• Published 10th Jul 2011
  • 27,463 Views, 1,199 Comments

The Empty Room - Wanderer D



An ancient enemy; a family secret; a plot to overthrow the Princesses...

  • ...
70
 1,199
 27,463

Chapter 18 (Original)

The Empty Room
Chapter 18
By Wanderer D :

Fluttershy was worried. Rainbow Dash had eventually joined them after finishing whatever business she had, but the wild pegasus had seemed completely subdued. There had been no banter, no bragging of any sort.

The cyan pegasus had simply joined them, eaten a muffin and basically stared into the sky with a look of hopelessness. Her eyes, usually focused on her next objective, be it a new trick or dominating a competition, now reflected worries and thoughts flying in her mind one after the other.

But the worst thing was that Rainbow Dash seemed to be calm. As if she had accepted her fate and was simply just waiting for it to happen. It was almost as though her will had been ground into dust by the wheels of fate.

The pink-maned pegasus bit her lip. It was clear to her that the Element of Loyalty knew a lot more about what was happening than she had told them. It made her wonder, just a bit where the loyalty lay... and if it was earned.

Rainbow Dash looked down at the city below from the vantage point at Shadowbolt HQ. Having taken over the old, abandoned barracks of the Pegasi Guards in the sheer cliff rising behind Canterlot Castle, they could survey the vast expanse of Equestria from the several ledges accessible only to winged creatures.

The dark sky and the blood-red light from the eclipse made the city look eerie... the streetlamps were all on, and she could see thousands of ponies slowly making their way towards the plaza, filling the side streets and avenues like a muticolored river. Behind her, Misty, Blast and Fluttershy, all dressed up in Shadowbolt uniforms, also looked at the crowds gathering in the plaza.

“It's disgusting,” Misty said, her eyelids low. “I wonder what Nightmare Flare intends to achieve by gathering everypony in Canterlot for a public execution. It's barbaric!”

“S-she's not going to go through with it, is she?” Fluttershy asked, cringing at the thought. “Because Lyra's a good pony... and it would make Bon-Bon very sad... it would make me sad too... I mean... everypony, really...”

“I'm sure Nightmare Moon has a plan.” Rainbow Dash smiled with more conviction than she actually had.

“She'd better.” Blast said. “And you'd better have a backup, Captain.” the former Wonderbolt looked at her former fan with steel in her eyes, clearly not impressed by Rainbow Dash’s faith in the evil alicorn of legend.

Rainbow Dash lowered her head. “If... if Nightmare Moon doesn't stop it... I'll get Lyra... you girls will have to come at me with everything you've got.”

Misty regarded the rainbow-maned pegasus. “Everything we've got might be a bit much for you to survive, Captain.”

“I know.”

“But... Rainbow Dash... if you do that, it won't be just Misty and Blast chasing you...”

The cyan pegasus whirled around, facing the other three ponies. “I know! But I just can't let her die like that! It's wrong!”

She was surprised to see the two former Wonderbolts smiling warmly at her.

“Don't worry, Captain,” Blast said. “We'll cover you.”

Dash blinked. “Wait... what?”

“You didn't think we'd let you take all the glory, did you?” Misty added. “Besides, if you weren’t willing to do that, then you wouldn't be Wonderbolt material.”

The pegasus bit back a laugh. “Now I know you're pulling my tail.” she turned her back to the three and looked down towards the city again. “I don't know how far dreams can take anypony... but I do know where mine are going to end.”

The three Shadowbolts behind her traded worried looks.

“Is there anything you want to tell us?” Misty prodded.

Rainbow Dash was quiet for the longest time, until the echoes of the trumpets reached their ears. “I think I know what Nightmare Moon is planning... and it really scares me, because I know what we're up against, and it might be the only way to save Equestria.” She looked back over her shoulder. “Well, everypony! You heard the trumpets! Time to join the crowds! Soarin' and Spitfire will be waiting for us!”

Before they could argue, Rainbow Dash had taken flight and was circling over them, waiting for the three to join her.

Unable to shake the chill on their backs from Rainbow Dash's words, the three pegasi jumped up to join her, the last one's worried eyes not leaving the brash pegasus for a second.

The group of pegasi pulled into the air, circling high above the city. Down below, the thousands of ponies congregating in the plaza looked like mere ants. They were moving around and pressing together to better see the gallows or the two wooden balconies that had been installed for both the Queens. In the case of civilian pegasi, flying up to land on top of buildings, one even landed on top of the Celestia statue in the middle of the large fountain that adorned the plaza.

All of it was an amazing sight under the eclipsed sun, and had their thoughts not been as dark as the shadow cast by the moon, the Shadowbolts would have enjoyed the sight.

o.0.o

Twilight Sparkle was in a strange situation.

Several things had happened in what seemed, to her, the blink of an eye. As she faced Nightmare Moon in a body that was... abnormal... her mind raced through possibilities, scenarios and the nagging thought that she was forgetting something very important.

She took a deep breath. “I'll approach this like research. Nice, methodical, understandable research..." she mumbled to herself.

Okay, fact check.

Nightmare Moon was here. That meant that Luna had fallen again to her darker alter-ego.

She was missing her horn. And had gained wings. That meant she had no magic but was possibly capable of evasive maneuvers. It had to be the result of some sort of spell being cast on her while she was unconscious, meaning that it also had to be reversible.

Even if these wings somehow felt just right.

Trixie was also here and she was acting very affectionately to Big Macintosh, who was also here... for some reason. The blue showmare was eyeing Twilight and Nightmare Moon with a strange frown, meaning that she was either confused or knew something they didn't. But finding out what that was could take time... which she did not have.

Next fact.

There was another pegasus there. He looked familiar. But he wasn't from Ponyville. Had she met him in a social gathering of some sort? That could only be The Gala since she had avoided anything social like the plague before going to Ponyville. Wonderbolt? Possibly... she seemed to recall Rainbow Dash talking to a similar pony at the Gala. He was at ease next to Nightmare Moon, though. Was he a Shadowbolt now? Her eyes narrowed.

Then there was Applejack.

She seemed okay, well, except for the kiss. She really did taste like apples. Wow. Twilight had wondered what it would be like to kiss Big Mac, and that was exactly what she had thought it would taste like. Apples (and hay in his case, since he was always chewing on it.) But that was in for two reasons: First, Big Mac was taken. By Trixie. Lucky mare.

Second, Applejack was standing next to Nightmare Moon as comfortably as if she were standing next to Rarity.

That meant that she was on Nightmare Moon's side. But no, that wasn't right... Maybe she was under a spell? And why was Applejack blushing? Oh no. Had Twilight been staring too long at her friend? What should she do? Should she talk to Applejack? No. She was still analyzing the situation. That called for a more subtle approach.

Twilight moved her head in the direction of the strangely dressed unicorn, and then slowly tore her gaze from the Apple Farmer.

This unicorn was definitely comfortable with Nightmare Moon. Enough to make jabs at her through hoof-language. She was dressed in a tight-fitting black uniform with a jade dagger cutie-mark on her flank. She had azure eyes and again, jade-green hair. It could be safely surmised that she was some sort of pony hit-mare for Nightmare Moon. She couldn't be trusted. And why was she teary-eyed?

There was the nagging feeling that she was forgetting something. What was she doing before she woke up here?

Of course! Celestia's filly was missing! Oh, no. Was it Nightmare Moon's doing? Was that why she was here? But... that was impossible! Nightmare Moon had been trapped in the Moon at the time! Why, she had established that the spells cast in the room were no older than twenty years and had been about to tell Princess Celestia when her dad had...

Oh... no. What had her father done? Where was he?

“Ah think we broke her.” Applejack said, watching as Twilight's eyes roamed from pony to pony, settled on her for an uncomfortable amount of time, then turned to Jade, then just lost focus completely. There was a small twitch on Twilight's left eye.

“That is entirely possible.” Nightmare Moon nodded curtly, she then turned towards the blue showmare. “Trixie. What did you see inside the ĉambro?”

Trixie looked from Twilight, to Nightmare Moon, then back to the purple, eye-twitching, hyperventilating pegasus. “Trixie is not entirely sure if she should tell a legendary dark alicorn what she saw inside the ĉambro.”

Nightmare Moon narrowed her eyes and scratched the floor with her hoof. “We don't have time for that now. At any moment my sister is going to call everypony for Lyra’s execution! I need to know if my theory is correct... is Twilight Sparkle Celestia's filly?”

“Tah...” was the only sound that escaped Twilight's mouth as her brain registered what the dark alicorn had just said.

Trixie gulped and shook loose of Big Macintosh's comforting grasp. “The Great and Powerful Trixie will not let you harm Princess Twilight.” She said, stepping shakily between the Nightmare and the purple pegasus. “Sh-she promised Princess Celestia.”

The room was silent as the obscenely powerful alicorn stared at the gifted showmare. The silence was broken by Twilight passing out and collapsing on the floor with all the grace of a sack of potatoes.

“Solar-flaring orgasms of Celestia!” Nightmare Moon growled, making everypony in the cavern, including the comatose unicorn, twitch. “That's it! I've had it!” she glared at Twilight and materialized a large sphere of water right over Twilight Sparkle.

The former unicorn screeched when it was dumped on top of her with perhaps more violence than was probably necessary. She was immediately wrapped in magic and dragged forward until she was staring Nightmare Moon in the eyes, still dripping and shivering.

“I'll make this short because I have several matters of grave importance to attend to and I will not waste my time on this!”
She growled at the cowering Twilight. “So listen up! Celestia had a filly. That filly was you.”

Twilight blinked. “But how is that possible?! My parents raised me! They even told me about how mom got pregnant during a research trip and...”

She was interrupted by the Nightmare stamping her hoof on the stone floor. “Trixie knows what happened and she WILL explain it or she WILL be sent to the Moon!” the alicorn growled, narrowing her eyes at the showmare, who gulped.

“Your adoptive father, Midnight, was corrupted by a magical medallion several years ago... the medallion was created by a being called the Guardian.” Nightmare Moon actually looked pained for a moment, she closed her eyes for a second before regarding Twilight. “Midnight was compelled by the medallion to do anything to forward the Guardian’s cause... including killing you.”

Twilight looked around at the gathered ponies. With the exception of Soarin’ who barely knew her, all of her friends and even the unknown unicorn with the green mane looked pained at the thought.

“Celestia broke and transformed into a Nightmare called Flare.” Nightmare Moon continued in a quieter voice. “She then forced Luna into becoming me.”

The alicorn fell silent as the dark thoughts replayed in her mind’s eye, giving Twilight a moment to absorb what had been said.

“She created another Twilight using your horn.” Nightmare Moon said, finally looking up. “She's, for lack of a better term, a nymphomaniac fillyfooler with a taste for apples.” The alicorn shrugged and glanced at Applejack who had started blushing the moment Twilight Spark was brought into the conversation.

Twilight Sparkle just looked from one to the other... was Nightmare Moon implying what she thought she was implying? The alicorn’s next words cleared her doubts.

“She named this new unicorn ‘Twilight Spark’, and she has been chasing Applejack's flank for the last few days... I don’t dare to imagine what’s happened between those two, but from what I hear, they have been extremely rough on the mattresses... and the room in general.” Applejack’s cheeks were burning red as Twilight, Soarin’, Trixie and her brother turned to stare at her.

Nightmare Moon nodded and sighed. “Their... exchanges have been the talk of the castle since they began, the staff has reported crashing furniture, screams and galloping inside the rooms as well as... moaning sounds of some sort.”

Applejack had pulled her hat down as far as it would go and could only be heard muttering: “Ah swear nothin’ happened! Ah swear! Ah’m gonna kill Spark, ya hear!?”

Nightmare Moon ignored her. “Trixie died at some point, when, I am not sure.”

“It is truly a sad story,” Trixie said. “The Great and Powerful Trixie will be glad to amaze you with her perilous journey of self-discovery, romance and misfortune.”

“Not now, dear.” Nightmare Moon said, patting the showmare in the head and earning a glare. “We really don’t have the time. Also, speaking in the third pony about yourself is generally not a good sign. Try and drop this distasteful habit, would you?”

Trixie groaned angrily and scratched at the floor as Nightmare Moon turned her back on her. Twilight did not know whether to be amused or scared by the familiarity with which the dark alicorn was speaking to everypony in the room.

“While being nothing but a ghost, Trixie somehow made it to Canterlot with Big Macintosh,” Nightmare Moon continued. “She was tricked by Midnight to go into the ĉambro, which I believe contained the details of why you ended up as a simple -but very powerful- unicorn.”

“I... I’m not that powerful!” Twilight complained. “I’m only learning and...” she stopped mid sentence when the other ponies in the room groaned and, in some cases, rolled their eyes.

“You’re being a might too humble, sugarcube.” Applejack said. “Remember when you levitated the Ursa Minor out of Ponyville?”

“But that was...”

“While you were creating music, and also levitating a water tower and milking a bunch of cows to get milk to make it go to sleep?” Trixie added.

Soarin’ stared.

“Not to mention that my sister told me of the stunt you pulled while you were still a very young filly. You turned your adoptive parents into plants while levitating the instructors and casting a giant growth spell on your baby dragon?”

“Fine!” Twilight moaned. “Fine! I get it!”

Nightmare Moon chuckled and shook her head. Her smile disappeared as she sighed. “Your adoptive father is gone now. He died shortly after fighting you and I was able to break the spell that tied him to this world... he seemed to regain his senses when that happened... he can’t be blamed too harshly for things beyond his control.”

Twilight nodded and looked down sadly, eyes brimming with tears. Her father was gone. He might not be her biological parent, but he had raised her like his own for her whole infancy until she had attended school. She still loved him and her mother. She always would. Twilight looked up at her friends and at the alicorn and wondered if she would ever have time to grieve.

Would she ever get the chance to sit down and think of all the happy memories she had shared with her father? Even if at the end he had been corrupted... when they had lived together he had loved her as his daughter and she had loved him as only a filly can love her father. She could only hope, that once everything was over, she would have a quiet time to herself.

“I have named Rainbow Dash the captain of my Shadowbolts.”

Twilight’s head snapped up in surprise.

“Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are also performing missions for me.” The alicorn said, dead serious. As hard as it was to imagine her friends working for Nightmare Moon of all ponies, Twilight knew that she was telling the truth. “Now,” the dark alicorn’s eyes turned towards the blue unicorn, who had cringed to the point of not being able to look up. “Trixie. You are going to tell us what you saw, do I make myself clear?”

Trixie cringed once more, then felt somepony stand next to her. She looked up into Big Macintosh's eyes as the stallion nodded encouragingly.

“Trixie... was sent to the past and witnessed how Princess Twilight's wings were enchanted away from her body, as well as most of her power, to protect her from an Assassins’ Guild.”

Silent Jade's eyes went wide and she looked up to Nightmare Moon, shaking her head at the showmare’s implication.

The Nightmare nodded in understanding, concentrating on the blue unicorn’s words.

“The spell was more powerful than they thought. Trixie...” the magician looked at the alicorn and coughed as she corrected herself. “... I was somehow brought back to life by it, and then I was sent back here.”

“The magic of the ĉambro then returned to Twilight's body, reviving her since it was made of her life essence and magic, which were trapped in there. There was enough power in this room and the ĉambro to also bring you back to life... However, since Twilight’s horn had been broken off during her battle, all she got was extra magic and her wings back.” Nightmare Moon surmised. She then turned to face Twilight. “My dear niece, I have good news and bad news. Which would you like to hear first?”

Twilight shook her head. She was Celestia's filly? Her eyes teared up, she was Celestia's filly! She had been living with her real mother all those years and she had not known it! Neither of them had!

She would always love her adoptive parents... but... she had felt for a long time now a deeper connection to Celestia throughout the years, and if she was honest with herself, she had seen the Princess as a mother figure for a very long time now.

She forced herself back to the moment when she heard Nightmare Moon cough impatiently. “I... good news first?”

“Very well.” Nightmare Moon nodded. “The good news is that your mother will be able to remember everything once we return her to normal. At this point in time she is so paranoid about memory spells and illusion magic that she’s no-doubt cast a spell to protect her from interference. We just need to break through. Once that happens, we need to get your horn back and you should be able to do take it back and be a whole alicorn again. And I have a plan for that already in motion.”

Twilight nodded numbly. Why was Nightmare Moon helping her?! “And... the bad news?”

“You are full of more magic than ever ever before... enough for an alicorn twice your age even, and you have no way to control, curve or contain it.”

Soarin' watched nervously as Jade, Trixie and Twilight gasped in comprehension. “Uh... what does that mean, for us non-magically versed ponies?”

“It means that if we don't get the horn back soon...”

“I'll explode...” Twilight groaned.

“But... if she needs the horn... how is she gettin' it?” Applejack asked, scratching the ground nervously. “Twilight Spark is not just goin' to just give it to her.”

“Of course not.” Nightmare Moon said. “For Twilight Sparkle to live...” She narrowed her eyes and her tone became grave. “Twilight Spark has to die.”

o.0.o

“That's not much of a stage...” Scootaloo said, looking up at the gallows. “I don't think there's space for that many ponies... okay, maybe four or five, but what's with the ropes?”

Sweetie Belle looked nervous. “This... this is not a show, is it?” she looked up at Cinnamon, who kept her eyes ahead. The mare sighed, closed her eyes and shook her head. “But... but...” the young unicorn's eyes teared up. “This is not... who would do something like this!?”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo looked at each other before standing close to their friend. “What's wrong, Sweetie Belle?” the earth pony asked.

To the side, Daisy Sprout looked in confusion from them to her parents. “Mom? Dad? What's happening?”

The pony guard who had led them to the front of the crowd grimaced, but stayed put. Although he technically was supposed to return to his unit, the commander had given him the Look. The Look meant that it was to his discretion to decide when to leave. Seeing these fillies slowly realizing that something was wrong... he couldn't simply leave. He'd stay, and then help the two adult unicorns guide the four fillies out of the plaza.

“Mom?” Daisy Sprout insisted.

“Darling... I-”

Whatever the mare was about to say was interrupted by the sounds of trumpets.

o.0.o

The crowd gasped as the gates to the castle opened in the distance and a procession started marching down with the bright-white form of Nightmare Flare at the head.

Each one of the alicorn’s steps was marked by a searing flame that left a trail of hoof marks on the stone she walked upon. Her platinum regalia looked blood-red from the light of the eclipse, contrasting sharply with the white-hot of her flaming coat. The helm and spikes gave her a terrifying air of aggressiveness, and more than one pony trembled from her sheer presence.

To her right, Twilight Spark marched, a proud smile on her face, eyes shinning with magical energy. Flanking the pair were five creatures. They were a twisted mockery of equine anatomy, something straight out of nightmares... the strongest looking one, with a bright orange mane had four wings, two bat-like and two feathered pegasus wings. From it’s chin down, scales protected the neck and belly going back to the end of a very dragon-like tail with small spikes at the tip. It’s forelegs ended in sharp claws, but her back legs remained equine in nature, with almost normal but deeply black hoofs. Its shoulders and the rest of her body were still covered in bright yellow fur. The creature’s face remained like that of a pony, but closer in shape to that of Celestia, its eyes were an ember red, glowing with intensity, and the closest ponies could see that beneath its smile lay serrated teeth.

The other creatures looked like living shadows of the first one. Lacking colors and almost leaving no trail behind them other than shivering ponies, the creatures stared ahead; featureless and eyeless faces scanning the crowd from time to time, as if they expected the ponies in the crowd to attack at any moment.

Nightmare Flare and Twilight reached the plaza, the guards had little trouble pushing the few stragglers the shadow creatures had not scared away. The pair climbed up stairs to stand proudly in a balcony to the right of the gallows.

The alicorn turned to look at the other balcony across from her own. Dark blue mist, glistening with starlight, formed a whirlpool on top of it and two ponies stepped out. In the middle, Nightmare Moon stood proudly, bowing her head in acknowledgment to her sister. Jade stood to the dark queen's right, the assassin staring dispassionately at the gallows.

A sudden tremor in the air made the gathered ponies look up. The crowd gasped as three pegasi in dark uniforms split the air above them as they passed overhead. The middle one leaving a rainbow behind as the other two left trails of dark smoke that crackled with lightning. The pegasi pulled up and another one seemed to emerge out of the air and performed a spiral of lightning and smoke around the trails left behind the other three and falling in line besides the leader.

The group split into two pairs, the middle ponies, consisting of the leader with the rainbow trail and the late arrival sped up while the other two banked to the side. Each started to spiral down towards the plaza, joined in their slow descent by two more pegasi.

The four alighted on each side of Nightmare Moon's balcony just as the two leaders left behind descended, one to land facing the crowd at ground level, the other to land at Nightmare Moon's left, to the sound of awed ponies thoroughly impressed by the theatrics.

o.0.o

“That's Rainbow Dash!” Apple Bloom said, staring at the mare that now stood next to Nightmare Moon. The rainbow-maned pegasus was shooting a curious glance down at one of the pegasi on ground level.

“Amazing...” Scootaloo whispered. “Did you see those moves?! All of them are pros! I would recognize those three at the center anywhere! I bet that's Soarin' in the middle, and Misty and Blast!”

“But who are the other two?” Sweetie Belle asked blinking. “Is that... next to Blast... is that... Fluttershy?!”

The three looked at the slightly cringing Shadowbolt standing slightly behind Blast and casting worried looks around. It was when the unidentified Shadowbolt met their gaze, and they saw her gasp that they had their answer.

“Since when is she a member of the Wonderbolts?!” Scootaloo asked, awed.

“Ah don't know if they are Wonderbolts right now, Scootaloo,” Apple Bloom said. “Ah thought the uniforms were different.”

“They're called the ‘Shadowbolts’ now,” The guard who had remained with them said, startling them and the three unicorns that had been quietly listening in to the Crusader's conversation. “They are Nightmare Moon's elite fliers.”

“But... this is so wrong!” Scootaloo finally said. “Why are Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and the Wonderbolts working for Nightmare Moon?! It doesn't make any sense!”

“There are a lot of things that have gone wrong in the last couple of days.” The guard whispered gently. “I would have never thought either of them would serve the evil Nightmare Moon...”

A murmur from the crowds made them pause as they turned towards Nightmare Flare, who was watching in interest as an orange mare walked slowly up the balcony to stand next to Twilight Spark, who grinned widely and nuzzled said mare, who proceeded to blush heavily.

“I-is that...” Sweetie Belle stammered.

“My sister?!” Apple Bloom's eyes were the size of dinner-plates as she watched her older sister nuzzle the dangerous unicorn before bowing submissively to Nightmare Flare, who smirked and nodded.

“Maybe she cast a spell on them!” Apple Bloom said suddenly. “It's the only way this could be happening! My sister is no traitor!”

“Yeah! Rainbow Dash would never follow Nightmare Moon!”

“Neither would Fluttershy,” Sweetie Belle added firmly.

“There ain’t no spell on them,” a voice said from behind them. “But, ah can tell you this; things are not what they seem.”

The three unicorns and the guard watched in trepidation as the three little ponies blanched and turned around to look up at the cloaked pony that stood next to the group. They couldn’t see his face but a piece of hay stuck out of the hood bobbing up and down as if the stallion was chewing on it.

“Now,” he continued. “Ah reckon ah should be asking what you three are doin' here in this plaza so far away from home, but ah also reckon ah will not like the answer either way.”

“Now, see here...” Cinnamon said, stepping before the stallion. “I don't know who you think you are but I am currently in charge of these three fillies and...”

The stallion looked down at her and smiled. “Ah appreciate the sentiment, ma'am, but as Apple Bloom's brother, ah reckon ah can put my two bits into the conversation.”

Cinnamon blinked. “Oh.”

“Now,” Big Macintosh said, looking at the group, including the guard. “This is very important. When things start happening, you, all of you, have to run away. That includes you Mr. and Mrs. Tricks and little Daisy Sprout too. Ah promised that ah would do what ah could to warn y'all, and ah see that y'all have some protection.” he looked at the guard, who nodded. “Ah can't tell you what is goin' to happen. But it will not be pretty. So y'all make sure they get out of here safe, y'hear?”

The guard gulped at the look the big stallion gave him, but his eyes narrowed in determination and he nodded firmly.

Big Mac smiled and gave the guard a friendly punch on the shoulder. “Thank y'all. What is your name, soldier?”

“Ebon Rain, sir.”

“Y'all take care of yourself too, Rain.” Big Mac said, turning around and mixing into the crowd. Soon there was no sign of him.

The group stared into the crowd until Daisy Sprout blinked. “Wait... how did he know my name?!”

o.0.o

Nightmare Flare spoke, her voice boomed over the plaza, silencing all the ponies that were gathered there.

“Ponies of Canterlot.” she started, her eyes sweeping the crowd drawing all attention towards her. “We will correct once and for all the mistakes made by certain foalish ponies by punishing those responsible. With this example, we want to make it perfectly clear where we all stand. We sisters as your rulers, and all of you, as our dear and LOYAL subjects. To this end, we have the unfortunate but necessary duty to see through the punishment of those that have mocked our status and rightful place. Those who would conspire against us.” she turned towards the castle and her horn flared.

The gates opened once more and a group of ponies emerged from the Castle. Six guards in total, three on each side of a lone mint-green unicorn held by two chains attached to a metal band around her neck. The ponies in the crowd were silent as the procession made its way down towards the gallows.

Apple Bloom stared in horror. “Is that... Lyra?”

“Yes.” Ebon Rain nodded. “Apparently she joined a rebellion against the Queens.”

“But... Lyra's not...” Scootaloo looked at the guard in confusion. “She's just a musician! What did she do wrong?”

“She challenged the Queen.” the unicorn guard sighed. “Then she made fun of her. Queen Nightmare Flare does not take kindly to those that mock her.”

They watched in silence as Lyra was led up the stairs by a guard until she stood in the center of the gallows.

“Lyra.” Nightmare Flare's voice was smooth. “Your crimes are as follow: sedition, mocking authority, conspiracy against the Queens, and protecting wanted individuals. You know your crimes. Will you repent, now?”

Lyra sighed. “Your majesties.” she said clearly, looking first at Nightmare Flare, then towards Nightmare Moon. “I have offended you and worked against you... my punishment is therefore just... I... I wish...”

Nightmare Flare shot her sister a slightly smug look, before concentrating again on the unicorn. “Do tell me, dear Lyra, what is it that you wish?”

“I have always wished to perform for you and for your sister... at least once.” Lyra said slowly. “If it pleases you, my Queens, I would fulfill that wish as my last act.”

Again the solar alicorn turned to look at her sister, this time arching an eyebrow. From across the plaza Nightmare Moon stared at the unicorn before looking at Nightmare Flare. The black alicorn shook her head ever so slightly.

Nightmare Flare smirked. “Very well. But you shall not be alone on stage.”

Her horn shimmered as her magic coursed through it and a cracked and charred medallion floated next to her. The crowd stood there, confused, until two screams tore through it. A unicorn and an earth pony were pulled into the air by two similar, but complete medallions.

“Ah.” Nightmare Flare grinned. “There you are.”

“I recognize them...” Twilight Spark whispered to Applejack. “The Earth Pony is Golden Pot-belly, he’s a known merchant with strong ties with several ponies in the court. The other is Flying Staff, one of the teachers at the academy.”

The two were levitated, struggling, onto the gallows where they were promptly bound by the guards and put to each side of Lyra, nooses tight around their necks.

The mint-green unicorn didn't spare them a glance as her harp was given to her by one guard. Nightmare Flare grinned and nodded.

Lyra played, one hoof holding her harp as the other strummed the strings with amazing skill, her horn flickering to aid with magic the creation of the music. Her melody was sad. It was slow and contemplative, yet... some of the undertones of it felt angry if the listener paid attention. Slowly, it enveloped the whole crowd, shushing the mutterings and whispers as the nostalgic tones touched something deep inside everypony.

The melancholic music wound its way into every spectator, and Lyra's horn started to glow brighter. Few ponies caught the tears in her eyes when she closed them and gave herself to the music, letting each movement and feel of the strings bare her soul to the crows, and more importantly, the Queen. With each note her horn's light increased, and each pony surrendered to her melody.

In her balcony, Nightmare Flare stood stock still, eyes wide as she was unable to tear her eyes from the playing unicorn. Slowly tears welled in her eyes until they began running freely down her face. “T-this melody... how...”

Twilight Spark shook her head. There was something wrong happening, she could feel it... the magic in everypony was resonating with the music... how had Lyra... she groaned and shook her head again, focusing. “Spitfire!” she growled finally as the music faded a bit. Nightmare Flare was still paralyzed in place. “Lyra cast a spell of some sort on our Queen! Stop her!”

The Captain of the Guard was immediately in the air, her flight taking her straight at the unicorn, but just as she was about plunge her claws into the unicorn, a pair of black blurs collided with her, sending all three crashing onto the plaza.

The crowd panicked and backed up screaming, allowing Twilight Spark to stare in surprise at Spitfire's antagonists... “Rainbow Dash?!” she shouted. “What? Why?!”

“And what am I?” Soarin' grumbled at being ignored. “Soggy hay?”

Twilight Spark flinched when she heard something behind her. She shot a quick glance that revealed that Nightmare Flare's regalia had cracked in several places, her helm-like crown had even started falling apart.

“I have to... oof!” she never completed her thoughts as a green-maned unicorn in black clothes rammed onto her side, sending her over the side of the balcony to land painfully on the plaza below. She looked up in confusion as Jade jumped over the balcony railing to land next to her, with the purple-winged Shadowbolt landing hesitantly next to her.

The four shadows swiftly created a perimeter around Nightmare Flare, who groaned and stepped back as more of her armor slowly broke off.

“N-nightmare Moon has betrayed us!” Twilight Spark shouted as she stood up, horn flashing. “Royal Escort! Do your jobs and take them down!”

The four shadows jumped into the air, a pair flying towards Nightmare Moon, one rushing to help Spitfire while another rushed Jade and the pegasus.

Before the shadow aiding Twilight Spark got too far, it was interrupted by two lassos that slipped neatly around its neck, stopping it short when they tightened. The twisted unicorn felt her stomach grow cold as she followed the lasso that had come from the balcony.

“Applejack?” she whispered.

The apple farmer looked down at her with a mixture of emotions, but she did not let go of the rope.

The shadow chimera thrashed around, pulling both Applejack and Big Macintosh a few inches forward, but neither brother nor sister gave any sign of slackening their hold.

Tearing her eyes away from Twilight Spark, the farm mare jumped from the balcony to land on top of the chimera, which started bucking and twisting, trying to shake off the pony on its back.

Twilight Spark clenched her teeth and turned to face Jade and the unknown, purple-winged pegasus. “I don't know what inspired you to attack us, but you'll regret it!”

Her horn started glowing, but before she could cast anything she was forced to jump back to avoid Jade's blade.

The pegasus hovered uncertainly, and Spark thanked Nightmare Flare that it was hesitating so much. She just needed to concentrate on the assassin.

o.0.o

Twilight Sparkle watched the green-maned unicorn fight her double and tried to think of ways to help. She didn't know this body well... she had an instinctual grasp of flying, but... it wasn't as though she could perform any tricks, much less fight! Without her horn she was pretty much useless!

Not that Jade actually needed help. It was almost awe inspiring how fluid the unicorn's motions were. Whenever Spark would charge a spell, the white unicorn would already be within striking distance, and would break the purple unicorn's concentration. Minor spells were easier to cast, but also easier to dodge. It was obvious Twilight Spark was getting frustrated, but she was taking hits that Twilight was sure she would have never been able to. What had Nightmare Flare created?

Speaking of whom... Twilight looked up at the balcony to find that the right half Nightmare Flare's armor had broken off, and the fur under it looked... normal. The subtle white of Celestia's fur.

Seeing that Jade and Twilight Spark were busy with each other, the purple pegasus flew up to the balcony.

o.0.o

“S-Spitfire?!” Rainbow Dash stammered as she finally got a good look at the chimera.

“Rainbow Dash...” the creature chuckled. “Didn’t I tell you you didn’t need to be so rough with me” she licked her lips with a pronged tongue, making the rainbow-maned pegasus shiver. The Chimera turned to look at the other pegasus. “And Soarin'... my, that Shadowbolt uniform suits you well.”

“What happened to you?” the male pegasus asked. “We heard that Nightmare Flare cast a spell on you but-”

“The Queen showed me where my loyalty should lie and gave me power to back it up.” the former pegasus grinned. “I will take care of Lyra and then we three can talk.”

“No can do.” Rainbow Dash said, stepping in front of the gallows. “If you want Lyra, you have to go through me first!”

“And me.” Soarin' added, stepping next to Rainbow Dash. “This is not good, Spitfire. This is not you, look at what happened! You're not even a pony now!”

Spitfire's eyes narrowed. “The Queen warned me that there would be traitors even amongst my loved ones...” she grimaced showing rows of pointy teeth. “I will perform my duties!”

With an angry, draconic roar that no equine could possibly produce, the chimera launched herself into the air, pursued immediately by the two Shadowbolts.

o.0.o

“Stay back, Fluttershy!” Misty shouted as she and Blast jumped into the air to engage the chimera flying their way. “We'll handle this one!”

Fluttershy nodded, but her eyes went back to the three... no four fillies that were huddled under two adult unicorns and a unicorn guard, who had cast a shield over them as he looked around. She looked back towards the other Shadowbolts as they each tackled the chimera from different angles.

Above, on the balcony, Nightmare Moon jumped into the air, clashing with her own attacker, leaving her alone while everypony fought.

Gathering her courage, she galloped to the unicorn group.

“Fluttershy!” Sweetie Belle looked at the pegasus with horror. “What's happening?”

“Oh my...” the cream-colored pegasus shook her head. “You shouldn’t be here... none of you. It's very dangerous!”

Nearby, a pony scrambled to get out of the way before a shadow chimera crashed down onto him, the beast thrashing about and injuring several other ponies with its flailing limbs as it tried to right itself. It started to get up, only to be violently pushed back onto a building by the combined strength of Blast and Misty as they landed with all the momentum they had accumulated on the shadow creature.

“You think?!” the guard growled as the fillies and two parents stared in horror at the mangled corpse next to them. “We need to get out of here! But there's no place safe to run with all the ponies around!”

Fluttershy looked around wildly. “There! Under the balcony! It should provide some protection!”

The guard nodded, following the crusaders. He stopped when he noticed the Shadowbolt was not following them. “What about you?”

Fluttershy looked at the battle raging around them, then at the ponies moaning in pain at her hoofs. “I'm staying here... somepony needs to start helping the injured.”

Ebon Rain was speechless. He and the rest of the guards had simply believed that the group of fillies had turned evil along with the Princesses and Sparkle, but this was clearly not the case. Fluttershy was clearly scared, but willing to help, and if the Shadowbolts were trying to help... he looked up at Nightmare Moon. Maybe not all was lost.

“Fluttershy!” he called as she stepped forward. When she looked at him he smiled. “You're a captain! Order the other soldiers to help you! They're just standing there doing nothing!” he turned around and ushered his charges as the pegasus galloped towards the other guards. All they needed was somepony with authority, and Fluttershy was that pony.

o.0.o

While its brethren fought their enemies, the last of the shadow chimeras circled above. It followed the different fights in its corrupted mind, trying to decide who to attack. The ponies running in the plaza were not a target... it was then that it sensed the music.

As Lyra's melody unfolded, the music and magic sought Nightmare Flare as moths seek out a flame. The Sun Queen let out a pained gasp of horror as pieces of her armor cracked and flaked off, powerful spasms shaking her body as the spell continued to fulfil its objective.

Flying up and doing a barrel turn, the chimera shot down towards the gallows.

o.0.o

Trixie watched anxiously as Applejack and Big Macintosh took turns bucking the shadow chimera, each attacking when it was distracted by the other, keeping it from retaliating with their ropes. Her instructions were to remain hidden and help whichever group needed her the most. So far things seemed to be working for them, but how long was that going to last?

Trixie’s attention was split, between the Shadowbolts, the Apples, Jade, Twilight's unexpected flight towards Nightmare Flare, and the safety of her family and those with them. A guard had guided them under the balcony where Nightmare Moon had originally stood. The black alicorn had taken flight and was easily tossing the chimera that attacked her around like a rag-doll, keeping her eyes on Flare and Twilight.

A shout drew her attention up towards the Shadowbolts. The Shadow chimera had batted one out of the way with its wings, and taken advantage of the other’s distraction to slam its hoofs with incredible force on the pegasus’ side. The red and yellow-maned shadowbolt flew through the air almost too fast to follow and crashed through one of the columns holding Nightmare Moon's balcony steady, smashing into the guard watching over her family. The unicorn had been preoccupied with them and had been concentrating his magic to divert fleeing ponies and potential threats, he had no chance to dodge or brace himself. Both ponies slammed against the brick wall of the building.

The wooden structure groaned and half of it fell, several planks burying her parents and making the four fillies scream as the rest of it tilted down. Without any of the adult unicorns they would be crushed to death!

Immediately Trixie's horn shone with magic, levitating the structure just as it was about to crush all of them. She grunted under the effort, but was confident that she could hold it in place long enough for-

The crash almost made her lose her concentration, the balcony falling freely a few inches before she caught it again.

She turned to look at the chimera that had descended onto the gallows and had smashed the levers keeping the trapdoors under Lyra and the other two ponies closed. Neighing in a way that almost sounded like laughter, the shadow then pushed off to attack Nightmare Moon.

Her horn flashed a second time and she managed to catch all three in her levitation spell. Amazingly Lyra still played, her eyes focused on Nightmare Flare.

Trixie strained. She couldn't hold all of it! Slowly, and guiltily, she felt her control slip as she pushed energy into those that she cared for. The magic surrounding Golden Pot-belly failed and she could hear his neck snap from the fall and sudden jolt. The unicorn struggled harder, panicking and making the showmare’s job even more difficult.

Sweat ran down her forehead as she tried to intensify her control, but eventually the unicorn followed the fate of the earth pony. His neck didn't quite break immediately, and she watched in horror, unable to help, as he gasped for air, kicking and jerking until finally, with a shudder his body stopped moving. Only Lyra was left. Her music drifted in the wind, soothing, melancholic, sad... the mint-green unicorn turned to look at Trixie, who fell to one knee.

“Lyra!” Trixie called, grunting with the effort. “Stop playing! Save yourself!”

Lyra smiled softly and shook her head. “Let me go, Trixie... with the last of my magic I will complete the spell.”

“But... you'll die!”

The musician chuckled. “I'm already dead, Trixie,” she said softly, eyes half lidded as a single tear slipped down her cheek. “Please... save those fillies. Forget about me. You can't keep up the levitation for both of us.”

Trixie's eyes teared up. She didn't want to fail. She didn’t want to see her new friends die. She had only known Lyra for a few hours while they plotted with Midnight, but Trixie had felt close to everypony in that group.

Slowly her control went away. She could feel both Lyra and the balcony tremble. “Lyra...”

The musician unicorn closed her eyes.

The magic gave one last desperate pull, then faded.

And suddenly she was falling.

The harp hit the floor, shattering into three pieces, magic flashing out.

On the balcony, Nightmare Flare collapsed with a cry of pain, an extremely worried Twilight Sparkle shouting for the Princess under the Nightmare.

o.0.o

“Hey, where are we going?” Bon-Bon asked Lyra, looking down at the dress her fillyfriend had asked her to wear.

“It's an amazing place! There's nothing like it in Ponyville.” the unicorn replied, a smile brightening her face. “You'll love it!”

Bon-Bon nodded as they walked. “So... about this ‘place’... what are we doing there? Having dinner? Meeting friends?”

Lyra chuckled and kissed the earth pony on the cheek, earning a goofy grin. “Silly. This is just you and me tonight. So no, none of those.”

“But then... what are we doing?” Bon-Bon asked as they turned a corner. She stared at the building. “Oh...”

“That's right!” Lyra said, grabbing her hoof. “We're dancing!”

o.0.o End Chapter 18 o.0.o

f you want to hear an angrier version of the melody Lyra plays, check out THIS LINK at minute 2:16