• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 5,320 Views, 285 Comments

The Spoon That Refused Polish - Hollyfern



Life is unfair. Sometimes even going so far as to thrust upon the young the weight of responsibility. Though, being grown up is no cake-walk either.

  • ...
3
 285
 5,320

Preparations & Expectations

Silver Spoon sat humming softly to herself in her room, considering her reflection in the mirror. Lately, I’ve really let myself go. I kinda like my mane down instead of being braided. She ran a hoof through her mane. Too much work keeping it in order.

In the background, a familiar mare appeared. “Hello, Sunset,” Silver Spoon said with a bright smile as she caught her mother’s reflection.

“You have a guest,” Sunset frankly said, offering a half-hearted smile as she ushered in a pony from around the corner.

“Hi, Silver Spoon!” Apple Bloom chirped, moving into the room.

"Th-thank you, Sunset," Silver Spoon said, flashing a smile

“I spoke with the weather pegasus again today. She says it will be nice out. Perhaps you should go with your friends?” Sunset flashed a smile and then disappeared down the hall.

She speaks with the weather team quite a bit, Silver Spoon noted. I wonder if she knows Rainbow Dash...

"So what's been up with y'all?" Apple Bloom moved over to Silver Spoon's bed to make herself comfortable at her side. "Ya haven't been crusading th' past few days."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Silver Spoon frowned. "My Daddy wanted to spend time together is all; in the middle of everything I forgot to tell you."

Apple Bloom waved a passive hoof. "Nah, ah understand. Family's important." She paused, narrowing her eyes thoughtfully.

"What?" Silver Spoon blinked.

"It's just... ya look an awful lot like your ma," Apple Bloom noted, "'Cept fer th' mane. Ya get that from yer pa. An' now that ah think about it... yer pa looks an awful lot like th' Mayor."

Silver Spoon tapped a hoof to her chin as she mentally compared the two ponies. I... I've never noticed that. Same coat color and mane. If the Mayor's Nightmare Night clown costume is anything to go by, I'd say she's just as eccentric.

"Oh!" Apple Bloom suddenly exclaimed. "That reminds me; turns out we were followin’ th' wrong lead in our investigation."

"How? Your brother and Ms. Cheerilee aren't getting married?"

Apple Bloom shook her head. "No, turns out Aunt 'n Uncle Orange dropped by, an' Big Mac's attendin’ some fancy meetin. Must be big fer my aunt ‘n uncle t’ come out to th’ country.”

Important meeting, huh? A grin slowly crawled across Silver Spoon’s face. Hmmm... I wonder...

“Uh... what’s with th’ creeper smile?” Apple Bloom chuckled. “You been hangin’ round Pinkie too?”

“Oh, no.” Silver Spoon giggled. “Just excited, Bloom.”

“‘Bloom’?” Apple Bloom echoed with a smirk. “Dang, ya really are in a good mood!”

“So, are we crusading today?” Silver Spoon asked.

“That’s right!” Apple Bloom blinked in realization. “Ah almost forgot why ah came by! There’s this real weird circus just outside town. Popped outta nowhere like, overnight, all set up with tents and stuff.”

That’s impossible. Silver Spoon rolled her eyes. “I know I can be a little gullible, Apple Bloom, but that’s stretching it. We would have known about it before it arrived or at least heard all the noise in setting everything up.”

“See, that’s what ah was thinkin’ too!” Apple Bloom nodded. “Posters are round town right now sayin’ it don’t open ‘til sundown. Wanna come?”

“Yeah right.” Silver Spoon hook her head. “What’s the name of the circus?”

“Cirque du mystère,” Apple Bloom said almost autonomously with surprising enunciation on the nuances of letters.

“...Was... was that Prench?!” Silver Spoon blinked in amazement.

Apple Bloom soothed her head with a hoof. “Dagnabbit... ever since that one time! Don’t ever, ever use heart’s desire, Silver Spoon. It ain’t worth it.”

“You sound good at it!” Silver Spoon giggled. “I can’t speak it that well, but I know Sunset speaks Prench fluently.”

“Ah speak it pretty good,” Apple Bloom admitted. “After th’ first time, ah went t’ Twilight to see what it was ah was saying. She gave me so many books ah could hardly make it home!” she explained. “Then Cheerilee found out and started offerin’ extra credit if ah studied it. That was nice o' her, 'specially since it's kinda easy t' pick up" Apple Bloom grinned. "'Sides, it's kinda funny that ah know somethin’ not even Big Mac or AJ knows!”

“Cirque du mystere,” Silver Spoon muttered, picking her brain in an attempt to translate it.

“Nah,” Apple Bloom shook her head. “Mystère. Ya gotta pronounce it right. Otherwise, ya sound like ya got some weird accent.”

Silver Spoon cocked a perplexed brow. “I have an accent?” She giggled, shaking her head. “Anyway, what does it mean?”

“Circus of mystery.” Apple Bloom puffed out her chest. “Anyway, admission is like 'a hundred bits, so make sure to bring money and a lil’ extra fer whatever they have inside.”

“Alright,” Silver Spoon said. “I’ll meet you later then?”

“Yeah.” Apple Bloom nodded. “Ya got anything t’ do in th’ meantime?”

Silver Spoon tapped a hoof to her chin. “I think I’m going to go check on Sweetie Belle and Rarity. I haven’t been by the boutique in a while.”

“Awright.” Apple Bloom nodded, moving over to the door to her room. “One more thing. Heh, don’t know why ah’m forgettin stuff left ‘n right t’day, but Sweetie Belle’s a little more Sweetie Belle ‘n usual, so... yeah. I dunno what’s up with her.”

Silver Spoon shrugged. "I've no clue either." Good thing I'm going by there, I wonder what's wrong.

“Later, Silver Spoon!” Apple Bloom waved to Silver Spoon before rounding the corner to the hallway.

Once Silver Spoon was alone, one thought began to gnaw at her. Hmm... Mayor Mare... I wonder if that’s her real name. She turned back to her mirror and stared thoughtfully at nothing in particular. What Rarity said a—

“So I heard the circus is in town!” Her father’s voice chirped as his reflection came into her mirror.

Silver Spoon jumped and quickly turned, flashing Sterling a smile. “Yes, Apple Bloom just told me. Is that what we are going to be doing today?”

Sterling sighed, shaking his head. “Sorry, I can’t go; I have business to tend to today. I came to ask you to think of your old man when you pass a toffee apple stand!” He licked his lips and grinned. “I know I can buy them at anytime, but there’s nothing quite like circus food!”

“Alright, Daddy.” Silver Spoon giggled, shaking her head. “I’m about to go to Carousel Boutique.”

“Have fun, my twitcy witchy filly,” Sterling teased, playfully tussling Silver Spoon’s mane. “I think another party is in order... maybe around the theme of the circus?”

“I can tell you what it’s like after I get back,” Silver Spoon offered.

“Thanks, Silver.” Sterling planted a kiss on her forehead. “Hopefully, I’ll get to experience it before it leaves town.” He dreamily sighed.

“You’ve never been to a circus, Daddy?” Silver Spoon asked, a little surprised.

“Oh, I have.” Sterling nodded. “But, this circus is unique. Every show is a little different," he began with growing enthusiasm. "I've never experienced Le Cirque du Mystère before; I only know of it by reputation. It constantly moves from place to place, appearing in the dead of night as if it had been there all along. I've heard rumors that it's even performed in the Crystal Empire!"

Wow, something fun even my father hasn’t done! Silver Spoon couldn’t help but feel excitement building inside her, her mind racing with thoughts of grandeur in impossible feats performed before her eyes.

“I’m about to go to Carousel Boutique, Daddy,” she said, hopping from her seat. “I won’t be back until later, okay?”

“Just be careful, Silver.” Sterling added, hugging Silver Spoon tightly.

“I will, daddy.” Silver Spoon smiled, returning the hug as tightly as she could.

---

Dear Silver... no, that sound weird.

Sweetie Belle groaned, crumpling up the scrap of paper and tossing it to join several others across the room. She stared at a fresh sheet, narrowing her eyes as if willing the words that she couldn’t find to appear.

This has to be right. Like Rarity said, I shouldn't exactly make it plain; I should gauge their reaction. But... that’d be a lot easier. Then again, she is kinda oblivious. And Rarity, I think, thinks I have a crush on a colt. Sweetie Belle’s heart raced, a familiar fond memory engraved in her mind.

She called it beautiful... even though I messed up. I still don’t exactly know what I should say. Hm... maybe I could get some ideas at the circus? After all, I have time. She doesn’t know how I feel just yet, and when I tell her, things have to be perfect! Heh, I think I know how Rarity feels about her dresses now.

Sweetie Belle looked out her window and saw the circus there in shades of blue that almost appeared monochrome. Circus performers do what they do best. Maybe, if just for her, singing isn’t so scary a thought.

“Sweetie Belle, are you alright?” echoed Rarity’s voice from the hallway.

“Yeah, sis,” Sweetie Belle replied. “Come in.”

Rarity pressed her way through the door and instantly noticed the numerous failed drafts piled in the corner. “I see somepony has been hard at work.”

“More or less.” Sweetie Belle shrugged, her face in her hooves.

“My break is almost over. I feel I should offer a bit more advice to you.” Rarity sat beside her sister, following her gaze to the circus. “I do know what it feels like to believe you have fallen in love for the first time, but be careful,” she cautioned with a saddened, weary look. “Please be sure you are in love and not the thought of just being in love.”

“I know my feelings are for my special somepony, Rarity.” Sweetie Belle nodded.

“Alright.” Rarity nodded, hugging her sister and sighing happily. “You’ve grown up quite a bit since you began staying with me. I’m well aware I’m not perfect, but I do hope I’ve been something of a role model for my dear little sister.”

“Of course,” Sweetie Belle chirped. “Hey, sis, can I go to the circus later on?”

“Sure, I’ll make sure you have money for admission and whatever else might catch your eye.” Rarity smiled. “I’ll probably catch up with you a little later, after closing time.”

“Alright, thanks, Rarity.” Sweetie Belle smiled.

“If you need something, tell me. I’m about to open the store.” Rarity moved over towards the door, casting a passive glance to Sweetie Belle’s pile of notes and giggling to herself.

---

Burdened with a saddle bag that bulged on one side with money. Silver Spoon entered Carousel Boutique, her bag jingiling loudly with each step.

Autonomously, Rarity flashed her a smile before reciting her usual greeting, “Welcome to Carou—” She turned and blinked as she realized her guest wasn’t a usual customer. “Oh, Silver Spoon! It is good to see you again, dear.”

“Hello, Rarity.” Silver Spoon smiled, gazing over the main floor.

Rarity giggled, knowing all too well who Silver Spoon was searching for. “She’s upstairs in her room. You know the way.” She gestured towards the stairs, her attention drawn to a powdery white unicorn that stepped in behind her. “Look what the cat has dragged in,” Rarity giggled.

Silver Spoon gave a passive glance, only getting a blur of blue and a cutie mark that appeared to be a wand and a crescent moon. She almost seems familiar. The thought was abruptly stopped. Silver Spoon bumped into something soft.

“Eep!” Sweetie Belle squeaked, whipping around in a feverish blush.

“Sorry, Belle.” Silver Spoon awkwardly smiled, narrowing her eyes to focus on the marshmallow in front of her. “Darn, my glasses came off.”

Silver Spoon flinched. Sweetie Belle placed her glasses back on their rightful place... magically. She’s doing it! She grinned, eyes wide in amazement. “Hey... you did it!”

Sweetie Belle’s face was burnt red, pawing at the ground with a hoof. “I guess.” She shrugged.

“You guess?” Silver Spoon echoed, frowning a bit. “I’ve never seen you use magic before, and you seem so... bleh about it!”

“I guess I have other things on my mind.” Her face glowed brighter as she said those words.

“Apple Bloom told me you were acting strangely.” Silver Spoon frowned. “Are you okay, Sweetie Belle? You haven’t even looked at me.” She moved around, trying to get a better look. At every turn Sweetie Belle would avoid eye contact.

“I’m fine,” she said, casting a glance over her shoulder. “Hey! Have you heard about the circus?”

Silver Spoon nodded. “Yes, I have. Are you going?”

“Of course!” Sweetie Belle turned and met Silver Spoon’s gaze. “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Well, just a second ago you weren’t looking at me,” Silver Spoon noted.

“Nope.” Sweetie Belle shook her head. “Just thought I saw something in the floor. I’m looking at you now, right?”

“I guess.” Silver Spoon studied Sweetie Belle for a moment. Well, she seems back to normal.

“Hey, why does your saddlebag look heavy?” Sweetie Belle motioned towards the sack.

Silver Spoon giggled and rolled her eyes. “Well, Daddy sent me with sacks of money just in case, though I think there’s too much. I came by to check on you and your sister, though it seems Rarity has a friend over.”

“Who is it?” Sweetie Belle asked, stepping past Silver Spoon and down the stairs.

“I’m not sure. I think I recognize her cutie mark,” Silver Spoon replied, following Sweetie Belle.

Just as they came to the base of the stairs, Rarity’s guest had just stepped out. Silver Spoon only caught a fleeting glimpse of a cape in various hues of blue.

“I can see why the circus welcomed that one with open hooves.” Rarity giggled.

“Who was that, Rarity?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“A mare I thought I’d never see in Ponyville again.” Rarity shook her head. “I’m sure you two will remember her, come tonight. A pony like that is not easily forgotten; I’m sure the performance will be spectacular if it is anything like her personality.”

“Sweetie Belle, do you have anything planned today?” Silver Spoon asked.

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “No, I was just going to wait here with Rarity and help out if she needs me,” She explained. “Why? Did you have something in mind?”

“Not really. I was just going to waste away the clock until the circus opens.” Silver Spoon turned to Rarity. “Would it be alright if I helped around the shop too, Rarity?”

Rarity smiled, nodding approvingly. “I don’t mind. You don’t need to ask, Silver Spoon.”