• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 5,299 Views, 166 Comments

Unmarked - Croswynd



When a pegasus grows to adulthood without gaining his cutie mark, a particular professor offers to bring him around the world in search of his purpose.

  • ...
5
 166
 5,299

Chapter 12: Decisions

Chapter 12: Decisions

With Zecora’s directions, the party of four quickly found their way through the forest, stopping only once to avoid a patch of Poison Joke. Even with the day slowly shifting toward dusk, Novell's spirits were higher than they had been since he had started out from Hoofington. Even though he had to leave two of his friends behind at Zecora's hut, the fact that they were okay was a relief. With any luck, they'd be no more than a day behind them heading toward Canterlot.

Pensive had promised in his usual manner of seriousness that he would escort Whisper safely out of the forest, looking strangely nervous as Novell told him to continue on from Ponyville to the capital. That was when the pegasus had realized that it would be the first time his friend would come in contact with a large group of ponies all in one place.

Thankfully, Zecora had dispelled his concerns with a smile and an explanation of how nice everyone in Ponyville was, even to her. It was one of nicer towns she'd visited in Equestria, she had said. Even so, Pensive had summoned the white cloak Novell had first seen the unicorn in, hiding under its distinctively out of place color.

Not wanting to trouble the unicorn any further, Novell had smiled and followed the twins in the direction Zecora had pointed out, the Professor at his side. Search had almost seemed sad as they left, muttering under his breath and sighing. As they trotted further away from the hut, the old pony’s mood had considerably improved almost back to his normal self, though there was still the shadow of something he’d noticed since they’d left the mountain.

Novell made a note to talk to the grey-coated pony about what was bothering him, realizing he'd already made a note before and had never followed up on it. He chewed on the inside of his cheek, deciding he had to make time to talk to all of the ponies in his party.

"Oh thank the Goddesses, we're finally out of that forest," Quills said reverently, drawing the pegasus out of his thoughts.

The filly was staring with glistening eyes toward the lights from the town ahead, her brother smirking at her out of her sight. Novell stretched his wings at the large, open space between where he was standing and the town. How long had it been since he'd been able to fly freely?

"Go ahead, Novell. I'll stay and watch the twins," Professor Search's voice came from behind him.

He glanced at the elder pony. "What?"

A mote of amusement danced in the unicorn's eyes. "I can see you're dying to fly and I daresay you've had few opportunities to these last few days. Go ahead and enjoy yourself. We'll head toward the town on hoof."

Novell scuffed a hoof against the trail, his eyes shifting toward the twins as they bickered back and forth over who had seen Ponyville first. A grin tugged on his muzzle as he stared over their shoulders at the lavender curtain of dusk blanketing the sky. Pale, violet clouds strode across the sky in stately paces, their fluffiness inviting him to rest on them and leave his troubles on the ground. Remnants from cumulonimbus clouds were always the best kind to relax on.

Just the thought of closing his eyes as he reclined on a bed of soft cloud was enough to make him whimper inaudibly. The feeling of his wings burning in flight, soothed by the cool, night air. Cutting through the darkness and seeing everything for miles, satisfying his curiosity from atop his fluffy perch.

He opened his eyes, not even realizing they'd fallen as he reminisced, instantly finding the yellow and white lights shining on the side of a mountain on the opposite side of the valley. That's Canterlot, isn't it? he thought, the feeling of peace he had experienced evaporating as he remembered the reason he was even near Ponyville.

"No, we need to go," Novell said regretfully. "We don't have time for me to fly around."

After a few moments of silence, the Professor sighed. "You're right, of course. The last train out from Ponyville will be leaving soon. I apologize for reminding you about it, my boy."

"Come on, you slow pokes," Quills called out from further down the road, her brother following sheepishly.

"Off we go, then?" Novell imitated his friend's favorite phrase.

The unicorn managed to look pensive at the words, nodding after a moment of staring into space. "Off we go, my boy. Off we go."

*****

Even though Novell had refused to enjoy a flight on his own, that didn't stop him from taking wing close to the ground. It felt wonderful to stretch his wings after spending so much time underneath the impenetrable boughs of the Everfree.

Being so close to their home seemed to put a skip in the twins’ step that hadn't been there before. Quills had slowly become less irritable, happily humming to herself and even speaking a few words to the Professor when he asked about a book in the Royal Library.

"A book about magical prisons? Well, yes, there are several on the subject. I've copied a few of the older ones when I was younger. Why?"

The Professor shrugged. "I was curious. Perhaps Havoc's prison was recorded there. If we're ever to put him back in it, we need to know how it was made."

Quills' eyes took on a glazed look. "Havoc, prison, maximum security, loss of powers-"

"-Discord, thousand year banishment, free-will-escape-clause. Wait. Spell capture design by...Warden of the Stream?" Scrolls finished, cocking his head in confusion.

Novell dropped to the ground beside them. "Warden of the Stream?"

The Professor traded a glance with him before raising an eyebrow. "Now what, my little ponies, was that?"

"You asked for a book, so I 'looked' for one," Quills said simply.

"Looked for one?" Novell asked as they group continued walking.

Scrolls nodded at him. "Yup! My sister and I are the caretakers of the library for a reason. We've memorized every single book we've ever read or, in Quills' case, transcribed. At the very least, we know every title of every book in the library, if not the contents. It's our talent. That's how we could tell you about Havoc. He was in a book the Princess Luna asked for."

"Memorization?" the pegasus wondered aloud.

"Useful, isn't it? And it's not just books. I can remember just about everything I encounter. Photographic memory," Quills bragged.

Professor Search picked that moment to interrupt. "I don't suppose you've read or transcribed the book by this...Warden? What was the title?"

"I've never read it fully-," Scrolls started.

"-but I remember there was a letter with it!" Quills completed her brother's thought triumphantly. “It wasn’t addressed to anyone, but there was a magical lock on it. From what I read, it reminded me of a spell-parcel. A message keyed to a certain type of individual magic effect, or IME.”

The pegasus brightened up at that. “You mean that light every unicorn has when they do magic?”

Professor Search harrumphed approvingly. “Right you are, my boy. I’m surprised you know that, though I suppose I shouldn’t.” The old unicorn glanced at him with amusement. “After all, I was honest when I said you were an intelligent lad.”

“I learned a lot of different things trying to find my cutie mark,” Novell sighed, ruefully wondering if that fate had been the easier. Though, I suppose the easier is not always the best. Besides, I have friends now. Something I probably wouldn’t have gotten if I hadn’t found the Professor or stayed in Hoofington.

“At any rate, we need to hurry and get to the train station if we’re going to arrive at Canterlot before tomorrow,” Scrolls put in and broke into a trot. “Race you there!”

“You’re on!” Novell said, laughing as he opened his wings and soared past the colt.

“Wings?! No fair!” the earth pony yelled, falling into a gallop behind the pegasus. The Professor grinned and followed, leaving an annoyed Quills to trot after them.

“Stallions,” she snorted.

*****

The two of them stopped when they entered Ponyville’s city limits, Quills and the Professor far behind them. Novell looked back once to see just the slightest bit of movement on the darkened horizon before glancing curiously around at the town they had tried to hard to reach.

Ponyville was larger than Hoofington, though only because of the sprawled nature of it’s outer limits on the rolling hills of the valley. The houses were similar, but different in his eyes. The lightning rods that stood a bulwark between the sky and his home city’s rooftops were not evident here and while Hoofington had a burgeoning market street, Ponyville had only a square around what he assumed was a town hall. A single light was on in the building and he could just make out the silhouette of a pony working on a desk. The mayor must be a busy mare here, from what his own said this city had gone through in the last year.

“Cozy little place, isn’t it?” Scrolls pointed out from beside him.

Novell nodded. “It’s so spread out, compared to Hoofington.”

“I’ve never been, actually. Ponyville is really the only place I’ve ever visited, aside from Canterlot,” the earth pony admitted. “Which is why I was so happy when Professor Mark asked me and Quills to come with him. He travels a lot, but he always said we were too young to go with him. Until last week, anyway.”

The pegasus floated down to ground level and walked beside his friend for a time. “You miss him, don’t you?”

Scrolls sighed after a few moments. “I do. I’m hoping we find him when we find Havoc. Or before.” The colt looked worried. “I don’t know what he did to the Professor, but I need to find him.”

“Havoc said something about giving him knowledge of something,” Novell got out, only now remembering what the draconequus had said. “He also said Study Mark knew what my cutie mark was and that was the knowledge he asked for in return.”

“I wished I had asked him,” the earth pony wistfully replied. “Because no one deserves to be lost in this world.”

The pegasus stopped in his tracks beside an alleyway, those words echoing in his mind. Something flickered in his chest, a tingling warmth settling over his body as the colt looked curiously back at him. Novell smiled and was just about to say something when somepony slammed into him from behind.

“Oof!”

He jumped into the air with a squeak and turned around mid-air, his wings keeping him aloft. Below him was a frantic, lavender pony levitating books off the ground. A couple of tomes lay across her back and in her saddlebags, which themselves bore a star burst pattern. Snickering reached his twitching ear from behind him as his companion joined in the amusement. Flushing with embarrassment, the pegasus lowered himself back to the ground just as she finished picking up her things.

“I’m so sorry about that. I was just caught up in all the things I need to remember to do and I just-.”

“No, it’s fine. This happens a lot,” Novell interrupted her, waving a hoof in dismissal.

“Oh, I see. Um, you’re new here, aren’t you? My name is Twilight Sparkle.” The mare smiled warmly, her eyes glittering in the dusk shine.

The pegasus grinned back at her uncertainly. “Uh, my name’s Novell. Nice to mee-”

“And my name, mon cheri, is Scrolls Parchment,” his companion responded suavely, grasping one of her hooves with one of his own and planting a kiss it.

“Oh,” the mare laughed awkwardly in surprise. “A Canterlot gentlecolt, aren’t you?”

Scrolls grinned impishly at her statement. “I recognized your poise and manner as a mare of our fair capital, m’lady. ‘Tis is only fair I give you the greeting you deserve.”

Twilight smiled fondly back at the colt. “I’m afraid I’m a bit of a klutz, actually, but thank you, Mister Parchment.”

“Please,” the earth pony said with a wink, “call me Scrolls, Miss Sparkle.”

“Twilight,” she responded before acting as if she remembered something. “Oh, my goodness. Sorry, I unfortunately have quite a bit of studying to get to for a novel I’m writing. I hope you enjoy your time in Ponyville, sirs!”

Novell’s mouth was gaping open as he watched the mare take off before turning a corner. He stared at the spot she had been before glancing over at Scrolls, who looked vaguely wistful.

“You know, she’s the student of Princess Celestia,” the young pony said after a time. “Element of Magic, too.”

“Wha-, what,” the pegasus choked out. “As in one of the Elements of Harmony?”

Scrolls nodded and continued walking toward the train station. “The same.”

“But, I-, you-, she-,” Novell gave up and followed his friend.

*****

Luck was with them that evening, because they made it to the train station just as the sun was shining its last rays over the horizon. Novell was still reeling from meeting the element of Magic herself, while Scrolls seemed a bit sad after she had left. Even so, both were recovered by the time Quills and the Professor strode up the wooden steps to the station itself.

The pegasus smiled at them as they joined him before returning his attention to the contraption before him. He’d seen trains before in Hoofington, though they were little more than cargo haulers rather than the passenger vehicle in front of him. Still, his interest in the locomotive’s mechanisms hadn’t waned.

“All abooooooooard, I said all aboard that’s going aboard! Last train out from Ponyville to Canterlot, all aboard!” the conductor called robustly, his voice carrying in the near silence of twilight.

As he did, a few groups of ponies strode into the assortment of coaches, followed quickly by the four of them. Novell and his friends handed over the boarding passes they’d attained at the kiosk at the steps of the train station and found their seats just as the train whistled its farewell to the town they had raced through.

“Well, that was a pleasant enough town,” Professor Search commented. “Just like the last time I passed through. A shame we couldn’t stay long enough to mingle with the populace, but I suppose they were all asleep anyway.”

Novell nodded absentmindedly as he stared out of the window next to their seats, momentarily forgetting his encounter with the lavender mare. Ponyville gradually fell away to fields, forests, and finally mountain terrain. The tracks rose in pony-made hills above the forest floor, the tips of conifers whizzing by in a manner not unlike the pegasus saw when he was flying.

“Ugh, Novell, stop staring out at the window. You’re distracting,” Quills complained weakly from beside him.

He glanced backward to see the filly was a little green instead of her normal parchment color, eyes unfocused and teeth gritted. Her hooves were digging into the seat and every time the carriage shook, she swiftly shut her eyes. Novell glanced over at Scrolls, cocking his head in confusion.

“Motion sickness,” the colt mouthed, adding a barfing face to further reinforce his point.

Novell felt a grin tighten across his muzzle, careful to keep it hidden from Quills with one hoof. For all her self seen perfection, she obviously wasn’t good at everything. A second passed after his thought, his mind strangely blank as he waited for something. He blinked and glanced around, wondering why he felt so off put by the silence.

Oh, right, he remembered in a flash. Pensive isn’t here right now. The thought filled him with a melancholy he hadn’t felt since before meeting the Professor, his eyes automatically gravitating to the window again. Absentmindedly, he stared at the star speckled sky, glancing around for the moon before realizing that, too, was no longer going to be there for the next few nights.

The pegasus sighed and relaxed his suddenly weary body, wondering again if him finding friendship and purpose was worth setting Havoc free. Maybe I would have been better off being stuck in Hoofington. Everypony would have been better off...

Over the course of the next hour, Novell fell into a fitful doze regularly disturbed by the strange motion of the train and Quills’ frequent headbutts as she tried to hang onto her dinner. By the time they reached the Canterlot train station, both he and Quills were equally drained. The two stumbled out of the carriage to the concrete station floor, the filly's legs shaking as she regained her senses while Novell leaned into a sympathetic Professor Search's shoulder.

"Come on, lad. We'll go find an inn to bed down for the night. I'd normally take you to my house, but that's quite a bit further up into the city."

The pegasus nodded absently, still beating himself up. It seemed the closer he came to actually telling the Princess what he had done, the more his actions haunted him. Perhaps she would smite him as soon as he told his story - Novell almost wished it instead of living with the shame of releasing the chaotic being.

Promises, he thought against the darkness like a lantern in the night. I made a promise I have to keep, regardless of how I feel. After that, I can ask the Princess to banish me or...something.

He passed through Canterlot's nighttime streets in a daze, barely glancing at the sights the city held glittering in the light of fireflies and torches. A faint breeze whispered through the air around them and gently tousled his feathered wings. A gentle buzz of conversation even this late penetrated his haze, but he couldn't make anything specific out.

Eventually they made it to a building, all but the Professor almost asleep on their hooves. Both of the twins yawned loudly behind him, the rumbling voice of the old unicorn soothing in his ears. Leaning against his friend reminded him of when he had been a little foal, his father scooping him up and holding him. Along with the welcome memory was the unwelcome twinge of homesickness, but he was too tired to worry about it.

The lights in the establishment were darkened to a small glow, Novell’s mind turning them to stars against the shadowy ceiling. It only occurred to him after a minute of staring at it that his impression was exactly what the rafters were supposed to remind him of. A grin stretched across his face as he marched up the stairs, followed the Professor into their room, and fell instantly asleep. Tomorrow was a big day.

******

Novell sat bolt upright as he awoke, light peeking through the airy curtains covering the tiny window. He was momentarily confused as he all but tumbled out of his bed, the hardy wood reassuring beneath his hooves. Wait, that’s not right. Zecora had an earth floor and I never liked my house’s flooring.

He glanced down at the floorboards, noticing the differences between them and his home’s own springy wooden floor. The pegasus would have stood there for another few minutes thinking through his morning sluggishness had a noise not caused his ears to perk up.

Another snore came from the other bed in the room and Novell finally realized where he was. He was in an inn in Canterlot with his party to meet with the Princesses to tell them about Havoc. With a satisfied nod, the pegasus walked over to the Professor and shook him awake. A second later, he realized exactly what he was going to do.

“Hmm, what, huh?” Professor Search muttered as he jerked awake suddenly. “Oh, Novell. You look like you’ve seen a ghost, my boy. Or am I seeing things? Hmm, where are my glasses anyway?”

The pegasus wasn’t listening, but fighting the nervousness that was just beginning to fill his chest. Novell paced the small room as his friend removed himself from the bed and levitated a pair of glasses to rest on his muzzle.

“Are you okay, lad?”

The pegasus opened his wings in surprise before settling them back down. He shook his head. “No, no, not okay. I- I don’t know if I can tell them about Havoc. The Princesses, I mean. Maybe we should just forget about telling them. I’m sure they know. I’ll just go back to Hoofington and everything will be fine and dandy. Perfect, even! Perfect is just...great.”

“Ah,” his friend said simply.

Novell looked at the Professor’s impenetrable gaze, almost on the edge of hysteria. “Ah? Don’t you know what they’ll do? I’ll be banished! Maybe even imprisoned.”

“Or imprisoned in the place you’re banished to?” Professor Search said wryly. Novell stopped and looked at the unicorn in sudden horror, not even having considered that possibility. “Wait, wait, lad, that was just a joke. Don’t look so frightened.”

“But, but-,” he started before being cut off.

“But nothing. Don’t worry, Novell. The Princesses are fair and just rulers. You know this.” The unicorn smiled. “I know what you’re going through here, to a point,” he added at Novell’s attempt at objection. “Trust me, lad. I’ll take responsibility for this if they decide to levy any punishments.”

The pegasus shook his head vehemently. “No, you won’t. I won’t let you. It’s my fault he’s out and it’s my fault ponies are going to get hurt!”

“Then the only thing you can do is be honest with them so they can do what must be done to rectify the situation,” Search said gently.

Novell held the Professor’s gaze for a moment before sighing and letting a frown creep up on his face. “I’m being silly, aren’t I?”

“No. You’re reacting like anypony would had they just unleashed something awful on the world. I know I was just as tempted to not come forward when I let loose all those parasprites on Canterlot, but I did it anyway. Honesty isn’t always easy, but it is usually the best decision when it comes to making mistakes.” The unicorn paused and stroked his mustache thoughtfully. “In a way, however, Havoc being released is partially my fault. I brought you away from Hoofington and to that mountain. So I will stand by you and accept my share of the blame.”

With a nod and a deep breath, the pegasus cleared his mind of worries. “Alright. You’re right. Thank you, Professor. I don’t know much about friendship, but I’m glad you’re with me.”

“You did save my life and I do enjoy your company, my boy,” the unicorn replied jovially, standing up to all fours now that the trouble had passed. “Let’s go wake the twins and have them escort us to the library. I do know the way, but I daresay they’d be angry at us if we went without them.”

******

Novell goggled out at the sights around him as they trotted their way up the cobblestone street toward the royal district. Chariots and stagecoaches of all kinds threaded through the roads around well-dressed ponies going about their business. The air was filled with the sound of mares and gentlecolts conversing with one another, a constant presence as they ascended through the market district.

Though the pegasus was from a fairly large community, the size of the market they walked through was boggling. From what he could tell, most of Hoofington could fit in just this district, which was even more stunning when he realized that this was all on the mountain, gently curving upwards to the crowning jewel of Canterlot - the royal palace.

Along with the mass of ponies and their well-to-do jibber jabber, a mosaic of aromas and smells sifted through to delight his senses. From apple pies to fresh salads and spices from foreign lands being sold by all kinds of denizens, the scents were enough to make his mouth water. The fact that he had yet to eat that morning may have had something to do with that, he had to admit.

“Apples here, get yer apples here, fresh plucked from Sweet Apple Acres down in the valley. Homegrown and darn tootin’est the best apples ya could ever have the pleasure ta taste,” a green mare with a friendly, freckled face and a robust voice called out to him, holding up a bright, red apple.

Novell had to admit it did seem to be the ‘darn tootin’est’ apple he had ever seen, but he shook his head with a polite smile. She winked at him before shouting back into the market place with her homely accent, not deterred by his rejection in the slightest and blending in with the rest of the storekeepers hawking their wares.

As they walked, Novell felt himself grow more and more light hearted, the pleasant feeling of the sun on his coat and the general good cheer in the air even this deep into the winter. More than a few of the ponies they passed and saw had boots, saddles, and scarves on them while pegasi of all colors hovered overhead with various message bags trailing their flying forms.

Decorations littered the stores and houses that rested along the street, festive and somehow regal at the same time in preparation for the Heart’s Warming Festival in Canterlot. Brightly colored lights streams from the roofs and around gigantic candy canes already submerged in a light frosting of snow.

A few ponies they passed were working on creating an entire ice sculpture of a giant heart, standing on ladders and chiseling away at the frozen art peace by piece. He paused for a second to watch their hooves and horns gently hold the chisels, working together to release the art inside of what had been nothing but a huge block of ice.

“Impressive, isn’t it lad? I admit I’ve become used to such sights during my time in Canterlot, but it’s always nice to see the amazement on a pony’s face when he sees it the first time,” Professor Search said.

Novell stared at it for a moment more, longing to be part of the project. He could see the heart exactly as it should be and winced when one of the workers accidentally dug too deep into the ice. Luckily, it was nothing more than a minor imperfection, but it was still there. How can’t they see how much force they were supposed to use? It’s so obvious.

With a sigh, he continued on, the light chinking sound of their chisels striking the ice like bells in the air.

“Ugh, it’s so cold,” Quills complained suddenly, the first of such that day.

“You have a saddle, at least. I just have this scarf,” her twin replied in a wounded tone of voice. “Besides, we’re almost to the library.”

The filly snorted. “All this Hearth’s Warming Eve stuff is making me colder! I’m already outside when it’s just above freezing. I don’t need to be reminded that the snow is coming later tonight.”

Scrolls just grinned at her. “‘Hearth’s Warming’ makes you cold?”

“Yes, the irony isn’t lost on me, you oaf,” she replied with a growl. “Can we stop talking about it?”

The fire of friendship lives in our hearts. As long as it burns we cannot drift apart,” a few carollers started to sing as they entered a circular plaza with a frozen fountain in the middle.

Quills groaned. “You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few

Laughter and singing will see us through (will see us through)

We are a circle of pony friends.”

“So many friends.” The filly’s eye twitched.

A circle of friends we'll be to the very end,” the ponies finished in tune, giggling warmly after they recited their verses.

A few of the passersby who had stopped during the middle of the song were stomping the ground in applause, Novell among them. He heard Quills sigh and reluctantly stomp along with the rest of them, the Professor chortling as Scrolls started to sweet talk one of the younger mares in the audience.

After a few minutes, the weight of their burden returned, though Novell’s nervousness was all but gone. With his friends beside him, he was confident that everything would turn out better than he had imagined that morning. Even if he was banished, at least the Princesses would make sure that all of the happiness and love being shared in this city would continue to grow. At least his friends would be safe.

Eventually the crowds grew thinner as they reached the royal quarter of the city, more tophats and monocles in evidence the further the party trotted. As they went, Novell watched his companions change from their normal pace and poise, falling into a stiffer and more regal mode of walking. He caught himself doing the same thing unconsciously, chuckling ruefully as he regained his normal walk.

“You find something amusing, Novell?” Quills asked, her nose tilted up just enough to make her appear imperious.

“It’s just I noticed everypony started walking differently when we came to this part of Canterlot,” the pegasus explained with a smile. “You’re carrying yourself differently, almost like these other ponies we’ve been passing.”

Scrolls looked down at his body with surprise. “You know, you’re completely right. I never even noticed that, myself.”

The Professor decided to weigh in at that. “Ah, yes. It’s peer pressure, in a way. As you start to see everypony carry themselves differently, your brain feels as if you have to do the same. Quite a fascinating bit if psychology, even if it’s never been my particular forte. A nice observation, lad.”

“I just notice things,” Novell replied, waving it off with a hoof. “When you don’t have friends, you think about a lot of different ideas, like ‘how would I make that better’ or ‘the way they do that is interesting’. It kept me busy.”

Professor Search stared at him thoughtfully for a moment as they walked. “You know, I don’t believe that has anything to do with you having no friends, my boy. After all, you’ve always been that way, have you not?”

The pegasus thought back and shrugged. He didn’t understand why it was important. “I guess so.”

“Interesting,” the Professor replied with a nod. “Oh, my, we’re here already. That was quick.”

Novell glanced up at the building they were standing in front of, massive columns of twisting, white marble holding up a triangular sculpture of books stacked as if they were on a shelf. Below the well-worn art was the phrase ‘Learning is Magic - The Canterlot Royal Library’.

“I always look at that sign and I think to myself ‘is everything magic’? I mean, friendship is magic, learning is magic - what about ponies. Are we magi- ow!”

Quills slapped Scrolls over the head with a hoof. “Quiet, you. I’ve heard you say this like a bazillion times.”

“They haven’t!” her twin objected as he rubbed the back of his head. “Besides, what if-.”

The colt shut his mouth with an audible click at the glare his sister gave him. Novell brought a hoof to his muzzle, trying to hold back a chuckle. The Professor held no such compunctions and chortled heartily.

“Ah, younglings. I miss being your age. Now, let’s go in before you two start a snowball fight. As much fun as that would be, we do have a schedule to keep.”

“Yes, Professor,” the twins said in unison as they walked forward toward the library.

Suddenly, Quills froze in her tracks. “Don’t do that.”

Scrolls stopped and looked over his shoulder in confusion. “What do you mean? I didn’t do anything.”

“Not you,” she replied, her head drooping down. “Him.”

“What?” Novell put in, totally lost.

Quills turned around finally, tears in her eyes, and pointed at the Professor. “You. Don’t say anything else while we’re here.”

“Quills, don’t be unrea-,” her brother started.

“I’m not being unreasonable! The Professor, our professor, is gone and I don’t want to be reminded of him,” she ground out between clenched teeth.

Now it was Scrolls’ turn to be angry. “Professor Mark is not gone. We’re going to find him, Quills, and you can’t take this out on Professor Search. It’s not his fault that our professor is missing!”

“But he sounds just like him! And I don’t blame Research,” she replied heatedly, swiping a pile of snow off the concrete path leading to the library with fervor. “Professor Mark left us. He left us alone in a cell, Scrolls. I don’t care about him and I don’t want to be reminded of another pony like him ever again!”

“Do we sense discord between ponies in this place of learning?” said someone behind Novell in a strange, familiar accent. His eyes opened wide as he realized who it belonged to, his assumptions and fears justified as he whipped around and stared into the startling blue eyes of Princess Luna.

“P-p-princess!” the Professor stammered out, bowing low beside Novell. A second later, he followed his friend’s example, closing his eyes as his heart quickened. This was who he was here for, the reason he had come to Canterlot. The pegasus’ pulse pounded in his ears and sweat began beading on his forehead.

“I apologize, Princess,” Quills said demurely from behind Novell. He didn’t turn to look, frozen by the sight of Luna’s silver-clad hooves. “I was...overcome.”

The hooves shifted slightly. “There is no need to be wroth, Quills Parchment. Especially with your brother-twin. Now, what ails you this day?”

“Our Professor was ponynapped, m’lady,” Scrolls spoke up. “I-, we- there are some things you should know, Princess.”

“It has do with a being named Havoc,” Professor Search said gravely.

A sudden intake of breath was all Novell heard, but he was still frozen. “Where didst thou hear that name?”

Novell closed his eyes and gulped. This was it. He had to tell her - now. With a deep, steadying breath, the pegasus rose from his bow and stared forlornly into the Princess’ eyes. Those lustrous blue orbs stared back at him with the deepness of the night sky, comforting and calculating at once.

“I know that name,” he started in a whisper, “because I’m the pony who freed him.”

The Princess went rigid. “What didst thou say?”

Novell shied away from her gaze, wishing he could just shrink and be carried away by the breeze. “Havoc is somewhere in Equestria and it’s my fault.”

“We-,” Princess Luna started before becoming more hesitant. “I see.”

“I am as responsible for Havoc’s freedom, Princess Luna,” Professor Search’s weary voice issued from Novell’s left. His gaze shifted to the old unicorn’s muzzle, wrinkles that hadn’t been there before suddenly appearing. “I brought this young pegasus to the mountain in which he was imprisoned.”

Silence descended on the group of ponies aside from their breathing and the mournful sound of the wind. The pegasus was frozen again, his heart thundering in his breast as time seemed to slow. He stared at the cement beneath his hooves, noticing a crack in the corner just as something white drifted in front of his eyes.

Snow, he thought, just as another flake whipped by the breeze joined the first. The temperature was falling even as they stood there in the small garden before the library. Finally, the Princess spoke, her words a knell that tolled within his mind.

“Come with us.”

Novell looked up and once more found himself transfixed by those eyes of hers, cold and as intense as her tone. She walked past him, the sound of her silver shod hooves clicking across the ground and her mane rippling through the air like a curtain of stars.

“Off we go, eh?” Professor Search said with a forced grin, gently bumping the younger pony. He looked up and nodded, meeting with the twins’ eyes individually. They stared back at him with silent support, falling into step behind him and the Professor as they followed the Princess inside the library.

Despite the situation, the warm glow he experienced around his friends intensified.

*****

The door to the library closed with a solid thunk, the wailing wind instantly cutting off in favor of the quiet and peacefulness that only a room full of knowledge could provide. In spite of himself, the pegasus surreptitiously glanced around the library in awe, rows and rows of bookcases extending as far back as he could see. The red, gold embroidered carpet he strode on took up the center of the aisle they were walking on, splitting into two at a desk and continuing toward the back of the building in two more aisles.

As they came to the desk, the Princess stopped. “Quills, Scrolls. You both may resume your duties as the caretakers of the library.”

“We would, uh, rather stay with Novell, if that’s okay, Princess,” Scrolls spoke up in an unsure voice.

Another pause, followed by a warmness in Luna’s voice. “Very well. Your commitment to your friend is admirable and compelling. Follow as you please.”

“Thank you, Princess,” uttered Quills with appropriate humility in her voice.

“Come,” she responded simply, continuing to the left path.

As they passed the desk, Novell sent a grateful glance back at the twins. Scrolls flashed him a smile in return, while Quills just scowled at him. Even with her outward display, Novell knew that she was worried, but was willing to go along with her brother’s decision. The pegasus idly wondered if she was as dominant over her twin as she seemed.

His attention was quickly diverted as they came out from beneath the ceiling that had been hanging over them. He exhaled in quiet relief, instantly inhaling as he looked up into the library proper. The ceiling he had seen was nothing but a second floor to the massive building, his eyes almost falling out of their sockets as he stared at the golden railing that circled the gigantic openness that covered what he imagined was the center of the library.

He glanced to the left, his eyes naturally following the ovoid shape of the atrium, which swung back around and continued to his right an almost equidistant from his location. Massive glass windows made up the ceiling, interspersed with an actual rooftop painted with an otherworldly beauty of days gone by.

Gilded columns rose from his the ground, reaching up to support the massive roof, inlaid with gold and silver and designed hoof-chiseled centuries ago. As he stared out at the sheer size of the library, he noticed other ponies inhabited the place. Pegasi flew from the first floor to the second and across the atrium carrying books and empty carts while unicorns and earth ponies trotted around with their own stacks of tomes.

“This place is huge,” Novell gasped, unable to believe so many books existed in the whole world, let alone in this one library.

“Well, it is the Royal Library,” Quills whispered sarcastically. “It holds every book ever made or so they say. Princess Celestia cared about knowledge too much to ever let anything go to waste and Princess Luna was just as consumed by the need of a repository for all books everywhere.”

“Just so, young Quills,” the Princess replied in her accent as she continued toward the back of the library. “Though our sister was more concerned with the ideas of ponies, it was our- my idea to include that of the other races that inhabit this world. Even those whose ideals might not necessarily mesh with ours. After all, knowledge is knowledge, regardless of its source.”

The pegasus skipped a step and almost tripped on his face. “And you’ve read all of this already, Quills?”

She looked at him and rolled her eyes. “Of course not, that’s impossible at my age. I’ve only read a quarter of all the books in here. But I do know every title, thanks to an invention by a griffin. It’s this monocle that lists the name of every book in a stack if you just look at it and since I have perfect memory, I know the title and location of every single one!”

“How does that work?”

“The monocle? I dunno. Ask the griffin who made it, Valyn Pinfeather.” Quills snorted. “That’s kind of a silly name, if you ask me.”

The party fell silent after that, though the Princess stopped to greet any pony who walked by in her formal turn of speech. Novell could tell some of the ponies were unnerved by Luna’s manner, but he didn’t exactly blame them for it. After all, it was jarring to hear somepony talk to you like they came out of the ages when knights and their squireponies existed.

Eventually, they left the large atrium-like space, the oppressive ceiling returning along with Novell’s discomfort. As they walked further into the back of the library, the path they had been following split into four more aisles. Luna walked steadily ahead, purposefully marching down the rightmost path that ended in a bare wall between two shelves of books. He heard a gasp from behind him that was quickly cut off and he looked backward to investigate.

Quills was staring at her brother in confusion, who seemed to be the source of the sudden inhalation. The earth pony gulped and looked away from both of them, keeping his mouth firmly shut. Before he could figure out what was going on, the pegasus bumped into the Professor, who had somehow gotten in front of him.

“Scrolls,” Princess Luna said. “Thou mayest perform the necessary arrangements.”

“Arrangements?” Quills asked suspiciously.

Her brother managed to look guilty as he shuffled forward passed the party to the bare wall they had stopped in front of. “Ah, yes. Yes, Princess.”

Without another word, Scrolls strode up to the bookcase near the wall and leaned his forehooves against the shelf, grabbing one of the books with his muzzle and pulling it out an inch.

The sound of something heavy sliding from overhead caused Novell to flutter his wings nervously. He glanced up, instantly noticing the tell-tale line in the seemingly seamless ceiling and wondered with a shiver exactly what Scrolls had just disarmed. A trap, for sure, but what kind?

A second later, a scraping noise came from in front of him, drawing his attention to the wall just as it began to raise upward. Scrolls stood by the wall, awkwardly trying to keep his eyes away from his sister’s glare.

“Thank you, young pony,” Princess Luna said, stepping into the wall without another word. Scrolls darted in after her, quickly followed by Quills. Novell winced as he imagined the words the filly had for her bother, already knowing that the colt had been keeping this secret from her.

With a shared glace, he and the Professor walked through the threshold, the hidden door shutting slowly behind them. To Novell, it felt like he was entering his own tomb, but he quickly shook that thought away. The Princesses wouldn’t do something like lock ponies away. Would they?

As soon as the door shut completely and the light from the library proper disappeared, a glow came from Luna’s horn that filled the small room they found themselves in. The walls on all sides were covered in books - even the entrance was part of a bookshelf almost indistinguishable from the rest of the shelves. With a quick glance upward, he noticed a bulge that covered all but four small corners of the ceiling. Novell’s wings fluttered involuntarily at being stuck in the cramped space, but he ignored the urge to panic and returned his gaze to the Princess.

Selene,” Luna spoke and instantly the ceiling sparked to life, filling the chamber with a soft, pale glow. They all looked up to see the moon shining down at them, its shape filling the entirety of the bulge, eerie and comforting all at once. “Now we may speak without being overheard. Recount how Havoc has been released from his prison, pegasus, for what thou hast done bodes ill for Equestria.”

Even with his throat dry from both guilt and his fears of what the Princess would do, Novell told her. He told her how he found the Professor on the side of a mountain, how he had rescued the unicorn from a Yeti. How that same Yeti had found them soon after they had met up with Pensive Coalescence. From there, with only a few mentions of Whisper up to that point, he told Luna how Havoc had taken control of Pensive and forced him to almost kill the mare.

His voice cracked as he remembered that moment, but he continued on regardless. With every word, his heart felt lighter, as if confessing was cleansing him of the guilt and depression that had clouded the edges of his mind. Havoc’s deal interested the Princess the most, though she allowed him to keep going after a few questions. Finally, he told her how he had allowed the draconequus to escape.

“I didn’t want to die,” he admitted hoarsely. “I wanted to find out who I was, even more than I wanted to save my friends. I didn’t want to die, so I let him go to save myself. Free will of a pony was the required key to unlock his prison and I willingly turned it for my own future. He offered me power after that, the ability to become a god like him.” His head fell until he was staring at Luna’s hooves. “I almost said yes before he left.”

“But you didn’t!” Scrolls interjected before anyone else could speak. “You kept quiet! You saved the Professor and Pensive!”

Novell allowed himself to look into his friends’ eyes just as Quills spoke up. “My dumb brother is right for once. You didn’t accept his promise like our Professor did,” she said disgustedly.

“That’s not fair, Quills!” her brother objected heatedly. “Professor Mark had to have a good reaso-.”

“Enough, our little ponies,” Princess Luna said quietly, all eyes turning to her and silence reigning. “Regardless of thy feelings, Havoc has escaped and we need to return him to his prison before he regains his powers.”

“Pensive said Havoc would rest for a few days before doing anything. Today should be the first day he shows himself,” Novell offered.

The Princess nodded. “Yes, there have been isolated incidents around the world that have come to our attention and that of our sister’s, most notably the griffin kingdoms. We- I have dispatched envoys to investigate these places. Celestia wishes to use the Elements of Harmony should anypony find evidence of Havoc’s presence.”

Professor Search sighed with relief. “The Elements are being brought into play? Then we should be safe, should we not? After all, there is no greater power in Equestria, aside from yourself, m’lady.”

“We disagree with our sister’s assessment,” Princess Luna said with steel in her voice. “The Elements are needed here, to safeguard Equestria. Should Havoc release Discord, we will need our strongest shield against their evil, for though one is enough to cause war, both would mean the return of the time before our rule. This cannot be so.”

“But if the Elements can’t be used against Havoc, who is going to stop him?” Novell asked with dread creeping down his spine.

“For now, Havoc is weak,” the Princess said, stomping the ground with one hoof in emphasis. “We can still recapture him, if we- I have to do it myself. Our royal guards and magi shall be enough to return him to his prison.”

Novell sighed in relief. If the Princesses themselves got involved, everything would be solved quickly. At least his efforts to warn them hadn’t been in vain. There was only one more thing to discuss.

“What of me, Princess?” the pegasus asked, his chest hollow and numb.

“Nothing. Thee and thy friends are free to leave,” she replied simply.

Novell was incredulous. “But I released Havoc! You’re not going to punish me for that?”

The Princess cocked her head. “Thou wishest a punishment for being controlled, when we were forgiven for our crimes as Nightmare Moon? We are the least able to mete out any punishment. Thou art free to go, young Novell.”

“There has to be something I can do,” the pegasus started, off balance by this twist in events. “It’s my fault he’s out...”

“Hmm.” Luna stared at him for a moment before nodding to herself. “Very well. Thou shalt help Quills and Scrolls find their Professor. Perhaps thou- you will find information on Havoc in thy endeavor. Should any be found, report it to-.”

“I made a promise,” Novell interrupted, causing the Professor and the twins to look at him in horror. “I made a promise that I would stop Havoc. I can’t just break that promise and not help. Let me find him and help you stop him.”

Princess Luna stared at him with an unnervingly calm face and this time he returned her gaze. He wasn’t going to back down now. With a start, he realized he wasn’t ever going to stop, regardless of whatever punishment the Princesses would levy.

“A promise...,” Luna trailed off, staring at him. “I see. I do see.” She turned toward the twins. “Quills, Scrolls, thou mayest use the Southern Belle to find thy Professor and help this young pegasus find Havoc.”

“The Belle?” both of them gasped in unison.

Luna ignored them, instead staring at the unicorn. “Professor Ronaldo Eduardo Search, I trust thou will find chaperoning these young ponies on their quest to be an appropriate punishment for thy hoof in all of this?”

“Yes, m’lady,” the Professor replied with a smile beneath his mustache, bowing deeply.

“And as for thee, young Novell Light,” Princess Luna pronounced regally, surprising him with knowledge of his last name. “Thou shalt find Havoc and report any of thy findings to one of our embassies stationed around the world. We would ask that thou dost not engage nor consort with this draconequus in any way, but let our trained Equestrian forces handle it. Is this acceptable to thee?”

“I...yes, Princess,” Novell nodded several times. “Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you.”

The look on her face softened then. “Such earnestness. No wonder one of our moonstones found its way to thee.” She nodded as he blinked in surprise. “Yes, we do know of its fate and we support the decision that was made. One more thing before we leave. There are three fillies in Ponyville who might be interested in thy story. Tell them of thy trials before thou leavest on thy journey. Thou- You will find them at the ‘Carousal Boutique’. Now, we must return to our duties. Scrolls, thou may show them out as it pleases thou. The Belle shall be ready for thy departure as soon as thou wish to leave. Farewell, to all of you, and good luck.”

With a flash of blue, the alicorn disappeared. Novell half expected the room to descend back into darkness, but after a few beats of his heart, the moon remained above them as silent and majestic as the real thing. He sighed and fell to his haunches, tired beyond words after everything. Not only had he not been punished, he had been given the opportunity to do good for Equestria and repent for his wrongdoings. It was more than he could hope for. Still, her last request confused him - even so, he’d do as she asked.

“Wow,” Scrolls said into the silence. “I’ve never seen anyone interrupt the Princess like that. It was-,”

“-kind of brave,” Quills continued with a smile he hadn’t seen from her, well, ever. A second later, she scowled. “But it was also stupid. You don’t interrupt the Princess if you want to keep being a pony. I heard, back when she last ruled Equestria, she turned ponies into frogs for stuff like that.”

Novell laughed at her words, feeling like a weight was lifted off of his shoulders. “Maybe my cutie mark has something to do with defying the odds, then.”

The twins shared a glance and arched their eyebrows before returning their gazes to him and shaking their heads. “Nope!”

“Well, before we go anywhere, I’d like to take a look at that book you mentioned yesterday, Scrolls,” Professor Search said.

Scrolls nodded, pointing one hoof at his sister. “Quills knows where it is.”

“So do you!”

“Well, yeah, but I figured after I totally overshadowed you by knowing about this room, you’d feel like being useful,” the colt responded sarcastically.

Quills growled at him. “That’s it, you’re getting pounded!”

The twins were just about to start fighting when the Professor prompted them with a cough. “Quills, if you please.”

With a glare at her brother, she responded grumpily. “Fine.”

A few minutes later, they were once more in the gigantic library, walking toward the middle of the building. A sense of longing dominated the feelings in the young pegasus more than anything else, staring out at the veritable sea of books all around him. His eyes glazed over as he imagined spending his days in this vast repository of the world’s words, but a quick prod from the Professor reminded him they still had a job to do.

Maybe after all this I can come back here and help Quills and Scrolls, he thought fondly, following the twins to one of the twisting stairwells that would take them up a floor. With a look at the steps, Novell opted instead to fly up to the second level, waiting patiently for the flightless ponies as they ascended. While he waited, he glanced curiously around at the plaques that adorned the side of every row of bookshelves.

This one says history, he thought and moved his glance over a few rows to the left, and that’s fiction. Oh, mare, I wish I could stay here.

As soon as the others joined him on the second floor, Quills set off toward the right, continuing past long rows of bookshelves and passing a few ponies who smiled and waved at the filly. Novell looked to his right to stare down into the atrium, spying a few tables in between the shelves in some places. There were even a few pillows arranged in a circle in one clearing, their scarlet color matching with the red carpet beneath them.

Their hooves clicked against the marble on the top floor as they went, their guide unerringly taking them into the maze of stacks of books, turning right, then left, then left again. The directions soon left Novell completely lost, but he was confident he could navigate the library. After all, he could just fly over the labyrinth if worst came to worst. Being a pegasus has its advantages, he thought with a small smile.

Presently, the filly came to a stop in front of a particular shelf, Novell snatching a quick look at the wooden paneling and noticing it said ‘Locks, Traps, and Prison Magic’ on the plaque this time. He shook his head in amazement at Quills’ accuracy, further impressed by her perfect recall.

“Well, there it is,” she pointed at a small sliver of a book, little more than a couple of pages thick tied with black and gold intertwined string. As the Professor levitated it out of its place, Novell noticed a strange symbol on the front cover, though it was bare of all else. With a quick flip of magic, Professor Search opened the book to the first page and began reading.

“Spell Capture and Design by Warden of the Stream. Caution: the spell found within this book is classified as high level magic and should not be used by either an inexperienced unicorn nor any other type of magical creature without the proper experience to handle such spells. In fact, it is best if the practitioner include friends or associates to help with the spell, as a single unicorn is hardly enough power to inscribe the runes.”

Novell arched an eyebrow at the Professor as he paused, but said nothing, allowing the unicorn to continue. “Furthermore, should any magical creature use this spell upon another pony, the runes will not work, nor will it work on any kind of magical creature aside from specific forms of chaos that shall not be mentioned here. The key to finding which form of chaos are susceptible to this spell can be found within the enclosed letter, which is spell-locked to a certain unicorn who shall not be mentioned here.”

“That’s all there is to it, aside from some diagrams and runes which I assume are part of the capture system,” Quills said after Professor Search had finished. “Of course, there’s also the letter, which is under the last page in the small pocket.”

Professor Search quickly paged to the end of the book, a subtly glowing parcel sticking out of a pocket in the center of the back cover. “Interesting. I’ve seen spell-locked messages before, but this one seems older than any I’ve encountered. Perhaps centuries old, at the least. I wonder which unicorn is was keyed to, back then. Starswirl? Clover? Hmm...”

Novell stepped closer to look at the magical message - that strange pulling sensation in his chest was happening again. “Is there anyway to open it if it’s keyed to somepony else?”

“There are a few tricks I’ve picked up in some old scriptures back when I was researching magical communication,” the Professor muttered distractedly, pulling the parcel from its pocket and floating it in front of his face. “I could try tho-.”

The unicorn’s words were interrupted by a flash of light and a sickeningly disoriented feeling as though he were being shaken and spun around all at once. Cold assailed his body, followed by heat and then a mixture of the two that left him feeling half frozen and half burnt to a crisp. Just as soon as he tried to rationalize what was happening to him, he felt like he was being stretched and then snapped back into realism like a rubber band. And then he began falling.

Panic seized the pegasus as the wind rushed past his ears, his wings instantly flapping to right himself. Thankfully he managed to do so, but unfortunately he was already to close to the ground to stop his ascent the easy way. Instead, the ground did that for him, rattling his brain as he hit the ground.

He lay there, stunned, staring up into a bright blue sky and a green forest surrounding the small clearing. For a few seconds, he couldn’t breath, spots dancing in his vision as he tried to pull in a breath. The sun blurred his vision as a passing cloud moved away, frantically managing to get his heaving diaphragm under control.

“Professor!” he called out, once he was recovered enough to. Wincing, the pegasus rolled to his knees and looked around, still unsteady. For a second, he saw nothing but the forest around him and worry began to crowd the edges of his thoughts. Then one of the trees wiggled, leaves thrashing against one another as something heavy moved through the branches. A flash of grey caught his eye before the unicorn fell out of the tree like he had been spit out.

Leaves followed him, lazily coming to rest on the groaning pony. The Professor’s glasses were askew on his snout but undamaged otherwise. Novell picked himself up and walked unsteadily over, checking to see if his friend was alright.

“Oh, my everything,” Professor Search grumped as he took the hoof the pegasus offered him. “That was quite a teleportation spell. Old one, too.”

Novell furrowed his brow as the unicorn dusted himself off with one hoof. “Why did we fall out of the sky? And where are the twins?”

“As I said, it was an old spell. Leylines have moved since the location was specified, so it was off by a few meters. Up, as it happens,” the Professor explained before glancing around. “As for the twins, I believe they were far enough away from us to not be caught in the spell. The real question, however, is where did this teleportation take us?”

“Don’t you have your compass magic?” he asked, hoping the twins really were okay.

Search nodded. “Indeed, good point, my lad. I must still be shaken up from my rather...ungraceful landing. You know, this reminds me of a time when-,”

“Later, Professor, please,” Novell begged, not in the mood for another story right now. “Let’s find out where we are before something finds us.”

The unicorn harrumphed at the pegasus’ interruption, but complied all the same. His horn began glowing as he turned around in place with his eyes closed. Novell ruffled his wings nervously as he looked around, keeping watch on their small clearing. Why would the spell bring them here? There was something about a key, he remembered, to identify chaos that the capture system would work on.

“Ah, here we go!” The Professor’s voice drew his attention away from his thoughts. “We’re in a forest near Ponyville.”

Novell’s heart went cold. “The Everfree?”

The unicorn shook his head. “No, no, another one nearby. Whitetail Wood, I believe. We’re too far east to be in the Everfree.”

The pegasus sighed in relief. “Okay, that’s okay. Nothing dangerous in the Whitetail, right?”

“Well...,” the Professor trailed off and looked away from Novell to stare at something behind him. “I, ah, wouldn’t say that.”

Novell felt like crying, then. “There’s something behind me, isn’t there?”

“Something, yes. Ah, I, ah, wouldn’t move if I were you, my boy,” Professor Search said hesitantly, still staring behind him with a carefully blank expression. Novell could hear heavy breathing in his ear now, along with a faint sulfurous odor.

“Boo!” a sibilant hiss said into his ear, causing Novell to squeak in fright. He stayed where he was as a strange hissing sound came from the source of his terror, gulping and managing to glance backward.

Sitting there with a claw held to one eye was a tall, golden dragon with scales that glittered like the ocean at sunset, laughing at him. A second later, a snort from in front of him brought his attention back to the Professor, who was holding both front hooves to his mouth in order to stop the laughter from bubbling out.

Novell glared at the unicorn, knowing he’d been tricked when both the dragon and his friend began guffawing loudly. “Oh, I see how it is, Professor. That was...I was so...”

“Sssssearch,” the dragon’s voice said between bubbles of hissing laughter, “it issss good to sssssee you again. I have misssssed your jokessss.”

The Professor chuckled for a few more seconds before it subsided to a smile. “And you, Slyth. It’s been far too long. But why are you out here in the Whitetail? I thought your nest was near the griffon kingdoms?”

“You remember well my placccccesssss, Ssssssearch,” Slyth responded with a flick of his forked tongue. “But I am here assssss a messssssanger. It wassssss a command of my ssssscalessss and my blood to come here. Imagine my ssssssurprissssse when I find none other than you and this pegassssussss.” The dragon paused, swiping its tail through the air to thump the ground. “It issss thanksssss to the Warden of the Ssssstream I am here.”

Novell’s curiosity overcame his embarrassment. “The Warden? You know him?”

The hissing came again as the dragon thumped his tail again in what the pegasus now knew was a variation of a chuckle. “You are assssss funny assssss Sssssearch, young pegassssussss. No, I do not know the Warden, but her command isssss to be heeded.”

“The Warden is a she?”

“Isssss that what I sssssaid? Forgive me, I do not know,” Slyth said as he scratched the bony ridge just above his eyes with one claw. “I musssst be gone sssssoon, as Ccccccelesssstia granted me leave only for a few daysssss in this Equessssstria. It issss a tempting place to sssssssleep, I mussssssst admit, sssssso I will heed the Sun Princesssssessssss’ command. The key isssss thussssss: The Warden of the Sssssstream.”

“The key is the Warden? But if you don’t know this Warden, how do you know it is the key? And how do we find the Warden anyway?” Professor Search asked his draconic friend.

The dragon thumped its tail again and rustled its wings like the sound of paper rasping against itself. “I do not know, but it issssss funny to sssssssee your confusssssion. Find the Warden - that isssss my messsssssage and sssssso my tassssssk complete. Until we ssssssspeak again, may all your treassssssuresssss sssssshine.”

With that, Slyth opened his wings to their fullest and leaped into the air, his tail narrowly missing the two ponies as it sliced through the space between them. With his hissing laugh, the dragon flew off in what Novell guessed was a northwestern direction. A moment later, not even a speck was left of the Professor's strange friend.

“Well, that was weird,” the pegasus said. “Why could the note just have said ‘find me’ instead of transporting us all the way out here?”

“It could be that this Warden is showing us how much power he or she wields, to be able to direct a dragon to a specific spot at the exact time we would arrive here,” the Professor offered. “If so, I must admit I’m impressed.”

Novell thought that over, squinting at the sun overhead to track its progress. “I don’t like magic, but I guess we should get moving and not worry about it for now. How far is Ponyville?”

“No more than an hour away, actually, if I’m any judge. Though you could fly up and take a look,” his friend pointed out.

Conceding the point, the pegasus opened his wings and leaped into the air like Slyth had done moments before. He quickly ascended, the bank of trees in front of him cutting off close by and the beginnings of Ponyville visible as he found a cloud to perch on. Alone for the first time in the last week, Novell thought over his journey. There were a few things he had noticed when he’d told his story to the Princess that he hadn’t when they were happening, but he felt something niggling at the back of his mind, like there was one more piece to the puzzle.

“Hmm,” he sighed aloud and peeked over the edge of the cloud to see his friend far below. “I guess we better head to Ponyville. Hopefully Whisper and Pensive were there and they could meet up with the twins back in Canterlot.”

And then? he asked himself, staring back out across the horizon, toward the northwest. Princess Luna had said the griffin kingdoms were experiencing some kind of trouble. Maybe Havoc would be there.

Only one way to find out, I guess, the pegasus thought, allowing himself to drop off the cloud and rejoin the Professor. Just one more thing to do.