• Published 26th Dec 2011
  • 3,729 Views, 254 Comments

Perquisition - Diexna



They don't know how or why they got to this strange world, but some of the ponies intend to find ou

  • ...
7
 254
 3,729

Chapter 12

Perquisition

Chapter 12

Warm water was slowly trickling from the tap into the bathtub. As it did so, it dissolved the bath salts that Sketch had 'borrowed' from one of the supply closets, which were filled with almost anything a pony would need to live comfortably for a while. Too comfortably, in her opinion; she took it upon to herself to remedy this by relieving them of some of the more superfluous ones.

As the tub was filling, she tried to force a comb through her blonde hair and tail. The knots, mud, dirt and the occasional twig turned it into a painful chore rather than just the morning routine she was used to.

After pulling out a few long strands of hair by accident, she gave up until she could at least get the majority of the muck out of it. Putting the soiled brush aside, she stepped into the tub, allowing the hot soapy water to embrace her legs as she slowly began to sink into it.

Aaaaahhh...” she slowly let out with a tired sigh. “I so needed this.”

The green pony let the water sink into her coat for a few minutes at first before doing anything. She playfully poked some of the bubbles while enjoying the bath.

As she began to let out another hearty sigh, somepony knocked at the door.

“Sketch?” a male voice called out. She recognized it as Kickbolt’s. “Could you hurry it up in there? There’s only one tub and we’d also like to use it.”

She groaned, allowing half of her face to sink into the water before correcting her posture again. “Fine, I’ll be out soon enough.”

Hoofsteps could be heard walking away from the other side of the door. “Good, just don’t hog all of the warm water.” The walking stopped, and she could hear him taking a few steps back again. “By the way, somepony came by a moment ago and left us some food, and she asked if there was anything we needed?”

Jumping out of the bath, she grabbed a towel and threw it around her body. “I almost forgot! Hold on.” She opened the door, still dripping wet. “Is she still here? I need to ask something.”

“Uh, yeah,” Kickbolt replied. “She’s just outside.” He peeked past her, into the bathroom. “Are you--”

Sketch walked past him, still drying herself with the towel. “Yeah yeah, go ahead.”

Moments afterwards the door closed behind her and the pegasus was out of sight. She rolled her eyes as she continued down the hallway towards the entrance. She passed by the kitchen, where Crimson sat with a fruit filled basket, staring at something she didn’t recognize.

As she passed the corner, she picked up a letter she’d left lying on a table in the hall. The next thing she saw was a sky blue mare waiting by the door. She was poking her head inside and examining the interior of the building, smiling as she did so, oblivious to Sketch.

Walking closer, Sketch greeted her. “Hi! Are you the one that came with the food for us?”

Her attention snapping back to in front of her, she nodded hastily. “Yes, that would be me.” She eyed the hallway behind Sketch, blushing slightly. “Sorry, it’s just my first time seeing the inside of one of these houses. We’re still waiting for the bulk of the population-to-be to get here, so several of these houses are still standing empty until further notice. Anyway, I was asked to see if you needed anything?”

“Actually, there is one thing I was hoping we could get some help with,” Sketch answered. She took out the letter, giving it to the deliverymare. “Would it be possible to get this letter sent? To Fourtow, that is.”

“Hmm...” the blue pony said to herself. “As I said, this town hasn’t actually officially become a town yet, so we don’t often receive - or send - post messages yet. But I’ll see what I can do. Maybe somepony is going back to Ever City to ask for more construction materials? Then I could ask them to take this with them. Either way, I’ll have to ask around.”

Sketch nodded. “Thanks, I appreciate it. I think we’re fine now. If anything we could just use some rest.”

The blue earth pony nodded back. “Good to hear! Just try and catch anyone walking by if you need anything. There’s not much work going on today, since everypony’s worried about...” She giggled nervously. “Never mind. Just make yourselves comfortable until tomorrow. Full Bellows should come and see you tomorrow morning.” Suddenly, she turned around on the spot and walked away without saying anything else.

Blinking a few times, Sketch closed the door again after returning inside. She headed back towards the way from which she’d come, and entered the kitchen, accompanying Crimson.

He picked up what looked like a giant blue nut and showed it to her. “Do you k-know what this is? I don’t think I’m familiar with it yet...”

The earth pony grabbed it to examine it more closely. “I’ve never seen anything like this. It is food, right?”

He motioned towards the basket filled with fruit. “It c-came with those, but that what’s c-caught my eye.”

She tried biting it, but quickly spat it out and grimaced. “Ugh, too hard. I wonder how you open it?” Without waiting for an answer, she began to bang it against the corner of the table, splitting it in half. “Well that was easier than I thought.”

Crimson levitated the two pieces back into the air, the hard shells concealed a soft purple mass within, with a few black dots - seeds - scattered around as well.

Grabbing one of the floating pieces, Sketch gave it a sniff. “It smells sweet. Well, here goes!” And without further ado, she licked it, the soft fruit easily tearing apart from the force of her tongue. After a few experimental chews, her face began to beam. “This... this is the greatest fruit ever!” was all she said before proceeding to greedily consume the rest of her half.

“That g-g-good, huh?” the unicorn on the other side of the table asked. He carefully licked his part of the fruit. But grimaced at the taste of it. “It tastes l-like something rotten!” He slid his half over to Sketch. “Here, you take it.”

“Thanks!” she answered with a mouthful of purple, the juice dripping down from her lips. “I have to ask somepony later what this is, I’ve never seen or tasted anything like it before!”

“If you s-say so...” He instead picked up a shiny red apple from the basket, giving it a satisfying crunch. “S-Sketch, how come you c-could take a b-bath if you’re afra--”

She put a hoof in the air to cut him off. Taking a few seconds to swallow the contents in her mouth and to wipe of any juices, she put the nut-fruit aside. “It’s... It’s not the same thing. I don’t have a problem with just water, it’s under water,” she said matter of factly. The calmness of her voice when saying it surprised Crimson, almost making him feel uncomfortable. “I can handle water just fine, as long as I don’t have to hold my breath or anything while in it...” her voice finally trailed off.

“Shouldn’t you have t-t-told him?” Crimson stuttered.

She looked up at him, lowering an eyebrow. “Huh?”

The red stallion looked away, breaking eye contact. “Kickbolt... he seemed, I don’t know... hurt back there. Emotionally... almost l-like you when you told me about the w-water. I guess I thought... I thought it’d w-work out if you t-told him what happened in that d-dungeon,” he said.

“Crimson, I... it’s not that simple,” she mumbled back to him. “I almost did, but... I can’t. I’m sorry,” she said, suddenly having lost all interest in the unnamed fruit.

The red unicorn stared down into the table. “I just thought that it’d be b-b-better for both of you if you t-told--”

“Crimson,” Sketch interrupted him. “Can we please not talk about this? We should just go to bed already, we have to get up early tomorrow.”

“But--”

“Good night, Crimson Aegis,” she said, and walked out on him.

ö~ö~Ö~ö~ö

“It’s simple, really,” Full Bellows said. He was speaking in a more normal voice today, as if he’d been practicing. “We want you to go into the temple and look for our two explorers. I would have said so sooner, but we’d been told to keep it down until further notice.”

“How long have they been gone?” Kickbolt asked. His wing harness was in rough shape, but still much better than the previous day after a crude repair job and polishing.

The old stallion rubbed his balding head. “About a week. They’d gone in before, so we know a little about the place, but that’s it. I figured that if you were already going in, it’d be easy enough for you to keep an eye out for them.”

Sketch put away her notebook after having gone through what she’d written about the temple from the day before. “You could have told us. We could already be in there looking for them!”

“Well, you were hungry and worn out! It was easy to see you were in no shape to enter that place,” Full Bellows answered.

“He’s r-right, you know. We probably w-wouldn’t last long without food, and we had p-practically run out already.”

The green mare’s head dropped. “Fine. With the supplies you brought with you, we should be able to go in.” She pointed towards the big, burly brown sack he’d brought with him.

The elder nodded. “I was told to bring the usual supplies explorers are given. Of course, we packed extra for a third pony.” I’ll let you take a look at it and discuss things over. You can just head over there whenever you’re ready.” He began to walk towards the door, but stopped a few steps away, turning his head back to look at them. “Just... make it soon, please?”

"We'll get going soon, don't worry," Sketch reassured him.

The old pony nodded slowly, putting away the ear horn as he did so. "Good, good," he murmured. "Good luck, you three."

ö~ö~Ö~ö~ö

Kickbolt pulled out a milky white orb from the sack, holding it out for the others to see. "Look!" he exclaimed. "I think this is a marker stone. They must have gotten these from Ever City!"

Crimson leaned forward to get a better look at it. "Marker s-stone? I don't think I'm familiar with those."

Sketch grabbed it for herself, her expression changing from confusion to joy as she recalled an earlier conversation with the pegasus regarding that type of magic stone. "Are these the ones that allows you to magically project symbols to relay messages?"

Kickbolt was practically beaming, happy to be the one sharing information for once. "Yeah!" he replied. "Arrows, simple pictures, writing, and even recorded messages. Triggered by anypony walking close enough." He waved his hooves around in the air, trying to imitate how it would look.

Sketch hummed while focusing at the stone. Only a moment later, a luminescent yellow arrow appeared, floating just above eye level over the swaying grass in front of them. It pointed in the direction of the temple only a short way before them.

The earth pony frowned. “No sound? I thought I made it so it would say something.”

“Try touching it. I think that unless you set a specific trigger, that’s what usually works,” the pegasus explained.

Without sparing a second for anymore thought, the mare practically threw a hoof at the arrow. The same moment it came, it touched - and then flew through - the arrow. Her own voice could be heard emitting from the arrow itself in a very neutral tone. “Temple,” it said.

She flinched upon hearing the message, turning back towards the other two. “Do I really sound like that? That was almost...”

“Squeaky?” Kickbolt suggested with a grin.

“C-cute?” Crimson tried, blushing slightly.

She gave the unicorn a quick smile, but only glared at Kickbolt.“Never mind,” she muttered as she continued walking towards the structure visible in the distance.

“You can’t reject it as long as it’s true!” Kickbolt shouted after her.

Crimson gave the arrow one last look before going after them again. “So how l-long do those last? If they’re m-magical, they’ll only b-be able to stay manifested for s-so long. The r-ribbons we’ve been using so far doesn’t exactly ‘lose p-power’.”

“Uh...” the blue stallion started. “I... I think they sort of power down if they don’t detect anypony in their direct vicinity, giving them a longer life-time. But I think they usually last a couple of weeks, unless it contains a big message.” He looked behind him. “I don’t see the arrow any longer, I guess that means it already ‘powered down’. If anypony gets close enough again, it should appear. Check this out.”

He lazily began to flap his wings, hopping into the air and gliding back to where they had been a few moments ago. As soon as he got a few meters from its original position, the yellow pointer appeared out of thin air again. “I’m pretty sure you can decide how far away or how close you need to be for it to sense anypony when you first create it, you just have to think of several things at the same time when doing it.”

“Why is it that y-you’re the knowledgeable one r-regarding this?” Crimson asked, shuffling his legs after asking. “S-Sorry, but I’m just a bit surprised. Usually it’s Sketch that has all information.”

Sketch snickered upon hearing the remark. “He’s right, you know.”

Kickbolt blew a raspberry in Sketch’s direction. “We used these all the time back when I was in training in Every City. We had so many magic stones that the guild had first dibs on, so we had all kinds of magic available to us. We even had some personal stone infusers at the guild.”

“Stone infuser?” Crimson asked. “I’m g-guessing they are the ones... well, infusing m-magic into the stones?”

“Pretty much, yeah. I’ve been told there’s a special trick to it, and not many unicorns can do it. Not to mention that most magic stones requires a unicorn adept at that specific type of magic to infuse it. The few ponies that can do some of the more mundane magic stones work overtime way too often, just to make it easier for the rest of us.”

“I didn’t realize that,” Sketch said. “We’ve just gotten a few bags now and then delivered to town. Nothing fancy though, just some standard elemental--”

“Hello pony.”

The three of them jumped into the air, alarmed at the sudden new voice. Turning their heads in all possible directions they searched for the source of it, without finding anything.

“Who said that?!” Kickbolt demanded, kicking dirt as if ready to charge.

Emerging from the ground, behind Sketch, a shadowy shape took form. “K’les,” it rasped. His head suddenly almost fell off his shoulders - or a least what they thought was the shoulders - as the shadow began to move the head around unhindered by anything that could resemble a skeletal structure. “Hello pony,” he said again.

“Sketch? Is that--”

“Yes, that’s K’les,” the green mare interrupted Kickbolt, answering him at the same time. “Although this is my first time seeing him in pure daylight, he’s not as big as I first thought.”

Flickering his eyes between grey and white, it gave what looked like a smirk at her remark. “Size change,” was all he said. Suddenly, his body seemed to fold into itself, shrinking to a more pony-like size instead of the towering slender one he’d had moments ago.

“What are you doing here, K’les? Are you still following us?” Sketch asked. “Oh wait... that’s what made you run away last time, when I asked that.”

He shook his head vigorously. “Damage done. Help now.”

Kickbolt and Crimson shared a stare at the shadow creature before them. “Uhhh...”

“I told you he’s hard to understand,” Sketch said. “You mean you’re going to help us now instead of just following?”

The same way he’d been waving his head side to side to relay his no, he started nodding up and down as his eyes turned white. “Help now. Show way! Pony follow.”

“His s-speech seems... fragmented,” Crimson noted, putting a hoof to his chin.

K’les frowned towards the unicorn. “Sorry Clumsy-One. Pony talk hard.”

“C-C-Clumsy-one?!” he repeated, staggering backwards at the remark. “I thought y-y-you said he c-called me Big-one?”

Sketch’s eyes met the sky as she grinned sheepishly. “Uh... sorry. I was sort of hoping you wouldn’t find out.”

“What, so I’m not Wingy-one either?” the blue pegasus asked, now seemingly less alarmed by the foreign presence.

The shadow turned its head upside down and blinked a few times. “Not understand. Wingy-one not Wingy-one?”

“Uhh... never mind.”

Suddenly his head began to bounce up and down while in mid-air. K’les walked - or rather, he floated - towards the temple entrance before turning his head back at them. “Follow! Close. Soon answers!”

“Wait... what do you mean answers?! Answers to what?” Sketch called, trotting after him. “K’les, what are you talking about?!”

They had followed him all the way to the entrance without realizing it. They stood under the massive plates they had stood on top of upon their first arrival, supported by giant pillars next to them, hiding the actual entrance that easily reminded them of the one in the tower outside Fourtow, both in architecture and size.

“Lead way. Pony follow!” K’les said, bobbing his head while doing so. He floated further into the entrance, ushering them to keep on moving.

Kickbolt frowned. “Sketch, can we trust him?”

“I think so. He saved me when that ogre was chasing me. He sort of pulled me into a hole. I’m not sure how, but without it, I’m not sure I would have made it. That and...”

“You really want to know what he means by ‘answers’?” Kickbolt finished for her.

She smiled at him. “Yeah.”

He rolled his eyes. “Fine. But we’re taking this slow. I’m not even sure he can activate traps, he doesn’t even have any legs! So we’ll do this the same way as always.”

Suddenly a lot less excited, Sketch sighed. “Fine. Just hurry up!”

As if on cue, K’les drifted back from the hallway, giving them a blank stare for a few moments. “Pony come? No trap. Safe here.”

“If you say so!” The green earth pony mare happily trotted after him, despite Kickbolt’s warning.

“Hey, Sketch, wait! That’s dangerous! You don’t know if you can trust him!”

Crimson stood alone by the entrance, mumbling something for himself before following the rest. “Answers to what...?”

ö~ö~Ö~ö~ö

“So, K’les... am I pronouncing that right? Anyway, where are we going? You just keep saying we’ll get to answers, but we don’t even know the questions?” Kickbolt asked while eyeing the creature suspiciously.

“Wingy-one ask lots. Meet Mad-one!”

"Huh? Who?" They asked, but the only answer they got was a tilted head looking at them as if they just asked the dumbest possible question ever. They decided to shrug it off for the time being.

K’les led them further in. So far it was just one long hallway leading straight in. The interior was more or less in the same shape as the towers they were used to. There were also similar gemstones than the ones they had learned to recognise lighting the path, although these ones were of mixed colors, not just green. It didn’t take long until they came upon something that could only be compared to a great ballroom, except it was symmetrically filled with dozens of new passages leading into other locations.

"This way! This way!" K'les shouted, his odd rasping voice echoing against the walls. Without stopping, he chose one of the corridors near the middle. His body almost glided over the floor as he escorted them.

"Wait, stop!" Kickbolt shouted, flaring his wings to stop the ones behind him. "Look over there!"

He pointed to a passage three doors away. A floating green shape appeared out of thin air, pointing into the hall.

An arrow.

Sketch ran up to it without thought, activating it by getting too close. Only a second later, a mare’s voice could be heard speaking.

"After our last time here, we determined to take this path, based on the intuition of my partner. If we managed to figure this place out the least, there should be another thrilling brain adventure awaiting us."

"That must be the ones they told us to look for! They must be down here!" Sketch exclaimed, jumping up and down as they listened to the rest of the recording.

"Last time we wound up forgetting who we were once every five minutes, I think we only managed to get out there by luck. Hell if I remember."

Kickbolt cocked an eyebrow. "They forgot who they were?"

"Full B-Bellows mentioned, remember? This p-place does things to your mind," Crimson said.

"Ughh..." The pegasus rubbed his neck. "This is gonna be fun."

"They must have gone in here," Sketch said. "Come on!"

Crimson tugged lightly at her with his magic as she began trotting further in. "W-Wait! If they went in here b-before they went missing, then doesn't that mean s-something in there is the reason why they went missing?"

"Hmm..." She put a hoof to her chin for a moment. "Good point. Let’s check it out!"

"Sketch!” the two males called out to her.

She sighed, slowly rolling her eyes. “Fiiine...” She turned back to look at two staring stallions. “Aren’t you the least interested in knowing what sort of mind-traps are here? It just seems so... so...”

“Dangerous?” Kickbolt tried.

“P-Problematic?”

“I was going to say fun, but whatever. Well, if you’re not going to let me follow that marker, what do we do then?”

K’les had been standing behind them idly, waiting to see what was happening, up until now. He swooped in and up between the ponies to their surprise, and pointed back towards the passage he wanted to take. “Mad-one help! Mad-one know much.”

“What...?” Sketch pulled his arm to get his attention, which didn’t do much but stretch it out further, but still worked to make him turn to her. “K’les, what’s with this ‘Mad-one’? Is it the one with these answers you keep talking about?”

A low rustling sound surrounded them. Sketch, however, recognized it as a sigh from the shadow. The other two ponies didn’t make the connection quite as fast, instead looking around to look for the source before the mare informed them.

“Mad-one tell to get pony. Mad-one want speak!”

“So whoever this is, it wants to speak with us?” the blue pegasus asked. The response was a frantic nodding. “Why?” he asked again.

The head jiggling stopping momentarily as he scratched his head, his eyes blinking grey and white a few times before setting back to white. “Not know,” was all he said before continuing with his blissful bouncing.

“But can this ‘Mad-one’ help us?” Sketch questioned him.

Rotating his head on the spot without moving his body, K’les stared at her for a second, once again swapping eye colors momentarily. “Probably.”

“Uhm... K-K-K’les?” Crimson stuttered. “Why do you--”

“Not K-K-K’les. Only K’les,” the shadow corrected him, stretching his neck out to get a good look at the unicorn. “Clumsy-one talk funny pony talk.”

Crimson shyed away at the response. “Sorry...”

Kickbolt pulled the unicorn back again. “Don’t apologize, Crimson! Just say what you wanted to ask.”

Flushing slightly, he nodded. “O-Okay... K’les, w-why do you think we should t-trust you? I don’t w-want to be rude, b-but we don’t know anything about you, not even what you are.”

“Well... he did save me from the ogre, as I said,” Sketch added. “While by our standards he seems... odd. I don’t think he has any ill intentions, so I say we follow him.”

“Are you sure, Sketch?” Kickbolt asked, still eyeing the shadow suspiciously.

“Well you’re not letting me go in there.” She nodded towards the passage behind them. “And odds are most of the other corridors around us could be trapped the same way. You heard the recording. If this... ‘Mad-one’ really can help us with this place, I say we go for it. Besides, by the sound of it, I’m interested in meeting it.”

Kickbolt groaned loudly. “Are you sure about this? I mean, really sure? Crimson, help me out here!”

“I’m s-sorry, Kickbolt, but her points are pretty v-valid. I d-don’t like it myself, but it’s our best option if we’re g-going to do anything here.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be on my side?”

“I’m just t-trying to think logically,” Crimson mumbled, looking away.

K’les moved back towards the passage he originally tried to lead them into. “Then pony follow? No trap here!”

Sketch walked after him, grinning uncontrollably. “You heard the shadow! Come on!”

“I give up...” Kickbolt muttered, and began to trudge after, with Crimson in tow.

The myriad of colors illuminated their path, but even as the light touched K’les’ skin, it remained completely black. True to his word, they did not encounter any traps along the way, and soon enough they were at the end of the hallway. But it didn’t keep Kickbolt from stopping them every few meters to double check.

Cut off as if someone had just sliced the hall in half, a mix of colors were glowing before them. The lights being similar in nature to the crystals lighting the inside of the temple, but at the same time they seemed almost dark, despite the fact that the portal’s light was outshining the gems by far.

“Through here!” K’les exclaimed, eagerly walking through the swirling colors. Even as he slid through it, the colors did nothing against his jet black skin.

“Uh, we’re going through... that?” Kickbolt asked. “Really?”

“What? it’s just another portal! We already went through a whole bunch in that other dungeon we were in!” Sketch answered. “You’re not scared of portals, are you?”

“Not directly, but this looks a bit too much, even by your standards. I’ve seen portals before, but this one just looks... weird.”

“Well, K’les is waiting for us on the other side, so let’s go already!” And with that, the earth pony hopped into it, her yellow tail the last part to follow her in.

“No, wait, Sketch!” Kickbolt tried to call after her, but it was too late. “Ugh... why does she always have to rush into everything?” he mumbled. “Come on, Crimson.”

“R-Right...” the unicorn responded, nodding meekly.

The two of them stood side by side and walked through it together. Much like the other portals, walking through it was just like going through a doorway. Only a split second later, they were standing in an entirely different room, but what they saw wasn’t anything they could have expected.

Sketch was only a few steps ahead of them, standing still. She was staring at the creature in front of them, neither moving or speaking. Only observing, as her mind was working overtime to comprehend what she was seeing.

K’les was standing next to the throne, looking up to the one sitting in it.

A combination of several types of creatures was combined into one tall abomination. They could identify a bat wing, a lion paw, eagle claw along with several other parts they didn’t even recognize. As it sat there smirking at them, it was sipping a brown liquid out of a glass. At first glance, it could have been chocolate milk.

“Well you sure took your sweet time getting here. I was starting to get bored.”




(Author’s note: I’d like to thank ARBPW and LysanderasD for helping me with editing on this chapter. If you liked it, please leave a comment, they’re probably the biggest source of encouragement I’ve yet to encounter. Don’t forget to rate!

So yeah, I’ll let you guess who this new character is.

It’s not Pinkie Pie, if that helps.

Feel free to discuss all the amazing possibilities due to this change of circumstances in the comments or something! If you want to reach me directly, you can do so at diexna@gmail.com)