• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 21,346 Views, 945 Comments

Arachnophobia - Dennis the Menace



It was here, in my room. Somewhere, skittering along on its eight spindly legs.

  • ...
27
 945
 21,346

Itsy-Bitsy Spawn of Tartarus

In the long run, I should have seen it coming a mile away. Perhaps this was punishment. That fateful day when Luna would want a furry companion. And how ironic that the most endearing aspect of her new pet terrified me out of my wits. Dear sister wanted a pet. Why, oh why, did I ever indulge her? I should have quashed her dream like a bug, perhaps convinced her a pet was not worth it.

But I agreed. I encouraged her to have a pet. A little buddy, if you will, to entertain her and keep her company during those long, dreary nights. And so I recommended Luna to the best pet specialist I knew: Fluttershy. Luna later described to me the near orgasmic reaction the pegasus had when Luna came knocking for a pet. Fluttershy was the sweetest, kindest, gentlest creature in all of Equestria. To want to harm her was a crime against nature.

And yet, I felt an overwhelming desire to do so. I should have thrown her in the dungeon when I had the chance.

Out of all the pets to choose from, it had to be that one. There were so many pets to choose from! A dog, for instance. A cat! A hamster, or a gerbil, a turtle or a songbird! Even a snake was preferable to that...thing.

"Is he not adorable?" Luna said as it crawled along her outstretched hoof.

As for me, my flanks were pressed against the farthest corner of the room, away from it. "Adorable?"

"Who's adorable?" Luna gushed. "You are, Atticus! Yes you are! Yes you are!"

That infernal creature crawled along her hoof toward her chest. I felt my body go numb and tingle with fear, its razor-sharp fangs dripping with venom nearing her neck as it continued to crawl almost slowly toward her face. Its eight limbs moved in such a manner that made me want to retch. Its beady, soulless eyes were expressionless. The arachnid had a furry body. Why does it even have hair? It doesn't even have skin!

"Don't let it bite you!" I warned, nearly shrieking.

"Oh, don't be silly, Celestia. Atticus would never bite me!"

"He could be poisonous!"

"I assure you he is not. And even if he was, if he bit you, it would be comparable to a bee sting."

I was not letting that thing within twenty feet of me.

"Oho, look, 'Tia."

The blood drained from my face. I covered my eyes, nearly on the verge of passing out.

"Look, look, he's on my face."

My pale coat was paling even more. My face felt cold. I felt ill.

"Heehee, he's in my hair."


I could not help but feel as if a thousand spiders were crawling all over my body. In an extremely uncouth manner I teleported out of her bedroom, beads of sweat sliding down my body.

Not only a spider. Oh no, it just couldn't have been a spider that I could quash with a hoof. It was a tarantula. A hairy, demonic tarantula with eight long, spindly, twitching, furry legs and four beady black eyes. She even gave it a name! Atticus! What kind of a name was that?

It wasn't enough that she kept it in her room, though preferably in a dungeon. Luna insisted on not keeping Atticus caged up.

Oh, and that could have been the end of it all. Everything would have been all said and done and everything all well and good. I would just never step hoof in her bedroom again.

But then Luna had to bring him to dinner.

"Goodness, Luna, not at the dinner table!"

"If Philomena is allowed to be present during supper, I think Atticus should be allowed to as well."

It sat on her head as she ate her salad, often times crawling around on her head only to plant itself back on her crown, as if using it as a bed.

I had no room to talk. So I continued to eat my salad, trying not to retch as I did so, trying to think of pleasant things. I looked up.

Atticus was staring at me. Just...staring. Not moving.

I stared back, wishing I could have laser beams shoot from my eyes and vaporize him. I gazed back intensely, narrowing my eyes, not daring to blink, for if I did, he would have shot onto my face in an instant. And for some reason, at that particular moment when he and I faced off in a battle of wits, I began to think. And I began to plan. In that moment when our eyes met, I'd already decided in my mind on a way to get rid of him, already planning his demise. It was a declaration of war.

There was a time I would happily declare to anypony that I was not afraid of spiders. I loved every creature in the world, especially my little ponies.

But I make an exception for spiders. They are Death incarnate, wrapped in scary. There was nothing cute about a spider. No endearing qualities. You couldn't cuddle with a spider. Hug it, or pet it. Play fetch or have it do tricks.

You may tell me that spiders have families. Every living creature is sentient. They should all have a right to life. I make an exception, and it is with this fact that spiders have families that I insist we should murder them all.

And then there is some twisted logic that somepony decided would be good to tell their foal that they were bigger than a spider, and there was no reason to be afraid. That is precisely the reason they are so terrifying. They seem so harmless, their lethargic movement so disarming, that you let your guard down.

Tonight, I would have royal guards sweep my room for the mere trace of a spiderweb. And even after my faithful guards confirm that there were, in fact, no spiders lurking in my bedsheets, I would probably be unable to sleep. Spiders were everywhere. And I would not let one get the jump on me.

You know what's more fun than spiders? A brick. A brick is so useful. You can use it for all sorts of things. Like crushing spiders. Did you know you can play games with a brick? I would have loved to play brick tag with Luna. See, all you have to do is get hit by the brick to be "it".

Blunt force trauma. Fun. I'd play brick tag with Atticus.

Or, or, you could jump over a brick! Or crush a spider with it. Or drop a brick from a tall tower. Onto a spider.

I think I've gone insane.