• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 6,168 Views, 149 Comments

In Duty's Name - Cloudhammer



A Royal Guard pegasus gets more than he bargained for on his last deployment

  • ...
17
 149
 6,168

15 - Endings and Beginnings

Chapter 15 – Endings and Beginnings

Twilight looked over her carefully packed bag again, nodding as she glanced back to her checklist and marked the box titled ‘Triple check fourth repack to ensure maximum use of space.’ Looking up as Applejack nosed open the tent flap, she simply nodded. Smiles had been in short supply as of late.

“Ya’ll about done Twi? Ah think we oughta be hittin the trail ‘fore long.” Twilight nodded as she closed her saddlebags, levitating them onto her back.

“Sure, I’m all done here.”

Following Applejack out of the tent, Twilight marveled at how quickly the city’s mood had changed. No longer did the air reek of quiet paranoia and fear, but now felt as open and welcoming as the first m’kazai they had visited. She just wished that the change had come under better circumstances, and her face darkened as she remembered the aftermath of that day.

Teneca had needed not only his own warriors, but half the Canids, including K’rik, to be successfully restrained. Even with this much strength he nearly killed three more zebras before they’d gotten enough ropes secured. Okoro had ordered him dragged back to the city to face judgment for his crimes, and had spoken at length with K’rik about retreating for the day. Both had agreed to meet again soon to begin mending the damaged relations between their two races.

Twilight and the others had busied themselves with speaking to Aheca about the ritual lines and their implementation. Despite their best arguments, Aheca refused to leave with them, stating that her place was here, to aid the new shiekim in consolidating their newfound leadership. She did however tell them not to despair, as her apprentice Rekera would be making the journey back with them in her place, and that her knowledge of the ritual lines was as expansive as Aheca’s.

As the group made their way down the main street towards the gates, once again the road was flanked on both sides by the citizens. Though the zebras bore no smiles and more than one averted their eyes as Applejack pulled her load by, in their eyes Twilight saw true gratitude for all the Equestrians had done to help them.

At the open gates the procession was halted by Okoro, standing with her bodyguard and bedecked in her finest jewelry. Twilight took a few steps forward with a weary smile on her face. “So, enjoying being able to give orders, Okoro?”

The zebra stared imperiously at Twilight before laughing roughly. “I admit, having my friends bow to me all the time could take some getting used to, but I suppose being the second zebra Queen in history makes up for it.”

The group shared a laugh, though it was strained given the events of the last few days. Okoro looked past Twilight, to the covered wagon which had been built especially for the trip back. A large box filled the interior, its sides covered in hoof-carved designs. Cloudhammer’s repaired helmet rested at the front, upon a specially carved rest for it. The rest of his armor was carefully stored to the side of the box, similarly restored to its former glory by a combination of Twilight’s magic and zebra metalsmiths. “I wanted to apologize again Twilight Sparkle, none of this should have happened. We should have recognized Teneca’s madness for what it was sooner.”

Twilight looked sadly back at the wagon too. “It’s not your fault Okoro. What matters now is what you do to get past it. I think Cloudhammer would agree that dwelling on past mistakes keeps you from seeing your future.”

Okoro nodded. “I wish you a safe journey home; my warriors will escort you to the border, though I regrettably cannot send them further than that.”

Twilight smiled. “I’m sure we’ll manage, our path home won’t be taking us through the Everfree Forest, so there shouldn’t be any problem. We thank you for the extra protection on the way.

“It is the least I can do.” Okoro motioned to one of her bodyguards, who came forward bearing a box and a scroll. “This is a gift for your Princesses, and a letter for their consideration of the future of our two races. I hope that we will be able to work together more in the future.”

Twilight’s horn lit, and levitated the box and the scroll into the air, tucking the scroll into her saddlebags and the box into the wagon next to Cloudhammer’s armor. “I’m sure Princess Celestia and Princess Luna will be willing to consider it. We should probably get going; it’s a long way back home.”

“Very well Twilight, I hope our paths may cross again in the future under better circumstances.” Okoro gestured, and the bodyguard formed into two even rows on either side of the path. As Applejack, who had refused any assistance on the duty, pulled the wagon past, the zebras saluted as one with a thunder of hooves against shields. The group nodded their respect as they passed, Rarity even managing to hold in her complaints about the dust getting kicked up. Soon the city was behind them, and as they rounded the turn, they could see another figure ahead of them.

K’rik stood, still dressed head to toe in bandages, what remained of his armor hanging from his frame. He was alone on the trail, though nopony doubted that his guards were hiding nearby. As the group approached and drew to a halt in front of him, he looked over the assembled ponies, and lastly settled his gaze on the wagon and its contents. Sighing heavily, he reached over his shoulder and withdrew his wicked axe-spear, the zebra guards present tensing despite themselves. Holding the weapon in his massive paws, he looked it over once before kneeling so his head was closer to Twilight’s. “Twilight, of the Sparkle pack, K’rik wishes to give you this weapon, as a token of my appreciation for the sacrifices of the one called Cloudhammer. The clan will sing songs of his bravery, so that his memory will never die out.” He made his way to the side of the wagon, looking the weapon over one final time before placing it gently inside, next to the box.

He returned to the front of the group and looked everypony over, his gaze lingering on Rainbow Dash. “Rainbow, of the Dash pack, please come forward.” Rainbow took a few steps forward, her wings and sides still wrapped in bandages from the Double Sonic Rainboom. K’rik locked gazes with her for a long moment before reaching up to his shoulder and removing one of the many talismans that hung there. Holding it out, he growled, “This is a symbol of my pack, it will mark you as an honorary member of my pack as well. Carry it with pride, and let all who cross you know your fury.” He took the cord in both paws and held it out for Rainbow to hang it from her neck. Without hesitation Rainbow stuck her head out and let K’rik place it over her head. Once it had settled, she took a few steps back and nodded. K’rik returned her nod and looked the group over once more, as if to solidify their appearances in his mind. “When the singers tell of this time, you shall all be held as high as our greatest warriors. Truly without you, the clans would be extinguished. You have our lasting gratitude.” Once he finished speaking, K’rik turned and loped over the hillside, where several hulking forms stood up from the grass and joined him.

Pinkie Pie smiled happily for the first time in the past week. “I’m glad that we got to see him before we left! Maybe sometime I can actually throw him a party!” The rest of the group smiled at the earth pony’s exuberance, though the smiles soon faded and they started to make their long trek back home.

Celestia paced back and forth impatiently, looking out from her tower’s window every few circuits. It had been a week since Twilight had sent her a short letter saying they were in Appleloosa, and she had been hoping they would make better time. The alicorn had begun to fret, as Twilight’s most recent letters did not say anything other than they had succeeded, and were bringing back a zebra skilled in the use of ritual lines to begin work on the array to stop the anti-magic fields. The number of occurrences had been steadily increasing, and if something wasn’t done soon, even the emergency drafting of able unicorns and pegasi to serve as temporary Guards wouldn’t be enough to handle all the outbreaks.

The past few days had been touch and go; a number of fields had appeared in close proximity to Cloudsdale, right in the path of the city’s drift. It had taken both her and her sister’s strength to stop the city and guide it to safety, now floating serenely over the southern districts of Canterlot. There had been a protest from some of the nobleponies, but a unicorn named Fancypants had used his own influence to silence those dissenters before they could become a real nuisance to the peace.

A blur of motion drew her attention as a pegasus guard swooped in to land on the balcony. “What is it?” Celestia asked anxiously.

“Your highness, we’ve spotted a group of ponies approaching on the western road, it appears to be the Bearers of the Elements, along with two zebras and a covered wagon.”

Celestia nodded. “Thank you, you’re dismissed.” Spreading her wings, she leaped over the railing and flew over the city, heading for the main gate, which was wide open to receive the group trudging wearily through it. Landing a short distance away, Celestia instantly got a feeling of dread as she only saw Twilight, her friends, and the zebras. She put her concern aside for the moment, striding forward to nuzzle her student fondly. “Twilight, I am relieved to see you made it safely home.” Pulling back, her dread returned in force as Twilight’s eyes were downcast. “What’s wrong Twilight?” Without a word, Twilight turned and opened the door to the wagon. Her heart began pounding as she could see a large object taking up the majority of the space inside the wagon, but when Twilight turned back around, time seemed to stop. The bottom dropped out of her chest and with a thump, she fell to her hindquarters as her magic reached out disbelievingly to take hold of Cloudhammer’s helmet. Looking to Twilight for confirmation, she saw the unicorn’s gaze was averted, as was everypony else’s. Hanging her head and closing her eyes, she heard Twilight’s voice.

“Princess, he wanted me to tell you that he gave it everything he had, and that he never backed down.”

“I believe you. He was always so stubborn, even if it were me telling him to do something, if he didn’t agree with it he wouldn’t do it. I’m going to miss him…” Her voice trailed off as a few tears carved trails down her cheeks.

“Well, I’d hold off on the missing me part.”

Celestia’s ears shot bolt upright, her head following suit as her eyes snapped open, peering at the wagon as it rocked slightly. The thud of hooves on wood could be heard as a figure stepped hard onto the cobblestone. Celestia rubbed her eyes to make sure she wasn’t seeing things.

“You’re not going to be rid of me so easily. This old warpony intends to be a stubborn pain in your flank for a while yet.” Cloudhammer stated firmly as he stood there beside the wagon. His body was wrapped in so many bandages that his russet coat was almost completely covered, and a twisting cut wound its way down his face over his left eye. His legs were trembling slightly, but he managed to keep himself upright.

Everypony present would remember for the rest of their lives the expression on Celestia’s face as she looked at Cloudhammer. It looked a curious combination of her wanting to break down and cry, start laughing at his appearance, or to lay him out cold. In the end, nopony got to see what her reaction would be, as a tremulous voice broke the silence.

“C-Cloudhammer?” Everypony’s eyes turned to see a pegasus mare landing a few yards away. Her two-tone orange mane was disheveled, and her vibrant green eyes were welling up with tears.

Cloudhammer slowly turned his head towards the mare, his normally iron-hard eyes the softest anypony present could recall. “Hello dear. Guess I broke that promise about the bandages.”

With a wailing cry, Morning Sun launched herself into flight, crashing into Cloudhammer and knocking them both to the ground in a tangle of legs and wings. Cloudhammer winced as the impacts caused his still-tender injuries to protest painfully, but wrapped his hooves around Morning Sun’s shoulders as she tried to burrow into his chest, tears soaking his bandages. He stroked her mane and laid his head over hers, and Twilight swore she saw a single tear leak from his right eye as he held his wife close. Everypony there smiled at the joyous reunion, and more than a few started to cry as well. Pinkie Pie was blowing her nose into a comically large hoofkerchief, tears fountaining from her eyes and soaking Rarity, who for once decided to ignore it and kept watching, tears of her own streaming down her face. Spike stood next to her, bawling like he’d not done since he was a hatchling, trying hard to hide the tears from his crush. Applejack wiped her eye and smiled, the farm pony not as over the top emotional as her friends, but still moved by the scene in front of her. Twilight sidled over to stand beside Celestia, both of them sharing a tearful smile before turning back to watch the two. Rainbow Dash, surprisingly, found herself crying too, despite her best efforts to hide it. Feeling a hoof on her shoulder, she turned to see Fluttershy holding out a hoofkerchief, despite the tears pouring down her own face. With a nod of thanks, Rainbow took it and wiped her eyes and blew her nose, the two pegasi moving to stand with their friends. Zecora and Rekera were the most stoic of everypony present, though their smiles were as heartfelt as anypony else’s.

Celestia watched the scene with an honest smile creasing her face. She leaned her head down and nuzzled Twilight again, and whispered into her ear, “I hope you realize that if this was intended as a prank, you are in so much trouble.”

Twilight twitched violently, her pupils shrinking to the size of peas. “I’m sorry! His injuries at the time were so severe that I had to put him into a dreamless sleep to let him make it through the first few days. But then he didn’t wake up when he should have, so the zebras built us the wagon to transport him back so that he could be returned to his wife and son. I tried every spell I could think of, and Zecora and Rekera used their best potions, but nothing would wake him up.”

Celestia’s eyes narrowed for a moment, and then relaxed as she could tell that Twilight was speaking the truth. She looked back to the pair of pegasi, when a sudden blur of motion from overhead caught her eye. Looking up, she saw a dark tan blur that flared its wings and landed with a soft thump.

Cloudhammer looked up at the sound and felt his heart catch again in his chest. Standing there breathing hard, was Star Dancer. The young pegasus looked like he hadn’t slept for days, his eyes shadowed as the two looked at each other. Everypony present was silent once more as they waited to see what would happen next.

“Son… I…” Cloudhammer opened his mouth to try and speak, only to be cut off as tan wings enveloped him and Morning Sun, carrying all three of them to the ground. He winced as the impact jarred his newly healed ribs again, but decided it was worth it as he returned his son’s embrace.

“Dad, I’ve never seen you look so ridiculous in my life. What in the world did you pick a fight with this time?” His son’s lilting laugh, so like his mother’s, seemed completely out of place, yet as Cloudhammer pulled back to get a look at his face, he could see the tears falling like rain.

“Well, you know how it goes. Not doing my job right if I’m not making somepony or another mad.” Cloudhammer smiled, which made the cut on his face twist in a particularly gruesome fashion.

Star Dancer looked incredulously at his father for a moment, before his own face broke into a wide smile, and with a sobbing laugh pulled his father into another tight hug. “I missed you Dad, and I’m so sorry for everything I said back then.”

Cloudhammer wondered if his ribs would ever stop hurting, but smiled anyway, his own eyes now tearing up. “No son, you had every right to be angry. I was wrong for trying to push my life onto you. I’m proud to be your father. Now, if you could let me go, I think my old bones would thank you for it.”

Star Dancer nodded shakily, leaning back as his tears continued to fall. He and Morning Sun helped get Cloudhammer back into a sitting position, while overhead the sun shone a little brighter than normal.

Celestia watched the scene for another few moments, before coughing politely. The tangle of pegasi on the ground flailed about until all three were able to get to their hooves. Cloudhammer took a shaky step forward, shaking his head as Morning Sun moved to assist him, and saluted.

“Princess Celestia, I am pleased to report that the mission was a success.” The zebra Rekera,” he indicated her with a hoof, “can instruct the Unicorn Guard and the School unicorns in the creation of the ritual lines needed to perform the spell you have in mind.”

Celestia nodded solemnly, and then broke into a wide smile.

“I never had any doubt. Now Twilight, I expect you and your friends are tired from the long journey home. Why don’t you go rest for now, and we shall begin first thing in the morning. Rekera,” she smiled gently as the zebra bowed deeply, gesturing with a hoof for her to rise, “given the circumstances of our meeting, there’s no need to be so formal. If you desire to rest as well, then you may of course do so. Otherwise, there is much to be done, and time is of the essence.” Rekera bowed her head.

“We can begin at any time your Majesty; working together I am sure we can prevent further tragedy.” Rekera replied softly.

“Very well then. Twilight, if you’d be so kind as to send me a letter once you are ready. Rekera, if you would follow me please.” Celestia turned and started to walk into the palace. After a few steps she stopped, and turned back to Cloudhammer and his family.

“Morning Sun, if it isn’t too much trouble, might you be able to escort Cloudhammer to the hospital? I am sure that he will still need some time to recover from his injuries.” Cloudhammer took a wincing step forward.

“Celestia, I’ve been sleeping for two weeks, I’m more than ready to…” he fell silent as she raised an eyebrow, giving his bandaged-wrapped body a pointed look. “As you wish.”

“Do not fear Captain, there will be more than enough work left for you once you recover fully. We will talk more in the coming days, but for now, please get some rest.” With that, she turned and made her way into the castle, Rekera following along closely.

“Come on Dad, you’ll be out of the hospital in no time. Let somepony else handle things for a little while.” Star Dancer said, deciding to just ignore the glare his father shot his way as he and his mother led Cloudhammer down the street toward the hospital.

Contrary to his son’s optimism, Cloudhammer ended up spending two more weeks in the hospital to fully heal. In addition to the broken wing, he’d suffered several broken ribs, a cracked sternum, a concussion, and a host of other injuries. By the end of the second day, he was driving the hospital staff crazy with his constant griping, and they’d decided to allow him some exercise each day to get some of his stamina back with his left wing.

It was on the third day that he got his first non-family visitor. He’d opened his eyes from a short nap to see Flare standing in the corner, trying very hard to stay quiet.

Cloudhammer sighed and then looked at his longtime friend. He’d honestly missed the unicorn and his nonstop optimism, which while similar to Pinkie’s was at least less in your face. Not to mention he generally stayed in one place and didn’t defy basic physics on a whim.

“Alright Flare; you have permission to speak freely.”

With that, Flare was off, relaying all the news that had built up in Equestria while he was gone. He winced inside at the reports of all the Guard that had been incapacitated by the fields, though fortunately those affected would recover in time according to the doctors.

“So, what was it like out there? You have to save any of the Bearers from getting in over their heads?” Flare asked teasingly, only to cringe as Cloudhammer turned his gaze towards his fellow Captain. He let the silence drag on for a few agonizing minutes before cracking a wry smile.

“Matter of fact I did, and they ended up repaying the favor in the end.” Cloudhammer laughed at the look of consternation on his friend’s face.

“Well don’t just leave me hanging like that! C’mon, I want to hear it all!” Flare protested indignantly.

“Fine, but get settled, the telling will take a while… Let’s see, after we left Canterlot…” Cloudhammer recounted their whole journey, from the trek through the Everfree forest, the Lupus attack, the desert, the savannah, the condition Teneca gave as the requirement for his help, deciding to unite the Canids and zebras to bring down the mad tyrant, and his fight with Teneca.

“… and I blacked out as his hooves were coming down. Next thing I know I’m waking up to hear Celestia saying she’ll miss me.” Flare simply sat there for a few seconds, processing everything he’d heard. It sounded like an adventure straight out of a story, but the proof it had happened was lying right in front of him. Then his eyes narrowed.

“Something doesn’t add up. How did you survive Teneca’s last attack?” Both their heads turned towards a quiet cough and the unicorn standing in the doorway.

“I believe I can answer that for you.” Twilight said as she trotted into the room, levitating a small chest behind her. Setting it on the table, she turned to face them.

“I was trying to use a bolt of force like I did in the Everfree Forest on that Lupus, but couldn’t pull my magic together fast enough. When I heard the crunch, I looked up expecting the worst, but it turns out Okoro and K’rik caught his attack before it hit you. Then the other warriors rushed in and between them all they managed to subdue him. I tried to wake you but you were in really bad shape, so we took you back to the village and spent the next two days stabilizing you and treating the worst of your injuries. I’m sorry I couldn’t strike fast enough to be more helpful.” Twilight finished her story and looked a little awkward for it.

“Well, then it looks like I owe you Twilight. Even if you need more practice with quick casting your magic.” Cloudhammer teased. Twilight blushed a little from embarrassment, and Flare looked aghast at his friend.

“Cloudhammer! I can’t believe you!” Both Cloudhammer and Twilight looked at Flare in confusion. “That was honest to goodness teasing! Of a civilian no less! Just what would General Arrow think of this if he could see it now! I can see it now; the Guard will be the laughingstock of Equestria now that high and noble Cloudhammer has joined the ranks of us lowly ponies with a sense of humor…” His voice trailed off as he made his way out of the room and walked down the hall. Twilight looked at the empty door, now more confused than ever.

“Is he always like that?”

“At least as long as I’ve known him. I think his mother dropped him on his head when he was a colt.” Twilight snorted an involuntary giggle as she turned back to Cloudhammer.

“Well, I need to be going; we’re drafting teams to begin carving the ritual lines across Equestria. We’re hopeful that we can be done in another 2 weeks at the latest. I hope you’ll be recovered by then, and I hope you like what’s in the box.” She smiled softly as she turned and left the room, gently shutting the door behind her.

Cloudhammer sighed as he leaned back in the bed. He looked over at the box, and after a moment reached out and lifted it onto his chest. Opening the lid, he saw a plain book with a black cover, and a note on top hiding the title. He lifted the note with a hoof and started to read…

Dear Cloudhammer,

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you again for everything you did to help me and my friends on this journey. Truly we could not have completed it without you. I also wanted to apologize again for the things I said to you in that tent back in Teneca. You really are a pony of honor, and the Royal Guard is lucky to have you.

Now, as for the book, I was originally taking notes of our journey in order to update the Archives. However, I decided that in addition, I’d take the time and assemble them into a full account of our adventure together. I was even able to get Princess Celestia and Captain Flare to help with putting together the events that occurred before we met. This is the very first copy produced, and we all signed it. Unfortunately Okoro and K’rik could not, but they each added a small note which is included at the end. I hope you enjoy it.

From Your Friends,

Twilight Sparkle, Spike, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Zecora

Setting the note aside, Cloudhammer reached in and lifted the book with his hooves. He smiled softly as he looked at the title.

“In The Name of Honor and Duty, By Twilight Sparkle. Not a bad title, though I’d have chosen something shorter myself.” Cloudhammer laughed to himself as he settled into the bed a little, opening it to the first page.

The next week and a half passed by without incident, relatively speaking. Cloudhammer was bored out of his mind of course, but Flare at least would bring him daily reports about the progress of carving the lines. Some ponies had objected, but their voices were few and far between and Celestia had no trouble assuaging their fears. One morning in particular was exciting, as a grey pegasus mare carrying saddlebags emblazoned with the Ponyville Postal Service logo crashed through his open window, knocking over a rack of medical equipment and tangling herself in the cables.

“Careful there, you could have hurt somepony!” Cloudhammer admonished sternly, before realizing why the crash had occurred in the first place, as the mare looked at him with her apologetic, mismatched eyes.

“Oops, my bad. Also, I have a letter for you!” The mare’s downcast attitude disappeared quickly as she dug around in her saddlebag and produced a slightly crumpled envelope. With a happy smile, she placed it onto his outstretched hoof, which ended up being on his chest. She then saluted cheerfully and tried to fly out the other window, crashing into the glass and slumping to the floor.

“Maybe if you use the door?” Cloudhammer suggested, pointing with a hoof.

“Oh, okay then. Have a great day!” She beamed at him as she walked out the door and disappeared down the hallway. A few quiet seconds went by before a faint crash could be heard. Shaking his head, Cloudhammer looked down at the envelope, before gently opening it and extracting a crudely drawn picture of six ponies standing in a field, with a seventh flying overhead. Peering closer at it, he realized that the drawing was of Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, himself, and three fillies he didn’t recognize. A folded note fell out onto the sheets, and opening it he saw three short paragraphs, each written in a different style.

Dear Mr. Captain Cloudhammer,

Thank you for keeping my big sister Rarity safe. I know she can be annoying and stuffy to get along with, but she’s my only sister and I love her.

Sweetie Belle

Dear Captain Cloudhammer

Thank ya’ll for keepin an eye out fer mah big sis’ Applejack. She can be a mite stubborn at times and Ah’m glad ta know you were there to save her from them mean ol’ Lupuses.

Apple Bloom

Cloudhammer,

Thanks for giving Rainbow Dash the idea for the Double Sonic Rainboom. I guess that makes you almost as cool as her.

Scootaloo

Cloudhammer finished reading with yet another smile on his face, and realized his eyes were getting a little misty at the touching gesture. He set the note gently on the table with the picture and leaned back, soon dozing off into a pleasant nap.

“Alright, is everything in place Flare? YOU THERE, STRAIGHTEN UP THAT FORM! YOU LOT HAVE HAD IT EASY FOR A FEW WEEKS, BUT NOW I’M BACK AND THE VACATION’S OVER!” Cloudhammer bellowed at a pegasus recruit lazily doing a few laps around the training field. The chastised recruit nearly fell from the sky before pulling up and correcting his wingbeat timing. Flare chuckled as they continued toward the palace.

Work on the ritual lines had been completed the previous day, and pegasi sent to fetch the Bearers of the Elements. They’d decided to perform the spell two hours after dawn, so that everypony would be able to get a good night’s sleep and have time for some breakfast. Cloudhammer had of course been up since before the moon set, going over last minute details for ensuring that everything would be where it needed to be in time.

“For the third time Cloudhammer, it’ll be fine. You’re worrying again, just relax. Celestia’s got everything well in hoof and we’ll put an end to these anomalies once and for all, just watch.”

“I suppose you’re right, I’ve just got a weird feeling.” Cloudhammer shook himself a little, his fur feeling on edge for some reason.

“Doesn’t surprise me, this many unicorns in one spot, the kind of magic that’s going to be thrown around is way beyond insane.” Flare commented with a half-forced laugh.

“I guess you’re right. Anyway, let’s get moving. The sooner we get this thing started the sooner we can all take a breather.” Cloudhammer pushed open the side entrance to the castle, the pair making their way down the corridors to the throne room. They had to walk along the side of the corridor as the center was marred by a shallow channel about half a hoof across, which ran along the halls and out the door, branching out as it left the city, along with several others that covered the other cardinal directions. There had been some protest by the Canterlot elite at having their streets scored by the line, but given the enormous distances involved, using anything else wouldn’t guarantee the lines being in place when they were triggered.

Arriving in front of the throne room doors, Cloudhammer pushed them open to see that things were well underway. Celestia and Luna both sat on their thrones, the Bearers of the Elements gathered nearby, as well as several unicorns from the School for Gifted Unicorns. Across the hall Cloudhammer could see Flare conversing with General Amber Dusk, the commanding officer of the Unicorn Guard. Also present were the other captains and the first lieutenants not in the field. What startled him was that he could see Morning Sun and Star Dancer standing off to the side.

“Let Celestia know I’ll be right there.” Cloudhammer trotted over to his wife, the two nuzzling affectionately, much to Star Dancer’s consternation.

“What are you two doing here? I’d been told that only those needed for the casting of the spell would be present.” Morning Sun smiled, and Cloudhammer instantly knew something was up. His wife never got that particular smile unless she was part of something.

“Oh, we received a note suggesting we be here, that’s all.”

“A note, from who?” Cloudhammer never got to hear his wife answer, but didn’t need to as he realized the throne room had fallen silent.

“Captain Cloudhammer, if you’d please step forward and present yourself to this assembly.” Celestia’s voice rang out across the room, yet seemed as if she were whispering to each pony present. Cloudhammer felt his hooves moving even before he’d told them to, and slowly made his way up the center aisle, mindful of the line carved into it. Stopping at the base of the throne, he bowed his chin to the floor, closed his eyes and waited there.

“For those of you present who may not know, Captain Cloudhammer was instrumental in the securing of the means to put an end to these anti-magic fields. He volunteered to escort the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony to the zebra lands in the far west at great risk to himself. I have heard the accounts of each of the Bearers as to his conduct while in the field and have found it to be in the highest standard the Royal Guard could expect of one of their own. He faced impossible decisions and mighty foes, yet never wavered in his loyalty to his Princesses, nor to his fellow ponies. For these acts of bravery beyond call, I have decided that a proper reward is in order.” She lit her horn and the sound of the door behind the throne opening could be heard. The sound of wheels creaking on the marble floor could be heard and soon a grizzled earth pony, wearing only a blacksmith’s garb, came around the throne, pulling a small platform covered with a blanket. Coming to a halt beside the throne, the pony detached himself and stood beside the platform. Lighting her horn, Celestia gripped the blanket in her magic and yanked it off, throwing it out of sight behind the throne.

Everypony present gasped at the sight that had been hidden on the platform. A pony mold in the form of a pegasus stood proudly, wearing a set of shining gold armor. The chestplate’s icon was a hybrid of Celestia’s sun and Luna’s moon, with a pair of wings to match the ones on Cloudhammer’s own chestplate.

“Rise, Captain.” Cloudhammer lifted himself to his hooves, and then felt the floor drift out from under him as he was lifted into the air by Celestia’s magic. He could see the armor on the pony mold being lifted off by an azure field, Luna’s horn glowing as it was brought closer to him. When the field’s touched, they burst into a brilliant light that was somehow not light, blinding everypony in the room. As their vision cleared, they could see a pony-shaped figure floating in front of the thrones, slowly being lowered to the floor. As its hooves touched the floor, the light fell from it in a shower of motes, spreading across the floor like dust before winking out.

Cloudhammer stood there, resplendent in the new armor. His helmet remained unchanged, though the blade now seemed to have its own subtle glow, like that of the moon. He looked the armor over once, and then turned his cold blue eyes back to Celestia, though she could see his heartfelt thanks shining within their depths.

“From now on, serve the throne as Captain no longer, but General Cloudhammer. If you would take your place, General.” Celestia motioned to the empty spot next to the Bearers. With a sharp nod Cloudhammer strode proudly to the designated spot, turning on the spot and sitting on his haunches. Twilight and the others beamed enthusiastically at him, and he allowed the corner of his mouth to quirk upwards for a moment before settling into its usual expression.

“Now that that business is concluded, we must attend to the larger matter at hoof. Bearers, Unicorn Guards, Professors, please join your strength with mine and my sister’s. I shall lead the spell.” With that, Celestia and Luna lit their horns, aiming them toward the line that started at the base of the throne. The Unicorn Guards and the Professors lit their horns; the Bearers closed their eyes in concentration, the jewelry that represented the Elements lighting with their own glow. The light poured into the channel, flowing along it until it turned the corner out of sight. The glow intensified, until everypony present had to shield their eyes.

Twilight could feel the power of the Elements flowing through them, much as it had when they’d purified Luna and resealed Discord. This time was different; she could feel the others from the Unicorn Guards and the School joining them with their own power. Together they strove towards two masses of magic, one as vibrant and warm as the sun, the other as solemn and cold as the moon. Celestia and Luna acknowledged them and reached out, their collective magic uniting into a tidal wave of power that poured unstoppably into the channel cut in the floor. She could feel the power flowing outwards, first through Canterlot, then the surrounding fields, then further and further, reaching for all of Equestria.

As the power flowed, she could sense the anti-magic fields, the dead emptiness where they existed as plain as day to her senses. Together, everypony reached out and drew them into the flow with them, the fields resisting at first but eventually succumbing to the inevitable.

Ponies all over Equestria were awestruck as they watched the phenomenon sweep by. Towering slices of white light raced along the dug channels, turning the bright day into something else entirely. If somepony were to fly high enough, they could see the vast intricacy of the ritual shape taking form, as if some mad god had taken a brush of light and painted directly onto a world’s surface.

Eventually, Twilight sensed that all the fields were within the flow with them, and prepared for the next part, where they would focus on each field and overwhelm it with sheer power. That was when she realized something was wrong. She felt… odd. With a cold spike of fear, she remembered it as the same feeling from her dream. That sensation of familiar strangeness overcame her. The flow soon changed, now pulling them all back the way they had come. She could feel Celestia and Luna struggling to keep the spell moving in the right direction, but it would not be denied and soon they were all tumbling back along the channels, crashing back into themselves in Canterlot. Everypony involved sagged to the floor, breathing hard as the effort of the spell made itself known. Even Celestia and Luna were obviously fatigued. Cloudhammer was at their side as soon as the glow faded from their bodies.

“Celestia, Luna, what’s wrong? Did the spell fail?” He looked back and forth nervously, not sure of what to do next.

“I’m… not sure. It was working for a time, of that I am sure. But something else happened, something altered the spell mid-casting. Twilight, do you have any theories?” The purple unicorn looked up from the floor, panting heavily. She wiped the sweat from her face and wearily got to her hooves.

“I’m not sure either. I do remember feeling something… something like what I felt in the dream I told you about. But I’m not sure what it meant…” Twilight was cut off as a scream of surprise echoed across the room.

Cloudhammer instantly tensed, snapping his wings up as he leaped across the room towards his wife, who was staring out the window in shock. Star Dancer was staring as well, as though in some horrible recognition.

“What is it? What do you see?” As he landed next to them, he looked out onto the city to see nothing amiss, until he realized that the day was too bright. Lifting his gaze, he froze as his eyes finally saw what his wife and son did. A large white disc hung in the sky, illuminating the city below like a second sun. Celestia, followed closely by everypony else, joined them at the window, all staring in shock and awe at the spectacle before them.

“Alright. Captain Shimmer, you need to take the first lieutenants, along with any recruits you can find. Disperse the recruits around the city; there’ll be a lot of panicking ponies out there. Next, have First Lieutenant Spark and Second Lieutenants Breeze and Dawn head out to the Guards we stationed in the other cities, and bring them home. Finally, I want you to find General Arrow and give him this.” Cloudhammer snatched up a scrap of parchment sitting on a nearby table along with a quill and scribbled furiously for a few seconds, before handing it to the pegasus. “We’re going to need everypony working together on a plan for this. Do you understand me?” Shimmer nodded sharply, gesturing to Willow Spark before they leaped into the air, speeding out the throne room doors and down the hall.

Cloudhammer turned and trotted back to stand beside Celestia as they stared out at the disc.

“What in the world is it?” He asked quietly.

“I have no idea.” She replied.

He flew down the hallway, eyes fixed on the door at the far end. The two guards on either side took note of his haste and the panic in his eyes, and didn’t offer the usual challenge as he went past them, throwing open the door. Inside, a pair of cold blue eyes behind the desk looked up in shock and irritation at the interruption.

“Just what is going on?”

“Sir, you need to read this right now.” He dropped the message he’d been carrying on the desk and shoved it across. The cold blue eyes scanned it quickly, then froze and re-read it. They finally looked up, tinges of real fear beginning to become visible.

“What in the world is it?”

“We don’t know, Mr. President.”



Author’s Note: I want to thank everyone who followed me along on this wonderful, incredible journey. Truly I would not have been able to finish this story without all your love and support. I hope you enjoyed this tale and will come back for the sequel to In Duty’s Name, The Conversion Bureau: The First Year.

Comments ( 53 )

You really made me believe you had killed off Cloudhammer there, damn. Well played. You also had me going 'not the eye, not the eye!'

Teneca was such an asshat. Holy hell. But Okoro and K’rik were pretty cool. I also really liked the way you wrote Zecora, that must have just been a pain. Chapter 13. Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Plus wow.

I liked that Dash finally came to mutual respect with Cloudhammer, that worked for me very well.

I am not sure how I felt about Pinkie Pie, though. In some ways I feel she was kind of wasted, to tell the truth. Then again, I'm not sure what I would suggest have been done with her. She's a tough character for a story of conflict and war. That said, I am really tired of her only wanting to throw everypony a party.

I liked the way the battles played out, and the weaponry was interesting. Helmet blades just seem so perfectly right, also.

The effort you made to create culture was not lost on me, I always admire attentive worldbuilding.

There is one thing I would like to say - there is something about this story that reminds me of the way the Oz books by Baum were constructed, and I wonder if those treasures of literature in any way inspired you. I do not mean that your story in any way resembles the plot of an Oz book, rather that there is an Ozian feel about it, and I assure you this is a high compliment indeed.

The ending was intriguing, and I wonder if you will take the implications further, or leave them where they are.

253872 I agree with you on Pinkie Pie, I really wanted to write her better, but sweet Celestia she is hard to write for. I'll make her better in the next story, I promise :twilightsmile:

I also think maybe having the entire mane six + Spike along was a little much for my first try, but I couldn't really come up with a logical reason why Celestia would only send one or two of them, not to mention that all of them contributed their different talents. Except for Pinkie... My original idea had her participating in the battle, but ended up having events in Chapter 14 play out as they did to make it less giant sweeping battle and more of a one on one between Cloudhammer and Teneca (since they were built to be polar opposites of each other, though both started with the same goals)

I will admit that I've not read any of the Oz books, so I am pleased that I was able to invoke, at least in part, something akin to the feeling those books gave :twilightsmile:.

And as for the ending, how can I let something like that sit there? The wheels are already in motion, and expect to have Chapters 1 and maybe 2 written soon, just need to consult my advisors a little bit more :trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright:

My good chum, this was quite possibly the steepest cliff I have ever been left hanging from. And trust me on this one, I've hung from some steep cliffs. Living in the Rockies for a while presents that situation from time to time.

Anyway - Capt.'s supposed "death". Brilliant. Sheer, bloody brilliance. I actually got up from my seat and fist-pumped wildly when he got out of the wagon. Sadly, it was in the middle of class. My psychology professor now thinks I've got some kind of condition.

GOOD CLOPPIN' STORY!!!

Such impressive endings are hard to find (sorry if this is too short but im bad with words), this is best endong possible :yay: also Rust ... make it look that of condition....

A non comedy self insert made it onto EqD?...

That's... New...

It's rough writing stories with all the main six, as well as the various hangers-on, attendants, OC protagonists, princesses, extras, etc. I'm only a few chapters in, so it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

The only quibble I have so far is the apparent enmity between the captain and his son. I've been in the military for a while, and I have never, ever met a servicemember in any branch or specialty who was upset because their son or daughter did not want to join the service. Children must live their own lives -- it is the height of selfishness to assume they must follow our path.

Is been a wile since ive read a really good fict that literally grabbed me by the throat great work Cloudhammer
Also
“We don’t know, Mr. President.”
I was chuckling xD

All i have to say is "OH CELESTIA !!! It's a gateway ") More coming i hope .

305013 Indeed there is, my new story, The Conversion Bureau: The First Year is a direct sequel :twilightsmile:

309318 Only the tabtaki speak in rhyme, the better to focus the mind. The other zebras speak normally since writing that many characters rhyming at once would cause massive headaches on my part :rainbowlaugh:

309515

Ah, they suffer from the dreaded Lazy Writer-itis, eh?
:trollestia:

Just kidding, brother! Keep up the great work!

This is really one of the best stories ive ever read! Definetly in my top 5! Cant wait for the next story!:raritystarry:

Whoo, colt. Just finished this. Good, I say. However, I would agree with the poor usage of Pinkie Pie - and I sympathize; she can be quite hard to write for. On the whole, however, this was great! Even if some points along the story irked me a bit, it was never enough to give me much pause, or to make me want to stop reading. :pinkiehappy:

Now onward to the sequel!

Finally, finished reading this. Remember when you linked me to this? It was like a month ago.

Excellent cliffhanger, nice setup, and the characters seem to be spot-on. It's going in my favourites.

I loved it!!!!!....Except the end. I as a preference do not like conversion burueu stories.

464864 I agree, my use of Pinkie in this story was terrible

465311 well, it was less a coffin and more a litter(or just a coffin with the lid off)... and he was just comatose

This was such a good read. I hope there's a sequel.

618559 There is, The Conversion Bureau: The First Year continues where In Duty's Name left off

You don't know me but your story was the first I ever read on this site.Several times before signing up. It just got better and better. I learned a lot. Best story ever up there!^^^^^^^ :pinkiehappy: I hope to be as good a writer as you someday.

634523 Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed the story :twilightsmile:

THERE I READ YOUR STORY AND IT WAS REALLY GOOD

Fell behind just after Rainbow beat Cloudhammer. Have just now caught up. Pretty cool, looking forward to the sequel.

"Celestia paced back and forth impatiently, looking out from her tower’s window every few circuits. "
Wat.

“In The Name of Honor and Duty, By Twilight Sparkle. Not a bad title, though I’d have chosen something shorter myself.”
I see what you did there :rainbowkiss:

Okay, that was an amazing book, I wish I hadn't just heard about it though because that meant I knew there was a sequel which made the ending not as surprising. I thought the book was thought out, liked Cloudhammer (well all of your characters), but he felt real. The only problem I had was with the whole litter thing, it was really emotional, but have seen that more than a few times. That is probably because if used well it invokes such thought and emotion. I know it is really nit-picky but can't think of anything else to complain about. :pinkiehappy:
Now I get to read the sequel. yay.

I must write this comment to say that it is a well-written story, even if it lacks some Pinkie Pie (and Spike too, but I know it is hard to focus on each character equally and each author has its favorites :twilightsmile: ). But I like how you descibe the Zebras and Canids land, and you manage us to like Cloudhammer, with his strengths and his weaknesses. Excellent work ! :yay:

Amazing stuff, i'd heard of the conversion bureau but never really looked into it but now I feel I must.:moustache:

Like, five ponies told me to read this.

So I'm going to read it.

While I love this story, I'm not so sure about the ending.

Portal to the human world? Why? I already know a lot about Earth - I'd rather know more about the world that Equestria is in.


Still, fun read. Glad I read it.

958819 The rift to Earth is because I originally conceived In Duty's Name as a prequel to The Conversion Bureau: The First Year.

You magnificent bastard, I thought you actually had done it there at the end, of course, I think I forgot your screen for a second too. I'll admit, I read this because I wanted to read it's sequel, but by even half way through I had completely forgotten any ulterior motives!

Oh, but the way you ended some of those chapters, glad I wasn't waiting a week for each! I really felt for the Captain, I mean, he was stubborn, callous, insensitive, and really one of the most likable characters I've seen! His moments of feeling and inner turmoil fit him perfectly; every inch the stallion he should have been!

1023998 Well, I'm glad you liked it. Hope you enjoy the sequel as well :twilightsmile:

1134491 Well, hope you continue to like it. I will apologize in advance, I didn't do as good a job with Pinkie Pie as I could have. I'm going to come back and fix it at some point, just need to get my ideas out of my head first :rainbowlaugh:

Oh wow. What a twist.
Amazing story. Can't wait to read sequel.
...
Oh yeah it's already finished. *goes to read sequel*

1507744 Heh, got a whole lot of pony words to go through. One recommendation I make is to read Finding Your Wings before chapter 8 of The First Year. It's just my intro fic for Sky Limit

1507764
Will do Captain General!:trollestia:

2135023
Yeah. To be honest, the whole story needs a total overhaul. But eh, more stories ahead of it that i want do more :rainbowlaugh:

2135141
Well, no. My basic idea of Celestia is she is pretty much an absolute power in her own reality (what's now known as Equestria)

2135228
When I wrote this, I'd had absolutely zero training in how to write fiction. I kind of just dove in :rainbowlaugh:

2140525
She was there, but I was having problems dealing with so many characters at once for my first story. You'll see it really shine through in Pinkie Pie, writing for her is incredibly hard :rainbowlaugh:

Yes....yesss......EEEEYYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!:flutterrage:

Once they started the ritual, I was cackling madly. I knew what was coming, and it was oh so delicious to watch it unfold. Now the true fun begins...ehehahahahaha:pinkiecrazy:

An excellent story mister Fangwarden. I am very glad I came upon this. Now it is time to move to the next story in the line...The story where things take the turn for the scary, the crazy, the mindblowing, and the fun.

*resumes maniacal laughter*

2200355

I...don't think that's quite the issue I'm having with her in this. :rainbowderp:

2200364
So sue me, I was young, dumb, and trying to put words to screen/paper for the first time ever :rainbowwild:

2200391

It's not that. It's more...I dunno. The way you write her makes her seem weird to me cause it's like she's trying to be everybody's mother and that just...I dunno. It rubs me the wrong way.

2200400
Good, then you're doing it right. My Celestia on the surface is warm, compassionate, and truly desires her subjects wellbeing above all. Underneath that and through the veil, she's harshly calculating and very rarely caught by surprise. To phrase it better, she's a chessmaster that always sees ten moves ahead and back. For a chessboard with pieces numbering in the millions :rainbowlaugh:

2200425

Not really in the chessmaster way. She comes off as...mentally irregular. :twilightoops:

dam i love it:heart::heart::heart::heart::fluttershysad::fluttercry:

Login or register to comment