• Published 14th Sep 2012
  • 2,554 Views, 40 Comments

Callicantzaros - Symphony



A human transported to Equestria, and he has forgotten what he was...

  • ...
3
 40
 2,554

Am I Cool Yet?

Ronya looked at me funny as I squeaked when the baby dragon started gurgling happily. What? I couldn't help it! It's just too damn cute! It hatched about two hours ago, but I was still acting like I had just seen it for the first time. Its colours were a couple of shades darker than Ronya's, but she explained that his scales will become brighter as he grows up.


I had decided to stay the rest of the night and the next day in the cave as well, as I didn't want to leave in the middle of the night. Because the sun could start rising when I'm far away from any kind of shelter.


Besides, my movements were restrained due to the makeshift bandages Ronya strapped onto my back, meaning that I wouldn't be able to run as fast as before.


”Hey...” Ronya whispered to me. I looked up to see that the baby had fallen asleep in her arms while sucking its tail. I squee'd. She rolled her eyes. ”I... I never asked you for your name, I think...” I shook my head and leaned back to the cave wall I was sitting next to.


...Wait


I never thought of a name... My old name would be weird to use here, but I couldn't choose a pony name. Wait a minute... Odin who brought me here was from the norse mythology, so maybe I'd use a nordic name? Ragnarok... Nah, too Gary Stu-ish... None of that here... Garmr? Yeah I like the sound of that, actually!


”Name's Garmr.” I closed my eyes and smirked. That was a nice name. Thank you, extra course in norse mythology...


”Listen Garmr... There's... a draconic tradition that the father of a drake names him... His father died a few weeks back, so he can't name him... I want to follow the tradition to some extents, so... Will you maybe... Name him?” My eyes shot open.


”You want me to what?” I whispered harshly.


”Please, Garmr...” She held the baby dragon closer to her. ”It's just a tradition I want to keep alive...” She looked at me with puppy-dog eyes. Huh, how about that... A dragon can do the puppy-dog look. Let's take all of this brain and put it somewhere else!

I sighed. ”Oh, fine...” I tapped a claw to my chin, only to realize what I was doing with the sharp appendage and stopped doing it. ”Uh, how about Sarkany?” I looked to Ronya, who looked down at the sleeping drake in her arms, then up to me with a small smile. ”It's the name of a legendary dragon from another country where I come from.”


”It's perfect...” She assured me and turned her attention back to Sarkany, who was kicking in his sleep. ”Thank you, Garmr.”


I nodded and settled down to rest again. ”Don't you think those diamond dogs will return here later and try again?”


”You killed their alpha male. They have to be unorganized and confused until a new alpha is chosen. But since you killed the alpha, you are currently the alpha of the pack, if you think like they do.” She started rocking Sarkany gently from side to side, causing him to yawn and roll over.


”But I'm a terrible leader! I can't organize at all, and I'm worthless at thinking out strategies!” I exclaimed, but snapped my mouth shut as Ronya glared at me for raising my voice. I sighed and facepalmed. ”Point is, I can't lead a bunch of dogs when I have to head for Equestria, and I can only travel at night...”


”I may not know why you have to go there, but tomorrow night I can fly you as far as I can. That way you can get there faster. If I can, I would also help you cross the sea dividing Equestria from the rest of the world.” She turned her head to the mouth of the cave. ”It's the least I can do after you saved me...”


”Thanks... I don't even know how long it is to Equestria from here...”


”It's about a two day's flight from here if I fly at my top speed the entire time. I won't do that, though as it would be an unneccesary strain and dangerous if we can only fly at night.” She concluded with a yawn.


”Alright.” I nodded and stood up. ”You can go ahead and rest, I'll stay on watch while you sleep.” Ronya yawned again and laid down, still holding Sarkany close to her side. It didn't take long for snores to come from her. I turned to the entrance of the cave, rolled my shoulders and took off to investigate the surrounding area.


I knew that the dogs must have come from a burrow close to the cave, as I doubt that they would walk around in plain view by their own free will. I high-fived myself as my suspicions were confirmed as I noticed a rough part of dirt with numerous paw-prints surrounding it. They must have filled it when they escaped... I sniffed the air around me to sense a strong trace coming from the east. I decided to ignore it though and decided to head back to the cave as I could see the horizon becoming brighter.


I sprinted back, only to wince at every step from the injuries suffered from fighting the alpha diamond dog. If I had issues with one of them, I didn't want to think of how I would fare against another alpha... I feel like I just got lucky and gave a low-blow. I guess I have to learn this body better so I can fight in a more established style instead of random slashing...


So, in my boredom, I decided to think about just that. From what I have experienced so far with this body is that I am fast, but I run out of steam quickly if I run for too long... I can also jump a fair bit up in the air, but that drains pretty much out of me. I also know that I can scare a few with this ugly face... I lifted my right hand to my mouth and felt the protruding fangs. With a sigh, I moved away my hand and continued walking back to the cave.


The claws, even when they were mostly in the way were also pretty useful. They could also be used to scare away others if they decided to come too close. So all in all, I have the speed and agility if I have to escape or chase something, and a pretty solid defense if I have to retreat. I just have to figure out a way to use it all to my advantage... I shrugged and increased my speed even further as I made a mad dash toward the mouth of the cave.


Once inside, I looked back to see the first rays of the sun creep over the distant horizon. I wonder what my family is doing... My dad would be the one finding my body in the pit... I... I feel like I abandoned them when I came here... Without thinking, I took a few steps forward out from the cave and stopped. I closed my eyes and stood to my full height.


Then all hell broke loose.


I roared in agony as the sunrays made contact with my body. It felt like every nerve in my body was on fire. All of the sensations vanished as a shade enclosed around me. I felt something leathery and cold wrap around me in a protective embrace. My eyes rolled back and I groaned, then fell unconscious.


I have no idea of how long I was out, but when I did wake up I was face-to-face with a pissed dragoness. ”What were you thinking?!” She shouted. I winced from the volume of her outburst. ”You almost got yourself killed out there!”


”I know...” I rolled around onto my stomach, then pushed myself up with my forearms. ”Sorry about that, I got lost in a thought and acted without thinking... Won't happen again.” I sighed.


”Now, what would you be thinking about that would be worth getting yourself killed for?” She said sarcastically. I had to fight back a sudden urge to lunge at her and make a dragon jigsaw puzzle. I snarled.


”My family back home... They think I'm dead when I came here. I didn't even choose to come here! I was thrown here by a god with too much time to spare!” I didn't even notice I was shouting at the end of the sentence, so now I was standing there in an awkward silence. Sarkany whined uncomfortably.


”A... god sent you here..?” Sonya raised an eyebrow. ”How, and which God was it?”


Ooooh crap. This is gonna be hard to explain... ”I guess I should start with the beginning...” I rubbed the back of my head. ”The god who sent me here is Odin, the ruler of Asgard. Now, he sounds like a swell guy, but he's actually a bit of a dick once you start talking to him...” I continued to tell her of how I was sent here. I had to stop and explain what a car was, though. Once I had told her my story, I looked up at her. ”And well, that's how I'm here now...”


She looked like she was about to burst out laughing at any given moment. She giggled. ”So, you're telling me you're from a completely different world altogether?” I nodded and she snortled. ”Likely story...” She shook her head.


”So, if I would have been born like this, don't you think it would be more than just one callicantzaros prancing around?” I stood up and stalked closer toward her. ”If I was born like this, don't you think I would be a bit more practiced in fighting?” I snarled. ”Tell me just one reason why I would lie to you about this? Have I lied to you ever since I met you?” A low growl rose from my throat.


Sarkany whimpered and turned away from me. Ronya glared at me, but looked away as he realized that I was right. ”You're right... I may not believe it entirely, but I should have been a bit more open-minded about it all...” She sighed. ”Sorry, but I just don't feel like it's true...” She looked away from me.


A sudden flicker next to her bought my attention, and Odin materialized next to her with his arms crossed and a grim scowl on his face. His one eye glared straight through my entire being and I shuddered. ”I wouldn't talk about that, if I was you... ” Odin hissed. ”I manipulated her mind into doubting everything you said about your world. You should keep that single truth away from her.”


I opened my mouth to reply, but he silenced me with a raised hand. ”You can answer me with your thoughts so you don't talk to thin air. She can't see or hear me. I snapped my mouth shut and nodded once.


”Why?”


”Because some things must be kept as a secret to ensure that you will be regarded as somewhat sane in some regard.” He smirked. 'Smartass' I rolled my eyes. ”I heard that.” He remarked casually. ”But in all honesty, it would be better if you keep some things about yourself hidden. Some things can be turned against you quite easily, such as your feelings of you abandoning your family.”


”Yeah, whatever... I get it, I'll have to lie about my past so it doesn't come back and bite me in the ass...”


”In layman's terms, yes.” He nodded. ”But remember one thing, callicantzaros...” His eyes narrowed, and I gulped. ”You don't sparkle in the sun.” He grinned, then vanished into thin air.


”Asshole...” I muttered quietly.


”What?” Ronya arched an eyebrow at me. ”Did you say something?”


”Uh... No, I didn't...” Pokerface'd. ”Listen, I have to try and get some sleep... I glanced out through the mouth of the cave to see that the sun had almost reached its peak in the sky. I trekked slowly further into the cave, then laid down and faced the cave wall. I tried to gather my scattered thoughts. Some of them were about how I would learn to fight better, when some of them were about my family. I sighed and closed my eyes. A sudden pressure to my right side forced my eyes open.


Sarkany had laid himself next to me and was curled up into a tiny adorable ball of scales. I smiled, then closed my eyes again. I had a pretty low chance at actually getting to Equestria, but all of those concerns could be focused on another da- err...night. Within a few minutes, I was asleep.

Author's Note:

Unedited, because I'm a lazy bastard and I'm tired. I feel old and my life sucks (not really but still). WHEEE~

Comments ( 5 )

Update? Update! Another great chapter, mate.

:heart:
First comment after a long two months of HIATUS from here!
~happy to be back with an update!~

...
Fav'd because I want to see where this is going. :duck:

Somehow, these Chessgame of the gods fics have me wanting to write one. With the Immortal Emperor of Mankind being the sponsor. Primarch, anyone? Maybe make a new legion with the other transformed humans (after turning them back, and the Imperium does not accept "no" as a valid answer)? Hey, all is fair in in love and war, and the Emperor sure as hell would point that out (if he could still talk).

Equestria and its world wouldn't know what hit it. Probably something in the pteratons.

Login or register to comment