• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 12,826 Views, 749 Comments

What We Lose - Subsolar Drift



What happens after a horrible accident puts Twilight Sparkle into a deep coma?

  • ...
41
 749
 12,826

Chapter 8

Twi mumbled something in her sleep as she shifted to a more comfortable position. Seeing my wife asleep peacefully yet not deathly still as she had been for all those months, it made me smile. I moved to her side, and took hold of her hoof in mine, reveling in the moment.

"My poor little pony." Celestia rested her wing over my shoulder. "I know it is difficult, but for her sake you must persevere. Hopefully we’ll soon know the extent of her condition." I leaned up against her as my legs started to lose their strength. She pulled me into a hug and I tried not to cry

Finally I managed to choke out, "Thank you. You don't know how much it means to me that you came.” I paused and looked at Twi. “How much it would've meant to her." We stood there for some time, me trying to make some sense of my jumbled emotions, Celestia comforting me with a wing and her presence.

"It's funny,” I chuckled. “This might’ve been the first time she didn't freak out about you being here." She joined in with my laughter, both looking back fondly on her eccentricities. I sighed as memories flicked through my head. All the times I had to calm and reassure her, all the times she had to calm and reassure me, and all the times we laughed it off afterwards.

"She should be deep enough in her sleep now.” Celestia said some time later. Reluctantly I left her side. “I'm not sure how long this will take, but it will most likely be some time." She continued. I nodded, and backed away from the alicorn so she could do her magic.

Celestia’s eyes closed and her horn began to glow the color of the sun on a bright summer's day. The already quiet room fell silent. Nothing made any noise. A tension stood in the air and it only grew as the glow increased. I could feel the power of the world flowing into her. I backed away further, bringing up a hoof to shield my eyes from the harsh light that emanated from her. I shut my eyes desperately trying to save my vision, but even with my eyelids closed it wasn’t any darker. There was one final bright flash, and the light was gone.

It took several minutes for my eyes to adjust to the dark room. Everything was still and Celestia was gone. I was alone with Twi once more. With a sigh, I moved over to her side. I brushed aside a bang that was covering her face, and held her hoof in mine, and I waited.

~~~

Celestia's sun made way for Luna's moon in the sky, and there I stayed.Spike brought me in dinner, but I didn’t touch my food. Nothing would move me from Twi’s side. I didn’t notice the hours passing, only focused on the mare before me. I took every twitch, smile, and mumble and committed it to memory. I could almost pretend like everything was alright.

I knew it wasn’t smart, that it would probably hurt me more in the long run, but with every second that passed I just found myself more and more caught up in my fantasy. I couldn’t help myself, a tear fell from my eye as I leaned down and kissed her forehead. She smiled as she slept, and for that one moment I forgot about everything else. There was only her smile, her face, and her hoof in mine. Everything was perfect.

A small glow began to shine from her horn. Startled I took a step back, and watched as the glow got brighter and brighter. I turned my head away to block out the light, and tried to compose myself. Celestia had finished.

When I could see again, I turned around expecting to see Celestia standing there watching me, instead what I found was the ruler of Equestria lying in a heap on the ground. I went quickly to her side kneeling down next to her.

“Celestia! Are you alright?” She moved slowly, raising her head to look at me.

“Yes, although I am very drained. With some rest I should be fine.” I helped her to her hooves, debating whether to ask her about Twi. As if sensing my question, she continued, “I need to sleep, we can talk about Twilight tomorrow. Don’t worry, she will be asleep for a long while yet. The sleep spell I cast on her was extremely powerful.”

We made our way out of the room and into the hall. Celestia trembled with exhaustion her legs barely able to hold her up. I helped her to the guest bedroom and she collapsed onto the bed. In moments she was asleep.

I left the room and closed the door behind me. Knowing I wouldn’t be able to sleep much that night, I made my way through the upstairs hallway, and down the stairs. I walked through the shelves on the second floor, making my way towards the back. I’d walked this path many times when I couldn’t sleep. It was the only way I ever got any rest.

The library was very old, and was much bigger on the inside than people expected it to be. There were many cozy corners and alcoves that provided privacy. Few people knew where they all were.

What seemed like forever ago I had come to the library often and read adventure books like no other. I would stay in the library for hours on end. I had one nook where I loved to read more than any other. It was removed from everywhere else and was quiet, but not silent. There was a window that looked out and away from town from which you could see all the way to the Everfree Forest. It was perfect for me and I spent all of my time there.

But that alcove wasn’t important for that alone. Twilight would often come read with me there to get away from all of the stress in the rest of the library, whether that was Spike, the Cutie Mark Crusaders Librarians, or anything else. We grew into best friends in that nook, and that is where I first kissed her.

I curled up in the familiar corner and gazed out the window at the stars above and thought of how we had laid here and she had told me the stories of the constellations. I traced them with my eyes now wet with tears. I found the carving I had made, our initials in a heart, and traced my hoof over it. Eventually, a dreamless sleep overcame me.

~~~

The first rays of sunshine woke me up from my sleep. I hadn’t slept well, restless for most of the night, but I was glad for what little sleep I had gotten. Yawning, I touched my hoof once more to the carving, then got up and made my way out of the library and back upstairs to the bedrooms.

I opened the door to Twi’s room to check on her. There she laid, still fast asleep like Celestia said she’d be. I moved to her side, bent down and gently kissed her cheek. “I just want you to know that I love ya Twi. Always have, always will.” With that, I left the room closing the door behind me.

I knocked on the door to the guest room, and the door opened. I was met by a smiling Celestia, who was looking much better. “Rainbow Dash!” she beamed. “You’re up early.”

“Ya, it’s a force of habit.” I replied with a laugh. “Some things from being head weatherpony seem to stick.” She had an odd expression on her face for a moment, but she shook her head and the smile returned. “I’m actually surprised to see you up. After how weak you were last night, I thought you’d be asleep for most of today for sure.”

“One of the many benefits of being an alicorn is faster healing.” I nodded. “Had I not been an alicorn, it might’ve taken me weeks to recover.”

“Weeks!?” That made her smile. Before that moment, I had never quite realized how powerful Celestia was. My stomach sank as a thought crossed my mind. If Celestia was that powerful, she might be the only one who could help Twi, and if she couldn’t, I wasn’t sure if Twilight would ever get her memories back.

I opened my mouth to ask her about Twi, but a large grumble interrupted me. We were both silent for a moment, but then another grumble followed, this time coming from my stomach. Celestia and I bursted out into peals of laughter.

“I believe that means food is the first thing on our schedule for today.” I reluctantly agreed, knowing that if Celestia delivered bad news to me, I’d be in no condition to eat. “So Rainbow Dash, where would you like to go for breakfast?”

I frowned at that, “Well if we go out we might not get any peace. Having the Princess in town isn't exactly an ordinary thing.”

The corners of her mouth rose in a small smile “Oh, just let me worry about that.” A glow of light surrounded her body and she was momentarily obscured from vision. It was nowhere near as bright as yesterday, but I still covered my eyes with a hoof. Moments later, blinking to clear the spots from my vision I was surprised by what laid before me.

A pegasus mare with light pink hair stood before my eyes looking carefully over her body. She was the slightly taller than me, and had a cutie mark of a sun shining over two clouds. She noticed me staring at her, dumbfounded.

“Oh Rainbow Dash!” she laughed. “You didn’t honestly think that I only go out in public in full regalia with a squadron of guards, did you?” I opened my mouth to reply, but no answer came. I had never really thought about it before, but it did make sense.

Seeing my reaction, she laughed again. “You can call me Sunny Skies.” We left the library, leaving a note for Spike telling him we were heading out, and made our way down the street.

“So, where are the best places to eat in Ponyville?” Princess Celestia asked as we walked. It was a lovely day out, the sun shining brightly just over the horizon, with barely any clouds in the sky. I made a mental note to walk by the weather office and let Cloudkicker know that she was doing a good job.

“Well, there’s always Sugarcube Corner, though it could be a little busy.” Quite a few ponies went there in the morning for a quick breakfast before work. I glanced over at Celestia, who was looking around the town with interest. “Can you wait a little for food?”

“I’ll be fine with a little wait. Besides it’ll be worth it if their food is as good as I’ve heard.” With that decided, we made our way towards the center of town. We chatted aimlessly as we waited, moving from one unimportant topic to another, carefully skirting around anything to do with Twi. I was surprised how easy it was to talk to her. I could almost forget that she was an all powerful immortal who could control the sun.

When we arrived at Sugarcube Corner, it was nearing the end of the morning rush. Most ponies had come and gone, already at or on their way to work. We entered and stood at the back of the small line. Celestia grew quiet as she looked over all the sweets in the display case, almost salivating at the delectables.

Her eyes stopped on one of the freshly baked cinnamon rolls, still hot from the oven and grew wide with desire. “Those are the best.” I whispered in her ear. She looked slightly embarrassed, but her smile returned when I laughed at her embarrassment.

Finally, we arrived at the counter to be met by an energetic Pinkie Pie. “Dashie!” She cried out excitedly. “It’s good to see you! I didn’t know if you’d be by today because of Twilight but it’s so good to see you!”

I forced a smile, even as memories of the previous day swelled up. Apparently I didn’t do a good enough job because she looked at me with a sympathetic smile and said. “Oh, Dashie I’m sorry. I should’ve thought more. You know me, I just get a little carried away sometimes.”

Thankful for my caring friend, I replied. “It’s no problem Pinkie. It’s good to know that you care.” We smiled at each other for a moment until she seemed to remember her job.

“So what can I get ya this morning!”

“Can I just get a cup of coffee and a cinnamon bagel?” I loved cinnamon, It always made me feel better when I had some.

“Sure! That’ll be four bits. You want that on your tab?” I nodded and Pinke quickly went into the kitchen and returned with a mug of hot coffee, just the way I liked it. I smiled and said my thanks and moved aside to let Celestia order.

I took a sip of my coffee but almost spit it out when I heard Pinkie say, “Oh, hi Sunny!”

Coughing slightly, I stared at Pinkie in confusion. “Pinkie, how do you know... Sunny?” Pinkie and Celestia shared a look, Celestia nodded and Pinkie turned back towards me.

“Well, I go up to Canterlot quite a lot! I get to go try out all the tasty new treats and inspect Mr. and Mrs. Cakes orders when they come in. It’s a whole bunch of fun and I get to meet tons of new ponies too! But my absolute favorite place to go is Pony Joe’s. His donuts are the best in the whole world! I know, I’ve tried them. There are the ones from Stalliongrad that are good, but the Prench ones were even better!” She drifted off for a moment caught up in what I assume was a donut daydream. “Anywho! Sunny here knows how good Pony Joe’s is too and we met there and talked and became friends. Now every time I head in to Canterlot we meet over donuts and coffee!”

Surprised by the reasonable explanation, I stood there, mouth slightly open. “So Sunny!” Pinkie began again, “What would you like!”

Celestia’s eyes flicked back towards the cinnamon roll in the display case as her stomach growled once more. “Well, on the suggestion of Rainbow Dash, I’ll have one of your cinnamon rolls and a cup of tea please.”

“It’ll be right out!” Pinkie bounced back into the kitchen and Celestia and I walked over to one of the few unoccupied tables, one closer to the back of the bakery.

We were both quiet while waiting for our food, I was feeling a little uneasy, my stomach not settling quite right. When Pinkie came out with our breakfast, Celestia dug in with gusto. Both of us were exhausted and drained from the previous night. Celestia seemed to be really enjoying her cinnamon roll, where as I could hardly manage a bite of my bagel. I settled for simply sipping my coffee.

Slowly, ponies left the shop to go about their various business until eventually it was just Celestia and I left. We stayed quiet, finishing our drinks then got up and left. The walk back to the library was uneventful, both of us choosing to stay quiet.

Spike was still asleep when we got back, so Celestia and I went back into the further sections of the library so that our voices wouldn’t disturb him.

We found a set of chairs near a window and sat down looking across at each other. Finally with a sigh I said. “Tell me everything.”

“If you wish.” She was quiet for a moment, collecting her thoughts. Finally she exhaled and began. “I went in looking for anything I could find of the old Twilight. Memories, feelings, something that would show me she was still there. I also kept an eye out for anything that might be causing her memory loss. I wasn’t happy with what I saw.” My body fell cold, scared about what would come next.

“Her doctor was right to some extent, he is quite a talented stallion. There is a problem in her mind. One of her leylines was disrupted. All the magic from that leyline couldn’t flow, and was stuck in that part of her mind. The magic began to seep into her mind and into everything around the leyline.” I was stunned. I couldn’t even form a complete thought.

“I can’t even say for sure how long the ley line had the problem. It could’ve been months. Most unicorns would’ve notice their magical output be less, but because my student has so much magic, she must never have noticed.” I thought back and tried to think whether or not she had said anything about weakened magic. I felt sick at the thought that I could’ve done something about her condition.

“The magic and the memory are so intertwined now, that the rest of her mind shut out that portion, because if something should activate that latent magic, it would destroy her mind and a whole lot more.” The more Celestia spoke the more my world seemed to fall apart. I wanted to tell her to stop, but I couldn’t find any words.

“There was something else odd about the magic however. I’ve seen disrupted ley lines before, but the magic was always equally spread across the mind. It seems that in my faithful student, the magic spread differently. It does cover much of her mind, but it is concentrated in one spot more than any other.” I wanted to tell her to stop and leave, but something else came out of my mouth.

“Where in her mind?” I was afraid of the answer. I really didn’t want to know.

She was quiet for a moment, then answered, “Her magic seems to have been drawn to you in her mind. Your love, your marriage, even much of your friendship is weaved in with the volatile magic.”

“H-how?” I barely managed to choke out.

She sighed and looked to the ground. “I don’t know. I’ve never seen something like this before. Magic isn’t usually fickle, it is harmonious, not chaotic. It should’ve spread out equally, but it didn’t. Something must’ve drawn it there.”

Deciding to think about that later, I finally worked up the nerve to ask her the question that was really eating away at me. “Is there any way to help her got those memories back?”

“It is theoretically possible to release them without harming her, but there is no way to know how not to trigger the magic. If it is triggered, the energy released would destroy her along with much of Ponyville.” She looked me in the eyes. “She will regain her memory Rainbow Dash. Just not ones focused around you.”

I just stood there. I was prepared for bad news, and this was most certainly bad, but it was more painful than anything else could’ve been. We could tell her about the past to help her get her memories. She would have great friends there for her at all times while she went through a tough time, but that was it. Only friends. Everyone would get their happy ending but me.

Celestia had finished, and stood there looking at me. I stood up and walked away.

“Rainbow?” Celestia began moving to her hooves.

I didn’t reply, going from a slow walk to a slight trot. By the time I got down the stairs and to the door, I was galloping. I left the library as fast as I could.

I focused on my legs, willing them to go faster and faster, take me away from it all. The muscles began to burn, and I focused on the pain, blotting everything else out. The burn got slowly worse and worse, slowly working it’s way from my legs to my whole body, and yet I didn’t stop. The pain felt good, for once everywhere but my heart hurting. It seemed only fair the rest of my body knew what it went through everyday. And so I galloped on.

Slowly my panting breaths turned to sobs, not even the agony my body was feeling was enough to block it all out. My eyes blurred the land around me. But I galloped on.

Finally my body and mind both gave out and I collapsed to the ground unwilling to go further. I laid there, unmoving and crying, feeling like the most lonely mare in existence. I stayed there for quite some time. eventually there was nothing left inside me, there was only a dull, hollow feeling that went throughout my body. Darkness fell over me as I fled the conscious world.

All is dark and cold before me.

.