• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 1,153 Views, 17 Comments

An Undead Test of Friendship - Muffinlover4



The MLP crew must survive long enough through zombies to see each other again

  • ...
4
 17
 1,153

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Dear Princess Celestia,

It has been about 6 weeks since the infection leaked from D.C, and brought chaos to America. We let the little ones and Granny Smith gather their things and ship out on the convoy to meet Big Macintosh in Los Angeles; our next destination. The seven of us have been busy gathering what we could take with us to the safe zone the government set up in L.A. and it has taken a toll on our spirits. The house that everyone has been living in has been holding up, but we are running low on supplies and we must get the safe-zone as soon as we can. We all have complete faith that we will make it alright, but . . . It’s just that Denver isn’t the best starting point. At least Colorado isn’t as heavily populated once we head west, so we shouldn’t have too much trouble. Rainbow Dash keeps insisting that we all take a gun with us for our protection. Normally, I would have banned the very thought, but under these circumstances we don’t have a choice. The infected aren’t exactly the type to negotiate with and are stronger than us. Not stronger than guns of course, but we still need to be wary. We will hopefully be able to see you soon Princess. I know you’re helping everyone else in L.A., and we can’t wait to see you. The whole world just feels safer around you. Spike and I will be sure to send a letter as often as time permits.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle


Setting the pen down on her desk, Twilight ran a hand through her purple and pink hair and let out an exasperated sigh. This was going to be a difficult trek, and her organizational skills were a key component of their departure plans. Even though their situation was grim, her hope never faltered and her friends proved themselves on multiple occasions. She just had a hard time believing in herself. “Okay, let’s see here. Write a letter to the princess; check. Pack the car and find enough gas; difficult, but check. Medicine; oh crap.” Twilight had forgotten about her medicine. Through all the discord and chaos, she completely forgot to pack her medicine. Now if only she could find the sneaky little-

“Um, Twilight?” the voice broke through Twilight’s concentration and she turned from her desk and saw Fluttershy occupying the doorway. Wearing a sensible yellow dress, her soft, green eyes were framed by her flowing pink hair.

“Hey Fluttershy, what’s going on? Is everything alright?” Twilight was always pleased to see her quiet friend. She needed a gentle face and voice to help ease her always-computing mind.

“I found this and it had your name on it. So, um, I was wondering if you needed it” she said handing over and orange bottle with a white top.

“My medicine! Oh Fluttershy, thank you, thank you, thank you! You have no idea how stressed out I was that I had lost this.”

“Oh, well, you’re welcome” Fluttershy said through blushing cheeks. Twilight looked at the bottle and shook it. 6 capsules. Enough for 3 days; which was the estimated time it should take for their journey. Twilight would have to cut it close, but she had confidence that her planning would be worthwhile. As Twilight began to speak, an enormous thud echoed from upstairs. Twilight swiftly nabbed the shotgun she was forced to now keep behind the door, and motioned for Fluttershy to follow close behind her. They crept up the stairs and were greeted by another, louder clang coming from the bathroom down the hall. Fearing that an infected had entered the house unnoticed, Twilight’s mind started racing to formulate strategies and escape plans. She heard a whimper from behind, and grasped Fluttershy’s hand to assure her that she was safe with Twilight. Inching closer to the bathroom, items were being flung willy-nilly out the door and into the hall. Twilight was feet away now, and the noise and motions suddenly halted. Twilight turned the corner, aimed, and-

“Twilight Sparkle! What in heavens are you doing with that wretched weaponry?!” a regal voiced cried from the bathroom.

“Rarity?! What in the hell are you doing stomping around and scaring the life out of everyone?” Twilight swiftly retorted.

“If you must know, I was looking for my hair ribbon that I received from my mother who got it as a present from my grandmother and so on. It’s the most important accessory I own and I wouldn’t be caught dead without it. Ah! Here it is” she proclaimed as she withdrew an ivory white ribbon encrusted with a single, cubic sapphire. A rare gem indeed and the sunlight danced when it passed through its almost transparent mass. She tied her dark blue hair back and admired herself as she made poses in the mirror.

“Rarity, what am I going to do with you?” Twilight sighed.

A voice boomed, “You could send her back to her fancy, girly, fru-fru college she was too good for.” The group looked to see their friend Rainbow Dash smirking at her own wit. Her naturally colored, rainbow hair was loose and messy as it fell just below her shoulders.

“Rainbow. That wasn’t very nice. You should say sorry, I mean, if that’s alright with you. . .” mumbled Fluttershy.

“Aw cool it, I was just joshin. Aint that right Ms. Ivy League?” Rainbow Dash joked.

“At least I can be a lady. Ms. Tennis shoes” Rarity retorted.

“Will you two quit yer sqaukin? You two are worse than the roosters at sunrise” said Applejack with an even Southern drawl. Sporting her signature orange plaid shirt, Applejack sauntered down the hall. “We best get a move on if we want to make it to L.A. in time gals.” They all looked at each other and realized that standing around talking wasn’t doing much. As they headed downstairs to load up the Jeep, they were surprised to see balloons, streamers, and a crudely made “Going Away” sign hastily hung above the doorway.

“SURPRISE!” a bubbly voice exclaimed. A big pair of blue eyes shone behind cotton candy pink hair, and Pinkie Pie beamed as she admired her friend’s reactions.

Twilight asked, “Pinkie Pie? What is all this?”

She answered, “Well it’s our going away party silly!” Pinkie hopped over to the dining room where she had an assortment of food, drinks, and treats laid out for her friends to devour.

“Pinkie. You know we were supposed to be headed out soon. We need to meet the Princess as soon as possible. I don’t know if this is the right. . .” Twilight trailed off as her eyes met a pair of puppy dog eyes unlike any she had ever seen.

“But Twilight Sparkle! I made all this wonderfully terrific food just for you all because I’m going to miss this place. Yeah, it’s old, dusty, boarded up, scary at night, boring by day, and a constant battle to watch for infected, but it’s ours” she protested. Twilight thought for a second and looked around at her friends.

“Well, we might as well not let this food go to waste. I mean look at the . . . fine décor and delectable . . . entrees?” chimed Rarity.

“Okay guys, but we need to make sure we head out before sundown” said Twilight. The group cheered and hastily set up to enjoy their time together. So, the six had a wonderful meal full of joking, reminiscence, and bonding. These fleeting, innocent moments would be the last that the group would experience for a time to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grunting, Spike hauled suitcases into the car. “I don’t understand why girls have so much stuff that they can’t say goodbye to. It’s ridiculous that we can barely squeeze into the car with all these things. Oh, and next time there’s a feast downstairs, feel free to wake me up Twi.” Twilight just smiled as she helped Spike load up and prepare for departure.

“Maybe you’ll understand one day mister. But for now, you’re still just a kid and you don’t know everything yet. Even though you act like it sometimes” she said jokingly.

As he shoved yet another handbag into the back of the car, he sighed “I am sixteen years old Twi, and I think that’s old enough to be treated like an adult.” He pouted as the last of the belongings were carted into the car and he closed the back gate.

“It’s alright there little fella’. Yer sure to be a big, strong man like Big Macintosh someday” added Applejack as she exited the house to get settled in the car right away. The rest of the group took one last look at the tattered, old house that gave them shelter for the past month and a half before all piling into the car.

“Bye, bye house! We’ll miss ya!” shouted Pinkie Pie as they sped away from the humble abode. A wave of relief swept across the passengers as they all silently surveyed the town one last time. “Closed until further notice” signs strewn across most of the businesses, the occasional blood spatter on the wall or ground, and a tone of gloom defined the town.

Rainbow sighed, “I miss when this town was nice and bright and bustling with people. It’s so dressing to just see everything all grey and musty, ya know?” As Rainbow glanced towards the sky, she saw something that wasn’t quite right. A mass was traveling downwards swiftly towards the ground and gradually gained shape, size, and-
“Oh my god…” said Rainbow Dash. “Twilight! Pull over now!!!” Twilight pulled off to the side of the road immediately and spun around.

“What?? What is it?!” Rainbow pointed to the object and stillness swept through the air. It was a bomb.

“What in tarnation is goin on?!” screamed Applejack.

Rarity said, “That can’t possibly be a b-b-bomb can it?” She nervously glanced around at everyone and they were glued to the impossible vision before them.

“Hold on girls. Let me see if there’s anything on the radio” Twilight said as she skimmed the stations.

“KSSSSHHH – government has ignored the pleas of the town that we are indeed secure enough to not become a threat to the rest of the general public. They . . . They said that there was no other choice and that they are deeply sorry for what they have to do. This is Nicholas Androes signing off for the last time. Goodbye, and thanks for listening to 70.9 KCFM.” Staring at each other, not a member made a sound for what remained an eternity.

“I jus don’t believe it y’all. . . After all we’ve been through, it just aint fair to have it end up like this” Applejack softly spoke. They all glanced around the group and silently recognized the entirety of the situation. There was no way they could reach a safe house in time, and they had no fallout equipment. They were singularly helpless.

“Don’t worry girls. We. . . We had such an amazing friendship. Every moment of the laughter, smiles, tears, fears. I always have been, and always will be grateful that I met all of you” Pinkie Pie said through misty eyes.

Rainbow Dash said through soft sobs, “Yeah guys. It’s been fun. I guess we’ll have to see what happens on the other side.”

“Yes. We must remain strong and I’m sure everything will be all right. I owe so much to you girls” Rarity sweetly spoke.

Fluttershy and Spike just stood there in silence and gazed upon the group with innocently afraid eyes.

“Thanks for all that you’ve taught me. Every single one of you helped shape me into the woman I am today. Teaching me how to make friends and have the time of my life with them. I could never thank all of you enough” Twilight stated confidently as usual. Without another word, she stopped the stream of harsh reality overflowing from her eyes. Motioning for her friends, her family, she had them gather round for a group embrace. As the warmth of their hearts touched one another and collected into a mass of love, Twilight began to feel weak. She opened her eyes and saw that a purplish hue had attached itself to everything around her and she felt a great force emanating from her arms. As she looked down, the ground met her halfway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------