• Published 31st Dec 2011
  • 21,290 Views, 400 Comments

The Wind Thief - Cold in Gardez

  • ...
23
 400
 21,290

Epilogue

The Wind Thief
Epilogue

Some weeks later...

Sly fidgeted.

She wasn’t used to standing still for long periods of time. As a foal, she had driven her parents crazy with her restlessness, even when she wasn’t pretending to be a thief or an adventurer. At least once a week, she was sent home from school with a warning slip for running around during class. It had been a huge relief when the school finally closed for lack of students, and she could wander freely throughout her days.

“Stop that,” Twilight Sparkle whispered. She sat serenely next to Sly, looking immaculate in her simple librarian’s robe. Her mane was as long as it was before the crypt — which was to say it was short and cut razor-straight just below her ears. Sly’s wish had not only restored Twilight’s health, but her hair and coat as well. Sly found herself staring at the lovely strands occasionally. Twilight didn’t seem bothered by the attention.

“Sorry,” Sly whispered back. They had been waiting for most of an hour in one of the palace’s many reading rooms. Twilight passed the time, predictably, with a book. Sly fidgeted.

It had taken the better part of two days to emerge from Curalmil’s tomb. Although Twilight had been healthy and hale, Sly had barely been able to walk. As they had already emptied the tomb of healing potions, there was nothing they could do for her injuries but wash and bandage them. She hadn’t minded that part. Twilight hadn’t, either.

It had also served to distract Twilight from being furious at her. She guessed what Sly had done within minutes of the wish, and spent the next several hours railing at her for wasting it. Sly hadn’t cared; even the sound of a furious Twilight was music to her ears. Eventually, Twilight’s anger petered out -- it was hard to be mad at someone for saving your life, after all. Sly’s shameless use of puppy dog eyes may have helped things along.

Their first steps outside the tomb were an emotional reunion with the sun and wind. Sly actually cried with joy when she felt the warm rays on her face. Twilight simply sat down and sobbed.

After that, the return to Canterlot was uneventful. Twilight pretended not to notice Sly stopping by the pawn shop to drop off saddlebags stuffed with loot, and together they reported to the palace. An honor guard was already waiting for them at the gate when they arrived.

Technically, the honor guard was waiting for Twilight. The actual city guard was waiting for Sly. Only Twilight’s quick intervention and assurances kept them from slapping Sly in chains and hauling her back to the jail. Instead, thanks to Twilight’s pull at the palace, Sly was given a room in the guest quarters. She politely ignored the guard stationed outside her door and pretended not to mind their daily searches of her belongings.

As if they would notice anything missing, anyway.

No sign yet of their host. Sly sighed and inspected the bookshelves for the seventh time. Nope, nothing new there. Twilight glanced at her, then rolled her eyes before returning to the book.

She wasn’t so haughty last night, Sly grumbled to herself. The memory sprang to mind, unbidden but welcome nevertheless.

***

The previous night...

Sly was dead asleep when the knock came at her door.

She was up in an instant, balancing on the tips of her hooves. Her eyes automatically sought out the light and dark parts of her room, and she was moving to hide in the shadows when her brain came fully online, reminding her of where she was.

She trotted carefully over to the door and opened it. Outside stood Twilight Sparkle, who was looking at her nervously, and the guard, who was ignoring them both.

Sly blinked sleepily. “Uh, hey?” Ever the smooth operator.

“Hi... uh, good evening,” Twilight said, ducking her head. “Can... can I come in?” she finished softly, almost whispering. The guard ignored her with what seemed like a supreme effort of will.

Yes you can! Sly was completely awake, now. She glanced out the door to see who else might be witnessing this visit, then drew back inside, holding the door open for the librarian. “Of course.”

Twilight smiled and trotted past her into the room. Sly waited until she was clear, then leaned closer to the guard. “We’ll try to keep it down,” she whispered. The expression on his face was priceless. She gave him a polite smile and retreated into the room, closing the door behind her.

She turned to Twilight, who was standing in the center of the room. “So...” Her voice cracked nervously. She paused, swallowed, and tried again. “So, uh, is everything alright?”

Twilight nodded, then gave the room a quick glance. It was a disaster zone. Random articles of clothing, weapons, potions, scrolls, rappelling gear, first aid kits, and even a few genuinely expensive artifacts littered the floor and available shelves. Sly cursed herself for not cleaning up. Idiot! You knew she would come over at some point!

Twilight bit her lip, looking more nervous by the moment. “I’m sorry to bother you...” she trailed off.

“No, it’s fine. What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing,” she said quickly. “Just, nothing.” At Sly’s raised eyebrow, she continued. “I can’t sleep. It’s silly, I know.”

Sly leaned back a few inches, remembering their nights in the crypt. The times Twilight would bolt awake, covered in sweat, shaking from some nightmare. The times Sly did the same. Oh. Ohhhh...

She shoved her heightened expectations to the back of her mind and gave Twilight a reassuring smile. “It’s not silly,” she said. “Come on. It’ll be just like in the... er, like before.” Neither of them were ready to talk about the crypt yet.

Together they climbed back into the soft, still-warm bed. Twilight drifted off almost immediately. Sly lay awake a while longer, listening to the steady rhythm of Twilight’s breathing. Eventually, the soft pulse of Twilight’s heartbeat against her side and the welcome warmth of her body lulled her to sleep.

***

“Sly?”

Sly started, the memories of the previous night evaporating, replaced with the sun-filled reading room. She spun around to see Twilight looking at her with an amused expression.

“You looked... distracted,” she said.

“Just thinking!” Sly said. “Thinking about...” She glanced around. “Books. Thinking about books.”

“Mhm.” Twilight set her own book down on a table. “Come here.”

Was that an order? Sly balked for a moment, then grumbled to herself and walked over to the table. This would not become a habit, she promised.

Twilight waited for her to arrive and started fussing with her mane. Sly made a few protest sounds, then settled down and let Twilight do as she wished. It wasn’t that bad.

“When Celestia comes in, let me do the talking,” Twilight whispered. Her breath tickled Sly’s ear. “Do not tell her about the jewel. Do not let her know you have it.”

Huh? “Wait. Don’t tell her about it? We spent weeks getting this thing! We almost died for it!”

“One wish per lifetime,” Twilight said. She pulled back far enough to look Sly in the eyes. “Celestia has to do what’s best for the kingdom. The jewel can still be used against the dragons, but not as long as you’re alive.”

Sly froze. Her eyes went wide as the full impact of what Twilight was saying hit her.

“She... no, she wouldn’t do that.”

Twilight looked away. “I love her, Sly, but this is about more than us. She’s a good pony, the best pony I know. I don’t want to dangle the jewel in front of her, and leave your life in the balance.”

“But she wouldn’t really—”

Twilight silenced her with a peck on the lips. Her horn glowed, and the black jewel lifted from its chain around Sly’s neck. She tucked it behind Sly’s mane, out of sight. “Let’s not find out.”

Sly stammered something, and probably would have eventually formed a real sentence, if given enough time. Before she could make any real progress on that front, the arched doors at the far end of the room opened, and a soft pastel light filled the room as Celestia entered.

They both bowed to her. Or rather, Sly bowed, while Twilight pretended to bow, then ran over to her mentor and tossed her forelegs around her neck in a hug. Celestia beamed at her, returning the hug with what looked like real love.

Sly waited a moment, then rose. Twilight still grasped the princess tightly, her eyes scrunched shut. Sly could see her mouth moving, but was too far away to hear whatever she said. Twilight released her hold on the princess’s neck, and together they walked back to Sly. Tears stained Twilight’s face; Celestia wore the same gentle smile as always.

Did you smile when killing dragons? The thought jumped to the front of her mind. She stuffed it back furiously.

“Hello again, Sly,” Celestia said. “I’m glad to see you return to us safely. From what I’m told, you and Twilight had quite the adventure.”

Twilight turned, placing herself between Sly and the princess. “It was, your majesty! We fought a dragon, dozens of draugr, a giant spider, and a lich or two. More than I ever expected.”

Celestia hummed appreciatively. “That’s impressive. And the other thing?”

“Ah...” Twilight paused and licked her lips. “I’m afraid there was no sign of it, princess. We may have to keep looking for references to the jewel. I’ll be glad to get started on it immediately!”

Celestia laughed quietly, filling the room with joy. Even wary as she was, Sly felt her spirits lifting at the sound. “There is no rush, Twilight. Take some time to recover from your hurts, and rest. We will continue our search soon enough.” She tilted her head and smiled at them. “Now, why don’t you join me for lunch? I’m excited to hear all about your trip.”

Twilight bobbed her head, almost foallike in her excitement. Together they walked toward the same door Celestia had entered in. They shared a word, and Twilight bounced ahead of her, nearly floating with joy at seeing her mentor again.

Celestia waited a moment. Once Twilight was through the arch, her horn glowed, and the heavy door swung shut. The princess turned to face Sly and slowly walked back to her.

A tiny icicle of fear stabbed into Sly’s gut. She swallowed nervously and smiled up at the princess.

“Your majesty,” she said, politely.

“Please, relax, Sly. I thought we’d have a little chat.”

Chats were good. Nothing wrong with chatting. Sly nodded her head in agreement.

Celestia took a seat beside her. Even sitting, she towered over Sly. The gentle smile never left her face.

“I understand the two of you became quite close during your trip?”

It was a question, but it really wasn’t. Sly nodded again. “We did. I hope that’s not a problem, your majesty.”

“No, not at all. Twilight never had many friends, and I’m glad to see her making one.”

Right, a friend. The fear faded and Sly’s smile relaxed, becoming more real.

“A very close friend, even,” Celestia continued.

“Very close,” Sly agreed.

“The kind of friend you share a bed with.”

Sirens went off in her head. “It’s not what it sounds like!” she protested. “There were extenuating circumstances! We didn’t do, uh, anything!”

Celestia chuckled quietly. The mirth was infectious, and Sly found herself calming down. “Please do not be alarmed, Sly. You are a good pony, and will be good for her, regardless of how deep your relationship runs.”

Relationship. Sly mouthed the word silently, and found she liked it. A feeling of joy began to build inside of her. Relationship... our relationship!

“On another note,” Celestia broke into her musing, “I couldn’t help but notice Twilight was lying about the jewel.”

Sly’s train of happy thoughts derailed, crashed and burned. “Lying?” she stammered. “Why would she lie to you, princess? She wants to stop the dragons more than anyone.”

Celestia nodded. “You might not be aware of this, Sly, but I raised Twilight from a filly. She is a terrible liar, which I consider to be a very positive trait. Skill at dishonesty is not something to be proud of.”

That was unfair. Sly was about to complain when Celestia fixed her with a piercing look.

“But that leaves the question of... ah, yes, there it is.” Celestia closed her eyes for a moment, her horn glowing with a gentle white light. Sly felt a tug on her mane, and a moment later the jewel floated into the air between them. It hung from its chain, as dark and lifeless as the moment she had made her wish.

One wish per lifetime. Sly shakily rose to her hooves. There were two exits, plus the window. If she caught Celestia by surprise she might be able to reach Twilight. She had no weapons but her Shout. Not the best odds, all things considered.

“Please relax, Sly,” Celestia said. “I remember this weapon too well to want it for myself. It is not worth a single life, no matter how valuable we think the wish might be.”

Sly blinked. “But... the dragons?”

“We will find another way to stop the dragons. Another Dragonborn, perhaps.” She glanced at Sly again. “The last time we put our trust in this jewel to solve our problems, the world nearly ended regardless. I lost my sister, my kingdom... we nearly lost everything.”

Celestia stared into the jewel’s depths, as though able to see the dancing images again. After a moment she closed her eyes and floated it back to Sly, hanging it around her neck. The jewel rested just above her heart.

“Keep it safe,” Celestia warned. “We are not the only ponies who know about the jewel or its limits. If others were to discover that a wish could be in their hooves, at the price of your life...”

Right. Other ponies were not as kind and wise as Celestia. Sly glanced at the jewel nervously.

“But come, let us put aside such dour thoughts,” Celestia said, smiling again. “Lunch awaits.”

Twilight was waiting too, on the other side of the door. Her eyes widened as they walked out, and widened some more when she saw the naked jewel resting against Sly’s chest. She mumbled something to Celestia as the princess passed, then pressed up against Sly’s side.

“I said to keep it hidden!” she hissed. “What are you thinking?!”

Sly shushed her, drawing a satisfyingly aggrieved expression from the librarian. “It’s okay. She knew all along and doesn’t care. Also, she said you could keep sleeping in my bed.”

For once, Twilight had nothing to say. Sly grinned at her, then trotted down the hall toward the promised food. A clatter of hooves on the stone behind her announced Twilight’s recovery and subsequent pursuit.

Sly picked up her pace. Canterlot was a nice city, she decided, and the company wasn’t bad either. A pony could make a good living here. A Dragonborn could, too.

Twilight caught her as they reached the dining room. A sharp glare suggested Sly would be paying for that comment later.

That was fine. For now, lunch called, and she was happy to answer.

- The Wind Thief -

A Tale of the Dragonborn