• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 11,103 Views, 402 Comments

The Elements of Excess - cleverpun



[Canceled] What if Discord's magic preyed on everypony's strengths instead of their flaws? Hilarity, arguments, and a dangerous breakdown or two, naturally.

  • ...
24
 402
 11,103

Fic Canceled: Rough Outline of Ending Here

Author's Note:

This fic is now canceled. You can find a brief explanation in this blog post.

For what it's worth, below is a rough outline of the final chapters.


Chapter 11; Twilight searches for Pinkie, finds her turning some of the glass windows into candy or similar. After she orders Pinkie to stop messing up her castle, she tries some lasers and stuff but Pinkie just teleports out of the way. Pinkie says she should probably go wake Luna up--the more the merrier. Twilight tells her that’s a bad idea, so Pinkie decides to go wake up Discord instead, then teleports away.

Cut to throne room. Fluttershy is trying to tend to Rainbow Dash’s unconscious form. Applejack berates Fluttershy for causing all this, accusing her of being a terrible friend. Fluttershy gets upset, says she was only trying to help, then barfs out a bunch of yellow goo.

Meanwhile Rarity broke Celestia out of her cage, using one of the discarded spears as a lever and telekinesis and brute force to force the metal apart. Celestia and AJ note that the magic barf must be caused when something contradicts their Element and forces Discord’s magic out of their body.

Rainbow Dash wakes up and still suffers some residual effects from the magic (so she’s still clingy, but is now mortified with it along with Applejack). There’s a ruckus in the garden and Celestia teleports them there.

Chapter 12; All the ponies meet up in the garden, where Twilight and Pinkie are fighting (“there’s confetti and broken statues everywhere”). The ponies manage to convince Pinkie that what she is doing is making everyone unhappy, and she doublebarfs all of Discord’s magic.

Chapter 13; Twilight does another creepy, crazy monologue like the one from the throne room. After all, now that Pinkie’s out of the way, she can get back to killing Celestia.

The other characters have to convince her that they are her friends, and that all this power will drive everypony away. During this "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight, Applejack has to lie and Rarity has to be selfish when talking to Twilight, which causes them to barf up their magic too.

Twilight has a battle with her inner monologue/Discord’s voice, trying to reconcile all the power she has with what she would need to do to her friends and mentor. There’s a huge flash of light, and her laser wings flake away as she falls to the ground. Fluttershy and Dash catch her, and she barfs out purple and black goo once they’re on the ground.

Chapter 14; Twilight and Celestia are sitting in the gardens. The sun slowly sets in the background.

“Princess, I’m sorry.”
“You have nothing to apologize for, Twilight. You were not yourself.”
“But, part of me enjoyed it. Having all that power. If I hadn’t been so weak, then Discord’s magic never would have been able to make me do all this.” Twilight turned her head away. “Letting myself be controlled, it makes me just as responsible as him.”
Celestia draped a wing over Twilight. “Don’t be absurd, Twilight. You never should apologize for your positive qualities. Yes, your desire to learn and grow and improve may have made you susceptible to Discord’s trap.” Celestia put a hoof under Twilight’s chin, gently moved her head up. “But it is also what made you my student. It is also what helped you free my sister. All good qualities have their dark sides, as does anything in excess. But they are also what make each pony unique and capable.”
Twilight didn’t make eye contact with Celestia. “Doesn’t it ever worry you, though? Having good qualities so closely related to bad qualities?”
Celestia didn’t answer right away. “Sometimes, yes. I have met ponies who could not balance themselves, whose good qualities prevented me from helping them.” Celestia leaned down. “But you are not them, Twilight. Discord may have guessed at some of your weaknesses, but he underestimated your strength.”
Twilight did not answer. She merely sat there, staring at the sunset. Celestia did not press the question. She simply left her wing there, joined her student in the quiet of the sunset.

A yawn broke out behind them. Gravel and bits of statue crunched under her hoof as Luna walked into the garden. “Sister, did I miss something?”

Comments ( 24 )

I predict someone will write this out for you, then request it gets submitted here upon your approval. :P

5309332 You can request mods move stories between accounts--I wouldn't mind having it moved if someone else chose to finish it.

I highly doubt I'm popular enough to get other people to do my work for me, though :derpytongue2:

5309347 Eh, you never know.

5309347
It sounds like you have a decent grasp of what you wanted to have happen, although I think the end could use some tweaking. Unless you wanted it to be like a show episode, that is.

Thanks for sharing.

Though I think just saying 'AJ and Rarity would need to' feels cheap.

Thanks for sharing this.

Are you telling me this got Featured while it was Cancelled?

5309526 5309638 well, it does say "rough" :derpytongue2:

5309687 The bottom three slots of the featured box are reserved for stories that already have a lot of likes/views. They are placed there automatically when they update.

5309716

AJ, "It's not lke Ah'm forcing everypony else not ta lie. Maybe Ah LIKE bein' this way."

5309757 "Applejack, you're welcome to be however honest you like, but we still need to get that horrible chaos loogie out of your body."

5309687
It would seem so. Unless the author is a troll and cancelled it when it got featured.

EDIT: It seems it genuinely got cancelled.

5309798

"Chaos ain't inherently bad, gee, even Ah'm shocked by that truth."

What would happen if Discord's chaos were turned on himself and magnified to its utmost?

He'd cease to exist...

No organized mind or consistent form can exist in pure chaos. :raritywink:

5309347
Canceled tag appears. Story gets featured.
bestpics.ru/full/254-3.jpg

She simply left her wing there, joined her student in the quiet of the sunset.

The... shimmering sunset, perhaps? :trixieshiftright:

5309911

Chaos isn't inherently bad, no, but the way Discord uses Chaos is, besides, if you're like this now, it might get worse over time. I'm not claiming to know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

5322528

Well, think of it this way, that chaos "seed" inside of you, is say, a thorn stuck in you. It's easier to just yank it out in one go, even though it'll probably hurt a lot, if you leave it in, in the short run, it'll hurt less, but it might become worse over time, do you see what I'm trying to get at?

5322531

(OOC: Interesting.)

5322568

(*tips nonexistant hat* My pleasure.)

6982377 I double-checked with a mod, and they are still willing to transfer stories between accounts. If you're serious, pm me and we can discuss it further :twilightsmile:

Well, for Rarity it's clear making her realize that FORCING gifts and such things on others isn't being generous, it's being SELFISH.

But I DO keep imagining that unlike the other, Applejack keeps insisting that she's HAPPY this way.

It's taken me years to trip over this story again.... And it's been concord.. meh. Was a good story too

10852538

My post was from eight years ago, my dude. I don't even remember this anymore, but my point wasn't to use the Elements on the dragon. Just that the girls could handle the issue of having him move. Plus it was training, let's be real. If he was a big issue but not-hostile, Celestia woulda gone political and told Torch to move the spud off her back porch.

Login or register to comment