• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 4,586 Views, 276 Comments

The Adventures of Supermare: Side Stories to Mare of Steel - iowaforever



Rainbow Dash grows in her role as Supermare

  • ...
2
 276
 4,586

Oops

Oops

Rainbow Dash was napping, her first real nap since leaving Canterlot after her fight with Zod. She snuggled into the branches of a tree near Sweet Apple Acres, allowing the wind to brush against her and lull her to sleep. Dreams of flying drifted through her mind, and a small smile spread across her face.

She slept for a few minutes before something fuzzy touched her nose. She scrunched up her face a little and rolled over, but the fuzzy thing landed on her again. She rolled over several more times, but the fuzzy thing kept landing on her again and again. Rainbow Dash grumbled and sat up and found a small butterfly, one of the green and blue ones that Fluttershy was fond of, sitting on her stomach.

“Oh, hi there.” the butterfly looked at her, twitching its antennae a few times. “Hey, can you maybe go sit somewhere else? I want to get some sleep.” The butterfly fluttered up and landed on her head, causing her to frown. “Seriously, I want to sleep. Shoo, get out of here.” Wish talking to animals was one of my powers. “Come on, get out of here, go bother Fluttershy.”

The butterfly fluttered down and landed on her nose, fuzzy legs brushing against her. She twitched her nose several times to get rid of the butterfly, but the insect looked at her and twitched it’s antennae a few more times. “What does Fluttershy do to get rid of... get rid of...”

Rainbow Dash’s nose had begun to tingle, a sensation that grew in intensity the longer the butterfly sat there. She reached up to swat the butterfly away, but something gave out and she sneezed, a massive blast of sound that could be heard as far as Manehattan. Rainbow Dash shook her head and looked around; several apple trees were now devoid of leaves and apples, and a very confused and slightly angry Applejack was looking at her.

“Rainbow, what the hay happened?” She shouted.

“Heh, sorry about that AJ. I can’t really control my sneezes.”

“Well, good thing I had ta pick these apples, but next time I want ya ta sleep somewhere without any crops, ya hear?”

“Yeah yeah, I heard you.” Applejack nodded and went about picking up the scattered apples. Rainbow Dash rubbed her nose and looked around, frowning slightly.

The branch she was sitting on was covered in small icicles, each one growing in thickness and length. Attached to a particularly thick icicle was the butterfly, now a shade of light blue and covered in ice. Rainbow Dash blinked a few times as she realized what had happened.

“... Fluttershy’s going to be mad.”

...

“Hey, Fluttershy, you home?” Rainbow Dash landed outside Fluttershy’s cottage, the frozen butterfly tucked under one of her wings. Fluttershy was with some of her otters, the butter yellow Pegasus helping them with a small pile of fish. Fluttershy paused from her activities and looked up.

“Oh, hello Rainbow Dash. What can I help you with?” Fluttershy finished helping the otters and flew up to face Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah... I’ve got a problem...”

“Is something wrong with Tank?”

“No, he’s fine. It just... well... Something happened to one of your butterflies.”

“Oh dear, you didn’t knock one over when you were out flying, did you?”

“No, I... I kind of froze it, a little.” Fluttershy gasped.

“Oh Rainbow, of all the things you could have done you had to stick some poor little butterfly in a freezer.”

“I never did anything like that! I just... sneezed.”

“Sn-sneezed?”

“Yeah... Wait, I never told you guys about the freeze breath, did I?”

“No.”

“Yeah... I can freeze things with my breath if I really wanted to. I usually can control it, but... well, not when I sneeze.”

“Has this happened before?”

“No, of course not. I just never had... never had...” Rainbow Dash’s nose began to tingle again.

“Rainbow, is something wrong?”

“Fl-Fluttershy, you should... get...” Rainbow Dash’s body spasmed as she sneezed again, knocking the butterfly out from under her wing. Rainbow Dash rubbed her nose and looked up, seeing that Fluttershy was now covered in small icicles, her eyes wide with surprise and her mane swept back.

“Oh come on!”

...

“Hey, Twilight!”

“What is it Rainbow Da-” Twilight frowned as Rainbow Dash dragged the frozen Fluttershy into the library. “Rainbow Dash, what’s wrong with Fluttershy?”

“I froze her with my freeze breath.”

“What?”

“I have freeze breath and I sneezed on Fluttershy, okay? I was going to tell this to you sooner, but it slipped my mind.” Rainbow Dash placed Fluttershy on the ground before Twilight. “Can you unfreeze her?”

“I think I have a spell that may work. Just stand back.” Twilight’s horn shimmered as Fluttershy was enveloped in purple light. There was a flash and the ice around the Pegasus melted, and with her limbs free Fluttershy collapsed to the ground shivering.

“Hey, Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said, pawing at the ground sheepishly. “Sorry for freezing you.”

“Th-Th-That’s-s-s-s O-k-k-k-kay R-R-Rainbow.” Fluttershy stammered, pulling herself back to her hooves. “I kn-kn-know y-y-you didn’t m-m-mean to do th-th-that.”

“Yeah, I’ll try not to do that again.” Rainbow Dash wrapped a leg around her friend. “Come on, I’ll take you home and you can lie down.”

“O-O-O-Okay, Th-Th-Thanks.” the two Pegasi turned to leave while Twilight conjured a mop to clean up the melted ice.

“Rainbow Dash, I think I need to make a list of your powers so we know what to expect and how to deal with problems like this.” Twilight said.

“Uh, what if somepony else finds it?"

“I can memorize it and make a spell so that we all know what they are, then we could destroy the original copy so nopony else gets ahold of it. Does that work?”

“I... I guess it would be okay. Can I get Fluttershy home first, and then we can talk more?”

“Of course.” Twilight waved goodbye as Rainbow Dash carried Fluttershy away.

“I’m still sorry about freezing you, Fluttershy. Is there any way I could make up for it?”

“M-m-maybe if you come w-w-with me t-t-t-to the next b-b-b-b-b-butterfly migration?”

“I... I guess I could do that.”

Author's Note:

Poor Fluttershy