• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 4,583 Views, 276 Comments

The Adventures of Supermare: Side Stories to Mare of Steel - iowaforever



Rainbow Dash grows in her role as Supermare

  • ...
2
 276
 4,583

Tea with a Princess

Tea with a Princess

Princess Cadence stood on one of the balconies of the central spire of the Crystal Empire, waiting. Behind her was a small table, on which sat a teapot and two cups, and a very nervous Shining Armor.

“Are you sure that you don’t need anything else?” he asked, pawing at the ground nervously.

“You’ve asked me that ten times in the past five minutes, and yes I am sure I don’t need anything else.” She shot her husband a smile. “I’m surprised that you’d be so nervous over one pony.”

“Well, yeah, but she’s still, you know, a superhero and all. I have a right to be nervous.” Cadence chuckled and turned to face Shining Armor.

“Shining, there’s no need to be nervous; she may be a superhero, but she’s still a pony.” Shining Armor nodded in agreement. “You know, this reminds me a lot of our first date.”

“Yeah...”

“You were so nervous that you’d mess something up you accidentally set your napkin on fire.”

“I know, no need to remind me.”

“Still, I thought it was cute.” Shining Armor blushed. Cadence giggled at his misfortune and looked back across the Crystal Empire. A minute passed before she saw a blue speck flying towards the spire, gradually growing until it took the shape of a tan-coated mare in a blue suit and red cape. The mare slowed and pulled up, hovering over the balcony for a moment before landing with a small thump.

“Princess Cadence.” She said, nodding her respects.

“Supermare.” Cadence returned the nod. “On the behalf of all my subjects, I want to welcome you to the Crystal Empire.”

“The pleasure is mine.” Supermare smiled and looked past Cadene towards Shining Armor. “Your husband?”

“Oh yes, almost forgot.” Cadence turned slightly. “This is Shining Armor, Captain of Equestria’s Royal Guards.”

“It’s an honor to meet you face to face, Supermare.” Shining Armor said, bowing slightly.

“Not many people get that chance.” Supermare looked at Cadence. “Will he be joining us?”

“No, I have some administrative work that has to be done. I’ll just leave you two alone for now.” Shining bowed again and left, Cadence blowing a kiss to him before he vanished from sight.

“He’s always been like that around visiting dignitaries.” the princess chuckled. “Come, make yourself at home.” Supermare nodded and made her way towards the table. Cadence took a moment to look the superhero over; Supermare did not carry herself like a noble, preferring to be more loose and casual with her movement, but she did seem to walk carefully, her steps barely making any sound against the floor. Cadence could also see traces of strong magic radiating off the mare, but she passed it off as merely leftover power from coming through the barrier surrounding the Empire. She walked over to the table and sat down, pouring tea for herself and her guest as she did so.

“So,” Cadence began. “I wanted to ask you a few questions.”

“I’ll answer them to the best of my ability.” the superhero responded, taking a small sip from her tea.

“Will you be making any further trips into the Crystal Empire to do... heroics?”

“If it’s a problem, no, but I promise to not interfere unless extremely necessary.”

“Oh, that’s a relief.” Cadence sighed and finished off the last of her tea. “When I first heard about you, I was reminded of one of my friends from my childhood years. She was a bit... hot blooded, very passionate about protecting ponies by any means necessary.”

“And you were afraid I might have something get to my head and I’d turn into some kind of vigilante or, Celestia forbid, overthrow you?” Cadence nodded. “I am a protector of ponies first and foremost; while I do believe in justice I won’t take it upon myself to become a one-pony justice department. Also, I think you are capable of being a very good ruler, and you’ve been nice to a couple of my friends and I don’t want to betray their trust as well as yours.”

“But wouldn’t that help you in the long run?”

“Yes, but I tend to see myself as a guide, not an administrator. How you run your nation is up to you, and I promise that I will not try and usurp your authority unless you become a threat to the ponies of Equestria and the Empire.” Supermare took another sip. “Is there anything else you would like to ask?”

“A few things, yes. When I first arrived here, I noticed a few sources of magical energy to the west. You wouldn’t have anything to do with that, would you?” Supermare was silent for a moment before chuckling.

“That’s nothing to worry about, just some background radiation from the explosion in Canterlot. A lot of magic does tend to collect up here, so you shouldn’t worry if more spots pop up.”

“Very well. One final question.” Cadence paused, looking around at the Crystal Empire. “Are there... are there more of you?”

“... No. I am the last Kryptonian; the others died when Krypton was destroyed, or... I don’t really want to talk about the others.”

“I didn’t mean to pry, I just...” Cadence sighed. “I grew up amongst alicorns and other powerful beings. When my aunt brought me to Canterlot for magical training, I couldn’t imagine what she had to go through with... no one. It scared me and made me feel bad, thinking that She had no one to help her through Luna’s banishment.”

“What about those that you grew up with?”

“They never left my home, and Celestia never visited. She never did tell me why, but I rarely saw her as a filly.”

“I see.” Supermare finished the last of her tea. “You shouldn’t worry. Celestia is a strong mare, and I think we all have to go through times where we need to know that we are alone; it helps us grow closer to and be more thankful for our friends and family.” Cadence looked at the superhero. “My father told me that.” Supermare explained.

“I thought you said you were the last Kryptonian.”

“I am. It’s a long story that I don’t really have time to explain.” Supermare smiled. “I would love to stay and talk, but I have other duties to attend to.”

“Oh, of course.” Supermare rose up into the air and prepared to leave, but something held her back.

“Two things before I leave.”

“Yes?”

“Your friend, what was her name?”

“Diana.”

“Diana, huh? I’d like to meet her sometime.”

“I’m sure she’d like to meet you as well.” Supermare nodded. “Was there anything else you’d like to ask?”

“Yeah. Does Shining Armor know?” Cadence frowned.

“Know what?”

“You know what I’m talking about. Have you told him yet?” Cadence blinked before she realised what exactly Supermare was talking about.

“No, I haven’t told him yet.”

“You should. It’s the kind of thing that anypony should tell their spouse.” Supermare nodded and took off, shrinking into the distance before vanishing entirely.

Author's Note:

I have about five different headcanons regarding Cadence; I'm still waiting to see which one wins out