• Published 11th May 2012
  • 14,919 Views, 1,928 Comments

Breaking Barriers - chief maximus



Rainbow Dash finally has her chance to try out for the Wonderbolts!

  • ...
45
 1,928
 14,919

23. Show Stopper

Chapter 23- Show Stopper

Grimacing, Macintosh raised his left hind hoof and slammed in into his right ankle, hoping the stab of pain might help to keep him awake. Instead, all it did was rattle the silverware and attract the bemused attention of the two princesses at opposite heads of the table.

"Tired, Macintosh?" Celestia asked.

"You could say that, Your Majesty," Mac said, fighting to maintain some semblance of dignity in the presence of his monarchs.

"We have ridden Macintosh rather harshly this week, We must admit," Luna mused, dabbing her lips with napkin. "But he will be a better stallion for it."

Mac blushed, smiling down at his salad. "It's been tough, but I know Rainbow will appreciate it."

"Indeed she will," Luna mused, taking a sip of her wine. "We cannot wait to see the look on her face."


"Thanks for helping Beebop with her math, Twilight," Spitfire said, loosening the tie of her uniform as she took a seat on Twilight's couch.

"Oh, it's no problem at all," Twilight insisted, fetching a few basic math workbooks. She laid them out in front of the couch where Spitfire lay. A shy filly doing her best to hide beneath her mother's wing waited for Twilight to address her. "Just as long as little miss Beebop decides I won't bite," Twilight continued, smiling warmly at the filly. A gentle nudge from her mother, and Beebop fluttered out of her embrace and onto a cushion next to Twilight. The young mare looked nervously at Twilight before turning her soulful eyes back to her mother.

Spitfire waved a wing towards her. "Go on, sweetie, Momma's gonna sit right here while you practice math, okay?" Beebop hesitated, before nodding and turning back to her new teacher.

"Okay then, let's get started. My name is Twilight Sparkle." Beebop withdrew, her tiny wings trying in vain to cover her eyes.

"... I'm Beebop..." she whispered softly.

Twilight smiled. "Nice to meet you, Beebop." Twilight flipped open what looked like a coloring book with a few simple math problems on each page. "Now, would you like to show me which of these you know how to solve?" Beebop's ears flattened worriedly as she looked back at her mother.

Spitfire nodded patiently as she picked up a crayon and began working a few of the easier problems. "You know, Rainbow mentioned you home schooled your foal," Twilight commented.

A smirk crept over Spifire's face. "Yeah, Rook likes to talk."

"I can see why. I wouldn't want cameraponies chasing my foals around either," Twilight said, looking up from her pupil. "But why bring her to me?"

Spitfire's eyes bounced between her daughter and her tutor. "Uh... Rook said you were the best in Equestria," she stumbled, fidgeting on the couch. "I can make it worth your while."

Twilight waved her hoof. "No, no, money is not a problem. The princess gives me more than I need to keep the library going." She refocused on her student and began helping her work through the more difficult problems. Spitfire sat back on the couch and watched the two of them hard at work. It was usually Soarin's job to help their daughter on weeknights, but Spitfire had specifically requested a weeknight with her daughter.

"Soarin's supposed to take care of this kind of thing, but he only does it sometimes," Spitfire added. "Stallions for ya."

Twilight scoffed before praising Beebop on a problem well done. "I guess."

"You... guess?" Spitfire raised an eyebrow.

"W-well... I haven't really ever been in a relationship, per se..."

"Oh!" Spitfire replied. "Um, I mean, it's a lot of work if you're not prepared for it..." She looked down at her hooves and sighed. "Even more if you rush into it..."

Twilight pretended not to catch Spitfire's mumbling, but she was well-aware of her marital troubles. All of Equestria was, in fact. Though she was apparently still on good terms with Soarin, Twilight couldn't help but think what could come between a mare and stallion that already had a foal of their own. Twilight turned her attention back to the task at hoof. With Spike spending more time with Apple Bloom and her friends, she didn't mind the company.

Still, something about Spitfire's visits struck her as a bit... odd.


The final full day of practice before the show had left Rainbow more than ready to flop down on her cloudy bed and sleep until showtime. As Dash filed into the locker room behind Soarin and Firefly, her tail flicked anxiously from side to side. The show was only a day away! Dash was careful to never let her nerves get the better of her, though there was little she could do to suppress the butterflies in her stomach.

Her practice flight suit felt as though it had been painted on as she began to peel it off. They were washed daily, but were filthy after even a single day's use. Rainbow's mind hadn't exactly been dedicated to practice lately. Mostly, she'd been preoccupied with what Mac could be up to for five days in Canterlot. Despite having practice, she had half a mind to see what he was up to herself.

"Rook, what's your problem?" Soarin's gruff tone snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, nothin's wrong," she replied quickly. "Just excited for the show."

The snap of a towel on her cutie mark echoed through the locker room as she yelped. "Eckshited, or shcared?" Firefly teased, twirling the towel between her teeth.

"I'm not scared!" she snapped, emphasizing her point with a crack in Firefly's direction with her own towel.

"Stop with the grab-ass, ladies." Nearly everypony jumped to attention as Spitfire appeared from the hallway. "Soarin, I need to see you in the office."

He smiled as he threw his practice uniform in the clothes bin. "Sure, just let me—"

"Now." Silence blanketed the locker room as Spitfire retreated, followed closely by her ex-husband.

"Pfft, Soarin's good looking and all but you'd think she'd give somepony else a shot," Firefly commented, getting a few chuckles out of Rainbow.

"Yeah, or you'd at least think she'd wait for him to shower before going for a ride." They both shared a laugh as they trotted towards the showers where some of the other Wonderbolts were already rinsing off the day's dirt. Rainbow twisted the brass valve, praying she wouldn't be doused with ice water or scalded with heat. The plumbing in the Cloudesium was spotty at best. A temperate stream of water soothed her as she allowed her tired muscles to relax before committing to the chore of washing herself.

"Seriously, you ready for this show or what?" Firefly asked, already lathering shampoo into her mane. Rainbow grunted. Her part in the show had shrunk considerably since Spitfire had found out she was pregnant. Now, only four months into her term, she was regulated to a simple closing at the end of the show. One Sonic Rainboom, if possible. Yes, if possible was also included in her orders. Nopony knew what effect supersonic flight might have on a developing foal, or even if the added weight would allow her to perform one in the first place.

"Yeah, not like I have anything tough to do..." Firefly could only imagine how much it must have hurt to have your challenging-yet-rewarding routine replaced with something a flight school student could do. Well, minus the Rainboom.

"C'mon, just 'cause your routine is easy, doesn't mean it isn't worth doing!" Firefly said, trying to cheer her up. "Besides, it'd be a shame if Captain Spitfire got wind of you not taking your duties seriously..."

Rainbow glared at her before washing off the suds she had built up. "Chill out, will ya? I'll nail my routine, don't worry." Firefly smiled.

"You better hope so. Spitfire is gonna eat you for lunch if you don't!"

Dash snorted dismissively. "You just make sure you know your stuff. Spitfire put me in charge of making sure you don't mess up, remember?"

Firefly smiled. "Yeah, yeah. Let's get preened so we can go home."


Macintosh tossed and turned in his sleep. He was lucky to get this much. His nerves had kept him awake all night in anticipation of the next day. It was the day one of the most important ponies in his life was going to debut to the world the talent she'd worked to improve tirelessly for years. Though she'd complained a few times about her role in the opening show being cut back, she certainly lit up every time she spoke of it.

He dreamt he was sitting in the audience of a Wonderbolt show, watching Rainbow Dash zoom over him performing tricks and stunts the likes of which he didn't think possible. His cheers were just one of thousands as he craned his neck to the skies above. In an instant, the other spectators disappeared. Their cheers vanished and Mac was left alone, staring at an empty sky.

"She is quite the catch, Macintosh." Mac nearly jumped out of his coat at the sound of Luna's voice practically in his ear. He turned in the direction of the voice as a disembodied smile hovered beside him, before eyes, ears, a head, muzzle and mane appeared, followed by the rest of her body.

"P-princess Luna? What are you doin' here?"

"We walk through dreams by night."

Mac raised an eyebrow. "This's a dream?"

Luna giggled. "Oh yes. Most do not realize they are in dreams even as the truly bizarre takes place around them."

"So, Ah'm not really here?" he asked.

"No, you are asleep inside the palace," she assured him. "We are in our night chamber, though I'm simply taking respite to deliver a message."

"A message?"

Luna nodded. "What do you know of the legends surrounding the alicorns, Macintosh?" she asked.

Mac thought for a moment. It was a topic only briefly covered by his schoolteacher. "Well... Ah know they're fair, an' wise, an' got some powerful magic in 'em." Luna smiled.

"Indeed, but we harbor a lesser known ability. Are you familiar with foresight, Macintosh?"

Mac paused. "You mean like, bein' able to see the future?"

"No, not quite," Luna replied behind a soft smile. "We cannot foretell future events exactly as they will unfold, but we can get an idea of how certain actions will affect the parties involved, be that outcome beneficial or harmful."

Mac looked back up to the sky he'd been watching, which had now turned into a vibrant sea of stars. "So Ah take it you've come ta tell me somethin' about my plan?"

Luna shook her head, starry mane waving gracefully in an unfelt breeze. "Not about your plan. About your life."

"M-my life?" Mac gulped.

"Fear not, gentle Macintosh," she said calmly. "The life I foresee for you and Rainbow Dash is a happy one." Mac sighed in relief. Ethereal bad news from a demigod was the last thing he needed weighing on his mind before he enacted his crazy scheme. "However." Mac's heart froze in his chest. He turned his attention back to his dreamworld companion. "Your happiness will not be so easily given."

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Nay, it shan't be given at all," she whispered gravely. "You must be willing to take it—to fight for it, for her, and for your foal. Nothing less than this commitment can We accept from you, if you desire to marry an Element of Harmony," Luna demanded.

"Are you sayin' somethin' bad's gonna happen to one of us?" Mac asked darkly.

"We cannot say for certain, but know this. If you are not willing to fight for your mare if the time came, then I cannot allow you to wed such a vital part of this kingdom's deterrence against aggression."

Mac wrinkled his nose indignantly, before recalling such a face. He was still in the company of royalty, after all. "So, all that my sister and her friends are to you is safety?"

"They are vital to keeping all of ponykind free, but make no mistake, We do not take such ponies for granted. We are not at liberty to speak on such topics, but suffice to say there will be a major shift in the royal house in the coming months," she explained. "It will be a very fragile time for the diarchy, and so it is imperative that the Element bearers all harbor no ill feelings towards any of the ponies they are charged with protecting. Do you understand now, why We had to make sure you were committed to Rainbow Dash?"

Mac nodded. "Ah do. Don't worry, Your Highness, Ah'll make sure nothin' bad happens to me, Rainbow, or our foal." Luna rose from her seat and tilted her head towards him, her horn gently resting on his forehead.

"See that you do not."


With a bright flash from Luna's horn, Mac awoke with a start inside the room the princesses had given him. As he caught his breath, he glanced toward the heavy curtains blocking the large window beside the bed. Shafts of light beamed through the ornately sewn columns of fabric as Mac looked at the grandfather clock at the end of the hall. He threw his legs over the side of the bed and clumsily stretched his knees. He was used to getting up early, but not the comfort of a pegasus down bed and pillows. They were hard to part with, he had to admit.

He looked toward his yoke hanging on a post of the bed. He hadn't worn it since he arrived. Princess Luna insisted on his leaving it behind, and he could guess why. Mac stepped out of the bedroom and into the well-lit living area where the delicious smell of hot breakfast wafted into his nose. He closed his eyes, savoring it before resolving to find its source. Following his muzzle, he ended up near the door. He looked through the peephole and saw something sitting just outside his door. He slowly opened the door and stuck his head into the hallway.

"Hello?" he called, before taking a look down at what was unmistakably meant for him. A silver dome with a small vase of flowers sat expectantly by his hooves. He gently picked it up and returned to his room, closing the door with a hind leg. He set the silver tray down on his massive dining table, now certain something delicious was waiting for him beneath the dome. His reflection grinning in the polished metal, he removed the lid as a bit of magic dissipated from the food. He had read some fancy restaurants used magic to keep food from getting cold from sitting around too long. He couldn't imagine the castle being any different.

Even the flowers were tasty as he plucked the last pedal from the stem. Though, in retrospect, they were probably more for decorating than for eating. After such a filling meal, he knew he either needed a back forty to plow, or he'd be asleep in that wonderful bed again. However, today was the big day, the reason he'd trained the past week. As he sat back in his chair, he noticed a small square of paper beneath the corner of his plate. Flipping it over, he realized it was a note from the princesses.

Dear Macintosh,

In the armoire, you will find the clothing you will need for today. We've already let Captain Spitfire know of our arrangement, and she will point you in the right direction once you arrive at the show grounds. We'll be watching! Good luck!

-Princesses Celestia, Luna and Cadence

With a renewed sense of purpose, Mac opened the armoire and removed the apparel and a can of body paint. With a lump in his throat, he began to ready himself for his once-in-a-lifetime chance to propose to Rainbow.


The crowds had gathered early that afternoon, ready to watch the first show of the Wonderbolt's season in the sleepy hamlet of Ponyville. The fallow fields outside of town served as a welcome seat for both pegasi and ground-bound ponies. The arena and performance boundaries were still being set up as Rainbow passed through security. She quickly changed into her uniform and milled about with the other Wonderbolts as they mingled with celebrities and those who had managed to secure backstage passes to the pre-show event.

She chatted with Firefly for a bit, only to take a seat by herself as she tried to calm her jittery nerves. "Rainbow Dash, there you are!" Rarity's voice lifted her head from the clouds as she walked toward her friends.

"Hey guys, thanks for coming!" she exchanged hugs as the muffled noise of the sound system outside rumbled backstage.

"We wouldn't dare miss your first show!" Rarity insisted. Rainbow sighed, a smile plastered over her features. "Darling, is something the matter?"

Rainbow was certainly grateful her five best friends were there to support her. She looked around them. "Nothing... it's just, you guys haven't seen Mac, have you?" Each of her friends shook their head.

"I bet he'll show up," Spike answered, smiling smugly.

"A'course he will!" Applejack assured her. "If my brother said he was gonna do somethin' he's gonna do it." Applejack tipped her hat. "Besides, you wouldn't be the only one lookin' for his hide if he decided ta blow this off."

Dash smiled, but she had fully expected Mac to actually use the backstage pass she'd gotten for him to wish her luck, or at the very least come see her before the show.

"His seat is next to yours," she whispered to Applejack. "You better let me know if he doesn't show."

Applejack grinned. "Don't you worry, sugarcube."


"Ladies and Gentlecolts, colts and fillies, welcome to the Wonderbolt season opener!" The announcers booming voice echoed through the open expanse of field. Cheers rumbled through the air as countless fans waited impatiently for their favorite Wonderbolts to show. "And now, presiding over the evening's events, the princesses themselves!" The crowd cheered again as three alicorns took their seats next to the Elements of Harmony in the royal box. After a brief wave to their subjects, the sun began to sink and the artificial lights dimmed.

"Now, for the first time this season, allow me to introduce the newest members of the Wonderbolts flying team! First up, the two new stallions: Con Trail and Jet Lag!" Two stallions flew up from behind the crowd and landed on a cloud platform in the center of the arena. "And our two newest mares: Firefly and Rainbow Dash!"

Dash and Firefly flew out together, hooves held as they landed on the cloud next to their male counterparts and waved to their fans.

After a brief moment in the spotlight, the rookies flew to their starting positions. "Now, without further delay, it is my pleasure to introduce... the fabulous, Wonderbolts!" Strobe and laser lights burst forth from the pyrotechnic pony's horns as the stunt team began their routine. Dash waited impatiently for her moment of glory, all while keeping an eye on Firefly's moves.

Before she knew it, the minutes had passed, and the time for her stunt had arrived.

Okay, just a straight shot across the field, with a Rainboom in the middle, she thought, sliding her goggles into place. Let's do it.

Rainbow leapt off her cloud and built up speed as she plummeted towards the ground. She had plenty of room to build up enough momentum, the real test was: would she be able to? Dash hadn't flown this fast since Cadence's wedding, and she was still not near fast enough for a rainboom. C'mon Dash, the whole team is counting on you! Push it! Her ears folded back and her wings drew in by her sides as her airspeed continued to increase, the familiar cone beginning to form around her. She was nearing the arena, and knew she would have only one chance to pull this off and prove to Spitfire she belonged on the team, pregnant or not.

As she reached the edge of the speed of sound, she glanced down at the royal box to see all of her friends watching with wide eyes, except for the one she truly wanted to see her perform. Mac's seat was still empty, and she was the closing act. The realization shattered her concentration, and she passed over the crowd as a sky blue blur, nothing more.

Dash clenched her eyes shut and gritted her teeth. That two timing mudpony! He promised me he'd be here! she seethed to herself as she took a wide turn, doubling back towards the arena. The announcer's voice had already begun echoing through the open fields, a sign the show was ending. Rainbow opened her eyes, a new sense of fury washing over her as she forced herself faster. These ponies paid for a Sonic Rainboom, and that's what they're gonna get!

The cone formed around her again as she pushed herself harder than she ever had before. For a brief second, she thought about the foal still in her belly. The terrifying thoughts of hurting her foal paled in comparison to a public failure. Fueled by her anger at Mac, and being sidelined by Spitfire, she gave her wings one final push before casting her radiant stunt across the sky, to the cheers of the crowd below. Dash pulled up, letting her speed bleed off until she hovered in the air before falling back down to Earth.

Rainbow landed next to the other Wonderbolts on the cloudy stage, the aftereffects of her stunt still hanging on the horizon.

"I almost thought you weren't gonna make it," Firefly whispered from her right.

"You... wish," Dash panted in reply.

"Ladies and Gentlecolts, this year's Wonderbolt flight team!" the announcer boomed, the spotlight shining on Princess Celestia to close the show.

"My little ponies, this has been a wonderful evening with all of you, and a special congratulations to the four newest Wonderbolts," Celestia said, her regal features exuding calm. "But before we go, I'm afraid there is still one thing that must be taken care of." The gathered masses muttered amongst themselves, wondering what this mysterious event might be. "Rainbow Dash, Soarin Nimbus, will you please step forward."

The other Wonderbolts left the cloud, leaving only the two pegasi before their ruler. "With pleasure, Your Majesty!" Another spotlight shone behind Celestia, where the gasp from the crowd could have given away the owner. Soarin stood behind the princesses, smiling down at Rainbow and the would-be Soarin.

"It seems we have an impostor in our midst," Celestia added, catching Soarin's smile as Dash took a step away from the pony next to her. He looked toward her, his goggles hiding his eyes and his uniform hiding anything else that might identify him. His snout, ears and wings were blue, as was his tail.

"Who the heck are you?" Rainbow asked, raising her goggles to get a better look at him. Slowly, the mystery pony removed his goggles, a pair of shining green eyes stared back at her. Rainbow's heart nearly stopped. He unzipped the hood of the uniform and shook out a decidedly dirty blonde mane as he tucked his wings in by his side.

The tip of his muzzle had been painted to match Soarin's, as well as his ears and wings.

"M-mac?" she stammered.

"Eeyup."

Dash blinked, still unsure if what she was seeing was true. "But, how do you have wings?"

"Ah wanted my proposal ta be memorable, and the Princesses agreed." He turned to face her completely. "So they helped me out with some temporary wings. Princess Celestia told me she wanted to practice giving ponies wings, but she wouldn't say what for."

Dash closed her mouth, putting a hoof to her forehead while she tried to process what had just been dumped in her lap. "But, you—you flew Soarin's whole routine? With wings you got, what, five days ago?"

Mac shook his head. "Nah, I swapped places with him after his stunts were all done, so Ah could do this." He scooped up a bit of cloud material and blew across it, the cloudstuff wafting away to reveal a small box that fit in his hoof. It was a jewelry box.

"Do what?" she asked nervously, though she already knew what he had in mind.

"Ask you somethin'," he replied, keeping his cool in front of roughly fifteen thousand ponies and the country's royalty.

"You mean, this is why you were in Canterlot? You went through all of this trouble, just to set this up?" she squeaked, sounding more like Fluttershy than her usual self.

"Eeyup." He sat down on his haunches, still holding the box in his hoof. He brought his eyes up to hers, light rings around her eyes from the pressure of her goggles. Her mane was frazzled and sweaty, her tail was bunched in knots, but he didn't care. There was no way she would ever look unpresentable to him. Mac took a deep breath, his nerves showing for the first time that evening. "Rainbow Dash." He opened the box, the light from the spotlight shining through the ruby, emerald and diamonds set in his mother's wedding earring. The reflection in Rainbow's eyes shined even brighter, accented by the moisture threatening to spill from the corners. "Will you marry me?"

The silence was absolute. Not even the nocturnal animals dared breathe until Rainbow spoke. In a moment that seemed to take hours, Dash looked at the hopeful face of the stallion before her, then back to the family heirloom he was holding out to her. She'd never made an easier decision.

"Yes."

Author's Note:

Thanks much to the editors listed on my page! I realize I said Pinky Pie drinking time was going to come out first, but I'm stuck there. I've never been good at writing Pinkie, and this is no different, so I must ask you bear with me on that one. It'll get an update, I just don't know when.