• Published 23rd Dec 2011
  • 30,357 Views, 1,369 Comments

Not My Destiny - Smayds



Twilight refuses to accept her ancient alicorn heritage

  • ...
61
 1,369
 30,357

Chapter 11: Good Night, Goddess

Not My Destiny
by Smayds

Chapter 11 - Good Night, Goddess

Night Mare Moon opened her mouth to speak to her sister and the remaining Bearers, but before she could enunciate a single sound, she was rudely interrupted by a rainbow-maned sky-blue pony colliding at high speed with her armoured head.

"RAINBOW DASH!" a chorous of voices shouted.

"NIGHT MARE MOON!" a lone terrified pegasus shouted.

Night Mare Moon closed her eyes and gently screamed through tightly-clamped jaws, while the pink earth pony grabbed the terrified rainbow-blue blur and whispered urgently into her ear. She stood up."If we have all finished?!" she said, her voice in a slightly scarier pitch than she had intended.

"Wow, Rainbow Dash! What happened?! Did you find the dragons?! Did ya?! Huh huh huh?" Pinkie Pie was leaking enthusiasm all over the cave.

"Sure did, Pinkie Pie! Princess Celestia! I got a really important message from Fluttershy." The speed demon stood tall on her hooves and made herself look as important as possible. "We've got dragons! They'll fight for Equestria!"

There was a fairly shocked silence following this statement. Finally, Applejack ventured forth.

"Dragons? Y'all found DRAGONS?"

"Lots'a dragons!" Rainbow dash chortled, doing a rather un-recommended aerobatic manoeuvre within the tight confines of the cave. "We've got two of them on our side, and Fluttershy thinks she can get at least one more! Oh man, that pegasus is CRAZY! I mean, seriously... Oh, you had to be there! Oh! Oh! Pinkie Pie! Fluttershy said I had to bring you back with me! She needs another, uh, I can't remember what she said. Another, uh, cowgirl, I think!"

Pinkie's expression blazed with happiness. "Oooh! I could do that! I've always wanted to fly! Ever since I got my cutie mark, Mom always said that I kept bouncing around everywhere so fast all over the place, I shoulda been born with wings!"

"Alright, my little ponies," Night Mare Moon said. "I believe that a plan has come to light. It seems that Twilight Sparkle can briefly contain the beast. Very briefly, mind you," she said to the suddenly surprised faces in the cave. "We shall give Twilight Sparkle what she wants. We shall present her with some of her friends, and then we will see how she reacts."

Celestia's expression told everypony exactly what she thought of this plan. Night Mare Moon seemed to have anticipated her. "We will not risk anypony. We... I... That is, I did not set out to explicitly harm a single soul in my madness of a thousand years ago. I could not do so now, as I could not do so then."

"I never doubted that you could, Little Sister," Celestia said after a brief silence. "Please, if you have a plan, share it with us. If you will pardon the rather uncouth phrase, I've got buck-all to work with here."

"Rainbow Dash." The Mare of the Night stared the technicolour pegasus square in the eye. "Along with your very ebullient pink friend, please, take this message to Fluttershy." She spoke on for a few moments. "We will wait for your signal, and then Celestia will get the other ponies. Are we agreed?"

There were nods all around the cave. Rainbow Dash sat upright and saluted. "Sure thing, Princess!" Flapping back into the air, she picked up Pinkie Pie with her front hooves. "By the way, your Highness? You look awesome, you know!"

Grinning, Night Mare Moon spread her enormous wings and swirled her magical mane. Every pony in the room felt a thrill of terror, which was quickly dispelled as they remembered she was fighting with them. They hoped.

"Fly jus' as fast as ya can, Rainbow Dash!" Applejack called as the pegasus whipped up the cave, the delighted squeals of the pink earth pony growing rapidly faint.

"Alright then, Little Sister," Celestia said. "Let's put this plan into action. The deadline has passed, and I feel nothing trying to attack the sun. I'm not really sure she could do it, but we can't risk that." As Night Mare Moon nodded, she turned to Applejack and Rarity. "Are you ready to try to save your friend?"


An earthy-orange pony picked her way carefully through the smashed and scattered rubble of Ponyville. The indigo-maned unicorn that followed her was somehow ignoring the dirt and dust that accumulated on her pure-white hooves.

They rounded a ruined windmill, and saw her.

Lying on the ground before them, blood-red tears streaming from her eyes, a regal-looking alicorn writhed and thrashed in the shattered street. Her enormous horn was ablaze, her vast wings smashing into the ground so hard that they were cracking the flagstones of the road on which she lay.

"Twilight?" the earth pony asked.

"Twilight, are you alright?" the unicorn chipped in.

The change was immediate. The thrashing alicorn leapt bolt-upright, visibly shrinking in size as she resumed her natural form. The vast discharge of magical energy from her horn shrank to little more than a tiny glow.

"Applejack? Rarity?"

A lavender blur caught the two ponies around their necks, pulling them into a deep embrace. "Oh, I've missed you! I've missed you! Where's everypony else?! Are they okay?!"

"They're fine," the earth pony said. "Twilight, what are you going to do with us?"

"What am I gonna DO with you? Oh, Applejack! I'm not going to do ANYTHING with you! It's so good to have you here! I can concentrate, I can block this thing off for as long as I want! It's in my mind but I know where it lives! I can beat it! I really can!"

"Twilight Sparkle, I am very sorry to have done this. I really am. I never intended to deceive you," the apple-marked pony said.

Twilight looked her farmer friend in the face. "What... Applejack, you don't sound like... Applejack..."

Applejack and Rarity approached Twilight and Night Mare Moon's two mirages. "Twi', we're over here. Princess Luna wouldn't let us near you without makin' sure you weren't gonna just, well, you know. Just try an' attack us, like." As she spoke, "Applejack" and "Rarity" dissolved into blue smoke and dust. "But we're here now, sugarcube. And we ain't leavin'. We're here for ya, come Hell or high water."

"I, um." Twilight looked stunned. "I thought that you weren't, uh, you. But I know you're you now!" The small purple winged unicorn swept the real Rarity and Applejack into a powerful hug.

"So, ah, Twilight, dear, what do we do? Well, I mean," Rarity said, "I suppose it really is you in there?" She looked thoroughly petrified.

"Oh, Rarity. Of course it's me! I told Luna to get my friends! My friends make me stronger! I know where It is, and I can put a barrier spell around It! But, uh," Twilight seemed to sag slightly. "It really does take it out of me. I mean, you shouldn't be here in, uh, about twenty seconds from now. If it finds you..." The lavender alicorn's eyes widened.

"Hey! We got ourselves a plan!" Applejack said. "If we tells y'all what we're gonna do, can that thing in yer head find out about it?"

Twilight shook her head. "It only knows whats going on in the present. Like, It only sees what I see. Through my eyes. I've got It in my magic cupboard right now," Twilight chuckled. "Tell me anything you want, and as long as I don't think about it too hard, It's in the dark. What I need is a distraction. If you and the rest of the girls were there, and I got REALLY distracted -"

"Well, alright then!" Applejack said. "Okay, we're gonna try and catch you. Like, hold ya' until we can use the Elements. And we got ourselves a real doozy of a distraction! That alright with you?"

"It'll be so dangerous with you all there," Twilight said, a look of desperation coming into her face. "I might, uh, I might kill you."

"Oh darling! Don't you worry yourself about that! Just promise me this one thing," Rarity said.

"What? Promise you what?" Twilight's eyes were starting to dilate. "Hey, uh, girls, I don't think I've got too much longer here."

"Don't worry, Twilight. Just promise me something, alright?"

"Of course!"

"When it comes, you promise me that you'll fight tooth and hoof to get yourself back. Promise me?!"

"Okay, okay! Okay, Rarity!" Twilight was starting to twitch and shudder. "I promise! I'll... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"You jus' save yer strength, okay? We'll be there to save ya!" Applejack and Rarity were backing up rapidly.

"I promise, girls! I promise! Get away! It's coming baAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

The earth pony and the unicorn turned tail and fled as fast as they could. Flames erupted behind them as Night Mare Flare took flight.

"WHERE ARE YOU? YOU WERE JUST HERE! WHERE ARE YOU?!"

Twin white-and-gold and black-and-silver blurs smashed into the towering flaming alicorn. Celestia and Night Mare Moon together grabbed It and threw the Thing as hard as they could, straight upwards. They followed on its hooves, pressing the attack. They had to get Night Mare Flare as high as they could.


"Wheeeeeeee! This is fun!" Pinkie Pie shouted over the roar of the wind and the tremendous beating of massive wings.

"It's not supposed to be fun, Pinkie!" Dash called back. "We're supposed to be saving Twilight! But yeah, this is fun!"

"Eyes on the prize, girls!" Fluttershy shouted. "There they are! Rainbow Dash! The signal!"

The multicolour-maned pegasus leaped upwards from the neck of her steed and rocketed into the sky. Tipping over high, high above into a dive, her wings beating so fast they were a blur, she did what she absolutely, positively did better than any other pony, because no other pony had ever done it. Her special talent, a talent as rare as Twilight's total mastery of magic, something that no other pony, ever, had been best at. This was far from a trivial task - she'd only done this twice before, after all - but the lives of every living thing in the world were at stake, and also, more importantly to her, her friend's life was at stake. In such a situation, the most loyal of friends found that the required power and speed came easily. Her light-blue wing feathers nearly caught fire as she accelerated, straight down, through the speed of sound and far beyond, passing Mach two, Mach three, Mach four...

As the blinding explosion of panchromatic light shattered the night sky above them, Fluttershy drew in a very, very deep breath. She pointed at the raging battle dead ahead and, as the rapidly-decelerating Rainbow Dash flew back to resettle herself onto her mount, let forth the loudest sound she would ever make in her life.

"CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!"

Following the Sonic Rainboom's spectrum-shattering visual shockwave all the way in, three of the most enormous dragons that Equestria had ever seen, complete with screaming, whooping ponies clinging to their backs, flew faster than the fastest winds towards the battle for the fate of the world.


Twilight knew what was going on. It was like watching a film. She saw herself grabbing and thrashing Celestia and Night Mare Moon, throwing them away from her, trying to hurl them to the ground far below, ripping and tearing uselessly at their indestructible flesh...

She was fighting with all her might to not allow her magic to be seized and pulled from her by the other two alicorns, so as not to accidentally strengthen one of the spells she was raining on them. And she was pulling as hard at their magical attacks as she could, making them far stronger, far more devastating upon her.

It wasn't going to work. She'd win. She'd destroy the sun so everything slowly froze to death, and then she'd start to take the world apart piece by piece to find the Bearers.

A vast rippling sheet of pure rainbow blasted across the sky above her. Paying it no heed, she saw Celestia dive for the ground, moving faster than she'd ever seen the Princess move. She ignored that, too. Concentrated only on Night Mare Moon.

Enormous teeth closed around her.

Dragon teeth.

Magical teeth.

She was caught, in huge, indestructible, magical teeth. They were crushing her. They might even be able to penetrate her magical hide.

Magic is as magic does...

Vast claws were raking along her back and wings. The echoes of pain shouted through her mind as she twisted, fighting back, lashing the dragon with blistering fire, allowing herself to forget that dragons were fireproof.

She was thoroughly distracted.

Now was the moment.

NOW!

She found The Lunacy within her mind. It was there. It was right there. It could not have made its location more plain. And it was thoroughly surprised and distracted by this development.

Oh, yes. Some star must be shining down on me. I'll ask Luna about it later.

She fumbled within her mind.

She found purchase.

She grabbed it.

Squeezed it.

Twisted it.

Broke it loose...

"GET THE BUCK OUT OF MY HEAD!" she screamed, in a tone far louder and far more regal, despite the profanity, than the Royal Canterlot Voice.

Twilight Sparkle threw the tiny ball of absolute blackness as far away from her as she could...

The world seemed to explode in a concussion of terror and hate.


She fell.

Fell through the air.

I'm falling...

I'm going to hit the ground and die...

She remembered that she couldn't.

Wings tearing wide, she took in the view.

The Lunacy, visible at last as a physical entity. Night Mare Moon and the dragons were ripping into it. One dragon was hurled straight down, but they were too high for it to hit the ground before it recovered, and it flew back into the battle with jaws blazing fire.

Celestia was floating low down near the town, a thick magical bubble around herself and five other ponies. She was carrying Applejack, Rainbow Dash was carrying Rarity, and Fluttershy was holding Pinkie Pie.

They were all wearing necklaces...

"THE CROWN! THE CROWN!" Twilight screamed. "WHERE IS IT?! WHERE IS IT?! WHERE'S THE CROWN?!"

Celestia reached her magic down to the small, well-hidden wooden chest she had placed in the rubble beneath her. She seized the magenta-jeweled tiara and threw it faster than a bullet towards the rapidly-approaching small lavender alicorn.

Twilight saw it coming.

She grabbed it. Moved it into her flight path.

It slammed onto her head with a physical concussion of bright white light.


The Master of Magic flexed her thaumaturgical muscles.

Oh. Oh, my.

She opened her eyes. They blazed white-hot as she found her target. High above, three enormous winged beasts surrounded Night Mare Flare, snapping at it, smashing it with their great indestructible claws, blasting it with white-hot dragonfire. Night Mare Moon circled the rampaging battle, firing blasts of coloured light at the ferocious Thing at the centre of the fray. Distracting it. Blinding it to the real threat.

"GIRLS! TO ME!"

The crown's jewel exploded with light. Celestia dropped her magical barrier as five ponies, their jewelled necklaces glowing, were telekinetically pulled up to Twilight's height.


The Element of Magic, wielded by the most magically-powerful being the world had ever seen.

Flying higher and higher, her friends following along close on her wingtips, up towards the Thing that had tricked her, manipulated her, tried to control her.

The dragons saw her coming. Disengaging, they flapped back out of the monster's immediate reach, leaving it to Night Mare Moon alone.

Night Mare Flare saw her coming too. A fear, a terror older than Equestria itself, blossomed wildly in the mind of The Lunacy. It saw its destruction. Powered by the vestiges of Twilight Sparkle's magic, its magical ability was immense, but it could not triumph over this. It could not stand in the face of the Elements of Harmony.

It turned and tried to flee.

Twilight snatched it, squeezed it, crushed it with her mind. It began to howl, twisting, spinning within her grip, trying to teleport away from the death it saw bearing down upon it.

The jewels on the elements flared suddenly, intense purple and howling yellow and searing blue and blazing orange and red. The other five Bearers gasped in awe as their eyes, too, suddenly flamed perfect blistering white.

Twilight Sparkle, Master of Magic, Keystone of the Elements of Harmony, threw all of her magical ability into the destruction of the indestructible. Her friends started to scream as blazing rainbow-hued light began to explode from their eyes.

Twilight Sparkle's own eyes blazed hotter than the core of the sun as she cast her spell.

The concussion shattered windows as far away as Phillydelphia and Manehattan. A giant elemental fist of pure white light, entwined with spidery threads of all the colours of the rainbow, smashed into Night Mare Flare with the force of the Moon colliding with the world. Uncountable flying white-hot sparks exploded from the Thing as the three massive dragons turned tail and fled the oncoming cataclysm.

Night Mare Flare lived up to its chosen name. With a flash of light many times brighter than the noon-day sun, illuminating all of Equestria for hundreds of miles around, the enormous fang-jawed flaming alicorn-shape shrank into an almost imperceptibly-miniscule pinprick of light, shimmered and wavered for the tiniest moment, and then, with a sudden caterwauling shriek that every single living thing in the world heard clearly, exploded into a vast blooming sheet of brightest day and deepest night, spreading rapidly to the horizons, covering all the world with speckled swirling blotches composed of equal parts light and dark, flame and smoke, day and night, before fading, softly, to nothing.

With a scream of absolute glorious elation, Night Mare Moon exploded in a shower of deep blue smoke and silver sparks. A small alicorn with a pale-blue mane shot down out of the expanding cloud of black and silver dust, shrieking with joy as billions of stars blossomed and exploded back into view in the pitch-black night sky above.

"It's dead! It's gone! It's gone, gone, gone! It's gone forever!" Luna shrilled, her face almost split in two by an enormous smile. Then she noticed what was occupying Celestia's attention. As her sister raced up from far below, she folded her wings and shot into a dive after the falling unconscious ponies.