• Published 8th Sep 2012
  • 3,184 Views, 343 Comments

Starlit Knights - BlackRoseRaven



Darkness has come to Equestria, and the world is threatened with destruction. Can Luna stop it?

  • ...
6
 343
 3,184

Meddling And Machinations

Chapter Twenty: Meddling And Machinations
~BlackRoseRaven

Scrivener winced a bit as Luna slowly massaged along his bare back, his armor discarded, resting on the sleeping mat in the secluded comfort of the tent. He breathed slowly in and out, head resting down against a pillow, Luna gazing down at him quietly and the wound on her face healed… but a thin scratch still visible over Scrivy’s own features, as she said quietly: “Thou did a reckless, stupid, silly thing. And I can feel the aches in thy form… thou hast gone and strained thyself again, just as thou did against Sol Seraph.”

“What can I say? I had all your emotions in my dumb body.” Scrivy mumbled, closing his eyes, and Luna smiled softly despite herself, her black pearl quietly bouncing against her chest as she worked her hooves slowly along his shoulders: it was the only thing she was wearing now. “You really don’t have to do this, you know.”

“Oh silence. Besides, thy discomfort is my discomfort…” Luna chastised softly, and Scrivener blushed a little as he buried the side of his face against the pillow. “Thou art brave and a little crazed, Scrivener Blooms. I would have simply given thee wings if I had known thou had the idea in thy head to chase down Ignominious before he could perhaps escape… it would have been the simpler solution.”

“Well, you were busy with the giant snake.” Scrivy said mildly, glancing over at her with a small smile. “Besides, I made it. Barely, but I made it… I guess that sometimes, my body forgets it can’t keep doing what yours does. I’m not as strong as you, and I definitely don’t have the endurance you do. Horses of Heaven you seem limitless sometimes, Luna… even now you’re on your hooves, and I’m flat on my stomach, feeling like my joints are all frozen-up.”

He stopped, then grimaced a bit, adding moodily: “And Charger’s Crossing, well… that might lose us some time. Who knows how much of the bridge was damaged… we’ll have to be careful travelling tomorrow… or today, rather, and you and Twilight will have to use magic to get us across. If you have the energy, Luna…”

“Aye, I should. We still have some time to rest…” Luna hesitated, then she sighed a little and bowed her head forwards, murmuring quietly: “Scrivener Blooms… I knew that creature. Just by gazing upon its face, and I know thou felt the surge of memories too… am I connected in some awful way to these, most terrible beasts of legend? And worse still… what wicked force would delight in tricking Ignominious into thinking such a monster could be controlled? I say the demons of Helheim, but even they would hesitate… aye, many prey upon us, many terrorize us, but ‘tis rare they try to all-and-all destroy us. If there were no mortals upon the world, after all, there would be no creatures for them to feed upon and enjoy the torments of. ‘Tis twisted logic, but… logic, all the same, that even they must nod to.”

Scrivy closed his eyes, resting his head against the pillow as he sifted quietly through thought and memory… both his own, as well as Luna’s. Then he smiled a little as she slid silently downwards, wrapping her forelegs around his neck and pressing her front to his back, curling herself over him as her starry locks tickled past his face and she murmured into his ear: “I love thee, Scrivener Blooms, dearly, direly. And I fear… what I mean for thee.”

“Oh, yes, because between the two of us you’re the less-useful one.” Scrivy said dryly, and Luna grumbled and squeezed him firmly around the neck, the male smiling despite himself before he said softly: “I’d rather live with you like this than anywhere else, Luna. It’s all meaningless without you in my life.”

Luna smiled back, kissing the side of his neck gently before she looked at him curiously as he murmured thoughtfully: “And well… assuming Brynhild was a Valkyrie… and Valkyries, as the legends say, were the guardians of gods… maybe you fought the creature before. Jormungand… you called it a destroyer of worlds. Not that it’ll be destroying anything anytime soon now…”

“Assuming, of course, that its body requires the head to live. We know much of monsters and demons and freaks of the supernatural, but little of gods and their machinations, Scrivener Blooms, they have always been the subject of myth and legend.” Luna said quietly, resting down against him and murmuring: “But I suppose, thinking back, I and my siblings have always… leaned towards the old teachings, of Odin. Aye, that would make sense… oh, Scrivy, here I am, rambling about how this makes sense! What madness has come over me?”

“Life.” Scrivener said simply, and Luna sighed moodily but nodded slowly, grumbling a bit under her breath as she curled herself closer down against him and nuzzled slowly against the back of his neck, and Scrivener laughed a little, feeling the warmth of the black pearl as it heated between their bodies, the male murmuring after a moment: “But it is… something we can maybe use to our advantage. You knew what the monster was… you seemed to know what it would do, what it could do.”

“Aye, true… and that it would feast upon Equestria if freed. But ‘twas only a beast at the end of the day… a great, vicious, hungry beast, but a beast all the same. We were fortunate, perhaps, that it lunged upwards even as its prison door closed… the metaphor, ‘cutting the head off the serpent’ has never proven truer.” Luna muttered, shaking her head slowly before she sighed a little as she glanced upwards moodily. “I wonder if Celestia would have lost to the creature in a battle. I wonder if my memories rang true, or if it was only a false shadow, brought upon by stories and the madness Celestia has inspired me with.”

“Well, we’re all mad here. Discombobulation said that. Probably stole it from something else, but it’s fitting.” Scrivy shrugged a little, then he pushed his back up against Luna as she ground herself gently downwards, rubbing their bodies together as she huffed and dropped her head beside Scrivener’s with a mumble. “And Ignominious…”

She snorted in disgust at this, making a distasteful face. “I hope they drag him back to Helheim and torture him ruthlessly for his failure. But nay, I know well that he will doubtlessly seek us out again… I am only glad that his surprise was not for the encampment, but for us.” She stopped, then shook her head and muttered: “I hold nothing but contempt for him. I feel nothing but contempt for that… weak, pathetic creature. And I loathe myself… for knowing that I may have well played a part in making him what he became.”

She quieted, and then smiled a little when Scrivener nudged her gently, thoughts and images spilling through their minds in a chaotic flow for a moment, along with emotions, both rampant and controlled… and she laughed a little, murmuring: “We are both tired. As always, our minds are… jarring the images. Visceral, raw: they sting, but soothe, like a needle of remedy. Perhaps we just rest… perhaps we should merge into dreams.”

“Every time we dream together it’s kind of horrible, Luna. I’m not saying horrible bad, don’t get me wrong there, but it’s… your memories, my imagination, Nightmare Moon’s passions, all that and more.” Scrivy said finally, and Luna shrugged amiably before she kissed the back of his head, the male rolling his eyes before he muttered: “We also need to be awake in a few hours. Twilight was worried about us when we got back… was even more worried when you told her we needed some quiet time to rest before you tried to explain things. She’s probably outside the tent listening in on us or getting Discombobulation to spy on us or something.”

“I would never spy on you, at least not without your consent. Voyeurism is a psychosexual disorder and a form of paraphilia.” said the calm, familiar voice of the Draconequus, and both Luna and Scrivener glared upwards to see the chimerical creature lounging calmly against the ceiling of the tent in plain defiance of gravity, but a blindfold with white X’s where his eyes were was tightly tied around his head as he sniffed disdainfully. “I don’t like it in here. It smells of… desires, and dreams. Of wanting things, and of awful acts… even worse than physical ones, romance and cuteness, which are by far more disgusting things in and of themselves than anything you can do with your tangled bodies.”

“What are you doing here, then?” Scrivy asked dryly, and then he winced when Luna pulled him protectively closer against her body, shielding him as she glowered moodily at the Draconequus and settled herself more firmly down against the male possessively. “Uh. Luna. You’re squishing me.”

“Be silent, Scrivener Blooms, Twilight Sparkle is trying to figure out ways to steal you away from me, and has obviously sent her minion to bait the trap.” Luna said loudly, and Discombobulation reached up and slowly pulled one half of his blindfold up as he gave her a sour look. “Thou art evil, Bob. None may have him, not even Twilight. He is mine, all mine, my precious little Scrivy.”

For a few moments, Discombobulation only looked at her as the earth pony sighed beneath her, and then the Draconequus said mildly, as if Luna hadn’t spoken: “Twilight Sparkle sent me to ‘keep an eye on you’ as she phrased it. After I informed her that it would be bad manners and rather painful for me to pull someone’s eye out of their socket and stick it to one of you, she became rather infuriated, so I decided to understand her metaphor this one time, as a small token of appreciation to her.”

“See, I was right.” Luna said clearly, straightening slightly as she stroked slowly along Scrivener’s head and looked superiorly up at Discombobulation. “I have seen through thy ways and plan. Out with it, where is Twilight hiding?”

“Luna, you’re just being creepy right now, not funny, if that’s what you’re going for.” Scrivy said dryly, and Luna grumbled under her breath before the earth pony wiggled a bit, and the winged unicorn sighed as she slipped off him with a huff. “So where’s Twilight, then? And when are you going to learn about personal boundaries?”

Discombobulation shrugged moodily, and then he pulled his bandana off, reaching up and unzipping a narrow hole in reality before he stuck his eagle talon through this… and a moment later, dragged a stunned-looking Twilight through the glowing space, dropping her to the ground with a flick of his wrist. “Tada. Two birds with one stone: Twilight Sparkle, Luna is back to being sane and Scrivener Blooms is once more irrational. Luna, here is Twilight Sparkle. And I think this also answers your question about ‘personal boundaries,’ which can never be personal, because you’re always sharing them with someone else. Like everything else that’s ‘personal.’ What a lying word.”

“Do you ever listen to me?” Twilight snapped, glaring over her shoulder as Discombobulation dropped from the ceiling to land beside her, the hole in reality sparking shut above their heads as Luna and Scrivy smiled amusedly at each other.

“I listen to everything you say, Twilight Sparkle. For example…” Discombobulation closed one eye, looking as calm as ever before he spoke in a perfect mimic of Twilight’s voice: “‘I wish I could be as strong as Luna, but I’m not… or as brave as Scrivy. But… I’m not. Everyone thinks so much of me, but if I didn’t always have my friends by my side, supporting me, pushing me to greater things… even back at Canterlot, I always had Princess Celestia to follow, and I worked to impress her… but never went beyond what was expected.’ Etcetera ad nauseum.”

Twilight gaped as Discombobulation cleared his throat, then he said in his own lucid, plain tones: “I’m always listening to you, don’t think I’m not… if I wasn’t, I could never be there for you when you really needed me. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to willy-nilly run around nitpicking every last thing you say. I follow your orders close enough to get the job done, that’s what matters at the end of the day… and look, here we all are together. You’re a happy little strange family, but… I suppose you’re happy, and you’re not hurting anyone, and that’s what matters.”

He paused thoughtfully, studying them as Twilight continued to stare up at him, then the Draconequus turned and strode calmly out of the tent, leaving the violet pony to look after him for a few moments before she sighed and turned her gaze awkwardly to Luna and Scrivy, and the sapphire winged unicorn said seriously: “Thou cannot have my Scrivy. He is mine.”

“I… oh, forget it. I’m just glad to see you two are okay.” Twilight said softly after a moment, stepping forwards and embracing them both, and the two smiled and hugged her tightly in return before she pulled back, gazing quietly from one to the other. “We heard… a tremendous battle going on. And I felt magic, powerful magic… I guess it must have been Helheim’s energies, because Pinkamena got really excited and Discombobulation got really serious. I was scared when… I mean…”

She bit her lip, blushing a bit… and Luna nodded before she said softly: “Worry not, we are alright. Scrivener Blooms merely overexerted himself, and there was a small issue with a large serpent. Ignominious was well-bested, though he may yet return… but he is weakening, I think. Slowly and steadily, we are wearing down the bonds that bind him together, tearing at the seams of his cohesion. Either way, he will not last forever… his benefactors will not generously permit him countless chances to work against us, after all. Either we shall kill him, or they shall.”

Twilight nodded slowly at this, looking from one to the other before she smiled a little and leaned forwards, quietly adjusting Scrivener’s glasses… and the male laughed a little despite himself, giving her a small smile in return. “You do look pretty messy. And you know, I think at this point, I’d be willing to fight an army of Nibelung just to have a bath…”

“Bah, we are clean enough.” Luna said dismissively, waving a hoof airily. “But worry not, once we reach North Neigh, we shall indulge in life’s smaller comforts. Besides, thy energies will be better put to use aiding me in temporary repair of Charger’s Crossing, rather than battling dwarves for water.”

“I… wait, what happened to the bridge?” Twilight asked sharply, frowning and leaning forwards, and Luna looked pointedly at Scrivener Blooms, who blinked, then glared at her.

“Hey, what are you giving me that look for? For one thing, it was Ignominious… for another, it’s far more your fault than it is mine, you were the one playing with Jormungand.” Scrivener said flatly, and Luna grumbled at him in response as Twilight continued to gape at the two. “It wasn’t… entirely destroyed. Like Luna said, it’ll just need some repair work.”

“That was a national landmark! Couldn’t… I… how did that even happen? What did you two do?” Twilight asked in a horrified voice, and Scrivener and Luna both mumbled like children before they winced when the winged unicorn leaned forwards, glaring from one to the other. “If Celestia finds out about this-”

“Oh, threaten us not with my sister’s lecturing, thou art much worse.” Luna grumbled, and Twilight narrowed her eyes at this, which made the sapphire winged unicorn clear her throat. “By which, of course, I obviously mean thou art far more responsible and I am far more willing to listen to thee than mine sister.”

Twilight continued to glower at her, and Luna leaned backwards slightly before she glanced awkwardly over at Scrivener Blooms, asking in a whisper: “Is this how thou feels when I glare at thee? ‘Tis not a good feeling, Scrivy. I do not wish to be pummeled.”

“I’m not going to pummel you, Luna.” Twilight rolled her eyes with a sigh, deflating slightly and looking sourly at the winged unicorn. “But more than a major landmark, that bridge is the only way for a lot of ponies to get across the Northedge Strait. Or was… we can’t just… leave it like that, can we?”

Luna softened a little at this, stepping forwards and saying quietly: “I understand thy feelings, Twilight, believe me, I do. All too well… but nor can we afford to take the time and effort to repair such a monumental structure. We are fortunate, in fact, that the cost was no greater, that parts of the bridge still stand… and that we shall be able to cross come the morrow. But we must move onwards… the caravan cannot sit and wait.”

“Well, what if we go and repair it now? I repaired a dam once… I can’t imagine the process would be much different.” Twilight grimaced a little, shaking her head and saying quietly: “I don’t want to leave people stranded, Luna. I know we have to push forwards to North Neigh, but… do you really think anything serious will attack us tomorrow? Or that a pause to use our powers would really be so costly?”

The winged unicorn hesitated, then Scrivy reached up and touched her shoulder… and for a moment she was silent before muttering under her breath and reaching up to touch her forehead. “I… we may try. But the damage wrought upon the structure is wide, ‘twill be draining. Worse is the composition… ‘tis not merely heavy stone, ‘tis ancient and ‘twas supported upon pillars that stretched down countless feet into the river, many of which have now fallen out of place. I do not know how thou expects to work around this issue.”

“We have to try.” Twilight said softly, and Luna sighed a little, but nodded grudgingly after a moment with a grumble, and the violet winged unicorn smiled before she glanced to the side and said clearly: “Discombobulation, I may need… I mean, I would like your help with this. Or at least a suggestion.”

There was only silence in return, however, and Twilight grumbled a bit to herself before she glanced at Luna, who only shrugged. She still looked pessimistic, but all the same seemed unwilling to refuse Twilight… and Scrivy smiled despite himself, knowing it was because for a moment she had remembered all the times in the past Celestia had turned her down, for better or worse, when she had just wanted to help.

They made their way quietly through the mostly-silent encampment, returning to the bridge… and they were both surprised to find Ross and Cowlick already standing at the riverbank, the earth pony grinning over her shoulder as she said amusedly: “If this is the kind of party you throw, Luna, remind me never to piss you off.”

“’Tis perhaps four in the morn, Cowlick, thou should be sleeping with the others. As should thou, Ross.” Luna replied dryly, looking from one to the other moodily… but when Cowlick only shrugged, she sighed a bit, looking instead towards Twilight… who was gaping at the sight of the warped, mostly-collapsed visible bridge. Entire large sections had broken away, pillars leaned wildly here and there, and it lay in various states of half-collapse and toppled, shattered glory, an immense, ruined causeway that had been devastated by Jormungand and worsened by the ebb and flow of both river and ice.

“You gotta straighten it out. Straighten it out first.” Ross said kindly before anypony could speak, and Luna frowned a bit before glancing at Cowlick curiously as she nodded and smiled a little.

“The colt’s right. Straighten it out, assess the damage and the holes, and stop those pillars from listing any further or the bridge from twisting. Looking at the way it’s all cracked up, it was probably originally built in sections I’d say… Ross, what do you say?”

“Forty feet by fifty feet by thirty feet, rectangles, but the front rectangles are smaller, those are the middle rectangles, the body rectangles.” Ross paused for a long moment, then he glanced towards Cowlick and smiled as she reached up and tenderly brushed a hoof through his mane. “That’s why the pillars are spaced like that, I bet. With big spaces and then little spaces.”

“See, he knows his hay from his horseapples. Besides, we can’t leave this big old bridge like this, right?” Cowlick gave Luna a knowing look, and Luna gave a grumble but then finally nodded moodily. “Good. Ross, you give ‘em a hoof too. Let him help, he’s not as powerful as you two but he does at least have an idea of what to do.”

Luna grunted, but she didn’t argue even as Twilight frowned a little… but as Luna lowered her head, Twilight did the same, and Ross smiled, the unicorn lowering his own head forwards as he said quietly: “You gotta straighten them out first. Don’t let them freeze that way… let them freeze after they’re straightened out.”

At first it made no sense… but as Luna and Twilight used their magic to begin moving the pillars – half-following Ross’s instincts as the unicorn hummed a little and unknowingly acted as a guide – and straightened them slowly back into place, even as several sections of broken bridge further collapsed into the water, others fell back into place, cracked and damaged but almost miraculously staying upright and firm. Pillars ground into hidden depths and secret bases in the deep, wide strait, and fell into place… and Luna caught quickly on, freezing the water around the pillars they straightened, making stable, floating bases that helped lock the bridge into place as Ross murmured: “Fix what’s broken, when I had parents, that’s what my parents always said. Fix what’s broken Ross, fix what’s broken first…”

Ross began to stride forwards… and Luna flicked her horn with a grimace, the icy water hardening further as she and Twilight followed him, Ross frowning with effort as he began to repair small cracks around the pillars and over the bridge… and Twilight smiled faintly despite herself, closing her eyes, using her own magic to seal much larger cracks in the main body of the bridge closed, lifting chunks of fallen stone and locking them back into place like puzzle pieces. Cracks vanished and stone repaired itself as Luna froze the strait further and stretched pillars of ice up to the base of the bridge, hardening it into place as Scrivener Blooms and Cowlick followed behind the three.

The engineer grinned a little, whistling a bit to herself as they walked through the darkness over the ice, Ross half-directing the others as Luna spread ice through the wounds in the bridge, and Twilight gritted her teeth, making the ice crackle and then transform, frozen water turning into solid stone as Cowlick muttered: “Damn unicorns… damn lucky Ross. Look at that, turning water into stone, how the hell does that even work? Bridge ain’t gonna look very pretty when it’s done but…”

Then she whistled as Luna arched her back, eyes closed, and an entire pillar of ice transformed into blue stone, radiant light sparking off this as Luna grunted and Scrivener winced a little, feeling the length of it expanding downwards as Twilight flicked her own horn… and a pillar that had fallen out of place was dragged forcefully upwards, ripping through the ice in a spray of water as it locked firmly back beneath the bridge to Ross’s delighted laughter before ice rapidly formed around it and helped seal it into place.

Scrivy glanced curiously at Cowlick, tilting his head as he asked: “Ross is lucky? The poor guy was used as a thrall by a cult because he’s a little…”

“Addled? Sure, but dude’s far from retarded, too.” Cowlick shrugged, grinning a little as she looked at him. “Handsome, lives in blissful ignorance, doesn’t philosophize about it or feel the need to, either, unlike you goddamn smart-types. Real talented, probably better at magic than most would give the poor slob credit for or he even seems to know himself, and now he’s got a hot mare looking out for him. To me, that sounds pretty damn lucky at the end of the day.”

Scrivener grunted a little, looking meditative before he bowed his head forwards, concentrating, sharing strength and focus with Luna as she bowed her head back, horn glowing brightly as heavy sheets of ice stretched into a large gap between one section of the bridge and another, transforming afterwards into crystalline stone… and then he grimaced a bit and twitched, Cowlick frowning a bit before the male gave an awkward smile. “No, sorry. I’m not disagreeing, but Luna and I were drained from the fight. Rebuilding things… even if she’s doing it by making ice, then transforming one object into another… it’s a little taxing.”

“Well, you two broke it, you gotta fix it, just like Ross said.” Cowlick replied easily, nudging him playfully before she frowned a bit as she leaned forwards and inspected him slowly. “Dude, she and you move the moon. How hard can this be compared to that?”

“The moon already exists, it just needs to be moved… guided.” Scrivy replied dryly, glancing towards the unicorns with a wince. “Actually making something from nothing, well. That’s a little different.”

Cowlick nodded thoughtfully, looking ahead and saying musingly: “Never thought of it that way before… I get it, it’s already real cold and there’s already lots of water, thus, ice. And Luna’s good at transforming stuff into other stuff, right? Like Rainbow Dash into Rainbow Dude.”

“Like Rainbow Dash into Rainbow Dude.” Scrivener gave Cowlick an amused look at this, then he closed his eyes as he heard a mental order from Luna, saying mildly: “Excuse me for a moment.”

Scrivy turned forwards, then half-bowed towards the ice beneath his hooves, breathing slowly as he dropped his head, feeling his heart, his mind, his soul falling automatically into time with Luna’s as she moved in time with him, mirrored him despite being a good twenty feet away… and then they both arched their backs as one, both releasing slow, easy breaths as their minds worked together, as their spirits worked as a singular force as Luna’s horn glowed brighter… before an immense platform of ice and rock exploded upwards from the frozen strait, rumbling into place in the last large gap between either section of the bridge on wide, thick pillars of frost that crackled and rumbled before they rapidly became crystalline. The ice glowed as it hardened and then transformed, becoming blue rock that sealed itself against the rest of the bridge, a little uneven, a little messy in places… but all the same, locking into place as Luna and Scrivy both breathed slowly and straightened, shaking their heads and moving unknowingly in time before they both smiled… and Cowlick stared at the earth pony, flabbergasted, before she asked dumbly: “Did you… did you just do that?”

“Yes, Cowlick, I just…” Scrivener paused, then he only sighed, dropping his head and muttering: “Actually, I’m too tired now to give much of a sarcastic response for once in my life. That’s… just what happens when Luna and I work together. It’s… more than twice the power, more than twice the energy, more than twice the effect, and it puts half the burden on her and half the strain on me, making it easier to do big feats of magic, too.”

“A serious answer from you of all ponies, you must be exhausted. Good news, though, looks like it’s repaired, or at least mostly…” Cowlick whistled a bit again to herself, muttering: “God, if only I’d had a few good unicorns on the work crew in Manehatten, could have built a whole damn city block in the time it took them to put together one good shed. Hey, Ross, good work, now come on back here!”

“Okay.” Ross said cheerfully, and he turned and trotted peacefully towards the earth ponies with a smile on his face as the winged unicorns dragged themselves behind the male, Luna looking exhausted and Twilight Sparkle smiling even through her own obvious tiredness.

“This is perhaps why Celestia always warned me against being too broad in my desires to help others, in the old days.” Luna muttered, and she grimaced as she straightened, starry locks fizzing a bit around her. “Wretched Twilight Sparkle. Wretched Cowlick. I knew that to repair this ridiculous bridge, ‘twould be draining and awful. And it was. It was indeed draining and awful, and I swear that should a single pony complain tomorrow about the travel over Charger’s Crossing, I shall toss the offender into the strait and they shall swim through the icy water.”

“But we did a good thing, Luna. Ponies can cross now… and if there is something up north, it’s important we keep the routes open, isn’t it?” Twilight looked at questioningly, and Luna groaned loudly but nodded resentfully. “And I… okay, it took a lot more out of me than I’d thought, because we had to create and transfigure so much, but… we might save lives. Isn’t that what’s important?”

“Oh quiet, thou reminds me of me. And worse yet, that puts me in the position of being Celestia, which I direly do not wish to be in.” Luna said grouchily, and Twilight smiled before she stepped up beside the winged unicorn and pressed their sides together, nuzzling her affectionately and making Luna grumble, but smile a little as she half-arched herself away. “Meddlesome creature.”

The violet pony only smiled a little, stretching her wings and rolling her head on her shoulders, and they joined the others, the group of five gazing over the bridge for a few moments, the handiwork of patchwork blue and white stone amidst the ashen gray… and then Cowlick smiled at them, saying easily: “Ross and me are gonna wander the bridge a little, you cool with that? Don’t worry, we’ll come back to camp soon, but I wanted to take a look over this structure, see what I could see, and now I guess there’s actually a point to it instead of just wanting to indulge my need to puzzle out every little thing I come across.”

Luna grunted and nodded after a moment, replying softly: “Very well, Cowlick, but ensure thou will be rested enough for today. I shall perhaps let the troops linger again, but not as long as before… we must ensure we reach at least Snow Saddle, if not push on into the barrens beyond by nightfall.”

Cowlick nodded and saluted, and Ross smiled and nodded brightly, the unicorn saying happily: “It’s a pretty bridge. Pretty bridges are always the easiest ones to cross.”

Luna looked amusedly at the creature, but she only smiled and nodded before turning and leading the way back towards the camp, as Scrivener Blooms and Twilight Sparkle fell into step on either side of her… and when they reached their tent, Luna flopped down on the bedding and yawned loudly as Twilight and Scrivy both dropped themselves to either side of her, resting close as Luna murmured: “’Tis funny to see Cowlick with such a tender heart. But I suppose she has always been generous, beneath the bits of metal lodged in her body. Tell me, Scrivener Blooms, how would I look with such adornments?”

“I’m not answering that question, because either answer results in me being hit or you purposefully take whatever else I say the wrong way. Which also gets me hit.” Scrivy said tiredly, and then he grumbled when Luna elbowed him lightly even as she snuggled back against him. “There, see?”

“Please don’t turn into Cowlick, Luna. You’re already plenty scary.” Twilight added, and then she snorted when Luna huffed and hit her lightly as well before dropping her head forwards against her mane. “Well, sorry, but you and I both know it’s kind of true.”

“Aye, but there is no need to say it.” Luna complained, grumbling as she buried her face against Twilight’s dark locks, and Twilight smiled a little, closing her eyes as one of Luna’s forelegs wrapped around her and pulled her a bit closer. “I am tired. I am sleeping now. And I shall inflict great pain upon thee both if either of thee moves away before I give my permission.”

Twilight nodded as Scrivener grumbled a little against Luna’s back, even as he curled himself a bit closer… and for a little while, there was silence, the three dozing together in quiet and comfort as Twilight’s mind wandered through dreams and memories, thinking of everywhere she had been, everything she had experienced, the way she had grown and changed and the events that had all helped shape her into who she had become.

Then she yawned a bit as something squeezed her gently, before she winced as a voice that wasn’t Luna’s whispered quietly into her ear: “I wonder if Celestia watches us at times like this. I wonder how jealous my dear sister gets… but then again, she’s never been like me, always a little too… distant. Ponies have always tried to hide their true desires in the darkness, not share them in the light, like they know it’s safe to be themselves only in my embrace…”

Twilight looked down, the strong limb wrapped around her more than touched with darkness, but painted with it… and when she gazed over her shoulder, she saw cyan eyes with sharp, slit-like pupils that gazed down at her with both possessiveness and tenderness. The eyes of Nightmare Moon, the face of Nightmare Moon, as Twilight asked hesitantly: “Luna?”

“No, no, Luna’s asleep, dear one.” Nightmare Moon replied kindly, and then she laughed softly before she slowly rose up to her hooves… and behind her, Scrivener Blooms yawned before his eyes opened… and looked up without fear or surprise at the mighty, dark equine that regally stood and straightened, as grand as Celestia, almost too large for the tent to contain her, as her starry mane floated eerily around her body. “Darling husband.”

“So Luna really did exhaust herself, and you’ve decided to take the chance to slip forwards…” Scrivy yawned a little again as he stood up, and then he smiled a little at her as calmly as if this were any other morning, glancing over her and saying quietly: “We have to lower the moon. We must almost be running late.”

“Very well, I suppose I should. If only more ponies could be like you two… admirers of our gorgeous night.” She paused thoughtfully, arching her back for a moment, long black horn almost touching the top of the tent before she leaned down and half-lidded her eyes at Twilight, who still gazed nervously upwards. “And you must cease to look at me so, Twilight Sparkle. It’s like you forget how important you are to us both… we may not value you as deeply as we do our precious Scrivener Blooms, but you are a treasure we feel great pride for all the same… after all, we were once enemies. To have you so close to us after how we first met… it brings both Luna and myself great pleasure and satisfaction.”

Nightmare Moon reached forwards, gently stroking under Twilight’s muzzle, and the violet winged unicorn blushed a little before she said apprehensively: “It’s not that… it’s just… I mean, the others…”

“Oh very well.” Nightmare Moon closed her eyes, bowing her head forwards, and her body glowed brightly before it shrank down, taking on Luna’s frame and form… but when her eyes opened, they were still the eyes of Nightmare Moon, her expression was still subtly craftier: in a strange way more beautiful, in a hidden way more cruel. “For you, and for Scrivener Blooms, we shall disguise our true nature. But until Luna awakens, I shall retain control and keep things moving forwards, so she may rest her weary mind.”

She paused, then gave a kind, tender smile to the earth pony, adding softly: “Worry not, dearest husband… she is fine. Only tired after so many stresses, and she needs time to get her memories in order… I think you feel them, don’t you? Ticking quietly away, the pieces rising as if from the depths of the ocean, surfacing slowly, but surfacing all the same. Memories are buoyant: they must always naturally rise up.”

Nightmare Moon smiled at him, gazing over him in a way that was hungry, almost predatory, and the male gave her an awkward smile in return before she rolled her head slowly on her shoulders, horn glowing and pieces of her discarded armor rising into the air as she said kindly: “Twilight Sparkle, my sweet. It is time to begin rousing the troops. We shall push them hard today… not for our sake, but their own. Luna forgets that unnecessary kindness can lead all too often to unnecessary weakness.”

Twilight grimaced a little, but knew better than to argue as she nodded awkwardly and turned around, heading silently out of the tent, and Nightmare Moon gazed affectionately after her before she began to slowly, regally slip her way into her armor. Scrivy turned to gather up his own, but the female only gave a soft laugh, asking kindly: “No, no, beloved, don’t be silly. I shall aid you… I shall always aid my handsome husband.”

Scrivy gave her a look that was both entertained and discomfited as he said carefully: “You remember those talks we had before about control, right?”

“And you know that I only mean the best for you. I treat you like a king, do I not?” Nightmare Moon’s tone was playful… and as always, far more dangerous than Luna’s, as she slipped closer towards him even as her armor continued to gently lock and band itself into place over her body. “I do not understand what is so bad about me wanting to help you with everything… about my offers and my kindness. You call me perverse and dark… and yet you always do it with such a teasing gleam in your eye.”

She leaned forwards, looking coy, almost-mocking… but what sometimes scared Scrivener most of all was that Nightmare Moon would never mock him. Even though she seemed to hold ultimate power over him, always doing every last little thing for him, all-but-carrying him gladly along… for all her absolute dominance and control, it was clear that if he wanted to, he could easily pull her strings. And she knew it… and seemed to even enjoy it.

Nightmare Moon, manifestation of Luna’s inner darkness… and such deep inner darkness it was, as she gazed at him affectionately as her horn glowed a bit brighter, carefully beginning to slip armor lovingly over Scrivy’s body. She was self-serving even when generous, she was proud even when she seemed to humble herself… she was like power and passion channeled into a living, breathing form. She was Luna, and she was not… and Scrivy hesitated for a few moments before he finally asked quietly: “The memories of Brynhild…”

“Such a bloodbath.” Nightmare Moon laughed quietly, looking strangely exhilarated as Scrivy winced a bit… but he didn’t know if it was because of the thrum of excitement he felt from her, or the interest that flared up in his own body. “Yes, beloved. I have spent much time receded because I have spent much time in the subconscious, twisting and twining amidst these memories, where I have left little Luna to wend her way through. She will awaken more as well, as she explores and accepts her past…

“It is the truth. We know it is the truth, it is just difficult to accept for Luna: a past beyond her already-faded memories of the past, and what hurts her more is that Celestia always knew they were never true siblings. It hurts her almost as much as how even now we cannot bear a foal… but at the same time, it gives us hope. The past is often the key to the future.” Nightmare Moon paused as she fitted the last of the armor on, then she leaned forwards and traded a short, gentle kiss with Scrivy, the male feeling a little awkward as always at such contact with this darker part of Luna’s soul, much as he found her… terribly alluring, in a way, as well. “Now come. We end glorious night, and let Celestia bring rise to the loneliness of sunlit day.”

Scrivy nodded, and Nightmare Moon smiled at him before she glanced down with a quiet laugh as Sammy nervously chirped up at her, the winged unicorn saying kindly: “Do not be silly, thrall Samael. I shall not hurt you. I cannot bear to bring pain to the heart of my precious treasure.”

Sammy chirped nervously again, then skittered backwards and quickly climbed up onto Scrivy’s back, pawing at the back of his mane apprehensively as Nightmare Moon laughed softly and shook her head, pushing her way out of the tent. The earth pony sighed but followed, and then he winced a bit when Nightmare Moon only flicked her horn, the tent rapidly beginning to collapse as their sleeping mats and other odds and ends from inside rolled themselves up and neatly began to pile themselves, Scrivener saying awkwardly: “I can-”

“You can, yes, but you don’t need to, my precious treasure. Allow me… it is but a gesture.” Nightmare Moon replied kindly, and then she glanced up at the moon and smiled slightly, her horn giving another faint glow as she only bowed her head slightly… and the ivory sphere responded, seeming to thrum before it slowly sank down and passed beyond the horizon, the winged unicorn’s eyes glowing eerily in the shadowy darkness that overcame the world for a few moments before the sun began to slowly rise. “Sister is so eager… she waited every morning to raise her glorious sun. She never liked the fact we were able to raise the moon, either… she is not fond of it. She prefers the stars and the empty night sky… they are like her, distant and cold. The moon is a purifier, a diluter… it takes the sun’s poisonous rays, and makes them into calm glory.”

Nightmare Moon halted, looking thoughtfully at the ground for a moment before she smiled and glanced up as several ponies approached: Pinkamena, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash, the dull-gray earth pony saying distastefully: “Well, what fresh hell are we up for today Night…”

Her words fell slack as she looked at the winged unicorn, who smiled back, her eyes almost glowing, and Pinkamena seemed to pale a little before she cleared her throat, the others staring at her before Pinkie Pie winced and fidgeted, bouncing on the spot as she seemed to understand while the others only gaped as Pinkamena mumbled: “Sorry. What I meant to say was uh… we… were just curious about what we were doing today.”

“Also it’s really early.” Rainbow Dash said helpfully, and then he winced when both Pinkie and Pinkamena glared at him over their shoulders pointedly. The Pegasus grumbled a bit, then looked up and met Luna’s eyes… and his own irises slowly widened as he seemed to understand who he was looking at, wincing a little. “Uh… Luna?”

“No, you know better than that, Rainbow Dash… we’ve only met once since that fateful day in the Everfree Forest, but I know I left an impression on you.” Nightmare Moon said kindly, and Rainbow Dash nodded and bowed his head forwards, leaving Applejack frowning… but then she quickly seemed to put everything together, grimacing and bowing her own head. “I know you and your friends aren’t overly fond of me… but Luna needs sleep. So you’ll all listen well, won’t you, my treasures? But do not fear… the Starlit Knights are mine, after all. I would never harm what is mine… not even those Pegasus Guard who Celestia has sent with us.”

She smiled with strange affection, glancing upwards for a moment before looking towards Pinkamena, her voice scintillating, kind: “To answer your question, half-demon, we will be marching over Charger’s Crossing, and from there, we will head to Snow Saddle. We will push towards the barrens today… we may push through the awful terrain tonight, after we have time to assess and Luna is more awake. She worries for her treasures… I sometimes forget that not all are as hardy as ponies of the past.”

The four nodded ,and Pinkie Pie and Pinkamena shared an awkward look before the bouncy, fluffy pink pony glared pointedly at Pinkamena, who grimaced and glowered at her in response before Pinkie jerked her head several times towards the winged unicorn, who looked curious… and Pinkamena sighed, rolling her eyes before she looked forwards and said moodily: “Sissy swears up and down that she saw Velites last night. I think she’s just lying for attention or for a flank-pat because she likes being the center of her own little universe.”

“But while I was walkin’ around this morning and cleaning up, I found tracks. Hoof tracks, but real light, real clumped-up. Don’t think they were from any of our boys because they were back away from the campsite.” Applejack added, jerking her head towards the forest. “I can’t say for sure, but…”

“You have a suspicion. Yes, it would not surprise me.” Nightmare Moon said thoughtfully, looking over the four with a gentle smile, even as her eyes glowed with both affection and dangerousness. “We shall count our soldiers this morning to ensure none are missing, then… if not, they were only scouts, and now long gone. I do not expect them to trouble us… they are weak and without a leader, without the mortar that holds them together, now that Veliuona is gone. The dead walk, but their walk will be aimless… although perhaps I should practice mercy, what do you think, treasures? They must follow a leader. I am a strong leader.”

The others winced but stayed silent, and then Scrivy said quietly: “Maybe for now we should just continue on our way. Worry about other things… as the time comes.”

“Yes, of course. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, assemble the soldiers and do a head count. Scrivener Blooms and I will be waiting and watching… hurry on your tasks now, my children.” Nightmare Moon’s voice was soft, loving, but it was also obviously an order… and the four ponies nodded, not even Pinkamena daring to test the patience of the darkness that lurked in Luna’s form as she smiled after them. “Good.”

Even if only a handful of ponies actually knew what was going on, everypony else seemed to understand that there was a lurking shadow in the air, a pall of seriousness that drove them to working quickly to take down the encampment, store everything away, and prepare to move out. Everypony was accounted for, and within twenty minutes, they were back on the road, Nightmare Moon and Scrivener Blooms walking at the head of the caravan, Twilight Sparkle following a few awkward paces behind with Fluttershy and Scarlet Sage.

The filly glanced nervously up at the others, sensing something in quiet as they strode down the road towards Charger’s Crossing… and then she darted ahead, Twilight wincing a bit as Scarlet Sage fell into pace next to Nightmare Moon and looked up at her, the winged unicorn gazing down with her glowing eyes. For a moment, they studied each other, and then Scarlet Sage blushed a little and said hesitantly: “I didn’t… realize…”

“It is okay, my sweet little foal. Walk beside me… I enjoy your company. You know that for all the rumors, I would never harm a single hair of your mane…” Nightmare Moon smiled benevolently, and Scarlet Sage nodded and blushed a bit, glancing awkwardly ahead even as she sidled a little closer. “Good girl.”

Scarlet Sage had seen and even spent time with Nightmare Moon before, just like any other pony who knew Luna for an extended period of time ended up seeing more than flashes, but eventually meeting this dark part of her personality, and often in full physical form. But Nightmare Moon had never scared her, not since Luna had rescued her… not since understanding the way Nightmare Moon cherished ponies who Luna cared for, and who cared for Luna and her beautiful, vast night.

And even without being connected as he was to Luna, Scrivy knew that in Scarlet Sage, Nightmare Moon saw more than just a little filly Luna cared for… she perhaps saw a student, especially now that they had discovered the Pegasus filly was also a Blood Seer. And, terrible as it was, he didn’t know whether it was good or bad… before he glanced up as Nightmare Moon glanced over at him and said tenderly: “Is it good or bad for the wolves to teach their pups to hunt, to use their fangs and claws? Is it good or bad that the basilisk helps its young understand that they are creatures which may petrify with a focused gaze? It merely is. Somepony has to teach her to use these powers, and if Luna continues to shy away, then it will be me… and Scarlet Sage is better off learning about them than shying away from their use, until she begins to accidentally dip into her talent at even the smell of blood in the air.”

Scarlet Sage blushed a bit, but then she nodded awkwardly as she looked down, even as Twilight and Fluttershy traded a worried look behind the ponies… but Nightmare Moon only smiled tenderly at the foal, then looked back ahead towards Charger’s Crossing as they approached the enormous bridge, saying quietly: “Helheim’s essence still tickles here and there, and the temperature is plummeting… the bridge will be cold. Scarlet Sage, head back to the Pegasus wagon and snuggle up inside, we will speak more upon the other side of the Strait.”

“Can I walk for a little while longer?” the filly asked quietly, looking up at Nightmare Moon hesitantly… and the winged unicorn gazed down for a moment, then smiled lovingly down at her, looking pleased. “Thanks, I… I like being with you and uncle Scrivy and Twilight and everypony. It feels weird being cooped up in the wagon.”

“You are a strange child, but this is good, this is admirable.” Nightmare Moon murmured, and then she smiled and gazed ahead as they began to stride up the ramp leading onto the stone bridge, and Scrivener Blooms felt both warmth and suspicion twist through this body as he glanced towards Nightmare Moon… who only slowly turned her head to look back at him with dark-kissed affection, her eyes half-lidding, a smile playing around her lips as she said softly: “Don’t worry, husband, you have every right to worry just a little. I cannot deny that I have plans, after all… but know that all is for the better. All is for the future.”

And then Nightmare Moon laughed, throwing her head back as they continued along the stone structure, not slowing, not waiting, even as the wagons struggled up the ramping surface behind them, striding ever onwards into the cold winds that hissed along the bridge across the vast, frozen waters below.