• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 3,130 Views, 159 Comments

Repercussions - GaryOak



None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.

  • ...
22
 159
 3,130

Chapter III - The Masticore

Chapter III
The Masticore
===============

The deafening sound of falling rocks in the tunnel below created by the creature masked Twilight's cries within seconds. “I'm comin, Twi!” yelled Applejack. Before anypony could stop her, she dove headfirst into the hole.

“Applejack!” cried Rarity in alarm, peering as far as she dared into the hole. She turned to face Greyhoof, desperation written on her face. “What do we do?”

“We go in after them,” said Greyhoof earnestly. He took a step toward the hole and prepared to leap in after Applejack, but paused when he noticed that Rarity was frozen in place. “Well? What are you waiting for?”

Rarity blanched. “Surely you're not suggesting we charge headlong after them?” she babbled. “No, no, no, no, no! We need a plan, a strategy, something!”

Greyhoof glared at Rarity, his burning eyes causing the mare to flinch as they bored into her own. “There's no time!” he shouted, his voice reverberating around them. “If that creature is what I think it is, both Twilight and Applejack are going to die if we don't get moving.”

Without another word, Greyhoof followed Applejack's lead and plunged into the tunnel, leaving Rarity alone in the cavern. She bit her lip and frantically looked around her, the light provided by Greyhoof quickly disappearing down the tunnel below. Rarity's expression hardened with resolve as she closed her eyes – not that it made any difference in the pitch-black chamber – and jumped.

Rarity plummeted down the long, wide tunnel, reaching unknown depths beneath the surface. Just when she was sure that the steep tunnel would never end, she shot out of it and landed hard on her rump in the middle of a massive cavern. She slowly got up and gingerly rubbed her bruised rump. Noticing a faint light in the distance, Rarity galloped toward it as quickly as she could.

“Wait for me!” she yelled, chasing the light as it rounded a bend in the tunnel. It wasn't long before she had caught up to Greyhoof, who had halted to allow Rarity to catch up. “Where's Applejack?” she panted.

Greyhoof's eyes flicked deeper down the passage before them. “She must've gone ahead of us. Hurry!”

Rarity and Greyhoof charged down the tunnel at top speed until they heard the sound of another set of galloping hooves. Not too far ahead of them, Applejack came into view, her pace slowed by the lack of visibility. Quickening their pace, they soon fell into step with her.

“'Bout time y'all caught up,” greeted Applejack gruffly. “There's no time to waste! That creature could be doin' who-knows-what to Twi!”

Greyhoof looked at Applejack as he drew parallel with her, his eyes ablaze like wildfire. “Did you catch a glimpse of the creature that took Twilight?”

Applejack frowned as she continued to stare determinedly ahead. “Not really, but I saw it going down this tunnel. I was tryin' to follow the light from the torch in its mouth, but it got too far ahead.” She paused for a few seconds. “I don't know what it was, but it was big. Very big.”

Greyhoof looked grim. “I have my suspicions. If they're correct, making it out of here alive will be no simple task.” He quickened his pace, galloping faster than even Applejack. “Well, I think we now know the reason why the platinum veins within this cave have remained untapped for so long.”

“Yes,” gasped a wide-eyed Rarity, forcing the words out between breaths, “that's why the tunnels are so huge!”

A faint scream in the distance interrupted their haphazard conversation. Greyhoof's ears stiffened. “Hold on, Twilight!” he shouted. “We're coming!”

Rarity, Applejack, and Greyhoof noticed a new light source flickering ahead of them. As the passage took a sharp turn, Rarity beheld a sight that caused her to let loose what would've been a scream, but her fear was so great that only an almost inaudible squeak escaped her throat. The three ponies came to a grinding halt inside the largest cavern they'd entered yet, blazing torches, ringing the walls.

A pair of immense clawed hands clutched a stone mound in the centre of the cavern – the same hands that had snatched Twilight. “So, the prey seeks the predator...” boomed the creature. “A most intriguing, yet delicious reversal of roles.” Its long, blue scorpion-like tail swished from side to side, its burnished gold stinger that matched its claws glinting in the torchlight.

“I... I know what you are...” said Greyhoof, his voice shaking. “You're a masticore!”

Applejack looked uneasily at Greyhoof. “A what now?”

Greyhoof didn't take his eyes off the three-mouthed lion's head while he responded to Applejack, staring intently into its blood-red eyes. “It is a distant cousin of the manticore, but I would rather have found a whole nest of manticores than one of these,” he said. “Their existence was supposed to be nothing more than a myth. In the old stories, ponies who did not run away were usually crushed, stung, or eaten.”

The masticore huffed in amusement. “It would seem that you are more knowledgeable than the average pony.” Greyhoof cautiously edged his way to the right as the masticore spoke. “A pity it won't save you.”

“Twilight!” shouted Greyhoof as he spotted her far behind the masticore, bound to the far wall of the cavern with a crude piece of rope that hung around her neck like a noose. “What have you done to her?”

The masticore licked its lips with two of his mouths while speaking with the third. “She will be of no use to you.”

Rarity gulped and darted behind a small rock, trying to get a good look at Twilight from her tiny piece of cover. Being the only one to stand her ground, Applejack glared at the masticore defiantly, as if she could intimidate the much larger creature. “You. Let. Her. Go. Or. Else!” she threatened through gritted teeth.

The masticore laughed. It was a deep rumbling sound that felt like it shook the entire cavern. “Or else what, my little ponies?” All three of its mouths now bore the same feral grin. “It has been far too long since I have had fresh meat.” Its burnished gold lion's mane ruffled. “I shall savour this meal.”

In a flash, the masticore lunged forward at Greyhoof. Reacting in the nick of time, he ducked a deadly swipe of its claws. The masticore thrust his stinger at Greyhoof with lightning speed. With little chance of dodging in time, Greyhoof projected a small barrier of light blue energy. The stinger bounced off the magical shield, striking the floor beside him, loudly splintering a rock. Gritting his teeth, Greyhoof's horn shimmered once again as he began to muster his powers offensively. His foe was too quick; as soon as the masticore spotted the energy coalescing around Greyhoof, it viciously backhanded him in the side of the head. The blow sent Greyhoof crashing heavily into the wall of the cavern.

The masticore raised one of its hands, preparing his coup de grace, all of its mouths sneering triumphantly. Applejack's eyes widened in desperation as she charged toward the fight. When she came within a couple of feet of the monstrous creature, she spun around and kicked it in the stomach with both of her hind legs with enough force to fell a large apple tree. The blow merely caused the masticore to sway slightly to the side, grunting with pain as it turned its attention to Applejack.

Although her attack had barely left a mark, it had served its purpose. Using the lapse in the masticore's concentration, Greyhoof stood back up and prepared his counterattack, coughing up blood as he did so. The few seconds of buildup that he required passing by undetected. The masticore charged at Applejack, but before it could strike, it found itself enveloped by an immense field of magical energy. Despite Greyhoof's best efforts, it was only enough to slow the beast.

“Rarity, don't just sit there, do something!” Applejack shouted as she readied herself for another charge.

Rarity, looking on in horror from behind her small rock, stood paralyzed with fear. Her friends were in danger and she had no idea how to help them. Greyhoof's magical capabilities far exceeded her own and they proved to be more of an annoyance than an actual threat to the blue behemoth. Even Applejack's might, wrought from years of applebucking, could hardly even faze the creature. What could she possibly do? Her fear turned to panic as she saw the masticore turn around and slowly make its way toward Greyhoof, drawing closer inch by inch.

“I – can't – hold – it – off – forever!” grunted Greyhoof. “Free – Twilight!”

Shivering, Rarity gulped audibly. “Okay, here goes nothing!” she told herself before galloping full-tilt across the chamber. She may not have been able to help, but if there was anypony capable of tipping the scales in their favour, it was Twilight. Rarity leapt to the wall where the rope hung. Igniting her horn, she sliced through the bonds like a knife. Twilight's eyes remained closed.

Rarity shook her. “Twilight! Twilight!” Then she noticed the sizable cut on her side. “Oh, Twilight, what happened to you?” Tears began welling up in her eyes when she saw that Twilight wasn't moving. “This is all my fault! If I hadn't insisted we come down here to get my stupid platinum, this would never have happened!”

Twilight's eyes fluttered slightly open. “R-Rarity?” she mumbled. “That you?”

“Twilight, you're okay!” Rarity hugged her fiercely.

Twilight looked at Rarity weakly. “Stung,” she said. “Stung me when it took me. Can barely move...”

“We need your help!” urged Rarity, helping her friend to her hooves. “Greyhoof's magic alone isn't enough. I mean he's quite good, but he's no ursa-defeating unicorn like you are!”

Twilight steadied herself and looked over at the masticore as he drew closer to Greyhoof. She closed her eyes and reached for her reserves of power, but found nothing there. “My – my magic!” she cried in alarm. “Gone!”

It was all Rarity could do to prevent herself from fainting. “Gone? What do you mean, gone?”

Suddenly, Twilight collapsed, clutching her side in pain. “The sting! Something inside of me – sapping my strength –” Twilight winced. “Rarity... it's all up to you...”

Rarity closed her eyes and clenched her teeth as she concentrated with every fibre of her being. She began to feel the power welling within her, but as she drew near the limits of her reserves, her heart sank. This... isn't anywhere nearly enough... what can I do? she desperately thought. She opened her eyes and saw a ball of light blue energy crackling from the tip of her horn. Frantically scanning the chamber, Rarity's eyes fixed on a sizable boulder on the other side. Focusing her energy, she manipulated the loose magic and used it like a lasso. The boulder hurtled across the cavern, directly at the masticore's head. It was unable to evade the rock or ready a defense – thanks to being still encumbered by Greyhoof's spell – and the boulder struck home, splitting into dozens of pieces from the impact. The masticore cried out in pain as its ability to resist Greyhoof's magic was momentarily cut, allowing the spell to tighten its grip like a vice.

Greyhoof continued to maintain his spell, his face drenched with sweat from the exertion. “Strike now, Applejack, while it is weakened!”

Applejack didn't need to be told twice. She barreled at the masticore, her eyes narrowed with determination. Leaping into the air, she spun around and delivered a tremendous blow with her back legs. It proved too much for the masticore. Aided by Greyhoof's magic, the attack sent it flying into the wall beside him, creating a great spiderweb of cracks originating from the point of impact.

Exhaling loudly, Greyhoof released his magic, closing his eyes as he tried to recover from the immense strain. Shaking himself, he opened them again and spotted another passage leading out of the masticore's lair. “Quickly, take Twilight and go down that tunnel!” he commanded, pointing to it. “I'll hold it off!”

Carrying Twilight on her back, Rarity trotted to where Applejack was standing. “You... you have to come with us,” Twilight implored.

“That can't happen!” Greyhoof countered. He pointed at the fallen masticore, who was slowly clawing its way back to its feet. “This battle is far from over.”

“Then let us all fight it, together, as friends!” pleaded Twilight, sliding off Rarity's back and trying to stand on her hooves. She would have fallen from the effort had Applejack not caught her.

Greyhoof shook his head solemnly. “You are in no condition to fight,” he said, his voice almost unnervingly calm. He turned around and looked at Twilight, his eyes smoldering like a bonfire that had recently been doused. “You can't even stand up on your own, let alone run. You'll need to be carried, and Rarity will have enough trouble running on her own without additional weight. Applejack cannot possibly stand against such a creature without magic. I am the only suitable candidate to remain behind.” He looked down at the ground with regret. “Besides... it was I who said that we come down this particular passage. It is only right that I'll be the one to buy you time.” Greyhoof spun around as he heard the masticore growl ominously behind him. “What are you waiting for? Get out of here! NOW!

Applejack lifted Twilight on to her back and turned around, facing the tunnel that Greyhoof had indicated. “Ya heard him...”

“What?” cried Twilight and Rarity in protest.

“We can't just leave him!” shouted Twilight, flailing weakly from atop Applejack.

Applejack blinked back tears as she galloped toward the tunnel, Rarity following close behind her. “We've got no choice!”

As the three ponies reached the entrance to the new tunnel, Rarity yanked one of the blazing torches from the wall and they took off. The steadily fading sounds of combat could be heard above their loud hoof-falls as they galloped down the immense passage. The whole time, Twilight had her face buried in her hooves and was quietly sobbing. “G-Greyhoof...” she choked, her voice muffled by her own hooves.

Twilight continued to ride on Applejack's back while she and Rarity put as much distance between themselves and the masticore as possible. A combination of guilt and the masticore's venom made her writhe in pain. I can't believe we abandoned him... If he couldn't defeat that... that thing with our help, then what chance does he stand on his own? What kind of a friend am I if I just left him to die? Applejack and Rarity came to an abrupt halt, cutting into her miserable thoughts. Twilight lowered her hooves to see what had caused them to stop, and when she did, her jaw fell open.

Rarity smiled for the first time in hours. “Platinum!”

“There – there's gotta be enough of the stuff to decorate all of Canterlot!” said Applejack in a awed, hushed tone.

“This must be the masticore's hoard!” Rarity squealed in delight. “It's so beautiful! Look, there are even piles of it just laying here! I don't even need to mine them!”

“Well... you've got what you came for...” sobbed Twilight.

Rarity's smile vanished. She opened her saddlebags and took all the platinum she needed from the masticore's hoard. Rarity had achieved what she had come down here to do, but now she felt like she was robbing Greyhoof's grave. It only took Rarity a few seconds to fill her bags and fasten them shut once again. She motioned toward another tunnel leading out of the chamber. “Let's get out of here.”

Applejack patted Twilight gently, trying to bring her out of her grief. “Look, sugarcube, Greyhoof did what he felt was right. Who knows – maybe he's got a plan to make it out or somethin'.”

Twilight gave Applejack a hug made awkward by her position on her back. “I hope you're right...”

Applejack eyed Rarity's saddlebags suspiciously. “Ya ain't gonna be able to move too quickly with those.”

“Well, hopefully I won't need to,” said Rarity, picking up the torch once more. “Now come on!”

Once again, the ponies were off, moving as quickly as they could, considering their heavy burdens. The dreary tunnel stretched on for what seemed like miles, its twists and turns masking its true length and direction. Eventually, they came upon another huge cavern, this one riddled with other tunnels.

“Which one do we take?” Applejack scratched her head.

“Try to find one that goes up. With any luck, it'll lead us back up top,” Twilight offered.

Rarity was already scampering to a nearby tunnel. “Excellent idea, Twilight!”

Applejack and Rarity split up, poking their heads into tunnel after tunnel, none of which seemed promising. Eventually, Rarity cried out in triumph. Applejack rushed over to where she was standing, and sure enough, the tunnel before sloped up sharply. Their progress was considerably slower than before, which was understandable given the addition of the incline to their heavy loads.

It was not long before Twilight voiced what they had all been thinking. “I hope Greyhoof made it...”

“Didn't he say he's spent his whole life roughin' it and studyin' magic and whatnot?” Applejack asked with as much optimism as she could. “That's gotta count for somethin', right?”

Twilight shivered involuntarily. I hope Applejack's right... she thought gloomily. But I can never forgive myself if he can't escape. What kind of plan could he possibly have? If he gets hit even once by that stinger, he's done for. Twilight shivered again. She couldn't explain it, but the thought of losing Greyhoof – a pony whom she had just met – conjured up feelings deep within her that she had only felt once before. This... this is just like what I thought I had lost all of my friends forever at the hands of Discord... She cherished all of her friendships greatly, and despite the short amount of time they'd spent together, this one was no different; for the first time in her life, she had met a pony that was every bit as magic and knowledge obsessed as she was. Not only were their interests nearly identical, she even found a bit of herself in him. Or rather, what she might have been in five years had she not experienced the magic of friendship. It was then she realized that not everypony was as lucky as she was to have somepony as wise and gentle as the Princess to give her a push in the right direction.

“It feels like we're rats in a maze,” whined Rarity some time later.

They'd lost track of time in the tunnels, the monotony of their trek occasionally broken by a cavern with yet more tunnels. Even Applejack ignored Rarity's complaint and pressed on as if nothing had happened. On and on they trudged, through tunnel after tunnel, cavern after cavern.

“We're going to die in here, aren't we?” said Rarity in despair after entering what felt like the twentieth new cavern.

Die... The word deeply resonated within Twilight. I've left him to die. She felt as if this thought had been branded into her with a white-hot iron. If she made it through this alive, when would she forgive herself for what they had done? Could she forgive herself? I'm lauded as the Element of Magic, forged from the power of friendship. How can I embody the magic of friendship after what I've done? How can I call myself a good friend? Twilight felt the bitter taste of bile in her mouth. She spent the next several minutes picturing scenario after scenario of Greyhoof fighting a hopeless battle against the masticore, each ending in a death more gruesome than the last.

Twilight was once again consumed by her thoughts, completely oblivious to her surroundings and the bumpiness of riding on Applejack's back. In spite of the relative comfort of her method of transportation, Twilight's coat was matted with sweat. Whether it was feverish symptoms brought on by the masticore's venom or the stuffiness of the tunnels, she did not know. Eventually, Rarity's wail of despair jarred her back to reality when they entered yet another large cavern.

“Oh, be quiet,” Applejack muttered barely loud enough for only Twilight to hear.

Twilight would have normally reprimanded her friend for her almost silent outburst, but she felt far too addled to worry about such things. Sliding off Applejack's back, Twilight hoped to relieve her of her burden, at least for a short while. “I'm not sure how much further I can make it,” she said a few minutes later. The masticore's venom was steadily sapping her strength, causing her to feel lightheaded. Twilight suddenly tripped over a pile of rocks near the entrance to one of the tunnels. She stared at it for a moment, refusing to believe what she was seeing. “Girls, come quick!”

Applejack rushed to her side, helping her back to her hooves. “Are you okay, sugarcube?” she asked with concern.

“What is it?” inquired Rarity, joining the other two ponies.

Twilight pointed to the familiar pile of rocks. “Look!”

Applejack's eyes widened. “Is that?”

“It is!” Twilight smiled and would have fallen over if Applejack hadn't caught and steadied her. “We've almost made it!”

Applejack lowered herself, inviting Twilight to climb onto her back. “I think it'd be a good idea if you let me carry you again, Twi.”

Twilight nodded gratefully and silently got back on. When Applejack was sure she wouldn't fall off, she rose to her full height and began trudging back through a somewhat familiar tunnel. The ponies' hearts steadily rose as they drew closer and closer to the end of the seemingly endless tunnels. Finally, when they rounded one final bend, there it was. Light. Glorious, refreshing light. The ponies all blinked as their eyes struggled to adjust to it, despite the day quickly giving way to nightfall. Twilight, momentarily forgetting the poison coursing through her veins, leapt off Applejack and shambled down the mountainside with the others as they rushed toward the balloon with reckless abandon.

Once they reached the balloon, however, Twilight's ailment returned with full force. “Greyhoof...” She collapsed on the ground.

Applejack removed her hat and held it to her chest, her eyes downcast and ears drooping. “I'm sorry, Twi... there's nothing any of us could've done.”

Rarity clambered into the balloon and solemnly removed her bulging saddlebags, setting them on the basket's floor. “Oh, I wish I was even close to as good with magic as you and him...” she lamented.

Twilight struggled back to her hooves, unaided by Applejack this time. “Where are you going?” she demanded of Rarity.

“Home. We need to get out of here.”

“No you don't,” said Twilight flatly. “We're searching.”

“Twilight...” Rarity remained in the balloon basket, her voice pleading. “Just look at the state you're in. You've been poisoned. You can barely even walk. We need to get you to a hospital, Twilight.”

It took almost every ounce of strength Twilight had left to stay standing. She gritted her teeth. “No. Don't you get it? Greyhoof sacrificed himself for us. For you. For your platinum.” She stared down Rarity through heavy-lidded eyes. “We aren't leaving without him.”

Applejack gently put a hoof around Twilight's body, steadying her. “She's right, Rarity.”

Rarity's gaze moved from Twilight's eyes, which were now nothing more than slits, to her legs, which looked to be on the verge of buckling. She cast her head downward as her eyes filled with tears, and she gave a silent nod in acquiescence as she moved to get out of the balloon. Rarity leapt to the ground and landed elegantly beside Twilight and Applejack. Taking a deep breath, she resolutely marched toward the mountain.

“Not that way,” Twilight called after her. “Remember how many tunnels there were? There might be a hidden entrance we missed.”

“Where should we start?” asked Applejack.

Taking a few unsteady steps away from her supporter, Twilight moved toward the mountain. “The base of the path upwards should be a good place to start. Check under foliage first.”

“Do you need me to carry ya again, sugarcube?” asked Applejack.

Twilight stayed her slow but steady course. “I'll be fine.” She looked back at Applejack's concerned face. “Really. Don't worry about me.”

The ponies began circling the small mountain, their search made gradually more difficult by the rapidly fading sunlight until Rarity lit her horn. Their spirits steadily dropped as they came closer to a full circuit of it, with neither another tunnel nor Greyhoof anywhere to be found. The loud chirping of crickets reminded them of just how long they had been on this expedition.

When the balloon came into view, Twilight fell to the ground as if she had been struck. “Greyhoof...”

“It's no use, Twi, we have to get you back to Ponyville,” insisted Applejack desperately. “I know we can't just leave Grey on his own, but you might die if we stay out here too much longer.” Applejack paused for a moment, fighting to hold back tears. “I – I won't lose two good ponies today.”

Applejack helped Twilight up yet again. When she looked into her face, Applejack felt tears roll uncontrollably down her cheeks. The look on Twilight's was not only one of pain, misery, and despair, but one of deep loss. Applejack hugged her and sank to her knees, both of them crying uncontrollably. Rarity only stood in place, staring at the ground.

“So... everypony made it out alright. I'm glad.”

Everypony froze from the sound of the voice. When they looked up, they saw a bright light emanating from the horn of Greyhoof. Choking in disbelief, Twilight wiped away her tears and ran at him, her limbs filled with a fresh surge of vitality. She wordlessly embraced him, waves of relief coursing through her. Greyhoof, taken aback by Twilight's sudden outburst of affection, tentatively returned her embrace, gently patting her on the back.

“Where in the hay did you come from?” demanded Applejack in astonishment. “We thought you were –”

Greyhoof released Twilight and gently levitated her into the balloon. “We need to get back to Ponyville at once. I can explain while we're en route.”

Greyhoof, Applejack, and Rarity climbed into the basket beside Twilight. His horn shimmered as the balloon refilled with hot air and began to climb into the night sky. Breathing a sigh of relief, Greyhoof looked worriedly at Twilight, who had passed out.

Rarity involuntarily took a step back when she inspected Greyhoof, taking note of his appearance. “Oh, Greyhoof, you poor dear! You're hurt!”

“Never mind that now.” Greyhoof looked solemnly at Rarity, his eyes burning like the torches in the masticore's lair. “After the three of you had escaped, the masticore was ready for a second round. Obviously, he was full of confidence now that it was just him and me, not to mention the frustration of having been deprived of a feast. He came at me with everything he had. The slashes of his claws were merely a distraction so he could hit me with his tail. If that thing so much as grazed me, I was finished. It took every trick I knew to evade him.” Greyhoof remained stone-faced during his entire recount.

“Evade him?” asked Applejack, taking a good look at the dried blood matting parts of his coat and various open wounds.

Greyhoof winced in pain. “Evade is a relative term. I wouldn't be lying if I said these gashes hurt a great deal, but they were only glancing blows. If that beast actually hit me even once, I'd have been cut to ribbons.”

“Boy howdy...” breathed Applejack, beginning to realize just how serious the wounds were. “How did ya fend him off? I don't know much about magic or nothin', but ya must've been tired after what you did back there.”

“I was,” said Greyhoof, tearing off a piece of his cloak near his neck and tying it around a particularly large cut. “I think I have you to thank for my life, Applejack.”

“Huh?”

“When you sent the masticore crashing into the wall, I think it gave him a concussion. When the fight resumed, his blows were much less accurate and far more clumsy were at the start of the battle.” Taking a deep breath, Greyhoof continued. “Although I could relatively escape harm – for the moment – he and I both knew that I was no match for him. Left with no other choice, I fled down the nearest tunnel. Unfortunately, all of them are large enough to accommodate a behemoth of his size with room to spare. It turns out that masticores are swift runners.” He allowed himself a humourless chuckle. “When it became apparent that he would overtake me, I did the last thing I could think of. I turned around and blasted the ceiling of the tunnel with everything I had, causing a massive cave-in.”

Rarity gasped audibly and held her hooves to her muzzle. “You could've been killed!”

Greyhoof shot Rarity a regretful glance. “Do you think I had any other choice? Luckily for me, the rocks fell on the masticore and spared me from harm. I highly doubt the beast perished, but at the very least it bought me ample time to escape. I was immediately faced with another crisis: I was completely lost, having galloped headlong down an unknown passage. I made the best time I could, hoping that you had not left without me.”

Applejack looked at the sleeping Twilight and gave her an affectionate smile. “You have Twi to thank for that.”

Greyhoof's expression softened as he allowed a smile to creep onto his lips. “I am most grateful. Now, Rarity, did you at least get what we came for?”

Patting the overfilled saddlebags, Rarity nodded. “There's plenty for the entirety of Hoity Toity's order, with an ample surplus!”

Unceremoniously collapsing, Greyhoof closed his eyes. “Good,” he said, passing out.