• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 6,949 Views, 339 Comments

II - adcoon



Can Rainbow Dash fight destiny, or will she and her friends have to give up the Magic of Friendship?

  • ...
25
 339
 6,949

II.5 - Twice Harmonic

Dash stared into the depths of the cauldron. Small bubbles swirled around in the dark contents, but all she could see was Twilight and herself gazing back up. Twilight's eyes were lost in the obsidian depth, looking as if they were searching for something. Dash leaned on the edge and wondered what Twilight was seeing. She tried to picture it in her mind, wondering if maybe the magic her friend possessed let Twilight see things that were not visible to other ponies. Twilight's eyes moved a fraction and met hers briefly. Twilight smiled.

“Now my friends, let's gaze into the black and see if your double we may track.” Zecora appeared on the other side of the cauldron and crushed a few dry leaves over the waters. The dust settled on the surface for a few seconds before sinking into the darkness. Zecora grabbed the big wooden spoon and began to stir while she chanted in a strange language.

Dash looked up at Twilight. The unicorn nodded at the cauldron and turned to gaze back into the swirling waters. Dash hesitated for a second, her gaze lingering, before she looked back down. Brief flickering shapes surfaced and disappeared again in the cauldron. Dash narrowed her eyes and waited. It seemed to take forever in her opinion, and the swirly water was making her vision swim.

She was starting to get a little impatient and wondered if anything was going to happen, when her eyes suddenly fixed, as if on their own, and the whole surface changed in an instant. It was as if the images had been there all along, but her eyes only noticed them now, and then she couldn't unsee them.

“I … I think I see something,” Twilight said with a hint of excitement in her voice and leaned closer.

Zecora's stirring turned into slow, steady circles, and the surface began to clear, forming random images into a coherent vision. It was but a glimpse. Dash thought she saw roots and a strange light glittering in the water, but not the water of the cauldron. She saw a brief glimmer of herself standing in a hall of white walls. She almost didn't notice a vague movement in the whiteness and strange light, like a white shadow. A pair of green eyes gleamed in the light and focused on her. For a split second something seemed to gaze right through her head. Dash blinked, and then it was all gone. The cauldron returned to a swirling darkness from which only the occasional bubble surfaced.

“Was … was that it?” Twilight asked, looking between Zecora, Dash, and the cauldron. “Was that all?”

Zecora's brow furrowed and her eyes stared at her reflection in the empty waters, as if she was trying to look into the back of her own mind for any answers hiding there. Her lips moved slightly, as if seeking some word that she couldn't quite remember the sound of.

Dash looked around at the others. “What happened?”

“Something did cut off our view,” Zecora said slowly and put down the spoon she had been stirring with. “How and who I wish I knew.” She looked up in deep thought, her eyes moving slightly as if her mind was searching for an old memory. “The strangest feeling I get,” she said quietly, “that something I may forget.”

“Can you try again?” Twilight asked. “Can you mix another brew?”

Zecora shook her head and wandered over to her bed. “With magic it does not do to plead. Some other way around is what you need.” She let herself drop down on the bed with a tired sigh.

“I think I saw something,” Dash said uncertainly, not sure if the others had seen the same as she. “Or somepony. I'm not really sure. It had green eyes, and it looked at me. Did any of you see that too?”

“I did,” Twilight said, eager to seize upon a possible clue. “Did you see that, Zecora?” The zebra nodded. Twilight paused. “Maybe that's a clue. Did either of you recognize the eyes?”

Dash and Zecora both shook their heads. Twilight deflated a little. “Oh, well … maybe we can … maybe if we find the place where you were attacked,” she said, turning to look at Dash. “Do you know where it was?”

“No clue,” Dash said and sat down. “All I remember are roots that tried to strangle me. Lots of roots all over the ground. That's all.”

“Naona wewe—” They looked at Zecora, who had spoken “—is a tree. Its name means 'you I see.' Old stories tell of long ago, the tale of a young mare's sorrow. For her stillborn foal nothing would console. The child she buried under a small tree's root, and she watched the life grow in every li'l shoot. The tree she treasured and tended as her own flesh and blood. The thorns she gave fire of her veins to feed her li'l heart's bud. The tree grew strong while its mother withered. Her body it consumed and vile roots slithered. Hungry child now stalks the night, hunger and death its birthright.”

“What a sad story,” Twilight said. “Is it true?”

Zecora shrugged. “An old pony tale and not a new, who can say if in telling it grew? Directions I can give to where of hungry roots you must beware.”

Twilight took careful note as Zecora described the way, then thanked her as she and Dash made their way out of the small hut. “Thank you, Zecora, you are a lifesaver. Again, we are really, really sorry for waking you like this.”

***

“Aren't we going to find that tree thingy?” Dash had noticed that they weren't following Zecora's directions but were instead headed back the way they had come earlier.

Twilight kept her eyes on the road. “I am going there later. You're going back to the castle to rest and recover.”

Dash stopped. “Nuh uh! I told you, I'm fine!”

Twilight frowned as she turned around and gave Dash a scolding glance. “You need to rest, and it's too dangerous.”

“Yeah, that's why I'm coming with you.” Dash pulled herself up and stuck out her chest in defiance. “Danger is my middle name, and I'm not letting any friend go into any creepy places alone. You could get hurt without me.”

“Oh? Your concern is flattering, but really, you're being silly now.” Twilight turned back towards the path. “I am perfectly safe on my own.”

Dash narrowed her eyes as she watched Twilight's back. Slowly she crouched down and spread her wings silently. She set off like a flash and hit Twilight, tackling the unicorn and pinning her to the ground in one swift motion. Twilight let out a surprised cry, and her horn flashed briefly as she went down. A bolt of magical energy streaked past Dash's ear before exploding somewhere above them. Dash ignored it and fixed Twilight beneath herself as she met her gaze. “You were saying? Something about being perfectly safe?” Dash grinned despite a painful throb in her head.

Twilight tried to get her breath back under control, and a very faint blush covered her cheeks as her face set in an embarrassed frown. “That was not funny! I might have hurt you.”

“Yeah right, you're not fast enough for me. Not even close.” Dash let go of her friend and brushed her mane out of her eyes. “But seriously, Twi, I'm not letting you go there alone. I'll come along and watch your back, got it? Good, 'cause I'm not repeating myself.”

Twilight rolled over and stood back up. She dusted herself off and rolled her eyes. “You are infuriating, you know that? Fine, but I'm not responsible if you get yourself killed or anything.”

Dash grinned. “Yeah yeah,” she said, already well on her way.

***

Even in the dark she could recognize the place, but there was not much to see. Some broken roots and disturbed patches of dirt was all she could make out as she approached cautiously without getting too close. Twilight was moving a little further ahead, her horn glowing dimly as she looked around among the roots. Dash kept an eye on her and any roots that might decide to move.

“Looks like something happened here,” Twilight called. “I can't find any signs of your double, but the roots have been cut where I'm standing. I think somepony else must have found you.”

Dash stayed where she was, out of reach of the roots. The memory of the strangling grip around her throat made her uncomfortable, and she subconsciously reached up to rub her neck. “Yeah, I remember two figures. I'm sure they were Shadowbolts. Maybe … maybe it wasn't a dream, then?”

Twilight was silent for a while, poking around among the roots. After a time she turned around with a mild look of disappointment. “Maybe not. They must have taken her back to Gloaming then.”

Dash remembered the two Shadowbolts they had seen heading towards the village earlier. “Must have been some serious detour if they only got back after we left. They didn't seem to be carrying anypony, either.”

“Where else would they have taken her?” Twilight picked up a broken root and inspected it as she spoke. “It's the closest settlement from here.”

Dash shrugged. “I dunno, but can we maybe leave this place if we're done? It gives me the creeps.”

Twilight dropped the root and looked around one last time. “I had hoped there would be something more, some clue to what happened.” She turned back to Dash. “I suppose we should g—”

Dash saw Twilight's eyes widen in shock and her horn flare. Dash turned to look behind her, and the whole world disappeared in a purple flash. She was dropped several yards away an instant later. Dash groaned and held a hoof to her aching head, trying not to throw up at the same time. A giant claw snapped the air where she had just been. A second longer and she might have been cut in half.

Lavender flames exploded among the trees as something huge dropped from an oak and charged at Twilight on a blur of chitinous legs. “Twilight!” Dash cried out and, without thinking, raced to save her friend. She flew under the charging beast, barely evading its frantic legs, as Twilight disappeared in a flash. Dash hit the ground as her vision blurred and her head screamed.

Somewhere behind her she could hear Twilight's voice over the scrambling legs and snapping claws. She struggled to stand up and looked around. An explosion of purple illuminated the monster as it loomed over her. It looked like a nightmare mix between a giant crab and a spider with a body covered in spikes. Its jagged claw struck out at her but stopped mid-motion.

“ 'EY! Beastie!”

The creature spun around at the shout. Dash stared as a white flash broke through the foliage. Frostfell flipped around mid-air and hit the beast right between the eyes with her hind hooves first. The giant monster crashed against a tree and landed on its back where it flailed its legs wildly to get back up. One leg was broken and oozing dark blood, and its thick shell had been scorched by magic, but this only seemed to fuel its blood lust. Frostfell flipped back over and landed next to Dash. She looked up at Twilight. “Get oot o' here, noo!”

Twilight made no move. She watched icily as Frostfell picked up Dash and set off. Only then did she disappear in a flash of purple. Dash could see the small flashes of purple following them the entire way down on the ground as Frostfell carried her towards the old castle.

***

Frostfell touched back down outside the castle gates and let go of Dash. Twilight was already waiting for them and rushed to help Dash out of the Shadowbolt's hooves. “Thank you for your help,” she said without much feeling. Dash wondered what was going on between the two. Her head hurt terribly, she couldn't quite see clearly, and she was feeling confused.

Frostfell ruffled her wings and bowed. “Only doin' me duty. Her highness sent me tae find ye an' say she wishes tae see ye immediately. No delain' or dallyin' about.”

Twilight turned and helped Dash through the gates. “We shall see her this instant, then,” she said and marched off without looking back.

Dash watched her friend curiously as the gates closed behind them. “What was that all about, Twi?”

“I don't trust her,” Twilight said plainly and looked up as Luna appeared at the top of the stairs to the tower. “Princess?”

Luna landed in front of Twilight, her face like stone. “Are the Elements safe?”

“They are safe,” Twilight said simply. It occurred to Dash that she seemed really on edge all of a sudden. The saddlebag that she had carefully strapped to her back had been shaken well, but its contents were safely stored inside. “Why?”

Luna glanced at the two guards standing by the doors, then turned around and walked back up the stairs. “Follow me,” she commanded.

Twilight didn't move. “Princess Luna? Hi, my name is …?”

Luna turned around on the stairs and waved off the guards. Once they were out, Luna focused her attention on Twilight. “Starswirl the Bearded. Commendable costume. Thou even got the bells right.”

Dash blinked and looked between the two crazy ponies.

“Thank you! Finally, somepony who gets my costume!” Twilight bowed. “I'm sorry, princess, but I had to make sure. The Elements have never left my side,” she said and indicated the saddlebag with a nod.

Luna's brow furrowed as she turned around and continued up the stairs. “And the reason for your precautions?”

Dash followed, more confused than ever, as Twilight walked up the stairs after the princess. Twilight gave Luna the quick version of the attack in the forest as they walked.

“I see,” the princess said as they entered Twilight's suite. She closed the door behind them. “And?”

Twilight helped Dash over to the bed. Dash was too confused and shaken to complain. She lay down and watched the two talk.

“I have been studying them since the incident at the wedding,” Twilight said as she sat down. “That thing that attacked us was a mangrove-dwelling spider crab. I'm sure of it. They hunt changelings in the jungles to the south, but it's much too cold for them here in Equestria. Which means this one must have come here recently. They have been known to travel far when tracking a prey, if you get where I'm going?”

Luna walked back and forth a little as she thought, but spared Twilight a glance. “Yes.”

“And Frostfell seemed to know exactly where its armor was weak,” Twilight continued. “Around the eyes. How does a pegasus from the north know how to fight a creature that only lives in the far south?”

“Could be a lucky hit,” Luna reasoned. “Or a good guess. The Shadowbolts are trained well and are not unused to fighting the strange things that lurk in the Everfree.”

“There's something else,” Twilight said and explained their visit to Zecora.

Luna stopped her pacing and looked at Dash. “A dopplegänger? Interesting …”

“Yes, but I think Frostfell might have taken her other half somewhere, and we don't know where. We tried to locate her, but I think someone broke Zecora's spell and we didn't get to see anything.”

“There was … something there,” Dash muttered from her half-sleep on the bed. “In Zecora's cauldron. There was too much light to see it, but it had green eyes.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes. Green, like a certain changeling queen now that I think about it. It all fits together, don't you see, princess? I don't know why, but I'm almost certain.”

A shadow crossed Luna's face as she listened. The princess stood perfectly still for a second, then she pulled herself up and turned back to pacing. “This is all very troubling news, and I trust your instincts, Twilight Sparkle. We shall keep a very close eye on any strange behavior,” she said. “And if our good friend Frostfell really is a spy, then let us play along with her little game. We shall keep her close and see what she is up to and where she goes. Perhaps she will lead us to your friend's missing body.”

“Princess?” Twilight watched the princess' slow pace back and forth across the room. “Is something wrong? What was it you wanted to see us about before?”

“I am fine,” Luna said. “If you have nothing more to report, perhaps you would show us the Elements?”

Twilight looked uncertainly at Luna. “I thought it was safer to keep them with me than leave them here while we were both away. I have not done anything wrong, have I?”

“Open the bag, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna commanded. “Please.”

Twilight complied and opened the bag. She levitated out the five necklaces and the crown and put them on the bed. “They're all here. I was very careful when I packed them.”

Luna watched the six pieces of jewelry as if the sight of them had just shot down some grand hope of hers. Twilight looked at her with concern. “Princess, will you tell me what is going on?”

“The Elements are quite safe,” Luna said and picked up the crown as if to make sure it was real. “In fact they are still back in Canterlot. My sister showed me all of them, right there in the box. And I watched her put them back there too and lock the door again. If these are real, then …” Luna turned the crown ponderously. “Then we have two sets of Elements on our hooves.”