• Published 23rd Sep 2012
  • 14,311 Views, 282 Comments

The Retribution of Chrysalis - Fallen Prime



The changeling queen must seek aid from Equestria to save her dying race.

  • ...
40
 282
 14,311

Chapter Eight: Shining Armor and Cadance

“Thanks for coming, everypony,” Twilight greeted once Spike returned with the rest of the group, Applejack having arrived toting a cart full of fresh apples. Everypony, with the exception of Chrysalis, stood outside the front door of the library, anxiously tracking the rise of the sun and fearing what would come when it cleared the horizon.

"We're here for her," Rainbow Dash clarified. "Not for you."

"You're here for both of us," Twilight countered. "I don't know what's taking her so long to come out, but... I had something to say before she—"

"Save yer breath, sugarcube," Applejack interrupted. "Ah ain't mad about what ya said yesterday. Ah mean, Ah am a little... but Ah know ya didn’t mean it. Ya weren't thinkin' straight."

"That's not an excuse," Twilight continued. "I was horrible to all of you. I said terrible things that I had no right to say. I let my feelings for Chrysalis get in the way of everything else. You... you were all right about her, and I was too obsessed to see it. I was too scared of her taking you all away from me... and I'm still scared that I might have driven you away myself."

Twilight felt herself coming to tears again for what must have been the hundredth time, but the feeling subsided when Fluttershy broke off from the group and embraced her. "I already forgave you, Twilight," she assured her, sounding close to tears herself. “One fight won’t change anything between us.”

“Your words were harsh,” Rarity added. “And they resonated on a very personal level. Nevertheless, you are still my friend, and I find it rather difficult to hold it against you.”

Oddly enough, Pinkie Pie remained silent. Her mane still drooped, and her colors were still muted. Her characteristic cheer hadn’t returned since last night, it seemed. In fact, she actually looked somewhat depressed. It concerned Twilight enough to break free from Fluttershy’s hug and walk towards the pink earth pony.

“Pinkie, what’s wrong? I thought you’d appreciate that I was apologizing.”

“I do,” Pinkie replied. “It’s just... what you said was really mean. You sounded like you hated me. You said I didn’t even deserve to be the Element of Laughter! I... I thought you didn’t want to be my friend anymore.”

“That could never happen,” Twilight assured her. “I love all of you too much to push you away. I don’t know how I could live without laughter in my life. You’ll always be my friend.”

Pinkie’s typical vibrancy returned in an instant, but there were still tears forming in her eyes, and the smile she wore was warmer and more subdued than her usual brand. Without another word, she offered her own hug, which Twilight all too gladly accepted.

All that was left was Rainbow, who kept a safe distance away from Twilight even as she approached Pinkie for a hug.

“What about you, Rainbow Dash?” Twilight inquired. “You’re not still bitter, are you?”

“I have the right,” Rainbow replied. “I know, you were stressed and you didn’t mean it, but you still said it. You still crossed that line, and crossing back over doesn’t mean it never happened. I won’t say we’re not friends anymore, I could never do that to you. But just the fact that you could even bring my loyalty into question and insult everypony else...”

She paused a moment, on the verge of succumbing to tears as well. “I... I think I know how it must have felt for you when Discord got to all of us. It really hurt to hear you say that, Twilight. I don’t want us to stop hanging out, and I guess I forgive you and all, but I’m not just gonna brush that off. I’m sorry, but I’m probably still gonna be sore about this for a while.”

Twilight sighed. It sounded like she might have to work a little to fix things completely with Rainbow Dash, but they weren’t completely broken either. Just as Chrysalis had attempted with her, she would have to earn her full respect back. Making the Element of Loyalty feel betrayed was not an easy feat, and she feared that it would be even harder to regain her favor. It would be best to start immediately, to ask what could be done to make it up to her. Perhaps a pair of tickets to the next Wonderbolts show and a day in her company? It wouldn’t be cheap, and it would be nowhere near enough, but perhaps it would be a good start.

Before she could get the chance to make the proposition, however, she heard a sniffle coming from the library. Everyone turned around to see Chrysalis standing outside the doorway, levitating a book with her magic. She looked like she just made a trip from Everfree to Tartarus and back again.

“It was in with the anatomy books,” she stated with barely any trace of emotion. “I’d been searching since you left the room. I... needed the distraction.”

“Oh, Chrysalis, I’m so sorry!” Fluttershy cried, running over to comfort her. “Spike told me everything he knew. Losing everything you cared about like that... I don’t even know what to say. It’s so awful!”

“Leave the grieving to me,” Chrysalis replied. “They perished by no fault of yours.”

“Technically, it was Shining Armor’s fault,” Rainbow added.

“Rainbow Dash!” Rarity shouted. “What made you think she wanted to hear you say something so accusatory and inconsiderate at a time like this!?”

“Rarity’s right. Besides, if it’s anypony’s fault... it’s mine.”

All eyes turned to Twilight. She knew she welcomed it with her comment, hence her making it in the first place, but it still made her incredibly uncomfortable.

“I was the one who let this happen,” she explained as she began to pace around the yard. “If I’d just listened to Fluttershy and Rarity and given Chrysalis the benefit of the doubt, Princess Celestia would have already acted by now, and Chrysalis would have been gone. If I really didn’t want to deal with her, I should’ve just given her what she wanted.”

“Twilight,” Chrysalis started, “it’s not your—”

“I even knew I was letting more of the changelings die the longer I kept her waiting,” Twilight continued, ignoring the interruption and losing control of the wavering of her voice with every word. “And it still didn’t stop me. I let them all die because of some stupid grudge I couldn’t let go of!”

“Twilight, please, do not blame yourself for—”

But Twilight still spoke over the interruption, and she started pacing faster, tears streaking down her face. “I was so convinced that I was being the hero that I managed to make myself the villain! If anything, I’m worse than I ever thought she was, because at least she never committed genocide!”

“Enough!” Chrysalis cried, looking ready to succumb to her emotions again.

Twilight fell silent at Chrysalis’ outburst. Somehow, she didn’t blame her for the deaths of thousands. She withheld from Princess Celestia the information she would have needed to save them, and she did it very much intentionally, so how could the queen of the newly dead not blame her? Who else was there to blame?

Without another word, Twilight telekinetically grabbed the book from Chrysalis’ grasp and opened it to a page the queen had helpfully marked. This was the exact spell she had been looking for. Long-distance communication. It looked incredibly complicated, but manageable. It may be close, but she was sure she could perform it and still be left with time to spare.

And while they all waited for the arrival of Princess Celestia, she knew exactly who to contact with it.


It was to be another early morning for the Royal Guard. Shining Armor had returned from his honeymoon just the previous night, and he’d suspected that readjusting to the waking hours required to perform his duties as captain would be a chore. To his surprise, however, he was awake and alert right on time, like the routine had been hard-wired into his subconscious.

Cadance was the one who struggled to get out of bed. It wasn’t the first time she’d asked to join him for morning duties, and she didn’t think it would be the last, but waking up just as the moon was coming down was always the hardest part. She figured she’d be fine once she got some caffeine in her system, and lo and behold, she was now almost as alert as her loving husband.

They stood together at Shining’s current post by the gateway leading into Canterlot Castle. It would be time to begin rounds soon, but for now, they were content with watching the rising sun, with Cadance sipping coffee as she leaned affectionately up against her husband. The perfect start to what could shape up to be a perfect day.

The pair looked up to the tallest tower of the castle, to the balcony adjacent to Princess Celestia’s private quarters. Sure enough, the regal alicorn was standing out on that balcony, her energies focused on raising the sun. Neither had the best of views of her from their current position, but even from such a distance, she seemed somewhat preoccupied, as if some urgent matter had come up. Shining got a sneaking suspicion that she would have a new briefing for his Guard once her daily duties had been performed.

Not that he could entertain the thought much, though, because his attention was abruptly grabbed by his wife.

“Um... Shining? I think Twilight wants a word with us.”


Chrysalis was rather impressed. The spell seemed to work without any major complications, and she could actually view the couple in their current location without actually being there, as if seeing Canterlot through a window. And a window was exactly how it appeared: a small spatial window rimmed with a faint magenta glow. A light prod confirmed to her that it was indeed more akin to a window than a portal, and hazarding a glance behind it let her see that she... well, couldn’t see it from the back. Twilight had effectively created a limited gateway to another location.

“I... I think it worked,” Twilight panted, having exerted herself far more than she must have been used to in order to perform the spell. She looked ready to collapse, but Fluttershy stood beside her to help her maintain her balance.

Chrysalis saw the wife grab the husband’s attention and direct it towards the portal. He looked excited, if confused, to see his younger sibling again. “Twily! Wow, that can’t have been an easy spell to pull off. Must’ve taken a lot out of you.”

“I’m better than you think at this,” Twilight greeted, her physical state contradicting her words. “But right now, that’s not important. Something awful has happened, and I think you and Cadance need to know.”

“Need to know wha—” Princess Cadance began, but stopped herself the moment she noticed the changeling queen off to the side.

Chrysalis locked eyes with the mare on the other side. She had wronged this mare not long ago, imprisoning and impersonating her so she could feast on her groom-to-be’s love and weaken his hold on the force field spell. And she’d gained so much energy from Shining Armor; it was enough for her to surpass Celestia in power and sustain herself for days, if not weeks.

None of this came to mind, however. When she looked into the alicorn’s deep purple eyes, all she saw was red. She’d escaped the caves. She’d blown her cover. She’d rejuvenated Shining Armor. And together, this couple sent an entire race hurtling to their deaths with the force of their love.

They were the reason her original plan failed. They were the reason her subjects died.

“Twilight, get back!” Cadance shouted, clearly alarmed by Chrysalis’ presence.

Shining took notice of her as well, and he immediately shifted into a defensive stance. “Twilight, why is the changeling queen there with you!?”

“It’s a long story,” Twilight replied, “and she’s the reason I had to try to talk to you now. It’s a lot easier for me that you’re both together, since this is something that I think affects both of you, but I promise, Chrysalis isn’t here to hurt anypony.”

“I wasn’t,” Chrysalis corrected her. “But I also never intended to see these two again. I could die happy if I never did.”

“Same here, changeling,” Shining retorted, which riled her up even more. “What are you even doing back here in Equestria? Trying to get to my wife again?”

“Don’t tempt me,” Chrysalis hissed, stepping into full view. “Right now I think I’d love nothing more than to take one of you and suck your love dry whilst I make the other watch.”

“I’m not gonna let that happen. And you still haven’t answered me. Why are you here?”

“It’s of no consequence to you,” Chrysalis replied. “And what does it even matter now? I’ve already failed.”

“Then you won’t mind if I send a few of my pegasi over there to collect you,” Shining threatened, slowly advancing towards the window. “I’ll let Princess Celestia decide what she wants to do with you from there.”

“Why not simply wait?” Chrysalis remarked, advancing from her own end. “She’s due to arrive once the sun rises. And I believe her judgment earns more precedence than yours, as well as more respect.”

“Don’t you dare insult my Guard!” Shining yelled. “How would you like it if I took pot shots at your changelings?”

“I will kill you where you stand if you even try!” Chrysalis shouted. The two now stood face-to-face, their horns scraping the portal on their respective ends without passing through it. “I am in absolutely no mood to put up with such grievous disrespect, especially not from the likes of you!”

“And what makes me so special?” Shining inquired. “Why am I so awful that you won’t let me say anything about your subjects?”

“How about the fact that you and your beloved wife killed all of them!?”


Shining Armor backed away at Chrysalis’ outburst. He had no idea how he was supposed to react. He’d never been accused of massacring an entire race before, and of course, he didn’t much appreciate it. It was impossible to imagine and even harder to believe, and accusing Cadance of the same was completely, unthinkably out of line! The whole thing was too outlandish to take seriously.

Then again... he never did hear from the changelings again. He never got any reports on changeling activity since the invasion. At the same time, though, he never considered that the reason for that was that there wasn’t any possible way for them to act anymore. And every changeling forced out of the city, Chrysalis included, had been thrown far out of sight, so it wasn’t a stretch to assume that there were a few casualties, but surely not all of them, right?

“You’re lying,” he asserted, though the panic in his voice betrayed him. “Twilight, please tell me she’s lying!”

“She’s not,” Twilight replied. “The ones that didn’t die from their injuries went out starving. She tried linking to their hive mind, but it was empty. And she’d been here for two days before I finally trusted her enough to send the cry for help to Princess Celestia, but I stalled it long enough for them all to waste away.

“Basically... the three of us drove the changeling race to extinction.”

“Not you,” Chrysalis corrected. “Only them. And if I can’t save my changelings, I will gladly make the trek to Canterlot to avenge them!”

“You don’t want our blood on your hooves,” Shining argued.

“With all the blood on yours,” Chrysalis countered, “how will I know how much of it belongs to you? It was your force field. It was your spell. It was your love that slaughtered countless thousands of my people! My head should be filled with the voices of my loyal subjects, but you silenced each and every one of them!”

“Stop it!”


Cadance had to shut Chrysalis up. She couldn’t believe this. She’d planned for a pleasant morning in Shining Armor’s company, watching her aunt raise the sun while her husband did roll call and whatever else his position demanded of him. It was her first day back in Canterlot, and she wanted it to be at least some close approximation of perfect. After the wedding debacle, she didn’t know if she could hope for true perfection anymore.

Instead, she was looking through some window to Ponyville that the young mare she once foalsat for created, listening as the thing that had nearly stolen her husband away from her accused them both of committing genocide.

And she couldn’t argue with it. She never tried to kill any of the changelings she helped repel; she just wanted to force them out of the city so they’d stop attacking everypony. At the same time, though, she didn’t try not to, and the act of expanding the field as quickly as possible also sent them flying as forcefully as possible.

She couldn’t deny that it could be true. But she couldn’t stand being vilified for it.

“Please, just stop,” Cadance insisted, eyes misting up and voice wavering. “I’m not going to act like you’re wrong about anything you’re saying, but what else could we have done? Your changelings were attacking ponies!”

“My changelings were starving!” Chrysalis spat back. “They needed love to survive, and there was nowhere else to get it within the city. The whole reason I chose Canterlot on that day was because I’d hoped to feed all of them at once. Hundreds of thousands had gathered to witness your wedding, and it would have been enough to sustain them all with plenty left to spare.”

“Did you even think of what you’d be doing to those ponies if you drained all of their love!?”

“I didn’t care,” Chrysalis responded. “And with the state they were in, I couldn’t afford to. Most of them would have been dead in days, if not hours, if they did not find something quickly. I pose the same question to you: what else could I have done?”

“Can we please stop fighting?” Fluttershy interjected, moving away from Twilight so she could try to stand on her own. “None of you could have done anything else to help those you were meant to protect, and none of you can take back what happened because of it. Even though it was still wrong, you can’t be faulted for doing it.

“But... you’re still sorry for it, right?”


There was a very long, very awkward pause after Fluttershy basically told them to apologize for invasion and mass murder. She buried her face behind her mane and attempted to hide behind Twilight.

Chrysalis was completely speechless. As much respect as she had for the timid mare, she thought it foolish to apologize for trying to solve the problem of her race’s starvation. She may not have thought it through enough, but she wasn’t convinced of the existence of another fast enough solution.

However... she was aware of one thing she could apologize for.

“I never did hold your race in high regard,” she began. “I figured that fraternizing with ponykind was equivalent to playing with your food, because for a changeling, that’s exactly what they were. The most loving race on this earth, and thus the most plentiful banquets for my own kind.

“But I had to set that apathy aside to further my goals here. And meeting Fluttershy... then Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and finally, your sister... it’s given me some legitimate respect for you ponies. I have made friends in Ponyville these past few days, and I have seen their worth of my sympathy.”

She paused, grimacing. This was all so agonizingly difficult for her to swallow her pride and say, especially to the ponies responsible for her predicament. She couldn’t bear to make eye contact with them as she concluded her apology. “With that in mind... I apologize for my subjects’ behavior and assault at Canterlot, and for all the ponies that may have been harmed. At this point, it is far too late for them to apologize for themselves.”

Another silence. Shining and Cadance looked at each other, apparently contemplating their response. Chrysalis hoped they would apologize in turn, or at least attempt to, because she would not be held accountable for what she might do to them if they dismissed it and fought her further.

“I... I guess I’m sorry too,” Cadance finally replied. “Shining Armor and I did what had to be done to protect Equestria, but I never wanted to wipe out your race like that. If I could’ve done it any other way, I would, but... this is just a horrible thing to have on my conscience. How am I even supposed to react to—”

“Why did you only apologize for what they did?” Shining interrupted. “You’re not exactly blameless either.”

“Fine,” Chrysalis relented. “I’m sorry about imprisoning your bride and siphoning your love for her. But my actions were necessary, and I will not say I regret it.”

“Well, then you’re not really sorry, are you?” Shining countered. “And even if you were, actions have consequences. I don’t care what you’ve been up to for the last two days, you still attacked Canterlot. You still kidnapped my wife, used me like a pawn, and directly assaulted the ruler of this kingdom. I’m going to see to it that you answer for those crimes.”

“Then you’d better make sure we answer for ours.”

Everypony turned to look at Cadance, in utter collective shock over her statement. “I don’t know how you can be so calm about this, Shining,” she stated tearfully. “We took from her everything she ever loved. If her actions deserve punishment, ours deserve worse.”

“Cadance, she tried to take over Equestria!” Shining countered.

“And we killed her subjects for it! We did what we had to do, but I wish we didn’t. I don’t even think I’ll ever be able to sleep at night knowing I helped make this happen.”

“Plus,” Twilight added, “I think she’s paid enough. I’ve been making her work for my trust at the library, and she did everything I asked her to without fighting me over it. If I wasn’t convinced by then that she suffered enough, I think her finding the hive mind empty a few hours ago did it.”

After a brief pause, Shining addressed his sister. “Twily... I’m sorry about all this arguing. You probably didn’t need all this stress. But I don’t really think it’s up to you to decide whether she’s paid her dues.”

“You’re right,” came a voice behind Shining. “It’s up to me.”

Chrysalis watched anxiously as Princess Celestia descended from the sky and came into view on the Canterlot end of the portal. Everypony else bowed before their ruler, but she paid them no mind. Her harsh gaze was directed squarely at the changeling on the other side. It was enough to make Chrysalis back away despite the miles between them.

Celestia focused her magic on the portal, replacing Twilight’s magenta glow with her own golden aura. The gateway expanded further, touching the ground and giving the appearance of an open doorway. After hesitantly prodding at it and seeing her hoof move beyond its boundaries, Twilight stepped through and motioned for the others to follow. Once the six ponies, Spike and Chrysalis crossed over into Canterlot, Celestia closed the portal.

“Celestia,” Chrysalis began, “I know my actions were—”

“You’re coming with me,” Celestia declared. “All of you.”

Celestia’s horn glowed with a blinding light, and with a flash almost bright as the sun itself, all eleven of them vanished.