• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 9,445 Views, 208 Comments

Chasing Rainbows - Gallifrey



Rule 63. Rainbow Blitz falls for Dusk Shine, but nothing goes as planned for the poor pegasus

  • ...
22
 208
 9,445

His Only Friend

Chasing Rainbows
by Gallifrey

Chapter Four
His Only Friend

"So you think that Blitz has a crush on Dusk?" asked a wide eyed Butterscotch, leaning forward in his armchair. They were in Berry's living room, eating cupcakes and drinking hot chocolate.

"Yeah!" said Berry excitedly, "I think that's what a pineapple tasting hoof means, that there's romantic tension between friends!"

"Aww, they'd be so cute together," said the pegasus happily.

"I agree, I'm gonna help them get together!"

"Do you think that's wise? I've heard it's better to let these things take their course."

"Aw come on, a little push here and there can't hurt."

"I dunno," he said, tracing his hoof in small circles.

"Eh, you do whatever you want Butters, do you want anything more to eat?"

"Oh, no thank you Berry. I really need to get back home to tell you the truth, Angelina will be grumpy if I don't make her a supper; you understand how it goes."

"Not really, but it sounds super important!"

They walked to the front door together.

"Thank you again for everything." said Butterscotch gently, "Keep me updated on how Dusk and Blitz get on won't you?"

"Okie dokie lokie, see ya later!"

He waved Butterscotch goodbye as he flew away.

Berry turned and was closing his door, when he heard an anguished cry and the clatter of bins falling over.

"Oh my? What's that?" he asked himself, going out to investigate.

------------

Rainbow Blitz staggered around town, mildly drunk, and badly bruised. He was sick of everything. This day had been the worst of his life, hooves down. He had been rejected, betrayed, and beaten up, by simple virtue of who he was, and all had happened in the space of ten hours.
He was a broken stallion. He had lost everything he cared about so fast: his friends, his love interest, himself... he simply didn't care about anything anymore.
Slumping to the floor in a dark, narrow street next to some bins, he put his head in his hooves, curling up into a foetal position to protect himself from the cruel world; but that didn't keep the demons out of his own mind, or the pain out of his heart. It built and built until it reached an unbearable peak.

"Fuck everything!" he yelled, springing up and giving the bins a powerful kick with his hind legs, sending them flying. That, it turned out, was the last of the strength Blitz possessed, and he collapsed to the cold, damp ground, not for the first time that evening.
Silence descended, punctuated only by Blitz's ragged breathing, and then hoofsteps.

"Hello?"

Blitz remained silent. The hoofsteps drew closer.

"Is anypony down here?"

Hang on, thought Rainbow hazily.

"Berry," he croaked.

"Hello? Who is it?"

Berry cautiously approached the knocked over bins, it was difficult to see in the low light.

"Berry."

"Blitz, is that you?" he asked, pushing debris aside so as to get a good look at the downed stallion.

"Berry."

"Sweet Solaris, what happened to you?" Berry exclaimed, an uncharacteristic stab of fear colouring his voice as he looked at the beaten up pegasus.

"Help me," he pleaded.

Trying not to panic, Berry knelt down beside him.

"Hold tight Blitzy, this might hurt for a second."

He swooped underneath Blitz and rose with the speedster pegasus balanced precariously on his back. Berry wobbled his way back to his home. He tripped on the threshold as he entered, and pretty much fell up the stairs before he laid the pegasus gently on the bed. With a flick of a light switch, Berry's room was bathed in a warm golden glow.
The pink pony took a closer look at Blitz: he was in a bad way, bruises and cuts everywhere, dried blood smattered on his face, his eyes shut tight and body tense. Yet these outward injuries were nothing compared to the damage done inside the poor pegasus.

"Berry," he murmured, opening an eye and seeing the concerned face of Bubble Berry floating in and out of focus. "Dirty," he said slowly.

"Hang on! I know what to do for that! Be back in a minute!"

Blitz just lay on his back, staring at the ceiling. It was an unusual ceiling; it was plastered with pictures of all of Berry's friends. He saw himself in a fair number of them. There was even one of him, Dusk, and Applejack at a party together, all laughing jovially with their hooves round each other's shoulders.

Never again.

He tore his eyes away from it and Berry returned, with a soapy bowl and a cloth.

"This'll clean you right up!" he said cheerfully, sitting on the bed with him.

Blitz lay in a catatonic state, letting Berry tend to him. He cleaned all the blood and grime from the pegasus' coat, and apparently thought personal space was irrelevant, flanks and tummy were no exception from Berry's scouring mission.

"All better! That stuff should've healed the little cuts and scratches too. "

Blitz raised a hoof and looked at it. All minor injuries were indeed healed, big cuts and bruises remained however.

"Dirty," he repeated bleakly.

"No no no! Blitz, I just made you all squeaky clean!"

"Not outside... in here." He placed a weary hoof over his heart. "Applejack's right, I'm a disgrace."

"Applejack? Disgrace? What? How did you get like this anyway?"

So many questions... Can I trust him? How can I trust anyone anymore?

The earth pony took Blitz by surprise by holding one of Rainbow's hooves in his own.

"Blitzy, whatever has happened, you know that you can trust me," he said as though he had read the pegasus' mind.

Rainbow looked desperately into the electric blue eyes of his only friend. The only friend who hadn't betrayed him or cast him aside. His only friend in an unforgiving world.

"Oh Berry, they spat on me!" he wailed, not being able to rein in his emotions any longer, tears finally breaking the banks, and beginning to stream down his face. "They beat me up and spat on me!"

Ashamed of himself, and sobbing, he turned over and threw his face into a pillow.

Berry was in shock: he'd never seen his friend cry before, and was appalled that he had been treated that badly by anyone. He placed a tentative hoof on Rainbow's shoulder, but the pegasus shook him off.

"Who did this?!"

He didn't answer immediately.

"It w-was Applejack and two of his friends," came a muffled sob.

Berry couldn't believe it.

"AJ? AJ beat you?"

"Not exactly. He was worse."

"Worse than being beat up?"

"He betrayed me, insulted me, and made me feel like shit... and maybe I am..."

"Betrayed, insulted- I feel like there's some very important information being left out here."

Blitz steeled himself, preparing to have his heart broken by another friend turned enemy.

"I-I told Dusk- I told Dusk I like him... I'm bi."

"Oh! Now it all makes sense! Oh, that's terrible!"

"Y-you don't think I'm scum?" asked Blitz, getting up to look at Berry, cheek fur matted with tears.

"Why in Equestria would I think that?"

"Look what's happened! All because I went and told him! Why do I have to be like this? Why do I have to be different?"

"Don't you dare!" yelled Berry, face suddenly mere inches from the blue stallion's face.

This was so unexpected, Blitz was stunned into silence. Berry had both his forehooves planted firmly on the pegasus' shoulders.

"Don't you dare let them get to you like that!" he said fiercely.

"But-"

"No buts! This is who you are, and be proud of it! Why do you care what they think?"

"I-"

"Why do you care?" he demanded.

"I, um-"

"Exactly! You shouldn't! Let them be meany hatey ponies. You know you're in the right, there's nothing wrong with who you are Blitz: you are a good, kind hearted stallion who deserves happiness."

"So why am I so miserable?"

"Hey, it isn't over yet, but we'll sort this out, I promise. I'll even Berry promise, alright?"

Blitz felt tears welling up in his eyes again, but this time they were tears of gratitude.

"A-Alright."

"Now c'mere," said Berry gently, holding his hooves open, knowing that a big hug would do him good.

Blitz shuffled up the bed so he could hug his friend; it was a moment of bonding as they fell into each other's hooves. Berry slowly rocked back and forth, stroking Blitz's scratchy mane as he wept the rest of his pain out. The warm embrace was like sucking poison from a wound for the pegasus; and for the first time in longer than he cared to remember, he felt truly safe, secure, and loved.

"Thank you," Blitz whispered shakily, "you're such a good friend, Berry."

"I try," whispered Berry, grasping him tighter and closing his eyes, a single shimmering tear falling from his eyelashes into Rainbow's mane.

Once Blitz had calmed down, he broke the hug, and was surprised to see Berry wiping his eyes.

"You got me all crying too! How d'you feel?"

"Not great," Blitz said honestly, "but a lot better than I was, I'll give you that."

"Good. Well, not good, but sorta good- are you hungry?"

Now that Berry mentioned it, he felt famished.

"Actually, I could do with something to eat," he admitted, giving a weak grin, tummy rumbling right on cue.

"Okie dokie, just rest here, and I'll cook something up for you!" said Berry brightly.

"If that's okay, yes please. But please don't make it too-"

Berry had already left.

"Sweet," he finished lamely.

Blitz sighed and rolled over to his side, looking out of the window.
The window clearly possessed a sense of irony, because it offered an unobstructed view of Dusk's library.
Rainbow wondered what the unicorn was up to, a soft golden light was emanating from his bedroom, while the rest of the windows were shrouded in darkness.

Probably reading, or clopping, or both, knowing him...

He gave his head a little shake; thinking of Dusk just made him feel hollow inside. He got up, limping across the room and drawing the curtains. Flopping back onto the bed he snuggled under the blankets and just lay there, in a tangle of fabric and pegasus. Every time he moved his body ached, so he remained motionless, mind blank. He lost track of time, he lost track of everything.
After somewhere between five minutes and eternity, Berry returned, effortlessly balancing a tray on his head. He had heard Blitz's request after all and cooked him some steaming hot leek and potato soup, with a side of copiously buttered bread.

"Eat up, it'll make you feel better," he said quietly, nuzzling him, gently easing Rainbow out of his stupor.

Blitz pulled himself up as Berry placed the tray in front of him. He knew Berry was an accomplished chef but didn't think he was this good. The creamy soup warmed that dull aching void inside him, easily feeling ten times better.

Perhaps some of that emptiness was an empty stomach, he reflected as he wolfed down the rest of it.

Berry sat by the window, behind the curtains, looking out into the night while Blitz ate. Dusk's lights were all off now; the pink pony sighed and looked up to the heavens. Clouds were being gathered by the weather ponies who worked night shifts.

Looks like rain.

"Blitz?" he asked, pulling the curtain out of the way.

"Yeff?" Blitz's mouth was fit to bursting. He swallowed painfully. "Yes?"

Berry giggled.

"Would you like to stay here tonight? You're not really in a state to fly and it looks like rain."

"I'd like that," he replied, secretly wanting to be near a friend tonight.

"Cool, you can sleep in my bed and I'll sleep on the floor! It'll be like a slumber party!"

"I can't ask you to sleep on the floor Berry," he protested, "it's cold."

"No no no silly! I have an inflatable bed!" he said enthusiastically, pulling a bright pink deflated mattress out of nowhere. Berry inhaled, and expanded like a balloon as he drew an enormous breath. He put his mouth on the mattress and blew it up in a single go.

"Well, that was weird," concluded Blitz, finishing off the rest of the soup in one slurp.

Berry disappeared and reappeared a few seconds later, dragging blankets into the bedroom.

"You all done Blitz?"

"Yeah," he replied, wiping his mouth with a hoof and setting the tray on a bedside table.

"Okie doke!" Berry bubbled, switching off the lights and diving into his bed. "Goodnight Blitzy."

"G'night Berry," he yawned, much needed sleep creeping up on him. "And thanks."

"Hey, what are friends for?"

"Yeah," said Blitz, feeling warm inside, the first smile for a long while cast upon his features as he fell sound asleep.