• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 20,177 Views, 674 Comments

Just Passing Through - Caliaponia



Humans, sailplanes and cloud cities just don't mix very well.

  • ...
36
 674
 20,177

5 - Light at the end of the tunnel

Light
at Just of
the Passing the
end Through tunnel


Resolved, he set out once more, following the trackbed as it led away from the river and climbed the rocky slope. He had only walked a short distance before rusty rails reappeared on the track; a few meters further and the edge of the cavern materialized out of the gloom. Upon reaching the edge, the tracks turned and began running alongside it, climbing a ledge carved into the wall until they reached a small side-cavern perched high above the main cave floor.

The light from the crystal veins pooled at the entrance to the side-cavern, leaving the depths a black void. He brought out his flashlight once more and immediately gasped as the light unveiled the mysteries within. Safely above the scouring wash of the river, this cavern was more otherworldly than any of the ones he had seen before. It didn't have the spectacle of the waterfall, true, but the sheer number of formations was overwhelming, and the natural sculptures here had an ephemeral elegance that he hadn't seen before. Delicate shapes crowded the room, with even the long-vanished miners respecting the spectacle enough to route the track around the most impressive sights.

It almost felt like a scenic stroll as he wound his way through the cavern. The track crossed a stone bridge above a ringed circular pool, swerved around a wavy stone curtain and, for one particularly massive stalagmite cluster, even dove into another artificial side-tunnel. Unfortunately, when he tried to follow the path past the stalagmites, he found that the tunnel entrance had collapsed.

Looking around for an alternate route, he spotted a nearby trail of footprints leading away from the track, including the set he’d noticed earlier that looked newer than the rest. Well, it's nice to know that I'm not headed towards a dead end, but I'd be happier if my path had a little less overlap with this particular critter. Beggars can't be choosers, though, he thought, hesitantly stepping down into the otherworldly stone jungle that sprouted at the verge of the tracks.

He followed the prints closely – this wasn't an easy walk on the tracks anymore. The natural cave floor was treacherously uneven, and he was focused on avoiding pitfalls, rather than appreciating the scenery.

The trail traversed a muddy slope, before climbing a small rise and arriving at the forest of columns that sprouted from the crest. Stone pressed close on all sides as he wove his way among the clammy gray pillars, slipping between the narrow gaps and stepping carefully on the lumpy rocks below. The rock was wet and slick to the touch, while the air lay cold and heavy around him. The innumerable stone surfaces caught every echoing drip of water, scrape of boot, and labored breath, accentuating and distorting the noises into a haunting soundscape.

As if on cue, a low moaning rose around him, and he felt a chill breath of air on his neck. He looked around nervously, as shivers ran down his spine and his grip unconsciously tightened on the spear. The shadows danced as his searching flashlight gave life to the twisted stone forms, but the room betrayed no hint of movement.

Okay, it's only the wind. Just air and rocks. Nothing to worry about, no matter how much it may be creeping me out, he thought, hurrying his steps as he finally escaped the field of stalagmites.

The prints wove back and forth around a couple of other obstacles before finally running off to the side and rejoining the tracks. He set foot on the gravel ballast with a smile of relief and set out at a fast clip once more. After only a few minutes, the cave gradually began to narrow, until the track filled it entirely. A tunnel once more, it rounded a bend and disappeared beneath an old wooden door.

The wood was rotten, but the door still held together. An arc of splintered wood on the ground suggested that it had been opened recently. With no other options, he pressed forward and gave the rusty iron handle a tug. His eyebrows raised when the door belied its decrepit appearance and obstinately refused to budge. He set his feet and, with a grunt of effort and a low whoosh of air, wrenched it open. The wind rose up from behind him, picking at his clothes as it eagerly rushed through the gap. He found it a struggle to balance the heavy door against it as he slipped through himself.

The door slammed shut with a heavy thud as soon as he stopped holding it back, cutting off the breeze and letting the ambiance of the chamber quickly envelop him. Immediately, his nose wrinkled and his eyes began to water from the pungent smell of a million incontinent hamsters. He made it only a couple of steps before the stench proved too much; he turned and hastily shoved the door open once more, drinking in the dank cavern air that poured in like it was heavenly nectar. As soon as he started to relax, though, the door tried to push itself closed again. He frowned at it thoughtfully, as he considered his options. His inventory was becoming sparse, but he did still have those metal spikes he'd found on the dog along with the gems.

Forcing the door open as wide as it would go, he quickly planted the spikes to wedge it against the breeze. When he was satisfied that the spikes were holding firm, he stepped back and savored the cool breeze one last time. Although the fresher air was welcome, along with it came a familiar low moan – louder now, and rising and falling in response to subtle fluctuations in the wind.

His hands clenched the spear reflexively as the sound gave him a fresh set of jitters. Okay, stronger wind equals louder sound. Perfectly logical. I still want to get the hell out of here, though, even with this lovely new cave as the alternative, he thought with a grimace, as he put the wind at his back, and ventured into the noxious cavern. He hadn't gone far before he noticed his footsteps no longer echoed off the stone, and he looked down to see that the rock had been overtaken by a thin layer of loose brown grit that was now being sculpted by the wind. I don’t even want to think about what that is.

The stuff grew deeper the farther he went, piled in heaps and mounds like drifts of foul snow. Soon the track vanished completely, leaving only faint shapes to suggest the underlying structures. Inevitably, he stumbled into an unseen hole, the resultant stagger kicking the light grit up into an acrid dust, the smell instantly redoubling until it was almost overpowering. His stomach did a little flip, and his nonexistent lunch did its best to escape, as he hunched over, gagging.

He immediately regretted his reflex, as the air was even worse down low, and he knew that if he started to lose it now, there was no telling when he'd stop. Wait... is– is the floor moving? What is– oh, bugs? Ugh. I don’t even want to think about it. Somehow, he managed to keep himself together, only to be rewarded by a light dribble of liquid on the back of his head as he stood up. I suppose there is no point in even trying to pretend that might be rain, he thought resignedly. Looks like the inhabitants are still around.

At least I've got these boots, he thought, as he resumed trudging ahead. I can’t even imagine what it'd be like to walk through here with crappy footgear – as is, the piles are almost deep enough to overtop them. Huh. If the guano is this thick on the ground, then just what does it look like above me? Curiosity got the better of him, and he flashed the beam upwards.

As far as he could see, a carpet of bats covered the ceiling, the living tide rippling and flowing in agitation as the light played over them. He swore, causing the churning ceiling to flash into a boiling cauldron of wings. He crouched down, reflexively covering his head as a hurricane of small forms swirled around him. The choking smell rose up once more, enveloping him in a little pocket of misery.

So… no light or noise. That would have been nice to know earlier, he thought grumpily as he quickly doused the light and held as still as he could. At least the smell isn't quite as bad. Either that or I'm just getting used to it.

He nevertheless buried his nose into his shirt as an impromptu mask, and did his best to ignore the sound of the bats all around him. While not as spooky as the howling of the wind, the noise was still disconcerting.

The bats' high pitched chitters and rustling wings reverberated from the walls, melding together into an uncanny cacophony that veered between sounding like the skittering of some many-legged insectile horror, high-pitched shrieks, and even faint laughter. He just tried to put it all out of his mind, and focus on something, anything, else. Right, just don't think of the elephant. Think of fresh air. A gentle breeze on a sunny day. The bright sky with a few puffy clouds and a playful rainbow. A rainbow that suddenly erupted into a massive explosion. Crap. Uh... Beer. Cold, frosty beer. Perfectly chilled in an endless field of snow. Snow swirling in from a howling blizzard. A mighty storm raged, pouring sleet and rain. Or a slow, steady drizzle that... wasn't rain. Dammit. This is going to be a long wait.

He was afraid to check the time, but the bats eventually calmed and he chanced moving again. The noise had dropped off as well, though the ghostly giggling portion seemed more pronounced. Okay, it could be called an improvement, but I've still had more than enough of this, he thought darkly.

Eager to escape but not wanting to risk upsetting the bats again, he slowly crept forward, relying only on the dim glow from his phone to pick out his path. As the seconds ticked by, he became increasingly certain he'd entered some kind of time warp, but if the phone was to be believed, it took only about three minutes to reach the end of the fetid chamber. Here was another door, but at some point this one had come unhinged, and it now lay half-buried on the cavern floor.

Beyond it was yet another artificial tunnel. The ceiling here was uncomfortably low, and he had to hunch down to make his way through. On the plus side, it was apparently too low for the bats also, as the floor here was thankfully clean. That was less useful than it might have been, though, as the breeze was now bringing the full funk of the amassed guano along with him. The olfactory assault was encouragement enough to hurry his steps, but rounding a bend he broke into a run like the first person into a store on black Friday. Ahead, a small square of light beckoned him forth like the Holy Grail.

It may not have been the wisest choice, but he was beyond caring as he dashed recklessly down the last few meters of the low, rocky tunnel. Bursting out onto a large circular patch of gravel, he briefly recoiled at the painful brilliance of the pure white light around him. After a few moments of squinting, his eyes had adjusted enough for him to realize he was standing at the bottom of a large stone shaft – one wide enough that he suspected it could’ve swallowed his entire garage. Daylight poured in the open top, illuminating the far side, but not quite reaching the bottom. From the angle of the light, he guessed it was now late afternoon. The shaft itself appeared to be a natural formation, but the ponies had clearly been hard at work here, too. Spidery metal framework rose along one side, supporting what looked like an old, broken conveyor system and a rusted-out lift. Looking at the state of disrepair, he wasn't about to trust any of it.

Fortunately, next to the lift was a series of steps carved directly into the wall. There were a few sections where the stone had crumbled, but nothing insurmountable. “Woohoo!” he whooped, a huge smile breaking out on his face as his wild cheer echoed up the stone walls. I’m finally getting out of here! He hurried over to the stairs and began to climb determinedly.

There were a couple of difficult sections, but he made good time up the first stretch. Past the third switchback, however, his legs were starting to feel a bit rubbery. He was glad to see that the shaft widened a few meters up, creating a broad rock ledge. Almost there. Just a little bit further, and I ca–

"Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" Aww crap, my alarm. He hastily fumbled for the phone before it could... “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

Several very long seconds later, blessed silence fell as he glared at the obnoxious device in his hand. Why did I ever think that was a good audio clip to use? He sighed. Yeah, time to wake up from my nap indeed. No lying on the couch hitting snooze today. I certainly wouldn’t mind waking up from all of this, though. His sigh morphed into a dark chuckle as another thought occurred to him. The alarm on my tablet is synchronized with my phone – I wonder what those dogs are making of it right now? Or do the ponies have it? Either way, I'm sure they're having fun trying to turn it off.

The all-too-familiar rustle of leathery wings intruded on his musing, and he reflexively ducked before looking over to see a dark stream of bats boiling out of the tunnel and passing overhead. Huh. Those bats just won't calm down. I wonder what set them off this time?

As the last few stragglers departed, he climbed the last steps to the ledge he'd noticed earlier. He was still drained from running; now his legs were shaking from the climb as well, giving a few nearby stones an almost magnetic attraction. He tottered over to them unsteadily and collapsed with a groan. Stripping off the backpack was a relief as well, but not as much as turning it around to see the foals still bundled up within, safe and sound – if a bit more fragrant. They were still breathing steadily, but showed no signs of waking. Whatever those dogs gave them must’ve been pretty potent.

For a moment, he could ignore the remaining flights of stairs and the knotty task of trying to salvage his relations with the locals. Now, it was enough to simply sit back, take some weight off his aching feet, and feel the cool breeze as it set dust motes adance in the afternoon sunlight pouring down the shaft.

His mind drifted, idly cataloging the pleasant sensations while gradually circling in on weightier issues. Even with the evidence right in front of him, it was hard to believe everything he'd done in the last few hours – on more levels than one. He wasn't sure which was crazier, the fantastical events, or his own preposterous reactions. Stealing a lock of hair from a mythical monster? He chuckled briefly at himself. If I do wake up in the funny bin, the doctors there will have their work cut out for them.

His reverie was cut short as he heard hoof-falls and snatches of conversation echoing up from below. After a brief battle, curiosity overcame fatigue, and he walked over to the edge to peer down. Below, six colorful forms milled around in front of the exit to the tunnel – the same six ponies he'd seen earlier. How did they get past the rockfall? he wondered.

It was easier to make out detail in the light, though the two ponies with headlamps had left them on, illuminating the bottom of the shaft, but still making it hard to look at them directly. Man, I just don’t get why they’d put up with such a lousy design, he thought crabbily.

Despite the glare, he was still noticing things he hadn't before. Most striking was the blue pegasus; not only were her sky-blue coat and rainbow mane even more vivid in the light, he noticed her entire lower half, wings, and tail were caked in a familiar dirty-purplish muck.

Even with the mud, though, he realized that the blue pegasus reminded him strongly of the yellow pegasus with the fiery mane he had first encountered – just as lithe, and if anything, even more vivacious. So, another she? With that thought in mind, he took a more critical look at the others as well. They’re not as athletic as the blue one, but otherwise, they all share the same sleek, underlying build. Again, nothing like the stallion. So these are all mares, then? he speculated.

Their actions didn't give him much in the way of clues. Blue was vigorously flapping her wings, which raised a cloud of dust, but failed to get her off the ground. The orange one with the cowboy hat walked up to her and asked what sounded like a question, to which blue responded sharply, assuming he was correct in reading how Orange laid her ears back. Orange moved away and over to converse with the purple one, while Blue started irritably trying to preen the mud from her wings. The glare from Purple's headlamp kept him from making out much about her, but the way she had gravitated to the center and how Orange and the others kept walking over to talk with her… Maybe she's the leader?

Near her was the yellow pegasus, walking carefully with her wings outstretched and a few bats circling around her. This didn't seem to faze her in the slightest, though it seemed to unnerve some of the others a bit.

After finishing her conversation with Purple, Orange had moved away, and was now the one closest to him; she seemed to be examining the stairs intently, and not liking what she saw. Yeah, there were a couple of tricky bits on the way up – and that's coming from the fellow with hands, he thought, amused.

The white pony with the blue headlamp was last out of the tunnel, mincing gingerly, as if she were trying to distance herself from her own hooves. Even from here, streaks of dirt stood out against her alabaster coat, and something about her tail seemed off. It’s the only one bobbed short among the six, he realized in surprise. Wasn’t it longer when I first saw them? Did something happen?

Bouncing around them all, seemingly at random, was the bright pink pony that had stared at him earlier. Now, her constant movement made it hard to make out anything, but once again, she seemed to somehow sense his attention, pausing and glancing around quizzically.

Well, the only way to go is up, some of them can fly, and there’s basically no cover up here anyhow. I’ve got the foals, so it looks like it’s finally time to meet the locals. I just have to introduce myself, show the backpack, and– what the heck is she doing?

The pink one had abruptly shifted, looking comically backwards to where her crazily poofy tail had just started to vibrate like an unbalanced washing machine. She yelled something out loudly, causing the ponies to all instantly huddle together and start looking up and around worriedly. The orange one spotted him almost immediately, pointing him out with a startled exclamation.

I guess this is my cue, he thought, rising to his feet as all the ponies turned to stare. But even as he stood, he heard a scritch scritch scritch -snick- to his left and felt the rock beneath him give a disconcerting lurch. Jumping back quickly, he watched in horror as a large chunk of the rocky ledge gave way from where he'd just been a moment ago.

A chorus of screams echoed up from below, and then... nothing. No crash? he thought, confused. Hesitantly, he dropped to his hands and knees and crawled across the still-trembling rock to where he could peer over the new edge. His jaw dropped as he saw a boulder the size of a delivery van hanging in midair, encased in a bright magenta glow. A resonant humming filled the air, and as he watched, the glowing field pulsed and the boulder snapped in two with a sharp crack. Another pulse and the halves split again, then again and again and again, the sound like a hail of gunfire until the boulder was reduced to nothing but a dusty cloud of floating gravel. A brittle quiet settled over the shaft as he stared down in terrified awe.

Heartbeats later, the glowing cloud parted in the middle, revealing the lavender pony once more. He could make out more now, as the blinding illumination was gone, replaced by a subtler glowing aura that danced and shimmered around the top of the mare’s head like a living flame. Though still bright, he could now clearly see her head and make out a jeweled tiara and horn atop it. Waitaminute– a horn? Those ponies weren't wearing headlamps – that's a unicorn!

Said unicorn stared back up at him, and even at this distance, he quailed under her piercing gaze. Oh hell, if she can do that to a huge boulder, clearing that rockfall earlier would've been nothing – they must have been nipping at my heels the whole time. I am so screwed, he thought, hastily scuttling back from the edge.

Okay, I can't panic yet – I just need to return the foals, and we can still sort things out. Backing up to the rock he had sat on earlier, he stopped and reached over for the backpack, his flailing hand frantically grasping at empty air. Whirling around, his eyes took in the bare rock, before tracing the brand new cliff edge, narrowing as he spied the freshly dug tunnel the edge bisected, and finally widening in horror as he spotted the canid figure standing next to it holding his backpack.

Icy dread crawled up his spine. “You son of a bitch!” he swore in shocked disbelief. This can't be happening! Not now. Not after I've come so far. Frustration and despair transmuted into anger, as he reached over to the other side of the rock and felt the smooth, reassuring shaft of the spear. Abruptly snatching it up, he charged the dog, yelling incoherently.

It backpedalled in surprise, and he grinned ferally as his rush put him between the digger and its tunnel, cornering it at the end of the ledge. He pressed forward, jabbing with the spear experimentally. The dog rose onto its hind legs, guarding with one paw as it held the backpack in the other. “Yeah, that’s right, back off,” he said. It may have armor, but it's still cautious, he observed.

He stepped forward again, this time thrusting seriously, but the dog melted to the side, forcing him to follow. He found he had no trouble staying ahead of it, though. It can't move well with those tiny legs when its arms are full, he realized, cutting off its line of motion. It retreated briefly, before settling into a guard stance and growling something at him.

“Sorry, I don’t speak dog,” he groused. “I don’t suppose you speak English?” It gave no reply. “Parlez-vous Français?” … Merde. “Tu hablas Español?” Nada. Frustrated, he finally threw in the towel and just made a ‘give me’ motion at the backpack. The dog’s bared fangs were reply enough, and he matched it glare for glare as he waited for it to make the next move.

Its ears twitched, and it looked away to the side, but he wasn't about to fall for the old ‘hey look over there’ trick, and stepped forward with a low stab. As he leaned into the thrust, the canid’s empty paw struck like a snake, and he was suddenly fighting to maintain his grip on the spear. Splinters and purple muck flew as the two contested the weapon until he finally twisted it loose from the dog's powerful, but awkward, grasp.

He staggered back a step, palms burning and legs trembling despite the adrenaline surging through his veins. He stood there for a moment, trying to look tough and nonchalant, as opposed to desperately catching his breath. It seemed content to wait, though it didn’t look particularly distressed; he hoped that it was merely a better actor. As the burn receded, he sprang into motion once more, this time mindful of the canid’s grasp, but the dog was ready, too. Its free paw always seemed in just the right place to intercept any thrust he made, and found he couldn’t press too hard for fear of losing control of the weapon again.

Crap. This isn't working, he thought in concern. As if sensing his hesitation, the dog leaned in aggressively and began to advance. “Bloody hell,” he exclaimed, backing up a few steps in alarm. The dog kept pace with his retreat, thwarting his attempts to harry it with his agility, and ignoring his feeble feints as it continued to take ground.

He hastily changed tactics, trying a slash instead, but the dog was already moving to counter. As his swing went wide, the dog charged him like a bull, batting the spear point away contemptuously, and lashing out with a taloned paw. He cried out in desperation as he threw himself aside, feeling the wind from its swipe on his face, even as he thrust the butt of the spear into its legs. He heard a meaty thock and a strangled yelp just as the back of his head erupted in pain.

He lay stunned for a few long moments, the world spinning above him, before he recalled his situation and levered himself up with a grimace. His gaze passed over the large rock he'd landed against, blurring in and out, as he turned to glare at the prone canid.

The dog was still sprawled on its stomach a spear length away, with the backpack lying just behind it, thrown clear of the fall. The flap hung open and some of the wrappings had fallen askew, but the foals were still cradled reassuringly within and looked fine. The canid started to rise, but hissed in pain and fell back down as soon as it tried to put weight on its right leg. The dog glared at him from where it lay on the ground, but he didn’t notice – his gaze had locked onto the backpack. He lurched towards the fallen bag, but not quickly enough. Realizing his intent, the dog rose to its three good limbs and pulled itself over to the backpack first, where it crouched down, growling.

“Dammit!” he swore, voice tight with pain. I don't have time for this! Gritting his teeth in frustration, he leapt at the dog, but even as the spear shot forward, a shimmering field sprang up around the canid, and the weapon glanced off the barrier as if it had struck solid steel. The dog seemed almost as surprised as he was, and its eyes went wide as it whipped its head around to the side.

This time he followed its gaze to where the rickety old elevator was rocketing up, encased in an all-too-familiar magenta glow, and arriving at the platform in a spray of rust and a shriek of tortured metal. Even before it stopped, the six mares were leaping off – eyes narrowed, and bodies tense like overwound springs. The dog cried out something in that strange tongue, holding up the backpack and pointing a shaking paw at him accusingly as the mares ran past, forming ranks against him.

His heart sank at the sight, stealing away his last dregs of strength. It's all falling apart, he despaired, but I can't just give up yet. He grimaced involuntarily as his vision swam, white knuckles gripping the spear for support. I've got to keep it together somehow; this isn’t the time to appear weak.

The ponies certainly looked strong enough; the purple unicorn in the lead had a wild look in her eyes, and her multi-hued mane was dirty and frazzled about the edges. The others were similarly disheveled and looked just as determined, except, did that pink one just wink at me? … No, that’s surely a serious look on her face. The blue pegasus, in particular, was clearly all business – she glared at his purple-coated spear point like it had personally offended her. The only kind look was from the yellow pegasus, but she was directing it at the backpack. When she looked up, he found himself caught by two bottomless teal pools that were as gentle as the spring breeze, but hard as diamond.

A deep sense of guilt overcame him; he could vaguely hear the ponies speaking, but his thoughts scattered like leaves in the wind, leaving him standing there dumbly clutching the spear. Tension sang in the air – thick, heavy, and warm like a hazy summer afternoon, but with a building potency that was making his hair stand on end. The light seemed to take on a different hue, the colors shifting – bright and almost painfully oversaturated to the point where the ponies' eyes and the gems they wore even appeared to glow.

His mind was heavy and sluggish; the very idea of either fight or flight impossibly tiring, and there was no place left for him to run to, anyhow. He should just lie down and rest. No! I can’t! he struggled instinctively. He opened his mouth to say something, anything.

"Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?" asked the purple unicorn’s saddlebags brightly. A thought floated up from the void. Oh. They found the snooze button. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" The oppressive tension spiked as a handful of panicked bats dropped out from beneath the yellow pegasus' outstretched wings, causing her to gasp and look down in concern.

His thoughts snapped free of their lethargy and he realized that his struggle was lost. But even as the spear fell from his nerveless fingers, the purple unicorn had already narrowed her eyes and was stamping her hoof. There was a sense of sudden release, and energy poured forth in a coruscating rainbow torrent.

All went white.

Author's Note:

It's been a bit of a long haul, so thanks for sticking with the story so far. Special thanks to maskedferret and Kwakerjak for helping from day one, A-hardie, Akouma and midnightshadow for sharing their thoughts on the latest chapter, and Luna-tic Scientist and JDRIZZLE for donning their shiny grammar police hats and corralling my innumerable wayward commas.

No, this is not the end of the story, though once upon a time it was. If you're curious about the gory details, I'll post them up in a blog entry, otherwise please continue on your merry way.

Sincerely,

-Cal