• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 30,361 Views, 1,369 Comments

Not My Destiny - Smayds



Twilight refuses to accept her ancient alicorn heritage

  • ...
61
 1,369
 30,361

Appendix II: Super-Mega-Ultra-Happy Alternate Ending

Not My Destiny
by Smayds

Appendix II: Super-Mega-Ultra-Happy Alternate Ending (with still just a hint of bittersweet)

Note: This ending didn't exist until about two hours ago. I'd been editing the super-grimdark alternate ending together, and also another canon ending set far in the future, and they both thoroughly depressed me, so I put this alternate ending together to cheer myself up, and decided to share it with you as well.

This is NOT canon to the end of Not My Destiny, but it does make me happier.

We pick up the story halfway through the bar scene in the epilogue.


The talk turned to other things. Twilight didn't join in. She looked slightly confused about something. This was the same feeling she'd had back in the library, just before they all went out. She listened to her friends talking happily all around her, listened to the background din of the bar. Everypony was having the time of their lives. Glancing up, she saw Celestia looking at her glum demeanour out of the corner of her eye.

Eternal harmony...

Eternal...

Finally, Twilight brought up the subject that she'd been trying to avoid for weeks and weeks now.

"So, uh, Celestia?"

The co-ruler of all of Equestria lowered her glass to the table and looked at her very steadily. Something told Twilight that Celestia knew what she was about to ask.

"What's on your mind, Twilight?"

"Uh, eternity. Immortality."

The talking and laughter of her friends died down as everypony turned to look at her. The rest of the bar was still noisy enough, but those around the table heard Twilight very clearly as she whispered the thought that she'd finally been able to confront.

"I'm going to have to watch all of my friends grow old. Grow old and... and pass away."

The background sounds of reveling ponies seemed to die away as well. Twilight looked at the table sadly, picked up her glass of cider, put it back down again. She looked up at the Princesses, both of whom were gazing at her with incredulity.

"Your friends? These friends? Luna asked, sweeping a silver-shod hoof around the table. "How in all of Equestria are your friends going to grow old and pass away, Twilight Sparkle?" the midnight-blue alicorn said, disbelief written all over her graceful features. "How is that possible?"

Celestia blinked at Twilight's thoroughly confused face, realising what the small lavender alicorn meant. She started laughing quietly, beaming at her former student, who was now starting to turn slightly red. "Oh, Twilight! You don't know?" The Sun Goddess swept her gaze around the table, beaming at all of the Bearers. "None of you know? None of you noticed?"

"Ever since you defeated Night Mare Moon and destroyed my dark powers," Luna said, "have you ever so much as stubbed a hoof? Suffered any sort of injury at all that you didn't recover from far faster than would be possible for a mortal creature?"

Dawning comprehension began to appear in the minds of the six ponies.

Applejack remembered more than a week with no sleep and immense physical exertion, something that should have put her in hospital... She'd been fine after a half-hour nap...

Pinkie Pie shuddered at the memory of ingesting dozens and dozens of toxic muffins, which only made her mildly ill. She was bouncing around again, perfectly well, within minutes, while the other unfortunate customers that had had as little as a single bite were all in the emergency clinic overnight. Some of them were in there for days...

Fluttershy winced, recalling how she'd run at full speed into a closed door last Night Mare Night, something that should have broken her nose, and possibly even knocked out a few teeth. She'd been only momentarily dazed. And not to mention that she'd regrown her severed wing in almost no time at all, and her serious burns had faded in less than a week. You couldn't even see where they'd been now... How much of that was Princess Celestia's doing, and how much was her own?

Rainbow Dash, suffering similar serious injuries to her wings, remembered even having one trapped under a rockslide once. Where there should have been crushed and shattered bones, there were only bruises that had faded in hours...

Rarity, a unicorn, and not very physically strong, had carried a three-tonne rock around for hours with hardly any effort. She didn't like thinking of... that particular day, but it was true. She'd done it.

And Twilight herself, before the day she woke up as an indestructible alicorn, had been through so many scrapes and bangs that she should have ended up permanently crippled. Smashing into the cliff while running away from the hydra... And earlier that day, hadn't half a moving truck fallen right on her head? And what was the result? A headache that was gone within ten minutes.

"The Friends of The Master of Magic are scattered all throughout The Book, Twilight. You are all mentioned many, many thousands of times. I'd say you'd all have fairly furiously busy lives if those predicted events weren't spread out over a very, very long time," Celestia finished, winking at her lavender friend. "The Elements of Harmony have immense power, and Luna and myself were never able to unlock more than a fraction of their true potential. At last, however, the Elements have found their masters. They have chosen you six as their Eternal Bearers. They changed their forms to match the ponies they selected to wield them for all of eternity."

Nopony spoke for a moment - they were all too shocked and stunned by this revelation. Predictably, Pinkie Pie broke the relative silence at their table.

"We're all gonna live FOREVER?" she shrieked. "I can throw parties for my friends FOREVER?" She was almost vibrating her way off the seatcushions in her obvious excitement. Celestia was about to bring her back down to earth, but Luna spoke first.

"Remember, please, my little ponies. Immortality is hard. You will have to watch your loved ones grow old and pass away. This will be very hard on all of you," Luna said sadly. "You will all be together forever, but your other friends, lovers, children... They will all die around you. Your hearts will break, over and over, for thousands and thousands of years. You must all learn to cope with such immense loss." One single silver tear trailed down Luna's beautiful cheek, mirrored by a golden one from Celestia, as they briefly allowed themselves to remember their own vast grief.

The Bearers had obviously not considered this, and just as Twilight had thought she'd outlive her friends, now they were realising they would outlive... everyone else they cared for. Twilight was just coming to the understanding that she'd actually be able to see Spike reach adulthood, about two thousand years from now, when Celestia spoke again.

"It's not easy. But we cope. Part of being an alicorn is keeping a level head in a crisis, Twilight, as you know. That will extend to coping with loss." Celestia looked around the table at the overwhelmed faces.

Luna spoke again. "Twilight is an alicorn, but, I'm afraid, you are not. The loss and grief may seem overwhelming. But you will find your own ways to deal with it, I know you will. Twilight Sparkle, my sister, and myself will all be there to help you through it. We all promise you that."

Celestia nodded. "You all have immensely long, full, worthwhile lives ahead of you. Twilight, Luna and myself will share in those lives. You will suffer loss such as you cannot imagine. But for every friend and loved one that passes away, you will remember them in your hearts for ever, my little ponies. Just as Luna and myself remember every friend we have ever made."

The six best friends digested this slowly as a pegasus guardspony trotted unobtrusively up to Celestia and murmured something quietly into her ear. "Yes, yes, I suppose you're right." She looked at Luna, who nodded, then she turned to address the table at large.

"The other affairs of state are starting to pile up. I'm afraid we must both get back to them. Even with all the time in the world," Celestia chuckled, "there's just never enough time." She smiled, getting to her hooves. "I trust we will see you all soon, though? We're having a small, private dinner this weekend. Just the eight of us, plus Spike."

"Oooh! Formal dress?!" Rarity exclaimed, her shining eyes going wide with joy and anticipation.

"However you choose to come will be fine," Luna said, smiling happily. "Twilight Sparkle, we will be awaiting the arrival of your friends and yourself." The two sisters bowed, which made Twilight wince. "Celestia and myself are quite looking forward to it. Imagine us, hosting a private function for a Princess!"

Celestia and Luna chuckled. To bows and smiles from the other patrons, the Princesses, accompanied by half-a-dozen golden-armoured guards, walked gracefully out of the Ponyville Bar.

Twilight slumped her chin down on to the table. Then, she craned her head around and looked at her wings. She wiggled them. She sighed.

"Oh! Girls!" Pinkie gasped without warning. "You all GOTTA come to Sugarcube Corner tomorrow at four o'clock! I just remembered!" she said in a sudden rush.

Twilight sat up and looked at her immensely happy and expectant pink friend. "Let me guess..."

"Shhh! Don't tell yourselves this, but it's our Hey-Wow-We're-All-Gonna-Live-Forever surprise party!" Pinkie giggled. "Everypony's invited!"

Twilight rolled her eyes, then smiled.

The first of many, many parties to come.

Hundreds of thousands of parties.

Possibly millions of parties.

I hope there's enough cake in Equestria to handle this...

"Wouldn't miss it, Pinkie. I wouldn't miss it for the world."