• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 6,905 Views, 583 Comments

Through Changes - Symphony



When you lose who you are, what will you do to become yourself again?

  • ...
11
 583
 6,905

Shutdown

A/N: The chapter became much shorter than intended... I couldn't really get in the groove to write 3k for this chapter, but have some feels anyway. Edited by frieD195.



After Era had screamed, she hopped off the bed and scrambled to get to the nearest corner to hide from the monster. Both her mother and the monster looked relieved when her wailing had ceased, but her breathing was still ragged and her eyes were darting to the beast and her mother. It took a slow step forward, and Era pressed herself toward the wall even further. ”D-Daddy!” She wailed in hope that the stallion would dash inside and make the monster go away.


All that happened was that the monster got a pained expression and glanced over to her mother, who nodded toward it. Discord took a step forward and winced as her own daughter scooted away from him even further in fear of him hurting her. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a second, bracing himself to reveal the needed truth to her. “Era...” He looked straight into her eyes, never wavering. “I... I am your father...” He stretched and tried to ignore the horrified expression on her face. “This is what I truly am. A protection spell which was designed to keep me trapped in my prison back-lashed when I attempted to break free. Somehow, I became a pony in the process.” Discord sighed.


“At first I was surprised, but I soon realized how easy it would be for me to sneak into towns and make my own mark upon them. My first target was Ponyville, where the Elements of Harmony lived. It took a few days for my magic to recharge, so all I could do before I was captured was to take a look around town.” He scratched his beard with his eagle talon. “Then your mother and aunt located me and brought me down. I got... Reacquainted with your mother from thousands of years being apart.” Discord sat down on the bed, but his eyes never left Era.


“About a year later, you were born and Equestria went into a new time of peace and harmony. But eventually, trouble rose when my almost complete lack of natural magic got the best of me. It was life-threatening...” Discord sighed heavily and looked down at the floor momentarily, then back at the filly. “Do you remember my necklace..?” He asked weakly. Era nodded cautiously. “You might have thought that it was some kind of regalia, but it was a collar which limited me from ever using my magic. Your aunt Celestia designed it and crafted it with her top magicians in private.”


“I changed back to this form this morning in order for me to survive. So... Do you believe me?” Discord asked with a small smile. Era regarded him in silence and bit her lip. She didn't know if she could believe that this monster was her father, but her mother trusted him enough to believe him, or maybe if she even knew that. Era looked at Luna with pleading eyes.


“He's not lying, dear...” Luna said in a quiet, comforting tone. “Do you believe him..?” Luna asked, full of hope.


“I...” Era squeaked. “I don't know... I want to-.. I don't know...” She stuttered, then glanced at Discord who felt his heart being ripped out, thrashed and spat on at the same time. His ears fell to the side of his head as Era teleported away. Discord turned around and walked toward the closed door. Luna walked to his side and nuzzled his shoulder.


“Disco-” Discord leaned away from her and walked faster through the door, not saying a single word to her. She did however notice a single tear drop from his face to the floor.


Discord wasn't angry. He was upset from obvious reasons. Being shunned by his own daughter when he revealed his true self to her. The worst thing of this whole situation was that Era was afraid of him. Discord growled and walked even faster. He had been walking in random directions for half an hour, trying to make sense of the situation. “Who was I kidding? It was obvious that she would be scared of me...” Discord rubbed his eyes with the back of his lion's paw.


“...And then I told him, 'I am a prince, not a peasant!” A snobbish voice came from around the corner. Discord groaned as he recognized the voice belonging to Prince Blueblood. Discord stopped and considered teleporting away from the snooty little bastard, but realized that it was too late when the prince waltzed around the corner with his entourage containing three servants and two guards following him. Immediately as Blueblood noticed him, a disgusted expression washed over the prince. “Just who allowed this... Dog to enter the premises?” The prince huffed. Discord balled his fists and puffed a small cloud of smoke from his nostrils. “I say, why don't you just take your little... Impurity and leave, hm?” Blueblood smirked.


Discord had enough. His fists started glowing and sparking with chaotic magic aching for a release. Discord looked over to the guards, who seemed to be fed up with the arrogant prince's behavior. The spirit grinned evilly and snapped his eagle talon and teleported, just to appear just in front of Blueblood. He crossed his arms behind his back and leaned forward ominously toward the stallion, who was glancing nervously to his entourage and sweating. “Boo.” Discord drawled. Blueblood squeaked pathetically.


“Get away from me, you monster!” Blueblood shrieked. “Do something!” He shouted to his guards, who were actually amused from his suffering.


“Monster?” Discord held his lion paw to his chest, feigning hurt. “I'll show you what a monster truly is, child...” Discord growled and clamped his lion paw around the royal neck of the stallion, then poked his eagle talon to Blueblood's forehead. The prince convulsed and his eyes rolled, until they flashed white twice. Discord dropped him to the floor, where he started shivering and covered his head while stuttering something unintelligible. Discord smirked and leaned down, and whispered to Blueblood. “...And now you know what a monster is, whelp.” Discord growled as he stretched his back and turned away from the scarred royalty.


“What... What did you do to him?!” One of the panicked servants asked, or rather, demanded. Discord just continued walking and never looked back.


“I showed him his former deeds, and made him feel everything that he has ever done to anypony. I showed him what a real monster is. Give him a few hours and he'll be fine, but I am quite sure that he will have some thinking to do then.” Discord snapped his eagle talon, and with a flash, he was gone.


“I like that punishment...” The same servant as before spoke up and nodded, so did the rest of the ponies around her. Even the guards broke their stoic demeanor to nod in agreement.


Spike trudged through the doorway to the throne room, where Princess Celestia and his friends were chatting about something. Fluttershy yawned and stretched her forelegs, making them pop in protest from not being used for a while. She fluttered off the drake and smiled weakly. To her own horror, she noticed that she was blushing. Spike smiled and looked up to the princess of the day, who smiled down at him. When noticing the new arrivals, a devilish grin appeared on Rainbow Dash's face.


“Where have you lovebirds been, huh?” She grinned. Fluttershy's face became a deep crimson, when Spike just became confused. Pinkie Pie giggled in response, and a victorious smile grew on the daredevil's lips. “You owe me ten bits, cowgirl...” Dash bumped Applejack's side, who just muttered something beneath her breath.


“What are you talking about, Da-” A suggestive eyebrow wiggle from the pegasus made the dragon stop talking immediately. “...Oh” He shook his head and looked at Fluttershy, who seemed to have shut down because of being so embarassed. “Look... Fluttershy and I are not a couple, and we never have been.” He puffed out his massive chest, which made the yellow pegasus snap out of her trance. “I wouldn't mind it, though...” He whispered. Fluttershy looked at him with wide eyes, then smiled and moved to stand closer to the dragon.


“Yay! When we're back in Ponyville I’ll have to throw a party for you two getting together! It will be so much fun, right!” Pinkie Pie continued her rant, but almost everypony stopped listening. Spike faceclawed. “There goes going out for a drink later on...


Era was hiding beneath the covers on her bed, not saying a single thing. She was just lying there in silence, hoping that nopony would find her. Her hopes were diminished as a childish giggle echoed through the room. She squeaked and hugged the cover closer to her, but when nothing more happened, she removed the cover and looked around in the room, searching for the source of the giggle.


When she didn't see anything, she jumped off the bed and tip-hoofed around to get a better look of the room. She pouted when she realized that someone had just been playing around with her. Another giggle echoed, but Era couldn't believe her ears when she heard the giggle coming from the mirror. Another monster similar to the one she had seen earlier today appeared, but it was much smaller and dainty. The young monster beamed and her eyes flashed crimson. It took a deep breath, still grinning and revealed a tiny sharpened snaggletooth.


“Hi! I'm Eris!”