• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 18,287 Views, 1,247 Comments

A minor variation - notMurphy



No sonic rainboom. The Mane 6 find different destinies. See where it takes them.

  • ...
39
 1,247
 18,287

For want of a War, η (Eta)

For want of a War

Eta

Life is made of things that look complicated and scary and impossible. Most aren't hard to deal with if broken into smaller pieces. Fluttershy woke up and she knew three things, My wings are gone, I'm stuck in a very cramped place filled with twigs, feathers, and small things that feel sort of like twigs but different, and there is an owl sitting on my head. Putting those facts together one way told her that she was somehow stuffed into Owloysius's nest. Another arrangement led her to the conclusion that yes, Rainbow Dash had, in fact, egged on a powerful creature who was a living manifestation of chaos. Lastly, 'the things that aren't twigs? Probably mouse bones.'

'So, problem number one, how do I get out of this nest?' In front of her was solid wood, and to both sides of her it felt like more of the same. 'OK, the exit is probably behind me. New problem, pretty sure the exit hole is in the ceiling of the library.' Well, there were two solutions to that problem: Either it's in a place I can climb down from, or it isn't. There was no way of knowing which it would be until she was too committed to turn back.

She considered that for a moment. Discord had gone through a great deal of trouble to separate everypony – but he hadn't just killed them outright. 'Sure, but what does that mean? Wait, scratch that, it doesn't matter; he probably didn't put any of us in a position it was impossible to survive in.' There would be time later to figure out the rest – if she survived.

Since there seemed to be nothing else she could accomplish by sitting still and thinking about it she inhaled, braced her forehooves on the hard surface before her, exhaled, and pushed. There was a queasy moment with her stomach halfway across the lip of the alcove but before she could reach around to feel for the wall. A moment later her hooves struck solid wood underneath the ledge; even better, it felt knurled and irregular enough to accept hoof-grip with minimal difficulty.

The owl contemplated her, head tilting to one side and then the other. He looked strange somehow , a moment's examination revealed his wings were gone as well. 'Absolutely no flying, huh?' "Owloysius, I am going to try to climb down to the landing. I think I'll make it, but I can't promise I will. Would you like to come with me or stay here?"

"Whoo" In violation of the rules of comedy, Fluttershy did not assume the owl was asking a question.
The grounded pegasus nosed open her right saddlebag and tried to make a large enough space for the nocturnal raptor. When the bird had nestled itself in as well as it could, she gently placed the flap back down.

For a quadruped, climbing down a vertical surface while carrying a bag full of gear and an adult owl – especially when your first recourse would be flying – could seem like an impossible task. The individual pieces are much less daunting. First you move one leg, try to find a new grip – if you don't find one easily then return that hoof to its last grip and try with another leg, it may be easier once you've shifted your center mass a little. Like most forms of balance, it boils down to a question of tension: not enough and you'll lose your grip, too much and you may slide right off the wall, but get the balance just right and your weight is distributed evenly enough that any problems with one grip will be cancelled by the others. Go ahead, be scared, be terrified, but don't listen to your fear, don't let it control you – understand that while the voice of doubt wants you safe from harm, it doesn't really know what it's talking about. Take it slowly, the wall isn't going anywhere, rush and you may go away from the wall – take it one bit at a time and reach the bottom in one piece.


Rarity watched the pair head for the door, hope and doubt mingling into indigestion deep within her. She resisted the urge to give them step-by-step instructions, because if she didn't trust them to do their best she might as well give up now. 'But what if – No! I trusted them before, and I shall continue to trust them now.' She shook her head, turning to her half of the mission instead: Finding Fluttershy. She thought aloud on the off chance that Diane's sarcasm would provide useful insight, and on the more likely chance that it would irritate her enough to distract from worrying about Jackie and Rainbow.

"We have covered every square hoof of the ground floor and not seen hide nor mane of Fluttershy. Which means that Discord must have deposited her somewhere else–"

"Like stuffing her into hoot-head's nest, 'cause she's part bird?"
The white pony suppressed a laugh, 'that is not funny – wait, it is, why is she making a ...' Rarity's head craned up and toward the outer wall where... there was a yellow pony making painfully slow progress down from Owloysius's nest.

"The coefficient of friction is-" Rarity gently set a hoof on Twilight's nose,
"Not just now, dear, I need to think."
"Huh, we finally agree on something," the earth pony groused.

'We can't do anything that would distract her without risking a fall. Discord could discover her at any... wait, he put her there in the first place, so why hasn't he – *rrgh*, focus, Rarity! The biggest risk is injury from a fall, so... remove the risk of injury... but how?' The futon was tempting, but not nearly padded or flexible enough. Pillows would take too long to gather– "Well, come on, we can move and figure out what to do."


"Thanks again for letting me stay here while... well thanks, Mrs. Smith." Scootaloo looked out the window, a great many things running through her mind. Applebloom stood right next to her, probably running through a lot of the same worries.

"Think nothin of it, child, ain't no Apple gonna turn away a filly in need. An call me 'Granny', everypony else in town does."

The yellow filly regarded her grandmare, "Granny, has the likes of this ever happened in Ponyville before?"
The aged pony chuckled, "Shucks, just how old d'ya think I am? Ol' two-horn's been a statue and a scary story since before the royal sisters had that unfortunate argument."

Bloom persisted, "But, with all'a the trees goin wonky, are we gonna lose the farm?"
Smith Apple sighed, creakily reaching down to nuzzle her youngest granddaughter, "Ain't no nevermind to be paid about finances right now. You stick with kin and good friends and the rest'll just have to sort itself out."

Scootaloo was startled when 'bloom's brother spoke up, "Look", pronounced the huge red pony, pointing. Everypony turned to see a white unicorn filly with pink and purple hair running down the road to the Apple Family Farm.

"Sweetie Bell?" cried the two fillies, running for the door to go meet their friend.
Macintosh rose to follow them, only to be stopped by a worn green hoof, "Let 'em do what they need 'ta." cackled the Apple Family Matron. When the stallion remained where he was, she gently swatted him on the shoulder, "Ah didn't say 'don't go after them', just to let them try an' help if they can." The red pony gave his grandmother a gentle hug before heading out. The eldest Apple shook her head, 'maybe you had the right idea, Roz, but it's just so hard to let go.'


"Watcha' doing?" Discord's head was right next to her, rotated ninety degrees and grinning like a crocodile. She had made it ten strides in twenty minutes – without context that sounded pathetic, but Fluttershy felt she had earned every bit of that distance. She was so focused that the sudden interruption had caused no disruption.

Pausing for a moment, she contemplated the odd creature. The rest of Discord stood out from the wall as though it were 'down' for him. "I am trying, very carefully, to climb down a nearly vertical surface without falling and injuring myself. Can you do anything to help me achieve that goal?"

The draconequus considered this for a moment, "Well, I could..."
'Ah, that was my mistake,' "Will you?"
"Ehh, no"
"Why not? I'm not going to do anything to amuse you until I'm on solid ground."

Discord watched in fascination as his paws twitched as if he was actually going to help. He put them back down and smiled slowly, "I make my own fun." he reached behind himself, making noises like someone rummaging through a pile of pots and pans, "Hold on... you dropped something a while back..." the amalgamated creature let out a yelp, an angry yellow pegasus was now biting onto his muzzle, kicking and flailing for all she was worth.

Despite herself Fluttershy started. 'NO! Celestia said not to believe in his tricks. That can't possibly be-'
The doppelganger stopped biting long enough to snarl at the wallbound pony, "RUN, you idiot!"
"W-what?"
The second yellow pony glared, "This is a trick, I'm not real, get out of here before he gets his claws into you-"
The urge to laugh inappropriately was powerful, "That makes no sense, if you're not real, then why would you care-"
"Rrrgh! Because the bearded wonder over here made me to be a perfect replica of your superego, now BUCK OFF!"

"Good grief, even a two bit copy of you is unbearable." Discord grumbled, finally getting the upper paw on his insubordinate imitation. With an audible pop her wings disappeared, and the spirit of disharmony tossed away the useless prop–

"NO!" Fluttershy had jumped before she even realize she was considering it. She took a last moment to tighten down her saddlebag straps and secure the flap she had left loose for Owloysius's comfort. Then she tucked her legs firmly behind herself and tried to will herself to fall faster that her flailing faux twin.


"No!" the white pony cried when she saw a yellow pony falling, then she saw the same yellow pony dive after herself. 'Wait wha... huh?'

Twilight seemed unphased, "Weather Team Regulations, Ordinance 13 v02: all active crew are required to wear protective gear in case of mid-flight wing disability. Addendum, updated 999CE: the FW model #003 and 003 'Lite' series are considered adequate cautionary gear, per Team Captain's approval."

"News flash, Sparkles, nopony cares about minutia and regulations!" Diane grunted, torn about whether to act or ... The wingless pony... sprouted wings? "What in the..."

"No time for gawking, girls, we need to MOVE, as it were."


The demon of disharmony laughed so hard he forgot to defy gravity. As he plummeted, inspiration struck; and so did he, pushing off the wall he caught Fluttershy and plus one, using his free claw to cut away the set of canvas wings holding her aloft in one fluid motion.

Tucking and rolling, the trio eventually came to a rest – a dislodged volume of the DPSM landed on Discord's head. 'Everybody's a critic.' The serpentine figure realized he might have miscalculated when he found himself being double teamed by Ponyville's top team player. Jumping back he waved a digit back and forth, muttering "eenie meenie..." under his breath. During a lull in the assault he darted a paw out, tapping one of the flightless pegasi. She vanished in a puff, something dropping to the ground as-

"Ei-yah!" There was a meaty thock as an earth pony's airborne reverse turning buck connected with the spirit of disharmony's skull, sending his upper half careening. The lower half eventually acknowledging inertia and followed suit. Diane picked herself back up, snarling, "These geeks and losers are mine to pick on, go find your own victims!"

A set of jingling bells circled Discord's head as he pulled himself vertical again. After carefully stuffing them back into nonexistent pockets, he scowled at the four ponies. "My my, so quick to resort to violence, are we? Very well, I certainly know when I'm not wanted–"
"You mean, like, all the time?"
"–and so I will take my leave." The draconequus continued, seemingly unaware of any interruption. He grinned, smugly, "Besides, you've already lost." The front door opened and shut, as if to emphasize his statement.

Rarity frowned, "We never agreed–"
"Tut tut, my dear, participation implies consent – after all, you know better than most that ignorance isn't immunity." With a flourish he produced a battered sign. "But I do have some lovely parting gifts for you: two slightly used horns and a set of refurbished wings." The sign collapsed into a pile of sawdust that blew away in a wind nopony felt. *Pop*, *pop*, *pop-pop* horns and wings reappeared as though they had never been gone.

Discord let out a loud groan, stretching out to his full height, paws pressed to the small of his back. "Ough, it feels so good to be able to str–et–ch after millennia in stone. Tell you what, I need a little break, so I'll give you... oh, two more hours to find the elements before I send them into the void and make everypony's life just a little more interesting... FOREVER." He leered, glancing at Diane for some reason. "...eh? Ehh? … nothing?" He scowled, "Alright, I'm out of here." And in a flash of light and a cloud of confetti, the Draconequus was gone.


"And'a Ah would walk five hundred miles, and Ah would walk five hundred more, just ta be the mare who walked a thousand miles to show up at yer door..." Sang a desaturated earth pony.

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow, "The Declaimers, seriously?"
"I know, it's only Rock an' Roll, but I like it."

"Sure, whatever." Dash looked away, only to stare in wonder as a seven foot tall carrot... thing, ran by, misshapen limbs cradling its head-like end as it tried to escape a wrathful orange over buttercream earth pony and a … uniquely muscular white pegasus. "What the..."

"You ingrate, I'm going to teach you to respect the natural order!" Carrot Top shouted, wielding a broom.
"YEAh!" Snowflake seemed to at least add enthusiasm. Rainbow smiled, 'Yeah, two hundred pounds of excited pony chasing me down would make me want to run the other way too...'

"Now left. No, LEFT! Wait, what? Oh, sorry uh le- I mean RIGHT!" A voice carried from a nearby rooftop.
The formerly orange mare scratched her head, "There's something happening here, but what it is ain't exactly clear..."

"Wait... Ditzy Doo?" Rainbow espied the mailmare, but couldn't quite believe it.
"Derpy." Answered the pony in question.
"Whatever. What are you doing up there?"
"Deflecting the resistance."
The desaturated pegasus contemplated the sentence, "You... think you're an electrical component?"
The blonde mare shook her head, "No, Deflecting... grr, DIRECTING!"
'Why didn't she just say – oh, ohmigosh.' "Hey, Ditzy, I'm sorry, I forgot you have that weird thing where you say stuff."

Derpy's eyes narrowed, "Do you have anything useful to say, or are you just trying to prove you haven't changed much since flight school?"

'Oh sister, if you only knew...' "Look, I'm sorry if I was a jerk or something, D, but it doesn't really matter anymore, does it – mmph!"

A grayed hoof cut off whatever else the depressed pegasus was about to say. At the other end of the leg, Jackie glared at her. Moving very deliberately, the earth pony withdrew a copy the letter Rarity had written, placing in in Rainbow's reluctantly outstretched hoof. Jackie had no sooner removed the hoof from Dash's muzzle than she made a shushing motion followed by a giving motion towards Derpy. Rainbow nodded, sighing, 'Great, now it's not enough that I make myself miserable, I'm spreading it around...'

Holding the scroll carefully in her mouth, Rainbow Dash slowly flapped her way to the rooftop where Derpy stood, wearing a wary expression. "You uh... is there something wrong with you? You don't look so good."

Rainbow Dash shrugged, proffering the letter. Eventually the naturally gray pegasus even took it, "Uh, Chiang-Kai-Shek."

The desaturated pegasus nodded as though the statement made sense, quickly flying back to the where the earth pony waited, figuring that trying to run away would only cause Jackie to chase her, which seemed even worse that simply trudging through this pointless exercise.

For her part, Jackie caught a glimpse in the distance and gestured for the pokey pegasus to peramble and the earth pony raced after what she'd seen.


Twilight contemplated the yellow pegasus, glancing at Rarity, "General Pyrrhus of Equus is quoted as saying 'another such victory and I shall be ruined'."

The white unicorn scrunched her muzzle, "Well I certainly wouldn't call this much of a success, but at least we..." a soft hiccuping sound reached her ears. She followed the other unicorn's gaze. Fluttershy was doubled over, quietly sobbing while she brushed something. "Fluttershy?" The pony flinched at the sound of her own name, only reluctantly meeting Rarity's gaze. "Are you hurt?"

The yellow pegasus shook her head, still tightly clutching something to her barrel. Assistant Professor Bell made to reach for it when Diane smacked her hoof away, frowning deeply. An image of two manticores flashed through the unicorn's mind and she nodded, grudgingly, at the herbalist.

Tempering her voice, Rarity lowered her head to be eye level with the yellow pony, "He's gone, you're safe now." She raised a hoof, hesitantly, and the pegasus didn't flinch, not even when all three of her friends cocooned her in a group hug. Rarity cast a single confused glance at Diane, but the earth pony scowled and jerked her head toward Fluttershy.

After a few moments, the weatherpony's shoulders released most of their tension. She looked up at Rarity, revealing the yellow doll she clutched, silky pink yarn for a mane and tail... "He changed the wrong one... I'm not... I'm not..."

Rarity and Twilight shared the same thought, 'That's impossible … isn't it?' Finally the white mare spoke, "Shh... we'll sort it out. You don't have to worry anymore." 'Now for the hard part,' Rarity schooled her features, trying for the same beneficence she used with Spike and Sweetie, "May I see... Fluttershy?" It broke her heart to see the uncertainty and hope so artlessly expressed on the pink-maned pony's face as she passed the doll over, careful as if it were a treasure 'or a living thing.'

The librarian couldn't detect any signs of life-force. Twilight, the resident expert, seemed to be cut off from her own resources by whatever emotional scarring Discord had inflicted upon the formerly purple pony. Seeing how badly the pegasus wanted the doll back, Rarity returned it – drowning out the voice in the back of her head that pointed out that keeping the doll might make it easier to prevent the now gun-shy pegasus from fleeing a the first sign of danger. 'I am most certainly better than that.'

The fact remained, however, that in the end they needed Fluttershy to be present. The elements only worked in concert, trying to replace one of them would guarantee failure. "Will you come with us? We can't finish this without your help."

The maybe Fluttershy seemed torn, "I... want to help you, but that means seeing … him again. I don't know if I can, w-what if he realizes his mistake and decides to just make me disappear? Then she'd be completely alone..." The pony's breath became rapid and ragged as she began working herself into –

Diane grabbed the yellow pony's face and stared her directly in the eye, "Hey, listen, no. No no no..." The earth pony shook her head, and turned the pegasus's head slowly from side to side as well. "That's not gonna happen. He's got no power to influence us that we don't give him. You are better than that–"

Fluttershy tried to shake her head, Diane gently but firmly held it in place, "No. Listen to me: if you're giving up your own will then you are now subject to mine, and I say you will do this." The second pony blinked, "You will do this, and you will come willingly, not because those important to Fluttershy need you to, not because it's the 'right thing to do' or any horseapples like that, you will do this for yourself. Is that clear?" Di absently remembered she had a hold on the pony's head and let go. The yellow pony nodded slowly. Diane nodded back, "Good. Let's go." She started toward the door, pausing to glance at the gobsmacked unicorns, "Did I stutter? Move your flanks!"

The archaeology pony grinned, dismissing a momentary impulse to salute, as she trotted after the pair. 'Yess... I can work with this. This can work – this is going to work, I can feel it.'