• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 15,135 Views, 814 Comments

Mare of Steel - iowaforever

  • ...
20
 814
 15,135

Part 1, Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It was Wednesday, and Rainbow Dash was doing what she enjoyed most: sleeping in. Her covers had been pulled over her head, completely cutting her off from the rest of the world. As Tank usually followed the same sleep patterns, she did not have to worry about tending to him for a few more minutes.

She was dreaming again, this time of fields of crystals and spires. She was flying, zooming between giant natural arches and racing over lakes as clear as glass. She spiraled through the air and shot upwards, racing into the clouds with blistering speed. She smiled as she climbed, the wind rushing past her ears... to the sound of somepony knocking on her door.

Rainbow Dash blinked and looked up. The knocking persisted and she climbed out of bed. “Okay, okay, I’m coming. Jeez, don’t you ponies know I like sleeping in on Wednesdays?” She sighed and entered her hallway, the knocking continued even as she drew closer “Unless something really bad is happening, you better have a good reason for waking me up.”

Standing at the door was not another Pegasus, but a very familiar lavender unicorn. And she did not look happy.

“Twilight? How’d you get up here?”

“Balloon and cloud walk spell.” Twilight said “Rainbow Dash, we need to talk.”

“Uh, okay. Could it have waited until I woke up on my own?”

“No.

“What is it? Is Ponyville in danger?”

“I’m not sure yet. I want to talk about Supermare.” there was a pause.

“... What do you expect me to know?”

“A lot more than you’re telling us.” Twilight advanced towards Rainbow Dash, the Pegasus backing up to keep her distance from her friend “Why didn’t you show up at the ceremony?”

“Uh, I wasn’t interested. Besides, you told me not to do anything stupid, so I decided not to go so I didn’t do anything stupid.”

“You weren’t interested by one of the greatest concentrations of ponies in Ponyville since the last Summer Sun Celebration?”

“Yeah.”

“You, the pony that spends her entire day showing off for everypony to see, weren’t interested?”

“Hey, that’s not true. I hang out with you guys all the time and I don’t try to attract attention then.”

“True. And what about when you came home; you disappear, and then when some new mare with weird powers shows up, you arrive soon afterwards.”

“So?”

“‘So’? You are connected to her in some way.”

“What? And you said I failed logic.”

“This is perfectly logical; She’s never around when you are, and you vanish whenever she shows up. You didn’t
get confrontational when we mentioned her, and she said she held no ill will towards you when we talked to her during the ceremony.”

“Well, better that than trying to kill me.”

“Care to explain how she met you when you two are never in the same place at the same time?”

“Sure. She’s an old friend of mine.” Twilight paused, then glared at Rainbow Dash.

“Really?”

“Yeah. We used to live next to each other when we were kids. She... never told me about the superpowers and stuff.”

“Then how come Fluttershy doesn’t know about her?”

“She moved to Manehattan when I was five. We lost track of each other until the whole thing with the rock.” there was a long pause before Twilight spoke.

“You’re lying.”

“Why should I be lying? Because you want to find something wrong? Because you want to understand something that you should leave alone?” Now it was Twilight’s turn to back up.

“I-I never-”

“What was that you said about not wanting us to get all that attention? You said it’d ruin our lives because nopony would ever leave us alone. Isn’t that what you’re trying to do now: expose some pony that’s trying to do some good in this world just so you can be right?”

“I-I wasn’t going to-”

“Sure, you say that now. But somepony would find out, and then she’ll never have anything resembling privacy again. She’d become a shut in worse than Fluttershy, and then she’d never help anypony again. Is that what you want? Do you want to ruin her life?”

“N-no.”

“You want the truth? I don’t know anything about Supermare, and I don’t want to. I’m willing to let her have obscurity and run around in a suit and cape, but obviously you don’t want that. Is that it? You’re only tolerant of heroes if they’re somepony you know?”

“I never said that-"

“You always tell me that I'm the one who gets jealous and judgemental, but it seems that the only pony here that is jealous,” Rainbow Dash pointed her hoof at Twilight “Is you.” There was another long pause. Small tears began to pool under Twilight’s eyes, and she began to shuffle.

“I... I just wanted to know who she was... maybe learn more about where she was from... I-I never wanted to hurt anypony...”

“Hey Twilight,” Rainbow flew over and wrapped a foreleg around Twilight “Don’t be like that. Yeah, you probably meant well but you got too big on the facts and stuff. I mean, if I had a bunch of superpowers I wouldn’t tell anypony until I was sure I could trust them.” She turned Twilight towards her “Maybe that’s what you have to do; back off and let her trust you.”

“... Maybe you’re right.”

“Yeah, I think I am right this time. You know what, just go home and relax; maybe go join Rarity and Fluttershy for their spa trip. Just don’t worry about superheroes.”

“Okay.” Twilight turned to leave “I’m sorry I accused you of hiding something.”

“That’s okay. See you later.” Rainbow Dash waved as Twilight walked back to her balloon. Once the unicorn was out of sight, Rainbow Dash closed the door and collapsed.

“That was too close... Twilight might catch on again, so I’ll have to get creative.” Rainbow Dash yawned and stood up.

“But I think I want to finish sleeping first.”

................

The next few days went by without incident. Twilight did avoid Rainbow Dash for awhile, but whatever animosity that was developing between the two did dissolve over time. Talk of Supermare also died down, and by Saturday more ponies were focused on the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration than superheroes.

Pinkie Pie, however, had other plans.

Rainbow Dash was napping in one of Applejack’s trees when she felt something tugging at her tail. She opened her eyes and saw the pink pony staring back up at her, several bags draped across her back.

“Pinkie, what’s up?”

“You are, but I need your help.”

“Okay, what do you need?”

“Well, I was poking around the Cake’s storerooms and I found this.” Pinkie pulled out a small flask of glue “and then I got to thinking that since you’ve been gone things have been kinda quiet around here except for the superheroes but that’s something else entirely and I was thinking maybe you and I could go out and make these ponies a little happier.”

“So... pranks?”

“Yup.” Rainbow Dash smiled; it had been awhile since she had done any pranks, and now was her chance to see if she still had it in her. She jumped out of the tree and landed in front of Pinkie.

“Okay, how are we gonna do it?”

“That’s my surprise for you. You go and distract everypony and I’ll get everything set up.”

“Okay, how do I distract them? Sonic Rainboom?”

“I was thinking you’d dress up as Supermare.” Rainbow Dash blinked.

“Uh... what?”

“Everypony kinda expects you to do super-amazing stunt stuff, but nopony expects Supermare, so if you dressed up like her then they’d follow you.”

“But, I mean, we look nothing alike. She’s got tan fur and I’m, well, blue.”

“I figured that out too.” Pinkie rummaged around in one of her bags and pulled two bottles of mane dye out “It washes out, but you’ll look like her.”

“Okay. But I don’t have a costume-”

“I’ve got that too.” Pinkie continued rummaging and pulled out a suit and cape very similar to the one Rainbow Dash usually wore.

“Uh... How’d you get this?”

“I wanted to play superhero with the Cake Twins, but I didn’t have a costume, so I asked Rarity to make one for me. She even made wings and everything!”

“That’s pretty cool,” Rainbow Dash chuckled “Okay, I’ll go get dressed and we’ll get started.”

“Okie-Dokie Loki!” and Pinkie Pie bounced off. Rainbow Dash rolled up the costume and the mane dyes and took off towards her house.

I could use this stuff... but then I actually have a suit that can do all this without having to uses dyes and stuff... she shrugged. And should I even do pranks as Supermare? If I’m trying to be some kind of big role model then it won’t look good if I start harassing ponies... Well, maybe one or two little pranks wouldn’t hurt. Yeah, just to show them I do have a sense of- Hey, is that Trixie? Rainbow Dash stopped for a moment and squinted. It was Trixie, but something had changed; she now wore a black bodysuit beneath her wizard costume, and her eyes looked more sinister and cruel than haughty.

“This won’t end well. I guess Pinkie’s distraction will involve Supermare after all.” Rainbow Dash sped up and headed back to her home.

..............

Trixie trotted into town square, the place of her first great humiliation. She was a changed mare now, one whose mind had been opened to all possible powers. She smiled: today was a day that nopony would ever forget, and it would be the day that Trixie truly cemented her status as The Great and Powerful.

“Citizens of Ponyville!” she shouted, drawing the eyes of almost everypony present “You wronged me once, when you turned and drove me away! But now, Trixie has returned to show you all that she is not a mare to be wronged. However, she is not without mercy; surrender yourselves to me and admit you were wrong in throwing me out, and I will allow you to live out your lives in peace.”

“If you’re asking these ponies to bow down to you,” a voice said from behind Trixie “I’m afraid we’re going to have a few disagreements.” Trixie turned and saw Supermare, the pony hovering with her forelegs crossed.

“Oh, look who decided to show up.” Trixie chuckled “You can be and example to these ponies and be the first to surrender to me!” She leveled her horn and fired a blast at her opponent, but the Pegasus effortlessly dodged and landed.

“We don’t have to do this. I could snap you in half with my bare hooves, but I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Yes, we don’t have to do this. You can surrender!” Trixie fired another blast, Supermare again dodging and taking to the air again.

“I’m warning you, Trixie. Cease this now or I will have to subdue you.”

“‘Subdue me’? Try subduing this!” Trixie’s horn began to glow, energy swirling around her as her spell built up power. At first nothing happened, but soon the ground began to shake as something made its way towards Ponyville.

All the present ponies turned towards the Everfree Forest and saw a giant mass of purple marching out of the woods. It had a bear-like shape, and it was flecked with small pinpoints of light meant to look like the stars. The creature paused for a moment to determine it’s location before continuing on.

“Let’s see how well you stand against the might of a bull Ursa Major, Supermare!”

............

For the first time since she had put on the suit, Rainbow Dash was actually worried. Giant robot dragons were one thing, but an Ursa Major was something else entirely; no weak points, no power sources, just astral energy, bone and muscle. Yes, Rainbow Dash was probably stronger than the Princesses, but Princess Celestia had nearly died when she faced off against an Ursa shortly after the Nightmare Moon Incident.

Pull yourself together, Rainbow... You can do this.

“What’s the matter, Supermare?” Trixie called “Scared?”

“Hardly.” Rainbow Dash raced forward, her right forehoof aimed at the Ursa. The massive bear spotted this and rose up to attack, but this only gave Rainbow Dash a larger target. She slammed into the Ursa at high speed, the sound of the collision echoing across Ponyville. The bear staggered and collapsed, roaring in a mix of pain and rage.

Rainbow Dash hovered over the Ursa, waiting to see how it would react. The bear roared again and swung at her, the massive paw knocking Rainbow Dash half way across Ponyville and into the town hall. The wood planks shattered under the force of Rainbow Dash striking them, and small bits of wood rained down on her as she recovered.

“Okay, this is going to be a bit more difficult than the last fight.” she shook several chunks of wood out of her mane and charged, a small mach cone forming around her as she raced towards the Ursa. The bear swatted at her again, but this time Rainbow Dash pulled up and dodged before zooming in and punching the Ursa in the face. The Ursa managed to recover quickly and lunged at Rainbow Dash, massive jaws snapping shut mere inches from the Pegasus. She flew in for another hit, but the bear saw this coming and thrashed it’s head, clobbering Rainbow Dash and knocking her out of the air. She hit the ground hard enough to leave a small crater, and she would have recovered had the Ursa not proceeded to stomp on her.

A normal pony would have been killed instantly. Being stepped on only made Rainbow Dash mad.

The Ursa roared in pain as two red beams struck the underside of it’s foot. As it reared up, Rainbow Dash shot up and collided with the bear’s chin, her eyes glowing bright red with energy. She shot the Ursa several times before striking the Ursa in the chest, each hit channeling more strength than the last one. The Ursa collapsed, trying to recover from the punishment the pony had dealt it.

“Oh very impressive.” Trixie shouted “But it takes a lot more than a few light tricks to drop an Ursa.” Rainbow Dash turned and was about to confront Trixie when the Ursa’s jaws slammed shut on her midsection. Snorting in triumph, the Ursa began to shake its head back and forth, trying to rip the Pegasus in half. Rainbow Dash’s tough Kryptonian physiology prevented any lasting harm, but being tossed around threw off her focus and the massive jaws would leave a nasty bruise if not removed. She twisted around and bucked against the roof of the Ursa’s mouth, knocking the bear’s jaws open and freeing herself. She flew upward and slammed her right hoof against the Ursa’s head, knocking it to the ground once again.

It was then that she got a good look at it’s eyes; like Flim and Flam, they were dull and unfocused, and they glowed slightly. “Trixie, you brainwashed an Ursa?” The unicorn did not hear her, all of her focus on the Ursa before her. Rainbow Dash grumbled and flew in for another strike, the massive beast spotting this and lunging forward.

Bear and pony collided at high speed, the two combatants collapsing and rolling across the ground. The Ursa tried to use it’s bulk to crush Rainbow Dash, but the pony used her strength to push back against her opponent. When they came to a stop near the Everfree Forest, Rainbow Dash slammed her right hoof into the Ursa’s chest, knocking it off her once more.

However, doing so caused the Ursa to flail, a massive paw hitting Rainbow Dash and sending her flying. She crashed into the ground with enough force to form a shallow trench, coming to a stop somewhere near where the fight had begun.

“Face it, Supermare.” Trixie said, her smug smile spreading wide “Even with all your strength, you have nothing with which to defeat the might of an Ursa Major.” Rainbow Dash climbed out of the trench and watched as the Ursa began to advance towards her.

“Well... It goes to show that you yourself can’t beat me, then.”

“... What?”

“You use a proxy to take out a stronger foe. In some locales, that would be seen as cowardice.”

“And others would see it as cunning strategy!” Good Trixie; get mad.

“You know the Griffons would see you as a weakling, a backstabber?”

“I don’t care what Griffons think.”

“Maybe, but if word gets out everypony might start calling you the Meek and Treacherous Trixie.” Rainbow Dash took off as a bolt of blue magic slammed into the ground next to her.

“Trixie is anything but meek! She is the most skilled and cunning unicorn that has ever lived.” Rainbow Dash was not focused on Trixie; in the moment that the unicorn had lost her temper, the Ursa’s eyes had flickered slightly and the bear had stalled it’s attack.

Bingo.

“I want to thank you, Trixie.”

“You? Thank me?”

“Yes, you just showed me how to defeat you.” Rainbow Dash took off, climbing higher as both Trixie and the Ursa tracked her. Once she reached a good height, the turned and dove towards Trixie, her hooves outstretched and aimed at the ground right before the unicorn. Trixie’s eyes went wide as she saw what was going to happen, but she failed to scramble away before Rainbow Dash hit the ground.

The force of the impact was enough to blast a crater in the ground nearly two ponies wide, with bits of dirt and rock going ballistic and embedding themselves in nearby buildings. Trixie tried to dig in with her hooves, but the impact tossed her through the air like a leaf, shattering any spells she was currently casting. The ursa stopped again, it’s eyes losing their dull look. It stood there for a moment, puzzled as to how it ended up so far away from it’s home, before groaning in pain and lumbering off towards the Everfree Forest.

At the bottom of the crater, Rainbow Dash could not help but smile.

I win again, Trixie.

.............

All of Trixie’s body hurt. Maybe it was the feedback coming from her horn, or maybe it was from being thrown against the ground, but it hurt nonetheless. She groaned and tried to bring herself back up on her hooves, but failing that she began to crawl towards the nearest building, hoping to get some time to recover.

She never got far, for a blue clad hoof was pressed against her back, pinning her to the ground.

“You’ve lost, Trixie,” Supermare said “Your Ursa is free of his brainwashing, and your magic is spent. I ask you to surrender, so that no more violence will be needed.”

“N... no...” there was a pause.

“Then tell me; who sent you?”

“... What?”

“I have been watching you for some time, and there is no way somepony of your level in magic could use a spell like that. So who sent you?”

“How do you know I didn’t just learn that spell?”

“Because that spell would have taken years for you to master on your own. So,” Supermare leaned in closer “Who sent you?”

“... Trixie will not tell you. Nothing you can do will change this.”

“Really?” Trixie felt hooves slide under her forelegs and she was hoisted up into the air, Ponyville shrinking as they flew higher.

“What are you doing?”

“Since you don’t seem to be very cooperative, I feel a change in scenery is needed.” When they reached the nearest clouds, Supermare turned trixie to face her “Who sent you?”

“I... I still won’t tell you.” another pause before Supermare shrugged.

“Okay.” the Pegasus let go and Trixie plummeted towards the ground, her legs flailing to slow her descent. She would have screamed, but her descent was slowed when Supermare dove after her and pulled her up by her tail.

“You... you’re insane!” Trixie screamed.

“Not insane, just angry.” Supermare climbed up to her original altitude, Trixie’s tail wrapped around her left hoof. “Now tell me. Who sent you?”

“You’ll just drop me again!”

“If you don’t answer me, then yes I will drop you. Who sent you?”

“Zod!” Trixie wailed, her legs still flailing around “He called himself Zod!”

“Where is he?”

“I don’t know! He said he was in Canterlot, but he could be anywhere right now.”

“What does he look like?”

“I don’t know.”

“Don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not! Why would I lie? He had some weird spell on his face.” Trixie heard Supermare mutter something about ‘Perception Filters” before pulling Trixie up.

“Thank you Trixie. You may have saved a lot of lives.” that was the last thing Trixie heard before something struck the back of her head and made the world go dark.

..............

Supermare had deposited Trixie outside the town hall before taking off towards Canterlot. When she was gone, several ponies took up the task of watching Trixie until a proper detachment of guards could be called in from Canterlot to arrest her. Ponies set about the task of clearing away any damages the fight had caused, and soon Ponyville was back to normal.

Pinkie bounced into the town square, her head swiveling around for any sign of Rainbow Dash. Finding none, she went over to a nearby group of ponies. “Hey, has anypony seen Rainbow Dash?”

“No, I haven’t seen her all day.” one of the mares in the group said “Why do you ask?”

“Oh, no reason. But if you do see her, tell her to come find me and that everything is ready and we need to find some good hiding spots but you didn’t hear about the hiding spots. Can you do that?”

“Sure thing, Pinkie.”

“Thank you.” Pinkie smiled and skipped off, continuing her search for her friend.

Author's Note:

I have an urge to discuss brainwashing, so I think I'll do that.
In this 'verse, straight-up brainwashing is a very complex spell to pull off, and very dependent on the caster's power levels. Weaker unicorns like you common townspony or Trixie before meeting Zod would not be able to pull it off, while mid-level casters like Twilight and Trixie after meeting Zod would be able to cast the spell, but it would cost a lot of power and require the caster to focus on their spell and target at all times. High power casters like the Princesses, Discord, Queen Chrysalis and Zod can use the spell with ease and not have to worry about losing control once their focus is broken (remember this, it will be important later).
Next chapter, Rainbow Dash/ Supermare vs. Zod. Predictions?
I don't own Ponies or Superman. Likes and comments are appreciated.