• Published 18th Oct 2011
  • 7,779 Views, 73 Comments

Metanoia - littlerobotbird



When Twilight begins to lose control over her magic, our six heroes hunt for answers.

  • ...
1
 73
 7,779

10 [Arc 01 - Perturbation, Part Six] <rev. 08.23.2014>

“—has been cleared and court has been canceled for the evening.”

“Excellent.”

“Milady?”

“Is there more?”

“Yes, milady. Councilor—”

“Wishes for me to reconsider once more?”

“Yes, milady.”

“Tell him that I have long considered it and apologize for our inability to come to a more mutually agreeable outcome.”

“Milady?”

“He'll know exactly what I mean.”

“…”

“Don't look worried. He's nowhere near as scary as he acts.”

“To you, perhaps, milady.”

“Just mention Whinnyapolis to him. That’ll straighten him out.”

“Duly noted.”

“…”

“And as to the other preparations, your majesty?”

“Have them brought here and send for the conduits.”

“When do you wish to receive them?”

“As soon as possible.”

“…”

“You are excused.”

“…”

“…”

“Your majesty?”

“Is there something on your mind, Miss Duster?”

“Er… well, yes. Though I fear it is not my place to say.”

“You may speak regardless.”

“Thank you, your majesty.”

“…”

“I wish to give my thanks. The young miss deserves as much… I think so at least.”

“…”

“Good luck, your majesty.”

“…”

“…”

“To us all…”

[o-0-o]

“C'mon, Fluttershy! We totally need to try the zipline again!”

“I-I don't know, Rainbow. It's really more for the younger ponies, isn't it?”

“Yeah, the ones that can't fly yet, but c'mon, it's still fun!”

“I-If you say so.”

“Then, c'mon. While the line's still short!”

A pair of cyan hooves met yellow-coated flank as Fluttershy was pushed towards the line, a sheen of nervous sweat on her forehead as her hooves dragged furrows in the cloudy street.

Her stomach had only just caught up with the rest of her body mere moments prior and already they were going again?

She gulped they drew closer to what was surely becoming the bane of her existence. Or at least the bane of the last half-hour as they queued up for the fifth of sixth time.

As Rainbow bounced excitedly in line, Fluttershy glanced back to where her parents had sat down on a patch of cleared out cloud. She could feel her heart leap into her throat watching their expressions, but, try as she might, she couldn't make heads nor tails of them. They sat beside one another, flank to flank as they spoke, never looking at each other.

Her mother wore an unreadable smile, eyes on Fluttershy and Rainbow. Her father's expression was nearly blank, watching on the wandering crowds that marched up and down the fair boulevard.

“Hey, Fluttershy, you okay?”

“Oh… I'm fine…” Fluttershy replied, her concentration broken.

“You sure?” Dash examined her idly. “You look a little bit greener than usual. Like, neon lime or something. Doesn’t look so good.”

“Oh, maybe I'm just a little, um, queasy.”

“Queasy? From this?” She jabbed a hoof in the direction of the zipline.

One end was anchored to Cloudsdale, the other end attached at ground level far below. The sight of the rope stretched out so far below sent an involuntary shudder through Fluttershy by itself, her wings ruffling nervously.

“It's just… really far…”

“Aww… c'mon, ‘Shy,” Rainbow said, hitting Fluttershy softly in the shoulder with a friendly hoof. “I thought you were over that. I mean, c'mon, a pegasus afraid of heights, right?”

Fluttershy didn't answer, turning away from her friend and shuffling nervously. She knew she shouldn't be afraid of heights. She was a pegasus after all.

The air was her meant to be her element, her domain. It was just that, everytime she looked down from Cloudsdale…

“Hey… it's cool if you don't want to do it again,” Rainbow offered, giving her a reassuring nudge. “I mean, you did look a little sick after the last one. Maybe you've, uh… got a bug or something.”

“Maybe.”

“Wanna go sit down for a sec?”

Fluttershy simply nodded, her eyes watery as she was led out of line to a nearby, clear patch of cloud. The pair sat down, Fluttershy stretching herself out flat on the ground. Her eyes trailed back to her parents, watching them through the gaps in the meandering crowds.

“You sure you're okay?” Dash asked in a strangely quiet tone, drawing Fluttershy’s eyes away. “You've been kinda quiet all day… even for you.”

“I'm okay.”

“Hundred-percent sure?”

“Yeah,” Fluttershy replied stoically, closing her eyes as she listened for the soft breeze.

“Fluttershy. I know I'm not the best at this kinda junk, but if you want to talk or whatever, I'm still here. I'm your wingpony after all.”

“I know you are…”

“Fluttershy?”

“Yes, Twilight?”

Fluttershy's eyes immediately snapped open to find the purple unicorn before her, a filly just like herself.

“Twilight? Who the hay’s Twilight?” Rainbow echoed as she shifted her gaze from Fluttershy to the unicorn. “You know her?”

“Y-yes…” Fluttershy replied, staring at the filly unicorn standing before her with a smile on her face.

“I think we did it, Fluttershy!” she yelled out excitedly, bouncing like… well, like a little filly, circling around the pegasus pair.

“What? What'd you do?” Rainbow asked, scratching her mane with a hoof as she tracked Twilight’s excited bounces. “Am I being pranked or… hey, wait a second…”

“We did it, Fluttershy! We did it!”

“Wh-what'd we do, Twilight?”

“We did this!” Twilight stopped bouncing, motioning around with her hooves. “All this! I'm not supposed to be here, Fluttershy! Not like this and not at all! We're figuring it out!”

“We are?”

“Of course we are, silly,” she replied with a bright smile, giving the pegasus a quick, friendly nuzzle before returning to her bounces.

“Wait…” Dash intoned, staring at Twilight, eyes on her forehead.

“What is it, Rainbow?”

Rainbow turned to Fluttershy. “She's a unicorn.”

“Well… of course she is…”

“You're friends with a unicorn…”

“Well, yes… so are you.”

“Okay, gonna ignore that for a sec. You're friends with a unicorn?”

“Yes, I am.”

“A unicorn in Cloudsdale.”

“Yes, Rainbow.”

“A unicorn… walking around Cloudsdale. Am I the only one seeing the problem here?”

“Oh, Rainbow, just because she's a unicorn doesn't mean she…” Fluttershy trailed off as her eyes went wide.

She spun to locate Twilight, but she found only a filly-sized hole in the cloud street below which she could hear a distant, wailing scream.

“Where'd she—”

“Twilight!” Fluttershy didn't hesitate, diving through the cloud with a powerful flap of her wings.

“Fluttershy!” Twilight called out as Fluttershy stretched herself out fully and folded back her wings, the winds tearing at her.

She could feel the chill of the high altitude as she pierced through them, chasing the string a filly-sized holes through the scattered clouds. The glow of the setting sun cast a yellow hue over the cloudscape that stretched out as far as one could see. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the royal castle in Canterlot in the distance, the moon peeking out from behind it. One eye on her target, she stared at the moon at the very edge of her vision, feeling something strange.

An odd presence drew her attention as a dark stain stretched across the lunar body. The mare in the moon stared as Twilight's flailing form loomed larger.

Larger and closer.

“Fluttershy, quick!” she heard a voice yell from behind her.

“Oh my goodness, oh my goodness…”

She heard the familiar scream as they shot downwards, eyes tearing up as the wind snapped at her face. Far below, as the ground rushed up to meet them. A familiar cliff side in the middle of the Everfree growing large in her vision.

Twilight's piercing scream brought Fluttershy back to her goal as she grasped one of the unicorn's hooves—

—and Rainbow Dash grabbed the other.

“Phew…” Twilight breathed a sigh of relief as she found herself supported securely by the pair. Suddenly, she slipped a bit from Fluttershy grasp and quickly they lowered towards the ground.

“Sorry, girls. I'm not used to holding anything more than a bunny or two.” Fluttershy blushed nervously, Twilight's eyes on the cliff face as they descended.

As they reached the ground, setting the unicorn down safely, Fluttershy turned to face her friends.

Or what remained of them…

“Twilight?”

“I know…”

Fluttershy looked to find it was just three of them, a trio of blank, wisplike pony statues standing beside them. She could feel the cold chill as darkness descended on them, the light of afternoon blotted out by the eternal night that Nightmare Moon had promised.

“Is somepony going to explain what’s going on here?” a brash voice demanded, drawing both ponies attention.

“Rainbow!” Fluttershy gasped out, immediately tackling her to ground and squeezing her tight. “Rainbow, you're here!”

“Yeah, I'm here! But where the hay is here and… oh…”

“What is it, Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked worriedly, allowing Rainbow to slip from her grasp and roll to her hooves.

“I think, uh… I think my brain just caught up or something… and…”

Rainbow shook her head furiously, hitting it with a hoof a couple times for good measure. “What's going on here, Twilight? One second I was back in Cloudsdale… as a little filly. Now I'm in Everfree with you girls and back to being a mare.”

“I don't really have the specifics to be honest,” Twilight replied, scratching at the back of a foreleg, “but, as far as I can tell, none of this is real… even us.”

“You, me and Fluttershy?”

“No. Just you and me. We're in Fluttershy's head judging by the memories.”

“Um, girls, if you wouldn't mind?” Fluttershy interrupted timidly.

“What's up, Fluttershy?” Twilight smiled brightly, excitement hardly contained.

“Can you not talk like I'm not here… if that's okay.”

“Sorry. This is just a bit complicated and well… weird. Really weird.”

“Wait, so, we're in your head?” Rainbow asked, bringing her muzzle within a few inches of Fluttershy's, examining Fluttershy head as if looking for an entrance, peering deeply into her ear canal.

“It seems so.”

“But you're here too?”

“Y-yes.” Fluttershy shrank back, knocking away the cyan hoof attempting to pry open her ear.

“How does that make any sense? I mean, I feel real”—Dash paused to chomp down on her foreleg, letting out a loud yelp—“and able to feel pain.”

“Rainbow, you're not dreaming. Don't be silly.”

“Well, if I'm not me, then where am I? The real me, I mean—” She staggered back as a pair of yellow hooves wrapped themselves around her, a bundle of pink and yellow burying into her chest. “Er… Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy didn't answer. She simply held on tighter, cyan fur dampening with tears.

“Fluttershy? Twilight, what's wrong with her?” Dash asked, the tiniest tremor underscoring her voice.

“Um… Rainbow Dash… I don't really know how to put this but you—the real you—died.”

“What?”

The cyan pegasus sat down hard, taking Fluttershy with her.

Fluttershy pressed herself into her friend's chest harder as she felt an awkward hoof brush through her mane.

“It's okay, Dashie… you're here now,” Fluttershy whispered, choking the tears back as she squeezed as hard as she could.

“I… guess…” she croaked out in response, running her hoof down Fluttershy's back in jerky, unsteady motions. “Kinda can't breathe, Shy.”

“S-sorry…” Fluttershy released her, sitting down next to her and leaning against her friend's shoulder.

“So, um, how?” Rainbow asked before coughing softly. “How did it happen, I mean? Was it awesome?”

“Really, Rainbow?” Twilight asked incredulously, cocking an eyebrow at the now smirking pegasus. “You just found out you’re dead and that's what you want to know?”

“Hey, if it happened, it happened. No use in being sad about it forever.” Rainbow shrugged, hoof continuing to run down Fluttershy’s back. “And besides… I'm curious.”

“Well, you're Rainbow Dash alright.” Twilight chuckled, trotting over to the cyan pegasus to give her a friendly nuzzle. “Good to have you with us again.”

“Yeah… with you where though?”

“You don't recognize it?”

“Well, yeah. That's the cliff where… Ah…” Her face fell as she looked from the cliff to the motionless statues beside them. “The night we defeated Nightmare Moon?”

“Exactly.” Twilight motioned to the night sky, the moon lighting the cliff face, its surface devoid of the gray silhouette for the first time in a thousand years.

“Sooo, if this is a memory, what does that make us?”

“Er… well”—Twilight tapped a hoof against her chin—“I guess we're memories too, but I’m not sure to be honest.”

“I think…” Fluttershy began before falling silent, eyes flicking between Twilight and Rainbow.

“Spit it out, ponygirl,” Rainbow said with a gentle smile and roll of her eyes. “It's not like we're going to make fun of you. And we're not real anyways.”

“Well, um, like Twilight said, I think you two are memories or a mash of them,” Fluttershy whispered, brow furrowed as she thought back on all that had happened in what felt like only a scant few hours.

“Hmm… a conglomeration of memories given mild sentience… sounds like a legitimate theory, Fluttershy,” Twilight commented with a slight grin. “Better than anything I could’ve come up with, though, I am you in that case, so I guess it's exactly what I could’ve come up with.”

“Okay, so we're glomerated memories given sentences,” Dash motioned with a hoof for Twilight to get on with it. “So, what're we doing here?”

“Well… I figured that we needed to look for you.”

“And besides my exceedingly amazing awesomeness, why?”

“Um, well, since all this started with you… I thought it might end with you too.”

“Okay, then, you've got me. Now what?”

“I don't know?”

Rainbow promptly fell back to the ground with a sigh of exasperation.

“What are we trying to do, Twilight?” Fluttershy asked with a genuine curiosity, remembering the unicorn's panicked words at the library.

“Well… we needed to find Rainbow. I honestly thought something would happen when we did”—her tail flicked in agitation—"but apparently not.”

“Back at the library, you kept talking about going back to where it started too.”

“Well,” Twilight began with a chuckle, “I don't think we get much more beginning than this night… and…”

“Oh…”

The thought had struck both at the same moment, Rainbow staring at them with curiosity as they fell completely silent, just staring at one another as a pair of grins slowly formed.

“Uh… either of you gonna give a pony a break here?”

“Rainbow, don't you get it?” Twilight asked, an undercurrent of excitement in her voice.

“This all started when we went to the old castle,” Fluttershy continued.

“Old Castle? Where we beat Nightmare Moon?”

“And the snake golem too!” Twilight added.

“Snake what-um?”

“Big, giant snake made of stone. You were bit by it.” Twilight stared, Rainbow seeming entirely nonplussed. “You tried to buck it right in the face! You don't remember that?”

Rainbow shook her head. “Nope, but that sounds like kind of an awesome way to go.”

“Do you remember bucking a dragon in the face?”

“Yeah. Still don't know why you let him off like that though,” Rainbow stated with an indignant huff. “He was still a jerk for taking a nap there.”

“What's the last thing you remember before now, Rainbow?”

“Um, I went over to Fluttershy's cottage… she was showing me how to make soup from scratch,” Rainbow answered, drawing a smirk out of Twilight. “What? My parents are coming to Ponyville for a visit! I’m supposed to entertain them or whatever…” She continued, a soft blush creeping its way over her face.

“Fluttershy?” Twilight turned from Dash to Fluttershy only to find her curled up in a trembling ball.

“Y-yes…?”

“Fluttershy, you okay?” Dash asked, eyes widening.

“F-fine…” she whispered through chattering teeth, fearful eyes darting between the pair as they looked upon her with concern. “P-please… Please don't make me remember it…”

“Er…”

Twilight tapped a hoof as Rainbow placed hers on Fluttershy's shoulder.

“What don't you want to remember?” Dash asked, her voice seeming distant.

“Fluttershy… I think you have to.”

“No… I don't want to. Rainbow's here. If I remember… she might… she might…”

“What's she talking about, Twilight?”

“She doesn't want to remember you dying, Dash…”

“D… does she need to?”

“I think she might…” Twilight whispered in reply. “There's something keeping her here, Dash. Something real bad. It all started with that… If we go back to the beginning, that beginning, then we might be able to figure out what's going on before it's too late.”

“Too late?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh…” Dash was quiet a moment before she burrowed underneath Fluttershy and standing up, leaving a shocked yellow pegasus draped her back.

“Rainbow?” she gasped out, kicking her legs softly as she tried to slide off of her friend.

“Fluttershy. Are you listening to Twilight?”

“Y-yes…”

“Do you understand?”

“Yes…”

“Alright,” Rainbow muttered, dipping her head to allow Fluttershy to slip onto her own hooves. “I'm not going to abandon you. I might be a memory or conglomeration or whatever the hay Twilight said, but I am still Rainbow Dash, got it?”

“Yes… thank you.”

“Okay. Now, I want you to listen to me carefully. If there's something here, something bad, then you—we are gonna have to do something about it,” she spoke carefully, rose-colored eyes staring down Fluttershy. “I'm not going to have my best friend from Cloudsdale sitting around moping while mind worms or whatever eat her brains.”

“Mind worms?” Twilight snickered a little, drawing a smile from both pegasi.

“First thing that came to mind. Sue me.”

“I think you read too many of those science fiction comics, Rainbow,” Fluttershy muttered, a small smile growing on her face.

“Well, I read a lot of them with you, if you remember.”

Fluttershy simply smiled at Rainbow for a moment. Even if she wasn't the real real Rainbow Dash, she was real enough.

That thought alone relaxed her.

“Alright, so what's the plan, egghead?” Dash asked, breaking the happy silence that had taken hold.

“Well, we need to get to that castle,” the unicorn began, staring off into the forest. “Or rather, we need to get to that moment. If Fluttershy can remember it, we should get there in no time at all. It worked to get to you.”

“Okay,” Rainbow murmured in response before glancing over at Fluttershy.

The ease Fluttershy had felt was all but gone at Twilight’s words. Her body immediately felt on the verge of collapse at the merest prospect of remembering it.

“Fluttershy, do you think you can at least try?”

She didn't answer, her throat feeling scarcely wide enough for air to pass much less words. Slowly, she shook her head, eyes lowering to the dirt.

“Um… backup options?”

“We try it manually,” Twilight stated with a solid stamp of a hoof.

“Manually?”

“We get to the castle and hope for the best. This is the night we beat Nightmare Moon. Maybe that will, I don't know, trigger a memory or something.”

Fluttershy glanced up, staring at the grinning unicorn for a moment in silence. Glancing around, her eyes fell on the trio of motionless statues around them.

“Twilight, what about everypony else?” Rainbow spoke up, following Fluttershy's gaze.

“They… they're already gone,” Fluttershy answered, something unfamiliar welling up inside her. “But we'll get them back. Won't we, Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow simply smiled in return, giving Fluttershy a soft nudge.

“Absolutely.”

[o-0-o]

“—is requesting to see you, your majesty. I'm afraid his fears were not assuaged by your words.”

“By all means… see him in.”

“Right away, your majesty.”

“Oh, before you go.”

“Yes, your majesty?”

“What is the status of the elements?”

“They will be here within the hour. His lordship was somewhat particular about their handling and care.”

“As is his wont.”

“…”

“And the conduits?”

“Within the hour as well. They seemed quite excited by the prospect when it was broached. If you'll allow me, they seem to be a confident group.”

“Indeed, they’ve made Equestria proud.”

“Ma'am?”

“Merely thinking aloud, my subject.”

“Shall I see his lordship in, your majesty?”

“…”

“Right away, your majesty.”

“…”

“…”

“It is good to see you once more, my student.”

“Former student.”

“…”

“Perhaps you’re right, Princess. I worry too much about this… but somepony has to. The powers we are toying with here—”

“Are ancient and dangerous as I am well aware. I am a well-traveled mare, Dawny.”

“Dawny, you majesty? I would like to think I’d outgrown that name by now.”

“Indeed you have… And yet Dawny you remain. How about that?”

“Princess…”

“…”

“Celestia? How can this game continue? You know the risks as well as I do. In fact, you know them far more intimately than any ever could. They—”

“Speak your piece, Dawning. Do not spare me words if you wish to hold my respect.”

“They cost you, Celestia. They cost all of Equestria your sister for a thousand years. Can we so easily repeat that mistake?”

“You speak of this with certainty.”

“As certain as I can possibly be given the circumstances.”

“What I did a thousand years ago, I cannot regret it. I may lament it. I may sob and weep over it, but I cannot regret it. I did the right thing… for Equestria.”

“And what of now? How can this be right for Equestria?”

“You reveal your ignorance, Dawny.”

“It is not willful, I assure you.”

“…”

“What else have you kept to yourself?”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“Perhaps you cannot believe in my methods. Perhaps you believe in your knowledge, but these are things that are beyond any living pony save the alicorns. The forces we are dealing with are more ancient than any book in the archives, stretching farther than any line a pony can lay claim to.”

“Then please, by all means, illuminate me.”

“I may be the Princess of the Life-Giving Sun, but even I know that there are shadows best left in darkness, where the light of curiosity should not travel. I do apologize, Dawning. I do not wish for you to have to toil so in ignorance. I know how it eats at you.”

“…”

“I merely ask for your faith, Dawning.”

“Faith, Princess?”

“Yes, I assure you, I recognize the irony well.”

“And you bid it all the same.”

“…”

“Upon one condition.”

“…”

“…”

“A bold move. You pique my curiosity, my student.”

“Please, keep yourself safe.”

“Don't I always?”

“Celestia, I don't think Equestria can bear another such loss.”

“Equestria or yourself?”

“…”

“…”

“Good luck, Princess of Equestria.”

[o-0-o]

“And I think we've officially entered 'Creepytown Junction,'” Rainbow declared, rapping a hoof against the stone face of a manticore, reared on its hind legs and snarling silently. The statue glared at her as she made faces at the odd echo of the memory.

“'Creepytown'… right…” Twilight murmured in response, examining the sextet of statues facing the petrified beast. “It’s more strange than anything else.”

“Errgh…” Rainbow groaned as she pressed against the monstrous statue, sending it tumbling over to the ground with a thunderous crash. “And the deadly manticore is defeated by the one… the only… Rainbow Dash!”

Fluttershy watched in amusement as Rainbow took a victory lap around the valley before landing atop the fallen beast, giving it her best heroic pose.

“Rainbow… really?” Twilight groaned, a hoof pressed to her forehead. “This is serious.”

“Hey, just trying to keep the mood light.” Rainbow shrugged, hopping off the statue and pressing towards the darkened forest. “Let’s keep her movin’ then, ladies.”

Twilight and Fluttershy quickly trotted up, keeping close together as the forest canopy blotted out the night sky and the light of the moon with it.

The forest seemed somehow even darker than Fluttershy remembered. A steady, chilling breeze blew through, but the branches did not stir nor did the leaves or bushes. The muddy, sinking soil of before was now hard beneath their hooves, their steps echoing ceaselessly in the strange forest. The chill sent tremors down her spine as she pressed herself tightly against Twilight.

“Hey, Twilight. How ‘bout you work some of your magic? It's kinda getting too dark to see in here.”

The purple unicorn started at Dash’s sudden interruption of her thoughts, sending crimson flushing across her face as it was revealed in her magenta glow.

“Right. Good idea…”

Like the manticore before it, the forest seemed to be made of stone, the branches unmoving as Twilight's horn cast its light. As Fluttershy brushed up against a bush, she felt the hard leaves scraping at her coat, several snapping off with sickly crack.

“Why’s it like this?” Rainbow asked, glancing over her shoulder.

“I don’t know… I still remember what happened that night. All of it… It certainly wasn’t like this,” Twilight replied, waving across the petrified brush around them, hooftip sending the brittle leaves scattering to the hard ground.

“Maybe we’re getting close,” Fluttershy offered hopefully, steering herself and Twilight around the brush as much as possible.

“Hey, I think I see something up ahead!” Rainbow called out, shooting ahead excitedly with a flare of her wings.

With hardly even a glance, Fluttershy and Twilight galloped after her only to grind to a sudden stop.

“Deja vu…” Twilight muttered darkly as the trio stared at the monstrous trees, wickedly malicious grins abounding as the petrified forest menaced them quietly.

“Hey, check this out.” Rainbow beckoned them closer, standing before a quintet of statues in the middle of the trees.

These statues were different from the last ones. Now they had faces, frozen in silent screams.

Fluttershy walked beside them, inspecting them as she would an injured creature. She stopped at one in particular of the statues, a pegasus with a long mane.

“That’s me,” she stated simply, drawing Twilight's attention.

“Yeah, that should be. And that'd make this one Rainbow Dash,” Twilight muttered, motioning to the second pegasus statue just beside Fluttershy. “And this would be me or—”

Fluttershy dove to the ground, a choked cry of pain issuing forth from her throat. It felt as though somepony was dragging a rusty fork across her eardrum, Twilight’s voice drowned out by the high-pitched squeal.

“Fluttershy!”

Dash and Twilight were at her side almost immediately, lifting her to her hooves as she panted heavily. Rivulets of sweat ran down her forehead as the shock faded, leaving only a quickened pulse.

“Fluttershy, what happened?” Dash asked, lifting the other pegasus's head with a gentle hoof. “You okay?”

“I-I d-don't th-think so…” Fluttershy replied in stuttered whispers cut between sputtered pants and gasps as they led her away from the statues.

“It… It doesn't want you to remember…” Twilight stated.

“Remember what?”

“Us… them.” Twilight jerked her head towards the statues.

“How the hay does that work?” Dash replied in frustration as the trio moved beyond the covered meadow.

Fluttershy watched as they passed by a sixth statue, a bouncing mane topping it. No scream on its face, but instead a jovial grin.

“You'll remember, Fluttershy… I know you will.”

Fluttershy winced at the twinge of pain, however fleeting, but she felt better as they passed by the laughing pony.

“I-I… I think I'm okay now…”

“You sure, Fluttershy? We don’t mind or anything.”

“I'm… I'm sure,” she replied, their hooves leaving her reluctantly.

Letting Twilight and Rainbow Dash walk ahead a bit, Fluttershy stood and turned back to the statues. She looked at them, looking from statue to statue before her gaze settled on the final statue once more.

“I will…”

[o-0-o]

“—may not be too late… I do not wish a repeat of the past.”

“Nor do I, Sister.”

“You know that I do, don’t you?”

“Celestia?”

“I do regret that day… I regret everything about that day.”

“…”

“I regret everything about the months—the years—leading up to that day.”

“It was not you at fault, Celly…”

“Hmm… Celly…”

“…”

“I think that's the first time you've called me by that name since your return…”

“I…”

“Do not worry, Luna. I know I was not the best of siblings…”

“…”

“…”

“Celly, I am sorry if I have been distant. I simply—I did not wish to be a burden on you nor your kingdom. I thought it best if I… If I…”

“I cannot blame you for your anger, Luna.”

“And I cannot blame you for your actions, Sister. You did what was right. I was not myself. I understand that and I accept the blame.”

“…”

“Will they arrive soon?”

“Within the hour.”

“Good.”

“…”

“Let us begin then.”

[o-0-o]

“It's kinda squishy. Liiiike… a mattress full of gelatin maybe?” Twilight stated with an experimental bounce on the strange surface.

“Or an overripe nimbus,” Rainbow added as Fluttershy tapped inquisitively at the motionless river, the surface sinking before rebounding almost immediately.

“If you don’t want to walk on it, you two could always just fly right over,” Twilight offered from the center of the river, bouncing up and down slightly as she trotted back towards them.

“Might be for the best,” Rainbow stated as she landed by Fluttershy, following her gaze to the frozen sea serpent beside them.

“He looks sad.”

“It was a mustache, Fluttershy. He was clearly overreacting,” Rainbow deadpanned, rolling her eyes at the well-coiffed sea serpent. “Still can’t believe how we calmed him down.”

“You mean”—Fluttershy glanced back at the sextet behind them, a puddle of water surrounding them as a unicorn stepped forward—“generosity?”

“What was that?”

“N-nothing…let’s keep going.”

Fluttershy flapped her wings, hovering just above the ground before fluttering across the unmoving river to join Twilight on the other side.

“We’re getting closer. Feel any different?” Twilight asked, kicking her hooves as she tried to flick off some of the congealed water clinging to her.

“A little bit… maybe, I don’t really know.”

“It’s okay. We're going to get through this together,” Twilight said, turning to find Dash still on the other side, examining one of the statue ponies carefully. “Rainbow Dash! You coming or not?”

“Oh, yeah… Coming!” said pegasus shouted back before shooting across the river in a quick, rainbow-hued arc.

“What were you looking at?”

“Don’t you mean ‘who?’”

“Oh…”

“It’s weird. I remember them… but I don’t.”

“What do you mean?” Fluttershy asked quietly.

“I mean… if I’m a construsive memorial given stridence or whatever, I should have all your memories, right? All three of us should share the same memories.”

“That’s the uh… theory,” Twilight responded.

“Then why do I remember them when Fluttershy can’t? What the hay does that mean?”

“Hopefully it means that they’re still here somewhere…”

“It means we can win,” Fluttershy finally spoke up as they crossed into the forest once more, a look of determination crossing her usually passive features.

“Hopefully… yes.”

“Hey, Fluttershy’s right. We find this—whatever it is—kick its flank and everypony goes home happy,” Dash declared with a wide grin, mirroring Fluttershy.

“In a manner of speaking, yes. That’s the hope,” Twilight said, a smile creeping onto her face. “Just don’t get cocky. We don’t even know what we’re dealing with yet.”

“Aw, Twi, quit being such a wet blanket.”

“I am not a wet blanket. I am being practical.”

“Practical… wet blanket. To-may-to, po-tah-to.”

“Rainbow, be nice,” Fluttershy requested softly, smiling gently as the pair glared at one another. It was a comforting sight amidst the dark, stagnant woods.

Just up ahead, Fluttershy could see the tiniest sliver of light, a familiar chasm laying just beyond the edge of the woods.

“Hey, I think—”

“There it is!” Twilight shouted excitedly, bolting towards the gap in the forest. “We made it!”

“Twilight! Wait up!” Rainbow shouted after the galloping unicorn before her eyes went wide, shooting after her.

“We're almost there! We're going to—Whoa!”

“Twilight!” Fluttershy gasped as the unicorn disappeared over the cliff edge, followed shortly by a rainbow colored blur.

“What's with you and falling off things today?” Fluttershy heard Rainbow ask as she hauled the now furiously blushing Twilight back up onto the cliff.

“I… uh… forgot the bridge was out,” she admitted sheepishly, glancing over the side of cliff before letting out a relieved sigh. “Thanks, Dash.”

“No prob. Rainbow Dash don’t leave her friends hanging.” Rainbow puffed out her chest before deflating slightly. “Huh, bit familiar, ain’t it?”

Fluttershy and Twilight simply nodded as Rainbow trotted over to the edge, glancing down at the bridge’s remnants. Her eye traced the mess of wood and rope as it disappeared into a bank of fog.

Retreating from the edge, Rainbow stretched her wings before turning back to face her friends.

“This won’t take long,” she said, giving her wings a few test flaps before launching herself backwards over the cliff edge. “Back in a flash!”

“Be careful!” Twilight shouted, eying the fog nervously.

Less than a second later, Rainbow appeared at the other end of the chasm, rope clutched in her teeth. Working quickly, she hauled up the bridge, tying one end of it off on the rocky post.

“Great job, Rainbow!” Twilight shouted over the gap, testing the bridge with a hoof before stepping out onto it.

“No prob! Was even faster than I thought I’d be!” Dash called back before tying off the other half of the bridge and turning back. She grinned as Fluttershy stepped out onto the bridge. “Not even a chall—”

Fluttershy and Twilight gasped as, with a rush of wind, the thick fog shifted to separate them.

“Rainbow!” Fluttershy cried out, ears drooping as she disappeared from sight.

“C'mon, Fluttershy!”

Twilight plowed ahead, preparing to charge through the unnatural mist, only to hit a wall when she reached it, bouncing back and onto her rump.

“Twilight!”

Shaking the cobwebs from her head, the unicorn lept to her hooves and strode back, more cautiously this time, to the fog bank.

“Rainbow!” Twilight called into the fog. “Rainbow, are you okay? Can you hear me?”

Fluttershy walked past the panicked unicorn, pressing a hoof to the wall of fog. It felt completely solid. Contrary to the river water, it had no give to it at all.

“Rainbow?!” Fluttershy shouted into the barrier, pressing an ear to it. “Rainbow, are you there still?!”

At first, she heard nothing at all. Then she heard a muffled voice followed by hooftaps from the other side.

“I’m still here”—she paused for a moment—“What happened?”

“I… I don’t know,” Fluttershy said, voice cracking as she ran a hoof across the barrier, searching for a hole, a fissure, a crack—any sign of weakness. “Can you fly over it?”

“Oh… good idea! Jus’ a sec!”

There was silence for a moment before Fluttershy felt a vibration surge through the barrier followed by a series of swears that brought a soft blush to her face.

“Where did Rainbow even learn those?” Twilight asked as she leaned against the barrier.

“I, um, have no idea where she would have, um, learned those,” Fluttershy muttered, cheeks flaring as ever brighter pink as she avoided the unicorn’s curious eyes.

“Rainbow, are you still okay?” Twilight called out, tapping gently.

“Yeah… I'm fine,” came the blunt reply. “Except for my pride and my skull… just fine.”

“What happened?”

“It didn’t work,” Rainbow declared bluntly.

“Well, I know that much!” Twilight yelled angrily.

“Twilight!”

“This is serious, Fluttershy,” Twilight hissed back, her eyes growing wild with fear. “This is not a time to be joking!”

“Calm down! Jeez… I’m fine here,” Rainbow interrupted, drawing the pair’s attention back to the opaque fog. “Just feels like I just flew into a cliff face. It’s kinda weird here, but I think I’m safe. Don't worry.”

“Weird?” Twilight looked from the barrier to Fluttershy, eyebrow quirked as she quivered nervously.

“Rainbow, what did you mean by ‘weird’?” Fluttershy asked, throat threatening to rend her voice from her.

“There’s… It’s…”—she fell silent a moment before continuing—“I dunno. It’s like there’s just nothing here. Just a whole lot of white.” Rainbow’s confusion sent a shudder through Fluttershy as she recalled the empty white eating away at her fillyhood home. “Think I’m just stuck for now. How’s it on your side?”

“Like a brick wall,” Twilight replied, hoof clacking against the barrier as she stamped in frustration. Her eyes went wide for a moment as she brought her hoof back to examine it. “Owwww…” she hissed in pain, shaking her now throbbing hoof. “Yeah, think we’re stuck here too.”

“Well, why don’t you two look for a way around,” Rainbow suggested. “I’m pretty sure I’m good for now.”

“No, no, no… we can’t do that,” Fluttershy stated softly, glancing from the fog bank to Twilight. “We can’t abandon her!” Her tone was high-pitched and panicked.

“Fluttershy, maybe if we look, we’ll find a way to get her out of there,” Twilight offered, setting a hoof on her shoulder. “There’s no sense in just waiting around.”

“Twilight’s right,” came Rainbow’s voice from the other side, “you need to keep going if you’re gonna figure this out.”

“But—”

“No, 'buts.' I need you to be tough right now.”

“Oh… okay…” Fluttershy muttered softly. “But what about you? What if something bad happens? I… I…”

“Nothing’s gonna happen. Worst thing, I'll be bored. Besides, even if something did hap—”

Fluttershy cut her off with a frightened squeak before muffling it with a hoof.

“Even if something bad does happen, I wouldn't be gone… not really.”

“But…”

“She's right, Fluttershy.”

“Listen to Twilight, Shy. She'll help you get everyone back.”

Fluttershy pressed her ear to the barrier, staring into the fog with bleary eyes. She could just make out her silhouette, just a vague outline in the swirling mists.

“You've got to deal with this thing.”

But something was off… the silhouette seemed to be growing, getting darker.

“Rainbow?” Fluttershy whispered, voice choked as the shadow grew.

Rainbow couldn't hear her.

“That’s the important thing right n—”

A flash of lightning split the skies, blinding Fluttershy as the accompanying thunder vibrated the wood beneath her hooves violently.

She could hear Twilight yelp as they were sent sprawling back across the bridge, tumbling along the planks. Fluttershy grabbed at the ropes to keep from slipping over the side. She lay there, sprawled out, forehooves wrapped tight around a bit of rope as the tremor ceased as quickly as it had come.

“Fluttershy, you okay?” Twilight asked as Fluttershy’s vision came back to her.

She nodded weakly, struggling back to her hooves before nearly losing her footing as she glanced back at the fog bank.

“Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy cried out in a hoarse voice, half galloping, half flying to the fog barrier. “Rainbow! Rainbow, say something, please!”

“I… It…” Twilight was at a loss as she stared at the fog.

It was no longer a natural white. It was no longer as it had been moments ago, the color from her memory. The strange fog had taken on an angry red color, swirling violently before them as if a tornado raged within.

Fluttershy stood, her legs threatening to give out as she stared at the silhouette within the fog.

“Rainbow…”

The motionless silhouette of the pegasus seemed to be just on the other side, unawares as an enormous shadow loomed over her, seeming to fade and reform constantly.

No… no… no…

Fluttershy sat, petrified and helpless as she watched the shadowbeast rear up.

“Rainbow!” Twilight cried out as the beast came down with a thundering crash, sending ripples through the bridge and Fluttershy back to her knees. Through watering eyes, the yellow pegasus watched the beast fade away.

It faded, leaving the shadow of the pegasus behind.

A wickedly curved spike driven through it.

“Rainbow… please… say anything…” Fluttershy whispered through choked sobs, hooves sliding down the barrier. “Please… not again… not again…”

The cold breeze blew.

Somewhere in the distance thunder rumbled and the skies above shifted rapidly above them as it began to rain.

A sprinkle became a shower became a pounding downpour as the angry red faded back to its natural gray.

Fluttershy was numb.

She stared at the motionless silhouette on the other side, heart ready to burst at its seams. Her breath came in sharp, shuddering gasps as she weakly pressed a hoof to the impenetrable bubble. She mouthed the name as the syllables were rent from her, threatening to from her altogether. Nose itching from the acrid rain, a deep shudder ran through her.

“No…”

Fluttershy felt an almost imperceptible tremor course through her.

“No… no… no…”

The yellow pegasus sniffled softly, trying to wipe the rain out of her eyes with the back of her foreleg.

“No, that isn’t fair!”

Fluttershy glanced back to see Twilight’s horn aglow, the boards rattling beneath her as the unicorn charged at the bubble.

“Give her back!” Twilight screamed at the barrier.

Fluttershy gasped, falling to the side as the charging unicorn struck the bubble with a thunderous crack before skidding back a few feet and tumbling onto her back.

“Twilight?”

“It isn’t fair!” she cried out, seemingly oblivious as she righted herself and charged the barrier once more.

“Twilight! Stop!” Fluttershy cried out as the unicorn was sent flying back violently.

The fog barrier cracked with angry, mocking arcs of electricity, the same color as Twilight’s magic as the unicorn tumbled back across the bridge a good ten feet from the sparking orb.

Twilight groaned as Fluttershy immediately rushed to her friend’s side.

“Are you okay?” she asked, watching as rain struck the groaning unicorn, sizzling away on contact. Tentatively, the pegasus laid a hoof upon the unicorn only to yank it back, an arc of electricity scorching her hoof. “Twilight, say something?”

“It’s… it’s not… it’s not fair…” the unicorn choked out between tears, clutching her body as it shuddered unnaturally.

“Twilight, can you hear me?”

“N-not fair…”

Fluttershy watched as the rain deepened, wicking away into the air in a steady flow of steam. Biting her lip, she sat down beside the shuddering unicorn, reaching a hoof steadily towards her chest, ignoring the pain as the minuscule arcs of magic lanced across her hoof. Soon enough, she could feel the unsteady rise and fall of her friend’s chest as well as the steady flow of the arcane energy.

“Tw-Twilight…” Fluttershy whispered, drained as she struggled to heft the unicorn onto her haunches.

“Flutter… Fluttershy?” she mumbled in return, swaying in Fluttershy’s hooves as the harsh breeze threatened to send them tumbling off the twisting bridge. “You're still here?”

“I’m here, Twilight… it’s okay…”

“No, it’s not… how can you say that?”

Fluttershy didn’t reply as she felt herself slide down onto her haunches, leaving her staring into the unicorn’s half-closed, violet eyes. Twilight stared at her, tears streaming down her face, mixing with the rain as a distant rumble of thunder filled the air.

“It took her… it took her again…” Twilight stated bluntly.

“It isn’t fair…” Fluttershy murmured, her heart sinking into her stomach.

“It took her and we… we couldn’t do anything…”

“It isn’t right…”

She felt it, an indescribable warmth—

“Why are we so helpless…”

—building deep within of her.

“We… we aren’t,” Fluttershy stated. “We aren’t helpless.”

“It took them all. What are we supposed to do? What can we even do?”

It was a burning, wonderful light—

“We get them back.”

“But without her—”

—filling her being completely.

“We go on…” Fluttershy whispered, eyes shut. “We go on and finish what we started. We get them back—all of them—and we face whatever did this…”

“But… it’ll destroy us…” Twilight trembled at the thought. “It got her! If it got her… what chance do we have?”

“It didn’t get her, Twilight. It can’t because we won’t let it,” Fluttershy declared as she opened her eyes, pushing the unicorn to her hooves before rising herself.

Fluttershy took a step towards the still crackling barrier, its depths swirling violently as its color shifted again.

From gray to brilliant red, it soon settled on a mocking cerise.

But Fluttershy no longer saw the mist’s colors. Her eyes were focused now. She saw through it. She saw past the fog. She saw it.

“You won’t win!”

“But how will—”

“You hear me, you big, dumb meanie! You won’t get my friends!”

The light filled her absolutely, filling every fiber of her being, radiating into the aether and beyond.

“You won’t get Twilight or Rainbow!”

It was a light that could not be contained—

“You won’t get Pinkie—”

—could not be concealed—

“—Rarity—”

—could not be denied—

“—or Applejack!”

—that could not fail.

“You won’t win! I won’t let you! Do you hear me?!” Fluttershy yelled at the barrier before her, glaring with barely restrained rage. “What do you have say?!”

The fog within shifted from its former hue, deepening to a seemingly infinite black. She could see it within as it reared before her, blotting out the rains and sky as the shadow threatened to crash down upon them, upon everything

“Fluttershy?” Twilight murmured worriedly as the gray storm clouds were blotted out by the beast.

However, her eyes focused not on the vanishing skies, but on the soft light now encompassing Fluttershy.

A soft, pink hue that seemed to come from the pegasus’s very being.

“Fluttershy, you’re… you're glowing.”

She didn’t respond, grinding a forehoof against the bridge plank as she prepared a charge. With a feral snort, she galloped towards it, wings flared wide as she drove at the barrier.

“Get out of my head!”

As she made contact with the barrier, head lowered, time slowed to crawl.

In awe, Twilight watched the pink light that now surrounded the pegasus concentrated at the foremost point where Fluttershy had hit. The light grew and grew until it filled the unicorn’s vision, obscuring the black fog from view before it simply burst in a cacophonous explosion.

“Fluttershy!” Twilight cried out in panic.

The pegasus was sent hurtling backwards as an angry roar filling the air. Flaring her horn, Twilight grabbed the pegasus with her magic only to find herself being flung backwards with her, the pair landing in a heap on the cliff edge.

“Oh, by Celestia! Fluttershy, are you okay?” Twilight scrambled out from the pegasus. She wasn’t moving. Gently, the unicorn shook her friend. “Please be alright… please, please, please…”

“Mmmrph… Twilight… what happ— oomph!”

Fluttershy suddenly found herself at a loss for oxygen as Twilight’s hooves wrapped tight around her.

“I thought it got you! I really did!” Twilight buried her face into the pegasus’s shoulder before slackening her grip. “Are you okay? What just happened?”

“I… I don’t know. I just got…” Fluttershy trailed off as she turned to look at the bridge, jaw slackening at the sight. “Di-did I do that?”

At the chasm before them, the fog had been blasted from the bridge. The swirling black steadily whipped away in the wind as glowing flecks of soft pink light fell like snowflakes around them. Fluttershy scrunched up her face as one settled on her nose, tingling gently.

“It’s… so warm…” she remarked as it whipped away in the gentle breeze, staring up in awe.

Even the clouds that had covered the sky had dissipated, leaving a crisp, clear night to behold as a thousand stars twinkled overhead.

“Fluttershy?” Twilight came alongside the pegasus as they both stepped towards the bridge.

“Yes, Twilight?” Fluttershy replied, somewhat distracted as she idly traced the wandering paths of the pink orbs as they descended from the sky.

“You remembered…”

“I… I did…” Fluttershy murmured in response, looking down at her hooves as she thought for a moment. “I did! I did, I did, I did!” she exclaimed, drawing Twilight into a happy embrace before she hopped excitedly from fore to hind hooves.

“I think we really have a chance, Fluttershy!” Twilight stated, smiling from ear to ear.

“I think…” Fluttershy’s face fell as she glanced across the bridge at the strange gray statue just on the other side of the bridge.

Both fell silent, Twilight following her gaze. Slowly, they walked across, path still cast in a pink light as the tiny orbs continued to float down around them.

Fluttershy felt warm and cold at the same time, her stomach twisting as she knelt before the odd statue. It was a pegasus pony laid out on its side, a wickedly curved fang pinning it to the ground. Its eyes were half-lidded, face twisted into a pained grimace, hooves and wings splayed out awkwardly.

“I… I won’t let you down, Rainbow…” she whispered, kneeling down and resting her head on the statue’s chest “I promise.”

“You can do this, Fluttershy. We know you can,” Twilight stated, staring up at the swirl of magenta light marking the tower.

The tower where it all began.

I won’t fail you, Rainbow…

Author's Note:

[revised 08-23-2014]