• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 6,810 Views, 19 Comments

White Demure - Heitomos



A filly is stricken with a terrible disease. Can she be saved in time?

  • ...
1
 19
 6,810

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash: Part 1

"Ugh! Finally! Now we can get moving." Rainbow Dash said, sighing as she and Fluttershy trotted away from Rarity's boutique.

"Oh, well, it wasn't all that bad. She just wanted to help you... and we did get these nice outfits." The yellow pegasus said, her face taking on to a smile as she admired her new cold weather clothes, liking them despite Rarity's harsh critique.

"Yeah, there is that. Considering how high up I think we're going, these clothes should keep us from freezing our flanks off." Dash said as she looked over her parka, "Too bad they can't cover our wings, that's going to be bad once we reach the mountain... Anyway, I'm ready to go. I have all my things in my cloud home, so I can grab that in no time. What about you?"

"Oh I umm... I almost forgot about all of the animals! I have to find somepony that'll take care of them... I'm sorry Rainbow Dash." The shy pegasus said, lowering her head.

"What? Unnngh... But we have to hurry Fluttershy!" The blue pegasus shouted.

When she saw that Fluttershy cowered slightly at her words, she softened her expression a bit and sighed, "Sorry. All this is just getting to me, I guess. Alright. I'll go and get my things; you go and find somepony to watch your animals. And try to be quick about it."

"Oh, yes, alright. I'm so sorry, Rainbow. I'll try and hurry up... so I'll be going now; If that's alright with you, that is..."

Rainbow Dash groaned in frustration and decided to just fly off without a response. The pegasus took to the clouds, leaving her friend to deal with whatever she needed to do. She was anxious to get under way, not wanting to waste any time, not with the emergency she just witnessed.

The blue mare looked out on to the horizon from her high vantage point, but even from up in the sky, she could only just see the peak of Mount Marebrum, which was good, because that served as a beacon to their destination. The bad part was the fact that it was still miles and miles away, and while she felt confident she could make it on her own, she had to take Fluttershy with her, and she feared the yellow pegasus couldn't handle it. But, while she didn't want to get slowed down, nor did she want her oldest friend in danger, she knew that she needed a partner in this, just in case something went wrong; somepony had to get the flower back to Zecora after all, no matter what.

After she reached her cloud home, Dash immediately flew inside and began to pack her things. She wanted to travel light, so she only packed enough food for two days, her goggles, and a big blanket to keep her warm in case the parkas just weren't enough if they had to spend a night on the mountain for whatever reason. With everything that she thought she needed in her bags, she tossed them on to her back and hopped a few times to judge the weight.

"Alright, not too heavy. Perfect for a long distance flight. I just hope Fluttershy is up for it." Dash said to herself.

Once she felt ready, it was a quick flight over to Fluttershy's cottage, where she hoped to find the yellow pegasus. Thankfully, her hopes were realized as she saw the pink maned mare talking to one of the local ponies. As she touched down, she started to hear their conversation.

"...see, I need to go and help, so, if you don't mind, could you, umm... watch my animals for me, for just a little while? Pretty please?" Fluttershy asked.

The earth pony with carrots as her cutie mark just gave a laugh, "Oh, don't worry about it, Fluttershy! I owe you one after you saved my garden a few weeks back. This is the least I could do for you. So you do what you need to do, and I'll make sure your animals are okay for when you get back."

The pegasus received a smile, and gave one in return, "Thank you so much, Carrot Top! This is going to help us so much!"

"Glad I could help!"

"Hey, Fluttershy!" Came the familiar voice of Rainbow Dash.

The blue pegasus watched as her friend jumped in fright before turning around, "Oh! Rainbow Dash, you've made it just in time. Well, almost. I still have to pack a couple of things, but I have an animal sitter now, so it won't be long."

"Alright, perfect. Just remember, you have to pack light for this. We're going a long way, so we can't be getting too tired on the way there and not have the energy to get back, alright?" Asked Rainbow.

"Oh, alright. I'll make sure to do that. Oh, and Carrot Top, you can come in with me so I can show you around a bit." Replied Fluttershy.

After she received a nod from the earth pony, the two disappeared in the cottage for a while, leaving an impatient Rainbow Dash outside.

The blue mare wanted to be doing something, and without many options, she began to do some preflight stretches. She normally didn't need them, but the feeling of the muscles in her wings stretching out helped to calm her down, and prep her for an extremely long flight. Her limbs soon became as limber as they could be, and just in time, as moments later Fluttershy has left her cottage, a couple of bags on her back as well.

"Finally! There you are, Fluttershy. So, got everything you need? Ready to go?" She asked, her words spilling out rapidly.

"Yes. I have what I need in case of an emergency. I'm ready to go now. Thank you for waiting Rainbow Dash." Fluttershy replied, giving a bright smile to her fellow pegasus.

Dash looked at the peaceful smile for a moment before returning it, "Alright, great! Come on, we should get moving now. I think we should fly as high as we can and do some shallow angle gliding, like they taught us in flight school."

"Shallow angle? But won't that take longer than proper flight?"

"Yeah, but... I wanna make sure it's something you can handle. You barely fly more than a few feet off the ground anymore, so it'll be easier on you. And besides, it'll conserve our strength just in case. I may be the weathermare around Ponyville, but I don't know what the weather's going to be like on our way to the mountain, it might surprise us."

"Oh, I'm sorry... I wish I wasn't going to be a burden to you..." The yellow mare said, lowering her head.

"Oh! Uhh... hey! Don't worry about it, Shy. It'll be nice to have the company, and besides, it's always good to have somepony watching my back."

"Really? Well... alright then. I guess we should get started. It's a long way, isn't it?"

"It is, but it's nothing we can't handle in a few hours... maybe eight, if the wind is against us. Alright, so, you remember your gliding training, right?"

Fluttershy gave a nod, "Yes. It was one of the things I was alright at. Gaining height was always my biggest problem, but I've gotten over that now." She said, standing tall for a moment of pride.

"Great! Well, let's go then."

With that, the two pegasi took off in to the skies. As much as Fluttershy didn't like going too high, having a friend nearby made it easier, especially with no danger around. Once the air began to thin, they stretched out their wings and glided through the air currents, the two now on a straight course for Mount Marebrum.


It had been hours now since the two of them had taken flight. They chatted casually amongst themselves as they glided to their destination, attempting to pass the time with idle gossip on from Fluttershy, and flight tips from Rainbow Dash. While the blue pegasus only paid mild attention to the casual chatting, the yellow pony soaked in every bit of information Dash was telling her. Despite the knowledge, however, the shy pony still found it hard at times, especially as the hours passed.

Out of the corner of her eye, Rainbow noticed exhaustion was starting to fill her friend's expression, "Hey, Fluttershy, are you alright over there? You're looking tired."

"Oh, I am? Well... I haven't flown this long before in my entire life. It's a lot harder than I imagined it would be. My wings are feeling really stiff too... I'm sorry if I'm slowing you down, Rainbow Dash."

"Hey, don't sweat it... hey, look, if you're getting tired, we can touch down for now, take a break. I'm seeing some nasty storm clouds up ahead anyway, and I don't think either of us wants to get caught in that."

"Alright, well umm... do you want to find a spot for us? If you don't mind, that is..."

"Sure! No problem! I'll have us a spot to sit in no time at all."

Rainbow Dash smiled to Fluttershy, receiving one in kind, before she flew down to the ground. She knew Fluttershy wouldn't be far behind, so rushing ahead was not that big a deal, and it gave her more time to find a clearing for them to rest in. The forest was thick below them, but after a bit of search, it wasn't long before she found a nice and open spot for them to take a break.

"Hey! Fluttershy! Down here! This is a good spot for a break!" She shouted.

As she looked above, she saw Fluttershy descending, "Alright! I'm comi- Eep!"

Dash's eyes widened as she saw her friend get a wing cramp. The overused muscles were wracked with a spasm, the feathered appendage going rigid, and the yellow pegasus began to fall. Acting quickly, she tried to get to Fluttershy before she hit anything, but she winced as she saw the shy pony scrape her side against a branch. Luckily, she managed to catch her falling companion before she hit the ground, "Woah! I got you, don't worry!"

Fluttershy was whining softly, both from the wing cramp and from the sudden hit to her side, so without knowing what to do, Rainbow lowered the pegasus down to the ground and tried to lay her down as softly as possible.

"I didn't know you were that worn out, you should have said something." Dash said, a small frustration in her voice.

"I... I didn't want to slow you down..." Replied the injured pony.

Almost instantly Rainbow Dash's frustrations melted in to sympathy, and her face softened as she pulled back the parka to look at the scrape "Well, it's no big deal. A little rest and your wings will be good at new. And the scrape doesn't look that bad, but it's going to mess up your coat until it grows back..."

Fluttershy felt the pain begin to dull after a few moments, the initial sting making way for a throb as endorphins flowed through her. She turned her head to look at the damage done, just to be sure, and sighed in relief, "Alright... it's not that bad, at least. I won't be holding you back for too long... I'm sorry about all this, I wish I was a better flier..."

"Don't worry about it, not all of us can be as awesome as I am at flight. And beside, I was getting hungry anyway."

"Oh, alright." She replied, before looking to her injury again, "Hmm... but first, do you think you can do me a small favor, that is, if you want." She asked, her shyness still taking hold of her even to this day, though much less than when she first met her friends.

"No problem, what is it?"

"Well, in my bag, I brought some ointments, just in case. Do you think you put some of the stuff in the white bottle on to my scrape? I don't want it to get infected, and this will make it heal faster."

"Is that all? Well, with some reasons like that, I can't say no. Just hold on, let me get it."

The blue mare popped open her friend's bag with a quick flick of her nose, her eyes now trained on the contents of the bag. "Hmm... blue, green, purple... you sure packed a lot of st- Oh! White! Here we are."

"I brought enough medicine just in case. The blue ointment is for cuts, the green is for the colds or the flu, and the purple helps fight hypothermia."

The rainbow maned pegasus held the bottle of white ointment between both of her hooves as she pried the cork out with her teeth. With a pop, the stopper came loose, and she spat it on the ground, "Jeez, sounds like you came prepared for anything, I just brought some food and an extra blanket."

"Oh, well, that's good. I don't think I packed enough food for the whole trip, I didn't think it'd take this long..."

"No sweat, I can share. We might be hungry for when we get back, but then we can stuff our faces while we wait for Zecora to brew up a cure." Rainbow Dash said as she put poured some ointment on to Fluttershy's scrape.

The yellow mare winced slightly, but soon let out a sigh of relief, "That feels much better... thank you, Rainbow Dash." She said, turning her head away from the blue pegasus and resting her head on her forelegs.

"No sweat. I think that should be enough... maybe... I have no idea."

"It's umm... it's fine. Just be sure to re-cork the bottle, or it might spoil."

"Oh, sure."

Dash did as she was asked, and after she re-corked the bottle, she even placed it back in to Fluttershy's bag. "There... now we can take a break. We can share what I have first before we go in to what you have."

Oddly enough, she only got a nod in return this time, but she took it in stride, thinking that her fellow pegasus was too exhausted to do much else. She walked over to her bag and she opened the one she had stuffed with food. Inside was mostly just apples and junk food she had gotten from Applejack and Sugar Cube Corner a few days back, just quick things to eat while on the go. Since she now knew she had to conserve what supplies they had, since it was supposed to feed two ponies now, she only brought out a pair of apples for the both of them to share. She tucked hers under her wing, and brought the other over to her friend, setting it down on the ground as she released it from her teeth.

"Here, it's not much, but it's something for now at least. We can eat again in a few hours. I have half a dozen more apples and some cakes from Sugar Cube Corner. We'll call this a snack break and eat something bigger later. Sound alright?" She asked.

However, she got no response, "Fluttershy?"

Rainbow Dash walked over to the yellow pony, and started to look her over closely to make sure she was alright. As she walked around the pegasus to look at her face, she suddenly knew just what was wrong.

Fluttershy was asleep.

"Jeez... you must've been really tired." A pang of guilt rang through her chest as she fully realized this, "If I had'a known you were this tired, I would have stopped sooner..."

The information continued to weigh in on her, and her head lowered ever so slightly, "Sorry, Fluttershy. Maybe I should start paying more attention to ponies other than myself... I'll make sure you get better. Keep resting up." She whispered.

The blue mare ceased speaking after that, and merely sat down, took the apple from under her wing, and enjoyed her meal in the peace of the forest, letting her friend get the rest she needed, and deserved.


It was hours later when she felt something moving beside her. It was also at this point that she realized she had fallen asleep as well. Looking to see what it was, she found that Fluttershy had rolled over in her sleep and an errant hoof gently fell on to the blue mare's side. Dash chuckled lightly before scooting away slowly, not wanting to wake her friend just yet.

Rainbow Dash got up and performed a few basic stretches, mostly to get the out the kinks she gained from sleeping on an uneven bed; it was a harsh transition from the clouds she was used too. Once she finished, she decided it was time to get moving again. It was the evening now, and they had a lot of ground to cover still, especially if they wanted to make it back in time.

"Alright, Fluttershy, time to wakey wakey..." She said as she moved over to her friend's side.

When she didn't get a response, she raised a hoof and poked at the shy pony for a moment. Still nothing. Quickly becoming impatient, she started to shove and shake her friend gently, just to wake her, "Shy! Wake up!"

The sudden burst of stimulus seemed to do the trick, causing the yellow pegasus suddenly jumped in fright, her eyes shooting open as she dove in to a bush, a loud squeak escaping from her mouth.

"Ugh..." Was all Rainbow Dash said as she brought a hoof to her face, "Well, at least you're awake. Sorry to rush you, but we should be going. You should be all rested now, right?" She asked.

A moment later, Fluttershy finally realized there was no danger and left the bushes to stand in the clearing again, an embarrassed blush on her face, "Oh um... sorry about that, Rainbow."

Dash watched as her friend stretched her wings, checking them over to make sure they didn't hurt anymore, "I think I'm okay to fly again for a while now. I'm all rested up, thank you very much for this, Dash."

"Hey, it's no sweat. I'd do anything for a friend. I also owe you one for being smart enough to bring medical supplies. If you hadn't, well, who knows what's going to happen up there."

Fluttershy gave a meek nod and a smile before she straightened out her saddlebags, "I'm ready to go, would you mind leading the way, Rainbow Dash?"

"No problem! I'll fly up and find a good spot to start gliding from. Hopefully that storm's passed by now."

The rainbow maned pegasus took to the air, getting a feel for the winds and scouting around. Luckily for them, the storm was looking to be finishing up, and would be gone by the time they got close to it. "Alright, Fluttershy! The coast is clear! This looks like a good height to start the gliding."

"Alright, I'm coming!"

Soon enough, Dash was joined by her companion, and the two set off, gliding their way towards the mountain.

"I can't tell... how much farther do you think it is?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well... from this distance, I can see the base of the mountain, which was a lot better than before when I could only see the peak. I'd say we'll make it there by tomorrow, and then... yeah, by the time we make it back, it'll be about three days, which should be plenty of time to spare, I hope."

"I hope so too... poor little Apple Bloom. Why did this have to happen at all, let alone to her?" She asked.

"I wish I knew, cause then I could make whatever was behind it pay before kicking it out of Equestria!" She said, putting on a brave voice, "But, I don't know what it was, or what it could even be. I just hope that somepony out there knows how to deal with it for real, instead of just a cure to fix the aftermath."

"I hope so too, Dash... I hope so too."

Together, the two flew off towards the mountain, the light of the sunset bathing them in red and orange. They flew, with a hope in their hearts that this would all be better soon.