• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 6,170 Views, 149 Comments

In Duty's Name - Cloudhammer



A Royal Guard pegasus gets more than he bargained for on his last deployment

  • ...
17
 149
 6,170

14 - The Storm Breaks

Chapter 14 – The Storm Breaks

The sun’s bottom edge was touching the horizon as Cloudhammer and the others finally climbed out of the Canid tunnel near the fork in the road. Cloudhammer instinctively unfurled his wings, glad to finally be out of the confining tunnels and back under the open sky. Twilight, Applejack and Okoro were equally relieved, though they were more happy to have fresh air to breathe again. Being stuck underground with a bunch of dirty dogs was not particularly kind on the nose.

“K’rik shall see you when the sun has reached the top of the sky.” Cloudhammer turned back to look at the massive Canid, and now that they were outside in the light he wondered why it was everything on this journey had to be bigger than him.

“Just stick to the plan and this will work.” ‘I hope’ Cloudhammer mentally added.

K’rik nodded once and lumbered back into the darkness of the tunnel, and a spray of dirt backfilled the entrance until it just looked like another patch of ground. Cloudhammer flicked some of the dirt of his chestplate and looked at the others.

“Alright, let’s get back. We need to fill the others in and figure out how best to tell Teneca without him suspecting us.” Okoro thought for a moment and then grinned.

“I believe I can help with that. However, I suggest that we split up upon returning to Teneca, you and I shall go speak to Teneca, while Twilight and Applejack,” the two mares seemed surprised at first that Okoro referred to them by name, but smiled nonetheless, “will go back to the tent and start to fill in the others on the plan. Once we finish speaking to Teneca, you can go and explain the rest. I will go and spread the word amongst my shuganaji to be ready.”

Cloudhammer nodded his assent and then turned to look at the setting sun, now halfway below the horizon.

“Alright, let’s get going.”

“And after interrogating the prisoner, we left him hogtied in the cavern we found him in. With the rest of the dogs gone, he will not find water in time and perish of thirst.” Okoro finished calmly, projecting an edge of satisfaction into her tone as the lie played out.

Teneca sat back in his throne, thoughtfully tapping a hoof against his chin. His cold eyes glanced over to Cloudhammer, lingering there for a few long moments before closing.

“And you say that their plan is to try and distract our warriors by faking a frontal attack and then emerging from underground to strike at our foals and tabtaki? Then tell us why we should not simply remain within the city walls and wait them out?” His eyes opened as Cloudhammer began to speak.

“If they do not see you coming out to meet them, then they can simply bottle you within the city and outwait you. Without a steady supply of food the city will starve. Furthermore, K’rik hopes to make you do just that, as eventually discontent will bring the city down without him needing to lift a talon to do so. Therefore, I propose splitting up your forces. Take your personal guard and meet K’rik in the field, while Okoro’s warriors remain behind the walls to safeguard the civilian populace.” Cloudhammer’s expression didn’t change as Teneca heaved himself up from his throne, walking around the fire pit to stand before him and Okoro. He sat down and looked first to Okoro, then to Cloudhammer.

“And your warriors will agree to stay within the walls while glory is won by others?”

“They will complain, but they will gladly do their duty to Teneca and their families.” Okoro replied without hesitation.

“Very well, we will go with this plan of yours. However, as reward for the great deed you both have done, you shall have the privilege of accompanying me in the field and watching me strike down the beast K’rik. After that, you shall have the aid of any of my tabtaki, as I promised you, Cloudhammer of the Royal Guard. Now, I need to be alone with my warriors to prepare them for the task ahead. Return to your tents and be ready for when I summon you.”

“If I may make one final request, as I will be serving with your warriors that I be permitted to restore my weapon to its proper place.”

Teneca nodded absently, already gesturing for his warriors to come to his side as he returned to the throne.

Cloudhammer and Okoro bowed respectfully before withdrawing from the tent. Once outside, he nodded to Okoro and made his way down the city streets to the tent set aside for them. Nosing the flap aside, he could see the group looking up attentively from the map they were gathered around, before relaxing as they saw it was him. He saw Pinkie’s mouth moving, but couldn’t hear anything. Assuming by the winces from the others that she was shouting, he crossed the space and felt something akin to the ozone in a lightning storm pass over his body, causing all the hairs to stand up briefly before lying flat again. He shook himself irritably; he’d always disliked that about magic.

“Alright everypony, let’s get down to business, we don’t have much time. Twilight, how much have you told them?”

“I explained what Rarity, Spike, Fluttershy and Zecora are supposed to do. I was about to explain to Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. Do you want to take care of that?”

“Sure. Alright, Rainbow, I think you’ll like your part in this plan. I want you to get yourself airborne, high enough to stay out of sight, but still able to see this area here.” He indicated the relevant spot on the map with a hoof. “Right before Teneca’s zebras reach the diamond dogs, I want you to incapacitate the majority of his underlings.”

“How the hay am I supposed to pull that off?!” Rainbow snapped. Cloudhammer tilted his head quizzically.

“It’s my understanding you pulled off quite the impressive trick during the last Best Young Flyers Competition. I suspect that nopony would like you doing that directly over their heads, now would they?”

Rainbow furrowed her brow in concentration before she remembered and a devious grin lit up her face.

“Oh yea, that trick. Don’t worry, I won’t let you down.” She gave a salute, and Cloudhammer returned it by bringing his right hoof to his chestplate. She stared at him for a minute before lowering her hoof, her magenta eyes wide.

“Don’t act so surprised Rainbow. You may lack discipline, but you’ve got the guts for sure. Don’t forget that.” Cloudhammer nodded firmly to her and then turned his gaze to Pinkie. The party pony was bouncing excitedly in place, and Cloudhammer shook his head in resignation.

“Pinkie… I’ll need you to stay within the city walls for this. I think things are going to be crazy enough out there without you” Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing a half hoof off the ground, then slowly lowered herself to the dirt.

“Hey! I wouldn’t hurt anypony! I’ll just throw them a Stop-Listening-To-Such-A-Meanie-Head Party!” Pinkie had started bouncing again and soon bounced her way out of the silencing spell and started rummaging through her bags, before she suddenly crawled into one. Everypony watched the clearly too small bag for a few moments before she popped her head out of another one, looking around confusedly.

“Now I know I put it in here somewhere, must have taken a wrong turn back there.” Pinkie ducked her head back into the bag and then emerged from a third one, covered head to hoof in streamers and confetti.

“I suppose asking how she does that is a moot point, isn’t it?” Cloudhammer asked nopony in particular.

“Though it is hard to believe my eye, nothing surprises me anymore about Pinkie Pie.” Zecora piped up.

“Alright then, let’s get some rest everypony; it’s going to be a long day tomorrow.” Cloudhammer looked at Twilight for a moment. “Twilight, I need you and Rarity’s assistance first.”

“Whatever for?” Rarity asked, as Cloudhammer trotted over to Twilight’s bags. Nosing one open, he drew out a plain bag, rectangular in shape. Rarity’s eyes widened in realization and she joined Twilight in crossing the tent. “Of course my dear. As strange as it makes me feel saying it, that helmet simply looked ghastly without its most defining attribute.” Looking around at everypony’s deadpan expression, she lifted an eyebrow quizzically. “What? It’s true, after all.”

The tent echoed with the sounds of friends laughing as the faint glow of magic came from within. If they had known what the next day would bring, they would’ve spent more time together than they did.

Twilight found it darkly ironic that a day that could herald actual fighting and death would start so bright and cheerful. They had all slept surprisingly well, waking just as the sun was cresting the horizon. They had been treated to a filling, if not particularly tasty breakfast by Okoro and her warriors, the normally dour zebras even more subdued than usual. Once breakfast had finished, she, Rainbow Dash and Applejack took their leave to get their part in the plan set up, while Cloudhammer and Okoro went off toward Teneca’s tent to prepare. Cloudhammer’s helmet shone like new in the morning light, the helmet blade once more in its rightful place. Watching until he rounded the corner and vanished from sight, she turned to the others with a smile on her face but worry in her eyes.

“Alright girls, let’s get ready.” She felt her doubts lessen as her friends all smiled cheerfully, though she could see their own concerns smoldering in their body language.

Meanwhile, Cloudhammer shot a glance back over his shoulder in the direction of the tent he’d left Twilight and the others at. He was sure that the plan would work, but did not enjoy the idea of bringing civilians into a fight, especially these mares. He snorted as he tried to bring his thoughts back into focus.

“The time before battle is always hard. Those ponies will be fine though, and your plan will work.” He glanced over at Okoro as she grinned, though even her expression was forced.

“I suppose you’re right. Now let’s just cross our hooves and hope things work out for the best.” Further conversation was forestalled as they saw Teneca and a large group of his warriors gathered ahead of them. The massive zebra was wearing an imposing set of armor fashioned from river devil hide, and both his forelegs bore a curving blade. His rear hooves were encased in roughly beaten steel, and a helm made of a river devil skull was atop his head. Cloudhammer hesitated for a moment as this towering monstrosity turned it’s burning gaze toward him, then snapped back into reality as it laughed merrily.

“Good, good. I am glad to have you both at my side for this. This victory is as much yours as it is mine, Cloudhammer, Okoro. Now, let us march, a peaceful future awaits us!” Teneca turned and started speaking to his warriors in the zebra tongue; though judging from his increasingly wild gesturing Cloudhammer guessed he was whipping them into a frenzy. The other zebras confirmed this by becoming increasingly rowdy until with a final roaring shout Teneca set off toward the main gate, Cloudhammer and Okoro following behind, giving each other one more worried look before they fell into the formation.

Marching down the street, Cloudhammer was surprised to see that the entire city had turned out, crowding the side streets and forming a solid wall of black and white. Looking at their faces he saw lots of them cheering and stomping their hooves on the ground, but what caught his attention was that the broad smiles and cheers on their muzzles didn’t get any higher than there. He wondered what else Teneca had been keeping from him, but shrugged it off as something to speak to Okoro about once this whole mess had settled out.

They marched towards the gate, passing by a small splash of purple and orange that stood out among the black and white. Cloudhammer nodded imperiously to Twilight, who ducked her head in return as they passed by before turning to Applejack. The two mares took one last look at the receding band of warriors before they turned and made their way through the crowd, soon rounding a bend and disappearing into the depths of the city.

Cloudhammer blinked a drop of sweat from his upper eyelid as they marched out of the city and towards the tall ridge that overlooked the city. He felt the glares of the other zebras, their resentment at his being granted a place by Teneca’s side in what would be the extermination of the plague that the Canids were on their homeland. He felt the slight stirring of the breeze and looked to the east, where a few stray clouds could be seen scudding across the sky. Looking up to the sun, he felt his mouth moving as he muttered the ancient oath of the Guard.

“Fire within. Fire above.” He finished the oath as they crested the ridge. Looking down on the opposite side of the savannah, they could see nothing beyond the crest of the next hill. They waited there for several long minutes, while Teneca’s impatience rose and Cloudhammer began to hope that the gamble they’d taken wasn’t about to go very badly.

“I find myself beginning to wonder, Cloudhammer, if this ‘prisoner’ you caught wasn’t in fact intended to be left behind in order to lure my forces from the city. If this turns out to be true, then I will be most disappointed and may find it needed to alter the terms of our deal.” Teneca’s voice was for the most part level, though the undercurrents of a rising anger could be heard.

“I remain firm in my opinion that the prisoner was telling the truth.” Cloudhammer kept his eyes looking forward, mentally berating K’rik for being late, himself for not thinking of a better plan sooner and Teneca for being raving insane in the first place.

“For your own sake, you had best be…” Teneca stopped as motion became visible on the other ridge. Dirt and savannah grass heaved upward as K’rik and twenty of his biggest diamond dogs pulled themselves from the ground’s embrace. K’rik had donned a set of armor made from river devil plating, and Cloudhammer strangely found himself wondering if there were any river devils left alive, since everypony and their cousin seemed to have armor made from the things. His attention was then caught by the massive weapon K’rik carried in one paw. One end of it was long and pointed like an oversized fishing spear, and the other end bore an enormous curving blade, serrated at the upper end. He carried a shield carved from a piece of what looked like a single piece of wood on his other arm.

“It seems you were right after all Cloudhammer. Now, let us finish this. SHUGANAJI! THE TIME HAS COME TO PURGE THE DOG SCUM FROM OUR LANDS! PROVE YOUR WORTH AND SERVE YOUR KING AND PEOPLE! THE STORYTELLERS WILL SING SONGS OF YOUR BRAVERY FOR GENERATIONS TO COME! NOW GO, and leave none alive.” The last was spoken in a savage growl, and the warriors surged forward, galloping down the hill like a flood. Teneca lead the charge, Cloudhammer and Okoro following close behind him. Cloudhammer shot a glance to his right, where he could see a flash of purple light. He looked up and saw that the key piece of his idea was falling into place. Nudging Okoro, who looked up and nodded her recognition, she pulled back and fell in beside Cloudhammer, who was counting down the seconds while letting the other zebras start get ahead of them.

“Ten… Nine… Eight… Seven… Six… Five… Four… Three… NOW!” Cloudhammer and Okoro flung themselves to the ground, clapping their hooves to their ears. The zebras still passing them looked up, but didn’t have time to react at what they saw.

‘Oh Celestia, if the Wonderbolts could see me now!’ Rainbow Dash thought to herself as she flew faster than she ever had before. A boring pain in the flank he may be, but Cloudhammer definitely knew a thing or two about speed. She’d only understood half of what Twilight had said the spell would do; something about increasing how aerodynamic she was… all she cared about was that she’d be able to pull off a Sonic Rainboom with a lot less altitude. But when she’d said that, Cloudhammer had shaken his head, and proposed the second half of his idea, which got Rainbow grinning ear to ear. It had admittedly been hard to dive straight at the ground without trying to pull up, but right before impact the flash of Twilight’s magic had sent her to directly over Teneca’s warriors, already feeling the air strain against her like when she’d last done the Sonic Rainboom. But this time was different, as she prepared to snap to flying parallel to the ground, she could see a second layer to the cone. She wondered what it could mean for a second before her eyes widened as it hit her. Gritting her teeth in joyful determination, she pushed her wings even harder, feeling the screaming of the muscles in her right side as the air pushed back one final time before snapping with an earsplitting crack, followed immediately by a second one as she performed the world’s first Double Sonic Rainboom.

The sound was almost too much for her, causing her vision to swim and as she soared onward she looked back to see her usual rainbow trail shot through with purple sparks as the spell sloughed off her. Then the buffeting wind hit her and knocked her head over hooves, her wings useless as she hurtled toward the ground. She saw her vision get obscured by a purple glow and her speed abruptly slow to a stop as Twilight strained against her momentum before she finally stopped. As the magic released her, she fell to the ground with a thump. Fighting her tormented muscles, she lifted her head to see a pair of rainbow-hued circles spreading outwards within the shallow valley. Her face brightened with a tired smile.

“Ha! Like to see em call THAT an old mare’s tale back in Cloudsdale!” Rainbow crowed as she collapsed onto her back and passed out.

Cloudhammer had thought he’d be alright with his hooves pressed to his ears, but the second explosion had caught him by surprise, their combined sound causing his bones to feel like they were vibrating right out of his body. Finally the roar of noise subsided and he gingerly uncovered his ears. Looking around he could see Okoro struggling to her hooves, shaking her head to try and sort out where she was relative to the ground.

“By the Pale Mare, what was that?” Okoro asked shakily, looking at Teneca’s fallen warriors. Most were outright unconscious, but a few were flailing about in pain from their assaulted eardrums. Teneca himself was lying still, barely breathing.

“In the name of the Alpha, K’rik has never seen anything like it.” The massive Canid spoke in soft awe as he and his warriors descended the hill. With a few short gestures they started binding the fallen zebras with woven cord. Approaching Teneca, K’rik slung his axe-spear across his back and crouched on his haunches. “I admit Cloudhammer of the Royal Guard; I expected this plan to go much…”

He never got to finish as Teneca surged to his hooves, bowling the startled canine over with a yelp. Rearing up onto his rear legs, he prepared to drive both his forehooves into the diamond dog's chest. K'rik rolled sideways, unlimbering his axe-spear as he did so. Throwing himself into a crouch, K’rik began to circle Teneca, both fighters waiting for an opening.

“Teneca, it’s over. You cannot win, so surrender.” Cloudhammer moved to stand next to K’rik, his wings flaring slightly.

“It is not over, lying pony filth. When I finish the dog, I will rend the wings from your body, and send your corpse to your precious Princesses. I will perhaps even lead my army east and burn your homeland to the ground, as you seek to do with mine.” Teneca’s eyes rolled wildly and he foamed a little at the corners of his mouth. The surrounding dogs by now had stopped tying the zebras and were watching him with wary eyes. One of the half-tied zebras shook himself free and stood, the dog that had been tying him taking a half step to the side. The zebra looked hard at the diamond dog, then turned to Teneca and limped slowly to his side. The zebra whispered a few short sentences into Teneca’s ear. Teneca seemed to sag, staring at the ground for a few minutes. With a heavy sigh he lifted his head, and muttered a short phrase back. The zebra took a step back and nodded respectfully.

He never saw it coming. As soon as he stepped back, Teneca spun, his right foreleg striking out in a horizontal arc. Everypony present watched in horror as the zebra gaped in shock, putting his hooves to his neck in an attempt to stop the bleeding. It only took a few seconds for his eyes to roll back into his head and his body to slump to the dirt.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!?” Cloudhammer bellowed in outrage, snapping his wings out with a rasp of steel on steel.

“I AM THE RULER OF THIS SAVANNAH. ANY CREATURE THAT DEFIES ME WILL PAY WITH THEIR LIFE!” Teneca roared back, before turning his attention to K’rik. The maddened zebra charged in, slashing and striking wildly with his blades and hooves. K’rik managed to parry or dodge most of his attacks, but here and there the zebra’s strikes hit home. Soon the diamond dog was bleeding from a dozen minor cuts, his shield was deeply gouged and his armor was gone save for a leg guard and half his breastplate. Teneca charged in and reared, K’rik raising his axe-spear to block the strike. Too late he realized the feint as Teneca hooked the blade with his left blade, yanking it free and throwing it to the side. His right hoof lashed out, striking K’rik in the chest and knocking him flat on his back.

Teneca strode triumphantly up to the fallen canine, breathing heavily, eyes still rolling as he glanced around, seeing that all his warriors were on their hooves, staring at him.

“Shuganaji! Deal with the rest of these mongrels while I finish this piece of filth!” Teneca’s eyes narrowed as the other zebras looked at each other uncertainly, before Okoro walked to stand in front of them.

“Teneca, you have desecrated your blade with the blood of your own. We will not follow the rule of a lunatic such as you.” Okoro’s voice wavered, but her eyes burned with determination. The other zebras looked at each other uncertainly before reaching an unspoken decision. As one they took up formation behind Okoro and joined in the glare of condemnation. Teneca jerked his head back as if struck, his pupils shrinking to tiny dots. Looking desperately from one zebra’s eyes to another’s, he finally sagged, slumping to the ground. Okoro relaxed slightly, relieved that it was finally over.

Cloudhammer was already moving as Teneca lunged for Okoro, intending to strike her down for her insolence. The gold and white blur slammed into the zebra’s side, knocking him to the ground, while Cloudhammer rolled past him and back onto his hooves.

“So, you desire to die as well? Then I will grant your wish.” Teneca screamed in blind rage and charged, Cloudhammer snapping his wings up and digging his hoof into the ground.

Twilight had never run this fast in her life. After catching Rainbow and helping Applejack tend her pulled muscles from the Double Sonic Rainboom, she’d looked up to see Teneca strike down one of the zebras. Leaving Applejack to keep an eye on Rainbow, she’d tried to teleport, but the range was too great given her current magical reserves. Sprinting along the ridge she saw Okoro confronting Teneca, and Cloudhammer stop the fatal strike. Finally skidding to a halt next to Okoro, she took a moment to get her breath. The zebras and dogs barely acknowledged her, all their attention was focused on the fight going on before them.

Cloudhammer and Teneca spun around each other like leaves in a twister, occasionally closing to strike at each other before pulling away. Cloudhammer had the advantage of speed on his side, but the armor Teneca wore was too thick for him to land a telling blow and remain nimble enough to escape the counterattack. Teneca had managed to land only three solid hits, but all of those hits were driven by his larger size and insanity-gifted strength. The gold armor had two dents in it, and the winged sun on his chestplate had one of the wings snapped off. Looking closer Twilight could see a few small cuts on his legs, and the helmet had its straps severed, a shallow cut on his neck evidence of a narrow miss.

As Cloudhammer rolled out of the way of another strike, Twilight realized that he was starting to slow down. She tried frantically to think of a spell that could help in this situation, but couldn’t keep her focus. A sharp cry of pain brought her attention back to the front, in time for her to scream in terror.

Teneca had finally gotten lucky with one of his kicks, and had struck Cloudhammer on his left wing, tearing out half the feathers and breaking the limb. Cloudhammer had been flung ten pony-lengths from the force of the impact, and was struggling to rise to his hooves as Teneca approached him. Raising his left foreleg, Teneca grinned madly as he brought the blade down towards Cloudhammer’s face. Twilight winced as the sharp squeal of steel on steel rang out, Cloudhammer barely managing to bring his helmet blade in to block the strike. Teneca bore down, the lower edge of the blade grinding its way inexorably towards Cloudhammer’s left eye. With a triumphant bellow Teneca jerked the blade away, a spray of red arcing into the air as Cloudhammer clapped a hoof to his eye. Taking advantage of Cloudhammer’s momentary pause, Teneca gripped the helmet blade in his mouth and yanked upwards, throwing the helmet to the side. Cloudhammer’s head slowly changed color back to its russet tone

Standing over the fallen pegasus, Teneca savored the moment as he reared back, his foreleg blades glinting in the light of the sun.

“This foolish resistance ends now.” As he drove his hooves down towards Cloudhammer’s head, Twilight screamed again, her horn lighting as she prepared another bolt of force.

This time, she wasn’t fast enough.

The blades came down.

A muted crunch echoed across the savannah, fading quietly into the late spring sky.