make sense, seeing as I believe I am on a bed. Don’t know of any vertical beds. Eyes still hurt.

Wait. Eyes. Plural. I have two eyes again! And they ache. Am I just acclimating to having regained my lost eye? I shift my neck. There’s a weight different on my forehead. Subtle. Something I’ve lived without for too long a time now. Horn.

Baby, Jericho’s a two-eyed unicorn once more.

Breathe deep. Lungs don’t want to comply. I make them. As I look around, I feel my vision cleaning up slightly. My arms are indeed strapped down. I try to think hard enough to telekinetically undo them.

I fail. I can’t focus hard enough; my horn sort of fizzles and sparks. And suddenly I feel exhausted. I give up trying. Sleep never comes, though I feel it should.

I lay there for seemingly all of eternity. My head isn’t right. I must be drugged. Dead? All the same. Why do I keep thinking in sentence fragments?

Don’t know. Won’t know

Don’t know. Won’t know.

Don’t know. Won’t know.

But… there, a spark! A mare in Cards’ body. Cards? Yes, she. I know her. Irrelevant, she. But the one in her flesh, Eosphora. She spoke to me. Told me things I can’t recall. Important. I need to write this stuff down. But I seem to have forgotten my pen. And my distant body, in frustration, pisses the bed again. Typical. At least the urine’s warm.

I stop trying to struggle, both in mind and in body. Can’t even control bladder. Unable to hold a solid thought. Just fragments. Known ideas without context. Like sunlit quadrupeds, gyroscopes, and the basic suffering that pervades all existence. Just things I know, but I can’t recall the message Eosphora gave me. If it even was a message. Don’t even have any proof that actually happened.

Why’s the room so dark? I know I can see now. More like a forgotten morgue than a… what is this? Hospital bed? Like the scene where I woke up as Altair Penrose? Looks like it a fair deal, yes.

I lie there for so long. Just listing things I know, but can’t contextualize. The urine eventually grows as cold as the rest of my surroundings. I allow my eyes to close and find myself in the limbo between wakefulness and sleep. Slowly, the mental clouds part.

|— ☩ —|

My name was, is, and will be Jericho Amadeus Faust. It was a name that suited me. At this very moment of time, I was strapped down to a bed. And in case you’ve never been in this situation, allow me to assure you that it pretty much sucks in every conceivable way. Though it still beat being cuffed to a radiator by the Cherrypillar.

A distant thought echoed the sentiment that I wasn’t sure how long it’d been since I finally axed that harpy. A lot had happened, and some of that was in a strange mirror where time behaved funny compared to the real world. Now, here I was, my long-winded quest over with, my flesh restored, and… what now?

My chest erupted with a sudden feeling of hollowness, the kind one gets after having just missed a life-changing opportunity. Or had just royally screwed up the rest of your life.

I needed to get out of this bed and resume getting neck-deep in the fray.

But… that could wait, if only for a moment. I banished the urge to commit reckless self-endangerment. Allowing my eyes to close and emptying my head, I simply lay there, enjoying the nothingness: the calm, the lack of a pressing urge to save the day or a call to action, the sense of nothing trying to kill me at this very moment. It was a rare feeling. Hard to recall the last time I was allowed such a moment

Somepony clicked her tongue. Just like that, reality reasserted itself. It was not my fate to relax.

I lifted my head up. There in the corner, sitting on some sort of table or desk along the wall, was the mare in black, my very own blue-eyed witch. The shadows bathed her, but I still recognized the phantasmal girl with the devious half-smirk on her face. She made a gesture as if dismissing me with an odd shake of the wrist

I just stared at her. With the harsh creak of a voice not used in ages, I said, “Tell me: are you real, or have I just gone batty?”

No reply.

“Right. I’ve gone mental,” I said with a sigh. “Lovely. Or… maybe I just don’t have voices in my head. Yet. I always knew I was going to catch dementia one of these days.”

She continued to sit there. Menacingly.

“Great. I’m talking to a figments of my imagination.”

Gritting my teeth, I came to the understanding that my wrists felt off. I was strapped there, and the flesh under felt raw. On a whim, I flexed my arm, pulling at the restraints. Something gave way. It wasn’t a quick snap, nor was it easy, but with enough force, the strap broke.

There came an air of stillness as I considered the implications. My eyes went to the blue-eyed mare, and I wondered if she had a name. I was sure she’d given me it, but I couldn’t recall. In any case, she remained still as ice.

I unbuckled my other wrist with my free hoof, then went for my legs. Halfway there, I recalled that I had my horn. Last I checked, horns had a bit of range. From here, that extended to my restraints.

Sticking my tongue out and biting it, I focused hard on my lower restraints. There was a slight light, a bit of a crackle, and then a fizzle of sparks like the world’s most uninspiring ejaculation.

A wave of hot pain surged through my head as I yelped. Ave Laurentia, what was that!? I found myself panting, suddenly tired. My stomach growled for the first time in, like, ever. I wasn’t even aware it even could do that.

Alright. So. Reality check. Horn’s on the fritz, I was near starving, smelled like piss, remained partially strapped down to a bed, and was now crazy with a capital “My pet chicken shall make a fine senator!”

The blue-eyed mare continued to sit there, so I up and shouted, “Don’t you mock me, you perfidious floozy! And no, my sudden rage is no indication of innately pugnacious characteristics!”

Unnessarily complex words made me feel like a sane and rational male. I got back up resumed undoing my straps manually. As providence would have it, the door opened. Oh, and I discovered the room had a door beyond the bed.

In walked a crystal stallion in a black suit and matching cape. He was a true king of fashion, provided he were an edgy teenager or undertaker. Our eyes met, and he looked extremely tired just then. With a sigh, he said, “I always knew it would come to this.”

He reached into his suit jacket and pulled out a wooden stake.

I blinked. “Cry your pardon?”

“Unholy abomination of dead flesh given unto life, I smite thee!” the rather queer chap shouted, stake raised, as he charged.

“Everything about this sucks,” I moaned, tugging at my last restraints.

“From the depths of life, I strike at thee!” And so he did.

“No!” I yelped, awkwardly flinging myself to the end of the bed. With one leg still tied down, this had the incredibly undesirable result of literally flipping the bed end-over. It then collapsed on top of me.

Using my chin as sort sort of stubby leg in addition to my other limbs, I crawled forwards, the bed resting uncomfortably atop me. I was now a bed turtle. No one could stop me! Oh God, I think my head just brushed the wet space where I’d pissed myself. Ave Laurentia, the smell of urine—why?!

Mr. Murder at that point realized a turtle’s one weakness, and promptly flipped the bed over. My restrained leg went with it, and in moments I was hanging off the side, the straps painfully digging into my legs. Also, it should have dawned on me much earlier, but I was naked. Very much so naked.

I looked over to the blue-eyed mare aaaand of course the crazed figment of my imagination had ditched me. Because everyone, even the made-up ones, leaves me.

“Foul cretin of the underdark, I smite thee!” the guy yelled and I flailed around helplessly. He stabbed at my heart with the stake.

It sort of bruised the bone that protected the heart. He pretty much just stood there, staring at each other in a pose which could only be described as the least homoerotic male sex position ever possibly conceived. Despite all the action and doubtless spurts of adrenaline I must have received, my heart felt strangely, almost supernaturally calm.

“So, um,” he tried. “I never really thought this part through. Kinda just imagined you’d burst into a puff of ash or turn into a giant snake of some description at this point.”

We proceeded to just stare at each other, both of us pretty sure that something was supposed to happen that was not this, but neither of us really willing to take the initiative. But at length, I figured I had to go first, because why not.

“In other words, you just assumed touching my sternum with a really blunt stake would simply obliterate me?”

“More like never imagined an undead monster would have enough calcium in their diet to create a functionally strong sternum.”

I slapped the stake away. “Okay, one: you’re stupid. Two: who in the Nine Hells are you?”

“The mortician.” He looked around as if suddenly remembering he had an important thing to do at that place by the stuff. “You were dead, so I was tasked with mortician-y stuff. But then it turns out you were an undying abomination against all that is holy, as I knew I would one day encounter, and so—” he shrugged “—here we are.”

“I see…”

“Wait, hold on. Lemme try again!” And he rose the stake.

“No, no, don’t you dare—ow, goddamn you and everyone you love to the infernal rape pits in the deepest level on the secret tenth level of Hell, ahh!”

“Nope. Trying harder did not work,” he added slowly, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

I slapped the stake out of his hooves and kicked him off. The weirdo stood there, looking like he was about to be forced into an arranged marriage with a total bore of a wife. So I reached up and smacked that stupid look off his face, too.

“What is wrong with you?!” I barked. “Is nobody in this entire country even remotely sane or competent?”

I pulled myself up and finally finished unclasping myself from the last restraint. Then I promptly slid off onto the ground. Wasting no time, I bounced to my hooves, on high alert.

We locked eyes. “Don’t you dare so much as look at me, you little pencil-dicked, mouth breathing son of a syphilitic pissant whore!”

Mustering himself, all he could do was stare at me, slack-jawed. It was as though he’d never been insulted before in his life and my words had been enough to shatter his entire worldview, leaving him a broken shell of a pony about to be colonized by feral cats, pissing and shitting everywhere.

With a grunt, I looked over to where the blue-eyed mare had been moments ago. In her place were my bags. After a quick check to make sure the other bastard was still frozen in place, I went to my things and get clothed.

Next to the bag was a little bottle of cologne labeled “Eau de Jericho”. I didn’t care; I applied it. It got rid of the smell of urine, at least. The bottle came with a little note. But I tore it off and ate it. Like hell I was going to subject myself to the words of a being a little north of my understanding.

Perhaps I should have cared, but really, the only thing on my mind was the thought of a good sandwich and maybe a day at some ritzy spa. Because up to this moment, I’ve had to deal with more shite that any person should ever have to deal with. Maybe I had died, but now was some kind of zombie messiah figure. For all I cared, Celestia herself could have burst in here and declared her intent to fornicante me with her ever-growing clittorcock.

The blue-eyed mare and my guardian angel could go fuck themselves for a day.

As I finished adjusting my duster, the bandana from werekind Dust, and my hat was on correctly, I spoke aloud to the psycho pony in a cold, steely tone that could have given him frostbite. “You. Leave me be. Tell the others what happened here. And strongly imply I am in no goddam mood for their shit at this moment. Are we clear?”

He swallowed hard. “Crystal pony clear.”

My eye twitched. Slowly, I turned to face him. “On second thought, I’m going to kick your ass, and then you go do all those others things.”

|— ☩ —|

Sandwich, a hot bath, maybe a ponypedi for my newly restored hooves. Oh yeah, Snechta’s spell had fixed that, too. No more weird freaky skinwalker arm. There was probably something ominous about that, ike the idea that his arm had walked off and was now stalking me. That fit C’s modus operandi. But nothing was stopping me. No deep introspective thoughts, worldly musing, or revelations that the heavens had parted and my angel wanted me to go fetch him the newspaper so he could read the funnies.

Not even walking past my own eulogy.

I entered the main room of the mountain temple, the one with the little hot spring lake with the tree-holding island at its center. Absolutely packed with crystal ponies, all with their attention on Snechta, herself giving some sort of speech that referenced her title for me. Because nobody could be bothered to learn I had a name.

All one could do was shrug, and swagger with a tall, confident posture towards the exit. Choo choo, all aboard the train to NotGivingAShitville.

In a way, it was sort of amusing to watch the ripple effect from the first pony who recognized me spread to everyone else, even though I guarantee most of them couldn’t see me clear enough to make me out. Herd mentality at its most subtle.

Finally, it hit Snechta like a ton of undercooked meat and meat by-products. Needless to say, not a pretty sight. I slowed, innocently looked around, then made a “who, me?” gesture.

“Look away right now and resume your business,” I called out. “Or else I’ll burn down the entire crystal empire.”

Nothing.

“No, really. You think I’m exaggerating but I’m not. Have you seen what I’ve done so far? Because that’d be a walk in a bloody park and well subpar the course for me.”

Very quickly, the vast majority looked away from me, seeming to examine their extremely interesting hooves or their neighbor’s strange phallic-shaped cutie mark or whatever.

Between me and the exit stood the rest of the crowd. I just walked into it, following a straight line, and watched as people got out of my way. Now was not a time to give a damn about Snechta, Lady Erysa, or whatever the hell whacky “take over the Crystal Empire” scheme those two were doubtlessly trying to hatch up this week. Though I did wonder which of the two was the smart one, and which the idiot—as per cliché rules.

At the room’s exit, just before the staircase leading into the great antechamber, Snechta finally made it to me. I gave her a contemptuous, but overall exhausted look, and carried on.

She tried pleading. Demanded I stop. Resorting, in the end, to biting the tail of my duster and trying to pull me back. She even grabbed my leg.

I spun around quick. Before she could even stop biting my duster, I lowered myself and uppercut her straight in the ovaries. Probably hard enough to impregnate her with a hoof. She let go, and I swear to On High flew nearly head-over-tail onto the ground.

“Let me alone!” I growled.

Snechta remained silent there on the ground, tears welling in her eyes. She slowly and shakily rose to her hooves like a newborn fawn who’d just been kicked in the nuts.

Silently and with a cold lack of expression, I stepped over her and continued on my merry way

“You… you were dead,” she croaked out in a hoary whisper. “I saw you there, without pulse, without breath, without life. You were dead! A corpse!”

I offered a grunt. “Yeah, probably.” And I just jauntily strolled onwards.

|— ☩ —|

Everything edible in the Crystal Empire sucked. I mean, like, it was as if pure evil and pure blandness teamed up to create the ultimate dish, and then this food became the only edible thing available in the empire at all. And then they put that unholy abomination of food between two slices of poorly-made bread, garnished it with misery, and put a glove over a glove over your tongue when you ate it. A glove full of raw sewage.

Didn’t help that everypony was staring at me, turning a calm mid-morning into a game of how many people I had to stare down to eat the wretched sin they dared call a sandwich. I mean, where was the meat? No variety at all. Even those unreasonably sugary crystal berries would have been a better main ingredient to this sandwich.

I ended up hungrier than when I’d begun, and deeply, deeply homesick. Because the Reich knew how to prepare food. I put down at my table money for the food, and asked for the check, purely as a formality.

Then I got the check. Read it. This prompted a harsh swear followed by my plate flying across the room and shattering into a million pieces upon the wall.

Why? Well, I’ll give you a hint. The check didn’t have any numbers on it. There were words, in fact. And it ended with “P.S. Bring me the paper; I want to read the funnies”.

Author's Note:

Footnote: 0% to next level. You didn’t do shit today. And no, punching Snechta doesn’t count. She’s so pathetic that assuming you’d get rewarded for hurting her would be like expecting to score massive experience points for being mean to Cards: deeply satisfying, but ultimately a pointless endeavor.

PreviousChapters Next