• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 6,906 Views, 583 Comments

Through Changes - Symphony



When you lose who you are, what will you do to become yourself again?

  • ...
11
 583
 6,906

'Tis But a Scratch

A/N: Monty Python is pure awesome. Anyway, Edited by frieD195.



Discord felt his senses slowly returning to him, and it made its presence known by making some of the pain he had felt before he passed out return to him. He gritted his teeth and lifted his forelegs to his neck, where he felt several burns and a few cuts. But one detail which made him excited and terrified at the same time crept upon him.


He wasn't wearing a necklace to bind his powers. He allowed a small smile grow over his lips as he set his forelegs onto the bed again. He opened his eyes slowly, to allow his eyes to adjust to the light in the hospital room he was in. The first thing Discord noticed was that Celestia and Luna were both standing to the left side of his bed, and the Elements on the far side of the room. They were wearing their respective elements. Era was lying by the foot of his bed, fiddling with her forehooves on the sheet. One unnerving fact was that Celestia was levitating another necklace beside her. Discord gulped and clicked his tongue.


''That was quite the spectacle.'' He said dryly, and the ponies inside the room just rolled their eyes and sighed. Partly in relief that his voice hadn't changed like it did the last time the necklace came off. Era just looked straight into his eyes with big, watery orbs and a quivering lower lip. Her head was held low and her ears were splayed back. Discord spread his forelegs, and the filly charged at him and embraced him into a choking hug. At first, Discord hugged her back, but after a while he started flailing his arms and wheezing for air. The alicorn filly squeaked her apologies and glided off the bed.


Celestia coughed awkwardly and wiggled the necklace, emphasizing her request to put it on the spirit. Discord bit his lip. He had told Luna, but now it was crucial that he told Celestia before it was too late. He looked over to Luna, who had wide eyes and was jerking her head toward her sister. Discord took the hint and made himself comfortable. ''Right... Luna?'' The lunar princess perked her ears. ''Could you take Era with you and go outside for a minute? I have... Something to say that might not be suitable for her... Yet.''


Luna nodded and levitated the now struggling filly onto her back. ''But I want to stay with daddy!'' She whined and held her forelegs toward the spirit. Discord's ears fell back and he looked away from those eyes. Luna would have nothing of it, naturally and continued despite the filly who was starting to sob a little. As the door closed, Discord leaned back to the bed and ran a hoof through his mane. Hoh-kay, time to get this over with. The sooner, the better, right?


Twilight Sparkle gave him a knowing look and nodded, she already knew of his predictament, she was here now to help him convince Celestia and her friends. Discord took a deep breath and glanced around the collected ponies inside the room, before he spoke up. ''I am quite sure that some of you wonder why I asked you to stay here for this.'' The Elements nodded, so did Celestia, but with a puzzled look. ''Truth is, this is something I probably should have shared with you all earlier than now, but the events of earlier today may have just ensured my survival...''


A collective gasp circulated throughout room, and Celestia lost focus of her magic and dropped the necklace in her magical grip. To the surprise of the ponies inside the room, Celestia included, the necklace crashed through the floor and the floor on the level below, coming to rest two stories beneath them. ''Before you ask, yes, it's that heavy...'' Discord deadpanned before continuing. He told them about his encounter with himself, his conflicting feelings over the years, telling Luna and eventually, just how painful it would be to tell Era about his true form.


The mares with the Elements were taken aback by Discord's sudden change in demeanor. They were used to seeing him with his trademark smirk plastered on his face and his rather peculiar attitude. In fact, none of the Elements liked seeing him this way. Celestia, however was just regarding him with a raised eyebrow. She knew that he was legitimately distressed, but she still didn't like the idea of having Discord running around with his powers, as it was enough trouble to have him without them from time to time. Discord was looking at her with pleading eyes, that was a first. She bit her lip as she levitated the necklace to her once again through the hole in the floor. She twisted the necklace in her magic grip, inspecting it for damages from the fall.


Discord gulped and felt beads of sweat trickle down his brow. This was stressful, to say the least. But he still had one card up his sleeve, it was a dirty trick, but he felt compelled to use this. He took another deep breath. ''Celestia...'' He said darkly, and everypony felt the temperature drop inside the room. The princess looked at him with wide eyes. ''Remember, if you decide to put that necklace on me, you'll have to tell Era that you’ve sentenced me to certain death.'' He leaned back once again to the bed and crossed his forelegs. The temperature inside the room turned back to normal, and the Elements shivered from the sudden change. Celestia closed her eyes and sighed while placing the necklace in a null-space pocket.


Discord cheered mentally and hoofpumped. He had done it! But now he would just have to turn back into a draconequus, somehow... Fluttershy walked carefully to the bed-ridden spirit and glanced at the cuts and bruises on his neck and chest area.


''Umm...'' She said, gaining the attention of the spirit. ''Are you sure that you should go around with those cuts like that?'' She asked tentatively, while trying not to stare at his injuries. Discord scoffed and crossed his forelegs.


'''Tis but a scratch, I'll be fine when it has healed. 'Sides, I can heal it with my magic.'' He deadpanned and faked a yawn.


''A scratch?'' Fluttershy gasped. ''You had a magic explosion just next to you, there's even some fragments still in your neck...'' She kicked the floor sheepishly, but Discord just looked the other way.


''No there isn't!'' Discord scrunched his nose and his eyes darted from side to side. Fluttershy, however would have none of it.


''Well what's this then?'' She reached to his neck and pulled out a tiny charcoal fragment of the necklace. Discord just looked at it momentarily, but turned away right after.


''...I've had worse.'' He added with a roll of his hoof, but Fluttershy had decided to take the matter to her own hooves, instead of the doctor's. She looked at him with what could be equivalent to the stare and pushed down his chest toward the bed, making him lie down against his own will.


''You're going to stay here until you are all better again, understood?'' Her eyes narrowed. Discord was baffled by the sudden change in the usually frightened pegasus. In fact, it almost frightened him, so he decided not to argue with the mare. He pouted and crossed his forelegs, making himself look like a huge foal.


He decided that the exact moment Princess Celestia and the Elements of Harmony leave the room, he would heal his own wounds with his newly reacquired magic and teleport to the library, so he could perhaps find some books on shape-shifting or something similar. It wouldn't necessarily be what he would be looking for, but it may just help him in some manner.


‘But first, a quick nap wouldn't hurt.’ he reasoned and made himself comfortable. He could sleep perhaps an hour; then get to work on the next point on his mental agenda.