• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 41,576 Views, 3,503 Comments

The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon - Aegis Shield



Nightmare Moon returns as a battered, half-starved alicorn and its up to everypony to help her. Meanwhile, Blueblood lusts after Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
123
 3,503
 41,576

The Grand Galloping Gala (I of III)

The Return of Princess Nightmare Moon
Part 19: The Grand Galloping Gala (I of III)

Tombs leaned back, admiring his work. The golden-haired Prince looked positively perfect. The three maids stood back, mouths agape in awe. His majesty’s fur was pristine, his yellow locks shiny, and the perfect pressed tux he wore magnificent. Stroking his mustache, the butler leaned with a pair of tiny barber’s scissors and clipped a few stray hairs on Blueblood’s fetlocks. “There.” He said officially, stepping back. “You are ready.”

Blueblood turned and looked at the full-length mirror. His image said he looked nervous and a little pale. Kind of sweaty too. The quiet musk of upset stallion touched Feather Duster’s nose. She knew his scents quite well after dancing with him for so many weeks. They’d worked each other ragged for a long time getting better and better… now the reformed stallion was ready to persue his true love. Murmuring and shifting a little to look at himself, he studied his hooves and then his vest. He heaved a great sigh to steady himself.

“You can do it, sire!” Feather Duster said.

“Don’t worry too much, sire!” said Cheery Cherry.

“Remember everything we’ve taught you, and you will do just fine.” Tombs assured his master, leaning and straightening his bowtie a little. Blueblood smiled in a rather bashful way. “Now go. Go and pursue your lady love.” The middle-aged stallion smiled gingerly.

“Thank you. All of you.” Blueblood actually bowed to them, dipping his head. All three maids blushed happily. Their master was all grown up, having refined himself into a true gentlecolt. “I know this night will be unforgettable. I could not have done it without you.” He gave a rather bashful smile as he rose, turning towards his front door. He paused there, staring at the knob. This was going to be quite possibly the most important night of his life so far. The stage was set. The event was now. Everything he’d been preparing for came down to this… and Twilight Sparkle… Twilight… he suddenly vomited all over the tile.

“Oh jeez.” Cheery facehoofed a little, before rushing forward with the others to help their poor little Princeling. “Mind your mane, sire, we’ve just brushed it!”

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Green. Green. Green all around him and he didn’t know why. Gravity said he was upside down, but he was floating in something green. He panicked at the lack of air, but it was in his lungs too, feeding him oxygen somehow. Medical science said no, that was impossible, but he would’ve drown long ago if that were true. The half-conscious nurse Bandaid slitted an eye part of the way open, looking out a the world through the membranes of his cocoon. It was cool, quiet and dark. A small pulse of neon green light came from his prison, making it hard to see out.

He wiggled a little in the sludge, it felt like snot or runny eggs or… something nasty and slimy he couldn’t name. He was a medical pony, he’d dealt with all sorts of nasty things, but he’d never been submerged in any of it. He shuddered a little, until suddenly a changling face popped into his view. He quickly squeezed his eyes shut, fretting as though having a bad dream.

“Skree!” said one of the changling twins to her sister.

“Skree-reef!” said the other, looking up curiously. She watched her sibling crawl all over the primary pod, poking it this way and that.

Was something wrong? The occupant was struggling a bit, as though in a fitful sleep. Usually encased ponies were as limp as noodles. Why did he move? She poked and prodded at the stalks a little, wondering If they needed to be reinforced. She lit her horn, but no, it all seemed perfectly fine. Maybe it was just a night terror and he was wiggling because of it. Oh well. “Skree-vah.” She buzzed down to her sister with a shrug. They went back to guarding the door. Now that they had food in there, they couldn’t let anypony wander in. So, they wouldn’t be able to see their dates at all unless they just happened to wander by.

Bandaid wiggled actively, the pod swaying on its stalk until he found a little folding point with his hooves. Peeling at it, he saw the ecto-goo start to dribble out like pudding. Pulling fiercely when the twins had gone, he suddenly spilled out onto the floor. Gagging and sneezing violently, he slopped back and forth as he vomited, gagged again, and expelled the nastiness from his lungs. Gasping desperately for air, it was some time before he could breath properly again. What was all that gunk?! How did the changlings make it?! They’d not brought anything with them… ewww! Thrashing about and getting filthier and filthier as he went, he flopped down just to try and breathe.

His mind spun. How long had he been in there? Hours? Days? What day was it? Was it night? His sleeping cycle had thrown off his internal clock, and the dungeon had no windows to tell him the time of day. Turning his head miserably, he looked for his medical bag. It was gone. Then he remembered. Chrysalis. Chrysalis had taken it, sucked the love out of him, and stolen his bag. How she’d conjured his vest onto herself and not his bag was beyond him, but it was magic so maybe it didn’t need explaining.

Angry, the earth pony finally forced himself to his hooves after a time. His idiot Princess was probably chest deep in her lusty ways by now. Or drinking. Or straining. Or doing some other number of things he’d told her not to do time and time again. He hated her for it. He HATED Nightmare Moon. She’d brought him nothing but misery and made his job a living hell for it! Standing forcefully he frothed at the mouth a little, dribbling green goo down his chin and from his mane. It reared its ugly head so suddenly, so potently, it was staggering. He needed an outlet. He needed something right then right now. He peered about the room, then down at his front. He was still wearing his vest. He opened it briefly. He still had all his tools. All the sharp objects and needles and medical poisons. A terrible, vengeful grin began to rise on his muzzle, and an equally terrible plan began to form. He scrubbed at an itch in his scalp and he very suddenly looked like a mad scientist who’s latest experiment had gone wrong and drenched him with green goo. Wild. Frothy. Angry. So, so angry.

The changling twins patrolled the hall, only pausing to peer into each cell curiously. They didn’t want anypony sneaking past them and seeing their prisoner, after all. “Bon.” Said one in twinspeak. “Gerf-narh-hah-argh.” She chittered a bit, fluttering her wings some. Should they leave? Maybe their prisoner would be okay.

“Nox!” snapped the other. Of course not! Anypony could just wander by and discover everything. “Gamba-tooie mock neeko!” They had a responsibility, no matter how much they liked those two handsome ponies and wanted to give them kisses (and more?), the queen’s orders were priority. Why, when they got home they could have all the royal jelly they… could… eat? Both twins stopped, staring into the doorway of their staying room. The main pod was open, there was slime all over the floor, and the stallion was gone. “Skreee!” They shrieked in unison, rushing into the room.

Bandaid-GRABBED-one-of-them-as-they-rushed-in-from-behind-JAB! A syringe found its way between carapace plates, and he pumped her full of local anesthesia. Smiling wickedly and using his other hoof to keep her quiet while she writhed in agony, he yanked it out just as quickly. The soldier flailed, trying to make noise and alert her sister. But no, he was an earth pony. He wasn’t a fighter, but he was still abnormally strong for a creature his size. Her wings buzzed, trying to lift off, trying to throw him off and… and the world was tilting and… she felt… she felt… thump. She hit the ground, completely drugged.
The other guard turned in time to see the healer-turned-monster give a gloating grin to her fallen sibling. He kicked her for good measure, then fixed his maddened eyes on the remaining enemy. Skreeching in feral fury the changling charged, horn lowered to gore him! The nurse panicked briefly, but then turned and THREW her sister’s body into her path with his abnormal earth pony strength. She-stutter-stepped in her charge, crying out fearfully so she didn’t kill her hive sister. She dove forward to catch instead of kill, and he was on her in an instant. Using his much broader stallion chest he battering rammed straight into her. She tumbled along the ground with a screech.

Spitting to one side with anger rising in her bright eyes, her back split open to free her wings. She buzzed into the air to attack him from on high. “No you DON’T!” Bandaid roared. He reached into his white vest and pulled a hoof-full of scalpels from the inside flaps. He always carried some in case an infection needed to be split, or debris needed to be cut from flesh before moving a patient. But no, now they were like kunai knives. He threw them wildly, aiming high on purpose. They spattered into the poor changlings wings, ripping the gossimar wide open. She barrel-rolled wildly when one of her wings became useless and she crashed face first into the ground.

“SKREEE!” she threw herself to her feet, flailing wildly and leaping upon him to tear his wretched throat out! The stallion and soldier crashed together, and the soldier easily overtook the healer. She scratched at him, drawing blood and ripping his vest apart with her fangs as she tried to get an open shot at his jugular. Bandaid worked quickly and carefully, zeroing in on just the right… There! He found where her knee and ball-joint sockets joined. The changling physiology was different, but not too alien in the legs. With a surgeon’s precision and a newfound hatred for life, he snapped her leg at the knee. Blood poured from his face as he rose and she tumbled off of him, holding herself with a scream. Savage and not done with her yet and leaped onto her to pin her to the ground. “Skreee! SKREEEE!” she shouted ferally, flailing and trying to just murder him at this point. Her horn jabbed him here and there, but the sparking magic wasn’t enough to fend him off. She couldn’t get enough concentration to zap him properly through the maddening pain of the broken limb.

“You know what you get when you drain all the love out of a healer like me?” Nurse Bandaid said, frothing at the mouth and mind full of all his hatred. He grinned at her like a madpony. “You get a stallion that knows wayyy too much about exactly how to hurt others!” Then, he began to beat her. He beat her, and he beat her, and he beat her somemore until orange blood began to gather on the floor. She stopped moving after a time, beaten bloody and into a welcoming darkness. He’d not killed either of them, but they would not ever cross him again. Not any time soon.

Panting and rising from his prey, he looked around. The rush, the thrill, the glory of all his HATE! It felt good! Healing ponies was so hard, so time consuming and expensive to learn. He was in debt for at least another ten years for it all. Why hadn’t he become a soldier!? Hurting ponies was so much easier, SO much easier and satisfying. He threw his head back and laughed wildly. Turning and ripping the cloak from one of the twins, he scrubbed his face and hooves a bit. He didn’t care to get completely, clean, but he didn’t’ want to stink of orange blood when he went to expose the imposter. “Chrysalis-ssss…” he hissed, turning and leaving the scene of the carnage with purpose in his eyes. The hateful stallion had tasted the blood of the enemy, and now he wanted more. With no love left in his heart, he was more than ready to get rid of the changeling that was agitating his patient.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Blueblood cleared his throat. He straightened his bowtie. Checked his little chest-flower. Nodding to himself, he looked down at his perfect set of indestructible golden dancing horseshoes. “Completely worth a wishing star. They go with my mane.” He snickered just a little, trying to steady himself with laughter. Truth be told, he’d wished for something tiny and selfish to keep himself for wishing for something outrageous. What if he’d asked for a million bits? Haha! He’d get the buck taxed out of his entire estate! Something small and simple like dancing horse-shoes was much, much safer. Having the power of the gods in his hooves was too tempting, too much, so he had to us it up before he thought twice. Nodding to himself, he knocked on Twilight Sparkle’s door.

“Coming!” Came the distant reply. Blueblood held his breath, and smiled when she opened the door to him. “Hey Blueblood!” his eyes locked on the golden circlet on her head. The sun and moon symbol glittered like the finest-spun spells. That was the unified royal seal on her forehead! “Do you like it?” she saw him looking. “I’m the Court Vizier now!” she grinned proudly, throwing her chest out a little bit.

The stallion felt a very sudden, very real blow to his pride. Twilight Sparkle outranked him! He felt a little overwhelmed, and swallowed audibly. “Er!” he quickly leaned forward into a little bow. “You look… lovely.” He said, admiring her gala dress and styled mane. “As a lady should.”

Spike suddenly appeared at the door, appraising Blueblood with suspicious eyes. “No funny stuff now.” He said, pointing a hooked claw at the white stallion. Twilight gave him a look, but he wouldn’t falter. “Have her back before dawn, huh? I know the Gala runs late, but it’s not something I like goin’ to.” He said a little gruffily. With his little hoard atop the bookshelves he was Blueblood’s height, and could squint into his eyes at eye-level. “But if I wake up tomorrow and she’s not in her bed --!”
“Spike!” Twilight said a little angrily. “I’ll be fine!” she insisted. When she wasn’t looking, Spike made a lewd gesture with his hands, pointed at him, Twilight-- then mimed slashing his claws across his throat in a threatening manner.
Blueblood leaned back, lifting a hoof in a worried way. “I-I’ll be sure she’s home safe.”

“We’re not even leaving the palace.” Twilight grumbled, kissing Spike’s forehead (Blueblood’s heart leapt, he wanted kisses too!) goodbye. “The Gala is in the far wing, and if you decide you wanna join us you can.” She smiled, touselling his head a little.

“I’d rather… eh, have a good time you two.” Spike caught himself and waved lightly. The dragon didn’t see the appeal of dressing up all froo-froo and then letting other ponies smirk at you if something was even a little rumpled while you ate or danced. So, he’d elected to stay home and play Ponies and Castles with a couple of friends. Twilight didn’t know that, but she wouldn’t be home for at least eight hours. They got on him sometimes for playing his own race (“You’re too OP, Spike!”) but ehhh, it was fun to be a dragon and smash stuff sometimes in a tabletop game rather than in real life.

“I promise I’ll be a perfect gentlecolt.” Prince Blueblood promised, but Spike’s only response was to shut the door in his face with a grumble. The stallion wilted a little, but Twilight giggled.

“He’s very protective, is all. C’mon.” she was already trotting away from the royal apartments and towards the heart of the castle towards the gala. The fireworks were already starting, and the songs were being sung. Every year there was a new ‘At the Gala’ song, and it was cute to hear everypony’s dreams for how wonderful it would be. Truth be told it was a rather formal event, but the occasional true partygoer never hurt anything. Twilight actually liked it when things didn’t go according to plan at the Gala itself. It kept it from being boring.

=-----=-----=-----=-----=

Princess Nightmare Moon cocked her head, leaning around yet another corner. “Come, no sign of her!” she beckoned the twins and not-Bandaid along with her. They’d come in from Canterlot, checking every corner, sneaking into the palace… as best as an alicorn could sneak, that is. It was rather comical, really. She was a foot taller than anypony and jet black. She DID stand out amongst the sweeping marble and bright colors. “We shalt prepare for the Gala with haste, and then stand with our sister for the evening.”

“Wouldn’t you want to dance? Even a little?” Not-Bandaid said a little flirtily. The twins eyed him, but said nothing. He’d been a bit braver around the Princess the past few days. Almost like he was in love with her or something. Both brothers shuddered at the thought of their two bosses doing anything… intimate. Blergh!

“Er, perhaps another time.” Nightmare responded at last. “My legs have still been aching me more lately. Even a slow dance would bring me a bit of pain.” She hung her head a little, but perked at his reassuring smile. “But, perhaps we may stand closely on the dance floor during a slow song and pretend to dance?” she offered. The imposter smiled and nodded rapidly, liking the idea. Leaning around the final corner, she came to the entrance of the Obsidian Hall. “Ah, finally!” she nodded to them and they all dashed inside. Chrysalis could’ve been behind any corner, any column, but the hall would be safe. When they were all inside Nightmare shut the door and warded it with lunar magic. “There, we are safe now. Come, I must dress and prepare!” she tilted her muzzle up regally, making for her room and the Royal Dress closet. All three stallions followed, tilting their heads. Had the Princess gone to be fitted for a dress? Would she wear a dress when Celestia never wore anything to the Gala? Hmm… Princess Nightmare thrust her closet open, and stopped. “I have no dresses.” She said flatly, sounding annoyed. “Blast.” She stroked her chin, then went to the balcony window. “Perhaps a bit of moonlight…” she mumbled, staring up at fair Luna. The moon regarded her sourly, but it was with a genuine coy smile that Nightmare asked, “May I have a bit of moonlight, Luna?” She didn’t NEED permission, she could just take it, but she really did need to repair her relationship with the celestial body and the spirit within. Luna was surprised to say the least, though a little wary. There was silent permission given, and the black alicorn thanked her. “Let’s see now… ah.” Her horn lit and, grasping strands of silvery moonlight, she began to gild herself with thin ceremonial armor. A bib-like shape worked over her chest, crested with a moonshape. Her horseshoes molded up into glorious filigree that almost reached her knees. Her war helm slowly melted down and shined itself into something less intimidating. The sparkle of stars in her mane reflected this way and that, and she slowly spread her almost-recovered wings. She turned about to show the boys, and they all ooooh’d appreciatively.

“Beautiful!”

“Sexy!”

“Gorgeous!”

They laid it on thick, for they’d never seen their goddess dressed in such a lovely way. They clapped their hooves some and she smiled. “Now then, something for all of thee.” She smiled in a mischievous way. Moonlight washed over the twins, decking them out in handsome purple and black armors. Their eyes tinged gold and their coats flushed to an ashy grey. They squirmed a bit, looking at each other and gasping in unison. They had dorsal fins on their heads! And bat wings, whoa’hhhh bat wings! Their feathery wings had been replaced with membrane, gliding-style flappers. “It is merely an illusion, I’ve not morphed thy bodies.” She giggled a little as they strutted to the nearest mirror to check themselves out. Sexy! “And now thee, Bandaid…” she turned to the stallion, who backed up immediately.

“Ohhh that’s okay, I’ve got something already!” Not-Bandaid said nervously, backing up to the far closet. He knew if she touched him with transformative alicorn magic, she might rip off his disguise by accident. Chrysalis couldn’t let that happen. “Just a sec, I’ll slip into it!” he tutted her when she lit her horn. He disappeared into the closet and out of her sight. Nightmare made a pouty face, but if her nurse had something ready for the occasion she supposed that was fine. Closing the door behind him, he made some stomping, shuffling sounds. In the dark, Chrysalis’ horn lit itself and she pasted a flat, black tuxedo vest onto her disguise. Nodding in satisfaction, she slipped it back on and straightened herself. Slicking his (now his, in disguise again, remember) mane down, he looked rather charming and handsome. Grinning in a confident stallion sort of way, the imposter stepped back into view.

“Wheww!” whistled one of the twins, eyeing him up and nodding. “Slick!”

“He thinks of everything!” said the other twin. They nodded in agreement at each other.

“Thou does look very handsome, hoofservant.” The Princess nodded her approval. “Perhaps, since I already have guards, you may be my escort for the evening?”

Not-Bandaid had the decency to blush and nod quietly. “Th-that was the plan, I guess…” he said shyly. Very much like the real Bandaid would. His memories painted the picture of a very mare-shy stallion, and he had to play the part until the time was right. He scuffed the floor with his hoof just a little, and Nightmare chuckled.

“Thou would make a worthy stallion for any mare who set her eyes upon you, noble Bandaid.” She leaned and kissed his forehead. Bandaid went red in the face, stuttering nonsense for a few moments and giggling helplessly. Nightmare adored him for it even more, touseling his mane a little. Her nurse’s imposter smiled coyly up at her.

The twins jittered a little. They wanted kisses too! Ah well… They wouldn’t be able to feel them through their helms anyway, so they would be wasted kisses. Oh wait, they had dates! Dates gave kisses! “Princess, can we go pick up our dates before we go?” Aegis Shield asked hopefully. “I know they’re changelings and stuff, but they’re really nice and… and my brother and I like them a lot.” He said, staring at her hooves and not her face.

Princess Nightmare considered for a time. “Very well. If only to foster good foreign relations, go and fetch them. Meet us at the stairs at the Gala entrance. My sister should be there, so we will chat with her for a bit.” She nodded her permission. The twins flashed grins at each other, and took off running out of the room. Nightmare and not-Bandaid heard the Obsidian Hallway vault-like door open, and the galloping hoof-steps faded with distance. “They are certainly enthused for those two changeling mares, are they not?” the black alicorn shook her head.

“They’re nice once you get to know them, I bet. You don’t get to guard royalty by being incompetent.” The imposter stallion shrugged a little. “Besides, at least they’re not treating them like life-sucking monsters or something. Ponies are scared of changelings. The ones that know what they are anyway.” He tilted his muzzle up in an indignant way, but suddenly caught himself and winced. “Er! Anyway!” he quickly amended. Clearing his throat and stepping into the moonlight, he stood quite near to her. “I uhm… I’ve really been looking forward to tonight.” He said in a romantic way.

“Oh?” said Nightmare. “Will thou think to show me off like a trophy mare?” she teased him.

The imposter wilted in a shy way, turning his ears back. “Th-that’s not what I meant…” he mumbled. “I mean, all this time we’ve had together, you’ve not really been in the public eye very much.” He reached up and put a more-than-friendly hoof on her shoulder. “Ponyville is just one town.” He said softly, looking into her beautiful draconic eyes. “Canterlot will have nobles from all over the country, straining to have a look at you.” It came out like a compliment, and Nightmare smiled coyly at him. “I mean… I mean…” he scuffed his hoof on the ground a little.

“My health and well-being will have a reflection of how well thou hast cared for me, in other words.” Nightmare teased, leaning and putting a long leg about him. She pulled him into a light hug. “Thou art my trusted and faithful friend, Bandaid. Be not nervous for the scrutinizing eyes of the public. With thou at my side and the twins at my aide, I shalt be as regal and beautiful as the most lovely full moon.” She gestured to Luna, who proverbially blushed at the compliment.

“D-do you feel up to it?” not-Bandaid eyed her up and down. “If you get tired partway through the Gala, I’m sure no one would mind if you stepped out for your health. Or if you didn’t wanna dance or--!” she put a big hoof over his never-ceasing, adorably cute mouth.

“I am well enough for the moment. Let us enjoy that luck, hoof servant.” She adjusted her breastplate a bit with one hoof, smiling at him a little. There was a stretched, awkward silence. The promise of intimacy after the Gala hung in the air between them. Would they really do it? Wasn’t it unbelievably inappropriate? Couldn’t he lose his job? Wouldn’t she be making herself into a hypocrite? The goddess sighed a little, but did not find herself caring. In the sealed Obsidian Hallway, things would stay quiet and private as they should be. If she took her hoof servant as a lover, it was her own business. “Bandaid.” She said after a time.

Bandaid smiled, feeling hot in the ears. They looked into each other’s eyes, standing very close together. His quiet, bright blue eyes were so handsome, just like the rest of him. He wetted his lips lightly, leaning at her just a little. She was so tall, so beautiful… she chuckled a little at his subtlety, leaning down until their necks crossed in an intimate pony-hug. “Oh Princess…” he gazed up at her, tilting his head back because of her height. “I know this is gonna be the best night ever.” He whispered softly, his eyes soft and doe-like. Nightmare sighed happily, deeply touched. They leaned to kiss—

BAM!

The double doors of the Princess’ bedroom nearly knocked themselves off their hinges. The doorknobs crumpled themselves against the stone walls, and a monster swept into the room. He was a stallion, garbed in scraps of what used to be a crisp white medical vest. Tinkles of metal could be seen poking out here and there, his tools in a disarray like his clothes. He was spattered with neon orange changeling blood, and stank of violence and rage. His steps slopped green pod goo all over the place, and the horrible stuff dripped from his mane and fur. He was ragged, unshaven, and his eyes held nothing but hatred for everything around him. “Who’s there?!” Nightmare flared her wings, pushing her precious Nurse not-Bandaid behind herself. “How DARE thee enter the Royal Chambers uninvited?!”

A love-drained pony who had nothing left in his heart but hate emerged from the shadow of the archway. He looked pale and sickly, but no less dangerous and feral. Bandaid glared daggers at not-Bandaid. He spat some pod goo that had gathered in his mouth from his sinuses. He wiped his mouth and drew a pair of scalpels from his vest as weapons. Nightmare startled back, looking from one brown stallion to the other. What was this sorcery?! There was savagery in his voice when he spoke at last.

“Get away from her you BITCH!”



End of Part 19

Author's Note:

Nurse Bandaid. He will **cking kill you. :3

(Image by Carmack21)