• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 18,927 Views, 1,460 Comments

The Xenophile's Guide to Equestria - archonix



A chronicle of Twilight Sparkle's life with the human Lero and his herd. Based on Xenophilia.

  • ...
67
 1,460
 18,927

Unique, Chic, Magnifique!

Unique, Chic, Magnifique!

The inimitable designer, Rarity, is interviewed by Times correspondent Baskerville Slant.

Originally published in the Manehattan Times Lifestyle Section, September 9th, 1216

Catapulted to success on the back of the wedding of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, the designer Rarity is these days synonymous with style, flair and exquisitely exacting professionalism. Working from her exclusive boutique in the fashionably remote rural district of Ponyville, Rarity is no stranger to controversy in a career that saw her at loggerheads with fashion artiste, Photo Finish, and in a very public spat with none other than Prince Blueblood.

In fact she seems to court controversy and intrigue rather than avoid it. Her latest move, providing the ensemble for what everypony is calling ‘The Wedding of the Century’, an event sure to outshine even Princess Cadenza's lavish ceremony, places her square against much of Canterlot’s fashion elite.

“But of course I’m not remotely concerned about any of that, darling,” she loudly declares as she leads us into the hidden depths of the Carousel Boutique. Rarity’s lack of worry seems to be written on her every movement as she prepares tea for the two of us, casually yet gracefully stepping around the broad expanse of her workroom. “You’ll have to excuse the mess too, darling. I was rather in the zone when you arrived, otherwise I would have entertained you somewhere more fitting.”

Profuse apologies for interrupting her work are dismissed with a casual wave of her hoof as she declares she was going to take a break anyway, before launching into a flurry of activity around a half-completed costume in the centre of the room.

At first her workroom appears chaotic, a sharp and glaring contrast to the public persona that has repeatedly taken Canterlot by storm. And yet within the chaos there is a strange order, the feeling that, at any moment, the work of a lifetime would emerge, whole and complete, from the scattered swatches, tools and apparently haphazard piles of jewellery.

She calls it “organised chaos” and considers it a part of her unique image. Does it not conflict with her fastidious reputation?

“A reputation well-deserved! Not a single item is out of place, and every one is where I wish it to be. The skill of a true artiste is to know when to pull tight and when to let the fabric flow, when the cut, when to fold and when to let the dress speak for itself. You could say the discovery of such precious moments is my special talent.”

The casual way it’s said belies something deeper. By now Rarity’s journey to adulthood is a well-known story, one she seems to love retailing whenever she is able. To so easily contradict herself now seems a little gauche, doesn’t it?

“But of course not! Once, I thought my special talent was finding jewels, until I realised that nature had played a rather mean trick by making my marchio dell’anca so obvious, even if it is positively gorgeous. It’s only when I noticed that the mark of a dear friend’s daughter was similar, despite her having no talent at all for finding gems of any sort, that I realised that jewels are merely the most obvious expression of what I do. My talent is to find beauty, dear. That and the ability to extract the thing I need, exactly when I need it, whether that’s a stash of gems, a pair of scissors or the perfect inspiration for my latest fashion line.”

As she continues to work, Rarity explains that the line she’s producing for the wedding won’t even be designed for several weeks. She wishes, she says, to keep it secret and ensure that she’s not behind the latest fashion trends, or even merely following them. Leading the herd is her only goal.

“Less chance for criticism that way,” she adds, finally letting her work rest once again. Where previously a rough collection of cloth patterns lay, the definite skeleton of another masterpiece now coils elegantly about the idealised form of pony perfection. Yet Rarity refuses praise for the item, declaring it “merely adequate”.

She’s saving her best work for the wedding, a subject to which we return again and again. Does she have reservations about working on something so controversial? The question seems to stump her for a moment.

“Some ponies seem to think I should. The sort of ponies that would abandon their own mothers to a hydra to make a few extra bits or catch a little fame. I have principles, darling! And besides, I’m the only mare Lero trusts to make his clothing these days. He’s really quite lucrative.”

And, as she goes on to explain, controversy is her bread and butter. “If I’m not making tongues wag with my work I’m not doing it properly. One supposes one could rest on one’s laurels for a while, but a while soon becomes the rest of your life. Or I could exploit the fame of being an Element of Harmony, or the fact that I’m just two degrees distant from the throne of Equestria, or just hoard jewels like some dragon and be wealthy that way. But where’s the excitement? That’s not success, darling, it’s just acquisition. So uninspired.”

As someone who sought controversy, then, would she have considered courting the human?

“Absolutely not. He’s really not my type at all. Besides, it seldom does to mix business and pleasure. Of course, in my case, my business is my pleasure so perhaps that isn’t the best advice to follow.”

Our talk is interrupted by another flurry of activity as Rarity returns to her work. She’s still on a break, she insists, but nevertheless the dress continues to take form. Who the piece is for remains a closely guarded secret, with Rarity only willing to concede that it will shortly grace a duchess of some repute.

The obvious question becomes, then, has Rarity seen her business in Canterlot drop off as her stance on the wedding has become more widely known?

As you might expect by now, she shows little concern. “If they choose to go elsewhere that is their business, of course, but they’ll not be able to find anypony up to my standards, and I would rather lose their business than abandon my friends.”

And her friends amongst Canterlot’s nobility who might disagree with her stance? “I have few true friends to begin with. Fancy Pants, the Sparkles, Princess Celestia of course, but few others. Lero in fact has more than I, not least that he moves in circles I’ve yet to enter thanks to those hands of his. Apparently friendship is something many a noble must sacrifice in order to be noble. It seems to be a rather sad life, even if it was one I once sought with all my heart. And no, before you ask, I wouldn’t dream of exploiting my friendship with Lero to gain more business. Now darling, if you’ll excuse me, I have a client arriving shortly.”

With an easy smile and a gentle hoof she leads the way to the shop floor of the Carousel Boutique, where incredible works of art grace are scattered almost haphazardly about the broad expanse of the floor. No sales counter, no waiting staff mar the scene. It is difficult to believe that such demure beauty could do what she has done, that such a pony could have saved Equestria countless times and still find room to create such magic. Only the sight of an unusual shop dummy in the background, towering over its counterparts in an awkward, upright pose, reveals anything remotely unusual about this elegant mare, who courts such controversy and risks so much of her life and business for the sake of her friends.

Baskerville Slant