• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 3,268 Views, 96 Comments

Catching Butterflies - SlightlyOnline



A horrible turn of events leaves Rarity confused and Fluttershy angry. Can Rarity fix this problem?

  • ...
13
 96
 3,268

The Pain of the Unkown

Fabric flew through the air as sewing machines buzzed and threads weaved. A white unicorn was hard at work preparing an ensemble for a client. “Work,” she said to herself. “There’s always so much to do, which I suppose is a good thing, of course. Naturally I should expect an increase in my work load as my clients get bigger and bigger. Oh my! It’s such an exciting thought! Rarity’s designs worn by the most regal ponies in Equestria! Now, now, dear, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.”

In the midst of her external monologue, her timer rang.

“Oh dear, is it that time already?”

She swiftly grabbed her robe and galloped out the door to meet a certain yellow Pegasus at Ponyville’s spa. It was a small business, as the luxuries of a spa were not affordable to the average pony, but being one of the high class ponies in Ponyville, Rarity could afford to take her and Fluttershy weekly. They normally discussed current events and minor gossip, of course with the dress maker running the conversations. It was a lovely time to unwind after a long day of work.
Rarity entered the building and was greeted with the sweet scent of various fruits and herbs. She pushed through the wall of aroma and proceeded to the receptionist’s desk.

“Hello, Aloe,” she greeted the earth pony. “I believe Fluttershy has made the appointment.”

“I understand that this is your regular time, miss,” said the pink spa pony, “but we don’t have an appointment here for you.”

“What? I mean, you have to be joking with me. Where’s Fluttershy? She’s usually here by now,” replied the unicorn.

“She is not here. I haven’t seen her since your last visit. I'm sorry, but we're completely booked right now, and we don't have any room for you as you lack your appointment.”

Rarity normally found the spa pony’s accent to be soothing and refreshing, but now it just seemed to be harsh and condescending. “Are you absolutely positive? Is there anything you can do at all?” she said, batting her eyes.

The spa pony's patience was visibly being tested. “Your unicorn charm may work on some poor colts down at cheap bars, but you’re getting nowhere here. I'm sorry, but there is nothing that I can do right now. Have a nice day.”

Hearing no more of it, the seemingly preoccupied spa pony pushed the unicorn into the daylight.

“Hmph. How rude. Well, they may have just lost one loyal customer. However, I do wonder what has become of Fluttershy. I know she is very timid in social situations, but she loves our spa dates. I must go to investigate at once!”

With that, she began her slow canter to the edge of the Everfree Forest, where Fluttershy’s cottage was situated. She walked up to the large door and gave it a fast and precise tap.

“Who is it?” came a quiet and familiar voice.

“Darling, it is I, Rarity!”

“Oh no, um, can you please, um, go away?”

“Do tell why. We missed our spa date.”

“I don’t want to see you…”

“You don’t want to what, Dearie?”

“I, um, think you should go…” said the timid Pegasus. In a sudden burst of speed she turned off her lights and closed her blinds.

“You are acting awfully strange. Please, tell me what’s wrong.”

Silence fell upon the cottage as Fluttershy didn’t respond. An eerie darkness fell over Rarity during the time she stood there.

“Fluttershy, darling…” she began as she was about to open the door.

“I don’t want to look at you! Now go away!” Yelled Fluttershy with as much force as the weak pony could muster. The dumbfounded unicorn heard a heavy door bolt close. The sound of sobbing pierced the sky, as rain started to fall heavy on the cottage. Rarity herself was on the verge of tears as her best friend of many years shut her out in the rain. She galloped back to her boutique to collect her thoughts as tears streamed down her face.

Thoughts raced through her mind as worse case scenarios wedged into her consciousness. What if Fluttershy now hated her? What if it was her fault? It was extremely painful to think about. Even more painful to actually come to the reality of what had happened. She had been yelled at by the quiet, sweet mare she called her friend. What was she to do?

Before she knew it, she was running into her shop and collapsed into a fit of tears and wailing. She felt as if a knife had been stuck into her side. The worst part was, she had no explanation as to why. She laid there in a puddle of her own tear drops for what seemed like hours, but, in reality, were only mere minutes.

Rarity was quickly startled to her feet as there was a quick rapping at the door.

“J- Just a minute,” she hollered. Her hopes lie in the small chance that it was Fluttershy coming to give an explanation, but she knew in reality it was a slim chance.

There was another quick succession of taps on the door as Rarity was using a nearby towel to wipe the tears from her face. She opened the door, and to her disappointment it was Derpy Hooves, the local mailmare.

“I brought you a letter!” Derpy said, with her usual upbeat excitement.

“Oh… Yes, thank you, dear,” the white unicorn replied, attempting to put on a weak façade of happiness.

“Is something wrong? Anything I can do to help?”

“No… No, it is quite alright, thank you. Thank you, very much for bringing the letter. Please, do fly safe,” she replied, handing Derpy a couple of bits.

“Will do, Miss Rarity! Have a nice day now!” Derpy said as she flew off into the rain that she didn’t even seem to notice.

“Yes… yes, thank you…” Rarity muttered as she took her letter back to her couch. She admired the handiwork of the parchment the letter was printed on. Clasping the note shut was a brilliant purple treble clef. She opened it to reveal a formal request to meet with the classical musician Octavia about a dress for a grand performance. The meeting was to be the following day at the Canterlot Square Restaurant.

“Oh great, more work…” the designer muttered to herself. “My work… My work! That’s it! I don’t have time to deal with all of my personal problems when there is work to be done! I cannot and will not let my clients down!”

She immediately began picking up all assortments of fabric and started stitching them together. This continued through most of the night until her body shut down and she fell asleep with her head on her desk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The repetitive sound of an alarm clock bell partially awoke Rarity. She was fully awake only when her body hit the floor as she fell out of her chair. She clumsily stood up as if in a stupor and muttered to herself.

“Dresses… Clients…” her eyes shot open, “Octavia! I mustn’t be late for our important meeting! What time is it?”

She frantically scanned the room for a clock until she found one perched upon the wall, where it always is. It read half past nine.

“Oh my, that gives me only three hours to get there! There simply is not enough to prepare and make myself presentable,” she said as she observed herself in the mirror. “No, I must make the time. I shan’t keep Octavia waiting.”

With that she frantically brushed her mane and donned a beautiful dress. She then proceeded to gallop out the door in her frenzy and call for the nearest carriage to take her to Canterlot immediately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trip went by very quickly for Rarity, as her thoughts were otherwise occupied by more important matters. To her it seemed the more she tried to not think about Fluttershy, the more emotional she felt. She arrived at the large gate and asked the driver for the time.

“Twelve-twenty,” he said bluntly.

“Thank you very much, sir,” Rarity replied as she rushed out of the wagon.

“What, no tip?” yelled the driver at the speeding unicorn. Unfortunately his words were not heard, as the rushing white pony was focused on arriving at her destination on time. The realization dawned on her that she really had no idea where the Canterlot Square Restaurant was, let alone how to get there. As it was a new restaurant, there were not yet any signs or maps indicating its location, so Rarity had to inquire about it from the local ponies. From them she found out that it was right next to the entrance she had come in from. With a huff she trotted over to the outdoor seating where a grey earth pony was certainly waiting patiently.

“Hello Miss Octavia, I have arrived,” she stated as she came closer to the cellist.

“Ah, and you must be Rarity. Charmed,” said Octavia in a very professional tone.

“I do apologize for my blatant tardiness; I had to hurry out the door as I was working through the night.”

“Oh, it is quite alright. I am the one who should apologize to you. I made the mistake of giving you no instruction on how to get here. It’s a wonder you made it at all. You are here now, and that’s all that matters. Now, let us grab a seat, shall we?” the musician said as she led Rarity to a simple table with a view of the square.

Rarity took this opportunity to initiate their talk about Octavia’s order. “So,” she said, “tell me about this dress you wish for me to prepare for you.”

“Ah yes, we can discuss that in time. We might as well order our entrees while we can. They are not too terribly busy here during the day. At this time is usually when the musicians come to eat; we have our breaks right about now,” said the grey mare.

“My, how exiting that must be,” Rarity idly replied as she looked over her menu. “You must get to meet all of the great composers and artists from all over.”

“Not all of them are so great, mind you, but I do get to meet a lot of intriguing ponies. Across from us on your far right is Beauty Brass. As you may recall, I played with her in the last disastrous Grand Galloping Gala. On your oth-”

“Are you to ladies ready to order?” asked an interrupting waiter in a quiet manner.

“Yes,” said Octavia. “I would like to have the sunflower sandwich without any seeds, if I may.”

“And for you miss?” the waiter asked, turning to Rarity.

“Oh yes, I would just like a small order of hay fries please,” said Rarity, seemingly distracted.

“Of course, madam, I will have your food right out for you.”

Octavia waited for the waiter to be out of earshot before saying, “How rude. Ah, well, where was I?”

“You were talking about the other musicians.”

“Yes, yes. As I was saying, on the other side of you is Sergio Staccato. He is a bit of an oddball, has some dream of being both a famous musician and writer, but an astounding guitarist nonetheless. In fact, would you like to meet him?” she asked, with a twinkle in her eye.

“Um, yes. Of course I would,” Rarity said, willing to do anything to get her mind off Fluttershy.

“Mister Staccato!” Octavia said with enthusiasm. “How do you do?”

“Ah! The lovely Octavia! Darling, I do say it has been too long,” the tan stallion said with the fakest sounding dialect Octavia had ever heard, giving her a quick hug.

“You need to work on your accent; it seems to be worse than ever.”

“Ah, well yes. I just thought greeting you in that fashion would make you feel among your people,” Sergio said, revealing his true, deep and clear voice that had a hint of cheerfulness in it.

“I am however, among my people. You may have noticed my friend here, Rarity,” she turned to introduce the white unicorn.

“Charmed,” she said in the warmest voice she could.

Sergio cocked his head and raised his eyebrow. He looked the dress maker in the eyes and said “I love your voice. It’s very pretty. I hope you use it well.”

“Why, um, thank you, I think,” she said, struggling to keep her composure. He truly was an odd pony, indeed.

“Sergio, why must you be so direct?” Octavia remarked.

“I don’t see myself as being direct by any means. However, you seem awfully indirect. Now what brings you to Canterlot Square Restaurant, besides the fact that you eat here every day of course?” He almost sounded condescending, and yet still very warm and welcoming.

“I have come here to discuss an outfit for my next performance with dear Rarity here,” replied the cellist, turning to see her new acquaintance.

“Yes, that is correct. It does seem we have yet to do so. Shall we return to our table?”

“Yes, let’s,” replied Octavia as she turned to leave.

“Wait, Rarity,” said the dark brown haired pony. “Come here.”

Rarity complied and drew closer to him until she was staring right into his brilliant green eyes.

“Listen to me,” he said very bluntly, grabbing her by the hoof and looking into her marbles. “Always remember, that voice of yours has power. Use it well; it can do you some good. Also remember, the hay fries here are quite delicious.”

Rarity stared at him for a second as the words sunk in and she questioned how serious the stallion really was. She soon found herself being pulled back to her table by Octavia.

“What was that about?” the white mare asked her.

“I am not sure, but I suggest you listen to him. He may not seem like it at times, but he is a really smart stallion whom is unafraid of who he is. It’s rare for him to give advice such as that, even if it may or may not be laden with sarcasm.” Octavia looked down at their food. “Well, let’s eat.”

Rarity didn’t even notice that their plates had been served. As Octavia was about to take a bite of her sandwich, Rarity came out with a thought.

“You seem rather fond of Mister Staccato over there.”

Octavia nearly choked on her food. “Oh, no. Well, I mean yes, he is a nice colt and all, and once you get passed his odd personality he’s a real sweetheart, but I’m already spoken for.”

“Ah, so who is the lucky colt?”

“Well, SHE’S not exactly a colt…”

“Oh,” Rarity said, unsure of how to respond. “Well I wish you two the best of luck then.”

“Thank you, Rarity,” Octavia replied flatly.

An awkward minute followed as Octavia continued to eat her sandwich and Rarity idly levitated one of her hay fries.

“Rarity, is something wrong?”

“Hmm?” came the startled response.

“You ordered the smallest dish on the menu and haven’t even touched it. Is something wrong?”

“Oh, I am completely fine. I’m just… Tired, yes, that’s it. Tired…”

“What is it you’re not telling me? I can tell something is wrong.”

“I wouldn’t want to burden you with my problems. I am quite alright.”

“No, please,” pleaded Octavia, “tell me what’s troubling you.”

“Well, if you must know, it is my dear friend Fluttershy. She has acted awfully strange lately and I don’t know what the matter is. Yesterday afternoon she shut me out in the rain and yelled at me. I feel that I am missing something. It’s just… I don’t even know what to think.”

Rarity was obviously deeply troubled, as she was about to break out into tears. She soon felt a comforting hoof on her back. It wasn’t Octavia’s, as she looked up to see that it was Sergio. He flashed her a gentle smile before returning to his seat. If nothing else, this made Rarity feel much better.

“Are you okay?” asked Octavia.

“Yes. I’m fine. I just feel lost. But please, don’t worry about me. I think I may need some time to myself.”

“I think that would be good for you. It’s getting late anyway, we should both get going,” Octavia stated as she finished writing a check and got up to leave.

“But wait,” Rarity said, stopping her. “What about your dress?”

“We can arrange another meeting. That’s less important right now. You need to get home and relax.”

“Yes. I… I think that’s exactly what I need, I really should go now.” She got up and started to leave, but turned to see Octavia walking away from the restaurant alongside a unicorn with an electric blue mane. The appearance of this white mare intrigued Rarity, but she pushed the thought aside. Another quick turn of her head revealed Sergio sitting with his hind hooves propped up upon the table and a toothpick dangling from his mouth. He gave a nod of acknowledgement as she walked to rent another carriage to take her back home. Back to Ponyville.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rarity sluggishly climbed out of her carriage as she arrived back in Ponyville. To avoid interaction with the driver, she just left a sizeable amount of bits on the seat, not even bothering to count them. By the time she had arrived at her door, it was late evening. She slumped down on her doorstep in a fit of exhaustion, lost in thought. It wasn’t until her hoof brushed against an oddly shaped object that she was snapped out of her trance. Upon further inspection, it was a crumpled and soggy piece of paper, which she proceeded to open to reveal some smudged words. From what she could make out, it looked like a poem written with very pretty hoofwriting.

Hello Rarity, I think you need to know
I think you and me, could put on one great show
If you listen to me, I think that you may find
I want to tell you what is really on my mind

Oh Rarity, I think you need to sit next to me
Come close to me, I think you see, this needs to be
With a bright white coat and beautiful hair you’re the perfect mare
I want to show that I really care.

Rarity scanned the page for more information. She needed to find some way to see who wrote her that lovely poem, but all she found was badly smudged lettering at the bottom, presumably the author’s name. The confused unicorn scanned over the page one more time before heading inside to gather herself. Her legs threw her upon a nearby couch as her motivation to think faded away. She felt herself drift into a blissful sleep as Luna’s night overtook the sky.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After she heard a familiar tapping on her door, Rarity awoke as the eleven-o-clock sun shone through her window. She groggily arose and slowly moved towards her door. Not to her surprise, Derpy hovered on the other side of it, with a letter in her hoof.

“Hello, dear,” Rarity said, “I apologize for my appearance. I just rolled out of bed.”

“It’s no problem, Rarity!” replied the light grey pegasus with her usual upbeat cheerfulness. “Here’s your mail!” She handed her a simple letter.

“Thank you, very much,” Rarity stated, handing her some bits. “Do say ‘Hi’ to Dinky for me, would you?”

“Will do, miss Rarity!” the cheerful pony said as she disregarded her wings and skipped off into the distance.

Rarity walked back to her desk with a smile on her face. Seeing Derpy always made her feel happier, no matter the situation.
She sat down and ran a brush through her messy mane as she opened up the letter. The lack of a return address was odd, however she must at least give it a look out of courtesy. It opened to reveal the horrible hoofwriting of what seemed to be a young colt. It read:

Hello, this note is hopefully received by Rarity, if not somepony will be confused. It is very important that you listen to what this letter has to say. Go to Fluttershy, she needs you, and I know you need her. Go to her, and your friendship can be saved. Don’t wait too long.
-S

Rarity gasped. “Who would have the audacity to meddle in my business? I don’t know who this “S” is, but I intend to find out.” She let her thoughts collect for a moment. “But still, I think this advice should be considered. I see that there must be direction in this.”

For a moment she wondered if this “S” character was the same pony who wrote that beautiful poem, but realized that that would have been impossible as the hoofwriting was different and the signatures were of different lengths. She slumped back in her chair as she considered her options. The possible benefit of listening to the mysterious letter was that there was a chance to mend her relationship with her best friend, however if things were to go awry she could cause even more damage than had already been done.

“My, this is a difficult decision,” she muttered to herself. Her body, however, seemed to make the choice for her, as she found herself trotting out her front door, as if being controlled by an outside force. She passed by many onlookers and familiar faces in her trance. Some may have attempted to initiate conversation, not that Rarity would have noticed in her daze. She continued her journey until she had reached the outskirts of Ponyville. From there, her destination was in sight: Fluttershy’s cottage.