• Published 31st Dec 2011
  • 17,961 Views, 417 Comments

Mario & Luigi: Of Ponies and Plumbers - EverSoNitro



A Mario/My Little Pony crossover based on the Mario & Luigi RPG series

  • ...
14
 417
 17,961

Chapter 10

The forest whipped by in a blur as Rainbow Dash and Mario chased down the runaway Pinkie. Because of Pinkie’s unusual Pinkie Sense, she was able to swiftly navigate between the quickly oncoming trees, keeping herself and Luigi out of harm’s way. However, the fact that they were running through a particularly thick part of the forest was not good for the pursuing pegasus. Mario was having a hard time watching for obstacles, however, he found there was a certain rhythm to the task, as the trees and rocks that blocked their path were arranged in something of a pattern. Once he got into it, he was able to direct Dash through the trees with ease.

After a matter of moments, they were upon the burning red Pinkie Pie and her hapless passenger. Rainbow Dash smirked triumphantly.

“Alright Pinkie, let’s get you back to the others!” Rainbow Dash said. She moved up slightly, ready to pounce down on the runaway pony. However, just as she was coming down, Pinkie’s coat suddenly turned back to its natural colour, and she stopped dead in her tracks, Luigi tumbling off as she did so. As a result, Rainbow and Mario slammed hard into the ground as they overshot their target. They both tumbled and rolled on the forest floor, before they finally stopped.

Well, at least Rainbow Dash stopped. Mario instead sailed through the air, landing in the middle of a large patch of blue flowers.

The rest of the group rushed over to Rainbow Dash’s side, helping her up. They all looked over to where Mario had fallen, and everyone was silent for a moment. Finally, Twilight spoke up.

“This isn’t good…”

They all rushed over to the fallen plumber, careful to skirt around the patch of Poison Joke. When they were as close as they could get, Twilight lifted Mario out of the plants, and as they lowered him down, they were all shocked with what descended before them.

Mario had turned into an infant, diaper and all.

“Um… Mario? Are y’all okay?” Applejack asked.

Suddenly, Baby Mario started bawling, a cry that shook the very trees around him. Everyone tried to cover their ears to shield themselves from the painful whining.

“Sweet Celestia!” Rarity cried. “How in the world can a baby make that much noise?!”

“Fluttershy!” Twilight shouted over the crying baby. “I need you to take Luigi and go find Zecora! She should have an antidote!”

“Okay, Twilight,” Fluttershy said, her shouting being what most would call a normal speaking voice. “But, if you don’t mind me asking, why me?”

“Because you know your way around the forest better than anyone else here!” Twilight explained. “The rest of us have to stay here and make sure nothing happens to Mario! Now hurry!”

“Okay,” Fluttershy said. “Let’s go, Luigi.” The green plumber nodded, and the two of them headed off while the other ponies did their best to stop the baby’s crying.

Luigi and Fluttershy ended up taking one of the more out of the way routes to Zecora’s hut. As such, there weren’t so many creatures out this way, though Luigi still had to step in a few times and protect the meek pony. After a bit of travel, the hut came into view.

“Okay, Luigi, this is Zecora’s home,” Fluttershy explained. “Here, we’ll be able to get the Poison Joke cure from her, and we’ll be able to help your brother.”

Luigi nodded, and the two approached. However, there was suddenly a rustling in the bushes beside the road, and Luigi and Fluttershy jumped back, both of them shaking. After a tense moment of wondering what kind of horrible monster was lurking, a cyan figure stumbled out from the bushes. The pony and plumber held each other, eyes shut tight. They slowly opened them and standing before them was…

A Yoshi.

Fluttershy immediately let go of Luigi, who tumbled to the ground, and approached the Yoshi. “Hey there little guy…” Fluttershy said softly. The Yoshi seemed to be afraid, something had spooked him. “It’s okay… don’t be afraid… what’s wrong?”

The Yoshi glanced over towards the hut behind him, and began jabbering away in his typical Yoshi-speak. Fluttershy, however, didn’t seem to understand, and neither did Luigi, who had stood back up.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of… that’s just Zecora’s,” Fluttershy explained. “Zecora’s really very nice, she just seems scary if you don’t know her well… We were just about to see her, would you like us to introduce you?”

The Yoshi shook his head franticly, and tried to keep Fluttershy and Luigi from getting any closer to it.

“Please, we really need to see her,” Fluttershy said. She and Luigi got past the Yoshi, and made their way to the door. They knocked, and the Yoshi watched tentatively from behind.

A loud, angry shouting came from behind the door.

“Who dares to disturb me?! Go away, I’m quite busy!”

“Zecora?” Fluttershy asked quietly. “It’s me, Fluttershy, we really need your help…”

“I’m in no mood to help you out!” Came the response. “Can you not tell from my shout?!”

“Please, Zecora, our friend fell into a patch of Poison Joke, and we need a-“

“That’s your problem, I just don’t care! Go! Get lost! Get out of my hair!”

“Zecora, is something the matter?” Fluttershy asked. She slowly opened the door, and peeked inside.

Much of Zecora’s shack had been trashed. Beakers of various solutions lay shattered on the floor, tribal masks were in splinters, and the cauldron had been overturned. The zebra which owned the place stood facing away from them, seemingly shaking in rage.

“Zecora? What’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked, as Luigi and the cyan Yoshi stood behind her.
They all jumped as Zecora whipped around, her face contorted with rage. The thing that startled them, however, was the swirling, multi-coloured pattern in her eyes.

“How dare you intrude on my privacy! I want to be alone, you see?! I have no want or need for you, so leave me now, or you’ll be through!” Zecora suddenly charged at the three of them, and Luigi, Fluttershy, and the Yoshi now faced a former friend in combat.