• Published 17th Dec 2011
  • 9,148 Views, 624 Comments

Banishment Decree - Neon Czolgosz



Gryphon warriors don't get fired, they get banished.

  • ...
22
 624
 9,148

11. Adventures in Nostalgia, Part 1

"So. I guess I should tell you all about Trevor, right?"

We're all sitting in Pinkie's hideout after the two bombings, one foiled and the other not-so-foiled. Goodflank, the lazy spy, lover of gang-bosses and failed terrorist snores on the table, out cold from Trixie and kept that way by the Twilight's magic. The librarian-turned-counterintel-specialist-turned-librarian-again-turned-counterintel-specialist-again hums as she patches up my injured wing.

"Friendship is magic, Gilda, but he was still acting eyebrow-raisingly strange," she says, "ponies don't come back from the dead every day, after all."

"I must admit, it's odd that you'd be so trusting considering how he acted at the refinery," says Trixie, "You're either becoming less paranoid or horribly nostalgic. I'm not sure which thought worries me more."

There's a thoughtful look on Rainbow Dash's face. It looks odd on her. "I know a few guys I'd trust if they reappeared like that. There's three of them in this room."

"I'm pretty sure you weren't lying to me, buuuut I like stories anyhoo so go ahead and tell us about Trevvie-Wevvie," chirps Pinkie. I grin a little, I can't help it. Trevor would have liked that nickname. He'd have heard it and grinned that weird public-schoolcub grin of his.

I crack open a can of lager and sit back in my chair. "Okay, I'll tell you guys a story. It ain't a nice story, it ain't fun for me to tell and I don't want to tell it twice. The only bird I've told the whole thing to was a Griffon Intelligence counsellor. I figure I should tell it once more though. And I don't – you guys are pretty much the only ponies or griffons I'd talk to about it. Even you, Pinks." Pinkie smiles at me. It's not her big stupid smile. It looks like one of Dash's smiles, when she tries to cheer me up. Pinkie rests a hoof on my forearm. I don't brush it away.

"Okay, cubbies," I say, "Let me tell you about a little place called Nainuoc..."

*

*|*

*<|>*

So yeah, Nainuoc. Big place, lots of jungles, full of deer, nothing to eat but noodle soup, so damn hot that your ovaries start sweating. There's been a civil war there on and off for two and a half decades now, though it's cooled down lately. It started off as a small thing between the white-backed deer and the water deer, but things changed, and when I was there six years ago it was between the East and the West of the country.

Now, officially neither the Blackwings nor the Griffon Kingdoms had any stake in this conflict. It was a civil war in a country that doesn't border griffon territories and was really just a proxy war between the Provincial Donkey Nations backing the Western side and the Camel Sultanates backing the Eastern side. Officially, the only griffons you'd find in Nainuoc in the last decade were mercenaries, working for the highest bidder and entirely unaffiliated with any clan or tribe.

Unofficially, we were pouring resources into the Western side. See, there are some ruins in Nainuoc that important griffon figures visited; they're very culturally important to us. The donkeys pay them no mind, there's nothing in them about growing potatoes or making whiskey. Camel sorcerers on the other claw? They'd be on that like stink on shit. It was in our interests to make sure the Sultanates didn't even know these ruins existed, so we had to make sure they couldn't get far into Western Nainuoc.

Toi Thung was our firewall. It's the city in the valley between two huge mountain ranges in the middle of the country. Toi Thung was split evenly between the Westies and Easties, and there was a cease-fire in place. They'd skirmish and occasionally take one block of the city from the other, but neither side had the resources for a big push. Griffon Intelligence wanted to keep the status quo in place, so it sent resources to the Western side of the city to make it impossible to take in one swoop, and sent teams on sabotage and scouting missions in the jungles East of the city to stop the Easties from massing resources for one giant assault.

Five months before Toi Thung, my superiors pulled me out of my boring-as-shit desk job analysing field reports from Nainuoc, sent me on a brutal, six-week crash course training with a Small Wing Service unit, then shipped me off to the jungle as a 'griffon intelligence advisor' for one of the squads down there. Turns out me and a bunch of other birds were being groomed for that role, birds smart enough to be useful in the field but not so smart we weren't expendable. They wanted people with analysis skills closer to the ground. I spoke a bit of French and had our contacts memorised, so I got picked.

They attached me to a seven-bird FOG team – that's the Field Observations Group – who were okay, for a bunch of warriors. Well, Trevor and Cheese were all right, and Butch wasn't the worst NCO in the world I guess. Gina, Griz were dweebs, Danish was a fucking mad dog and I hated Poke. When I first got assigned to them they were all in a pissy mood because they had to cubsit some whiny, know-it-all desk-jockey spook. Me.

The funny thing is, by the time Toi Thung happened, I kinda got along okay with them. Except Poke, that dickhead.

So anyway, we did a bunch of missions together, it was too damn hot, I hated it, spent most of my time in a damp tent squinting at damp maps and intelligence reports. After four months of that, we were in Toi Thung. I had this contact, Ngyuen, and she'd gone dark a week earlier. She was holed up in d'Hotel Veritas, an ugly thirty-story building at the edge of the Eastern-Western border in Toi Thung, Banlieu Huit. Either she was trapped, a defector or defunct. If she was trapped or traitor, we had to retrieve and debrief her. If she was dead, we had to secure her intel and materiel.

We were all in position, in a ruined bank across the street from Hotel Veritas. It was sundown; it took us the whole day just to get there from our safehouse. See, both sides were using weather magic to boil the clouds with ice and lightning. If you went above the cloud layer you were toast, and if you flew underneath it the sheet lightning would backlight you. There were shardslinger batteries on the ground ready to rip you to shreds if they spotted you, so we had to stay low on the ground.

Two water deer sat outside the front door of the hotel, playing cards on a fold-up table, ninety yards away from us. They had blowguns and cheap hoofblades. Our two sharpshooters, Gina and Trevor, lay waiting at adjacent windows on the first floor. Each had a crossbow trained on one of the deer. Cheese and Griz were spotting for them. Sergeant Butch and myself were the flankers, keeping the position secure. Danish and Poke were hiding behind cover on the other side of the street, two shadows in the night, ready to sprint and finish off the sentries as soon as the shots were fired.

I've never met a griffon or pony tougher than Danish. Big dude, all muscle, like a bunch of hams glued together with quiet fury. He was there on my Small Wing Service training crash-course. He shouldn't have been possible. I've never seen anybird that big move so fast. Melee training with him was a joke; he could've torn our instructor's face off with a single swipe. This one time, on exercise, he slipped and landed on a jagged rock, tore a gash in his left claw. While we're flying along, I see him wash out the wound, grab a needle and thread from his kit, and start sewing himself up in mid-air. He'd push the needle right into his palm, barely wincing. I heard him muttering, "I am one-" *srunk* "-RIGHT-" *srunk* "-HARD-" *srunk* "-CUNT!" as he stitched. In the field, I'd seen him crush a trio of deer commandos with enchanted blades, using nothing but his bare claws. Freakin' invulnerable.

Sergeant Butch passed me a signalling mirror, then pointed in Danish and Poke's direction, nodding. The dark grey camo paint daubed on her face and beak framed her eyes, giving them a crazy, psychotic look. She wasn't crazy, though. Butch was the most level-headed of the unit, apart from Cheese. She moved over to the crossbow teams, gave them the signal, then gave me the signal. I moved to a hole blasted in the corner of the bank and used the mirror to signal Danish. The giant block of muscle raised his right claw, and gave the 'all set' signal.

Butch gave the order. Gina and Trevor each dropped a bolt through the necks of the two deer sentries. Poke and Danish sprinted from cover and finished them both off, covering the deer's mouths and stabbing madly.

Butch ordered us up, and we all crossed the street to the entrance. Danish snuffed the lamp above the front door and Poke covered the two bodies with a tarp. Griz picked up one of the blowpipes next to the sentries' card game. Two cards lay face up, a pair of knaves, streaked with blood. There was something wrong with the bottle of booze. I grabbed the bottle and took a sniff.

"Careful, Griz," said Gina, "Those blow-darts are savage, one prick and you're out for a day. Like the sergeant on shore leave."

Butch rolled her eyes. “Watch it...”

Griz froze, then put the blowpipe down. "Right. Thanks for the eyes-down. We've got antidote, right?"

"Four doses, that's it," said Cheese, adjusting the heavily-modified spectrum goggles on her head. Cheese had done chemistry and engineering at Condorcorum Polytechnic. Freakin' genius. She was one of our medics, and our demolitions specialist. "You'll be out for an hour anyway, also, too."

The booze was wrong, very wrong. I took a look at the bodies as Gina checked the entrance for traps.

"These knuckleheads still got guards posted," said Poke. I fucking hated that guy. Most of the FOG unit were psychos but Poke went out of his way to be a flankhole. Killed a deer foal once, couldn't have been older than eight. He hadn't seen us, but he'd seen half a pack of cigarettes next to the path and picked it up. Poke crept out of cover, grabbed the kid, snapped his neck, hid the body and told the squad the kid was about to give our position away. Kept the cigarettes to himself. I'd been trying to push him into enemy fire ever since. "Looks like this dump is still in western claws," said Poke.

"No. These aren't westerners," I said. The bodies were wrong too. The squad looked at me. Poke sneered.

"Moneyshot, I've slotted enough Easterners and Westerners to tell the fucking difference-"

*

*–*

Rainbow Dash interrupts me. “Who's 'Moneyshot?'”

“I've heard that name before,” says Trixie.

“Moneyshot was my nickname,” I say. I stop myself from clenching my claws into fists. Force of habit. “See, half my job in Nainuoc was taking pictures of stuff and sending them back to headquarters. One night, I'm stuck in the observation post with Poke, Griz and Danish. I take the lens cap off the camera and there's this white goop between the cap and the lens. I turn around and the others are giggling silently like fuckers. My pictures were boring, Poke said, so he gave the camera a 'moneyshot' to spice them up. The name stuck.”

“Wait, what was the white stuff – did he – oh. Ewwww!” Pinkie's face switches from confused to grossed-out.

“Yeah. Not a huge fan of that name. Anyway, as I was telling...”

*–*

*

I cut him off, "The sentries were drinking honeywine, you don't get it in the west. Westerners wouldn't drink it anyway, they all drink rice wine, it's a patriotic thing. They're wearing western uniforms but they're made of hemp, not cotton. There's a cotton embargo in the east. These are disguises, damn good quality."

The sergeant nodded and then said, "So, Ngyuen hasn't cacked up a reply, she's dead or compromised. Same plan as before. Stay out of sight, remove sentries, be prepared for an ambush. Assume Ngyuen is unfriendly. Gina, take point."

Gina slid a mirror under the front entrance, checking for anything inside. All clear. She nudged the door open and we followed her inside to the dirty, dilapidated hotel lobby. The wallpaper was peeling and the room stank of damp and sweat. Everything of any value had been stripped, either to be pawned or melted down. Two elevators, one out of order. Stairway to the right. The remains of the hotel bar to the right.

A noise crunched from the bar. Hoofsteps. Bored muttering in French. Butch signalled us to hide behind the front desk. She and Danish crouched down either side of the door to the bar. Butch drew her poniard, a classy, blued blade that'd been passed down her family. Wasn't enchanted or anything, just so well-made you'd think it was. Danish didn't take out anything, he just flexed his massive claws.

Two deer walked through the door, dressed the same as the sentries outside. Danish and the sergeant checked there was nobody following them, then pounced. Butch slipped her dagger straight through one deer's ribcage and twisted. Danish grabbed the other by the throat, killing him with a soft little noise.

I didn't feel anything, then. Two months before, when they first dropped me in the jungle, seeing the squad slot some stupid dweebs like that made me feel wrong, sick to my stomach, like I was hollow inside. I had nightmares after Poke wasted the kid. By the time we were sneaking around d'Hotel Veritas, though? Nothing.

"The bar's a dead end and thirty flights of stairs are too risky," said Butch, wiping her blade, "We'll take the knackered elevator, pop the top and fly up the shaft. Crackers, check the elevator."

"Aye aye," said Cheese. Cheese and the sergeant had a professional history together, and the sergeant always called her Crackers for some reason. She doted on Cheese. Very good friends.

Cheese took out her tinkering kit, a leather roll of tools, mirrors and technomantics. I sat by her, passing her the tools and holding the viewing scopes as she fiddled with the elevator door. Unlocking it was easy; spoinking the trap inside without setting it off was less so. The rest of the squad stood guard, tense as gargoyles.

Cheese snorted and smiled, then gently pushed the metal doors open. A pulsing, angry-red fruit the size of a pineapple hung at face height, caught up in a web of wires. If me and Cheese hadn't cut a few of those wires, opening the door would have squeezed it tight.

"A blooming peppercorn in a wire snare, freaking genius!" whispered Cheese, "They don't even need a noise maker, if that thing sprayed juice in the air the whole darn building woulda heard us. Oh molly, I'm taking you as a souvenir."

We couldn't say 'no,' 'stop,' or 'Chingis, my eyes,' before she hopped inside with a set of wirecutters and clipped the peppercorn free from the wires. We were all damn lucky it would only squirt juice if squeezed too hard. Cheese stuffed the scaly, red fruit into a sandwich bag, then wrapped it in rags and strapped it to her kit. She was crazy with stuff like that, but Butch never had a problem with it. For every crazy risk Cheese took in the middle of an operation, she'd develop five awesome bits of kit from it. Cheese gave the 'all clear' signal, then the squad went into the shaft and started climbing the elevator cable.

We climbed slowly, just in case the deer were canny enough to set wire traps inside the shaft. We had our wings for support and extra push, but climbing thirty floors with your face next to Gina's ass sucked. It took us ten minutes to reach the top.

Danish pushed the elevator doors apart with his powerful claws, barely grunting from effort. I heard a confused noise in French from the hallway above, and a set of hooves trotted to the elevator. Danish grabbed the deer and thumped him, then next thing I know there's a knocked-out deer falling down the elevator shaft. Nearly clipped me in the wing, too.

We climbed into the 30th floor hallway. It was clean and well lit, not a pit like the lobby, and it stunk of noodle soup and cabbage instead of rot and damp. There were doors to the penthouse suite, a maintenance closet, and the stairway. Poke and Griz took the lights out of the sockets, Butch and Danish checked the maintenance closet, Cheese opened the working elevator shaft's doors and disabled the elevator mechanism, and I sealed the stairway door with uber glue. It wouldn't have been enough to stop a couple of determined deer from battering the door down, but it'd stop anyone from just waltzing in.

We finished the prep, and then Butch signalled us into position. She checked under the penthouse door with her mirror, then raised a claw. There were two targets inside. Danish took out a roll of yolos – griffon sweets, they're rabbit-flavoured toffee dipped in chocolate – took one out and smooshed it against the peephole. Danish and the sergeant readied up, then the sergeant knocked on the door.

"Hoang?" asked a voice behind the door. Sergeant Butch looked at me.

I pressed a knuckle to my throat so I wouldn't sound griffonish. "Les lumières sont baisées, ouvre la porte." My accent was off. We prayed it wouldn't matter.

The door opened. Danish grabbed the deer at the door and slammed his head into the doorframe, knocking him out. Butch leapt over Danish's back and tackled the second deer, who'd barely had time to get out of his chair. She pinned the deer to the ground and wrapped her arms around his neck in a tight chokehold. He was out in three seconds.

Danish and the sergeant gagged and tied the two deer, and the rest of us filed in, weapons raised. Poke and Griz had a poniard and handbow each, Gina and Trevor had their shortbows. The rest of us had flechette carbines, the break-open single-cartridge ones. Dunno if the Equestrian guard ever used them, what with unicorns and all. The carbine would crunch two depleted gemstones together and shoot a bolt of magic at the target, hard enough to break a set of ribs, or kill with a headshot. If you capped a cartridge with quartz, it would send shards through flesh and bone. Cute little things, but loud as a drunk donkey.

The front room was massive and split into two levels. The upper level looked down onto the lower level where we were, and a rickety spiral staircase led up to it. The lower level was plush, with rugs, two sofas, a big coffee table coated in food and beer, a few bookcases. Nice place, for a hotel in a warzone.

We must have been loud, because a deer on the upper level poked his head over the railing to check out the noise. Poke flew up and pulled him over; Griz and Gina grabbed the deer mid-air and tied him up. There was a shout in French from the upper level. Another deer had seen Poke. Poke pulled his handbow and shot. The deer wailed in pain, and I flew up to see what happened. Poke had missed the neck and shot him in the front leg. The deer dived into a doorway at the other end of the room. Two more deer craned their necks out, then slammed the door and cried alarm.

Poke yelled, "We're spotted, get up here now!" Me, Danish and Trevor flew up, then sprinted to the door. Poke pulled a flashbomb and reached for the door handle, but Trevor stopped him. Trevor took two folded squares of cardboard, both 12" by 12". Special mouseholing cut-outs, with det-cord on one side. They unfolded twice over, and he placed them on the wall three meters left of the door, one just above the other. The det-cord is wedged between the cardboard and the wall. Trevor crunched the acid-vial fuse, stepped back, and counted down on his claws.

Three. I raised my carbine. Two. Poke pulled the pin on the flashbomb. One. Boom.

Poke pitched the flashbomb as we rushed into the smoking hole in the wall. The flashbomb wasn't strong enough to blind and deafen, just enough to distract your target for half a second. It was all we needed. Danish grabbed the wounded deer by his front leg and hurled him into another deer. The fastest deer had flipped a table and taken cover. It would've worked better if Trevor didn't have wings. He flew straight over and dropkicked the deer with a nasty crunch. The fourth deer tried to draw a mouthblade. I slammed the muzzle of my carbine against his face, then swiped his front kneecaps from the side with the butt. His head hit the floorboards. I dropped an elbow into his liver, just in case he felt like getting up.

"We've got a runner!" said Poke, pointing at a swinging-open door. He chased straight forward and we had to follow. I looked over my shoulder and saw Butch and the rest of the squad come into the room. Butch and Cheese followed; the rest tied up the prisoners.

The next room was a cluttered kitchen. We vaulted over workstations and chopping blocks to get to the other end. Poke reached the shut door at the other end, dropped to his knees and slid the mirror under. He gave the 'all clear' signal, twisting the door handle with the other claw. The door didn't budge.

Poke said, "Room's clear, I need a charge-"

"CHAAAAAARGE!"

Danish slammed into the door at full speed, knocking it off its hinges. It led to a reading room full of documents and technomantics. There was a circle on the floor, filled with glowing runes, and more daubed on the walls. We ignored them. We shouldn't have.

To the left, a sliding door led to a small stairwell. I took point and scaled the stairs, Trevor right behind me, the rest of the squad bringing up the rear. I kicked open the door at the top.

At my front and right, a raised landing pad took up a quarter of the roof. There was a set of ventilation units between me and the pad. I saw a glimpse of a deer and a glint of metal, then I got tackled from behind. Three thin blades skittered across the rooftop where I had just been stood, dripping brown liquid. I saw the liquid hiss and sputter as it ate through the roofing tar. Trevor rolled off me.

That was the first time he saved my life that night.

The deer flung more blades across the air and at the door. "Get to cover," I yelled. Cheese and Gina slid to the ventilation units we were hiding behind; the rest of the squad stayed in cover. Butch and Griz blind-fired their carbines from cover, slinging shards of crystal towards the deer with a loud thundercrack. The blades kept coming.

"Normal deer don't have bladeslingers," I said, over the *tink-tink-tink of blades hitting the floor. "It's Ngyuen. Crazy bitch has us pinned down."

Trevor readied his composite shortbow. "I don't fancy she's coming in for debriefing, Gilda. Mind if I drop an arrow through her heart?"

I held up a rubber-tipped cartridge for my carbine. Still powerful enough to break ribs. "If I bring back a live defector, I might get a promotion out of here," I said, "and you dudes wouldn't have your crazy jungle fun messed up by lame spy crap any more."

Gina grinned and nudged me. "Ah, they'd just send you someplace more dangerous with worse weather, 'cause you've got 'field experience' and can 'take pressure.' They'd give us another damn spook, they always do. 'Sides, you're a solid molly, Moneyshot."

I grinned back. By that time, Moneyshot was more 'fond' than 'fuck-off'. Still hated it, but it was better. "Be my guest and put her down, Trev," I said.

"I'll need a distraction," he said, pointing to the knives flying overhead, "bangers out."

We used bangers to flush targets from cover. Six inch metal tube, yank the cord in the middle and a nasty acid eats through a thin membrane stopping two lumps of depleted amethyst. They sizzle like a banger sausage when the acid fuse sets off. Then they make a big bang. And shrapnel wounds.

Cheese took one out as Trevor nocked an arrow. She yanked the cord and pitched it towards the landing pad. The explosion cracked the air two seconds later, Trevor instantly shot up, took aim and fired at Ngyuen.

Trevor said, "She's down, zone's clear!"

We left cover, and the squad headed to the landing pad. Ngyuen lay near the edge in a pool of her own blood, with an arrow through her ribcage. Her mouth hung open, her small tusks twitching as she drooled blood. A qirin bladeslinger lay next to her, sleek and ceramic, splattered with red. In the middle of the pad sat a fat ceramic tube, a meter high, pointing skywards.

There were more runes painted on the floor here. Some glowed but others were painted in something thin and clear, so you couldn't see them. A trail of these invisible characters led off the landing pad, and probably back into the building.

We shouldn't have ignored those either.

Griz took her med kit out and started to inspect Ngyuen. She shook her head. "She's schtupped, there's a severed artery. She's got less than a minute."

Ngyuen coughed blood, and muttered something to Griz. Griz looked at me. "Yo Gilda, what does 'jiganya' mean?"

"Je Gagne?"

"Yeah."

"Huh. It means 'I win'," I said.

"Uh, guys?" Cheese pointed at the ceramic tube, her voice rising, "There's a fuse at the bottom of that mortar, guys. It's on fire, guys. It's nearly at the base-"

"Squad, get down!" said Butch.

I hit the floor and the air exploded. All I could feel was ringing in my ears and pressure rippling through my body. A few seconds later, the air flashed bright above us.

I pushed myself to my paws and looked up. It was a firework mortar. It had exploded into a burning deer skull with snakes crawling from the eye sockets. Everybird else was looking up at it too. It continued to burn.

"Well, that's ominous," said Cheese.

Thin beads of light started to rise from rooftops in the distance. More fireworks in response, all simple blue flares that flashed and burned in place. All the colour of the Eastern army. More than a hundred different rooftops set off flares, most on the Eastern side of the Banleui Huit.

The ringing faded, and we heard the noise. A low, angry drone. Danish flew into the air to hear better.

"Eastern war-cry," he said, "Deer streaming into the streets."

"Chingis, this is the launching ground for an assault on Banlieu Neuf," said Sergeant Butch, "and Ngyuen just triggered it."

Trevor perched on the Eastern side of the landing pad. "I can see alarms going up on our friends' side," he said, "Orders, sergeant?"

"The streets will be a meat-grinder, they're not an option," said Butch, "We'll fly towards the Western side, and as soon as we're out of range we'll light yellow flares. Let's hope they're smart enough not to fire on friendlies."

"We're going to bear Western colours? That'll blow our deniability out of the water."

"We've got no choice, it's that or get minced. Cheese, pass out the flares. We're going now. Gilda, if your spy code means you need to burn some documents or put some hairs on door frames or some bullshit, you're out of luck." She looked sterner than usual under the blue light of the flaming skull above us.

"Not a problem, sergeant," I said. Not collecting any intel would set my work back a few months, but I preferred some extra work to being dead. I walked towards Cheese to get a flare, and saw a trail of Ngyuen's blood touch one of those runes I shouldn't have ignored.

Every rune on the roof flashed bright purple, and the building shook for a few seconds.

"The fuck was that?" said Poke.

"I don't know, but we're leaving right now," said Butch, "Everybird strap in and form on me."

"There's something coming up the side of the building," said Trevor, "It's coming up - jings!" He jumped back from the edge and landed on his flanks.

A wall of shimmering black light shot up the edge of the building, and arched over us in a dome. Dark, forbidden qirin magic.

Danish was hovering above me when the eldritch web clipped the farthest feather of his wing. He didn't have time to scream before the fire destroyed him. He didn't even have time to look shocked.

The toughest griffon I'd ever met drifted down onto me, all hot ashes.

Author's Note:

Yes, it's back. Break out the salts and bourbon.

I'd like to thank my wonderful pre-readers and editors, theRedBrony, Solarius, ZarieSkelton, Honey Mead, MuffinOverlord, Rallag and Brony_Fife. You would not believe how useful their feedback was, and how quick their responses were.