• Published 21st Oct 2012
  • 24,542 Views, 1,266 Comments

The Assumption of Applejack -or- Appletheosis - Blue Print



Applejack deals with ascension to godhood.

  • ...
36
 1,266
 24,542

Chapter Twelve: Atheteo

Chapter Twelve: Atheteó

Applejack trotted across the dense cloud cover. In a small depression lay Night Glider, peacefully gazing up at the stars, idly tracing their constellations with a hoof. Glider sighed and snuggled deeper into her cloud, letting her hoof hang limp. Her chest rose and fell gently as the moon and stars continued to wheel overhead. A beatific smile broke across her face. She took a deep breath and held it. The moonlight brightened around her and the stars began to twinkle across the dome of the sky. The cloud beneath her solidified, darkened and crackled with energy. Applejack watched wide-eyed as Night Glider’s coat deepened from a glittering blue to a somber navy, her haunches turning deep black. Her mane spread out from her head and neck in a pale blue halo as she began to inhale again. Her lungs already full, she breathed in the magic of the cosmos. It expanded her and flowed forth from her forehead in a beam of gentle moonlight. Darkness rustled about her feathers and swirled around her lengthening limbs. Finally, the moonlight dimmed and the darkness was no more a thing alive. Night Glider, now the goddess of the night, opened her eyes, seeming surprised that she was now upright.

The new goddess shook her head and spread her wings to fly. She leapt gracefully off of her cloud… and promptly fell through the floor.

Applejack galloped after her. Apparently the thought was what counted, because Applejack instantly found herself alongside the panicking goddess. It took her a few minutes to right herself, but Night Glider finally managed to settle herself into a steady drift. Her expression upon seeing her expanded wings was horrified. Her face soon shifted to anguish as she looked down at her now-plain coat. “My-my stars! My constellations!” Applejack frowned. Her stars were missing, just not the ones she was complaining about. AJ reached out a hoof to gather in a lock of flat, blue mane only to have her hoof swatted away. Night Glider frowned at the earth pony. “I’d thank thee if thou wouldst keep thy hooves to thyself. This is a memory, but it is also a dream. If thou breakest my concentration I cannot keep the events accurate.

“Oh, uh, sorry Luna.”

“Night Glider. I am in-character.”

“… Right.”

Luna/Glider sighed dramatically. “Fine, I suppose I can give thee commentary as well.”

Applejack smirked at the goddess, “Well, mind tellin’ me why y’all’s mane is still blue?”

“It is because I had not yet come into the fullness of my powers. It would be some time before I was truly connected with the moon.”

“So, y’all’re sayin’ that mah mane’s gonna get all…”

“Wavy? Yes. Now hush. This next bit is hard for me.” Suddenly they were gliding over a massive cloud city. “Old Pegasopolis, long before the unification.” said Luna, refusing to elaborate further. Its districts spread out towards the horizon, and even in the middle of the night, torch-bearing pegasus legionaries could be seen flitting about on their rounds. Night Glider eyed their patrols for some time before swinging into a dangerously fast dive, straight at the roof of a house. She plowed halfway through before stopping, and managed to wiggle the rest of the way in before anypony spotted her. Carefully patching the cloud behind her, she sat for a minute, eyes sad, wide and expressive. Finally, taking a shuddering breath, she called out, “Mother!”

There was a startled squeak from below and a little ‘whumpf’ of displaced cloud before a concerned voice called out, “Nightie? Is that you? Why are you in the attic?”

Night Glider bit her lip pensively before answering. “Don’t come up. Something has happened to me.”

Her mother’s voice took on a sharp edge, “What have you done? What do you mean something has ‘happened?’ You weren’t fooling about with somepony were you?”

Miserable, Night Glider replied, “No mother, I-I have become hideous, monstrously large in limb and body.”

Her mother’s voice hardened, “I’m coming up there.” A pale blue mare poked her head up a nearby stairwell glancing about in the darkness for her daughter. “Nightie?”

Night Glider sobbed out her answer, barely louder than a whisper. “I’m right here mom.”

Finally, Luna’s mother’s eyes adjusted to the dark attic. They lit upon the hulking blue mass crouched in the corner of the room and widened in fear. “Demon. What did you do to my daughter?” she whispered.

“I am your daughter. It’s me, Night Glider.”

The little mare shrieked, pointing her hoof. “You ate my daughter and stole her voice! Fell Wendigo, would you consume me also?”

“No, I am your daughter, you must believe me mother!”

“No! You are a thing of witchcraft, warped into a mockery of the sun-nag. Leave me! I abjure you by the spirits of my mothers!”

Applejack’s heart broke, just as Luna’s must have that night. She watched as Night Glider pleaded and begged with her fleeing mother. The dark alicorn then slumped into a heap, sobbing gently. Night made no move to escape when the legionaries burst into the house, binding her in chains and dragging her to the fortress. She lay there all night, weeping gently.

In the morning another group of legionaries dragged her in front of a massively built stallion. They saluted and then backed away as the stallion came over to examine the alicorn. He leaned in close and lifted her chin with a hoof. “So, demon, what is your name?”

“Night Glider.”

The stallion drew back a hoof and slapped her roughly. “Don’t think you can lie so pitifully to me and get away with it demon. I am the master of the sky, conqueror of the griffon lands, bane of dragons. The unicorns and earthlings alike tremble at the mention of my name. Ten legions of pegasi await my slightest whim. Now, pitiful demon, tell me your name.”

“Night Glider.”

He slapped her again, this time with the edge of his hoof, drawing a thin line of blood from her cheek. “You have one more chance before I destroy you. Night Glider is the mare you killed and consumed. I will not allow a freak like you to live in pegasus air. What are you. What is your name. What mad unicorn bound you to torment us. Tell me now.”

I AM NIGHT GLIDER!” The alicorn shrieked and rose in her shackles. She lunged at the pegasus commander. The chains stopped her only briefly before snapping like tinsel. She slapped at the commander with a massive wing, sending him hurtling through the walls of the fortress. The legionaries immediately reacted, hurling spear after spear at the maddened mare. She shrieked in agony and fell to the floor, writhing in pain. Within minutes, unconsciousness mercifully took her.

***

As the scene faded to black, Applejack sat there, slack-jawed and teary-eyed. Luna, once again a starry pegasus, trotted out of the blackness. “Art thou alright, Applejack?”

“Oh, sugarcube… Whut they did to ya... Yer own mother…” Applejack grabbed up Luna into a tight embrace. “They ain’t gonna do that agin. Ah swear. Nopony will ever treat anypony like that agin. Ever. Ah promise ya.” Luna sat stiffly, unsure what to do about the physical contact, even if it wasn’t strictly her physical form.

“Applejack.”

AJ sniffed and glanced aside at Luna. “Yeah?”

“I’m fine. It was thousands of years ago. I have long since made my peace with what happened.”

“But Ah made y’all relive it. That’s gotta be tha worst. Ah don’t care how old ya are.”

Luna carefully extracted herself from the awkward hug, putting a hoof out to keep AJ at arm’s length. “I won’t say it wasn’t difficult, but I chose to tell this story. I can deal with the pain.”

“A’right. Well… What happened next? Whut did they do to ya?”

“Well, I don’t think I need to show thee, I was mercifully unconscious for all of it anyways. Basically, they mangled and broke my body in every way they could manage, then dropped me over the unicorn palace with a note stapled to my head that read ‘nice try.’ They assumed I was dead. I spent the next year or so in the godsleep while my body recovered. To say that my dreams during that time were disturbing would be akin to calling the sky simply big. When I woke up was a different matter. Here, let me give thee another perspective, close thy eyes. Thou mayest see through mine.”

***

Applejack opened her eyes slowly. Her entire body felt stiff and wrong. She tried shifting her legs to roll over, but they refused to move. A tiny whimper escaped her lips. Almost immediately a heavy clomping alerted her of somepony approaching. A calm, feminine, but haughty voice called out to her. “Don’t try to get up. Thou art far too weak yet to rise. Be grateful We knew when thou wert about to wake. Here, let us help thee.” Applejack frowned inwardly at the condescending use of ‘thou.’ How dare this stranger speak down to her!

A tingling of magic enclosed her hind legs and started pumping them slowly back and forth in a paddling motion, restoring their blood flow and feeling. Applejack grunted in pain, but bore it stoically like a good pegasus. After a few minutes the unknown pony switched to her forelegs and began massaging the life back into them. The voice hummed softly as she worked. Finally, she asked Applejack, “Canst thou move them thyself? Try.” Carefully, gingerly, AJ pedaled her legs in the air, the tingle of numbness less, but still there. “Good, now look at us. We need to be sure of the state of thy mind.”

Applejack turned to face her benefactor. Her first instinct was to spit, but good judgment stopped her. It was a unicorn, a massive unicorn with an outsized horn and a condescending attitude to match. Applejack coughed to clear her throat, and then coughed again in earnest. Quickly she felt a cup held against her lips and drank greedily of the small beer it contained. Trying again, she croaked out, “Wh-h-h-ho are you?” before devolving into another coughing fit.

“Well, there are many names We are called by. Does Sun-Nag sound familiar?” Applejack immediately began coughing again in shock. “No no. Calm thyself. We are not the witch those dogs paint us to be. Thou… you may call us Celestia. We are currently in the court of Queen Argent Spira of the Unicorns. They remanded you to my care, not knowing the ways nor resilience of the ancient ones.”

Applejack quirked an eyebrow at that. “Ancient ones? How long was I asleep?”

Celestia chuckled slightly at that, “No, my little pony, you were not out that long. You have the form of a genie, an avatar, a demi-god, whatever you like to call it.”

The implications of that statement percolated through Applejack’s rusty brain, slowly turning the gears until she finally called out in surprise. “That would mean that I…” She felt her forehead. Sure enough, her hoof bumped painfully against a long, spiraling horn. AJ’s eyes widened as large as they could go. Throwing back her head, she wailed, “I am a freak! A hideous, pagan, unicorn god…”

Celestia stomped her hoof loudly on the stone floor. “ENOUGH. I have had enough of that sort of talk from ignorant little ponies, I won’t have it from one of my own kind. Now, look at me. Look. At. Me. You are a perfectly normal pony, but one with godly power. The world owes you deference, but you will have to take it from them. Earn it. I know of what they did to you in Pegasopolis. Prove them wrong about you and make them sing your praises and exploits from the tops of the clouds. Make them love you. Yes?”

Applejack cowered back a bit at the outburst, but found herself nodding along with the sheer compulsion and imperative that Celestia’s voice held. Finally, she answered, “Yes… Yes! I will win their love.”

***

AJ shook herself as the illusion faded. “Ah don’t think Ah like that…”

“It displeases thee? I have always been fascinated by the act of looking through the eyes of another. No matter, I need not tell the rest of the story that way.”

“So ya weren’t actually sisters?”

“No, we were not. Over time we became inseparable and swore an oath of sisterhood to one another. I would extend that oath to thee.”

“Luna. Y’all keep goin’ back ‘n’ forth on yer whole thee and thou thing. In tha dream y’all were insulted that Celestia was callin’ ya that, and now y’all are usin’ those words ta offer me sisterhood… Whut am Ah supposed ta take from that?”

“Oh, thee is familiar. It is only proper to use it with friends or family. To speak thus with a stranger or an acquaintance is to indicate that you do not respect them as an equal.”

“So, yer sayin’ Ah have no way of knowin’ if yer insultin’ me or callin’ me yer kin.”

“Thou art correct!” Luna giggled at that.

Applejack rolled her eyes at Luna’s attempt at humor. Finally she waved her hoof dismissively at the princess. “Anyways, let’s get on with tha story. Whut happened next?”