• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 8,088 Views, 275 Comments

When the Doctor Came to Equestria - Tardis Traveler



The Eleventh Doctor gets more than he bargained for when his Tardis takes him to Equestria.

  • ...
10
 275
 8,088

3. Of Bunnies and Rainbows

Chapter Three

The pegasus mare looked up at last and saw the Doctor standing there on the path; she let out a soft, tearful “eep” and shrank a little closer to the bunnies. Presumably, she was Fluttershy.

He suddenly comprehended that he must look like a bit of an outlandish oddity, so he respectfully removed his fez, setting it on the ground. Instantly he was by her side and speaking gently. “Hey now, it’s alright. I’m the Doctor. I’m here to help.” He doubted whether there was anything he could do, but it was not his style to abandon those in distress.

She sniffed and gazed at him with huge, sea-colored eyes. Dark tracks made by tears wetted her cheeks and she looked absolutely miserable. Finally, she seemed to overcome her doubts about him.

“O-okay,” she whispered. “Please…is there anything…anything at all…?” she trailed off, glancing again at the critters and hiding behind her mane. Her voice was barely audible.

Quietly and slowly, in order not disturb the skittish mare, he bent over the trio of bunnies. They were wet and bedraggled, their fur sticking out at crazy angles. He carefully shifted each one with a hoof. There was no response. Out came his screwdriver. He swept it over each body, willing the device to gather the correct data. There could be no doubt; they had drowned.

Finally, he turned his gaze to her. Just a tiny flicker of hope had been kindled in those eyes, but it died when she saw his expression. “I’m very, very sorry,” he said. “I’m so sorry, but…I’m too late. There’s nothing I can do.” He sighed. What good was it being the “Doctor” if he seemed to lose so many lives? They were only rabbits to him, but to this pony, they had evidently been friends and cherished creatures.

She gave a little cry and burst into a fresh wave of sobs, putting her face in her hooves. The Doctor knew what to do. Without saying a word, he placed a hoof over her shoulders and stood silently. For a long time the pair was motion less by the riverside, the hush punctuated only by the muffled sound of weeping and the chattering of the river water as it rushed by. He didn’t know the direct reason for the three bunnies being so dear to her, but it didn’t matter for the moment.

At last, she sniffled a few times, wiped her eyes and spoke in a broken little voice. “They were just starting to get better,” she said, looking off into the distance. “They were all very sick and they had recently started coming around…” He knew she was only half speaking to him.

He removed him hoof. “Were they very close to you?” he asked quietly.

She nodded. “Two brothers and one sister of my friend Angel Bunny.” With a little whimper, she gulped back more tears.

“And Angel is…special?”

Another nod. “I take care of a lot of animals, and all of them come and go, but…Angel’s never left me. I’ve known him since he was a tiny little rabbit and I understand him better than any other critter. He’s going to be so upset when I…when I b-break the n-news.” The Doctor looked at her flank and saw three pink butterflies. A trend was beginning to surface, he thought. Pinkie had boasted party balloons and she was clearly a hyperactive party mare. Rarity had sported gems and she was a fashionista whose store had contained several gem-encrusted garments. This mare had butterflies, saying she took care of animals. Perhaps they were an indication of certain talents? He thought about his hourglass mark and wondered.

But now was not the time for that. “Listen, what’s your name?”

She glanced at him again for the first time in a while, and now she seemed to grasp that she had been conversing with a complete stranger. “F-Fluttershy,” she murmured, her voice sinking low again.

He laid down (or was it sitting? Or both?) on the ground in front of her and assumed a kind but firm expression. “Now, Fluttershy, you’re going to have to be strong for me. I know it’s rough, really I do. I’m not asking you to do this just yet, but soon I’m going to need you to tell me exactly how this happened. I’ve been doing a bit of investigating around here and it’s important. But not yet. Not so soon. First, I’d like you to tell me if there’s a special place where you’d like to…lay your friends to rest. Remember, I’m the Doctor. I want to help.”

For a few moments, she was silently. Then she gave a tiny nod and he saw a new strength in her eyes, the strength to overcome grief. “I…I can do that. Okay. Um, there’s a place nearby, it’s down in a little hollow where the river branches off into a stream. That’s where I lay all of my lost friends…” She gulped. “…to rest.”

“Would you be so kind as to show me there?”

Fluttershy lifted the three bodies with all the tender care of a mother and placed them on his back, at his request. It appeared to be the pony style of carrying things if one had no saddlebags. They were light and felt like feathers on his back. She glided over to her house and came wordlessly back, holding a shovel in her hooves.

Together the pair set off for the hollow, not speaking but instead simply taking part in each other’s company. The sober feeling of the occasion rested heavily on both of them; Fluttershy flew a feet off the ground, kept her eyes downcast and sniffed every now and then, while the Doctor stared ahead and tried to keep his mind from straying to the many, many friends he had lost. Nine hundred years was a long time to live. The fact that he had spent so many of those years in the company of humans, and other species that died young, had rendered the pain of a friend’s passing a frequent thing. He could sympathize with the pegasus.

The animal graveyard came into view as they left the main river behind and went down a grassy slope. A foot-wide stream bubbled merrily along its grassy edge. Small stones in neat rows protruded from the ground, each one marked with neat letters spelling out the fallen animal’s name. Flowers poked their way through the turf here and there, completing the restful feeling of peace. There was an open space at one end where Fluttershy began to dig.

He raised a hoof. “Here,” he coaxed, “let me.” He took the spade and began to do the work himself. The yellow pegasus opened her mouth to say something, closed it again and trotted off, quietly searching the banks for suitable stones.

It took some maneuvering and experimentation to figure out how to use a shovel with hooves, but he managed it. Thankfully, he did not have to use his mouth. The work was not too strenuous; he was only digging graves for bunnies, after all and by the time Fluttershy had gathered the headstones he had three rabbit-sized holes ready in the ground. They looked at each other and nodded. She picked up the bodies one by one and lowered them gently into their graves. He put up his hoof in a salute as she did so. He didn’t know why, it simply felt appropriate.

The Doctor used the shovel once more to fill in the graves. She placed the markers at each tomb’s head and they stood in a moment of silence. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a single tear slide down Fluttershy’s cheek, the sunlight glinting on that one droplet and intensifying the feeling it expressed. The smell of freshly turned earth played sharp in his nostrils and he suddenly took it all in; I just dug bunny graves for a Pegasus I’ve never met before. He did not resent this. No, in a way it was rather fantastic, new experiences always were, but it was also heartrending at the same time. He doubted he would have done it for any old person. There was simply an air of kind and gentle innocence about the pegasus; it had made him want to help her.

Her voice shook him from his thoughts. “Um, Doctor? Listen…thank you…thank you for everything this afternoon. I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t come.” She gave him the tiniest of smiles. Considering the way she was feeling, he deemed that the greatest of rewards. “You said that you wanted me to tell you happened? I-I think I’m ready to now. If you don’t mind, can we go back to my cottage? I don’t think I can do it here. I’ll come back later to mark…to mark the stones.” Looking away, she hoofed at the ground. “If that’s okay with you, I mean.”

He assured her that it was indeed okay and they wound their way back up the path. Of course, he didn’t forget to retrieve his fez on the way. He was somewhat relieved that Fluttershy didn’t pry into his life and past with questions, and that around her the quiet was anything but awkward.

They arrived and as soon as she opened the door, animals bombarded their adopted mother. Apologetically, she told him he could sit on the couch while she tended to a few of their needs. Here a new dilemma presented itself: how to sit. He stared at the couch, a low-slung green affair with plump cushions, and jumped on it. With his back legs dangling and his front ones at his sides, he sat like a biped, but that felt extremely strange. He tried a variety of other positions, falling off the couch several times, before settling on a dog-like posture that was the most natural. Thankfully, Fluttershy noticed none of this. She was too busy with her critters. He was comforted to notice that caring for them appeared to take her mind off the recent tragedy.

Ever the fascinated viewer, the Doctor drank his fill of the sights while muttering under his breath to himself. Beautiful birdhouses and cages, clearly hoof-carved and hoof-wrought with extreme care, hung from the rafters that supported the turf-life roof. There were strategically placed holes in the wall for mice and such, while rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, all sorts of small creatures hopped in and out of hutches on the floor. Fluttershy went into a door leading into the kitchen and returned with a bag of bird seed in her hooves. She flew to each house and cage in turn, feeding the occupants and humming as she did so. Some of the birds looked ill or injured and these she spoke a few words of comfort to. Then she attended to each hutch. Every separate species got a refill of its food, and he watched in fascination as she changed the bandages on a tiny raccoon with a broken leg.

“That’s just fantastic!” he exclaimed as she finished up and settled down on a chair opposite him.

She titled her head at him. “What is, if you don’t mind my asking?”

“All of this! What you do, it’s really quite spectacular. No one’s telling you to do it but you take care of each and every animal here like they’re your family. It’s really quite…amazing.” Humans never ceased to amaze him, and now it seemed ponies would do the same.

She blushed heavy and hid a smile behind her mane. “Oh, it’s nothing really. It’s what I love to do the most. Although lately, some of the animals have been acting so strangely…thank goodness they’re all okay now.”

“What do you mean, strangely?” He rubbed at his mane, mussing it up with his hoof and knocking the fez askew. “Now, don’t you think I’m just someone prying and asking questions, because someone who pries is just boring. I don’t like being boring, really I don’t. I’m, ehm, investigating odd happenings around Equestria. Generally we keep it to magical fields of study and other related things, but really we only want to make sure everything runs smoothly so anything can count. I try not to act too official because, again, boring!” He gave her an awkward grin.

For a second, he was afraid that she wouldn’t accept this. But she nodded. “If you say so. It’s fine with me. Anyway, about their behavior, well…the biggest instance was with the three bunnies.” The catch in her timid little voice showed she had not gotten over her loss, but went bravely on. “They had all been very sick and feverish, but they were starting to perk up and move around again. They played a little together and were eating more. Then, just today, all three suddenly seemed to go…wild. They had so much energy for recovering little bunnies, and they were running around the house and upsetting all the other little animals. It was as if they didn’t even know what they were doing. Their eyes…they didn’t look right. Then, before I could stop them, they all climbed up on the furniture and jumped out the window. They must have lost their heads, because they ran right in the direction, and…the current was too strong. I couldn’t get here in time.”

He broke the ensuing silence. “I’m sorry, Fluttershy. I’m so, so sorry. That’s a terrible thing to have happened.”

She shot him grateful glance. “Thank you.” Clearing her throat, she kept speaking. “But that was the worst time. Other things have happened, though.”

“Like what?”

“Nothing too specific, but…some of the birds will be flying around, and then they’ll all of a sudden lose control. A few of them have gotten injured from hitting objects when that happens. It’s so odd. Then one day, some of my squirrels who were the best of little buddies starting fighting each other for no reason. They were going crazy. I had to separate the poor dears and put them in opposite hutches or they could’ve gotten hurt. The same thing happened with some of the chipmunks.”

“The other big thing is that some of the critters seem to have problems with their identities at random times. They’ll try to take each other’s food or act like each other. I’ve had mice jumping off furniture trying to fly and birds trying to fit into mouse holes. Bunnies will try to eat nuts and squirrels will try to eat the rabbit’s carrots. They’re all sort of small problems, but adding it all up, it does make me worry.”

“Now don’t you fret. The Doctor is here, and trust me, I want to help set thing right.” And figure out if any of this weirdness has any connection to me, he added mentally.

Fluttershy opened her mouth to reply, but she never got there. An unexpected, loud crash sent the birds into panicked flight and the grounded animals into a mad scramble. She and the Doctor looked up in surprise to see a blue pony head poking through a new hole in the roof, one graced with rose-colored eyes and a flamingly vibrant rainbow mane.

That face looked sheepish. “Uh…Sorry, Shy. New trick didn’t work out so well. I kinda lost my control there.” She caught sight of the Doctor. “Hey, I haven’t seen you before. Who’s the new guy?”

“I don’t mean to be rude, but perhaps it would be best if you removed yourself from the roof before we go through with the introductions, hm?”

“Oh. Right. Heh.” With a grunt and a strong tug, she managed to extricate herself. A second later the mare strutted through the front door.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy, I’ll definitely come back and fix that. My bad,” she said, glancing at the hole. The mare, who was a pegasus as well, was the most tomboyish one he had seen in Ponyville so far. Her mane and tail were spiked, her mark was a rainbow lightning bolt shooting out of a cloud, and she had an athlete’s build.

“Oh, that’s okay Rainbow,” Fluttershy replied meekly. “As long as it’s not there for too long.”

“So, mister, who’s the new face in Ponyville?” the blue pony asked casually.

“Oh, me? I’m the Doctor, just the Doctor, nothing else but. Who’re you?” He straightened his fez and beamed.

She raised a skeptical eyebrow, taking in his appearance. (Wait. Ponies had eyebrows? Could they really-no, bad, that was a train of thought for another time.) “Just the Doctor…right. Me, I’m Rainbow Dash! The one, the only, the awesome.” Her wings flared open and she flicked her mane out her eyes with a hoof. “So, what’s brought you to Fluttershy’s place?”

The Doctor glanced at the pony in question, who lowered her blue eyes and stared at the floor. “There was an accident today with three of my bunnies and the river. The Doctor h-helped me take care of it.”

Rainbow clearly understood the meaning. She moved over and put a hood on her friend’s shoulder. “Aw, Shy, that’s so terrible. I’m sorry.”

“Thanks Rainbow. I’m okay now thanks to the Doctor.” Fluttershy flapped her wings open and gracefully flew to each bird, coaxing them back into their houses, leaving the other two on the ground to converse.

Dash was clearly still bemused by his getup. “What’s brought you to Ponyville? No offense or anything, but I’ve totally never seen anyone dressed like you before.”

“I’m from a long way away,” he answered enigmatically. “From a place where fezzes are cool. What’s brought you to Fluttershy’s roof?”

She perked up. “I was practicing one of my newest flight tricks! I want to get into the Wonderbolts. They’re my favorite flight team and my new moves are sure to knock them flat!” But then she looked depressed, her ears drooping. “I can’t seem to pull it off, though. I always end up crashing into somepony’s roof.” She snickered, a little self-consciously.

“Roof…the roof…ah!” He could almost feel the light bulb go off above his head. “I’ve had a great idea, no, a brilliant idea! Listen, I’m not going to explain this now, it would take too long, but long story short I’m a bit of an investigator. I look into…stuff. Do you think you could get me up onto the roof?”

Rainbow blinked at him several times. “Uh…the roof?”

“Yes. The roof. Of course the roof! You crashing into gave me an idea. My job around here is looking into the odd stuff so why not get higher up to look for the odd stuff?”

Her look suggested he was insane. Which, of course, he was. “I…guess I could. I don’t get it, but hey, it can be done. I’ll need Shy’s help though.” To emphasize that last point, she yelled up, “Hey, Fluttershy! Could ya gimmie a hoof? Doc here says he needs to get on the roof for whatever loony reason.”

The two pegasi were baffled, but the Doctor offered no explanation. Their combined strength (although Dash certainly offered more) was enough to lift him up off the ground and to the top of the cottage.

The mares stood on the ground, watching in bemusement as he climbed to the highest point next to the weather vane.

“Oh please be careful, please be careful!” Fluttershy kept saying.

“Don’t worry about me, I’ve climbed way higher than this before! It’s just a matter of keeping your foo-I mean, hoofing!” He withdrew his screwdriver and pressed its button, aiming at the sky and in all directions. The sun was beginning to set.

“Hey Doc, what’s that glowing thing you got there?” Rainbow hollered.

“Ish mer surnic scurdruver!”

“What?”

He spat it into his hoof. Oh, how he hated having to operate it with his mouth. “It’s my sonic screwdriver!”

“Oh! Uh…okay!”

The thing in question was telling interesting things. Most unusual things. He kept up a running monologue. “Well that’s weird, I’m detecting a massive disturbance up there. But that’s up there, way up in the sky. What could be up in the sky? I doubt the humans gave this world spaceships, I mean, doesn’t seem to fit with the time period.” He pressed the button of the screwdriver again. He spat it out once more. “And what’s more, it’s a sort of time and space disturbance, too, not just an atmospheric one. But that doesn’t make much sense. Or does it?”

“Doctor, what are you saying? I can’t quite hear you!” Fluttershy’s voice jarred him from his rant.

“Nothing important! Just talking to myself!” He reared back, screwdriver sweeping, trying to pinpoint the exact place of the disturbance. He replaced the device. “It’s no good, I need some sort of telescope. Maybe I can-” He stretched himself as far as he would go. It was a precarious position, teetering on his hind legs and gazing at the sky. “Can’t see a thing, blast it all-whoawhoawhoa!” He lost his balance, tipped over and fell off the roof.

“Oh my goodness!” Fluttershy shrieked.

Luckily, the cottage wasn’t too tall, and the grass of Equestria was surprising soft and springy. Smacking into it wasn’t the most fun thing, but at least he was still alive despite being temporarily winded.

“You okay?” Dash asked anxiously, speeding over and standing by him.

“Please say you’re not hurt!” Fluttershy looked stricken.

“Oh..ow..okay…ugh.” He shifted about in his place on the ground. “Nothing broken, that’s a surprise, but very nice. I think I’m just going to be a bit bruised. No, very bruised. But that’s okay.”

“What were you up there for, anyway? If you don’t mind saying that is.”

He didn’t really hear the yellow pony’s question. He was staring at the sunset skies instead, thinking hard. “I’ve just learned something interesting. Something very interesting…something timey-wimey…do either of you know where I could find a telescope?”