• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 6,716 Views, 284 Comments

Homeworld: Equestria - hiigaran



Finding himself in an uncharted system, the Captain of a military vessel ends up on a strange planet

  • ...
10
 284
 6,716

11: Turquoise Nebula

The empty streets of Ponyville had been pummelled by the onslaught of a heavy downpour, originating from an overcast sky of depressing grey shades. Though only a few minutes past midnight, most of the town’s inhabitants had been sound asleep, cocooned in their blankets on this unusually cold night, save for one.

Through the frosty windows of the town library, the warm glow of several candles flickered, providing Captain Soban with just the right amount of light to read through a stack of sizeable documents, one that had been propped up against his legs, as he sat on the couch with his feet up on a table. Jotting down notes as they popped into his mind, he cast aside his book and opened another in its place, using his left hand to flip through the pages to the appropriate section.

His right hand remained preoccupied, as it stroked Twilight’s mane idly, while barely audible snores escaped her. Much like the stroking of his chin when deep in thought, Soban hadn’t noticed this new action of his, until he heard the unicorn’s murmurs of contentment when he began a few days prior. As a result, he had effectively switched Twilight off, sending her to sleep mere minutes after working his fingers through her mane.

Soban furrowed his brow, muttering nonsensical words while scribbling in his notebook, occasionally striking out lines, or tearing out pages of notes he was dissatisfied with. Letting out a profanity, he rubbed his eyes and continued writing up notes for plans regarding ship assortments in multiple future Equestrian fleets.

Just as he began to formulate the composition of a resource operation security detail, Soban felt Twilight stirring underneath his hand.

“Mmmmmshouldn’t you be sleeping?” she lifted her head and looked up at the Captain with unevenly opened eyes.

“Can’t sleep,” Soban replied, bookmarking his reading material with his notepad. “It usually takes me a good week to settle back into a proper sleep cycle after returning to a planet. Hope I didn’t wake you.”

Twilight yawned. “No, no. Just feeling a little cold. I think I’ll go fetch a blanket. You want one, too?”

“Thanks.”

Twilight crept upstairs, past the occupied bed, and rummaged through her extra bedding. Since their return almost a week ago, Harmony’s chief medic had reluctantly agreed to allow Shining Armour to be discharged, provided he rested until his magic had returned.

“How is he?” Soban asked, jerking his head in Shining’s general direction.

“All things considered, he’s doing well. He still complains of an intense burning sensation on his horn, but some of his magic is coming back, at least.” Lying back down on the couch, the unicorn covered herself with a starry-patterned blanket. “Still too unstable to even levitate anything, but he’s getting there. He really is a soldier at heart. Doesn’t want his wife finding out about what happened, because he said it will needlessly worry her. Knowing Cadance, ‘worry’ would be an understatement. Oh, and I’m certain Shining is in more pain than he lets on, even if he doesn’t admit it.”

“That’s because you don’t want to hear me whining about my head feeling like it’s in a vice-grip every five minutes!” Shining Armour yelled from the bed.

“Oh geez! It’s midnight for Celestia’s sake!” an annoyed Spike trudged downstairs, dragging his pillow and blanket towards the basement.

“Is anypony here actually sleeping?” Twilight huffed.

“I was, until you all started shouting!” Spike grumbled, getting his point across by slamming the basement door behind him.

“Well, he’s going to be grumpy later on. Moreso. Alright, Shining, you know what the doctor said, now sleep,” Twilight ordered, receiving grumbles in response. “Same goes for you, Captain.”

“Will you stop referring to me by rank, Twilight?” the Captain rolled his eyes. “You’re a friend. And a damn good one at that. Call me Mel.”

“Only if you go to sleep, and stop these late night sessions”—the unicorn extended a hoof—“deal?”

Soban shook Twilight’s hoof. “Deal.”


“Mighty sorry ah’m late”—Applejack took a seat alongside her friends at a cafe within town—“Whole family went huntin’ for Granny’s dentures,” she explained, shuddering.

“That's … Alright,” Soban replied, nestled between Twilight and Rainbow Dash, the two of whom had been conversing with Rarity and Fluttershy, prior to Applejack’s arrival.

“Guess we’re waitin’ on Pinkie, huh?” Applejack observed.

“Actually, Pinkie remained aboard Harmony,” Soban pointed out, pausing for another sip of his tea. “She said she wanted to do something ‘fun’ for the crew, but didn’t exactly go into details. Although, I don’t suppose any of you know what she would be doing with several vats of milk? No? Hmm. Anyway, I gather you’re all wondering why I called you here, yes?”

With the exception of Twilight and Rainbow, the group nodded silently.

“Alright, what I am about to ask of you may sound like much, and perhaps a little frightening, but please hear me out,” the Captain began, his eyes scanning the confused faces around him. “You all remember the day we discovered the fourth hyperspace core, yes? Well, I’m sure Twilight has informed you all that there are a total of six cores, and that they are the true Elements of Harmony. With the fifth core recovered, we are looking into ways to locate and retrieve the sixth and final core.”

“Oh come on, get to the important part! They know all this already!” Rainbow fidgeted impatiently.

Soban shot an annoyed look at Rainbow. “Getting to it. Anyway, some time in the near future, it is highly likely we will need to use the Elements against a powerful foe. This is the part that is going to sound scary. To use the Elements, you will each have to become … integrated with a core.”

“What? No can do, Cap’”—Applejack shook her head vigorously. “Forget th’ fact that we got responsibilities of our own down here on dry land, but we can’t do that! You wanna make us into some kinda machine freaks?”

“Whoah, hold on! Nothing like that!” Soban frantically waved his hands. “No, what I meant was to have your mind temporarily linked with the core. You just put this … thing, on your head, and from what I’m told, you can then see everything our sensors see, hear everything around you, and even transmit your thoughts to each other. You will see the universe in almost the same way as the Bentusi did.”

Fluttershy tensed up. “D—does that mean I would hear everypony’s thoughts? And everypony would hear m—mine? I’m not sure I’d want to do this. Can we turn it off somehow?”

Soban hesitated. “I, uhh … I don’t know if I can answer that question for you, to be honest. I’m sure it’s possible. Tell you what, I’ll ask Karan when I meet with her. She’s the only one who can properly answer that.”

“Hmm,” Rarity mused. “Well, I must admit you have piqued my interest. However, Fluttershy did bring up a valid issue I have a few reservations about. I do so value my privacy, and despite having nothing to hide, the prospect of having five others practically inside my own mind seems rather invasive, even if they are my closest friends.”

“Rainbow Dash could probably tell you later on. She volunteered to integrate herself into the core in the near future. Tomorrow, I’ll be up in Canterlot for a couple of days, but I’ll then return to Harmony for a quick mission, come back, and get Rainbow ready.” Draining the last of his tea, Soban turned to the timid pegasus. “I’ll see if I can arrange for a brief communication between her and Karan, so Rainbow can tell you all what it feels like. Would that help?”

Fluttershy looked up at the Captain from behind her mane, and slowly nodded.

“Well, I suppose if that issue can be taken care of, and it is just a matter of simply placing some form of headgear on one’s self, I see no issue, but,” Rarity stopped mid-thought. “Does it come in white?”

“Ah don’t suppose we can tag along?” Applejack shot in, shaking her head at Rarity’s priorities. “If Rainbow is gonna go jumpin’ into clouds without checkin’ for thunder, then ah wanna be around for it.”

Soban shrugged. “I don’t see why not. I’d just have to check the crew manifest to see if there are any empty quarters, as we are about to bring aboard some newly trained crew. In all likelihood, you will need to share quarters. Is that fine by all of you?”

The mares around the Captain nodded unanimously. Wrapping up the meeting with some minor small-talk, they began to leave, one by one, until Twilight and Rarity remained with the Captain.

Clearing her throat, Rarity spoke up. “Well, I suppose now that we have taken care of that little issue, I would like to ask a favour of you, Captain.”

“Sure, Rarity. And please, just call me Mel.”

“As you wish, Mel. Well you see, I am an entrepreneur, and after everything that has happened over the course of your arrival and stay in Equestria, it got me thinking, and a most wonderful idea sprung to mind! Honestly, I find myself surprised—nay, astounded, that with all the apparent glamour, professionalism, and sophistication of this fleet of yours, your crew lack proper uniforms! In fact, the only one who wears a uniform, and a little too frequently I might add, is yourself.”

“And I suppose you want to create these uniforms for my crew?” Soban asked, an enthusiastic nod being Rarity’s reply. “I don’t see any problem with it, but I would have to take it up with whoever manages the finances for our fleet. Tell you what, I’ll pitch the idea to Princess Luna when I see her tomorrow or after tomorrow.”

“Oh splendid! If you have some time now, would you care to see what I have come up with?”

“You mean you already created one?” Soban raised an eyebrow.

“Multiple uniforms! Of course, they are only the initial designs. Prototypes, if you will. However, I’m sure with your input, and my keen sense for practicality and presentation, I believe I can make your crew look the part!” Rarity finished with a dramatic flourish of her hoof. “Just the mere thought makes me giddy! Shall we?”


“Okay, you can open your eyes now!” Rarity sang.

The Captain opened his eyes, still feeling slightly apprehensive. Three odd, pony-shaped mannequins stood before him. They had been neatly lined up in a row and dressed in some extravagant and shiny uniforms. Rarity stood off to the side, bouncing on the spot in anticipation, an excitable glimmer in her eyes.

“To the left, I have the dark uniform design. Based on the red-trimmed black uniform you wear, this is a full-body uniform that allows the hooves, wings, head, and tail to remain exposed,” Rarity carried on, pointing a hoof at each section she mentioned. “Rank patches are located to either side of the forehooves, and the Equestrian-Hiigaran emblem sits just underneath the left tip of the collar. Of course, given your foreign form, it was a bit of a challenge to get the insignia placement correct, considering our shoulders are completely different, but I’m quite confident I succeeded in improvising, wouldn’t you agree?”

“Wholeheartedly, ma’am!”

“Oh I am delighted to hear that from you! However,” Rarity dropped her excited tone. “After I finished this one, I took a few steps back to visualise how it would look on an entire ship’s crew. Forgive me for being blunt, but all that black just looks depressing, and the red trim? I don’t know, Capt—Mel. So I came up with this! My pièce de résistance!”

“Piece of what?” Soban scratched his head, unfamiliar with the term Rarity had used.

“Oh darling, you really do need to familiarise yourself with more eloquent vocabulary. Not to worry!” Rarity’s jovial voice sang once more. “Now my second design consists of a similar form to the first, but I decided to change the colours. Back when we were mere acquaintances, I recall seeing a photo of yourself with who I assume were your comrades, while I was aboard your frigate. However, you wore a different uniform, one that was white with blue trim, and that is where I derived inspiration from, to create this.”

“In all honesty, though I like my black and red, I do have to admit this design looks much better. Now, what’s that third one?”

“This last one was admittedly a failed design. Initially I asked myself what a more practical version of the royal guard uniform might look like. Clearly you don’t want to trot around performing your duties in heavy, restrictive armour, especially if you are involved in manual labour. Can you imagine the horrendous body odour?” she put a hoof to her head dramatically. “Hardly befitting of an elegant fleet, so I figured I could try to adapt the colour scheme into fabric. As you can see, a gold-dominated colour is quite an eyesore, and in hindsight, such a poor design choice on my part was absolutely shameful.”

“How did you get the cloth to shine like that?” Soban approached the mannequin, feeling the material with his fingers.

“Oh this is a special gold silk. All the properties of gold, yet as light and comfortable as any decent fabric. Making this was harder than designing the uniforms themselves! But no matter. I decided to abandon the idea of a gold uniform, but it would have been a shame to let that lovely silk go to waste, so I had another one of my more brilliant ideas! If I lined the other uniforms with it, the gold would protect the wearer from more serious cuts and scrapes, and serve as a protectant against corrosive materials, which, as I understand it, can become quite the hazard for your engineers.”

“Rarity, you weren’t lying when you spoke highly of your keen sense for practicality and presentation! If for some reason I wasn’t sold by the second uniform, I certainly would be now! I might just have to consider commissioning you to create one for me, if I ever damage my current set of uniforms. I’m sure the Princesses will definitely support this idea if I pitch it to them.”

“Magnificent!” the designer clopped her hooves together. “This could be the biggest deal of my career! Nay, my life!”

“You’re not going to make them all by yourself, are you?”

“Oh don’t you worry about me, dear! Designing clothing is the most challenging part. Replicating it is easy, if not a tad tedious.” Waving her hoof in dismissal, Rarity glanced at an elaborately decorated grandfather clock nearby. “Well, I must apologise for my lack of hospitality, but despite being ahead of schedule, I must filly-proof my boutique. Sweetie Belle’s friends are staying over tonight.”


“Mel, remember what we talked about before,” Twilight nagged, back at the library. “I don’t want you staying up late.”

“Who are you? My mother?” the Captain looked up momentarily from his notepad.

“Trust me, sir, you haven’t seen Twilight mothering yet,” Shining Armour interjected, prodding his sister’s sides playfully. “I would know!”

“Well if it weren’t for my ‘mothering’, you wouldn’t be up and about so soon now, would you?” Twilight retorted between bouts of giggles.

Soban looked up once again. “Oh, I forgot to ask how you were feeling today, Shining.”

“Much better, actually. My magic appears to be stable”—Shining Armour demonstrated, as he levitated a nearby shelf of books, and replaced them out of order, sticking his tongue out at Twilight—“though I still have a headache. It’s bearable, at least. I could probably fix it with a few painkillers, but I’ve never been one for pills. Can’t seem to swallow them, for some reason.”

“Glad to hear it. So I assume you’ll be ready for duty within the next two days, then? My superiors were completely stunned by your performance when I sent them our combat data, and they wanted to meet you personally.”

“Really? Ye—Of course I’ll be ready by then. Actually, if I take the same train you are taking, I should have more than enough time with the missus as well. What time does it leave, anyway?”

“Quarter past four. In the morning.”

“Wow, I should probably get an early one, then. G’night, ‘Cap. Twiley.”

“Good night, Shining”—Twilight turned back to the Captain—“and you, Mel. Hint, hint.”

Soban flipped his notebook open to a new page. “Yeah, sure. I just need another ten or twenty minutes to figure something out.”

“Anything I can help with?”

“Not really. I’ve been drafting up a new training regime for our strike-craft, so we can perfect the use of shielding and teleportation in combat. Technically this shouldn’t be my job, but seeing as how I know more about you folks than my peers, I would have a better understanding of how it could be used. I just wish we knew how to combine your magic with our technology. I don’t suppose you have anything useful in those research papers of yours? Actually, what did you do with those?”

“Oh, I just filed them away downstairs, but most of those were just my notes. I did make a compilation of findings for the Princesses’ lead scientists, though. So far, I haven’t found anything overly useful, but I’m sure it would help with something. For example, after figuring out how to use the interferometer in Harmony’s lab, I discovered our ability to move objects with magic seems to stem from the creation and manipulation of photons. I was in the process of creating a formula that might have shown a possible relationship between factors such as object mass, range and magic intensity, but I burned out the device. I—ahh, actually, I meant to tell you about that before.”

“That’s alright. We can get construction to build another one for us. Those machines can create anything if the schematics are saved in their data banks. And I wouldn’t sell yourself short on that finding though. Who knows? You might just pave the way for new actuation devices, if it is efficient enough. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to finish my work.”

“And I’ll be right here, making sure you don’t stay up too late,” Twilight stated, mere minutes before Soban’s right hand put her to sleep once more.


“Looks like we have about ten more minutes before Canterlot Station, sir,” Shining Armour informed Soban.

“That went by quicker than I had hoped.”

“Why did you want to go by train, anyway? You know I could have easily arranged for a pegasus chariot. Or Twilight could have taken us instantly. She’s getting much better with her teleportation accuracy over long distances.”

“Eh, there’s no fun in that. And I’ve seen Equestria from the air many times. It’s a great sight and all, but watching everything roll by from the ground can be spectacular in its own way.”

Shining Armour chuckled. “I don’t mean to tease, but I find it quite amusing you can be so … What’s the word I’m looking for? Sentimental, about scenery.”

“Most people think that, too. I just find it relaxing, plain and simple. Whether it’s the landscape, clouds, or hyperspace, I just find it a simple pleasure of life. And in my line of work, I need all the relaxation I can get, especially after … you know. That battle.”

“You holding out okay, then?”

“I think I’ll be fine, eventually.” Soban sighed, staring out of the window, as the train shot out of a tunnel. After a while, he faced Shining Armour once more. “You know, I’ve been thinking about retiring for a while now. Once this whole Progenitor issue is dealt with, that is. Though I wonder if it would be possible to end up with a small house here.”

“In Equestria? Ahh, I don’t know, to be honest. I see no issues, though. Most other foreigners are permitted. Even griffons. But then who will take your place aboard Harmony?”

Soban shrugged. “Probably Midnight.”

“Mid—Midnight Oil? The sulky grey Earth pony?”

“That’s the one. Wait, why sulky?”

“I knew Midnight for several years, having been his superior officer. We were never more than acquaintances, and our relationship was strictly professional, but dear Celestia, was he a dull stallion. He was cynical, lacked emotion, or at least good ones, anyway, and never a positive thing came out of his mouth. Brilliant officer, mind you, and surprisingly considerate, but not the type anypony would want to hang around.”

“Huh. He seemed alright to me.”

“Well he was never always that way. He had horrible luck with friends. Financially used and betrayed by at least four others, and a failing marriage had eventually taken a toll on him. My guess is he is intentionally distancing himself, to avoid being put in that situation again. It’s irrational, but in a way, I can understand him. Oh, hey, get your things ready. We have arriv—Did I just see Firelance out there?”

“Yeah. I’m staying the night with him, before returning to Harmony. Considering we were all on duty, it was difficult to get much time in for socialising. For me, anyway. You would not believe the amount of paperwork I still have unfinished in my office! Would be nice to sit around without any worries and knock back a few cold ones for a few hours. But first, I have to talk to Princess Luna about one or two things.”


“… And you’ve never played poker before, huh?” Nova raised an eyebrow at Soban, and the impressive collection of chips piled nearby.

Soban fiddled with a chip. “Nnnnnnno.” Technically, he told the truth, though Hiigarans had similar games.

As usual, Firelance was rummaging through his kitchen for his several secret stashes of alcoholic beverages, after the trio had ended their game. Sending a beer to each of his friends and setting down his own at the small round table they were seated at, Firelance took a fourth beer, and emptied the contents into his goldfish’s tank.

“That fish has always creeped the living hay right out of me,” Nova remarked.

“What are you complaining about?” Soban cuffed him on the shoulder. “I have slept on the couch opposite to that fish tank. You try going to sleep when you have a psychotic goldfish smiling at you with those oversized teeth!”

“Boris is actually part piranha,” Firelance called out, as he watched a smile of contentment and bliss spread across his pet’s face. “Because of that, it’s a challenge getting friends to feed him when I have to go away for extended periods of time, especially since he seems to have developed a taste for ponies”—he shot a smirk at his friend—“Nova.”

“How do you know that fish’s lineage? And how in blazes was I supposed to know it was a psychopath?” Nova automatically winced at the memory he had of the year-old incident.

“What I want to know is what you were doing to get your hoof within biting distance in the first place! Ahh well, he still loves me, and that’s all that matters!” Firelance placed his hoof in the tank, stroking Boris’s head. “See?”

“’Lance, you really need to get yourself a fillyfriend”—Nova shook his head—“You worry me sometimes.”

“I’ll have you know I might be interested in somepony!”

“That cellist doesn’t count, ‘Lance,” Soban teased.

“Hey, that’s not fair! Can’t a stallion have a fantasy?” Firelance shot back, while drying his hoof on the carpet. “‘Sides, it ain’t her, even if I would give my left hoof to play with her ‘instrument’.”

“Well there’s a surprise,” Nova said, genuinely surprised. “Though I’ve never really seen you get along with mares. You don’t exactly have a way with words. Or flattery. Or tact.”

“I do, too!” Firelance retorted with a stomp.

Soban suppressed a grin. “I’m going to have to side with Nova on this one. You remember the comments you made to Zenith about probing?”

“That’s because I enjoy her reactions, Mel”—Firelance returned to the table, downing half his beer in one go—“and she gets all cute when she becomes bothered and flustered.”

Nova blinked. “Cute? ‘Lance, I have known you since we were colts, and I have never heard you use that word before,” he paused, ears pricking at his epiphany. “Dear Celestia, you’ve got your eye on her, don’t you?”

Firelance grinned sheepishly. “Umm … Yeah. Yeah, I do. Might be the glasses, I dunno. Ahh—hey, hey! I see that cheeky look on your face! Open your mouth, and I swear I’ll get Boris to make sure you never have foals again!”

“Hey, I didn’t say anything”—Nova held his hooves up—“right, Mel? Did I say anything?”

“Nope. Not a thing,” Soban replied, now suppressing an urge to burst out laughing.

An awkward silence followed, before Nova decided to speak up again. “So … Does she know?”

“Oh for fu—Shouldn’t you be getting home to your wife, or something? Isn’t ten your bedtime?” Firelance shot a glare at his friend.

“Forget her, I wanna hear this first!”

“What’s to hear?” Firelance shrugged. “And no, she doesn’t. Kinda bad timing right now.”

“Really?” Nova’s mischievous grin returned. “Oh, I am going to have so much fun with you tomorrow!”

Firelance tapped a hoof on his chin and looked up at the ceiling. “You know, Boris hasn’t had dinner, yet. Normally I would give him two apples and a banana, but I’m sure he won't mind the temporary change in diet.”

Soban chortled. “And you said ‘Lance doesn’t have a way with words! Well, ladies, I’m going to have to get back to my work. I’ll be in the living room if you need me.”


“You still up, huh?” Firelance emerged from a shower, long after Nova had bid farewell.

“Yeah”—Soban snapped shut his books and notepad—“I think I’m done, though. This training schedule was an absolute nightmare to finalise, but I think it’s going to be as good as it’ll get. Hopefully we can implement it after our meeting with the Hiigaran fleet,” he said, with a stretch. “So were you being serious with the whole Zenith thing?”

“Uh huh.”

“Okay. Well this would be the point where I would warn you about relationships in a military environment being unacceptable, but then again, I don’t know how it works in Equestria. Either way, doesn’t she hate you?”

“Hate? Nah”—the pegasus waved his hoof—“I don’t think so. She probably sees me as a little annoying, but I do what I do in the name of fun. Anyway, I’m probably getting ahead of myself, but I’ve got a few mates in the royal guard who have hooked up, so I don’t think there are any issues here.”

“Alright. Just thought I should bring it up. By the way, what time are you returning to Harmony?”

“Ahh, I dunno. When do you plan on returning?”

“Around seven in the morning. I had planned on returning at night, but I didn’t think I would have my meeting with Princess Luna so early today. Speaking of which, you’re all getting new uniforms sometime within the next few months.”

“Ooh, nice! But hold on a sec. You couldn’t have been with Luna for that long, just talking about uniforms, right?”

“No, I had other issues to discuss with her, but I won’t bore you with the details.”

“A’ight, then I’ll see you in the morning. Nighty night.”

“Good night ‘Lance.”


“We need to figure out a new method of transferring crew, Captain,” Luna commented, as Soban resumed his place at Harmony’s bridge. “I am a busy mare, and it seems as if my obligations to transfer you and your crew are purposefully timed to parts of the day when I must take care of several pressing affairs.”

Soban descended into his seat. “I can get construction to work on some vessels to shuttle crew between the ground and orbit, but I’m afraid it’s currently low priority.”

Princess Luna sighed. “Very well, I understand. I shall leave you to your mission, then. Good day.” Lighting up her horn, she disappeared in a flash.

Zenith entered the bridge. “Good morning, Captain. I trust you had a decent break?”

“Decent enough, thanks. You are aware of our mission today, yes?”

“Seems straightforward to me, sir. Five hours to the Turquoise Nebula, meet with the Hiigaran flagship Sajuuk and the battlecruiser Masmak, exchange some information, transfer the fifth hyperspace core to Sajuuk, and return home. Correct?”

“More or less. Is everypony aboard?”

“I think so. I can double-check for you … Yes, you and Firelance were the last to board. Timberwolf and Ursa Major report they are ready, along with our mobile refinery.”

“Good, good. How did the repairs go?”

“Everything is as it should be. Well, almost everything. Our ship still needs a new coat of paint, but that’s not really important right now, correct?”

“Correct. Alright, then we can head on out right away. Set coordinates for the Turquoise Nebula.”


“Thirty seconds until hyperspace exit, sir,” Zenith reported.

Soban smiled at his shipmate. “You’re going to love this place, Zenith. One of the galaxy’s enigmas, because nobody knows if this place is a natural formation or not. It looks like something had exploded, but it’s way too small to have been a sun. Just another mystery of the galaxy, I suppose, but it’s just breathtaking. Here we go, take a look for yourself …”

Harmony, Timberwolf, Ursa Major and the mobile refinery arrived along the outskirts of the tiny nebula. No more than a few hundred kilometres in diameter, it consisted of a small sphere of dense, green gas and rock, while long, snaking tendrils of turquoise gas trailed out in every direction. A dim, orange sun burned far off in the distance, and the nearby galactic centre served as a backdrop behind even more distant tufts of colossal dust clouds.

Except for the Captain, the entire bridge crew gasped, and their eyes flared with awe.

“It’s … gorgeous!” Zenith spoke up. Quickly realising her role, she cleared her throat. “Ahh, hyperspace successful. We—wait, that’s not right. We’re alone. The Hiigaran fleet is nowhere to be found.”

“Oh they are around,” the Captain reassured. “There is a reason we chose this location to meet up. Given the sensitivity of what we carry, and the information we are to exchange, this nebula serves as a secure place, as its gas blocks communication and masks us within its centre. The fleet will be waiting inside for us,” he finished, proceeding to open comms. “Timberwolf, Ursa Major, move up and establish communication while we draw closer. Oh, and Zenith, let’s empty our hangars and get all our ships into formation with us. They will have to serve as our eyes once we enter the gas.”

Engines blasting away, the destroyer pair sailed off towards the nebula’s small centre, leaving the larger, slower flagship to catch up, while releasing its resource collector and eighteen squadrons of strike-craft. Each squadron lined up alongside Harmony in four rows, based on their types, with the resource collector bringing up the rear alongside its mobile refinery in a fifth row.

“Ursa Major approaching nebula centre. Wow, this gas is more like a thick fog. Visibility can’t be more than a few hundred metres. Timberwolf, recommend we slow to sixty metres per second. Looks like instruments are going to be unreliable from here on in.”

“Timberwolf copies. Slowing t— … -ty mete— … -nd. We—”

“Captain, I’ve lost all trace of both destroyers,” Zenith reported, a hint of concern in her voice.

“To be expected. We should regain communication once we are inside, provided we remain in proximity to the others.”

Several minutes after they had first breached the thick gas, Harmony navigated its oversized body painstakingly through the light asteroid field, while the strike-craft surrounded Harmony or scouted ahead to report back any obstructions that may cause harm to the behemoth. Eventually, the fleet reunited, and found themselves alongside the Hiigaran fleet.

Soban was the first to attempt contact. “Captain Soban here. Sajuuk? You reading us alright?”

“Yes, Captain,” Karan S’jet’s voice replied. “Welcome. Stand by. We’ll arrange for transportation to bring you aboard.”

“No need, Fleet Command. Give me a few minutes, and I’ll be over,” the Captain finished. “Zenith, message Shining Armour to meet me on deck four, just outside section twenty-seven, then tell Corona to do the same, so she can teleport us over.”

“Yes, sir.”


Several officers were seated in a dim conference room, exchanging quiet words, while another at the head of the table organised several stacks of folders. A bright flash of light at the opposite end caused them all to jump, when three newcomers materialised in mid-air.

“ARRRGH-oof!”

“Ow, my back!” Shining Armour groaned on the floor, after Corona hit the edge of the table and landed on his back. “What the hay, Corona?”

“I’m sorry, it’s hard to make a blind teleport, when the description of where to appear is so vague.”

“Never mind, never mind. As long as”—Soban straightened himself up with a grunt—“as long as it’s easier to get back.” Looking around, he froze when he became aware of his audience. “Well, at least we don’t have to walk to the conference room.”

“That has to be the most interesting method of entering a room I have ever seen,” one of the many bewildered officers commented. Saluting, the one beside the projector introduced himself. “Wing Commander Leykab.”

“Pleasure,” Soban replied, only just realising how surprised a briefing room full of officers would be at their entrance. “This is Corona, and Shining Armour.”

“Ahh! I’ve heard a lot about you, uhh … Captain Armour?”

The stallion smiled. “Just Shining will do, thanks. I’ve never been big on formalities.”

“Shining, it is. Now then, shall we get started? Forgive my urgency on the matter, but this is something you will most definitely want to see. Fleet Command?”

“Thank you, Wing Commander,” Karan’s voice returned. “Captain Soban, you recall the encounter with the keepers while you commanded Manaan, yes? Well after your victory, Captain Nabaal seized the opportunity to recover the remains of the keepers. As they were the first ever defeated keepers that left behind any significant remains after their destruction, he intended to analyse their exoskeletons to discover how their armour could withstand even a fully charged phased-cannon hit from this vessel. What the resource collectors brought back was far more interesting, however. Please direct your attention to the projector.”

Appearing at the centre of the table, a holographic projection depicting a keeper appeared. The image rotated and zoomed on a particular section of the autonomous vessel, as something of importance was highlighted.

“This was one of the sections recovered. It housed many systems for controls and sensors, but of particular interest was a data recorder. One that had been running since its creation. Decrypting it took considerable time and effort, but eventually we managed to view everything. Audio, video, transmissions. Everything. Captain, we now know why the Progenitors disappeared.”

The projection disappeared, as Karan continued.

“Approximately ten-thousand years ago, the final keeper emerged from production. In one go, every keeper was activated, and given three instructions by the Progenitors in this order: ‘Wipe the galaxy of all life’, ‘obey your makers’’, and ‘allow no harm to come to your makers’. Paraphrased, of course. However, a programming fault instructed the keepers to accept these orders individually, rather than in one go. As a result, only the first instruction was accepted. The keepers immediately saw the Progenitors as targets, and ignored any subsequent commands. Realising hundreds of keepers now had their sights on the Progenitors, they abandoned the galaxy via a trans-galactic super-gate, deep within a fortress known as Khorsabad.”

“That’s the name those two keepers mentioned!” Soban jogged his memory.

“Exactly,” Karan continued. “We all know keepers will pursue a target relentlessly, until they no longer detect sufficient energy or life signs in their target, or no longer have the means to follow. This super-gate was powered by four components that automatically disconnected as the final Progenitor fled our galaxy. No longer able to pursue them, the hundreds of keepers powered down and waited. So far we do not know why the keepers haven’t gone on a galactic crusade to destroy everything, though. It seems they are mainly in some sort of defensive mode. Of particular interest is that one of those components powering the gate is a hyperspace core.”

“We are the keepers of Khorsabad. We are the guardians of the sixth,” Soban quoted.

“Precisely. The final core is most certainly at Khorsabad. However, this is where all useful information ends. For all the data stored in the recorder, the location of this fortress remains unknown. Likely, it was purposefully never recorded, as this gate seems to be the only way in and out of this galaxy, which means if what the Bentusi said was accurate, the Progenitors would return through that gate. We need to find that gate before it is too late.”

Soban frowned. “Any chance of narrowing the search areas down? I mean, the galaxy is a pretty big place.”

“I’m afraid not, Captain. However, given how highly the Bentusi spoke of you in that audio log you sent us, I suspect you and your fleet might be the only ones who could find it. We will assist wherever possible, but at present, we are clueless.”

“Damn. Alright, alright, well unless there is anything else to discuss, I’ll oversee the transfer of our fifth core, while you have your interview with Shining Armour.”

“Thank you, Captain. That will be all. Shining Arm— … Excuse me for a moment.”

“Captain Soban, you and your crewmates should return to your ship immediately,” Karan’s voice returned, holding the same calm tone she always used.

“Is something wrong, ma’am?”

“Turanic Raiders. Our position has been compromised. Fortunately, Sajuuk’s sensors were able to pierce the fog and pick up multiple contacts. Three cruisers, a carrier, five frigates, and several strike-craft.”

“How did a bunch of Turan—”

“Captain, go! No time for questions!”


“What do you mean you can’t put your shield up?” Soban yelled, back on the bridge of his vessel. “I thought you said your magic returned!”

“There is a massive difference between lifting something up, and making a shield, sir,” Shining Armour reasoned. “I’ve tried already, Captain. I thought I could hold it, even if for a short time, but I just can’t do it.”

“Great. Just great. Now we have—hold on, incoming transmission.”

“Captain?”

“Yes, Fleet?” Soban replied, drumming his fingers in frustration.

“The Raiders have activated a powerful hyperspace inhibitor we have never seen before. Even our hyperdrive is offline. We are trapped.”

“Perfect,” he groaned. “Alright, we’re ready for orders.”

“Sensors indicate a large wave of fighters inbound. ETA is two minutes. The gas’s interference will put us at a tactical disadvantage, so I want your interceptors and gunships to buy us some time as we exit the nebula. Battlecruiser Masmak will cover our port side. You take our starboard, and have both your destroyers above us. The Raiders approach from a forty-degree inclination.”

“Yes ma’am. Lightning squads one to four, intercept the raiders with Typhoon squads one to six. Lightning, stick with the corvettes until you are all within weapons range, then break off and pick your targets. Timberwolf, Ursa Major, you heard Fleet, now go!”

“Captain, these cruisers are approaching us faster than I would have thought possible,” Karan returned, the concern in her voice ever-increasing. “I can take out the lead cruiser in one hit, but the other two are attempting to flank us. I won’t be able to turn around in time to take out another one, so your destroyers will need to concentrate fire on the second cruiser. Masmak will assist.”

“How long until they are in range?”

“Four minutes. Five, at best. Looks like your interceptors and corvettes have already engaged the enemy fighters. Prepare your bombers and pulsar gunships. Enemy frigates and corvettes aren’t too far behind those fighters. Once we take them out, it will be just the cruisers and that carrier. Masmak will launch its five squads of cloaked bombers.”

“Cloaked bombers?”

“Experimental hit-and-run fighter design. Carries unguided bombs with compressed plasma. I want your interceptors to draw fire away from them when the time comes.”

“Copied, ma’am. Enemy fighters are withering. Sending bombers and pulsars in. Thunder squads one to three, stick with Whirlwind squads one to five. They will keep enemy corvettes off your backs. Just focus on doing as much damage as possible to those frigates.” Leaning forward, Soban monitored what he could, as a single bead of sweat rolled down the side of his face.

“Lightning one-one reports all fighters eliminated,” a pilot reported. “Several others need to dock for repairs, though. Stray rounds clipped us.”

“Unless it’s life-threatening, we don’t have time to pull you out of the field,” Soban retorted. “There’s just no—”

“Wait! Enemy forces have stopped,” Karan cut in. “Their corvettes are retreating to the carrier. Go, dock quickly, before the Raiders decide to continue their advance.”

The four interceptors squads blazed past their gunship comrades, reaching Harmony’s hangar with no time to lose. Attaching to the walls of the hangar, the automated repair systems sprang to life, and began to prod, poke, cut, and weld compromised areas of the damaged fighters’ hulls. Within the minute, the sophisticated devices finished their repairs, and the vessels shot out of the hangar once more.

“Captain Soban?” Karan’s voice filled the bridge again. “We might have a bigger problem. The Raiders are entering hyperspace, but the carrier remains. It has resumed its approach towards us.”

“Oh, don’t tell me,” Soban dripped with sarcasm. “The rest of their fleet is going to short jump, and we are going to be surrounded, right?”

“I’m afraid so. They should be—yes here they are. Remember your orders. Concentrate fire on the second cruiser. Keep them away, or we won’t be able to track them effectively.”

Emerging from hyperspace, the fleet finally had a visual on the trio of cruisers surrounding them. Composed of junk parts strapped together to form a large, crude armour, the long, rectangular vessels were armed to the teeth with turrets of all sizes. Literally, as Soban noted a decorative jawbone design at the bow of each vessel. Painted with the tiger-striped design of the Turanic Raider clans, the low-tech beasts relied on sheer brute force to overcome their adversaries.

“Phased cannon array charging,” Karan announced. “All ships, mind the firing arc.”

The battlecruiser Masmak ducked underneath Sajuuk, and joined Harmony in taking apart the second cruiser. A total of eight ion cannons swept across the hull of the Cruiser, while Masmak supplemented its weaponry with several giant turrets of its own, hurling armour-piercing lumps of metal, along with the two destroyers, each having a good view of the battle from high above the others. The cruiser ignored its beating, and focused instead on attacking Sajuuk.

“Our ions barely did anything to the damn Cruiser!” Masmak’s Captain swore. “We’re going to need at least two more goes at this. Thirty seconds until next ion cannon firing. Dammit, the carrier is launching more strike-craft!”

Responding to the turn of events, the interceptors, and pulsar gunships broke off from the main battle, in an attempt to head off the incoming strike-craft before they could interfere, while the Equestrian bombers teamed up with the Hiigaran cloaked bombers to assault the second cruiser.

“Phased cannon array fully charged.”

The surrounding nebula was illuminated brilliantly as Sajuuk fired. An intense gold beam flared from the aperture on the fore of the ship, and punched straight through the first Cruiser. Save for the charred remains of its engines, the Cruiser had been completely and utterly vaporised by the time the cannon had ceased fire. The sudden annihilation of their foremost cruiser seemed to intimidate the bold aggressors, whose ships seemed to hesitate for a moment, before pressing their attack once more.

“Captain Soban, we have pinpointed the origin of the inhibitor field,” Karan broadcasted. “There is a device attached to the underside of the enemy carrier. Our cloaked bombers will break off and destroy this device. Send all available strike-craft to the enemy carrier and get their attention, so our fighters can slip through undetected. Make it quick. I have a strong suspicion these cruisers are going to attempt to board us.”

“What?” Soban’s voice cracked. “Strike-craft, you heard the lady. Move it!”

“Ion cannons ready,” Masmak reported. “One more after this, Soban!”

Another eight ion cannon beams swept across the second cruiser, causing several visible ruptures with billowing smoke. Several of its turrets appeared to be offline, and many lights seen through the cruiser’s tiny windows could be seen flickering and shutting off.

Despite the damage, the second Cruiser, along with the third, continued approaching Sajuuk, closing to a distance of mere kilometres, and showing no signs of slowing down.

“Bombers, we need that inhibitor destroyed. Now!” Karan’s voice began to show hints of fear. “We are running out of time!”

“Thunder two-one here. It—it’s no good, I’m pulling my squad out. Some of my guys are badly damaged.”

“Typhoon three-one, we’re following suit. Sorry guys.”

“Ion cannons charged!” Masmak’s Captain yelled.

This was the final blow. The ion beams had finally penetrated the armour and took out something volatile. A gut-wrenching explosion from within the second cruiser had snapped it in half, as if it were a twig, and plumes of plasma shot out in every direction.

“Yes! Second cruiser down. Now move your ass over and get that last cruiser, Soban.”

“It’s too late,” Karan stated. “Prepare for collisi—”

“All ships, the third cruiser has latched on to us. We are being boarded. We have no choice but to prepare our contingency plan.”

Soban’s eyes widened in realisation. “Surely you don’t mean—”

“Captain, I expect you to carry out my orders to the letter. After this transmission, I will remove myself from my core and jettison all four cores. I will manually guide them to your construction bay for you to keep safe. You will take your fleet back to Equestria after the destruction of the inhibitor, and Masmak will return to Hiigara to report the loss of Sajuuk and begin elections for a new Fleet Command. Do not pursue the Raiders. Stick to your mission. The Hiigaran Defence Fleet will take all the necessary steps to keep the Raiders at bay.”

“Fleet, there is no reason why you can’t escape as well,” Soban reasoned.

“Captain, I will not risk the detonation of the most powerful ship in the galaxy from a remote location!” Karan yelled for the first time in history. “We cannot allow the Raiders to possess Sajuuk, or the cores. Now follow my orders. Fleet Command out.”

Oh this is not good. Not good, Soban was on the verge of panicking. “All strike-craft are to retreat immediately upon the destruction of the hyperspace inhibitor, and prepare for immediate hyperspace. Masmak, once we leave, jump to a safe distance, and confirm the destruction of Sajuuk before returning to Hiigara.”

“Firing last salvo of warheads,” one of the cloaked bomber pilots reported. “Aaaaannnndddd … There we go, inhibitor down. That’s it, we’re buggin’ out!”

“Nothing we can to for Sajuuk anymore. Timberwolf, Ursa Major, the cores have been released. Cover their approach.”

Two cores from each side of Sajuuk emerged, slowly orienting themselves towards Harmony’s construction bay, as the destroyer pair came to a stop nearby. Crawling along in a painfully slow manner, the cores eventually touched down beside the core Harmony had already carried, at the same time the final strike-craft returned to the hangar.

“Alright, Masmak, we are heading off. Watch yourself.”

“You too, Soban. You too.”

“Karan, I don’t know if you can hear me, but … No words can express how much of an honour it has been to serve with you.” Cutting communications, Soban turned to his crew. “ Engage hyperspace.”